Pistons might draft Ben McLemore, Otto Porter or Anthony Bennett with No. 1 overall pick in NBA Draft

In his latest NBA Draft rankings, Chad Ford of ESPN focused on which players teams would draft with the No. 1 pick, and he mentioned the Pistons when discussing Ben McLemore, Otto Porter and Anthony Bennett:

We now project McLemore as the No. 1 pick for five teams — the Pistons, Pelicans, Timberwolves, Trail Blazers and Jazz.

While we currently don’t project Porter to go No. 1 to any team, a number of teams — such as the Pistons, Suns and Wizards — would consider Porter there and would likely take him at the No. 2 spot if they landed it.

A few teams, including the Bobcats, Kings, Pistons, Wizards and 76ers, would probably give [Bennett] a strong look at No. 1.

Ford also linked the Pistons to C.J. McCollum and Shabazz Muhammad:

The Suns, Timberwolves, Pistons, Thunder and Jazz all could use [McCollum’s] skills.

The Kings, Pistons, Pelicans and Wizards all remain strong possibilities to select Muhammad in the top 10.

If the Pistons got the No. 1 pick, I’d take Nerlens Noel. To me, he’s a tier above every other player in this draft. I know he’s not a perfect fit with Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe – heck, he might be a bad fit with them – but I wouldn’t settle for a lesser prospect unless someone who fits better elevates himself onto that top tier. So far, nobody has.

If the Pistons are forced to pick between players like McCollum and Muhammad, well, I really hope it doesn’t come to that.

• May 3, 201311:31 am
    by G

Feldman is working these posts like a speed bag. Where are the other guys?

• May 3, 201311:55 am

So G, on a previous post, you claimed that how many years someone was in college makes no difference on future development, it’s just about age. That seems counter-intuitive. Where did you pick this idea up?

• May 3, 201312:01 pm
        by G

I didn’t say that, I think oats did. What I said was when projecting potential improvement, younger players get the edge over older but less experienced players.

• May 3, 20132:20 pm

Really? My bad. I forgot who said what apparently.

• May 3, 201312:16 pm
        by G

The reasoning behind this is pretty simple. Take the example of Porter vs. Shabazz (everyone’s favorite). Despite having 2 years of college experience to Muhammad’s 1 year, Porter is actually about 8 months younger. So who has the greater potential for improvement? It’s Porter, because he has had less time to improve than Muhammad has.

I pretty much agree with oats, with a few caveats. Not every situation is the same, and some players really don’t get used to the best of their abilities in college. This stunts growth, creating an “improvement gap” that gives them space to make a huge leap when the situation changes. Drummond is an excellent example of this happening. In other cases the college player was poorly coached, either in HS or college, and that created a similar “improvement gap”.

Out of the 2, Muhammad is more likely to fall in one of the 2 caveats, but that wasn’t my impression of his season. I think he was properly used in college and his flaws are self-inflicted. While Howland made some questionable decisions as a coach, I’m not sure if the situation was bad enough to create an “improvement gap” or not.

• May 3, 20132:23 pm

I would assume that both age and experience play a role in leaving room for improvement. In what ratio, I have no idea. But it seemed as though oats’ comment completely disregarded the latter and only considered the former. So I guess I was wondering whether there was anything to back that claim up.

But then I went barking up the wrong tree.

• May 3, 20132:38 pm
            by G

I think if you assume that everyone’s rate of improvement is more or less constant, then college experience makes no difference and it’s all reliant on age. If you factor in variables, like certain players being in better learning environments, then that probably puts a little weight on college experience, but age is still more of a determining factor.

• May 3, 20134:27 pm
            by oats

Yeah, but I’m honestly having trouble remember where the study came form. I think it was the Basketball Prospectus guys. I keep thinking it was Kevin Pelton specifically, but I’m not certain. He found that number of years in college did not actually have an impact on figuring out the likelihood of a player to make progress in the pro. I forget which scenario had the higher odds of making more development on the next level, but the difference was so slight to be considered irrelevant.

By the way, I actually agree with G’s caveats. The problem is identifying when it is happening. I think it happens for some players, but if you gathered up all the players who you thought had that improvement gap happening, I’m betting you would add a lot of players who really weren’t having that go on. I honestly think looking for that should be used as a tie breaker between relatively identical prospects because it’s just too hard to project who will make a leap and who won’t. In the Muhammad scenario, I’m just not buying that he qualifies. UCLA let him play how he likes to play, and they gave him a bunch of touches that routinely ended in a shot he wants to take. They let him camp out down low, and they did a decent job giving him catch and shoot opportunities.

• May 3, 20134:54 pm
            by G

I read the same thing, which makes me think it was a basketball prospectus guy writing on ESPN.

I agree about Shabazz. While it’s POSSIBLE the situation at UCLA was toxic enough that it hurt his game down the stretch, I don’t think it’s the likeliest explanation. And no matter how bad it was, he was definitely not getting suppressed by the coaching staff.

• May 3, 201311:36 am
    by CNA5

Ford’s smoking something if he thinks Joe D is going to turn down another ridiculously long, athletic, shotblocking freak of nature if they land the #1 pick.

• May 3, 201312:44 pm
      by omar

We would end up like the jazz if we pick noel.

• May 3, 20132:58 pm
        by Scott Free

^ For a team out of the playoffs for half a decade, I’ll take what I can get.

• May 3, 201311:39 am
    by RandomGuy313

I am just not feeling McLemore; he reminds me in a way of Tim Hardaway Jr. – very athletic, suspect dribble, streaky shooter. If it came to it, I would select Oladipo before McLemore. At least with Oladipo you get an elite defender with a quick first step.

I am not high on Porter or Bennett either. Porter was non-existent against FGCU and I am not confident in Bennetts’ translation to the NBA (tweener).

I agree with your sentiments on Noel if we are there. I could easily see spreading 30 minutes among Drummond, Monroe, and Noel.

Muhammad is such a cancer; that Draft Express video on him says it all

• May 3, 201311:42 am
      by RandomGuy313

“easily see spreading 30 minutes among Drummond, Monroe, and Noel.”

That should read as at least 30 minutes for each.

• May 3, 201311:40 am
    by Aruna

I feel like if you’re taking Noel, you have to at least explore what else Boston would need to give you Rondo for Monroe.  If it can be done, then throw the bank of Gores at Iguodala.  With a core of Rondo, Iguodala, Noel and Drummond maybe we have a chance of holding teams under 70 like in ’04.

• May 3, 201311:51 am
      by RandomGuy313

I think it may be time to let 2004 for go…the NBA is not going to allow defenses to influence the  game like that anymore.

I understand the drawbacks for Monroe, but for the life of me I do not understand why people are so ready to let a guy that is close to 20 PER since he came into the league go. Passes well, crafty in the post, ah well.

• May 3, 201311:51 am
      by RandomGuy313

I think it may be time to let 2004 go…the NBA is not going to allow defenses to influence the  game like that anymore.

• May 3, 20132:27 pm

Much as I love the defense of that group, if the best shooter of your core is Iggy, you have a serious problem.

• May 3, 20133:06 pm
        by G

Agree, they may hold teams under 70 but would struggle to get to 60 against a pack-the-paint defense.

• May 3, 201311:47 am
    by MIKEYDE248

I think it would be stupid to draft another big man, the team has too many other needs to just stock pile big men.  Both Monroe and Drummond have completely different things that the Pistons need, so getting rid of one won’t be a help to the team, unless we get at least an equal replacement.

• May 3, 201312:01 pm
    by Crispus

There Dan goes with those headlines again, preying on the uninformed like me who have no idea when the draft lottery is.

• Pingback

May 3, 201312:08 pm
    by 2013 Draft thread - Page 24

[...] Pistons might draft Ben McLemore, Otto Porter or Anthony Bennett with No. 1 overall pick in NBA Draf… I find Ford to be one of the bigger idiots in terms of discussing basketball. But he has a ton of good connections. VT Reply With Quote [...]

• May 3, 201312:18 pm
    by Corey

I could easily see drafting Noel if they think he’s the best player. As said, there’s minutes for 3 big guys to play 30+ minutes each.  And there are endless trade possibilities down the road. If Noel comes back from his knee injury and, late in the season, proves he’s “back” physically, they could trade him for darn near anyone they wanted.

That depends, of course, on them believing he’s significantly better than anyone else available.

• May 3, 201312:20 pm
    by Huddy

ESPN also noted that Orlando (and I think the Bobcats) would put the #1 pick up on the trading block if they get it.  I would rather put the Piston’s in that camp than pick Noel.  If we could move to 4-6 range and get Porter/Burke/Oladipo and value from someone who desperately needs a big we would be in a much better position than trying to work out a 3 way big man rotation with 3 guys that can’t spread the floor.

• May 3, 201312:28 pm
      by G

I agree. In fact, I think the Pistons would be better off trading back than Orlando or Charlotte, since both of them could REALLY use Noel’s skill set.

• May 3, 20131:10 pm
        by Huddy

My mistake it was Orlando and New Orleans, which makes more sense since Charlotte needs pretty much everything.  The reasoning for Orlando was that they already have Vucevic, but he isn’t exactly a star.  Not a great defender, rebounding numbers are inflated by playing on a team that played a lot of small ball because of the Davis injury, and not a great FG% for a big man.  As far as I’m concerned New Orleans should consider Noel because he is a great upgrade for Lopez and would make for an amazing defensive front with Davis.  Like you said Detroit might be the only team with virtually no need for a #1 pick at that position.

• May 3, 20131:41 pm
          by G

Disagree that Noel is a great upgrade over Lopez. The book on Noel is he’s a lot like Davis only less polished offensively. He got beat up badly in the post by mediocre players who could throw their weight around. Given Davis’s slight build, NO needs a bigger body to throw in next to him and Noel is not it. Lopez KILLS them on offense so they really could use an upgrade, but I doubt they get one in the draft.

• May 3, 20132:27 pm
            by Huddy

If Robin Lopez is better than Noel then why have the conversation about taking him #1?  The whole conversation is about if you pick him #1 or who would and my point is based on the idea he is a #1 pick or at least projected first big off the board.  If he isn’t considerably better than Lopez (or has the potential to be) there is no way he is a consensus top 3 pick.   The book on Noel has his best quality being defense and his weakness is he needs to add strength.  If someone is picking him #1 they believe he can add strength and not get beat up in the post, if a team thinks he is too small AND can’t improve that aspect then of course they aren’t valuing him high…my argument for who could use him is based on him having the potential (which must be a pretty common idea since his is ranked so high) not that I am assuming anyone would want to move up in a draft to get a Robin Lopez caliber player.  I personally am not sold on Noel being able to beef up in the post, but for arguments sake in a trade scenario I am considering that New Orleans’ GM might be.

If you don’t think he is an upgrade over Lopez how do you think Orlando could really use him?  Vucevic isn’t good offensively and is only 10 -15lbs heavier than Noel prior to Noel working out with NBA trainers, and they are a good fit?  Wouldn’t they still get beat up and not be able to score inside?

• May 3, 20132:42 pm
            by G

My bad. I should’ve said that Lopez is a better fit for NO than Noel is. I think an ideal fit for Noel would be a team with another big that could move him off of the bigger guy, much like NO did with Davis. Noel is a terrible fit for Noel, the only 2 worse fits being Utah & Detroit. I think the only way any of those teams draft Noel is if they can immediately move him & trade back.

• May 3, 20132:50 pm
            by G

Vucevic is listed as 7’0″, 240, which is 25 lbs heavier than Noel’s listed weight. Vucevic is also only in his 22, so he’s still in the process of adding muscle. Vucevic is fine offensively, not sure what you’re talking about. He’s got a decent mid-range jumper, and I think his game would blend well with Noel’s.

• May 3, 20133:18 pm
            by Huddy

For some reason I looked at Noel’s KU listing which it is 228 while his draft listing is 215 thats where 10-15 came from.  Vucevic has decent Jumper but his scoring output is pretty low for being a feature on a bad team and his FG% is on the low end for guys his size that play in the paint, especially on a small team.  He isn’t Ben Wallace on offense, but he is closer in production to defensive minded Center’s for sure.

I get what your saying with fit instead of actually being better, but I still think that if a team likes Noel they have to believe he will improve in the areas that would make him a better fit in a role like that.  If he is Anthony Davis minus offense, with a Knee injury, and without hope to get thicker hes a tough fit anywhere.  IMO if NO believes Noel can make that change to his body then he would be a very attractive prospect for them.  If they don’t see him being able to then your right definitely not.

At Orlando Noel and Vucevic would be a below average offensive front court and a decent defensive front court, at NO (if Noel can add weight) he and Davis could be an elite defensive front court with average offensive ability.  All depends what other teams think he can do, made even tougher by him not being able to participate in pre-draft activities because of the injury.  Just another example of a player we need to hope continues to draw hype to help Detroit get what they need while other teams make bad decisions.

• May 3, 20134:45 pm
            by oats

Vucevic is not strictly an in the paint guy though. A little over 1/3 of his shots are outside 10′, and he hits them at a bit over 42% of the time. In fact, only 43% of his shots were inside of 3 feet. Most bigs with significantly better shooting percentages than Vucevic take a higher percentage of their shots there. I feel like I should pointing out that a higher percentage of Vucevic’s shots are mid range shots than Monroe’s, but Vucevic still has the higher shooting percentage from the field. Vucevic needs to work on being able to handle a larger load, but all signs point to him being a good offensive player with a solid mid range game. His shot selection and shooting numbers compare favorably to LaMarcus Aldridge, but he does shoot far less.

I have Vucevic pegged as a guy a bit like Monroe, capable of playing either of the power spots. I’d favor Monroe at PF and Vucevic at center despite Vucevic having the better mid range game, but that’s based on their ability to defend their position. I actually think a defensive minded big man that can give active help defense is precisely what Orlando should want to partner with Vucevic, and I think Noel fits that criteria perfectly. I think Orlando would be really short sighted not to take Noel, but by all accounts they desperately want to get a point guard.

• May 3, 20134:46 pm
            by G

I disagree with your assessment of Vucevic’s offense. I think he’s actually a little better than Davis on that end. He shot about the same % while taking more jumpers and more shots farther away from the hoop, which matches a lot better with Noel’s game.

• May 3, 20132:15 pm
      by Corey

I would be very content with the pistons trading a top 2 pick for the 4th or 5th pick, maybe 6th, if they win the top couple – assuming they get something of value for the step down.

• May 3, 201312:38 pm
    by frankie d

at the very least, detroit fans should take ford’s take on the pistons’ intentions seriously.
    he obviously talks to joe dumars a lot, and dumars often uses him to get stuff out to the national media.
    he has been very accurate as far as broadcasting what joe dumars is thinking about doing, as far as the draft is concerned.  heck, when no one knew who stuckey was, ford was posting about the fact that dumars was looking at drafting him in the middle of the first round.  for better or worse, ford does know which way detroit is leaning.
    not a big fan of mclemore.
    no question about his talent, but he just looks like a guy who just kind of floats along with the game.  every once in a while he turns it up and puts his stamp on a game, but too often he just sort of goes with how a game is going, which is not what i’d want with a guy as talented as he is.
    noel is also very talented, but i still have a bit of an issue drafting a one dimensional guy like him  overall number one.  he may be the best of a relatively mediocre bunch, but i just question whether i’d spend a number one on him.    there is a pretty good article over on espn where the columnist argues that he would take len over noel and while i probably wouldn’t go that far, his logic is at least understandable.  he argues that noel is a project who may never amount to more than a great shotblocker and that len has a more versatile game that might develop very well over time.  he also notes that noel is extremely thin and that he can’t be counted on to actually play the post for a while, until he adds weight.  again, i’m not totally sold on the argument – noel, even in that worst case scenario, sounds a lot like tyson chandler – but the argument is at least plausible.
    maybe draft noel and use him in order to fashion a trade for the guy i’d really want if i could draft anyone on the board: trey burke.

• May 3, 201312:45 pm
    by frankie d

this guy argues for drafting len over noel.  not sure i agree, but he makes some interesting points that are worth thinking about as far as drafting noel number one overall are concerned.

this article by david thorpe argues for drafting burke number one overall.
    i actually agree with his view.

• May 3, 201312:54 pm
    by ryan

I hope we get a top three pick and then trade down to end up with Victor Oladipo and a pick or young talent. Oladipo is the only guy in the draft who seems certain to improve us next year with his perimeter defense and also be likely to grow into a difference making starter. If we could manage to get him and something extra by trading down that would be a great start to our summer.

What is the story on Shabazz Muhammad? Everyone was high on him and now they’re down on him and I don’t know what changed minds.

• May 3, 20134:56 pm
      by oats

A bunch of stuff. Depending on who’s talking there are 3 really big ones. I tend a bit towards the fact that he really fell off a cliff as the season went on. He started off red hot for about 10 games, then became pretty average for 10, and then he stunk up the joint for the last 12. That did a lot to cool things. The other biggie is that Shabazz lied about his age and is actually a year older than was reported. His level of play from a 19 year old would garner a lot more weight than that same play from a 20 year old, plus the implications of what kind of scam says about him and his family are pretty troubling. The other thing is that in high school he was regarded as a great athlete, but in college he just wasn’t that great. He’s far less explosive as an athlete than we’d been hearing, and now we know that part of it was that he was able to just out muscle guys that were younger than him for his entire high school career. That’s why he seemed so much more physically developed than his peers, he had an extra year to develop. Then throw in that he seemed to have a pretty crappy attitude, concerns about how that post game will translate to the next level, and concerns over which position he’ll be able to guard and you end up where he is now.

• May 4, 20136:11 am
        by ryan

Thanks Oats. I appreciate the explanation.

• May 3, 201312:55 pm
    by Zeiram

In this trade I´m not even sure I want the Pistons to get the no.1. Teams are very reluctant to trade a no.1 pick, yet Noel is clearly not a good fit as would be not drafting him.
    Ideally in this situation you trade down to the pick you need and get a sweet bonus for it or pry a good veteran from a rebuilding team. If somehow we luck out and get the top pick, I would love for us to dangle it in front of Boston (for Rondo), New Orleans (Eric Gordon and/or Greivis Vasquez).

• May 3, 201312:57 pm
      by ryan

Picking up Greivis Vasquez and New Orlean’s pick for the number one would be awesome. A three guard rotation of Vasquez, Brandon Knight and Victor Oladipo would be every solid.

• May 3, 20131:46 pm
        by G

If you don’t like Calderon, you’ll HATE Vasquez. Same defensive problems and Vasquez shoots it much worse.

I’m assuming a Vasquez-Knight-Oladipo back court would have Knight on the PG, Vasquez on the SG and Oladipo on the SF. That would help in a couple ways, taking Vasquez off the ball and putting Knight on the better size match-up for him. I don’t know about throwing Oladipo on NBA SF’s though, Oladipo is only 6’5″. He’ll probably be ok, but I like him better defending the SG or PG.

• May 3, 20132:30 pm
          by Zeiram

Well I like Calderon, I just don´t like his age and his potential to grow with a team that´s far from contention. Vasquez doesn´t has to be a star. This team goes as far as Drummond/Monroe take them. Now if they do grow to our expectations what we need is a solid pg who gets the bigs the rock, a good shooter on sg and a “new age battier” for sf. Knight can fill the role of the sg (his size really isn´t that big a deal in todays NBA what big SG is there to be afraid of?), we can draft our new age battier next year and vasquez could be that rock solid pg. Now if a lineup of Vasquez – Knight – Mystery new age Battier – Monroe – Drummond doesn´t scream new wave Grizzlies/Pacers to you, I don´t know what will. I don´t know if that core gives you a championship but quite honestly right now I would be mighty fine with new wave Grizzlies/Pacers.

• May 3, 20133:39 pm
          by frankie d

have to say i’ve really like vasquez since his maryland days and hoped the pistons would find a way to draft him.
          yes, he is slowfooted, but he’s always been that way and still been a very productive player on every level.
          best thing is, however, that he plays with a ton of passion and heart and even though he doesn’t have the speed or lateral quickness to be a great player, his other skills and his heart allow him to be more than a servicable player.
          he’s an excellent passer, a guy who wants to be great, a leader on the court, and he understands his limitations and works his butt off to become a better player.  plus, he’s a big point guard so while he will present problems when teams get him out in space, his size has certain benefits.  and he does not mind getting physical, either.
          his outside shooting has always been spotty, but he takes and makes big shots.  he’s not a guy – like lamarcus aldridge – who plays hot potato with the basketball in the last seconds of tight games.
          i like calderone, also, but frankly, there are times he just doesn’t put out the effort defensively.  that never happens with vasquez.  vasquez tries like heck to defend and to contribute defensively, but he just has physical limitations he’s struggled with, always.
          on the right team – and a team with a defender like drummond could be that team – you could mask his defensive problems.   if there was a way to pry him away from NO and get their lottery pick, for, say the number one pick, i’d do it in a heart beat.

• May 3, 201312:55 pm
    by ryan

Also why the hell is everyone excited about Trey Burke? I just don’t get it.

• May 3, 20131:23 pm
      by MIKEYDE248

College player of the year.  Or did he fool a whole country.

• May 3, 201312:55 pm
    by Ryank

/If Noel is available, the decision is easy.  Even if he doesn’t fit on our team, it gives us a trade chip that can bring us a young allstar in return.    If he does fit, we would potentially have the best front-line in basketball in 1-2 seasons.  Guards and wings are a whole lot easier to accumulate than quality/allstar big men.

When we need a stop down the stretch, it would be really nice to put Andre and Noel out there together.  Everyone can play closer to their man on the perimeter and clear shots within 10 feet of the rim are going to be hard to get.

• May 3, 201312:57 pm
    by brandow

i think trey burke is perfect for the pistons considering we need a true pg and knight hasnt been that guy for us nor does stuckey. jose really has great passing skills and i would really love to see him back. but trey burke is also projected to go #1 overall

• May 3, 20132:34 pm

”trey burke is also projected to go #1 overall”

not really. thorpe thinks he could or should go first. but he is in the defintie minority. and obody really thinks he will go no 1.

• May 3, 20131:31 pm
    by ryan

This profile on Trey Burke isn’t at all flattering. He’s compared to Kemba Walker and Travis Best and the comparisons make sense to me. I really hope we don’t draft him.

• May 3, 20132:32 pm
      by G

Really? The Best/Walker comparisons make little sense to me. Walker was more of a combo guard and didn’t shoot it as well as Burke does. Best shot the ball similarly well but wasn’t really go-to guy on those GT teams like Burke has been for Michigan. Burke has a better handle than both and is a more proficient passer.

Plus, Walker played 3 years at UConn and was 21 when drafted. Best played 4 years of college ball and was 23 when drafted. Burke doesn’t turn 21 until after the season starts.

• May 3, 20132:37 pm

to be fair, this is a site whose mock has the pistons taking zeller with oladipo still on the board

• May 3, 20132:39 pm

and they have burke ranked behind len, zeller, muhammad, and mccollum

take the profile with a grain of salt

• May 3, 20132:54 pm
        by G

Agree, terrible. Draftexpress and ESPN are much better, although Draftexpress basically ignores need in its mocks and doesn’t really factor in what a team is likely to do.

• May 3, 20133:13 pm

nbadraft.net is solid

They rank players , they do not really deal with team needs other than when they mock 2.0 drafts where they explain their picks

• May 3, 20133:31 pm

But their rankings are pretty laughable. I mean, Burke behind McCollum? What are they smoking?

• May 3, 20133:38 pm
          by G

Really? Then why does their mock not match their rankings? Really, their current mock makes no sense because they have Burke ranked 10th but going 5th, and Len & Zeller ranked 4 & 5 but going 6 & 7 to teams that don’t need centers.

Their rankings are terrible, by the way, and their comps make no sense. They comp Zeller with LaMarcus Aldridge, Oladipo with Tony Allen (which is really a worst-case for Oladipo), McCollum with Steph Curry, Burke with Kemba (this is a terrible comp, makes no sense)… Every comp they get kind of right is one I’ve heard a million times (McLemore & Ray Allen, Bennett & LJ, etc.), and they have just as many that they whiff on badly.

• May 3, 20133:51 pm

I said they are solid

Not perfect….

i meanie Any Site that compared Deshawn Stevenon to Jordan, and That kwame Brown was a mix between Shaq, and KG doesnt have much credibility.

However, they provide solid combine information, they keep you updated about players on the rise, and there ranking isnt the worst i’ve seen.

• May 3, 20134:21 pm

We may differ on our interpretations of the word “solid”. But I see where you are coming from.

They provide some information which is useful and they package it in a way that many sources do not (individual grades for each of several attributes about a player).

It would be well down the list of where I’d look for info, but I could see using it in a supplementary role.

• May 3, 20134:39 pm
            by G

This is the guy that thinks “outstanding athlete” means “slightly above average”, so I think there’s a disconnect somewhere.

By solid he apparently means “not COMPLETE eff ups”.

• May 3, 20135:11 pm

LOL@G

Like PHEMONENAL PASSER! Means best passing SF in THIS draft…

• May 3, 20135:45 pm
            by oats

@ I HATE FRANK. I guess G could have included the phrase “for his position”, but it’s not like he was actually factually inaccurate. Relative to other 3s he is a really good passer. He is much better passing than say Tayshaun Prince was in college, and the Pistons have run some point forward through Prince in the past. It seems reasonable to project Porter to be capable of doing the same thing for short stretches at a time. That would definitely qualify as phenomenal relative to his position, yeah. Using outstanding for something other than its actual definition is not factually accurate.

• May 6, 20138:10 am
            by G

I qualified phenomenal passer by saying I think there are probably 2 or 3 better passers in this draft. At ANY position. Watch the tape, he’s REALLY good.

• May 3, 20132:25 pm
    by Jay

Not to put words in anyones mouth, but i am guessing he meant a three guard rotation, not that those three would be the starting backcourt and sf.

• May 3, 20132:32 pm

I think that the best scenario would be to get the first overall pick and trade back to third overall. The Pistons pick up an additional asset, they are still guaranteed one of McLemore/Porter/Noel, and the player is on a cheaper contract than if he had gone at no 1.

I would not want to trade into 4-6. There’s just a drop off in the prospects after the top 3. I might take Noel first overall and trade back further than three on draft day if someone (probably Porter) slips to 4 or 5. But I wouldn’t count on it ahead of time. I’d need to see it happen.

• May 3, 20133:03 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I just dont see what people see in Porter, I promise I really want to see it.

When you watch him play nothing about him says impact or game changer, kind of like Evan Turner or Kidd-Gilchrist.

But if you could do the draft again would you draft either of those guys in the top 3?

• May 3, 20133:12 pm
      by G

Well, I don’t get what you see in Shabazz, other than hype.

I think the main thing people like about him is his game appears to have no flaws. While he does nothing spectacularly (other than passing, in my opinion), he doesn’t lack in any part of the game either.

• May 3, 20133:28 pm
      by Huddy

Tuner played like an impact guy in college, but has been inconsistent and given hindsight would get drafted lower.  Gilchrist wasn’t really hyped to be impact, he was always labeled high-motor do a little of everything kind of guy, he would look more valuable on a better team just doesn’t have the skill set to carry a bad one.

Shabazz isn’t well rounded so if the questions about his method of scoring transferring to the NBA end up true you are left with nothing.  If Porter doesn’t remain the same do everything guy he was in college it is a safer bet he will at least still be a good defender, or shooter, or passer, or combination of those things.

• May 3, 20133:28 pm

In this draft, I would definitely take Turner or MKG (as the undrafted prospects)in the same tier with the top 3. I might not take them at this point (definitely not Turner) as they have come up short of expectations, as about half of prospects do.

Yeah, there are some years when I wouldn’t take Porter top 3. But can you agree that he seems to project as a rich man’s Prince? He gets compared to Prince regularly, but he is seriously somewhat better at virtually everything (except shot blocking) compared to Prince at the same point. His shooting and passing are especially better.

I’d be real happy with a rich man’s Prince. Prince was an almost all-star a couple times. So that projects Porter for what? An all-star but probably only a couple times, not a perennial one. That’s solid value in the top 3. Some years you may hope for more, but you’d never be particularly disappointed with that.

• May 3, 20134:07 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

I knows its not reasonable, but for the fun of it Project the Numbers for Porter = As a Rich Man Prince?

I think he is a solid player, but a little overhyped.

• May 3, 20134:26 pm
          by G

A rich man’s Prince would average about 16 ppg, shoot .470/.390/.780, 7 rpg, 4 apg, 1 bpg, 1.5 stl, get a couple 1st team all defense nods, a couple 2nd team all defense, and makes an AS game or 2.

I think that’s pretty close to Porter’s ceiling and it’s unlikely he accomplishes all of that, but I think we can reasonably expect him to do some of that at least.

• May 3, 20134:31 pm

I’d say 17, 7 and 4. Maybe not career averages. But I could see him averaging those stats over an 8 year period. Throw in well above average D and above average (although probably not hugely so) shooting numbers.

That’s about what I expect/hope for from Porter.

• May 3, 20135:11 pm
          by oats

17 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and really good defense. I just used Paul Goerge’s stats by the way, seeing as he is already Rich Man’s Prince.

• May 3, 20136:19 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

Cool…so what are his rookie numbers gonna look like?

• May 3, 20136:35 pm
            by oats

Assuming he starts, I’d say a 12, 4 and 2 is pretty close to reasonable for his rookie season. He’d definitely start though.

• May 4, 20133:45 pm

Are those actually Paul George’s numbers? That’s pretty funny. I just pulled them out of nowhere as a generally vague prediction.

• May 3, 20133:46 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

“”Well, I don’t get what you see in Shabazz, other than hype.”"
    1. LOL, at hype… Hype is for people that didnt watch him play in HS and only saw mixtapes or heard about him. He got better in college because he developed a jump shoot, he didnt get worse.

“”Porter does a lot of things well, nothing in spectacular fashion though. He needs to add muscle for his rebounding numbers & defense to be better than average in the NBA, but probably the 2 things that stand out most is his 3pt shooting and his passing. He’s a phenomenal passer, which is an underrated element in his game. ”"

2. Phenomenal Passer? then what do you call  Carter Williams passing? and once again im not saying Porter isnt a nice fill in player, but he is being a little overated. He’s a solid passer
    “”I think the main thing people like about him is his game appears to have no flaws. While he does nothing spectacularly (other than passing, in my opinion), he doesn’t lack in any part of the game “”

3. He struggles to get his own shot, he struggles against physical defenders, he struggles to defend more athletic players, he was exposed in the tournament and it showed all his weaknesses.

Just about everyone Projects him as solid third option or rotation player, He has really developed into a nice jump shooter, and he is crafty at making cuts to the basket.

• May 3, 20134:02 pm
      by G

God, were we talking about MCW? Yes, he’s a great passer. He SUCKS at shooting the ball. I can’t underline enough how bad of a shooter MCW is. Porter is the best passer in this draft that isn’t a guard.

Shabazz’s shot is suspect to me. He fell off too much at the end of the year. It could be he just hit a bad stretch, or it could be his earlier games were the hot stretch & he was regressing to the mean. I think the 2nd is more likely.

• May 3, 20134:17 pm
        by G

To qualify what I said about Porter’s passing skills, I think there are only a couple guys in this draft who are better passers, guard included.

• May 3, 20134:19 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

“”God, were we talking about MCW? Yes, he’s a great passer. He SUCKS at shooting the ball. I can’t underline enough how bad of a shooter MCW is.”

1. Phenomenal was a strong word, thats all

“”Porter is the best passer in this draft that isn’t a guard.”"

2. Giannis Adetokoubo

3. im not even talking about Shabazz
        “”Guess what? Shabazz struggled to get his own shot too. He didn’t really play defense. He hardly ever passed.”"
        4. we talking about porter, i already know how you feel about shabazz

“”Did you read the part where I said Porter needs to add muscle to be a defender in the NBA? It’s like you purposefully don’t understand things in order to annoy me.”"
        5. ??? i said he is overrated not worth a top 3 pick , why does that annoy you? I said he is a solid rotation guy or 3 option and I think you agree.  or do you think he is more?

• May 3, 20134:31 pm
          by G

What the eff does Giannis Adetokoubo have to do with anything? Hope you aren’t saying he’s a better passer than Porter, because he’s not & it isn’t close.

• May 3, 20135:48 pm
            by oats

I audibly groaned when I saw Vince Ellis call Adetokunbo a 6’10″ point guard. He averages 1.4 assists and 1.6 turnovers in 22 minutes a game for a team in a really low end league.

• May 3, 20137:01 pm
            by Huddy

Scouts compare his league to D 3 college basketball.  There is no way anyone on here haa watched him enough combined with the level
            of competition to warrant comparing him to anyone really. The kid is only physical potential.

• May 4, 20131:04 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

@Huddy I agree, but ball-handling and passing is skills are little different than if he was scoring at ease, or rebounding getting crazy numbers

• May 6, 20138:15 am
            by G

I’ve seen the highlights & look at the QUALITY of his passes. Does he hit guys in the hands or do they have to reach, does he deliver the ball in a spot where they can score, etc. Except for a few of his drive & kicks, his interior passing is pretty poor. There are 2 or 3 better passers in my Saturday pickup game.

• May 3, 20135:58 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Elite,High-Skilled,Natural,Adept ect, ect… Are not my word about his passing and ball-handling skills…its what Scouts and GM are saying…
    I haven’t seen him play only clips, here and there video.(unless you have seen him play?).. the only reason he considered lottery yet is because of his contract with his team until 2016-2017. But if he comes to the states and works out well….then who knowns….
    But anyway back to the Passing … They are saying he has Point-Foward skills,…my point is for Porter you hear more often Good or Solid passer(never phenomenal) … never heard anything about him playing Point-forward…

Once again, 3 is too high in this draft or any draft for him …

• May 3, 20136:04 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

@ Oats foreign stats are soo misleading,especially when players are young like 17-18 … History proves that.  According to several, sources (including NBAdraft.net) that talked about him months ago… they said ball handling and passing is his strength… Just saying…

As the draft get closer,  we will find out more of the truth

• May 3, 20136:46 pm
      by oats

Oh, I know that foreign stats are a crap shoot. Still, his are ways away from looking like an elite passer. I’d wager that he won’t get meaningful minutes for the next 2 years at a minimum, so we are a ways away from being able to actually gauge him as a player. Still, a negative assist to turnover ratio strongly suggests he has a long ways to go to catch someone like Porter. Once again, Porter is a better passer than Prince ever was in college while also being younger, and Prince has played some point forward for Detroit. If I had to guess, considering Adetokunbo is younger than Porter, that Adetokunbo will close this gap some what. Still, the gap between them is really huge. He’ll probably be a quality passer for a SF in time, but I’d expect him to remain behind both Porter and Dario Saric. Saric is actually the only small forward in the draft close to Porter, but he’s got turnover problems. The other one would be Reggie Bullock. I really am not buying Bullock as a 3 and if age is taken in to account he doesn’t have as much of an upside as a passer as Porter. Adetokunbo might be next after them, but that’s largely on speculation and it might prove to be an unfounded belief.

• May 3, 201310:48 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

Rubio averaged like 3 ast, and 1.7 tos in spain when the wolves drafted him.

I’ve seen Porter play he is a solid-to good passer… But all I’m saying is if the reports are true, they are calling G.A. a special passer…

Btw: I like MCW, and think he will be a very good pro

• May 4, 20133:54 am
          by oats

No, Rubio put up 6.1 assists and 3 turnovers in the ACB, a much stronger level of competition than the Greek’s second league. He did oddly get buried when they went to Eurocup, but Eurocup is a really competitive league and there were only 5 games. I don’t know if he was injured or what, but Rubio still had that reasonably solid ACB season to fall back on. He also played with the Spanish national team and looked really strong in international play. Even if you were right, 3 assists and 1.7 turnovers would show much more of an aptitude as a passer than 1.4 assist and 1.6 turnovers.

I get that scouts like his passing. It seems reasonably likely that there is something there that he’ll develop, but he has shown so little as a passer that I can’t put him in the same category as the guys who actually have shown they can pass. Scouts are wrong all the time. How’s Mouhamed Sene doing now? 10th pick in the draft and a shot blocking monster. Right, he bounced around the D league and is in Europe now. How about a more recent and easier to remember guy, Jan Vesely. Totally a worthy 6th over all pick, right? Oh, that’s right, 12 minutes a game for a terrible Wizards team that could really use an athletic shot blocker.This feels a lot like falling in love with limited playing time in a really bad league. Don’t get me wrong, he’s an intriguing prospect and if he slides I’d be happy with Detroit taking a flyer on him in the second or even trading in to the back of the first for him. I’d also want them to just set him up with a team in a good Euro league and just hope that he develops, but that’s about all the more I expect from him. If I had to guess it’ll be San Antonio or someone like that doing it with a late first round pick, but considering how little he’s done in such a crappy league it’s a mistake to think he’s more than a stash in Europe and hope for something type of player.

BTW, I think MCW is a career back up. If you think I’m negative about Muhammad then you don’t want to get me started on why I don’t like MCW. I have him rated so low that he might as well not be on my draft board. Someone else would gamble on him before I finally gave up and took him. If there is any guy I’m unreasonably low on, it’s him. I think most everyone will say I’m way too down on him so I really haven’t gone in to it, but he is the guy I’d be the least happy with if he was pick 7/8 for Detroit. I have MCW as a fringe first round pick. I was much higher on him not too long ago, and even had him in my top 10 for awhile, but going back over him has really soured me on him. I am not fond of MCW.

• May 4, 20137:58 am
            by I HATE FRANK

Rubio at 17-18 years old ast/to ratio was poor …but people were more impressed with his passing and ball handling.

I agree about foreign players being scouted incorrectly, that’s why I said we’ll see what he does if he comes over here to workout.

The same way scouts tend to hype up Foreign players, we as fans tend to hype up college players that we have seen little of. I live in the DMV I’ve seen Porter play often, and he was a very,very good college player. But he was not a dynamic college player he snook up on everyone, nobody expected him to be this good this year.  I go back to Michael-gilchrist very very good college players, but when he was draft they said he will be a nice third option a good fill in player. They are saying the same about Porter. End of the day you never know, but just not sold on him.

• May 4, 20137:29 pm
            by oats

Nope, Rubio was 18 the year he was drafted, after the 08-09 season. That was the year he put up 6.1 assists and 3 turnovers in 23 minutes. A 2-1 assist to turnover ratio isn’t great, but it shows a basic aptitude. Playing in a worse league than the ACB, Giannis is putting up a .9-1 assist to turnover ratio, which is awful in comparison. That also puts him below average for his position. What’s more, 6 assists in 23 minutes means Rubio is really racking up assists pretty quickly. 1.4 assists in 22 minutes is in the range of average for a small forward. The only time Rubio was similar to Giannis as a passer was as a 15 year old getting 8 minutes a game. By 16 he had surpassed where Giannis is, and in a tougher league.

While playing in a lesser league Giannis is producing at a below average rate as a passer. I can buy that he might not be in the best environment to make the most of his passing or that he might have some raw ability he really needs to refine. Either of those seems plausible. Still, if he was going to be a very good passer, even relative to other forwards, then he really should show some signs of it. He hasn’t. That means he is more likely to top out as a good passer for a small forward, but that leaves him far behind the projections for someone like Otto Porter or Dario Saric.

As for Porter, you obviously aren’t hearing the same thing as me. Where are you getting things like that from? Is it Draft Express and NBADraft.net? They haven’t written anything new on Porter since before the season started and their articles on him are way out of date. Everything I’ve seen written toward the end of the year or after it has said second guy, not third. Actually, not entirely true, some talk about him being the top scorer, but they usually say that’s not a very likely scenario. The MKG comparison is ludicrous. MKG put up 12 points a game on 25.5% on 3s. Porter puts up 16 points a game on 42.2% on 3s. That is a huge difference. It is really hard for wing players to be good scorers if they have a terrible outside shot like MKG, which is why he was talked about as a 3rd option. Before you jump on it, yes, MKG’s shooting numbers are from his freshman year while Porter’s are from his sophomore year and their freshman seasons were more comparable. The problem with that is that Porter made a huge leap between freshman and sophomore seasons, a leap that is really hard to project for anyone. Because he made that leap it is unreasonable to compare him to MKG anymore. Porter is a good shooter and that makes him capable of being much more than just a 3rd option.

Also, Porter didn’t sneak up on people in any way imaginable. Before the season Draft Express pegged Otto Porter as the top prospect in the Big East without including incoming freshman. He was preseason All Big East first team for crying out loud. That is about as far from sneaking up on people as you can get. You very clearly weren’t paying attention if you thought that no one was expecting big things from Porter this year. They didn’t know his shot had extended out to three point range, but everyone knew the kid was talented. Everyone thought he’d make a leap. Maybe not this big of one, but everyone saw a leap coming.

By the way, I live about 2 hours outside DC and saw plenty of Georgetown games. That’s why I’m so high on him, I know for a fact that the kid can play. He really has no holes in his game, he is above average in every aspect of basketball. His only flaw is that he needs to gain some weight and get stronger, but that’s true of most college players. He doesn’t have any skill that projects as an elite nba level skill, and that does slightly limit his potential and is why he’s a second option instead of a first. That still makes him clearly one of the 3 best players in the draft along with Noel and McLemore.

• May 4, 201311:49 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

I was not comparing Gilchrist to Porter ….I’m comparing similar thoughts about what kind of players they will become.

Can he improve beyond expectations? Yes! but based of off reports and what I’ve seen …I agree

• May 3, 20138:13 pm
    by sop

Feldman, Noel may be the consensus #1 prospect but he still has a number of questions marks.
    1. His offense is obviously very weak at this point, but he has also shown some hints that it may never develop offensively due to a lack of fluid mobility in the post, complete absence of a shooting stroke and only average foot speed. All these deficiencies should also be taken with consideration to question mark 2.
    2. Can Noel really hang with NBA centers? Listed at 215lbs, even if he is closer to 220, he is very slight for an NBA center and doesn’t show the bone structure to add significant girth. His shoulders aren’t very broad and even with his ectomorphic shape he’s not particularly quick from end to end. So he will probably, like Anthony Davis, end up playing PF and that’s a little worrisome remembering question mark 1.
    3. Lastly, the ACL injury should not be taken lightly. The sports world had its recovery expectations raised through the roof with the freakish Adrien Peterson comeback, but the D-Rose dudback should make lottery teams really think twice about the possibility that this setback could be career changing. No one has seen the post-injury Noel.

• May 4, 20134:23 am
      by oats

1) His offense needs a lot of work, but athletically he should be capable of more than scoring than he showed at Kentucky. Kentucky’s guards really stunk and they couldn’t pass at all. That really hurt him. Pair him with a point guard that can run a pick and roll and I’d expect him to score at a similar rate to what Drummond is doing. Not an offensive monster, but 12 points a game as a starter seems reasonably likely. Throw in some really good defense and that’s a good player. Admittedly he wouldn’t start without one of Detroit’s big men being traded, but Detriot could definitely trade any of those 3 guys. I feel like I need to point out that Noel is plenty quick and I just disagree on that part of your point. He’s one of the more explosive athletes in the draft, I’m just not buying that average foot speed thing. I’m much more concerned with his hands than his quickness.

2) I think he will be a PF for a few years, and then he’ll make the flip. Serge Ibaka is largely a center. Chris Bosh is now a center. Marcus Camby is a center. Brandan Wright plays at least half his minutes at center. The first 3 guys are not much bigger than him, and Wright was 200 lbs when he entered the league. Of course I’m also convinced Anthony Davis will be playing center in another 3 years or so. There are just more thin centers than there used to be, and I really think Nerlens would hold up fine. Also, for Detroit he wouldn’t need to play center anyways. The team already has 2 guys that can adequately play the position and are pretty darn good. If those guys remain on the team they’d stagger their minutes so one of them is usually on the court, so we’re talking maybe 5 minutes a game with Noel at center. If one of them moves then Noel is the starting power forward. This just feels like a non issue to me.

3) On average guys are better at coming back from knee injuries than they used to be. Rose is the most notable exception, but I really think Chicago was telling Rose to take his recovery really slow and not to worry about playing this year. I think most other teams would have had him back awhile ago. I should also point out that Detroit’s training staff is possibly the best in the league. If anyone can get Noel over his knee injury it’s Kander and Abdenour. That’s the other thing, I really would trust their take on his knee. If they red flag him then I’d just take either McLemore or Porter, but if they say they think they can get him back to 100% then I take Noel and try to figure it out later. Admittedly part of that is letting it be known on draft day that he’s available and trying to trade his rights for someone in the McLemore, Porter, Oladipo, Burke group and getting something else in return. If nothing shakes out I’d just walk away from the draft with the best prospect in it on my team. That’s not exactly a bad consolation prize for failing to get a trade done.

• May 4, 201311:42 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

Oats you have some really good thoughts but its soo much…

• May 6, 20138:22 am
        by G

The injury is a HUGE concern with me for Noel. There’s a long history of bigs with chronic injury problems, and I wonder if Noel is another one to add to the list. You can’t compare the average NBA guy coming back from a knee injury to a 6’10″ – 7′ guy coming back.

• May 6, 20135:24 pm
          by oats

The injury is definitely a concern, and I agree that Detroit would need to have him cleared by it’s training staff. One of the things on Noel’s side is his lighter weight. Most of those 6’10″ and above guys that struggle are putting more strain on their knee than Noel. I should also note that Oden had the same type of knee injury as Blake Griffin. It’s really hard to predict how guys will handle these injuries, so until I start hearing the evaluations of his knees closer to the draft I’m erring on the side of Detroit having the training staff to handle it. There are reports that his knee is ahead of schedule in rehabbing. Admittedly every player with an injury before the draft has similar reports, but if they aren’t just spin that could be a sign that this injury might not significantly effect his progression. We’ll have a lot more information on the severity of that knee injury once NBA teams start having doctors looking at him. Until then, even with the injury in mind, I still have Noel as the highest rated player on my draft board. I might be under rating the injury right now, but I really feel like Noel is the best bet to be an All Star some day in this draft and that makes him the top pick.

• May 3, 20138:21 pm
    by sop

Floor for Noel: Tyrus Thomas? Amir Williams?
    Ceiling?: Marcus Camby?
    Best comp: Larry Sanders.

• May 6, 20138:23 am
      by G

Floor: Greg Oden. The injury is a concern.

• May 4, 20137:17 pm