Andre Drummond initiated plan to train with Hakeem Olajuwon

NEW YORK – Andre Drummond didn’t respond directly to my question about what he hoped to get from training with Hakeem Olajuwon this summer.

“What?” Drummond gasped.

I wasn’t sure whether he heard me. He was, after all, walking from the Millennium Broadway Hotel to Times Square Studios for the lottery while we talked. But he also might have seen the question as dumb. After all, why train with Olajuwon for reasons other than refining post moves?

I repeat the question with an implied, “You know, specifically.”

“Obviously, get a better offensive set and use my quick speed and my feet to my advantage,” Drummond said.

I still have much of the same skepticism about how much Olajuwon will help Drummond, but I’m becoming more optimistic. Drummond moves extremely well for his size, and and even if Olajuwon doesn’t turn Drummond into a great, or even good, post player, better footwork could help in a lot of ways.

Just as when the news broke, I remain impressed with Drummond’s initiative, especially once he confirmed the Pistons didn’t urge him to approach Olajuwon.

“It was my idea to look and seek him out,” Drummond said. “I’m glad that he accepted the offer and wanted to work with me when the time’s right.”

• May 24, 20139:18 am
    by I HATE FRANK

would love for shaq to take him under his wing…(BASKETBALL WISE)

• May 24, 20139:40 am
      by G

Uh, why?

• May 24, 201310:08 am
      by Jeremy

I am seconding G’s question. Shaq was an offensive force mainly because of his size – I almost believe that his size and weight combination are the biggest seen together in one player in the league’s history. There was 7+ footers and 300+ pounders before in the league and will continue to be in the future. But I don’t think that combination is seen often – especially with athleticism.

I like that Andre is seeking out training from one of the game’s greats. I also think David Robinson could be a good player for Andre to take bits and pieces from as well. This may sound a bit crazy, but I think Sheed would be a great mentor for Monroe in the post. Sheed got lazy and that was the result of all the 3 popping that was going on but his low post game was amongst the best.

• May 24, 201311:30 am
        by G

Shaq had good footwork but was terrible in the gym (showed up overweight 9 out of the last 10 years of his career), and didn’t have a ton of post moves. I don’t see him as much of a teacher either.

Best post games I’ve seen:
        1. Olajuwon
        2. McHale
        3. Duncan
        4. Kareem
        5. Probably Webber or Z-bo

• May 24, 201312:16 pm
          by G

Garnett’s in there too. I thought about some other guys like Malone & Barkley but neither really used the post game as a primary tool. Nowitzki, ‘Melo, Pau, and Kobe follow in some order.

• May 24, 20132:18 pm
          by D

And after after Olajuwon, McHale, and Duncan, there’s a pretty big drop-off in terms of post games.

• May 24, 20132:27 pm
            by G

You mean after Kareem. Don’t underestimate Kareem, owner of the most unstoppable shot in basketball. He had some other moves too, and a smooth offensive game all around.

I probably missed a lot of the better post players like Unseld, Wilt, Cowens, etc.

• May 24, 20132:28 pm
            by G

(by “missed” I mean “never saw them play”)

• May 24, 20139:34 am
    by mixmasta

“when the time’s right.”

And when is the right time?

• May 24, 201310:13 am
    by Some Dude

I think this is great, Drummond already has some hidden offensive ability. Watch his college footage, and also last years combine/summer league footage.  He can nail a 10-12 foot jump-shot. I even saw him hit a few fade-aways, so working with The Dream will definitely help his offensive game.

• May 24, 201310:49 am
    by danny

He has an unusual array or talents.  He is able to hit tough shots but cant hit the basic shots with consistency.   Dream will teach him a few moves that are one dribble drop steps or up and unders.  This will be good for him moving forward.

• May 24, 201311:30 am
    by gmehl

Just for a second imagine Drummond with:

a reliable baby hook
    a drop step
    10 consistent foot jump shot
    improved free throw shooting
    better foot work on offence and defence

If he could add just 2 of those 5 things then he will average 15pts/12reb next season.

Ahhhh the mouth waters!

• May 28, 20139:29 am

You’re forgetting one thing:  some more stamina.

Drummond seemed to wear out pretty quick whenever he played extended minutes.

• May 24, 20131:26 pm
    by Big Rick

I like your list of top post players G, hard to argue that but I thing Big Al Jefferson belongs in that A conversation as well.

• May 24, 20132:13 pm
      by G

Thanks. Jefferson’s good, but there are several players I’d put over him. His footwork isn’t actually that good, and he relies HEAVILY on pump fakes. That means that his initial move isn’t good enough to get him a shot. I’d probably put Moses Malone, Shaq, Robinson and over-30 Jordan on that list ahead of Big Al.