Chris Paul and Dwight Howard to the Pistons? Let’s enjoy the idea while it lasts

Chris Broussard of ESPN reported Chris Paul and Dwight Howard are talking about signing with the same team this summer, and Kevin Pelton ranked the teams most likely to land both. The Pistons ranked third (!):

The Pistons are the distant wild card in these proceedings. If Detroit waives Rodney Stuckey, whose contract is guaranteed for $4 million next season, and uses the amnesty provision on Charlie Villanueva, the Pistons would not have anyone making more than $5 million on the roster next season. They’d need to cut about $6 million in salary, which they could accomplish by packaging Brandon Knight with forward Jonas Jerebko (two years left on his deal at $4.5 million apiece) to a team under the cap or with a trade exception. Alternatively, Detroit could trade the No. 8 pick and convince Paul and Howard to take a couple hundred thousand less than the max apiece.

By doing so, Paul and Howard would join a Pistons team that still has quality young talent.Greg Monroe could work next to Howard If he develops a midrange game, and Detroit would have promising second-year center Andre Drummond as either part of the world’s most talented center rotation or trade bait to improve the wings. Nonetheless, it’s hard to see Detroit, hardly a destination for NBA players, forming the next superteam. Their sights are set much lower in free agency.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will never happen, but wow, how awesome would that me? I don’t want to bother explaining all the reasons this would be nearly impossible. I just want to enjoy the thought.

I’m off to imagine this team winning the championship next year. Have a great weekend, everyone.

• Jun 14, 20135:37 pm
    by omar

I would rather get Paul and Iguodala and maybe trade for Wilson Chandler.

• Jun 14, 20135:42 pm
      by acr

seconded.  though, we know that there is a .0001% chance of Paul coming.

On the more realistic side, I would also probably rather have either Iguodala or Chandler, not both.  Perhaps trading for Chandler because he’s younger, has similar production, and will be a lot cheaper than Iguodala’s new contract (and because Denver seems to really want to resign him)?  Also leaves more $$ for another good player or two, which we need.

• Jun 15, 20132:47 am

I’m not sure if you realize how small a number that is. It’s very unlikely, but not a 1 in a million level of improbability.

• Jun 14, 20135:37 pm
    by acr

Agreed on both the impossibility of this happening and basking in the daydream that it would happen.  As I mentioned in the other thread (probably should have waited till you posted first to comment on this story) – I’m more intrigued by the cap space/flexibility we have.  I did not realize that we have the space for nearly two max players.  Not that they would come in free agency, but it does open up lots of possibilities for trades this summer.  Now let’s see if they actually pull something off worthwhile…

• Jun 14, 20136:05 pm
    by Waulie

I’d MUCH rather have Andre on a rookie scale contract for the next 4 years than Howard on a max contract for the next 4 years.  And, it’s not even close.

CP sure would be sweet though!

• Jun 14, 20136:26 pm
    by jacob

iggy is opting out.

• Jun 14, 20136:29 pm
    by danny

Howard?

No thanks.

CP would be a dream though.

If I was him, I would strongly consider Detroit before teaming up with Howard anyways.

• Jun 14, 20137:07 pm
    by Drew

Forget Howard,  i hate that guy because he is such a pain.  Drummond is the future.

Let’s get CP3 and try to Mayo and trade Monroe and Jerebko for Kevin Love.

• Jun 15, 201312:11 am
      by Sergio Fried Chicken

what kevin love for monroe and jj dude love is injured too much good player but moose is solid

• Jun 14, 20138:45 pm
    by Mel

Chris Paul isn’t going anywhere without Howard. The want to play together, So I say NOPE !

• Jun 14, 20139:50 pm
    by Daveyboy

Iggy used to play for Mo Cheeks in Philly ;)

• Jun 14, 201311:36 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Paul is the real deal.

CP3
    BK7
    Shabazz >> you guys may disagree, but in this upcoming draft, no body fits better than Shabazz
    Moose
    Drummond

This line up would literally destroy any team in the NBA.

• Jun 15, 20132:52 am

I’d be thrilled with this (even though it means getting Shabazz) but no, it would not be destroying any team. It might be able to get a top 4 seed.

You’re looking at one superstar, what look like a pair of stars in the making, and two below average starters. And you expect that team to destroy every other?

• Jun 15, 201312:02 am
    by Oracle

I would love to see the pistons move up a few spots to pick Burke. Packaging the 8th with Knight, JJ, Singler, expirings, anything but Monroe and Drummond. Then sign Iguodala, and that’s 4/5 of playoff

• Jun 15, 201312:34 am
    by I HATE FRANK

I like the idea of Knight, Bazz and Iggy

• Jun 15, 201312:59 am
    by Otis

How exciting would it be? Um… not that exciting? I mean, three of your “big four” have ONLY EVER established themselves as centers. I have tremendous concerns about pairing Monroe and Drummond, let alone throwing another center into the mix. It’s just a different, more high-profile, more expensive version of the same damn problems this team has had since Joe steered it into the toilet: Your top players are just a redundant mish-mash hodgepodge of positionless players. As it is, not only do you NEED to add a reliable 4 who can spread the floor at least a little, but you might have to actually move one of Monroe or Drummond if they can’t space the floor together.

I mean, obviously it would be impossible to turn down the chance to add Paul and Howard, but I have a very hard time imagining EITHER Drummond OR Monroe fitting the roster anymore. The Lakers had serious floor spacing concerns that forced them to move Gasol to the bench, and Gasol spreads the floor MUCH better than Monroe. This is one of several reasons why I don’t foresee synergy between Monroe/Drummond (who have plenty of superficial similarities with Gasol/Howard, only that at this point in their careers, Gasol and Howard are better at basically everything). So yeah, you’re not going to maximize the talent on the roster by keeping a three center rotation. You’re likely trading both young bigs and (in this theoretical world) the team would be better for it.

But the truth is that the only reason the Pistons even made this list is because they technically have the cap space to get it done. But as long as there is even one other team interested in any given free agent, that free agent is virtually guaranteed to choose the other team. This organization is broken at absolutely every level, and I don’t see anyone signing up unless we’re paying CRAZY money for guys that don’t necessarily even represent a significant roster upgrade.

• Jun 15, 20132:55 am

Who cares about fit at that point. If you can get Dwight, you then figure out how to make it work, whether through creative lineups, specific development regimens, or trade.

• Jun 15, 201312:12 pm
        by Otis

Well like I said, obviously I’d do the trade. But the question was, “How exciting would a Paul-Howard-Monroe-Drummond core be?” and my answer was: “Not very.” I’d be excited after they traded Drummond and Monroe to get exciting complementary players and/or picks.

• Jun 15, 20132:54 pm

That’s fair, but regardless of poor fit, I think I’d be more excited about that core than whatever seems like a reasonable expectation for once the offseason is through.

• Jun 15, 20133:44 am
    by Tom Y.

Howard’s on the decline, and even if he can go back to his pre-injury form, it will probably be for about two years at most. On a max contract. And I can’t respect his attitude much, not the way he’s acted these last couple of years.

Meanwhile, Drummond is on the rise, and could be as good or better than Howard in a few years. He deserves to start, and needs to start in order to realize his amazing potential.

So no to Howard. Paul, of course. Paul with Moose/Dre and a couple of good shooters on the wing would instantly make us one of the better playoff teams in the east.

• Jun 15, 201312:14 pm
      by Otis

“Paul with Moose/Dre” isn’t relevant here. The entire premise here is that Paul and Howard are a package deal.

• Jun 16, 201312:04 pm
        by Tom Y.

I wonder how set Paul is on the idea of teaming up with Howard though. That they’ve been talking about it doesn’t mean they are totally set on it. What if it only works out in a couple of teams, and neither looks like a situation that’s likely to yield a real contender? I think he’d rather be in a situation to actually win.

• Jun 15, 20137:23 am
    by Vic

Yeah it won’t happen for us, but who can we fleece while helping it happen for them? That’s where theopportunity lies. Wouldn’t be the first time…

I say help Dallas do it, take on Marion’s contract and the 13th pick. M

• Jun 15, 20137:33 am
      by Vic

Marion was still a top 5 sf in the league last year even at age 35. Plus you could pick up Tony Mitchell or Gianni’s atetemkuopo with 13. That’s a heist

• Jun 15, 20133:15 pm
        by Russell C

I like that idea. Marion and Middleton at SF and still have to find a couple of shooters. Why not draft McCollum at 8 and use the remaining cap space for maybe JJ Redick and Gerald Henderson while keeping Calderon even if that means going over the cap.

• Jun 15, 201312:24 pm
      by acr

this exactly – we have a chance to be a third party to help facilitate a big move and get a few players – with dallas, houston, atlanta, etc.  we still make the call to Paul and make a pitch, but we have cap space/flexibility to get a few good players this summer if we play our cards right.

• Jun 15, 201310:00 am
    by RyanK

I hope Joe D makes the phone call.  I’m not sure if he aims high all the time, or if he thinks small about situations like this.  He had Kobe in the bag at one point, so I’m incline to think he is trying to get in on the deals that change the landscape of the whole league.

We’re programmed to think “this is Detroit, we can’t get a big name free agent.”  That’s crap thinking.  It can happen…probably not in this case but it can and will happen in the future.

• Jun 15, 201310:44 am
    by jacob

I really think Iggy and trying to get marion and the 13th pick would be two good moves.

• Jun 15, 201310:56 am
    by Desolation Row

Iguodola and Josh Smith. Someone to shut down wade, someone to shut down lebron, bk at pg, rookie X off the bench and we go impossibly big with our starting five with Drummond and Monroe up front.

• Jun 15, 201310:58 am
      by jacob

Andre Iguodala has chosen to join the 2013 class of free agents and one team that could use his skill-set is the Detroit Pistons. With that said, Iguodala signing with the Pistons is probably a long-shot.

From Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press: “He could land a deal in the $10-million to $11-million range. That price tag could be more than the Pistons are willing to pay. The Nuggets are interested, and they can sign him to five more years. The maximum length for a deal with a potential suitor is four years. The Pistons also could draft a small forward, with Georgetown’s Otto Porter and UNLV’s Anthony Bennett considered outstanding prospects.”

Iguodala has said he wants to play for a contender and while the Pistons should be improved next season, they may not get into the playoffs. Iguodala to Detroit is highly unlikely due to his contract demands and insistence to play for a good team next season.

• Jun 15, 201311:18 am
      by oats

Turnover prone point guard and 4 guys that can’t hit a jump shot. No thanks.

• Jun 15, 201311:52 am

Iggy can shoot. You just don’t want him to be the second best shooter in your starting lineup.

• Jun 15, 20134:42 pm
          by oats

From shots outside of 10′, Iggy shot 32.3% this past season including playoffs. Admittedly 55% of those attempts were 3 pointers so it is vaguely more acceptable to be bad from 10′ on out. Then again, he shot 33.2% from 3 on the year. Without the playoffs Iggy was only a 31.7% 3 point shooter, but I’m using the stats with them because that’s how basketball-reference.com keeps track of shooting stats when you want to break down shooting numbers from various ranges. He’s shot the 3 well for one year, was about average once, and was below average to bad 6 times. That sounds a hell of a lot like someone that can’t shoot.

• Jun 15, 201311:37 pm

Ok, but since Iggy has been playing a while, look at career numbers, not season numbers. Not that one season is a terrible sample size, but why not use the rest of the data?

• Jun 15, 201311:55 pm
            by jacob

Either way Iggy opting out is  great thing for Detroit. Free agency and the draft are the same. The more good players (or players perceived as good) the better. Even if iggy doesn’t re sign then that means there is at least one more good player out there.

• Jun 15, 20131:59 pm
    by koz

Does Shabazz have the ability to match what Harden has done in the league? Can he become that kind of player? Anyone?

• Jun 15, 20132:38 pm

Not even close. But if Bazz could end up half as valuable as Harden, eh would be a great pick. I’m pretty skeptical that he could, though.

• Jun 17, 20138:38 am
      by G

He has the potential to be a similar type of player to Harden, although probably less good. I’d say a poor man’s James Harden, maybe a lower-middle class man’s James Harden if he works on his game a lot.

• Jun 15, 20133:46 pm
    by joe

I’ll take Iggy if Mayo come with him, and then the Pistons can draft Zellar. The reason I want Mayo so bad is, if we talking from a Westbrook prospective with Cheek’s guidance, Mayo is more ready to be come a Westbrook type of player than Knight. Personally I don’t care for Iggy but at this point it can’t hurt the team, I just hope they explore other options before settling with Iggy. Other options like trading for Chandler, drafting Snell or Rice JR, or something?

Knight
    Mayo
    Iggy
    Monroe
    Drummond

• Jun 15, 201311:57 pm

I’m fine with Mayo at the right price. But if he costs $10M or more per year, that will become an albatross really quickly. $7-8M per season sounds about right. I’m just guessing some team will give him more and go on to regret it.

• Jun 15, 20133:56 pm
    by joe

I can live with any of these starting line up for next season, what you think?

Knight         Knight         Knight
    Mayo           Mayo          Mayo
    Chandler      Glen JR       Iggy
    Monroe        Monroe        Monroe
    Drummond   Drummond   Drummond

• Jun 15, 201311:40 pm
      by Ozzie-Moto

I guess you believe that Knight is a point guard. even the ever believing in combo guards GM Dumars went out this year to get a real point guard….  With a player like Drummond and to a lesser extend Monroe you need some one to get them the ball in the places they need it and run a great break … not a turn over prone combo with a lack of court vision  …    Sorry in my book point guards are “naturals” at there position. something the is RARELY learned from scratch.

• Jun 15, 201311:52 pm
        by jacob

Really hoping Burke falls. If zeller or alllof the other top 6 are gone, then prolly MCW.

• Jun 15, 201311:59 pm

MCW looks awful. He can’t shoot and he can’t hang on to the ball. That’s not what you want in a perimeter player.

• Jun 17, 20134:13 pm
            by G

If the top 6 are gone, I think the Pistons should take either Shabazz, KCP or McCollum in that order.

• Jun 17, 20134:53 pm

If in that order, why bother to even mention a third player?

• Jun 18, 20138:21 am
            by G

They’re the 3 I’d be okay with at that spot. Dumars is likely going to have a different draft board than what I would put together, but those are 3 guys I wouldn’t mind him taking if the top 6 are gone. Make sense?

• Jun 18, 201312:25 pm

Fair, although I’d take Zeller or Len over McCollum.

• Jun 17, 20138:39 am
      by G

I’d say I can’t live with any of those. You have no scenario where the Pistons go get a PG. Knight is not a PG.

• Jun 15, 20136:45 pm
    by danny

Dont think devener is going to trade chandler.  With that being said I would love to have him on our team.  He is a very solid all around player that can put 15 up everynight .  When he was in NY dude did a bit of everything.  As for Iggy I love the dude but it really all depends on how much and how long he wants to be here.  I doubt he would come to detroit for a pay cut.  He opts out so he is looking for good money and years.  Something im not willing to spend on a player like him right now.  Maybe if we were in the playoffs and we needed someone but now I’ll pass.

• Jun 15, 20138:27 pm
    by jacob

If den resigns iggy then they probably won’t resign brewer. I would like brewer as our starting sf.

• Jun 16, 201312:05 am

Brewer is not a starting caliber player. He’s good on D, but he is a liability in half court offense. The only time he’s any good on that side of things is on the fast break. And it’s not even like he is a lockdown defender, he’s just above average on that side.

Good bench player to have. But you don’t want him to be your starter.

• Jun 16, 20137:21 am
    by Jens

I´d rather try to get Rondo from Boston (for Monroe and Knight, maybe) and sign Josh Smith for decent Money. Knight and Monroe have played major roles for the Pistons and the teams struggles are not only to be explained by a lack of a support cast or bad coaching. It´s time for some radical changes and if the price to get Rondo is to swap Monroe and Knight I am in for it!

• Jun 16, 20139:28 am

I recognize that Rondo brings a lot to the table, but do you really think a 27 year old PG who can’t shoot and has missed 77 games over the past three seasons is worth Monroe+Knight?

Monroe slumps a bit and all these Piston fans want to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

• Jun 16, 20135:01 pm
        by Jens

What many Greg is up for a pretty big extension after next season. Who do you like better? Greg for 12 millions a year or Josh Smith for 13 a year? Sorry, but I go with Josh Smith. All of a sudden it´s not THAT much to ive up for Rondo. And maybe Boston might even listen for an offer of Knight and no 8?
        At least, that´s the Kind of move I expect from Joe D trying to keep his Job

• Jun 17, 20138:41 am
          by G

Josh Smith wants a MAX DEAL. So the question is do you want Monroe for $12M or Smith for $16-$18M. I say Monroe.

• Jun 17, 20139:42 am

Comparing the numbers to Monroe are irrelevant. Getting SMith doesn’t mean losing Monroe.

Also, Smith wanting a max deal is irrelevant. Because it is highly unlikely that anyone will give it to him. So he’ll end up taking what he can get which will probably be between $11-14M annually.

I don’t know whether Smith is worth that. But the relevant question is whether he is worth what it will take to sign him, not what he wants.

• Jun 17, 20134:01 pm
            by G

In the guy’s scenario, the Pistons were swapping out Monroe et al for Rondo and picking up Smith in FA, and asked the question who we’d prefer at what price.

I’ve got news for you: Smith will get close to a max deal at least. There’s always someone dumb enough to pay. If he thinks he’s worth a max deal, that’s what it’ll take to sign him. I think he’s shooting for $18M, he’ll probably end up going for $16M.

• Jun 17, 20134:56 pm

You could be right. But there are only a handful of teams with the capacity to offer him that much money. I’d take odds that none of them will be that stupid.

But what he thinks he is worth is irrelevant either way. Rashard Lewis may not have been angling for a max deal, but when Orlando offered, he was going to snatch it up.

• Jun 18, 20138:22 am
            by G

Otis Smith was a TERRIBLE GM, but even he wouldn’t have offered more than a player was asking for, right?

• Jun 19, 201312:27 pm

He probably wanted to ensure that nobody would outbid him.

• Jun 16, 20131:04 pm
    by danny

yes, and even a poor mans harden would be a great asset!

• Jun 16, 20138:21 pm
    by Who Is Us

Josh Smith is one of the must overrated players in the NBA. He is an undersized PF, who wants to be a SF and shoots too many 3′s at a poor %. I would much rather have the significantly younger Monroe, who is a front city player who knows where he belongs (in the paint), is unselfish, and a good teammate. All things Smith is known not to be. I have been an ardent Joe D supporter, but if he were to give that guy the max contract he is after I would finally agree with all the people calling for him to be fired!

• Jun 17, 20132:01 pm
      by Jens

Take a cloer look at the stats before you compare Monroe and Josh Smith. They are both good Players but I think Smith is the far better OVERALL player, mostly because of his defense. If Monroe keeps developing it´s a whole different Story, but right now it Looks as if he´s touched his ceiling already and will be commanding similar Money to JS.

• Jun 17, 20133:31 pm
    by MIKEYDE248

Just wondering which other teams would have a chance to sign the two of them, if they are determined to sign with the same team?  Who knows, maybe we might look better than the other teams.

• Jun 17, 20134:12 pm
    by Max

I might be crazy but I don’t want the Pistons to get Howard or Paul for the same reason I remain happy they didn’t draft ‘Melo—I don’t like them and would find them difficult to root for.   Howard is the league’s ultimate bitch diva and I have called Paul Creepy 3 ever since his toast to playing together in NY with ‘Melo and Stat while he was still under contract to the Hornets.  I love the culture of the great Pistons teams and they never included a pretty boy superstar beloved by the media.   It was fine when they had Grant Hill but at least he was drafted and possessed impeccable character a la Joe Dumars in his playing days but I just don’t want the Pistons to go out and sign players like Paul and Howard.   Iggy would be great and I even like the idea of Josh Smith—which everybody seems against.   Ask yourself this though–how could the Pistons not be one of the best defensive and rebounding teams in the league with a frontline of Drummond, Monroe and Smith?

• Jun 17, 20134:59 pm

It’s fine for you to hold those opinions. But I will like basically any player who does good things for Detroit basketball.

And inanswer to your question, Monroe is not a very good defender. Just Drummond and Smith would probably be a better defensive frontcourt. But the important question is who stretches the floor?

Guys who can’t shoot are becoming increasing liabilities.

• Jun 17, 20138:43 pm
        by Max

But Monroe is at least a pretty prolific rebounder and steals guy for a big man and a great third best shot blocker in your starting lineup.   Obviously, the team would require good shooting from the guards and bench.

• Jun 17, 201310:30 pm

Two shooters in the starting lineup just isn’t enough. Ideally, you’d have 4 or maybe even 5. 3 is a bare minimum.

• Jun 18, 20133:08 pm
            by Max

Memphis and Indiana just made the conference finals while defying your formula.

• Jun 19, 201312:23 pm

Hill, Stevenson, and George are all capable outside shooters and West is pretty decent from midrange.

Conley and Prince are both capable outside shooters. Gasol and Randolph are pretty decent from midrange. And the Grizzlies’ demise was all about their inability to shoot.

None of Drummond, Monroe, and Smith can shoot even decently from  midrange. It’s hard to get away with two such guys on the floor at a time. Three would be damn near impossible. Unless one were to develop a mid range game, you would just have to stagger their minutes.

• Jun 19, 20138:45 pm
            by Max

Monroe can be a decent shooter from midrange.   He has showed it plenty of games and teams don’t give him the shot.   I think his midrange game is going to be fine and especially when he is not the absolute focal point to stop.   Smith too isn’t Dennis Rodman or anything.   He’s not a great shooter but not someone who just gets left open by everyone.