Pistons prefer to draft perimeter player

Keith Langlois of Pistons.com:

Joe D on drafting a big: "Our preference is to look at the perimeter, but by no means are we locked in to that."

This is where the tier system I’ve advocated comes in handy. If the Pistons adhere to that system or a similar one, they would take any big man who is clear step above a perimeter player. But when dealing with similarly valued players, they’d pick the perimeter player.

Maybe it’s nothing, but I noticed Joe Dumars said “perimeter” rather than “wing” – the difference being the former includes point guards. Again, maybe it’s nothing, but maybe that says something about the Pistons’ faith in Brandon Knight developing and/or Jose Calderon re-signing.

• May 24, 201311:05 am
    by danny

Well then there are 3 options to that.  Burke, Victor O, or CJ.

• May 24, 201311:57 am
      by G

There are only 3 perimeter players in this draft? It’s weaker than I thought.

• May 24, 201312:48 pm
    by danny

Only 3 I would use with the current pick we have.  But this draft is weakkkkk.

• May 24, 20131:02 pm
      by G

So not McLemore or Porter? Or are you assuming there’s no scenario in which either drops to the 8th pick? Because out of the 3 you named, only 1 is likely to be available at the 8th pick. Oladipo would be a LOOOONG shot at #8 and there are 3-5 teams that would take Burke ahead of Detroit.

If you were making a list of players LIKELY available at #8, it would be Bennett (a borderline perimeter player), McCollum, KCP, MCW, Muhammad, Jamal Franklin, Reggie Bullock, Glen Rice Jr…

• May 28, 20134:30 pm
        by danny

Pretty sure with the 8th pick those players wouldn’t be available.  I doubt most of these players are slipping past 5 but I’m playing the odds.

• May 24, 20131:34 pm
    by Jay

I know this is too impossible right now, but I REALLY want Burke.

• May 24, 20131:51 pm
    by ryan

Trey Burke is a guy I really don’t want. Ben McLemore, Victor Oladipo and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope all seem like good fits but probably only KCP will be available at our pick.

• May 24, 20133:42 pm
    by Some Dude

The Pistons really need a guy that can just flat out score. Preferably a SG or SF, so would at #8 I would take either, KCP, Muhammad, Glen Rice J.  Those three players the Pistons need more than anything. I don’t know why Rice is ranked to low, but he can shoot and score just as good as the others guys, but is unselfish.  The guy is a playmaker, unlike Muhammad who can be a ball hog. Rice Jr. is said to be a mid/late first round pick, but I say surprise everybody and take him at #8.  The son of one of the best shooters ever, gotta do it.

• May 24, 20134:48 pm
    by Robb

Pistons don’t need another point guard as we have 3 good starters now and if Bynum resigns he will be our bench guy who did good…

I feel our need is more Power Forward and I’m looking at 3 in the top 10, Porter, Bennett or Cody Zeller…One of them should be there at 8

• May 24, 20135:45 pm
      by G

Pistons have ZERO good starters, what are you talking about? Calderon was their best guard but he’s a FA. PF is their 3rd highest need after PG and SF. Maybe 4th highest if you don’t buy Knight as a starting 2-guard either.

• May 24, 20135:45 pm
        by G

*zero good starters at guard, should have said

• May 28, 20139:09 pm
    by Derrick Armstrong

Joe Dumars hasn’t a clue ! He has continued to bring undersized players to this organization, listing them two inches taller than they really are. Calderon didn’t elevate the team, nor his previous team. Knight, at 6″3′ has no future as a shooting guard. He’s already failed at the point guard position. Nether player has much value so we’re stuck having to draft yet another small player or ride the tide while drafting a “big” man that can spell Monroe and Drummond. Rodney Stuckey plays the pg position more effectively, yet comes off the bench at the sg spot, where again, he’s much smaller than listed. Let’s get some size on this team ! Under no circumstances should Jason Maxiell see minutes at center. Bring us a legitimate big man ! If not, take the best player available and hope that someone will take one of our guards from us. They’re not helping us much.