Kevin Durant wishes Maurice Cheeks well

Kevin Durant:

Congrats to the great Mo Cheeks on getting the head coaching Job in Detroit! He will be missed! He will always be a Thunder

It’s nice to see such a great player recognize Cheeks, and it’s really no surprise. Cheeks is affable, and there are strong indications he’s a good assistant coach, the role he held with the Thunder.

My concerns come with Cheeks’ ability to create and implement a system as a head coach, skills he didn’t have to show while working with Durant.

• Jun 11, 20135:53 am
    by Eric

So join him here in Detroit, KD!

• Jun 11, 20136:17 am
    by Grizz

Good one Eric!

• Jun 11, 20137:01 am
    by Gareth Masters

Let’s see how much sway he has if we decide to pursue one of his proteges, Iguodala, in free agency.

• Jun 11, 20137:17 am
    by Gareth Masters

Incidentally, I’ve decided to tone down my own negative feelings towards this hire and back him all the way. We’re in this together after all. The most important thing is getting back to the playoffs, and to relevancy. Let’s Go!!

• Jun 11, 20138:02 am
      by gmehl

Yep I am feeling the same way Gareth. I’ve had my little cry about it but there is no point keeping on being negative about it. It would’ve been nice to have a bigger name coach but I guess if that so called bigger name coach only came here for money then it would’ve been for the wrong reason. I am just hoping Cheeks can lay the ground work for the next 2-3 seasons for our young core. Hopefully by then if we need to upgrade our coach (no disrespect to Cheeks) like we did with the Rick Carlisle/Larry Brown firing and hiring then so be it. The next job for Dumars now is to get some 3 & D guys (Corey Brewer, Martell Webster, Chase Budinger, Al-Farouq Aminu). We also need someone that can put points on the board in a hurry kind of like when we acquired Jerry Stackhouse. I wonder if Goes has a time machine the rich bastard. Might want throw Big Ben in it as well if e has one :-)

• Jun 11, 20139:34 am

Well, that sounds about like what you could expect from Durant. There’s a reason everyone loves him.

• Jun 11, 201310:13 am
    by joe

Why the guy(Westbrook) that got him the job, didn’t wish him well?

• Jun 11, 201310:26 am
    by joe

So I guess Bennett or/and Zellar is the next stop and then Mayo? I just hope they only pay Mayo, Stuckey money and nothing more!

• Jun 11, 201310:40 am
    by Chris N

“It’s nice to see such a great player recognize Cheeks, and it’s really no surprise.”

Then why make mention of it?

• Jun 11, 201310:49 am
    by Roscoe

It’s really starting to feel like you get pleasure with ending every single post about Cheeks with a snarky comment about his inability to succeed as a head coach. We get it: you hate Cheeks. Do you have to beat it into our heads at every turn? I really enjoy this blog but this is wearing thin.

• Jun 11, 201311:24 am
      by G

This hire sucks and he’s pissed about it. If you want sunshine blasted up your ass, go to the Pistons’ website. Plenty of articles there with a positive bias.

• Jun 11, 201312:01 pm
        by sebastian

Yo, G, I wonder: Do you like the Cheeks hire better than if Gores/Joe would have hired Zeke, as the Head Coach?
        Face it man: Mo’ will be OUR guy going forward and I am a Pistons fan, who believes that he can be successful leading OUR squad back to the Playoffs and to NBA relevancy.

• Jun 11, 201312:45 pm
          by G

Actually, I do like the Cheeks hire better than if they had gotten Isiah. Cheeks has been mediocre as a HC, Isiah has been a disaster.

I’m trying to find a silver lining in this though, and I think I’ve found one. The best coaching job Cheeks ever did was with that 2008 Philly team, which I think was the youngest in the league at the time & wasn’t expected to do much. It could be that the Pistons’ roster actually matches up with what Cheeks does best. It’s pretty thin, but I’m trying to find SOMETHING.

• Jun 11, 20133:09 pm
            by sebastian

G, my man, let’s all continue to search for the silver lining in the Mo Cheeks hiring. of the top, he is a hellava lot better than Cuury, Kuester, and/or L. Frank.
            I think that the players will play harder for him than they have played for any other Head Coach they have had during their respective NBA careers and yes that includes Stuckey, too.

• Jun 12, 201312:43 pm
        by Roscoe

No G, i’m not looking for sunshine and flowers, i’m just saying that ending everything with “PS – eff this guy” is getting tired.

• Jun 11, 20131:22 pm
    by jay

Hey Dan we get that you don’t like the hire but to keep writing posts blasting him is not going to change a thing. Instead it might make you look foolish when he succeeds… so instead of keep repeating yourself,  try breaking some news n find out who will be some of his assistants or will he give us an edge on trying to sign a guy like A.I. away from Denver

• Jun 11, 20131:34 pm
      by G

Iverson hasn’t played for Denver since the Pistons traded for him in the fall of 2008. If you mean Iguodala, a) that’s not his nickname, and b) he’s a declining player who’ll be more expensive than he’s worth. Iggy would definitely be an upgrade over Singler, but his defense is slipping and he doesn’t have an outside shot. The Pistons need outside shooters and defenders, preferably in the same body.

• Jun 11, 20134:05 pm
        by jay

OK iggy then…. since u felt the strong need to correct me…. my point is the pistons are in a very similar position as the tigers were in when they had to overpay for a big name declining player like pudge.  Iggy is still a solid player and he would help turn this culture around in that locker room.  Sign him to four year deal get a good three years out of him n then try n dump him in the fourth. Big names seem to attract big names .

• Jun 11, 20131:36 pm
    by koz

maybe cheeks can get stuckey going in the right direction turn that bad attitude around, ya never know