Cody Zeller another player who could jump Pistons

We’ve covered this before, but a review: There are six consensus players – Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore, Otto Porter, Anthony Bennett, Victor Oladipo and Alex Len – who are very likely to go ahead of the Pistons. For Trey Burke to fall to the Pistons, one additional player must go ahead of Detroit (or to get one of the consensus top six, two non-consensus players must jump Detroit).

Anyway, Michael Carter-Williams, Shabazz Muhammad and C.J. McCollum are all possibilities to push a more highly touted prospect to the Pistons.

So is Cody Zeller, according to Chad Ford of ESPN.

Ford on the Magic, who have the No. 2 pick:

Cody Zeller is a dark horse at No. 2.

Ford on the Bobcats, who have the No. 4 pick:

Indiana’s Cody Zeller also has fans in Charlotte, too.

Ford on the Suns, who have the No. 5 pick:

sources say there’s strong support in the front office for Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams and Indiana’s Zeller

• Jun 26, 201311:18 am
    by Domnick

i really like mccollum to det… Do u think he’s better than burke?

• Jun 26, 201311:26 am

• Jun 26, 201311:30 am
        by Domnick

Y no

• Jun 26, 201311:42 am
          by G

Low level of competition, REALLY small sample size for his shooting numbers this year (which oddly no one ever mentions), is more of a combo guard… Did I mention the extremely small sample size of his shooting numbers? The whole reason he gets the Steph Curry comps are because he shot the lights out over 12 games. He’d never done that his previous 3 seasons. I’m not buying it. Plus, he’s older than Burke which means less room for development.

• Jun 26, 201311:48 am
            by Huddy

I wish comments updated live…beat me to it

• Jun 26, 201311:47 am
          by Huddy

Because the only thing he did better than Burke in college was score and it was against far weaker competition.  He did shoot considerably better, but his 3pt shooting wasn’t consistently that high throughout college and, back to the competition, both were the focus of the offense, but Burke played against much more difficult defenses.  All of that added to C.J. having two additional years of development under his belt make Burke the better prospect.  C.J. is taller, but he is undersized for SG and doesn’t display passing skills (at least so far he could develop) that are required for him to be a PG.

• Jun 26, 201311:56 am

I would really like CJ if I had any reason to believe his last season’s shooting numbers would hold up. But that would only put him on par with Burke. Burke didn’t shot as well (although he still shot pretty darn well) and he did everything else much better.

• Jun 26, 201312:33 pm
            by G

This is what gets me with the experts’ analysis of McCollum. Through his first three years he was just an average shooter. .432/.359/.822. He had a really good 12 game stretch & got injured. At no point have I heard an expert question his senior year shooting numbers. Really? He went from shooting .359 3P% over 99 games to shooting .516 over his next 12 and they believe the .516?

• Jun 26, 20135:30 pm
            by frankie d

imho, detroit will be lucky to get either one.  and from the looks of things, it looks like either mccollum or burke will be there for detroit.
            i think i’d prefer burke, but it is a close call.
            either way, it will be interesting to see their careers play out over the years to see which one ends up being a better player.
            imho, they will be very close over the years, sort of like people debate deron williams and chris paul, though i don’t imagine either will reach a williams or paul level.  they look to be just below that tier.

• Jun 26, 201312:26 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

LOL! Half the people here think Burke is the 2nd coming of Chris Paul….

• Jun 26, 201312:35 pm
        by Huddy

Burke fans hope he is like Paul and CJ fans hope he is like Curry…neither is really fair to the players.  Thinking Burke is better than CJ also has nothing to do with Burke being Chris Paul 2.0.

• Jun 26, 201312:38 pm
        by G

If he is that’d be great. My expectations are lower than that. Obviously if he’s CP 2.0, then he’d be the #1 pick & I haven’t heard anyone hear suggest Detroit take him over, say, Noel, Oladipo, Porter or McLemore.

• Jun 26, 201312:57 pm

I actually would consider him over Oladipo.  But I’m not nearly as high on Oladipo as many. I would also consider Bennett over him.

• Jun 26, 201312:53 pm
      by mike

I have a hard time believing the Pistons would even consider McCollum. After the failed Stuckey experiment, trying to make a combo guard into a PG, and now the failed Knight experiment trying to do the same thing still fresh in their mind, are the Pistons that dumb that they’d try to make yet ANOTHER 6-3 combo guard into a PG?

I don’t think so, but after the whole Rip/AI/BG debacle, followed by the whole Stuckey/Knight debacle, I can’t doubt Dumars ability to repeat the same mistake over and over without learning. So maybe McCollum is a possibility…

• Jun 26, 201312:59 pm

If the Pistons only look at their own track record, they will fall victim to small sample size. Much better to look around the league and see the overall success rate, especially with all the transition of staff. Look at a guy like George Hill, he’s doing fine.

• Jun 26, 20132:16 pm
          by Crispus

He wasn’t doing fine when he had the bring the ball up against Miami’s full-court press.

• Jun 26, 20132:53 pm

He struggled against Miami? Well he must be worthless then. Because goodness knows that most players carve up the Heat like a Thanksgiving turkey.

• Jun 26, 20131:04 pm
        by Worm

I think the biggest problem the Pistons have faced with their combo guards is trying to throw them into the fire at PG. They’re combo guards for a reason. I think of McCollum as a guy who could potentially shoot the lights out at SG and open up the floor, and occasionally (~5 min/game) be the primary ball handler with other playmakers in the lineup (Moose).

• Jun 26, 20131:54 pm
          by G

I agree with this, but that basically means you have to get rid of Knight or bring in a better ball handler and play Knight with McCollum for only 5-10 min a game.

• Jun 26, 20131:45 pm
        by deusXango

Very well stated Mike. If you think about it, why waste (spend) a lottery pick on a combo guard when what you need is a real PG or SG? Kobe and D-Wade have combo guard skills but, they are SG’s; neither Stuckey, Knight, or McCollum are in the class of Kobe and Wade, as player.

• Jun 26, 201311:28 am

“I like Zeller a decent amount, but if a team ahead of the Pistons picks him, all the better.”

Completely agreed.

• Jun 26, 201311:51 am
    by Kay Wan

More Chad Ford on Zeller getting serious interest from Charlotte:

@chadfordinsider: There’s a growing belief that Cody Zeller is seriously in play at No. 4 to the Bobcats along with Alex Len, Anthony Bennett & Ben McLemore

@chadfordinsider: Bobcats GM Rich Cho is a big Zeller fan. He’s pushing that direction but getting resistance.

• Jun 26, 201312:01 pm
    by Huddy

It seems like I only see Shabazz in the mid teens in mocks.  I get the feeling KCP, Zeller, maybe even Adams (maybe) have a better chance of jumping more than Shabazz.  I realize there are reports of various teams liking him in workouts, but on a case by case basis with the teams ahead of the Pistons I don’t see a team taking him.  That is mostly because there are a lot of big man and SF needs plus safer SG picks in Oladipo and Maclemore.  I can see him going higher than mid teens, just don’t see him jumping ahead of the Piston’s pick.

• Pingback

Jun 26, 201312:07 pm
    by 2013 Draft thread - Page 43

[...] [...]

• Jun 26, 201312:12 pm
    by Corey

I’d be very ok with the Pistons taking Zeller, given his combine athleticism numbers and after watching video of him making 9/10 or better 3′s in a workout – not that he’d do that well in a game, no one does, but it’s pretty good evidence he can shoot 3′s. But if he’s taken earlier and pushes another top prospect who’s a better “fit” down to us, all the better.

It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow night, for sure. My biggest hope is that Joe D will be active in the trade market. I’d love to see the Pistons use a bunch of their cap space  to pick up an extra first round pick or two.  We need to go the Houston route of accumulating assets (picks and prospects) that we can eventually package into a trade for a star.

• Jun 26, 201312:45 pm
      by Jon

agreed. Morey knows what he’s doing, getting an endless amount of picks

• Jun 26, 201312:28 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Pistons are gonna trade down

• Jun 26, 20131:51 pm
      by deusXango

Is your name Frank?

• Jun 26, 201312:52 pm
    by ffz

In the latest nbadraft.net mockdraft they have otto porter falling to Detroit. http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

• Jun 26, 201312:56 pm
    by ffz

in this mock draft it says otto porter is going to fall to the pistons. http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

• Jun 26, 20131:08 pm
      by Worm

I’ll do ya a solid here, go to the parental controls on your computer and block nbadraft.net because its garbage. I like to think of it as a blog by someone who has no inside information and does no scouting. DraftExpress is far superior.

• Jun 26, 20132:04 pm
      by jacob

I go there a lot for the blogs, but most of it sucks and bad ideas. I don’t see how Porter gets by WAS CHA NO SAC. One of them will take him. If not then those GMs are a lot dumber than anyone could have ever known.

• Jun 26, 20131:24 pm

Best case scenario that’s actually reasonably possible:

Draft Burke at 8
    Trade 56 for 13 + Marion
    Draft Muhammad at 13
    Trade 37 for an early second rounder next year.
    Amnesty CV
    Sign Millsap and Wright in FA

The Pistons would have a backcourt of Burke, Knight, Muhammad, and Wright with Stuckey able to step in as needed.
    There could be a serious competition for the starting SF spot between Marion, Wright, Muhammad, Jerebko, and Singler.
    Monroe, Drummond, and Mllsap would be a beastly big man lineup. Jerebko can join in case of injury or foul trouble.

• Jun 26, 20132:36 pm
      by MIKEYDE248

If Muhammad keeps dropping, they might be able to get him at 56.

• Jun 26, 20132:47 pm

Let’s put it this way. In this draft, there are 6 guys I really like and 6 more guys I would be pretty happy to have. After that, there are a handful of high risk, high reward guys that I’d take over anyone else but who I wouldn’t expect to come to anything (Mitchell, Snell, Schroeder, Adetikunbo, Gobert, maybe Franklin or Rice). And they probably won’t make it to 37.

So if the Pistons can get one player in the first category and one in the second, that would be excellent.

• Jun 26, 20132:57 pm
      by J in FLA

This -at least draft wise- is what I am hoping for.  In a dream scenario, we may be able to draft KCP.  If this were to happen (Burke + a scoring SG) the fanbase would potentially be re-energized, and anything in FA would be gravy.

• Jun 26, 20131:47 pm
    by Filo Putz

Best case :: Zeller drops to 8 for rotational help up front then they sign JR smith  an excellent shooting 2 guard and calderon an excellent distributing point guard.  Next Find a serviceable small forward through trade of Jerebko

• Jun 26, 20132:30 pm

If you love Zeller, best case would involve the Pistons trading for the 13th pick and getting him there. He is not a sure thing to go higher.

• Jun 26, 20132:31 pm

The only reason I put Shabazz is because the Pistons would be more able to get a good big than a good wing in FA.

• Jun 26, 20133:09 pm
          by Filo Putz

Who do you have in mind?

• Jun 26, 20133:25 pm

Millsap/Jefferson/Smith

• Jun 26, 20132:57 pm
        by Filo Putz

You might be right. but I’m betting he’s gone before 8

• Jun 26, 20133:42 pm
          by Filo Putz

You’re kidding right? all three are high level starters . You would overpay Milsap or Jefferson to come off the bench? for any amount of money I don’t see it. I would love to sign Josh Smith whose a hybrid forward and whose statistics don’t match his value in my opinion. But he is looking for a max contract. All three of these guys are looking for high level contracts. I really like to hear they might be chasing JR Smith who they could get for less and fills a serious hole.

• Jun 26, 20134:02 pm
            by Huddy

Millsap is a “high level starter”?  He played 30 min a game (only a couple more than an average 6th man) and averaged 14 and 7…how is that a high level starter?  He might be somewhat expensive for a back up, but very solid and I prefer that move and fixing another position with an 8th pick as opposed to using the 8th pick on a guy in Zeller you see as a role player and over pay J.R. Smith (probably for more than you make it sound like) and hope he continues his level of play from this year, despite being such a volatile player.

• Jun 26, 20132:03 pm
    by deusXango

Best case scenario is Zeller falls to us at #8, then McCallum falls to us at #37. Joe signs Al-Fafouq Aminu as a free agent, trades Stuckey, #56, and a protected first pick in 2018 for Grievis Vasquez.

We have a talented big man trio in Drummond, Monroe, and Zeller, our starting SF problem is answered with Aminu, and we have our young, big, natural PG, who plays defense; an excellent SG with NBA size for a SG is right under our nose, in Middleton. I saw him beginning to progress at the end of last season, when he got an opportunity to play.

• Jun 26, 20134:34 pm
    by Filo Putz

To Huddy. First of all although he is undersized and battled injury the last 2 years, he is considered a high level power forward and would never accept not starting. second.He could never be sub at the 5. at 6’6″.

• Jun 27, 201310:47 am
      by Huddy

hmmm don’t remember saying he is a sub at center…oh yeah thats because I didn’t.

High level is a relative term.  He is a top 30 PF so there are teams where he would definitely start, but is he a top 15 PF?  Questionable.  Combine that with a number of young PFs that may not quite be performing at his level yet, but come at a much cheaper price to their team…Millsap might need to accept a different role and on the Pistons he would be a part of one of the best big men rotations in the league.