Pistons, Larry Drew have mutual interest

Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News reported Larry Drew couldn’t contact the Pistons and the Pistons were done bringing in new coaching candidates, but has a door opened now that the Hawks hired Mike Budenholzer? Goodwill:

Former Atlanta Hawks coach Larry Drew wouldn’t mind an interview with the Pistons, and there had been mutual interest, sources familiar with the situation told The Detroit News.

Drew did a very nice job in Atlanta, finishing 44-38, 40-26 and 44-38 in his three seasons. In fact, presumed-favorite Nate McMillan could go 82-0 next season and start the following year 7-0, and his career winning percentage would still fall short of Drew’s current mark.

After Mike Woodson coached the Hawks to no better than middling defenses, Atlanta’s defense under Drew ranked 13th, 6th and 10th. Drew took a team in transition and kept it in the playoffs. He’s even a former Pistons player.

I like Drew a great deal. I’m not sure he’s the best available candidate, but he might be, and I hope the Pistons interview him to assess whether he is.

• May 30, 20131:39 pm
    by John

Who do you think we have atop our head coaching search, Dan?

• May 30, 20132:19 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

It has to be Shaw… if not we could have been hired Nate …

But I really do like Larry Drew, Father figure type… and he has played with Young Players, He was part of Al Horford Development as well, so that nice for our bigs, eventually he got Josh Smith to play a better brand of basketball as well

• May 30, 201310:30 pm
        by Huddy

We could have already hired Nate?  Does he get a say? Or are you under the impression he is waiting to see if we can’t get Shaw to be our #2 choice?

• May 30, 20132:16 pm
    by mike

I like Drew. However the fact that Frank seemed to routinely outcoach him in our meetings is concerning. Though his teams also routinely beat contenders, so who knows?

All I know is he’s better than McMillan, as you pointed out.

Wouldn’t be my first choice, but I’d take him over McMillan or Cheeks

• May 30, 20132:34 pm
      by G

I don’t know that Frank out-coached Drew (or anybody)… The Pistons beat the Hawks on strong efforts from guys like Austin Daye, Will Bynum and Drummond. Frank stuck with his 2nd unit, but that was about all he contributed to those wins.

• May 30, 20134:56 pm
        by mike

imo, the reason we always played the Hawks so close was because of Frank doing a great job gameplanning/coaching. Those games were the rare occurances where I thought Frank looked like a real coach. In the end though, I think ATL’s talent just won out. But I thought Frank was the better coach in those games. Just my opinion, and I’m not a Frank fan so no bias.

I do think Drew is a really good coach though, and just because I thought he was outcoached by Frank doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want him. Just a bad matchup scheme-wise I think. Their system didn’t matchup well with Frank;s system.

• May 30, 20132:27 pm
    by Reaction

There are two possible reasons that the Pistons have not hired a coach yet. One is they are waiting for the playoffs to end so they can interview Shaw (the more likely reason) and they may have a power struggle going on between Gores/Jackson and Dumars. The second reason which is probably a stretch is that Gores is going to let Dumars handle the draft before letting him go and then hiring Jackson as GM and letting Jackson’s first hire be the coach (Shaw probably).

• May 30, 20132:56 pm
      by GM

Gores would take a huge publicity hit if he handled Dumars that way.  If Gores really wanted to have Phil Jackson be his GM, I think he would have pulled the trigger on it by now.  Why have your old GM conduct your draft just to give the new GM the team?  He had time to install a new GM to handle the draft and coaching hunt.
      The most likely thing is that Gores respects Jackson’s opinion, and it was Jackson’s opinion that Shaw be given the job.  So now we have to wait for Shaw to interview.  That said, I am more and more hoping it’s Larry Drew that gets the job.  Something about him and this team just makes me think they will bring out the best in each other.

• May 30, 20133:02 pm
        by Reaction

I know it is a major major stretch but the reason why it could be possible is because maybe he thinks Dumars knows more about the draft at this point since he has been conducting / managing the draft specialists thus far. Therefore, he probably would know the players entering the draft better.

• May 30, 20133:06 pm
          by GM

Yeah, I get that.  But Phil Jackson isn’t a fool, and has been a part of the game for a long time.  I don’t think handling a draft would be that challenging for him.  I think it would be more of the salary cap stuff, especially the long term projections and all that.  I think hiring a coach and running a draft would be the part he would be ready for out of the gate.

• May 30, 20137:10 pm
          by Who Is Us?

I posted this yesterday, but it is just as applicable here.
          You people do realize that phil jackson has zero front office and personnel experience? in all his years with the bulls and lakers he never made a single player personnel decision, all that was done by jerry west, mitch kupchak, and jerry krause. as for hiring shaw, even if the pistons hired jackson tomorrow, he couldnt hire shaw any faster than dumars.
          anyone who wants to argue that jackson has learning experience from watching his prior gms should really think hard about how his teams were constructed. how many great players did phil watch the bulls draft? zero.  best player two players drafted while he was the coach were bj armstrong and toni kukoc. the list is even worse with the lakers andrew bynum? luke walton? at least sasha vujacic gets some consideration for being maria sharapovas fiance.
          since he wasnt the gm on any of those teams he didnt orchestrate any of the free agency moves the teams made eitherand in each case he walked into the situatin with team stars already lined up. iwith the lakers he walked into a roster with shaq, kobe, fisher, fox, rice, horry, harper, salley, lue, green, shaw, and george.
          the bulls handed phil a roster with jordan, pippen, cartwright, paxon, perdue, hodges, grant, and corzine.
          those rosters contain the majority of phil championship winning players. ph il jackson is not a front office savoir, hes a great coach who won with great players signed and drafted bygreat front office managers.

• May 30, 20139:18 pm
            by GM

You’re right, Phil Jackson has no clue how to look for the qualities that he believes are needed to be a successful head coach. He will need a few years to be ready to make that kind of decision.  And he isn’t ready to watch game film, conduct workouts or talk to scouts and figure out what players will be good for the team.
            Yeah, dude, we get it: Phil Jackson has never been a GM before. But as I said, were he to take a job as a GM, there are some things he’ll be able to handle easier than others. Is he ready to hire a coach for a team? Of course. Is he ready to control a team’s salary cap and hand out contracts that better a team without bogging it down over the long term? Probably not yet.
            And look, unless you have been within the front office teams of the teams he has worked for, don’t talk like you know exactly how decisions were made. I highly doubt that the Lakers were just handing him players without discussing it with him and getting his feedback on how they would fit into his system.

• May 30, 20132:51 pm
    by DoctorDave

I don’t get the “power struggle between Gores & Dumars” argument. There is no power struggle there. If Gores wants X and Dumars wants Z, then X gets hired. Power struggles occur between people on the same plane/level. Dumars works for Gores: therefore, there is no power struggle. There may be a power struggle between Dumars and Jackson, but certainly not between Dumars and Gores.
    Straight up: the Pistons haven’t hired McMillan yet because A) they aren’t finished with the interview process (regardless of what has been said); or B) they’ve already decided that he’s not the next coach (and don’t need to announce that).

• May 30, 20134:18 pm
      by CNA5

Most people in the NBA have Shaw as the most likely assistant to have success as a head coach.  A number of players, coaches, and GMs hold him in high regard.

My guess is that the Pistons really want to interview Shaw before they make a decision.  I think the report is accurate that Dumars likes McMillan and Cheeks, but I also think they have to interview Shaw and see if he wows them.  I think he’s one of their top candidates heading into the search.

• Jun 1, 20133:08 pm
        by DoctorDave

My guess: they’ve already “interviewed” him informally/unofficially. Isn’t that what Phil Jackson’s purpose is, here?
        Another guess: Mc & Cheeks aren’t going to get hired by Detroit until after Shaw is available and can officially accept or decline the position.
        A third guess: Shaw is already the next coach, but nothing can be announced until he’s finished with this year’s playoffs (because that’s the way the Pacers want it).
        I’m going with all three. It’s really the only position that makes any sense.

• May 30, 20134:43 pm
      by The Rake

I don’t disagree with this thinking. Not sure its quite that cut and dry, but I see it, in principle.

• Jun 1, 20133:10 pm
        by DoctorDave

Hey, Rake,
        Nothing else really makes any sense at this point. If Mc or Cheeks is The Guy, then hire him already (it doesn’t take long to choose a coach – check out other teams that have already replaced their coach).
        My guess: Shaw is IN just as soon as the Pacers are OUT.

• May 30, 20132:51 pm
    by Carl

Looks like Shaw is atop the Clippers’ list of coaches alongside JVG.  Pretty sure he would accept LA before Detroit.

• May 30, 20134:00 pm
      by CNA5

Never underestimate the Donald Sterling factor…

• May 30, 20132:53 pm
    by Vic

• May 30, 20133:01 pm
      by GM

Did it occur to you that maybe he didn’t want to coach the Pistons?  It’s not like Gores says “you’re hired!” and the coach signs the contract.  If that were the case, the Pistons should have hired Popovich.

• May 30, 20133:58 pm
        by CNA5

Bingo.  Danny Ferry (also from the Spurs) is the GM of the Hawks- so there’s already a solid coach-GM relationship forged.

Sometimes these guys only get one chance.  I can see why the Hawks could be less of a gamble in his mind than Detroit.

I get the impression that the Pistons are open to hiring a first time head coach, but prefer to hire someone who has sat in the big chair before.

• May 30, 20134:40 pm
    by The Rake

Drew supposedly is one of two finalists for Milwaukee job, so I don’t suspect this is a likely fit, though there is as much, if not slightly more, intrigue here then there is for McMillan IMO. I’d prefer Shaw first but thats a candidate that will have competition, supposedly from Clips and/or Brooklyn. Drew, Malone, McMillan all fall back options (if Malone not already a done deal with Sac as has been hinted).

• May 30, 20136:51 pm
      by City of Klompton

Well, if Drew is already a finalist for the Milwaukee job, of course he would have interest in interviewing with another team.  This would only push the issue a little for Milwaukee, plus, he could potentially get a bit of a salary bump out of a perceived demand.  Whether he is sincerely interested in coaching the Pistons or not, this would be a win-win for him.

• May 30, 20135:08 pm

I’d still like David Joerger to be considered.

• May 30, 20135:31 pm
    by Lorenzo

Only reasoning that really makes sense is they want to wait to interview either Shaw, Fizdale, or maybe Hollins. Taking into account the Jackson relationship; it’s probably Shaw.

Drew should be interviewed though, although one of the final three candidates for the Bucks job…. I get the feeling it’s going to be Sampson’s job to lose.

• May 30, 20136:32 pm
    by Bob

I believe the Pistons should deal for Thomas Robinson.  According to Yahoo, the Rockets are open to dealing him to clear space for d12, and he’d be a nice pickup as a 3rd big, and us still a much better prospect than any big we could draft.  Best of all, it says Houston may only be looking for a TPE, and we could since we have cap room.

• May 30, 20136:33 pm
    by mshansky

How about interviewing a candidate who actually WANTS to coach the pistons?
    Maybe “due diligence” is a euphemism for, “Waiting to see who is NOT hired by other tea team.”
    Given the talent deficient, uncompetitive, unentertaining roster, it is highly unlikely the team will end up with EITHER a decent coach OR an improved roster..do you really think other teams would give up valuable players for Stuckey? Charlie V? And please stop drinking the koolaid about how Brandon knight, Monroe, and Drummoare represent a promising future…I certainly haven’t seen that in ANY of them.
    They are the BEST of a terrible team….
    The future is, and will be bleak for at least 3 more years….bank on it.
    First they actually need a PLAN….still waiting on that…..waiting…..

• May 30, 20137:03 pm
      by City of Klompton

I don’t know what kool-aid you’re drinking, but Drummond and Monroe have shown they could be significant pieces to a good team.  They might be on the level of a Durant, Bryant, or Lebron, but Monroe put up numbers better or similar to guys people are going ape-shit over right now.  Drummond’s PER and per36 averages are also staggering.  Believing they’re going to suddenly be contenders is another story, but to completely dismiss the value Drummond and Monroe have is purely ignorance and/or pessimism.  The reason this team has been so laughable is because the rest of the team IS laughable.  Put some players around these guys, and watch the team improve (as they will also.  They’re young guys.  Drummond was a ROOKIE last season.  C’mon, man…)

• May 30, 20137:05 pm
        by City of Klompton

Correction… there should be a “NOT” in the following statement between “might” and “be”… They might NOT be on the level of a Durant, Bryant, or Lebron, but Monroe put up numbers

• May 30, 20137:10 pm
    by DTroyEveryThang

Please stop dogging Brandon Knight, because if the new coach help him develop his game. The same people that dogging him will be the same people singing his praise, so let wait until the new coaching staff work with him before rushing to judgement.

• May 31, 201310:03 am
      by NickB

I sort of agree, but it’s not hard to see why people are ready to dump him. In 2 years with the Pistons and one year in Kentucky, he’s never really shown himself to be a great PG who can run the offense.

Still, I’d rather either build a better team around him and try to develop him as a PG, or dump him and get a legit PG of the future like Trey Burke. Moving him to SG is just not going to work. He’s too small to ever really effectively defend the position, and he doesn’t seem natural there on offense either.

• May 31, 201311:30 am
        by sebastian

Nick B. wrote (about B. Knight as a SG): He’s too small to ever really effectively defend the position, and he doesn’t seem natural there on offense either.
        Agreed! Agreed! Agreed! This is what I have said, since the beginning of this ridiculous experiment. B. Knight is not a SG, because of his inability to consistently and successfully guard the position.
        And, what I have tried to express upon fellow, Pistons fans, is that the effort that B. Knight expends at guarding the position has an affect on his offense. Because playing bigger players at the SG position, throughout the course of the game has a negative affect on his offensive game, as he is potentially more fatigued and then has to score against the opponent, who may be bigger, stronger, a quicker.
        No. B. Knight is a PG.

• May 30, 20138:09 pm
    by Coach_Ackley

Who is us- I agree 100% with your statement. … Couldn’t have said it any better myself. ..

• May 30, 20138:32 pm
    by Anthony

What I wouldn’t mind seeing is a Phil Jackson hiring in the role of a Bryan Colangelo. President but there is still a gm in place. This way everyone wins. Jackson gets the position he’s been hoping for. Joe D keep his job. Gores gets his “right hand man” in Jackson, and us fans are happy with he franchise hiring Jackson in any way, shape, or form.

• May 30, 20138:37 pm
    by Bob

I wouldn’t want Phil in any capacity other than head coach.  Simply hiring him due to his coaching resume isn’t a smart hire, especially considering every team he’s coached has been built around Kobe or Jordan.  He’s never proven he can build a team without a true superstar, and he was incredibly lucky to have 2 of the best to ever do it

• May 30, 20138:49 pm
    by Sop

I like Drew. The big question is how would this influence chances to get Josh Smith or other free agents.

• May 30, 20138:53 pm
    by qm_22

From a very raw viewpoint, it could be argued on paper many of those Hawks teams outperformed their roster and that those Hawks teams were only moderately better than the Pistons, but had much better records. After Lawrence Frank, the questions I have about Drew and any candidate with previous HC experience are-
    1. Did opposing teams generally easily adapt to or exploit his schemes?
    2. Did he foster development of young and key players?
    3. Did he make the most of his rosters talent? Besides his teams’ records, did he play individual players to their strengths and/or in a position most beneficial to the team?
    4. Did Atlanta have a good reason to fire him?
    He definitely seems like an upgrade from a distance but OTOH I don’t follow the Hawks much at all.

• May 31, 201312:09 am
    by ryan

We absolutely need to make this happen. Thomas Robinson is very worth his rookie salary and has potential to be very good.

• May 31, 201312:16 am
    by ryan

Also I like Larry Drew or Nate McMillan as long as we don’t sign Josh Smith.

• May 31, 20131:18 am
    by sam

• May 31, 20132:19 am
      by CityofKlompton

Do you watch basketball at all? Monroe and Drumming are not going to be Rasheed and Ben revisited.  Neither groups are similar other than the fact that they are front court players.  Also, if you’re hoping for Larry Brown, keep dreaming.  Or better yet, maybe we can just put the whole 04 team back together? Should work, right?

• May 31, 20132:20 am
        by CityofKlompton

*Drummond. Damn my autocorrect!!!!!!!

• May 31, 20133:23 am
          by mike

lol you keep correcting everybody, and then correct yourself after lmao

• May 31, 20131:19 am
    by sam

what about Larry Brown i wont mind bring him back Monroe and Drummond can be be like Rashed and Ben and he was a good coach i wish we could bring him back  we didnt have a superstar but he made our players become superstars

• May 31, 20133:29 am
    by mike

Chris Paul angry with the Clippers!

We need to find out who Paul’s favorite coach is and then hire him here,, and lure Paul with him ;)

• May 31, 20133:31 am
      by mike

Article says he may be willing to go elsewhere for less money now because of this.

Gores needs to use his LA connections along with Phil to get Paul to come here.

• May 31, 201312:29 pm
        by G

The only way Chris Paul comes here is if Phil is coach. I’ve said it before, there are maybe 3 or 4 coaches in the last 15 years that a player would leave aside other considerations (like location, $, or having a starring role on the team) to play for. Phil is definitely one of those guys. Detroit has a much lower talent level, a much worse location, and is currently out of contention for at LEAST 2 more years (and probably more like 5 or more) unless something miraculous happens. Without a “bucket list” coach at the helm, no way does Paul come here.

Add to that the fact that I SERIOUSLY doubt Phil is ever going to coach again. He might end up with a GM/HC job that he can hand the HC portion off to an assistant after a couple years, but I just don’t see him taking a job here. Sorry.

• May 31, 201312:33 pm
    by Phunwin

I like the Drew idea, but his improvement on Woodson’s Hawks defenses isn’t quite as significant as one sees at first blush.  True, Woodson’s early Hawks teams were trainwrecks defensively, but the 2008-9 Hawks were 11th in defensive efficiency (a more valuable stat than points allowed, since it accounts for pace), and the 2009-10 Hawks were 13th.  Drew’s defensive efficiency rankings as head coach, from 2010-11 forward; 15th, 6th, 10th.
    Drew’s offensive efficiency rankings aren’t anything special: 21st, 14th, 15th.  In fairness, some of that is surely due to Josh Smith’s ballhogging and love of long 2 pointers.

• May 31, 20136:30 pm
    by The Rake

And with that, he has been declared HC of the Bucks.

• May 31, 20138:32 pm
    by mshansky

Larry Drew just signed with the Bucks…..waiting for Kuester?

• May 31, 201311:20 pm
    by Anthony

Well too late. He just accosted tis bucks job. Check it out. He’s off the market. If we don’t get shaw now ill be pretty mad. If its not shaw it’s needs to be Obradovic and if not him then we should just cancel the search and call frank back lol

• Apr 8, 201411:25 pm
    by frankansley

Replica Chanel bags, the world's fashion bags for every woman who eager to get. A variety of the newest cheap chanel bags are in the most competitive price on sale. It's a real buy at that price.