Detroit Pistons #DraftDreams: Michael Carter-Williams

Info

• Measurables: 6-foot-5, 185 pounds, sophomore guard from Syracuse University.
  • Key Stats: 11.9 points, 7.3 assists, 4.9 rebounds and 2.8 steals per game.
  • Projected: Top 15
  • Hickory High Similarity Score

Random Fact

Carter-Williams played on the same AAU team as potential first overall pick Nerlens Noel. They are very good friends, as they used to hang out with each other every summer during their high school years. Carter-Williams was the main reason Noel almost attended Syracuse instead of Kentucky.

Fits with the Pistons because …

First of all, Carter-Williams is a point guard, which will be a need for the Pistons if they decide not to re-sign Calderon. Second, he’s the type of point guard the Pistons could use. Considering that they will probably build the franchise around Monroe and Drummond, Carter-Williams is a perfect piece because he is one of the best passing guards in this draft. He’ll do a great job of getting the ball to Monroe and Drummond in the post.

While he’s not the most efficient shooter available in the draft, Carter-Williams is one of the best shot creators available for the Pistons. His biggest issue in college was his reluctance to shoot; he could have been much more aggressive.

The best part about Carter-Williams is his height. Not often do you get a 6-5 point guard that’s not shoot-first, he also has great court vision and quick feet, something that’s a rarity in basketball.

Doesn’t fit with the Pistons because …

As I mentioned, Carter-Williams is inefficient. He only shot 44 percent from two-point range and 29 percent from three-point range. That’s a big concern for teams in the running to draft him. There isn’t anything wrong with his mechanics, it’s just that his shot selection isn’t great.

Carter-Williams also turned the ball over on 26 percent of his possessions this season for Syracuse, which could be an additional problem for the already turnover-prone Pistons backcourt. His handles (which are not bad) sometimes work to his disadvantage, as sometimes he has a tendency to force unnecessarily tough passes.

From the Experts:

Chad Ford:

For those who argue yes, they start with his physical profile. At 6-foot-6, Carter-Williams is the tallest point guard in the draft and would be one of the tallest in the NBA. While most big point guards are really 2-guards masquerading as point guards (we’re looking at you, Tyreke Evans), Carter-Williams is a true point who sees the floor and gets others involved. In addition to his size, Carter-Williams is a very good athlete with an impressive 41-inch vertical jump and good scores in both the sprint and lane agility drills. He’s also a nightmare on the defensive end, using his length and quickness to average 2.8 steals per game.

DraftExpress:

While Carter-Williams does not possess a huge wingspan, his combination of terrific size, quick feet and excellent instincts make him extremely difficult for opposing guards to deal with, and give him the versatility to defend multiple positions at the NBA level. Pesky, alert, and extremely intense, Carter-Williams puts great pride on this end of the floor, getting low in a stance and putting excellent pressure on the ball when called upon. He has phenomenal instincts jumping into the passing lanes and a real knack for simply stepping into the right place at the right time to take the ball away, always lurking in the background hunting for opportunities to stick his hands in. It’s no surprise that Carter-Williams ranks #1 among top-100 prospects in steals per-40 minutes, and by a fairly large margin (20%) at that.

On film:

Previously:

• Jun 25, 20134:14 pm
    by MIke

I disagree that he’s the perfect PG to play with Drummond and Monroe because he can’t shoot at this point. Monroe’s range barely extends beyond 12 feet, and Drummond’s range doesn’t extend beyond the restricted area in the paint. They would need to fill the 2 and 3 spots with tremendous shooters to keep the floor spread at all with that line-up.

The reason to take MCW would be his defense. He’s got a chance to be a top 3 defensive PG in the league, while Burke and McCollum are probably hoping to be average one day, and Burke is likely to be well below average for a starting PG. That’s a huge difference.

• Jun 25, 20134:41 pm
      by Crispus

What if we can get JJ Redick and OJ Mayo for jump shooting?

• Jun 25, 20134:48 pm
        by Jameson Draper

JJ Redick might be a reasonable target. OJ Mayo is way too expensive and honestly not worth it.

But yes, I agree with your point.

• Jun 25, 20135:20 pm

OJ Mayo is way too expensive?

How much will OJ cost? Honestly, I could see his annual salary being anywhere from $5M-$13M. That’s a heck of a range. He’d be a bargain at the low end and a catastrophe at the high end. But it’s a bit premature to judge the value of his contract when he doesn’t have one.

• Jun 25, 20136:02 pm
            by KaBa

Well the Pistons would need to pay much more than Dallas is willing to pay, cause what other reason would he have to come to Detroit? Cause he likes the town? I don’t think so. And basing on the fact how much potential this guy had and how far it has taken him, I am to some point dissapointed, although he was willing to work the last year (what a surprise, it was his final contract year). JJ would be a better fit as he is more of the natural shooter the Pistons would need to spread the floor, for their bigs and for Knight.

• Jun 25, 20136:45 pm
            by oats

If they get Howard then Mayo may be pretty easy to get out of Dallas because they only have so much money. Even without that they still might not be throwing piles of money at the guy.

As for Redick, the fact that he stunk in Milwaukee has me nervous. He shot 32% on threes while there, and I really don’t know what the heck happened. I think I’d rather go after him too, but I’m far less confident that it is the right call now than I used to be.

• Jun 26, 20131:00 am
            by jacob

What about instead of JJ  JR?

• Jun 25, 20135:08 pm
        by Mike

Redick would need to be the kind of guy they have to look for if MCW was the pick. You can’t draft MCW and then go after Iguodala unless your gameplan is to just try to suffocate people defensively and then hope you can score 88 points a night.

My biggest fear about a MCW pick would be that they say “he’ll start at the 1, and Knight will play the 2″. Playing MCW with a guy like Knight takes away his biggest strength, which is the ability to guard PGs at that height.

• Jun 25, 20137:24 pm
      by sop

He’s Tony Wroten Jr.

• Jun 26, 201310:26 am
        by G

Who is, MCW? Wroten is a worse passer, shooter and defender, but other than that…

• Jun 25, 20134:56 pm
    by sloppy joe

We need shooter AND to resign Calderon if we want to have any choice to compete.  This wont help.

• Jun 25, 20134:57 pm
      by sloppy joe

God, i murdered that first sentence… you get the point though

• Jun 25, 20135:02 pm
        by mixmasta

Kinda like sloppy joe being joe sloppy?

Point taken though. :)

• Jun 25, 20136:04 pm
        by KaBa

It was funny though! Just keep it up ;)

• Jun 25, 20136:26 pm
      by Jameson Draper

I agree. Re-sign Calderon, draft a wing player that can create their own shot.

• Jun 25, 20135:10 pm
    by Pistons87

Shooting is one of those things that can be improved upon where as height and length can’t be.  That being said I’ll take KCP over MCW and even over Burke.  Where is the hole in his game other then playing at Georgia?  We need a perimeter player who can actually shoot and defend more then anything right now.

• Jun 25, 20135:19 pm
      by oats

Ball handling would be the big one. For all the quickness he showed, he rarely looked that quick in the half court and I suspect it was his poor handles that did him in. That is important to note since he is more ball dominant than the other high end SGs. He also was only a 36% shooter in catch and shoot situations, which isn’t all that good. He’s a pretty average finisher, right around 54% at the rim. I like him more than MCW, but I definitely prefer Burke to Caldwell-Pope.

• Jun 25, 20135:24 pm

You’ve been supplanted as KCP’s biggest fan.

• Jun 25, 20136:05 pm
          by oats

Apparently. I’ve made several posts lately about people getting a bit carried away with their love of Kentavious Caldwell Pope. He’s probably going to be a role player. He fills a role the team needs to fill, but let’s not get too carried away here. Wes Matthews is towards the high end of what should be expected of him. That is a really nice player and a good get in this crappy draft, but he’s not likely to ever be an All Star.

• Jun 25, 20135:59 pm
        by frankie d

ballhandling is definitely a huge hole for KCP.
        for a guy who was such a big part of his team’s offense, his handle was really bad.
        it would be a concern because you would need a very ball-dominant PG and another good ballhandler/facilitator in order to make up for his bad handle.
        it also seemed to limit his willingness to take his man off the dribble.

• Jun 25, 20139:55 pm
          by Who Is Us

Actually his ball handling is above average. He had a very low turnover rate, especially when you consider that he was Georgia’s offense. His big issue is that he tends to settle for midrange jumpers rather than finish at the rim. His catch and shoot opportunities were rarely wide open, defenses cheated towards him knowing that he was carrying the offense and that there was no one else to draw the defense. The fact that he was ball-dominant at UGA is more a product of his horrible team, not him being a ball pounder.

• Jun 25, 201310:21 pm
            by oats

Players can avoid turnovers by avoiding risk. That’s pretty much precisely what KCP did this season. Despite being one of the quickest players in the draft, he really didn’t look that quick with the ball in hands. One of the most common criticisms of him is that he is limited primarily to straight line drives due to his weak ball handling skills. I don’t have a problem with him shooting so many 3s, but he’s definitely not good at getting to the hoop and I think it’s because he isn’t a good ball handler just yet.

• Jun 26, 201310:31 am
            by G

The rap on him is he can’t beat guys off the dribble so he pulls up. Instead of turnovers, it was misses that got rebounded by the other team. All this tells me is he needs a quality PG to set him up. I think he’ll be less reliant on the PG than Rip Hamilton was, but not by much. If he ends up in a good situation, I expect his NBA shooting %’s to actually exceed his college stats.

• Jun 25, 20135:21 pm
      by oats

I forgot to mention that running an offense is easily as big of a need for the team right now since Knight and Stuckey are the two closest guys to being a point guard on the roster.

• Jun 25, 20135:25 pm
        by Pistons87

Problem is you’re not going to get a 1st year starting caliber PG out of this draft.  I think BK can man the position or we can get a vet.  BK might look a lot better at PG if our perimeter players could actually hit open jumpers.

• Jun 25, 20135:36 pm
          by oats

I think Burke can start right away. He’s definitely more capable of handling the position than Knight is. You can’t argue for Knight manning the position but argue you aren’t getting a first year starter when there are point guards that are already better at running an offense than him in this draft. I also care less about first year starter than 4th year starter. This team isn’t a contender next year, so why should I require getting a first year starting caliber point guard?

• Jun 25, 20135:55 pm
            by Pistons87

I’m a UM grad and a Burke fan.  His feel for the game is exceptional (better then most current NBA PG, and miles ahead of BK), but I think he’s may struggle to be a starter in this league because of his physical limits.  He’s not big which is fine but he’s not a jitterbug like most successful height challenged PGs are.  It should be a major concern for anyone drafting him.  I hope I’m completely wrong and he can carry over his success because I love his game (and I normally can barely stomach watching college ball).

• Jun 25, 20136:24 pm
            by oats

I don’t see a likely All Star in him, but I definitely think he’s going to be a competent starter. I see him as comparable to Ty Lawson. I also really like how he fits with Detroit’s big men. He is really good in the pick and roll. Drummond is a great finisher in that situation, and Monroe is above average. He also is good at passing over the top of defenses, another good skill to have with Drummond on the court. He’s got legitimate NBA 3 point range, which is practically a must have for a point guard in Detroit. I really don’t see a guy with his skill set not being at least a solid point guard.

• Jun 25, 20135:13 pm
    by frankie d

i actually dont think his shot selection was bad at all.
    whenever i saw him play, he always seemed to take good shots, within the flow of the offense.  maybe he took too many midrange and long 2s but that is probably because he had no confidence in his 3 point shot.
    the problem i saw is even more concerning than a broken jumper that could be fixed by good coaching.
    MCW seemed to choke under pressure.  at the end of games, especially, his shooting and decision-making seemed to take a marked downturn.
    face it…taking jumpers in front of thousands of people is tough business.  some people can deal with the pressure and stay focused, while others cannot.   he seemed to be one of those guys who tightened up a bit when things got tough.
    i could easily be wrong, but that was a distinct impression i always had when watching him in games, especially in closer games.
    and if that is the case, he’ll never be a good shooter.

• Jun 25, 20135:19 pm
      by Pistons87

I think part of his problem in close games is that he has no confidence in his jump shot.  I’ve seen this guy airball pull-up 12 footers.  Because he has no jump shot to fall back on he’s going to press really hard in close end-of-scenarios to get something off the trouble or play hot potato with the ball.

• Jun 25, 20135:19 pm
      by Pistons87

I think part of his problem in close games is that he has no confidence in his jump shot.  I’ve seen this guy airball pull-up 12 footers.  Because he has no jump shot to fall back on he’s going to press really hard in close end-of-game scenarios to get something off the trouble or play hot potato with the ball.

• Jun 25, 20135:21 pm
        by Pistons87

“off the dribble” not “off the trouble”

• Jun 25, 20135:20 pm
    by Trent

I see MCW as the guy that falls. I don’t think he goes before us but I believe we will pass on him. Basically after that there are teams with great young pg’s until dallas and then Utah. Both these teams seem strong on shroeder and Larkin respectively. I’m not sure we’re this guy goes, I just hope it’s not to us. High-risk picks aren’t what we need this year. KCP is our guy. Lock him up and move forward.

• Jun 25, 20135:31 pm
    by Filo Putz

Obviously Burke is the better player right now but Carter Williams has the higher ceiling. There is a history of guys with great upside not panning out and setting back franchises because of it. The problem is that Burke’s skill set today along with his limitations probably won’t translate to a top 10 point guard. That is why I would much prefer the pistons take the best player available no matter the position. But if you’re going target a point guard I think you roll the dice and go with upside.

• Jun 25, 20136:36 pm
      by frankie d

some team in the lottery will gamble on MCW.
      i might be tempted to do so, at #8, but i’d have to take a stiff shot of bourbon before i did it.
      he will either be a new age michael ray richardson or a jumbo sized jacques vaughn.

• Jun 25, 20136:56 pm
        by Filo Putz

I’d take it if he was Michael Ray(Minus THE CRACK Addiction)

• Jun 26, 20131:52 pm
          by frankie d

MCW is a michael ray richardson clone.
          maybe a little bit better ballhandler, and maybe not as physical as richardson, but otherwise, his game is eerily similar to richardson’s game.
          richardson never developed a jumper with any range, but he was still a very effective player.
          all defensive team, led the league in steals, solid defense numbers.  he could have been a heckuva a lot better – if he’d stayed away from the pipe and worked on his jumper – but he is proof that a guy like MCW can be a very effective nba point guard.

• Jun 25, 20135:36 pm
    by Filo Putz

If i’m the Piston’s GM this my draft board:

1)Mclemore
    2)Oladipo
    3)Noel
    4)Porter
    5)Zeller
    6)Len
    7)Bennett
     8)MCW
    9)Burke

• Jun 25, 20136:09 pm
    by KaBa

Take KCP (if only Oladipo could fall by some kind of magic to the 8th spot) with 8 and trade for dallas pick and take MCW. Keep Calderon (otherwise, a way too young backcourt) and try getting a reasonable SF for Stuckey, if something like this exists.

• Jun 25, 20136:38 pm
      by oats

If possible, I’d rather get Burke at 8. Then I’d be looking at someone like Muhammad, Rice, Karasev, or maybe Franklin at 13. The drop off from Burke to MCW is bigger than the drop off from KCP to those guys I just listed.

By the way, Marion would likely be attached to the 13th pick and isn’t a terrible option at the 3 for a single year. I’d rather make him the backup 4, but if the team doesn’t acquire a better option then Marion would be adequate.

• Jun 25, 20136:56 pm
        by KaBa

You are right, but I think Burke is not going to be there at 8. What I find shocking is the current mockdraft at nbadraft.net. They have Porter falling all the way doen to the 8th sport, something which I think will never happen. The Pistons are right now in a position where they can not do much right or wrong unless someone starts slipping. So no one should be to dissapointed with this years draft. Getting a decent basketballer with good work ethics is what I’m hoping for.

• Jun 25, 20136:18 pm
    by gmehl

This article should be titled ‘MCW draft nightmare’

• Jun 25, 20136:44 pm
    by Ryan Kelly

Rather have McCollum.    Teach guys to shoot kinda like Rodney stuckey eh?    Some guys become better shooters in games some do not.   Look at Austin daye who has a great stroke.   He can’t make shots in games.   It’s in his head.   I rather go with a guy who take the more aggressive players for THIS team.   Shabazz or CJ.

• Jun 25, 20136:44 pm
    by Trent

I know it’s draft time but any noise on potential fa’s?

i would also love Joe or Mo to give an indication on where BK7 will play? The lack of information makes me think he may be available come draft night. Along with the rest of our motley crew (Except Dre and Moose of course)

• Jun 25, 20136:46 pm
    by Filo Putz

If you look at my draft board above that is the order I would select depending on availability. After Mclemore and Oladipo I think the 2 guards left in the draft have similar skills and also similar deficiencies. In the second round I would take a close look at Carrick Felix from ASU who is not that different a player as Pope.

• Jun 25, 20136:58 pm
      by oats

Felix was worse and is 2 years older, so he has less room for growth. Passing on a guy at 8 because a second rounder is sort of similar makes no sense. Mike Muscala is kind of like Zeller or Len. He’s a bit more of a face up player than Len, but not as athletic as Zeller. Still, he’s similar enough that it doesn’t make sense to take those guys when he’s available later. Or you can admit that he’s definitely an inferior prospect to them and take those guys up top. There’s always a guy sort of like the top prospects available later, but they are available later because they are inferior prospects.

• Jun 25, 20137:15 pm
        by Filo Putz

What you said Makes no sense at all. I said I would draft at 8 the player available in descending order on my draft board. Popes not in the top 9 I listed. But if he was taken by the pistons maybe I would look at Muscala in the second round.

• Jun 25, 20138:04 pm
          by oats

No, I misunderstood your point on Felix as an argument for passing Pope. I think it’s because you were talking about the deficiencies of the shooting guards after McLemore and Oladipo. Maybe it was erroneous, but I took that comment about deficiencies to mean that you didn’t see the point in taking any of the shooting guards at 8 because there was a virtually identical player available at 37. Maybe it’s just that I’ve seen way too many posts making that kind of claim lately. Why take Burke with Wolters available at 37? Why take Pope/Muhammad with Snell/Ennis later? I just assumed it was a why take ___ when Felix is available later? I then filled in that blank with Pope since he was a SG you named and he’s someone that should probably be in the discussion at 8.

Looking over it again, it doesn’t seem like I’m all that far off base. Isn’t the argument that you don’t see separation between Felix and the other SGs so you don’t get why someone would take one them at 8? That’s still what it reads like to me when I go back and look at the comment I responded to, and if that’s the case then my rebuttal is still valid.

• Jun 25, 20138:13 pm
            by Filo Putz

Still  can’t make sense out of your rambling reply. For clarity I would take the highest rated player on my board at 8. If you want to get in to Pope I think there’s a big drop off in talent  between my second rated 2 guard, Oladipo to the third rated 2 guard; Pope.

• Jun 25, 20138:47 pm
            by oats

I don’t think I’m being that hard to understand. I probably just misinterpreted what you meant in that comment I responded to anyways, so don’t worry about it.

• Jun 25, 20137:19 pm
    by brandow

ok here is my idea, draft either burke or MCW(if they are avalible). sign josh smith and trade stuckey or knight for a pure shooting guard like klay thomason(sorry if i spelled his name wrong) or monta ellis or eric gordon. heres your starting lineup
    PG. burke or MCW
    SG. klay or monta or eric
    SF. josh smith
    PF. greg monroe
    C. andre drummond
    bench: jerebko, caldron, english, singler, middleton(i feel middleton should be waived cuz there is no need for him in the roster), slava, tony allen(i really love tony and his defensive playstyle. he would definetly fit on our roster)

• Jun 25, 20137:28 pm
    by AYC

MCW- NBA Body, CBA skills.

• Jun 25, 20139:25 pm
    by D_S_V

I’m getting more depressed about the #8 pick every day. What keeps my spirits up is all the momentum the Pistons have from their strong finish of the season.

• Jun 25, 20139:30 pm
      by Jameson Draper

There are still many options.

• Jun 25, 20139:36 pm
      by gmehl

@D_S_V
      “What keeps my spirits up is all the momentum the Pistons have from their strong finish of the season”

I see what you did there…very clever yet also very depressing :-)

• Jun 25, 201311:10 pm
    by mike

I want no part of this kid. I see Wes Johnson part 2. Add in Jonny Flynn and the recent history of Syracuse players panning out is not good.

If he were something special, it would be different, but he screams mediocre to me. Like you could say the history of UConn big men panning out was not good, so we should’nt have drafted Drummond, but he was clearly a special player and not the norm.

In this case, this kid is no different than the other busts from that school, and even reminds me a bit of Austin Daye – the ultimate bust.

• Jun 25, 201311:12 pm
      by mike

Also, why are ppl making such a big deal about his height, as if thats going to make him special or something? He’s only 6-5 – same height as Stuckey, which clearly did absolutely nothing for Stuckeys career.

• Jun 26, 20136:02 am
        by oats

He’s tall and can pass. He averaged 7.2 assists a game at a Big East school. That’s more impressive than Stuckey’s 5.5 in the Big Sky Conference, or Evans 3.9.

• Jun 25, 201311:13 pm
      by mike

If they really want a big PG they should go after Tyreke Evans in FA and play him at the point. He’s a special player.

• Jun 26, 201312:18 am
        by brandow

the kings exercised his player option so he is not a free agent

• Jun 26, 20135:53 am
          by oats

The Kings gave him a qualifying offer, so he is now a restricted free agent. That means that any offer he gets can just be matched by the Kings and they get to keep him. They might let him go if a team offers him enough.

• Jun 26, 20136:05 am
        by oats

@ mike. Evans is definitely the better player, but so far Stuckey has done a better job running an offense. I get an interest in Evans, but it should not be as a point guard. That said, I wouldn’t go for him as a shooting guard. This team has too much of a need for 3 point shooting, and I wouldn’t want to saddle this roster with a guy who only shot close to the league average on 3s during a contract year.

• Jun 26, 201312:42 am
    by BD

Well, it’ll be all about MCW or Burke if the Pistons are truly going to get a PG. MCW seems to be a better than Burke as a pure passer and with his court vision, but his shooting is very questionable. Do the Pistons actually need their PG to score? Or just try to set up for Monroe and Drummond? It ultimately depends on what other teams do on draft night.

BTW, I heard the Pistons are going after J.R. Smith per Ian Begley on Twitter. If true, I don’t know what to say about that. The guy is still packed potential, but he just does not seem to want to tap into it. As for how he seems to be in his public life, off the court, I just don’t know (or rather don’t want to say it).

• Jun 26, 201312:44 am
      by BD

Actually about the whole potential part, never mind, I thought he was younger than his 27 year old self. And I forgot about the 6th Man Award, which is really his role now.