Kentavious Caldwell-Pope: I’ve had no contact with the Pistons

NEW YORK – Kentavious Caldwell-Pope said he hasn’t worked out with the Pistons and hasn’t had contact with the Pistons.

So, of course, he isn’t expecting to become a Piston during tomorrow night’s NBA Draft.

“It would be surprising just to go to a team that I didn’t work out for,” Caldwell-Pope said. “They haven’t seen me, what I can do. it would just be surprising to me.”

Caldwell-Pope said he didn’t work out for a single team who picks before Detroit (except the Cavaliers, but I’m guessing he was auditioning for their No. 19 pick rather than their No. 1 pick), so I’d think the Pistons could have arranged a work out if they wanted one. Caldwell-Pope said he let his agent arrange workouts, so declining a workout in Detroit wouldn’t have been his call personally if he were invited for one.

Perhaps, the Pistons just have no interest in Caldwell-Pope. Or perhaps, this is a smokescreen to mask their interest in him. That possibility could even include a covert workout both sides agreed not to publicize.

It’s not impossible to concoct a scenario where the Pistons will draft Caldwell-Pope, but Occam’s Razor says they’re not drafting him.

• Jun 26, 20133:20 pm
    by sebastian

Can Joe be as dumb, as WE have become to believe him to be? I hope not. I hoping that KCP has been scouted enough, by Pistons scouts to realize that this kid is the answer at the starting two guard position.

• Jun 26, 20134:27 pm
      by KaBa

Well they have done everything right, if this scenario plays out: nbadraft.net
      They are having going Porter all the way to the 8th spot. I’m not sure that there will be 7 dumb GMs before Joe, but I sure hope so.

• Jun 26, 20134:35 pm

I think the PP boards are getting inundated with that mock draft. The fact that the idea is exciting and stunning is a good sign to take it with a truckload of salt.

• Jun 26, 20135:04 pm
          by KaBa

You are totally right. The thing is, I was more shocked that someone like Porter could fall that much, than the chance that he could go to the pistons. I mean I always thought of him as a much completer player then oladipo or bennett and especially than mccullum.

• Jun 26, 20134:41 pm
        by G

nbadraft.net is a big pile of crap. I’d be pretty happy if that’s how it played out, but no way do the Wizards, Suns, Pelicans, AND Kings all pass on Porter. I respect that site less than I do bleacherreport, and I REALLY don’t respect bleacherreport.

• Jun 26, 20134:52 pm

Yeah, I don’t like to trash other outlets (OK … I kind of do), but I agree 100 percent with you. There’s a reason we no longer link to that site in the Draft Dreams excerpts. They’re super, super wrong all the time. Ford and DraftExpress are head and shoulders above anyone else trying to project the draft.

• Jun 26, 20136:02 pm
            by KaBa

Well I always visit DraftExpress first since they are really trying to gather as much as possible informations, but I kind of never looked(studied?) really at their mock. And a few weeks ago the mocks of both of the sites looked pretty similar.

• Jun 27, 20139:18 am
            by G

You do no service to yourself if you get data from a bad source. I agree with Patrick, Ford & DraftExpress are the cream of the crop. You can check other places, but you’d just be getting lesser versions of the same info or just plain bad analysis.

• Jun 26, 20133:32 pm
    by Edgar

I think this is smoke, but if it’s true… Why would you not do the diligence on a guy that’s generally considered top-15 (wouldn’t be a stretch to take him at 8) and fits exactly what you need? Would Dumars really take a look at this kid and just cross him off the board? Declare him a nonstarter before you even interview him? I don’t think this is true. At least, I hope it’s not.

• Jun 26, 20133:39 pm

Do we need two of this article?

• Jun 26, 20133:40 pm
    by joe dumars

According to Ford the Pistons feel Knight is a SG, not a PG. Buffoonery.

• Jun 26, 20133:49 pm
      by G

Even so, Knight isn’t exactly setting the world on fire so drafting a SG shouldn’t be off the table.

• Jun 26, 20133:55 pm
        by joe dumars

Agreed.

It will be even worse if they go and draft MCW too. Neither one of them should be guarding 2s.

• Jun 26, 20133:55 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Oats is on suicide watch!

But I think its foolish not to work him out…

• Jun 26, 20134:44 pm

If you’ve paid attention over the last couple days, there seem to be some others on these boards who are a lot crazier over KCP than oats.

• Jun 26, 20134:56 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

He was the first person talking about Pope… That’s why I said it..and it was clearly tongue and cheek…

• Jun 26, 20133:56 pm
    by G

Keep in mind – if Dumars drafts Pope, it wouldn’t be the first time he’s picked someone he hasn’t met.

• Jun 26, 20134:46 pm

True but the other guys were solidly higher prospects who probably had no interest in working out for Detroit and unexpectedly fell to them.

KCP would not fit that bill. It would be pretty surprising if he wasn’t available at 8. Of the top 12 prospects, in fact, I’d say he is the most likely to be available.

• Jun 26, 20134:58 pm
        by G

That is a difference, but teams bring in guys they know probably won’t be available all the time. I agree, KCP is almost for sure going to be available, but he’s also very likely to get snapped up a pick or 2 after Detroit, if the Pistons don’t get him. It’s weird that they aren’t even taking a look.

• Jun 26, 20135:15 pm

Teams will if they can. The players won’t necessarily agree to, though. I’m not really sure why that is because I don’t see how it could hurt their draft stock. But it’s how these things go. I doubt Monroe would have agreed to work out for Detroit.

• Jun 26, 20133:58 pm
    by Pistons87

If I recall correctly neither Greg or Brandon worked out for the Pistons prior to the draft and Andre only the day before the draft.

• Jun 26, 20134:11 pm

The difference is, those were guys expected to go higher who fell. KCP would probably be a reach any higher than 8 (and he might even be a reach there), but he might be the best available that also fills a need. The Pistons didn’t work out those guys because they thought they wouldn’t be there. It would appear that they’re not working out KCP because they aren’t that interested, since he’ll definitely be on the board at eight.

• Jun 26, 20134:32 pm
        by KaBa

Chad Ford said it right, do not draft for needs, draft the best possible prospect/talent that is available. Remember that’s what the pistons did 2003, and look how it played out for them ;) Well I always thought Milicic is going to just explode one day, but that never really happend.

• Jun 26, 20135:06 pm

I don’t like drafting for need either and agree with Ford on that point. But incidentally, Ford thinks very highly of KCP as a prospect and has him going ninth.

• Jun 26, 20135:12 pm
          by Pistons87

If talent is equal or close you go with need.  The problem is talent can only be assessed by fallible human beings, so no one can positively differentiate a guy going at 8 and a guy going at 15.  The history of the NBA draft proves this very clearly.

• Jun 26, 20134:00 pm
    by Sop

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This is the best news about the draft so far today!

• Jun 26, 20134:04 pm
    by Pistons87

This leads me to believe the pick is going to be Burke, McCollum or MCW.  I’m guessing Burke is option 1 with McCollum and MCW right behind but I’ve got no idea who would be a better fit.  If they actually think McCollum can be a PG he’s probably the guy.  I was hoping for KCP myself.  I don’t believe BK is a legit SG and is best served coming off the bench.

• Jun 26, 20134:37 pm
      by KaBa

Knight is still very young, and people should start having some (any) patience. Not every single player that comes to the NBA adjusts within hours and is ready to provide anything a team needs. So why on earth should the Pistons take McCollum, he is the guy that makes for me the least sense. Is he that much of a better shooter than Knight? I don’t think so (but hey, I’m not a professional).

• Jun 26, 20134:49 pm

The vast majority of players that become difference-makers in the NBA actually show a good deal in their first two years in the league.

Knight could be the exception, but it’s improbable.

• Jun 26, 20134:59 pm
          by Filo Putz

First thing you’ve said I agree with. When the Piston’s traded for Caderon I thought even though   he was only signed till the end of the year they should have tried to trade Knight.  By the way the thought of him as a shooting guard is not  and never was feasible considering he is not athletic enough to get the basket, can’t guard athletic twos, and can’t create offense off the dribble.

• Jun 26, 20135:20 pm

The problem with trading Knight is what can the Pistons honestly get for him? He could still be a good rotation player and I don’t think they get much in return, so I’d just as soon keep the guy. I just wouldn’t consider him part of the core and use his presence on the team as a significant factor in further personnel decisions.

• Jun 26, 20135:40 pm
          by KaBa

What kind of player, do you expect the Knight to be? I find him quite OK. In my opinion he was not a bad draft, probably not great, but definetely not bad.

• Jun 26, 20134:29 pm
    by Jens

Sacramento made a QO for Tyreke today. What do you expect, does it take the Kings not to match?

• Jun 26, 20134:50 pm

$6M/yr they match
      $10M/yr they don’t
      in between, things are bit more unknown

• Jun 26, 20134:56 pm
        by mike

I give Evans 10 mil of our 20 mil, considering the alternatives

• Jun 26, 20134:57 pm
          by mike

A Burke/Evans backcourt would be awesome

• Jun 26, 20135:17 pm

That sounds awfully steep for me. I don’t see Evans as much better than Stuckey. He is younger and less experienced, so he could yet improve. But is that possibility worth 8 figures?

• Jun 26, 20134:41 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

or maybe Pope skill-set interest Detroit

• Jun 26, 20134:52 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

O r maybe Pope skill-set didn’t interest Detroit

• Jun 26, 20135:55 pm
        by Worm

Yeah, because the last thing the Pistons need is a big, athletic wing who can shoot…

• Jun 27, 20139:07 am
          by I HATE FRANK

If you measure Height, Weight, Body fat, Wingspan, Speed drills, and vertical Drills – and you wanted the best Wing player on the board it would be Shabazz

• Jun 27, 201311:10 am
            by oats

First of all, that’s a dumb way to find someone. Secondly, it would give you Tony Snell unless you put a way higher priority on weight than every other metric. Snell is a little taller and has a slightly better wingspan. He has a .5″ advantage in no step vertical and .5″ disadvantage in max vertical, which pretty much evens out. He killed Muhammad in the running drills. He did weigh 24 lbs less, but his body fat was a good 4% lower. If the requirements for the draft are those combine numbers, then Snell is clearly the guy. I think we can agree that performance on the court should matter though, and that puts Muhammad ahead of Snell. Then again, Pope was a better player than Muhammad, so he should at least be in the running here.

• Jun 26, 20135:36 pm
    by Filo Putz

I don’t talk much to NBA gm’s so I don’t know what they could get for Knight.  But I will say the way the pistons are configured if they’re lucky enough to sign JR smith it would take a lot of pressure off him playing along someone who is a high level athlete who is a great shooter.

• Jun 26, 20136:05 pm
      by KaBa

Woudn’t drafting Shabazz be much cheaper? For me it always looks like JR plays his best ball when he comes of thr bench.

• Jun 26, 20135:51 pm
    by Ryan Kelly

Not sure why peoZoe were so high on kcp.   His interviews are a disaster.   Can barely talk straight.   His game is nice but cj McCollum and Shabazz look like better prospects.   Makes sense for pistons not to look at him.  Rather even have Cody zellar.   And why is everything all about Brandon knighta position.  Who cares if he’s a one or a two.    He may not be good enough to be a starter.  If the pistons draft a pg the hope should be to a free agent starter at the sg and sf spot and put knight on the bench as a sixth man.  He could thrive in that Role.   No reason to force him to be a starter if he’s not developed enough for it.   Maybe he becomes that good.  Still very young.  But the pistons are so talent deprived they have to go with best player available.

• Jun 26, 20136:15 pm
      by Filo Putz

Burke if available at 8,  is in my opinion an upgrade over Knight. But I would prefer that the Pistons upgrade at sg with Mayo or JR Smith (my preference) to relieve scoring pressure off of Knight. His assists should increase and then you can draft someone to fill one of their many other needs.

• Pingback

Jun 26, 20136:06 pm
    by 2013 Draft thread - Page 44

[...] [...]

• Jun 26, 20136:27 pm
    by Tiko

Huge mistake if we pass on him unless Porter or Burke fall

• Jun 27, 20132:55 am
    by joe

Pistons got to land Porter because i’m see that the next GM is gonna have a lot of garbage to clean up!