Kevin Martin interests Pistons

Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:

Thunder G Kevin Martin expected to get interest from OKC, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Minnesota, Dallas and Detroit, source tells Y! Sports.

The Pistons want a wing scorer, and Martin would provide that. Martin, who shot a career-best 42.6 percent on 3-pointers last season, would help space the floor for Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe.

But Martin is 30 years old and struggled through the playoffs. It’s worth considering how much those postseason failures were merely the result of a small sample or indicative of Martin’s decline.

• Jun 30, 201311:42 pm
    by Max

If the Pistons sign Martin, drafting KCP over Burke would becomes about a hundred times worse.

• Jul 1, 201312:11 am
      by Tony J

That’s true but at 6’7 he can play some SF. My only problem is his that he weighs 185 pounds. I wouldn’t mind this move if he gained some weight but with him being 30, I don’t really see that happening.

• Jul 1, 20139:38 am
        by G

My main problem is Martin is a horrible defender. The Pistons need a guy who can at least hold his ground.

• Jun 30, 201311:42 pm
    by Max

If the Pistons sign Martin, drafting KCP over Burke becomes about a hundred times worse.

• Jun 30, 201311:45 pm
    by mike

I like Martin but wouldn’t pay more than 5 maybe 6 mil for him. I don’t think he’s just a bench player on a good team. I think he can start. OKC just has some weird idea that their best SG should come off the bench instead of start. They did the same thing with Harden. Obviously Harden proved last year he could’ve done a lot more for OKC had they given him a chance to start and play more minutes. Martin has already proven himself as a 25 ppg scorer as a starter. At this age though, I wouldn’t expect more than 15-18 ppg, but on a playoff team thats all you need. He’s capable of doing that as a starter imo. If we can get that for about an MLE deal it would be good deal for us.

• Jun 30, 201311:45 pm
    by ryan

Zero interest in signing Kevin Martin. Unless it means we don’t sign Josh Smith then I have 2% interest in signing Kevin Martin.

• Jun 30, 201311:46 pm
    by domnick

another concern for Kevin Martin — he’s injury prone

• Jun 30, 201311:52 pm
    by Matt

I was wondering what we were gunna do at SG. I’d go with Tony Allen myself because he’s someone we could swap KCP with at the all star break. Martin is a good option because he was a 6th man but I don’t think he wants to be. I’d guess he wants to be a starter again and average 20 or more a game like he used to. Than what happens to KCP? I think we need a SG but it should be one that we can transition KCP with. Although KCP is a rookie, Kevin Martin is proven, Gores is sick of losing, and Dumars is fighting for his job. I can see this happening.

• Jul 1, 20139:40 am
      by G

What? Why even draft KCP in the first place if you’re going to do that?

• Jun 30, 201311:52 pm
    by Filo Putz

He’s a good player. Luv the size for the position. Just never have seen his talent as being close to his scoring stats..

• Jul 1, 201312:51 am
    by Quin

PG and SF are most important now, I think. SG will hopefully be covered. Picking up a vet who is looking for security could make us inflexible in years to come if KCP works out.

• Jul 1, 20131:15 am
    by gmehl

I have no interest in Kevin Martin whatsoever. He’s known to be one of the worst defenders in the league? Who cares if you can put up 20ppg when you are giving up the same amount. I’d much rather give that money to Iggy as he can at least keep his opposite man from scoring.

• Jul 1, 20133:10 am
    by Paul Mesa

Stuckey can fill the 2 with KCP. What they need is an SF. They should try to get Iggy or Granger.

• Jul 1, 20134:19 am
    by Moonchild

Way to injury prone, stay away JOe D….Please stay away from Calderon ass well, he wont make it through the season