Tom Gores ‘looking to put his stamp on’ Pistons’ coaching hire

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:

owner Tom Gores is taking a leading role in the search. "He’s looking to put his stamp on this one," a person familiar with Gores’ approach said.

I thought Tom Gores put his stamp on hiring Lawrence Frank? This, at least partially, contradicts a report by Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News that Joe Dumars will lead this coaching search.

Has Gores gotten more involved since Goodwill’s report? Perhaps, or maybe Berger’s and Goodwill’s reports are simply at odds. We might never know, but I suspect we’ll get more clues as the search continues.

• May 2, 20134:44 pm
    by G

This is NOT good.

• May 2, 20134:45 pm
    by omar

I don’t care who chooses our next coach as long as they hire someone who is a proven winner.

• May 2, 20136:07 pm
      by DasMark

There’s only a couple “proven” winners, and they aren’t looking for jobs. Well, Phil Jackson is, but he doesn’t want to be on the sidelines.

• May 2, 20135:36 pm
    by Gabe

Can we just hire McMillan already??? He’s the perfect coach for our team

• May 2, 20136:06 pm
      by DasMark

He is perfect. He has a legendary coaching career of leading teams somewhere between the line of mediocrity and being easy first round outs for contenders.

• May 2, 20136:18 pm
        by oats

His teams weren’t exactly that talented, and I’d say McMillan got as much out of them as could be expected. Still, I wouldn’t go as far as saying he’s the perfect fit and I personally want the team to do a much more expansive search than just hiring the second guy to interview. I would say Nate is one of the better candidates though.

• May 2, 20136:05 pm
    by DasMark

Gores is the owner, he has every right to do whatever he wants. He also has the right to continue to pay the players’ salary out of his own pocket because nobody will show up for the games.

• May 2, 20136:22 pm
      by oats

It’s not about what he has the right to do. He has the right to move the team, but I’d still be pissed about that. It’s about whether or not he is competent enough for it to make sense for him to do it. I’m leaning towards him not being enough of a basketball guy to want him placing his stamp on a coaching search.

• May 2, 20136:43 pm
    by mixmasta

I’ve been told Hall of Fame coach Jerry Sloan is seriously considering return to the sidelines.

LINK

• May 2, 20139:40 pm
      by tommy t

I kind of want Sloan, too. Seriously, he’s a nasty, old dude, who isn’t going to put up with crap. I actually could envision him trying to choke Rip.

He took Utah to the Western Conference Finals in 2007. Remember who was on that team? Me neither. My God, his record is 1221-803. That’s hard to argue with.

• May 2, 201310:17 pm
      by Lorenzo

I like Nate but if Sloan wants to come back you certainly sound him out…I don’t care about age or otherwise. For me he is one of the best coaches in this era of basketball.  The thing is he was quoted as saying, ”it would have to be the right situation“…to me that sounds like he wants a go at a more settled situation. Would he be interested in a squad that would realistically take a few years to really develop? Who knows…. but my gut feeling is that if he takes a job with a younger team it’s more likely to be a destination like Minnesota where he would have the parts and talent (albeit young) to make his pick and roll system flourish (Rubio and Love would be scary good in that system)…..or even with a team like Brooklyn….I know, I know, Deron Williams, but considering where they are with that roster it might be the best and most appealing opportunity for both sides to win something…they might very well bury the hatchet under the circumstances.

• May 2, 20136:49 pm
    by Travis

Gores most likely didn’t approve of the reports in the media of Dumars having complete control of the entire interview process. This is just Gores using the media to stop those reports, even if Dumars is in complete control, which I still believe to be true.

• May 2, 20137:50 pm
    by mike

This is why I don’t trust the local media. They keep pushing that rumor that Gores undermined Joe on the last hire, and Tom was the one to hire Frank over Woodson. Its a convenient way to absolve Dumars from another failed coaching hire.

In reality, it sounds like that wasn’t the case at all. If Gores had hired Frank despite Joe wanting someone else, and it failed, would he really be doing the same exact thing again?

I doubt it. I trust the national media more than local, as they have no need to kiss up to Dumars like the local guys do. If this report is true, it says to me that the other report about Gores being the one to hire Frank was false. I just can’t see him doing the same thing twice. And I would also question why Dumars would want to stay here if he’s not allowed to hire his own coach, being that Joe is such a power-trip guy and likes to be the main man

• May 2, 20138:40 pm
    by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Gores, you already put your “stamp” on Frank…you’ve done enough please leave it to somebody else. Hell flip a coin I don’t care just don’t you go putting your “stamp” on a coach. Between Gores “stamps for success” and Dumars “Sacred Cows” this team is doomed

• May 2, 20138:55 pm
    by domnick

gores might be putting the stamp on Mcmillan.. just wait ok?

• May 2, 20139:52 pm
    by Anon

Phil Jackson will be advising the Pistons on their coaching search!!!

• May 2, 201310:02 pm
    by haydzzz

Maybe Gores is saying to Dumars hey your job ain’t safe either, by bringing in Phil as an advisor

• May 2, 201310:04 pm
    by far north

What exactly does this mean? Do we take it at face value?

• May 2, 201310:16 pm
    by Tony J

Just got word that Gores hired Phil Jackson as an advisor to the coaching search. I’m still trying to decide the type of owner Gores really is but by doing this, it shows me that he at least isn’t shy about spending money to guarantee results.

Link:   http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/jackson-advise-coach-search

• May 2, 201310:39 pm
      by Travis

Read that too. Dumars won’t be accountable for the coach decision now. Win-Win for Dumars.

• May 2, 201310:59 pm
      by Travis

Also, what does this mean for Hunter and McMillan who interviewed prior to Phil Jackson being part of the selection committee?

Lastly, Brian Shaw was an assistant coach for the Lakers/Jackson and Kobe Bryant wanted Shaw as Jackson’s replacement, not Mike Brown. Does this have an impact on the coaching selection, since Jackson is a consultant?

• May 3, 20131:54 am
    by Mrshourite

Yeah, guess you have to take everything with a grain or a bucket of salt nowadays. Starting to notice a trend on Vincent Goodwill’s reporting being somewhat off as of late.

• It is a nice practical section of details. We’re delighted which you simply distributed this handy details along with us. Make sure you remain united states informed like this. Thank you for revealing.