Anthony Bennett to Pistons in ESPN mock draft

Anthony Bennett is headed to the Pistons in Chad Ford’s latest mock draft:

If Bennett slides to No. 8, Pistons GM Joe Dumars will be grinning ear to ear. For the last three years one of the top-ranked players in the draft has slid to the Pistons. In 2010 it was Greg Monroe. In 2011 it was Brandon Knight. In 2012 it was Andre Drummond. If Bennett is there, the Pistons would grab him. He can play both the three and the four, can both stretch the floor and play in the post. The Pistons have other needs, including point guard, but Bennett is too much of a talent to pass up. Burke and Carter-Williams are the other two possibilities in Detroit.

I’d be very happy if the Pistons land Bennett. He would bring plenty of complications – for one, can he play with Drummond and Monroe? – but I rate him a clear peg above any prospects the Pistons might be forced to draft if the first seven picks mimic how I’d assemble their own board.

If Bennett falls to the Pistons, it very well could be for reasons other than teams above them being foolish, though. I know we’ve gotten used to that (thanks again Golden State for taking Ekpe Udoh and Toronto for taking Terrence Ross), but sometimes guys slip for a reason. Bennett, who faced conditioning questions even before his shoulder surgery forced him to sit out pre-draft workouts, has gained a considerable amount of weight, according to Ford.

The Pistons can’t simply pick Bennett and declare the pick a winner because he was discussed as an option for the Cavaliers at No. 1. They’ll have to work with him to get him healthy and in shape, and there are no guarantees they’ll get the results they desire.

I’d prefer that risk to greater fears I have about others’ playing ability, but it’s a risk nonetheless.

• Jun 25, 20133:12 pm
    by Faraz1013

It would be great to have him. As a rebuilding team, we need all the talent we can get. Joe can sort through and move pieces around to see what fits and what doesnt, but we could definitely use him. And it would feel much better to see Bennett in the game instead of Maxiell.

• Jun 25, 20133:21 pm
    by Faraz1013

Not to mention he would fit very well next to Drummond as that stretch 4

• Jun 25, 20133:27 pm
    by John V

A pre draft top 5 player dropping 4 years in row to us. It would be nice.

• Jun 25, 20133:30 pm
    by RyanK

With Drummond behind him, he might be able to defend the perimeter wing players…

Is it just me or does this guy look too much like Maxiell?  I hate tweeners who can’t fill a role.  Too small to be a 4, to slow to be a 3.

• Jun 25, 20134:25 pm
      by oats

He’s got the height and wingspan of Paul Millsap. I think he’s perfectly fine at the 4.

• Jun 25, 20134:33 pm
      by Sop

can maxiell hit the 3pter consistently or play above the rim? Now you see the difference.

• Jun 25, 20135:18 pm

Max does play above the rim. In fact, he is tremendously athletic. Now take Maxiell and add skills and touch and you’ve got Bennett. He’d be a fantastic pick.

• Jun 26, 20137:11 am
          by I HATE FRANK

Tremendously athletic really?

• Jun 26, 20139:25 am

Have you never watched him play? There’s a reason he was called “baby eater”.

• Jun 26, 20139:27 am

Max has slowed down some, but he was always the ferocious, explosive player who just didn’t really have any skills.

• Jun 26, 201310:41 am
            by G

Uh, yeah. Jason Maxiell could get above the rim. Respek (sorry, went a little Ali G on you there).

• Jun 25, 20133:43 pm
    by Vic

Jason Maxiell mixed with Charlie Villanueva and a Transition game?

Yeah I’ll take that off the bench… even with asthma. Perfect 6th man.

Bennett is actually the converse of most forward tweeners.
    Most tweeners have the skills of a 4 and the size of a 3.
    He has the skills of a 3, and the strength and length of a 4.

• Jun 25, 20134:02 pm
      by RyanK

I’m hoping we can fit him into the 3 spot…I’m not sure Singler or Middleton can hold down that spot if we want to be in the playoffs.  Stretch 4 is fine, but drafting in the lottery I always hope we can do better than a reserve player off the bench.

• Jun 25, 20134:19 pm
        by John V

I would hope for a Vinnie Johnson type of reserve player.

• Jun 25, 20134:22 pm
        by oats

I’m hoping we address SF in free agency or via trade. I think Bennett’s more valuable if he primarily plays the 4, even as the 3rd big man.

• Jun 25, 20135:21 pm

Yeah, Bennett is a 4. he can play minutes here and there at 3, but it is not the position he is most suited to.

• Jun 25, 20135:13 pm
    by Who Is Us

The problem here is that when a team is drafting in the lottery they should NEVER be looking to take a player who is a back up. you need starters! The only starters I see here in this scenario are KCP, Shabazz, or (god forbid) a PG.

• Jun 25, 20135:22 pm

Maybe Bennett is good enough to wrest a starting spot from Monroe or Drummond. Heck, I bet he’d fit better next to either one than they do together.

Besides, your rationale is part of what led to taking Bowie over Jordan. Why take Jordan when you already have Drexler, right?

• Jun 25, 20137:13 pm
      by Who Is Us

Yes it also led to drafting Hakeem Olajuwan #1 overall rather than Bowie or Jordan. Bennett is not, and will not EVER be Jordan or even in the same discussion. Bennett as a rookie isnt taking Drummond or Monroe’s job, and likely wont in the future. Monroe is a borderline All Star, drummond is probably a top 3-5 C this year if he plays 30+mins at the level he did last year. Bennet is a tweener who wants to play the 3 but probably ends up at the 4 because he cant defend 3′s. sounds a lot like Jonas Jerbko…
      As for Bowie, that pick only looks bad in a revisionist view. you probably arent old enough to have watched Bowie in college. i am, an i can tell you he was a monster, he was a cant miss big man. had he not been hurt, something entirely unpredictable, he would have been on the level with Olajuwan and Kelvin Sampson. with Drexler already on the team it was the same pick every GM would have made at the time. In a draft where the talent from 4-13ish is basically the same, you must come away with someone who can make an impact to your line up as a starter. With detroit desperate for scoring on the wings and 3pt shooting the two picks that make the most sense are Shabazz Mohammad and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. virtually equal talent, who fill specific need positions without being tweeners, who will start day one.
      Yes, lotto teams need talent, but that talent needs to be on the floor contributing. remember how much every single person on this site bitched about Drummond not playing? if Bennett is the pick, and it becomes clear he is a 4 not a 3, everyone will be complaining that wthe Pistons wasted a lottery pick on a back up, while some guy that they passed on is a productive starter.

• Jun 25, 20137:38 pm
        by oats

No, Olajuwon was an equivalent prospect at the time. That would be going with the better fit when the talent is even. Passing on Bennett for KCP would be going for a lesser prospect to fit a need. That almost never pays off. This is the problem, I don’t see 4-13 as basically the same. I see 6 guys that are clearly ahead of that next group. Noel, McLemore, Porter, Oladipo, Burke, and Bennett. I know tarsier sees the same top 6, followed by a drop off.

I also think Bennett will get plenty of play time, even as a backup big. I think he’s good for 20-25 minutes at the 4, and another 5-10 at the 3. So I’d pencil him in for nearly 30 minutes a night. That’s plenty of time to make an impact in.

Also, you seem to be way off on Bowie. He was a monster as a sophomore. Then he missed two years due to injury and came back as a 10, 9, and 2 guy. That is not a can’t miss prospect at all, and the odds of him getting hurt again were really high. It was extremely predictable that his career would be shortened by injuries.

• Jun 25, 20135:21 pm
    by Travis

Take the best talent. Starter or not. Lottery teams need talent.

• Jun 25, 20135:25 pm

exactly

• Jun 25, 20137:10 pm
      by oats

Yep. The biggest need of every lottery team is better players.

• Jun 25, 20135:39 pm
    by Jens

Bennett would be an incredible pick. He has better lateral quickness and better Speed than Max. He has a Little better size and Plays high above the rim as well.

• Jun 25, 201311:05 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

In the last 3 years…. I’ve been excited about the 7,8,and 9 th pick …

Its soo out of our control it actually makes the draft fun to watch…

Kind of weird, but I like really like the idea of Zeller because it gives the Pistons Options

• Jun 26, 20137:14 am
    by I HATE FRANK

All i know is from the start i pick about 5-6 players that I really like and atleast 3 will be there at the 8 pick…

im more than happy…and if someone slides that would be great….