Tom Gores on Joe Dumars and Lawrence Frank: ‘We’re going to do this very, very quickly, but thoroughly’

Keith Langlois of Pistons.com:

“We’re assessing everything fast,” Gores said when asked if he had a timeline in mind for decisions on the futures of team leadership. “It’s a very important time, a critical time for the franchise. We’re fortunate enough to have a good young group of people, so we’ll do it fast, like we did when we came in and bought the team. We’re going to do this very, very quickly, but thoroughly.”

Gores said he met with president of basketball operations Joe Dumars and head coach Lawrence Frank on Sunday.

“I expected better results,” he said. “I met with Joe and Lawrence yesterday and let them know that. They’re great guys that know their business, but I’m here assessing everything. My job is to move this franchise forward.”

Asked about the job status of Dumars and Frank, Gores said, “We’re assessing it right now. Both of them, including ownership, has to be accountable for the year.

Gores said any decision on Frank’s future would involve his input.

“It’ll be a discussion,” he said. “I have to be involved because I’m taking care of this franchise. There’s no doubt I have to be involved. Lawrence is a tremendous guy, but I have to really think about this franchise and what the best thing is.”

Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like at least one of Lawrence Frank and Joe Dumars will be gone. This was a perfect opportunity for Gores to give a vote of confidence in the pair, and he didn’t do that. I don’t see how he can avoid declaring his faith in them, say “My job is to move this franchise forward” and then bring back both.

And my goodness, if “Lawrence is a tremendous guy,” isn’t the biggest kiss of death since when Gores bought the team and spoke about John Kuester,* I don’t know what is.

*Asked about Kuester’s future with the Pistons, Gores indicated it may be limited to one more task.

“I haven’t had a meeting with Coach Kuester,” said Gores, who pronounced the coach’s name, Kooster. “I need to provide him the courtesy of that meeting.”

By all accounts, Gores has been very involved in the franchise’s operations. He doesn’t need to fly in to learn about how the team is run. It sounds like he already knows what he’ll do and is waiting for the right time to do it.

• Apr 16, 20132:47 pm
    by Desolation Row

The case for Joe D: he’s the lone holdover at this point from the team of the early 2000′s. What exactly are we rooting for if the team completely cleans house, top-to-bottom? An efficient money-making machine controlled by a billionaire in California that happens to brand itself with the name “Detroit” and squeeze all the demand it can out of our market?

I know it’s not the most sane case to make, but Dumars at least maintains the illusion of consistency, culture, and hometown pride with rooting for this pro sports team. If nothing else about Dumars tempts Gores to keep him, I hope he at least considers what firing Dumars symbolizes culture and fan-wise.

• Apr 16, 20132:54 pm
      by Desolation Row

Sorry… a* case, not the case for Joe D.

• Apr 16, 20133:48 pm
      by T Casey

I see where you’re going there and I would agree that if the culture of the team somehow changed dramatically from being blue collar, hard working team oriented play to throwing money at the biggest names out there I would be very disappointed. However, if Gores brings in someone who keeps the Pistons culture alive while making better signings and trades, I’ll be all for front office change.

• Apr 16, 20134:06 pm
      by G

Remember that Joe D himself departed from the “blue collar culture” the Pistons had going when he signed Charlie V and Ben Gordon and drafted Austin Daye. What’s the last free agency move Dumars did that emphasized defense?

• Apr 16, 20134:36 pm
        by Desolation Row

I didn’t necessarily mean the blue collar culture so much as I mean the actual historical continuity. I think for a lot of fans of my generation (early-to-mid 20′s), Dumars was the one constant throughout our fandom of the Pistons. He is the Pistons. The holdover from childhood memories. If he’s out, there’s literally no anchor between these Pistons and the past. Just the team name.

Which again begs to question, what exactly are we rooting for if we can’t give Joe freaking Dumars, who built a freaking championship team and won two rings as a player, the benefit of the doubt to try and do it one more time? Tom Gores’ newfound revenue stream with the city of Detroit stamped on it?

Not doing a good job of communicating it, but firing Dumars just leaves me with the sports fan equivalent of an existential dilemma.

• Apr 16, 20135:07 pm
          by G

So keep Joe D on the payroll purely for nostalgia’s sake? I think that’s a bad idea. I think you keep him on if you think he’s capable of turning the team around, but you don’t keep him on just because he’s “Joe freaking Dumars”. He gets a little lee-way for the 2004 championship, but he’s just about used that up.

• Apr 16, 20134:27 pm
      by T Casey

They weren’t defensive players, no, but they weren’t the biggest names available if I remember correctly. The goal he had was to sign good system players that he thought would work well together. Problem is, like you said, they were bad at defense and not reliable offensive players either. I’d say those signings were more an instance of Dumars trying too hard to find a diamond in the rough when it was obvious to most that he was overpaying than him just throwing money at the biggest names, but in any event he did offer too much money for too little.

• Apr 16, 20134:36 pm
        by G

You remember incorrectly. Gordon and Villanueva were the biggest names available in a weak year for free agency. The bigger year would’ve been the following year, after Dumars already blew his wad on BG, Charlie V, and by overpaying Maxiell and Rip.

• Apr 16, 201311:46 pm
          by T Casey

You’re right. I couldn’t remember if those signings were the same year as the big free agency with Lebron, Amare, Wade and Bosh or not, but that clears things up. I guess he did go all out, or at least his version of it, that year.

• Apr 16, 20133:00 pm
    by piston moribund

Code: Dumars is toast. Code:
    Code: Frank is burnt toast. Code:
    Code: My bloated ego matches my bank account. Code:
    Code: My imagine is taking a hit in tinsel town so I need to dress things up for show. Code:
    Code: My idea about booking has-been past their prime performers was such a great hit, I am ready to take my act into managing a team.  My new GM is ME. Code:
    Maybe I can ask all the old timers to get back together and play and then people will come watch and then pay me so i can show off.
    Im 6 years old and I own a shinny new team.

• Apr 16, 20133:01 pm
    by frankie d

at least gores hasn’t suffered from the amnesia that most fans – at least the frank apologists – seem to have suffered from.
    he remembers the supposedly corner-turning that happened last year.  he remembers the idea that this team – pre-drummond – was supposed to be good enough to at least challenge for the playoffs.
    all of the frank apologists somehow forget that stuff and fall back on, “the talent sucks…” mantra.
    BS.
    while it is not a great team, talent-wise, it was surely good enough to make a decent run at the playoffs.
    going through a season like the team just had is one thing.  fielding a team that is competitive, with an identity, that plays hard 82 games a a year is quite another.  even if that team ultimately did not reach its ultimate goal of making the playoffs.
    good to see that gores at least has a good memory, and that he seems to know the difference..

• Apr 16, 20134:02 pm
      by vic

right! “we’re a .500 team the last part of the season” pre-Drummond and then this?

I guess you don’t become a billionaire without a memory.

• Apr 16, 20133:36 pm
    by Otis

Fingers crossed. Long live “former Pistons GM Joe Dumars!”

• Apr 16, 20133:52 pm
    by David

Seems really unlikely they’d fire Dumars but keep Frank. And even if they do it would pretty clearly be for a year to keep things consistent while a new front office gets up to speed.

I think Frank should go. He’s had a good influence on the locker room culture but beyond that it doesn’t really feel like he’s done a great (or even good) job developing the young players, or implementing effective defensive and offensive systems.

I’m completely on the fence about Dumars. I know it seems like he’s overstayed his welcome, and he’s definitely made mistakes in the past, but he hasn’t been a bad GM. His front office has drafted very well (with a few misses, but look at his history in the 2nd round. probably the best in the league, or near the top).

My two biggest concerns with keeping Dumars but firing Frank:

I’d guess Dumars has a terrible reputation with coaches around the league. What’s the longest tenure a head coach has had in Detroit? If they fire Frank, it might be hard to entice a good coach to come and work under Dumars.
    This off season is shaping up to be pretty big. Lots of cap space, a decent draft pick, a bunch of open roster spots. Dumars might do a great job with all of this, but its really the chance to shape the Pistons for the next few years. Keep Dumars now and you might as well keep him for the next 3.

Biggest concern with firing both Frank and Dumars: that’s got the feeling of a serious “rebuild”. It’s hard for a new GM and new coach to just come in and move things forward.

• Apr 16, 20133:54 pm
    by Mark

I’m not against Joe coming back, but I don’t get the logic from ppl saying he deseres 1 more year.

If you are going to bring him back, its got to be a longterm commitment or none at all.

Because he’s about to spend major money on a bunch of longterm contracts. So can anyone say give him 1 more year, when he’s going to be signing contracts for the next 4-5 yrs?

You give him 1 more year and he makes the wrong signings, it won’t be just fire him and start over. It would be fire him, and then you are left waiting 4 more years for those contracts to expire BEFORE you can start over again.

That’s why its hard to imagine him coming back. Because if Gores is undecided about it right now… if he’s not 100% sold on Dumars being here the next 4-5 yrs… then you almost have to make a change right now, because like Gores said, right now is the crucial point for the franchise, and they won’t be in this position again for another 4 yrs.

And when you consider all the money and assets Gores had to shell out the last 2 yrs to get this capspace that’s he talking about, all because of errors Dumars made, it doesn’t make sense for him to then allow Joe the opportunity to make the same errors again.

Gores had to pay to buyout Rip, which was Dumars fault. Then he had to give up a valuable 1st round pick to get rid of Gordon’s contract, which was Dumars fault. So while some will credit Dumars for creating this capspace, its actually Gores who deserves the credit, because he’s the one who put up the assets to make it happen, and only had to because of Joe’s past failures.

So its hard to think he would now risk Joe doing the same thing again. I think he’s been waiting to bring in his own guy to run the team, someone he selects and not inherits, and didn’t want to dump a Pistons legend right from the start. But now thats it been 2 yrs of losing, he can do it and be justified among fans, and I think thats what he’s going to do.

• Apr 16, 201311:35 pm
      by Otis

I think you hit the nail right on the head. I don’t think you got this clean slate just to let Joe mess it up before he gets canned. Whatever he did this summer could be difficult to fully evaluate after just a year. It makes sense all around to clean house and give someone a chance to bring some vision and leadership to the front office.

• Apr 16, 20133:56 pm
    by piston moribund

Gores is thinking about Dicky V. as the new GM/coach.  He thinks that People will pay to watch an old has been coach and revive his career and the team.  Go Tommy!!

• Apr 16, 20133:57 pm
    by G

Dumars’ best defense is that this season was sacrificed with the BG trade to get cap space for this summer. But if this season was going to be sacrificed, WHY GO 5-2 IN APRIL??? Joe D may be too stubborn for his own good.

• Apr 16, 20134:17 pm
      by Mark

The problem with that defense is that it was Joe’s own fault for signing BG in the first place that we had to be in this position to tank a season just to clear the contract.

Like you say a lot of bad seasons, assets given up, and extra money had to be paid out to get this capspace, and it was because of Joe. Why would Gores then give the guy responsible for this mess, another 25 mil to spend again and do the same thing all over again?

• Apr 16, 20134:26 pm
        by Desolation Row

Because he’s one of a handful of current GM’s who has actually fielded a championship team.

• Apr 16, 20134:45 pm
        by G

A point I made in an earlier post was if Gores was going to fire Dumars, he should’ve done it already. Most of the mistakes Dumars made were prior to Gores buying the team. Since then, Dumars has made several ok to good moves that put the Pistons in place to be players this off-season and sped up the rebuilding process (which was at a crawl).

Basically, none of the reasons Gores would have for firing Dumars occurred in the last 12 months (other than Dumars’ refusal to tank, possibly).

• Apr 16, 20135:12 pm
          by Jay

Not to mention that the scouting staff has already put in the work for this draft gathering data. Obviously the draft board prep doesn’t start in earnest until the end of the season, but you don’t usually keep the subordinate staff when you fire a GM.

• Apr 16, 20136:14 pm
            by Mark

I don’t really think this draft pick is any high priority right now. Its a 7-8 pick in a weak draft.

Getting it right with the capspace is most important. Gores didn’t mention anything abou the draft. He talked about the capspace because he knows getting big time vets is whats going to turn this around, not adding 1 rookie in a weak draft.

• Apr 17, 20136:43 pm
      by Reaction

Chances of Pistons landing Burke now… slim to none especially with Smart staying in college.

• Apr 17, 20136:45 pm
        by Reaction

Also I really think we should save our cap space for next summer not this one. That way we can pick up a high draft pick in the next (2014) draft which is supposed to be very deep and loaded of quality players.

• Apr 16, 20134:14 pm
    by Jay

Frank lost the team and the fans by not playing Drummond when he was clearly the better player than Maxiell this season. He also refused to use 3 of the other 4 rookies except as Darko style human victory (or more often defeat) cigars. Now that the season is ending with the young kids playing more we are seeing that they can play, and should have been playing all along. The jury is still out on English, Middleton has shown that he may yet turn into the player he was at A&M before the injury when he was a 1st round prospect, Singler is a solid rotation guy who is one of, if not the best 3pt shooter in the rookie class, can’t tell what Kratzov will be since he rarely saw the floor, and Drummond already looks like he could be this generation’s Shaq. Decisions on who plays and how long have been the exclusive decision of the coaching staff.

Knight, Drummond, Monroe, Middleton, Jerebko, Bynum, and Singler are the reason that Joe D should keep his job. If you don’t want to give him credit for rebuilding the Pistons in the past. Give him credit for the guys he’s brought in now. Knight, Drummond, and Monroe have each been chosen for the Rising Stars game over the past couple of years which has been a pretty good indicator of future All Star selections (and this year’s R.S. game not withstanding, B. Knight has owned Kyrie Irving in head-to-head). Middleton and Singler are both 1st round talents, that Joe D got in the 2nd round.Is there any question that Jerebko was a steal as a 2nd round pick? Joe brought Will Bynum over from Turkey, name me 5 other back-up PG who are more dynamic than he is? Does he have faults? Yes, are there and back up PGs that don’t? That is why they are back-ups! Joe D jettisoned the mistake he made in Gordon, moved Prince for immediate cap space, and could still make more moves to get rid of Charlie V and Stuckey. Joe D HAS done a good job with the draft, and when he hasn’t he found a way to correct them with trades that bring back valuable assets.

Of the two Joe D deserves the 2nd chance, especially since, according to reports at the time, Lawrence Frank wasn’t his choice as coach, he wanted Avery Johnson. Gores made the choice on the coach, Joe D has stocked the shelf with good young talent and cap space to add good young vets. When it comes down to it, I still trust that Joe D will turn it around. I don’t have that trust in Frank.

• Apr 16, 20134:46 pm
      by G

I heard Dumars wanted Mike Woodson, not Avery Johnson.

• Apr 16, 20135:09 pm
        by Jay

The two finalist for the job were Johnson and Frank. Woodson already had a job.

• Apr 16, 20135:22 pm
          by oats

Avery Johnson wasn’t a candidate because he wanted too much power. He was demanding a say in personnel that Dumars wouldn’t give him. Johnson also was hired June 10th, and Woodson was around until August 29th. Johnson was hired first so that is just wrong.

Plus, there’s this.

• Apr 16, 20136:16 pm
          by Mark

You have it backwards. Johnson was the one who already had a job. He was the Nets coach.

Joe wanted Avery during the Kuester hire. During the Frank hire it was between Frank and Woodson and they chose Frank.

Then Woodson went to be an assistant for Dantoni in NY, and took over when he was fired.

• Apr 16, 20136:23 pm
            by Jay

I stand corrected.

• Apr 16, 20134:22 pm
    by Mark

Frank’s biggest fault aside from his record was definitely refusing to play Drummond all year, in favor of Maxiell. But at the same time, where was Joe in all of that?

imo he was just as resonsible because he was the one guy that could’ve went to Frank and demanded Drummond start. The fact that he did nothing says he was on board with Maxiell starting, and its obvious now that had we started Drummond sooner we wouldve had a better record this year. So I think a lot of our poor season goes on Joe simply for not knowing his own roster, and knowing which players needed to start to give us the best chance to win.

• Apr 16, 20134:33 pm
    by Jay

On the other hand though, we’ve seen the same thing with Prince, Stuckey, and Monroe. Joe D has never gone to the coaches and demanded that a player get more minutes. He has always maintained that he lets his coaches do the coaching and determine playing time and that it is his job to obtain the tools.
    I think that attitude is both good and bad. But as a coach that is the type of management that I would want to work with, rather than a meddlesome influence like Jerry Jones.  But you are right, Joe D could have been more heavy handed and demanded that Drummond get time, it just would have been out of character.
    I still think that Dumars should get the chance to stay.

• Apr 16, 20134:41 pm
    by Ryank

I think this is Gores playing tough for the camera…he wants to send a message to the fan base he’s engaged and is going to do what it takes to win.  At the end of the day, I don’t see him canning Dumars because he mentions how “we’ve set ourselves up.”  He’s saying management did a good job, then he’s going to fire Dumars…  Doesn’t really make sense.

Frank…I don’t know.  He hasn’t impressed me a great coach, but who else are you going to get?  Doug Collins is going to be unemployed if you believe the headlines…he would be an impact coach for sure, but an expensive one.

• Apr 16, 20134:54 pm
      by Desolation Row

Coaches don’t count against salary cap, so fans shouldn’t care at all about how expensive a coach is. If anything, we should by outraged when an owner doesn’t hire a coach because they’re “too expensive”. If a couple million dollars is going to turn a profitable team into being unprofitable, chances are there exist some other major issues for the franchise already and they are already packing bags for Seattle. We should absolutely hire the best coach available, regardless of salary. If Gores doesn’t hire a Doug Collins or Jerry Sloan or anyone else because they are too expensive, fans should be outraged not understanding.

Totally get that you’re speaking from a pragmatic perspective trying to read Gores’ mind more than advocating the case, just sparked a thought and had to rant :)

• Apr 16, 201311:33 pm
      by gmehl

@RyanK I agree with everything you said. Joe ain’t getting fired but Frank on the other hand is a dead man walking.

• Apr 16, 20134:57 pm
    by Jay

My coaching shopping list would be:
    Sloan (not happening though, too old to come back for a rebuild)
    Stan Van Gundy
    Nate McMillan
    Avery Johnson
    Mike Brown
    Bill Laimbeer
    In that order.

• Apr 16, 20135:07 pm
      by Jay

Probably should at least consider Terry Porter and Mo Cheeks in there somewhere too.

• Apr 16, 20135:12 pm
        by Mark

Porter and Mo Cheeks are no better than Frank

• Apr 17, 20138:15 am
          by G

^Agree. Porter is probably a slight downgrade from Frank, actually.

• Apr 16, 20135:15 pm
      by oats

I really hate Mike Brown as a coach. He’s a guy who had no idea what to do with the best player in the world. Just no clue at all. He had to hire Kuester as his offensive coordinator, and Kuester improved things. You know the solution? Give LeBron the ball and get out of his way. Literally that was it. More isos for LeBron. It looked like an AAU team, and that was an improvement. He then took over the Lakers and had no idea what to do with them either. Brown is a bad coach.

I’m also not fond of Avery Johnson. Johnson is a guy that wears on his players. Not only that, but he also got less out of Devin Harris than Lawrence Frank did. That’s a problem. I’ve just never thought he was all that good. Johnson and Brown are exactly the kinds of retreads I would try to avoid.

• Apr 16, 20135:17 pm
      by Mark

no to Mcmillian, Johnson, and Brown too. These guys are all bums.

We need to look at proven winners only.

• Apr 16, 20135:29 pm
        by oats

McMillan is not a bum. He had a record over .500 despite dealing with poor cap space and the Greg Oden over Kevin Durant mess. Oden’s injury, followed by Roy’s injury just sank that team. Just awful luck for him. Plus, he’s one of the first coaches to truly understand the value of the 3 point shot. I used to think his teams were 3 point happy, but now they wouldn’t be all that unusual. He really is a solid coach who kind of got stuck in a bad situation.

• Apr 16, 20136:19 pm
          by Mark

Go take a closer look at his resume.

12 yrs coaching. 1 time making it out of the 1st round (in 2005).

Thats the coach you want?

I feel we can do a lot better than that.  We should be able to  find some who is successful in the reg season as well as the playoffs, and not just a gimmick reg season coach.

• Apr 16, 20138:47 pm
            by oats

Let’s start looking over those playoff teams. I don’t think it can all be held against McMillan, and I’d say what he did with the roster situations he had was pretty darn good actually.

2002: A 33 year old Gary Payton and 22 year old Rashard Lewis are the key players, with Lewis closely followed by Vin Baker. Vin Baker got hurt that year, and Seattle made it to the 7th seed anyways. They then ran in to a solid San Antonio team led by an in his prime Tim Duncan. That was the year before San Antonio won it all with the Duncan/Robinson twin towers. Just a bad draw.

2005: The year he won a series. That was the Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis team. Good team. They lost to eventual NBA champion San Antonio Spurs in 6. No shame in that.

The year after that he went to Porltand and had to rebuild that team, and they were awful. They had a bad cap situation and a reputation as the Jail Blazers they were actively trying to counter by having a fire sale. The team drafted well and he successfully got them to the playoffs after only missing it for 3 seasons.

2009: Portland got the 4 seed and drew Houston. That was an overachieving Portland team. It was pretty much a 2 man team with Aldridge and Roy. The third best player on that team was Steve Blake for crying out loud. Unless you want to give that title to Oden who was playing through yet another injury and only got 16 minutes a game in the playoffs. Meanwhile that Houston team had a pretty well balanced attack with Yao, Brooks, Artest, and Scola all averaging more than 14 points a game in the playoffs. Not a great loss, but not a disaster either.

2010: 6 seed that lost to Nash’s Suns. Roy was injured and put up less than 10 points a game in the playoffs. That one is awfully easy to understand.

2011: 6 seed that lost to eventual champion Dallas Mavericks. Once again, Roy was under 10 points a game in the playoffs and that was his last season with the team. Roy only played 47 games that year, and he was pretty bad.

• Apr 16, 201311:40 pm
          by gmehl

McMillan is certainly no bum. Also I think he has half a dozen coach of the month awards to his name which is no easy feat while he was coaching in the western conference.

• Apr 16, 20136:34 pm
        by Jay

Here’s the problem with “Proven Winners” is that they already have jobs. Forget Sloan and Jackson, they aren’t coming out of retirement to come to Detroit (especially not Jackson since he still hates the Pistons). You aren’t getting Popovich or Scott Brooks. So who do you want to bring in??

The only guys who are even close to the “Proven Winner” designation that don’t have current coaching gigs are the Van Gundy brothers, McMillan, and Johnson. You could include Brown for his work in Cleveland, but I do agree that more of that success was about LBJ. Unless you want to look at the retired coaches like Mike Fratello or Lenny Wilkens there really aren’t that many available proven winners because those guys already have jobs!

• Apr 17, 20136:53 pm
          by Reaction

The only way Jackson would come anywhere near Detroit is if he is offered a management position (IE GM etc). He has been actively looking for those type of jobs over coaching.

• Apr 16, 20135:07 pm
    by Jay

As for 1st time Head Coaches I would look at:

Laimbeer (since it would be his 1st NBA gig)
    Patrick Ewing
    Bob Macadoo
    Mike Budenholzer
    Mike Malone
    J.B. Bickerstaff
    Brian Shaw
    Stephen Silas

Laimbeer, Ewing, and Macadoo could do wonders for the big men. Shaw would be a good voice for Knight, Stuckey and whatever young guards the Pistons bring in. Budenholzer is Popovich’s #1 assistant.

• Apr 16, 201311:59 pm
      by T Casey

Laimbeer is off the market for a few years. He signed on with the NY Liberty to be their head coach/gm for the next 3 years. I think Ewing may deserve a shot, but I’d like to see somebody with more head coaching experience personally. I’d asume Budenholzer might be a good option as a Popovich protoge and I wouldn’t be upset with Ewing getting a shot. Laimbeer has been my dream Piston coach for a while now though and I hope he finds his way into a head coaching position here before too long.

• Apr 17, 201312:37 am
        by oats

Coaches skip out on deals all the time, and I don’t think Laimbeer would turn down an NBA job to stay in the WNBA. I’m betting he’d bolt in a heartbeat.

I like Budenholzer as a candidate just fine. Ewing is another story. I kind of associate him with choking, and as was pointed out he also brings to mind that whole Gold Club thing. That might not be fair, but it’s hard to take Ewing seriously.

• Apr 17, 20136:50 am
          by gmehl

Laimbeer no doubt would have an out-clause in his contract if an NBA gig ever came up.

• Apr 17, 20136:56 pm
      by Reaction

I wouldn’t mind Shaw, Budenholzer (Could turn out to be a Popovich 2.0 + he is fairly young and very intelligent), or Laimbeer. Shaw would do wonders with the guards + he gets along really well with players. Laimbeer would be a dominating presence and would command the respect of the players on the Pistons + he would be a sense of “toughness” that the Pistons are consistently lacking.

• Apr 16, 20138:18 pm
    by Andy Nong

Yes, I will also agree to choose either Laimbeer or Patrick Ewing and hire Brian Shaw or Budenholzer as assistant coaches.  I still think Joe Durmars should go….!

• Apr 16, 20138:56 pm
    by wilmer sanders

hey just a guess but would you guys trade for danny granger???

• Apr 16, 201310:21 pm
      by Jay

Rodney Stuckey for Granger straight up? Absolutely.

• Apr 16, 201311:48 pm
      by T Casey

I’m not sure what his salary looks like, but if it’s reasonable, I’d be all for it. I’m not sure what we could give up that Indiana would want though.

• Apr 17, 20136:51 am
      by gmehl

Clutching at straws already are we guys??

• Apr 17, 20131:46 am
    by Moonchild

give me steve kerr as GM, Mike Brown and coach and draft Trey Burke…lets build from there, and spend the money right.  Fans need something to be excited about, I think this would be a good start.

• Apr 17, 20139:13 am
    by Brian Garcia

Frank should be given more of an opportunity. I agree with one of the writers. If the injury bug did not hit the Pistons so hard this year they would be a 8-6 seed. Which still isent very great but we would’nt be having this discussion would we? It is unfair to expect to Frank to cleanup the mess of 3 lousy ex coach’s, disgruntled veterans, a horrible free agent class that Dumars is finally getting off the books and more than HALF the team knowing they will be playing somewhere else next year! I like Frank, I think he’s patient, hes a leader. People have been on his case all year about the Drummond PT thing. Yes, I would have preferred 35+ MPG BUT IM A DESPERATE PISTONS FAN! Frank cares about DEVELOPMENT, their HAS to be some form of a plan! Now, I say 2 years, after 2 years of seeing how this last lottery pick turns out and who we sign with the next 2 years of free agency/trades & possible amnesty of Chuck V. Let’s see how the Frank/Dumars team can do with a legit owner who’s going to “spend” and 1 more chance. They have done it before! They can do it again!!! GO PISTONS!!!