Could Trey Burke fall to Pistons?

Chad Ford of ESPN:

Perhaps the shine Burke received from Michigan’s deep tournament run is starting to wear off. Burke’s athletic testing results highlighted what many NBA scouts have feared, that he lacks the lateral quickness usually associated with elite NBA point guards. The Magic and Pelicans are both really interested, but if both go in a different direction, he could slide out of the top 10.

If the Magic pass on Burke at No.  2, he could slip. The next three teams – Wizards (John Wall), Bobcats (Kemba Walker) and Phoenix Suns (Goran Dragic) – have young point guards they seem to like. The Pelicans, picking at No. 6, might take Burke, but Greivis Vasquez had a very good season, and they drafted Austin Rivers and called him a point guard for a reason (though I’m not sure what it is).

I just can’t see the Kings at No. 7 passing on Burke, though I’d be ecstatic if they did.

But Burke falling out of the top 10? He better not get past the Pistons unless they draft Nerlens Noel, Otto Porter, Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore instead. Unfortunately, I still believe all five of those players will be off the board before Detroit picks.

• Jun 5, 20131:07 pm
    by Thiago

I hope so!

Much better than Shabazz.

• Jun 5, 20131:10 pm
    by jacob

This is a good pg, draft him and trade knight if we have to. Although Joe D doesn’t like point guards.

• Jun 5, 20132:47 pm
      by Jeremy

Joe D dosen’t like PGs? Joe D was named president of basketball operations (POBO) 13 years ago (tomorrow actually) First personnel decision was drafting Mateen Cleaves 23 days later. Traded for Chucky Atkins and Dana Barros during that first season as POBO. Signed Chauncy Billups 7/17/2002 and signed Juan Sanchez 10/10/2002. On 8/28/2003 trades M.Curry for Lindsey Hunter. 2/19/2004 receives Mikes James in part of deal that brought Sheed to town and resigns Lindsey Hunter 7 days later. 8/4/2004 signs Horace Jenkins. 10/1/2004 signs Smush Parker. 1/21/2005 acquires Carlos Arroyo in trade. 3/1/2006 signs Tony Delk. 6/28/2006 drafts Will Blalock. 7/18/2006 signs Flip Murry. 6/28/2007 drafts Rodney Stuckey. 7/11/2007 resigns Billups. 2/21/2008 acquires Juan Dixon in trade. 7/30/2008 signs Will Bynum. 11/3/2008 trades for Allen Iverson. 9/28/2009 signs Chucky Atkins. 7/30/2010 resigns Will Bynum. 6/23/2011 drafts Brandon Knight. 2012-2013 transactions aren’t on the Pistons website but you can add trades for Jose Calderon in there for that time period.

I don’t really expect anyone to read all that – really was just a distraction to get me away from work. Point is I think PG and C have been the two positions with the most revolving door during Joe D’s tenure as head honcho in Detroit. The organization had a fairly solid PG at the helm for half of Joe’s 13 years and the vast majority of transactions were to fill in the back up role. Does he draft PGs? Well maybe not as much as the other positions but to be fair, the team really was never selecting when there was a legitimate PG left on the board to be taken at that spot. I don’t think it is fair to say that Joe D doesn’t like PGs.

• Jun 5, 20135:17 pm
        by jacob

Sorry Imeant small pg.

• Jun 5, 20131:12 pm
    by jordan

Well there’s definitely a history of great prospects falling to us. Maybe it happens one more time.

• Jun 5, 20131:25 pm
    by Desolation Row

There will always be a place in the NBA for a guy with thirty foot range. No, he may not necessarily be a future all-star, but he definitely could be a solid starting pg on a contender.  I think he will be a poor man’s Stephen Curry. Which works perfectly when building around a core of solid big men.

Draft! Draft! Draft!

• Jun 5, 20131:38 pm
      by Thiago

I have absolutely no doubt that the Pistons would pick Trey if he’s on the board, no matter whoelse is available.

At this point of the process, you could say exactly the same thing about Dre last summer.

The biggest problem here is the other teams, not Joe D.

• Jun 5, 20131:52 pm
    by Haan

Small correction: Burke can’t be among the players we draft instead of Burke.

• Jun 5, 20132:11 pm
    by frankie d

i do think that sacramento will be the team that nabs burke, if he is taken before detroit picks.
    NO needs a SF primarily.  they will probably get a shot at bennett and he’ll be too tempting to pass up.  or they might do something crazy like draft olynyk with the idea of making him a 3.
    phoenix also has kendall marshall hanging around, and it is tough to imagine them dumping their first rounder so soon.
    sacramento is filled with combo guards, but the new management is undoubtedly smarter than the old, and they can surely see the need for a true point guard like burke.   i think he goes there, and unless phoenix or maybe charlotte take mccollum, he’ll be there as a consolation prize for detroit. probably not a bad one, but a second choice, to be sure.

• Jun 5, 20132:23 pm
      by Huddy

I read something on ESPN recently about the Kings shifting their focus to defense with new ownership, which might mean good things for Burke slipping.  If they truly want to help their defense they could go for MCW.  If they lose Tyreke and are left with Thorton, a big PG could look attractive to them on the defensive end.

• Jun 5, 20133:33 pm
      by oats

I sort of like the odds of them going with MCW over Burke. The thing with all those combo guards is that MCW would let them play the 2 and then cross matching on defense. I’ve read about them wanting to get Jimmer at the 2. Fredette really did shoot the 3 well this past season, making 41.7% of his 3s, so there is some logic to wanting him to play shooting guard despite being 6’2″. It really seems like they might decide that a MCW, Thornton, and Fredette back court could be pretty good. They also need a small forward, and I could see them take Zeller or Bennett to start over Patterson at the 4.

As for NO, they could use a center so Len is in play. They also might decide to go with Zeller and just hope one of the Zeller and Davis front court can play the 5 in time. They could go with Muhammad to fill the 3 spot. They also are talking about point guards to improve on Vasquez’s defense, so they might hesitate to take a little guy like Burke. That puts both McCollum and MCW in play.

I really could see this slide happening. I think it’s unlikely, but I’m holding out some hope for Burke to slide to Detroit. I’d rather just trade up and lock in a top 6 player, but if a trade doesn’t go through then this is the scenario I’m hoping for.

• Jun 5, 20133:44 pm
        by Huddy

The more I think about it I really don’t see why the Kings take Burke.  With Toney Douglas, Isaiah Thomas, Fredette and smallish Marcus Thronton they would be really small in the backcourt.  The other thing is that the new management has said they will take their time rebuilding so even if Burke may project as a more immediate offensive impact, they could take on more of a project at pretty much any position if they felt they had a higher ceiling.

• Jun 6, 20139:56 am

I don’t know who will be calling the shots for the Kings, but it would be really dumb to e making decisions based on Douglas, Thomas, Fredette, and Thornton. None of those are guys to build around. The only such guys they have are Cousins and Evans. And even both of those are question marks.

So their draft process should be best player available or best player available who fits with Cousins and Evans.

• Jun 5, 20134:43 pm
        by frankie d

MCW to sactown makes a lot of sense.  but there is, imho,  one big problem: tyreke evans.  it would seem to be almost impossible for evans and MCW to play in the same. backcourt.   and while it is likely that evans will  continue to see PT at the 3,  it is still tough to imagine 2 non-shooters at those two spots.
        cant see sactown just letting evans walk.  anything is possible, of course, but i think evans will continue to be a big part of their future.  and if that is the case, MCW will be a tough guy to match up with evans.   sactown has always appeared to recognize the fact that they need shooters around evans which is why they have made a lot of their draft picks and trades.
        i actually think MCW might go early, to orlando, if they decide to take a PG.

• Jun 5, 20134:52 pm
      by sebastian

frankie d, what about Isiah Thomas?Does he (Thomas) have the starting PG position.
      And, note to G: I’m not talking about Isiah Lord Thomas III.
      But, as I sit here typing I’m thinking that Mark Malone may have a different idea about the young Isiah Thomas.

• Jun 6, 20139:38 am

Easy way to distinguish. The one presently in the league is Isaiah Thomas. The HOF PG for the Pistons was Isiah Thomas.

• Jun 5, 20132:36 pm

“He better not get past the Pistons unless they draft Nerlens Noel, Otto Porter, Burke, Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore instead.”

By “Burke”, I’m gonna assume you meant “Bennett”.

• Jun 5, 20133:50 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Fixed now, just removed Burke. Did not mean Bennett. I would be upset if the Pistons passed on Burke for Bennett.

• Jun 6, 20139:23 am
        by sop

While Bennett has more upside and is physically more ready for the league, I don’t see him making an easy transition to SF so therefore I would agree that Burke is a better fit in terms of need. In terms of talent and future talent I think Bennett gets the slight edge, but the Pistons need a real PG so bad that I guess you’d have to go with Burke. I think a good ceiling for Burke would be Mike Conley.

• Jun 5, 20132:37 pm
    by Desolation Row

If Burke is drafted by the Kings, maybe we can offer the eighth pick and someone else in a package deal.

• Jun 5, 20132:51 pm

I don’t know if the Kings would feel like giving up Burke so easily. The key would be to make it known to the teams before Sacramento that if they are interested in someone outside the top 6, the Pistons would be happy to give them an additional asset to swap picks. And that player would still probably be available to the other team at 8.

Heck, since my relative preference among the top 6 isn’t even that varied, it could even be a deal in which they take the more highly rated prospect and they complete the trade conditional on whoever they actually want still being on the board at 8.

• Jun 5, 20132:45 pm

If Burke is on the board at 6, the Pelicans don’t particularly want him, and the rest of the top 6 are gone, the Pistons should really make a 6-8 swap happen.

Odds are that whoever the Pelicans would take instead of Burke is still there two picks later, the Pistons can get the jump on the Kings, and New Orleans can pick up an additional asset (maybe the 37th pick).

Heck, in anticipation of this possibility, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to do the trade even in advance of the draft. After all, Cleveland doesn’t have the 4th pick to go reaching for someone who should be a 8-13 pick.

• Jun 5, 20133:20 pm
      by oats

I’d do 37 and Singler without hesitation to make the jump to 6. I’d be mildly annoyed if I did that swap and got Bennett since I see him as the worst of the potential fits amongst that top 6, but I like Bennett significantly better than everyone else outside that top 6.

• Jun 6, 20139:52 am

People are really sleeping on Bennett. Sure, he has the most bust potential (along with Noel) out of the top 6. But he may also have the highest ceiling. He will have to be reigned in but an offensive force with hit or miss defense is well within his reach.

• Jun 6, 20137:54 pm
          by oats

Your preaching to the choir to some extent. I’m tremendously fond of Bennett as a prospect. I think he’s most valuable as a power forward, and that limits his over all value to Detroit with Monroe currently in that spot. I really like him, but if I’m moving up I want someone to plug in as a starter sometime in the next 3 years. It seems really unlikely that Bennett will do that, but Burke definitely would. If the team moves up to 6 then I am hoping for Burke, but would settle for Bennett. Bennett is a similar prospect, but Burke is a much better fit and missing out on him would be disappointing.

• Jun 5, 20133:23 pm
    by Vic

I’d take him if he dropped, I wouldn’t trade up though.

I think KCP would do just as well spacing the floor as a shooting guard…
    Nate Wolters could do just as well as a pg, and he might be available at 37.

• Jun 5, 20133:55 pm
    by GEORGIO

The Pistons will NOT draft Burke, and to me that is a good thing. For one Joe does not like undersized guards, two, I think Joe rightly believes that BK can still be a starting PG on a playoff team, third, heroics aside, Burke will only be a slightly better than average PG who will struggle to defend in the NBA and lastly the Pistons have other needs, SG and frontline depth, that can be addressed with this draft and PG, if needed, can be addressed via trade since there are tons of them. JUST SAY NO to Burke Joe.

• Jun 5, 20134:45 pm

If Burke fell to 8, you really wouldn’t want the Pistons to draft him? Who would you want at that point?

• Jun 5, 20134:58 pm
      by sebastian

I’m with Georgio. I wouldn’t draft Burke. The Pistons should really take a long, hard look at Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. This kid could be OUR answer at the starting SG position.
      Start Stuckey at the point and turn B. Knight into the 6th-man (Jason Terry-style).
      Oh, and I do believe that Stuckey would be a more efficient and effect PG with a real SG playing next to him.

• Jun 5, 20134:59 pm
        by sebastian

Correction: effective

• Jun 5, 20139:38 pm
        by Ozzie-Moto

STUCKEY AND KNIGHT ARE NOT POINT GUARDS ! Never have been and never will be ..  Combo Mumbo Jumbo never works .. didn’t you just see G Hill fail to be able to set the tempo and lead his team.. you can slide by during some games in the regular season but playoff time when the D gets cranked up you just throw you teams chances away without someone that can’t break down a defense

• Jun 6, 20138:56 am
          by GEORGIO

Did you not also see small DJ Augustine get constantly abused by Chalmers, he could hardly stay on the floor. I see Burke getting abused the same way, if he’s not hitting threes he won’t be able to stay on the floor because guys will be driving right through him or just shoot right over him. In the playoffs, small guards will get exposed and then you’ll have rig your defense to cover for them, no thanks.  Burke would get completely swallowed up by a defense like Miami’s, you need size, especially in the playoffs.

• Jun 6, 20139:40 am
            by Schmidt

Tell that to Nate Robinson. He had a pretty good playoffs, and if you have the right scheme on defense like Chicago does, he isn’t a liability. Of course, we don’t have Tom Thibodeau

• Jun 6, 20139:49 am

Nate Robinson is irrelevant. First, he is such an unusual player on account of being the smallest player in the league and in the conversation for most athletic. But also, he’s just not that good. He had a good run this postseason, sure.

But if I though Burke would be Robinson, there are at least 20 players I’d take over him. Robinson is an inefficient gunner with low bball IQ, poor defense, and irrational confidence that shoots his teams out of games more often than into them. He’s basically a Will Bynum-ier Will Bynum.

• Jun 6, 20132:46 pm
            by G

Augustin is a mediocre talent, so I’m taking what he did with a grain of salt. Rondo and CP3 are the same height as Burke and it’s not really a problem with them.

• Jun 5, 20135:56 pm
      by Desolation Row

Who would you rather have? Shehbazz Mohammed? Honestly, this doesn’t seem to be a draft rife with a lot of guys who will end up starting in the NBA. I think Burke is on the short list there, and regardless of how undersized/unathletic he is, the guy can knock down the three point shot pretty consistently and has shown tremendous leadership ability in his short college career. I don’t think there’s any doubt he’ll be a solid contributing rotation player; he’s probably just not a top 5 player in this draft. My personal concern with him is career longevity given his size and how often he takes a beating getting to the rim.

• Jun 5, 20135:03 pm
    by danny

One of the few players I would love on our team.  He can handle the rock, dish it, and spread the floor.  Joe will be smitten if he fell to us.

• Jun 5, 20138:18 pm
    by Pimp Zombie

I think he’s Jameer Nelson…which would be an upgrade over knight/bynum. I’d prefer if they kept Calderon and draft a pg next year that could play behind him for a year or two a la Ty Lawson/Chauncey Billups

• Jun 5, 20138:48 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Burke makes sense in Detroit, if  Knight is being moved and we sign OJ mayo and Josh Smith

• Jun 5, 20139:46 pm
    by Corey

I wouldn’t have wanted Burke if we had gotten a top 3 pick, but if he slides to 8 I’d snap him up in a heartbeat. We – and Andre Drummond- desperately need someone who can see the floor and run an offense. With Burke’s passing and shooting and ball handling he should be devastating with Drummond in the pick and roll. He can shoot with range, so his defender has to go over the screen. That means the bigman defender has to stop him from turning the corner. That means the OTHER big man has to rotate to try to stop Andre on the roll. That’s the kind of thing that scrambles a defense- and I’d enjoy seeing the pistons actually able to do it for a change.

• Jun 6, 20134:57 am
    by Filo Putz

McLemore is the only potential superstar in this draft. Burke reminds me of Jimmer Freddette.  After McLemore I  Zeller has the biggest upside. I would take Zeller if he fell.

• Jun 6, 20138:43 am
      by ryan

The Jimmer Freddette comparison works for me, not because their games are the same but because they’re both over-hyped. Why are people excited about a guy without the size or athleticism to make it at his position?

I’ll be livid if they draft Trey Burke anywhere in the first round.

• Jun 6, 20139:45 am

Are you kidding me? First off, Trey Burke is 6’1″. That puts him about an inch shorter than an average NBA PG. His wing span is 6’5″ which is about half an inch shorter than an average NBA PG.

Given how well he’s done so far, it is reasonable to expect him to overcome the difficulty of being about an inch too small.

When a guy is the best player in the NCAA as a sophomore, that usually translates pretty well to the NBA.

• Jun 6, 201310:14 am
    by danny

I think the big difference here is how he gets it done.  Jimmers system had him basically handling the rock at all times.  I’m not huge on statistics but his usage rate is extremely high in college, certainly because of his colleges system.

• Jun 6, 201312:30 pm
    by Filo Putz

Burke measured 5’11.5″ at the combine. Size does matter. It’s the reason that Dumars went with 6’1.5″ Knight over 5’11″ Walker. Walker was obviously the more talented player. This is  the reason I would also pass on Muhammad who at 6’4.5″ is too small to matchup at the 3.

• Jun 6, 20133:00 pm
      by G

Except 5’11″ Walker looks like he might be the better player. It’s always a good idea to go with the better player. And since the NBA ALWAYS lists players by their height in shoes, it’s really 6’1.5″ Kemba Walker, 6’3″ Knight, 6’1″ Burke and 6’6″ Muhammad.

• Jun 6, 20132:30 pm
    by Terrell

They should pass on burks. There’s too much talent in the middle of the first! Trade both second round picks to dallas since cuban doesn’t want that pick. Then they should package the 8th pick with monroe and stuckey to boston for rondo and garnett contract (to help boston out)! Then take Glen Rice Jr. with dallas pick. And finally go after oj mayo or granger cause which ever you get Rice Jr can play other wing! Then you have a good back court cap for next season real free agent class and garnett winning attitude to man the four. Plus help drummon develop

• Jun 6, 20133:59 pm

No problem. Burks went in the 2011 draft to the Jazz. So I guarantee the Pistons won’t draft him. Burke, though, is an excellent prospect in this draft.