Maurice Cheeks to get third interview with Pistons

Marc Stein of ESPN:

Cheeks, according to NBA coaching sources, was summoned to Detroit this weekend for a third-stage interview for the job vacated by Lawrence Frank’s dismissal in April.

Sources told ESPN.com that Cheeks’ trip was actually his first visit to Detroit as part of this process after conducting his first interview for the job by phone and then meeting separately with Los Angeles-based Pistons owner Tom Gores.

The consensus in coaching circles is that Detroit is closing in on a choice between Cheeks, currently an assistant coach in Oklahoma City, and former Seattle and Portland head coach Nate McMillan.

This news makes Cheeks a clear favorite to get the job, though I wouldn’t assume it’s inevitable. Perhaps, Nate McMillan also has another interview coming – at least I hope he does. I much prefer McMillan to Cheeks.

Cheeks has a history of mediocrity, and though McMillan’s floor is probably similar to Cheeks’, McMillan’s ceiling is much highereven if many don’t understand how his teams succeed.

Want to feel more excited about Cheeks? Watch this:

• Jun 2, 20133:15 am
    by Mel

Yeah, the feelings mutual. Gores mess this up by bringing Jackson in. I wasn’t cool with bringing the enemy to our turf in the first place. Drama Queen Jackson. I couldn’t understand why so many fans where excited to have Jackson assist in bringing a new coach to Detroit. He doesn’t care about the Pistons, for those that remember the history would know. Then he shows his true face and dogs the 2004 team. Funny how that whole Bulls team and coach are still bitter about the Bad Boys spanking that A$$. Ha, I love it. Gore’s better go on Youtube and study the Pistons history before he try to make moves like this. It makes him look desperate. Just let Joe D pick the coach, if he messes up then you would have a real reason to fire him. But if Gores pick another coach and it fails what would be his reason to fire JD. I want McMillian as coach not Shaw I don’t care how good he is , I would hate to here Jackson talking smack about him helping to bring back the Pistons from the dead. His ego is already Big.

• Jun 2, 20139:53 am
      by Rodman4Life

Amen brother! Thank God I’m not the only one who feels this way?

• Jun 2, 20133:32 am
    by mshansky

cheeks is what’s left over when all decent candidates are either hired or have no interest.
    his record of mediocrity compares “favorably”  with Frank, Kuester, Curry. he meets all the criteria Joe requires: noplan, no particular respect of the players, he will trumpet defense, and have a terrible defense. he will mess with rotations,but, alas, in another 2 years, back to the coaching carousel. Perhaps he will “lead” us back to othe lottery,which is the only place we will be able to improve the woeful talent on this team…..another donut joe? Tom?

• Jun 2, 201310:18 am
      by DasMark

I was going to write a reply to the story, but you pretty much summed up my feelings.

• Jun 2, 20135:58 am
    by Vince

Very keen for this coaching search to be over. Coaches are being snatched up left, right and center and the Pistons are staying put. I get that they’re being thorough with their search, but there is no point in being thorough if all the good coaches are gone by the time you’ve made a decision. I’m personally hoping we sign McMillan at this point, heck Cheeks’ll do. Just sign someone who has proven they can coach at a high level consistently and well before we’re stuck with another scrub of a coach.

• Jun 2, 20136:58 am
    by gmehl

I am stuck between wanting 2 things. The 1st is I want the Pacers to beat that whiny bitch LeBron and the 2nd is I want the Pacers season to be over so we can finally interview Shaw. I am fine with either McMillan or Shaw but am not sold on Cheeks whatsoever. My gut still tells me it will be Shaw but if the Pacers win game 7 then I wouldn’t be surprised to see Joe panic and hire McMillan.

• Jun 2, 20137:43 am
      by Vince

ESPN reported that the Clippers have had preliminary discussions with Shaw, and although that isn’t an actual interview you have to wonder if Joe D has had “preliminary discussions” with him as well. If – hypothetically – Shaw told Dumars he’d be interested in coaching the Pistons but for whatever reason has to wait until the Pacers’ season is over to fully commit that may explain why Dumars is taking his sweet time in making a coaching decisions.

Or maybe Joe D never talked to Brian Shaw and is actually considering Mo Cheeks over the better coaching options currently available.

• Jun 2, 20132:57 pm
        by CityofKlompton

Oh man… if Shaw has already talked with the Clippers (or Nets) I think we are out of the Brian Shaw sweepstakes. We cannot compete with these teams right now.

• Jun 2, 20138:21 am
      by Sop

Agreed. Not sure Cheeks is an upgrade over Frank. McMillan and Shaw are much better options it seems. Although Cheeks may be open to playing all the young players over the veterans. Wait what veterans do we have besides CV and Stuckey? Oh gosh give me Cheeks.

• Jun 2, 20139:09 am
    by jacob

Lots of hating going on today guys.

• Jun 2, 20139:28 am
    by Travis

Most likely Jackson told Gores that Shaw is the guy, so Gores is having Dumars wait it out to interview Shaw, but with the Pacers going deep into the playoffs, I speculate that Gores may become impatient and will hire a coach prior to having a chance to interview Shaw.

• Jun 2, 201311:02 am
    by Ozzie-Moto

Shaw I bet will go to Nets or Clips …  and would only consider Detroit if both those don’t pan out …
    But again I’ve been less than enamored with the process. Gores get Jackson involved so he doesn’t look like he is doing nothing but in the end is doing nothing. Dumars is back to his old comfort zone which has not worked for years. Since Brown and to a lesser extent Flip, he picks people around him that won’t challenge his basketball views. Unfortunately it has been all down hill since his early success. Yes chemistry is important, but so is talent. roster balance, SIZE, and mostly a vision of what kind of team your building. His long list of undersized (underdogs) and “tweeners” and Point Guards that he hopes will “grow into” being point guards just does not cut it.    Lots of smoke and mirrors of change but in the end i see little of it.

• Jun 2, 201311:57 am
    by jacob

I hear everyone bashing mo cheeks but i went and looked at what he brings to the table. It doesnt look too bad to me. Great payer championship experience as a player and coach. Point Guard!! Maybe he can help us develop knight or another point guard. It looks like this might be a good thing. I haven’t seen anyone with any facts as to why he is a terrible coach.

• Jun 2, 201312:04 pm
      by mshansky

Look at his record in Philly. Can you say “Lawrence Frank?”
      Has ANY team shown even a slight interest in him? Interviewed him? He is the next Dumars/Gores waste of time and space, as are Dumars/Gore.

• Jun 2, 201312:00 pm
    by frankie d

Now i am concerned on a  whole ‘nother level.
    If dumars hires cheeks it will make me much more concerned about free agency.  Though it makes no sense for the current  roster, i can see him making that kind of move, as the  only team offering a max contract.
    But hiring cheeks – the very embodiment of the Mediocre NBA Retread Coach – will indicate that dumars is still mired in his own personal slump.  Not a good thing when he has lots of money to spend this summer.

• Jun 2, 201312:03 pm
    by Lorenzo

The Cheeks “mediocre” sentiment seems about right….though even that likely represents an upgrade. I also prefer McMillan but would be curious to know what Cheeks brought to the table during the interview process to impress the brass so much.

• Jun 2, 201312:08 pm
      by mshansky

The problem, imo, is the interview process itself. Gores is a salesman, and evaluates everything based on the sales approach, which is why Frank ended up as coach (his facile verbal skills). Many great coaches are NOT particularly adept at “selling” themselves verbally, but end up as wonderful hires (Chuck Daly).
      Too bad the criteria do not seem to include what they have actually accomplished as a coach…
      Maybe next time…..

• Jun 2, 201312:35 pm
    by ryan

I like Maurice Cheeks because he was a great player and I think he’s a good person. At the same time I lived in Portland and watched his teams struggle. He had some knuckleheads to be sure but I’d still be much, much more excited about Nate McMillan.

• Jun 2, 20132:51 pm
    by CityofKlompton

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jun 2, 20133:12 pm
    by DoctorDave

Well, if the Pistons hire Cheeks, we’ll consider it “National Anthem Insurance.” Everyone should have some of that.

• Jun 2, 20133:17 pm
    by Huddy

It’s interesting that everyone talks about the coaching choice like Dumars just gets to pluck out whoever he wants.  Newsflash, maybe Shaw and McMillan don’t want the job.

• Jun 2, 20134:15 pm
      by mike

Then he should be fired. A big part of the GMs job is ability to sell players and coach’s on  joining your team. If Joe isn’t even able to do that with coach’s,, then how do we expect him to sell players on coming here in FA?

• Jun 2, 20134:44 pm
        by CityofKlompton

Tell me how we outsell the Clippers and Nets. We have a couple of pieces with potential, cap space and a mid-lottery pick in an incredibly weak draft. Not to mention Detroit is not a destination spot to begin with. The Clippers and Nets both already have quality playoff teams with proven pieces in place that are already competitors located in a top geographic destination.  We would have to straight up lie in order to outsell these guys right now.

• Jun 2, 20136:20 pm
          by Huddy

Exactly, talking like any available coach should automatically take our job because of pure salesmanship is like wondering why we aren’t assuredly signing Dwight and Chris Paul this off season.

• Jun 2, 20134:12 pm
    by mike

It looks like Hollins could be out in MEM, as they’ve allowed him to start interviewing with other teams.

I swear if we just settle on Cheeks or McMillan before even interviewing Hollins/Shaw, I’m done with this team.

• Jun 2, 20135:06 pm
      by Travis

The Hollins interview(s) with other teams is a positive since it puts another popular head coach candidate on the market. Hollins will have solidified himself as the #1 candidate and #2 being Shaw. The question then remains – who will the Grizzlies interview & hire?

• Jun 2, 20134:25 pm
    by DTroyEveryThang

If the Pistons consider signing anybody but Shaw or Hollins, Dumars should be fire! You have that to get a coach that fit your current roster.

• Jun 2, 20134:46 pm
      by CityofKlompton

We don’t really even know what our current roster is at this point. Should we wait to hire a guy until free agency is over?

• Jun 2, 20134:46 pm
    by DTroyEveryThang

I’m not worry about landing Shaw or Hollins, the only competition that we really have as far as teams is the Clippers. The Nets are a joke, their over rated. I’ll take the Pistons current roster over the Nets roster any day and we got money to improve the team.

• Jun 2, 20134:55 pm
      by CityofKlompton

Of the Nets are a joke then we must be beyond laughing at. They beat us out in arguably 4 out of 5 starting positions (3 without argument) and have a better bench than we do (but that’s not saying much. We may have cap space but we don’t know how that’ll pan out. The Nets are already playing playoff games (home ones at that) and we’re about to make our fourth straight lottery selection in the draft.

• Jun 2, 20135:14 pm
        by mike

The Nets are a joke because they don’t have enough talent to get out of the 1st round with HCA, and are capped out with no draft picks, so they have no chance of improving. Not sure why any coach would want to take that over.

I’d say IF the Pistons are even smart enough to pursue him, it could just come down to us vs the Clippers. And given the Clippers have a lot of other candidates in mind like Shaw, Scott, JVG, etc, I think we actually have a great chance to get Hollins, just by process of elimination.

It may actually prove that all this waiting by us was a great move. All the other teams filled up their jobs with retreads and assistants, and now the good coach’s are startng to become available, and we are 1 of only a few position available. So if they want to coach next year, they may not have a choice but choosing us.

Personally, I think if Hollins is upset with MEM ownership being cheap, its hard to see him choosing to go work for Donald Sterling instead. And while the Nets owner would seem to be the guy to work for, if you want an owner to spend, it doesn’t how much money he has if they are capped out.

The Pistons are kind of that happy medium. We have a rich owner willing to spend, and have the capspace to do it, as well as have great young talent in place that fits his system with our bigs.

Considering there’s only a few openings left, I’d say our chances of getting one of Shaw or Hollins are pretty good

• Jun 2, 20135:30 pm
          by CityofKlompton

I have to admit, I like your logic.  Also the fact that we have Phil’s name (temporarily) attached to ours means Shaw coming to Detroit is completely plausible.  I would love to have Hollins as well, but I think he eventually stays in Memphis unless the Nets really want him and start a bidding war.  However, if it ends up coming down simply to rosters and future outlook, I don’t think we can keep up with the other teams at this point.

• Jun 2, 20135:59 pm
          by DTroyEveryThang

Mike my man, you get it! I love your blog

• Jun 2, 20136:28 pm
            by mike

Thanks. I don’t have  a blog though. But maybe I should start one? haha

• Jun 2, 20135:28 pm
    by DTroyEveryThang

This should be the Pistons roster next year and all of these is realist moves!

STARTERS:       BENCH:
    Knight                Bayless(free agent)
    Rice JR(draft)    Stuckey                    English
    Granger(trade)   Middleton                  Singlar
    Monroe              Jerebko                    Charlie V.
    Drummond        Zellar(draft)               Kravtsov

And if Indiana don’t want to dump Granger on the Pistons, then the Pistons can go after Wilson Chandler or Dorrell Wright. If Dumars make these moves he can personally call up the Bobcats and say take this 20 something pick and eat a dick!

• Jun 2, 20135:35 pm
      by CityofKlompton

Who did we ship out for Granger (I only see our UFA’s missing here) and why would the Pacers want them?

• Jun 2, 20135:48 pm
        by DTroyEveryThang

I think it wouldn’t take that much to get Granger because of injury’s and Indiana got to pay George next year them big bucks. Even though I didn’t show it on my earlier blog, you can through in Singlar or/and Kravtsov and future 2nd round pick.

• Jun 3, 20138:52 am
      by G

Who’s the PG on that team? I only see Bayless, who would actually start over Knight if you’re thinking Knight will play the point.

• Jun 2, 20137:44 pm
    by The Rake

I’m not taking a third interview as a good sign. Cheeks is a better singer than coach. This is pretty depressing news if this is who we end up with. Truly. If the best we can do is a recycled guy with little coaching success, then I would start to think that the franchise is nearing being truly, truly broken. Come on. I’m all for waiting to see the results, but Cheeks? Nah….

• Jun 2, 20139:21 pm
    by domnick

Lionel Hollins is leaving Memphis… we got to grab him now!

• Jun 2, 20139:25 pm
    by Keith

There are two lines of thought going on here, and both seem pretty accurate. First, Cheeks has no history of excelling or developing talent. He is the poster child for coaching retreads and people should be downright upset that he is currently the frontrunner for the position. Second, the team is terrible, management is questionable, and our market is not attractive. A coach can’t really make a name for himself here unless he leads us deep in the postseason, and our team appears years away from even attempting something like that. Our best player is probably Greg Monroe, an unathletic one-way player. Our best potential is in the incredibly raw Andre Drummond who currently cannot be trusted in any important scenarios because he can’t hit the broad side of a barn with a free throw. After that, the roster is a debacle.

We should be reasonably outraged if the Pistons again decide to pick up a known poor coach just to fill the vacancy. But, we should also be realistic in accepting that we are a bottom-feeding team and Detroit, as a city, is widely panned in the media. Just think about job hunting yourself. What kind of person would decide to become a manager in a flailing company with incompetent upper management? You have a few really capable employees with questionable work ethic (holes in their games), but the rest the employees can only barely do the jobs they have.

Only two people would take that job over others. One, someone who just needs a damn job, who will tow the line for upper management, and who is just happy to be getting paid until the company needs another excuse for its incompetence. Two, a highly ambitious man, likely passed over or overlooked until now (an assistant), but who absolutely believes in his ability to turn the company around. Now, a good owner always wants the second man. That’s the kind of guy that can make everyone around him look good. But those kinds of guys don’t come around that often, and is quite possible not a single one exists in the current candidates. We need a great coach who is motivated by more than just winning and losing (in which case there are better jobs out there), we need a coach who is dying to prove to everyone that they are idiots for not giving him a chance earlier. We need someone who would pass up the Clips and Nets because he wants all the credit for himself, and doesn’t want everyone to just say, “Well anyone would have succeeded there.”

• Jun 3, 201310:50 pm
    by Mark

Say no to Mo
    looks like we will be interviewing Shaw soon. Miami looks strong to return to the finals.