Pistons roundtable: Lawrence Frank

The (somewhat) annual Pistons roundtable has returned. Each day this week, our panel of Pistons writers will answer a question about the Pistons – all in one place. Please add your answers in the comments.

Should the Pistons retain Lawrence Frank beyond this season?

Drew Sharp, Detroit Free Press

The primary reason I would retain Frank for another season is that I thought he showed the proper patience with Andre Drummond‘s development. He didn’t rush him too fast, and that’s vital with a 19-year-old big man. Also, the Pistons have to get away from the reputation that coaches can only last two years in this organization before they’re looking for work.

Mike Payne, Detroit Bad Boys

Frank’s retention largely depends on what Joe Dumars is allowed to do by Tom Gores this summer.  If Dumars signs the wrong players like he did in 2009 and 2011, having Frank around for another year won’t matter.  If the team makes smart investments in productive players, a coaching change may be wise.  If it’s the same old cast plus O.J. Mayo, I don’t really care whether Frank is coaching or not.

Phil Fattore, Pistons 101

Frank’s decision-making and player management should not go without scrutiny, but bad contracts have hindered the Pistons’ ability to move the rebuild along since Frank was signed two years ago. With nearly $30 million available in free agent spending this offseason, the Pistons will gain a clearer picture of Frank’s coaching ability with a revamped roster. Give Frank one more year.

Daniel Poarch, Life on Dumars

I think the Pistons could probably do worse than keeping Lawrence Frank around next year, but they could also do much better. Frank showed an odd aversion to giving appropriate minutes to Drummond and Jonas Jerebko, and there has to be a better fit out there right now. I hear Stan Van Gundy isn’t doing much these days.

Eric Stafford, Life on Dumars

I think it’s time for Frank’s stay in Detroit to end. At first, I tried to understand his thinking in only playing Drummond about 19 minutes per game, but seeing how well they’ve played since he’s returned, my position has changed. The Pistons aren’t going anywhere with Frank as their head coach, so might as well change sooner than later.

Thom Powell, Life on Dumars

Frank’s over-reliance on veterans despite Drummond developing way ahead of schedule was a hindrance to the team, especially with how abysmally Jason Maxiell playeds. Frank’s burial of Jonas Jerebko early on was equally wrongheaded, especially once Jonas worked his way back into the rotation. Dumars deserves equal blame, but it was time for Frank to go.

Natalie Sitto, Need4Sheed.com

It’s almost unfair to put all the blame on Frank at this point, but it’s clear that he didn’t do what he was supposed to do when he was hired. The man who was supposed to bring the D back to Detroit did nothing of the sort and his rotations were questionable, but that seems to have more to do with his personnel. He’s shown no real progress, so it’s time to move on from the Frank experiment.

Patrick Hayes, PistonPowered

Depends. If they’re going to spend the money required to hire a proven, successful coach, then absolutely part ways with Frank. If the plan is to replace him with another retread or in-over-his-head cheaper alternative, then I’d prefer they just retain Frank and have some semblance of stability for once. Frank certainly hasn’t done enough to justify his job, but Joe Dumars doesn’t exactly have a track record of hitting home runs with his last four coaching hires. So I’m not confident in Frank’s ability and I’m not confident in the organization’s ability to find a competent replacement. So I guess the answer to this question is, who cares?

J.M. Poulard, PistonPowered

Negative. If the season was in fact a failure, the blame invariably falls on the shoulders of the head coach. He’s a good coach that can instill good concepts to take advantage of opponents, but he’s not the right guy for Detroit.

Jameson Draper, PistonPowered

I’ve been back and forth about this one all season, but here’s the bottom line: If it weren’t for poorly-timed injuries and late acquisitions, I’m confident the Pistons would be a playoff team. Frank has made many questionable decisions this year, but all in all, has done a nice job of coaching the team.

Brady Fredericksen, PistonPowered

That’s a tough one. He’s probably going to be canned in favor of a coach with a history playing in the NBA (Nate McMillan?), but I don’t know if that’s fair. I always thought Frank’s deficiencies were due more so to being stuck with such an odd group of super young and/or defensively challenged talent. Phil Jackson isn’t coaching this team to the playoffs, either.

Dan Feldman, PistonPowered

Only if they’re committed to him through next season, which, based on my outside knowledge, they shouldn’t be willing to do. (I am willing to concede considerations beyond our view could keep Frank on the job.) Frank might not have done enough wrong to definitely deserve to be fired now, but considering his team’s histories of slow starts, Frank would be a decent bet to cross that threshold during the 2013-14 season and earn a mid-year firing. At that point, another season will get lost in a coaching mess. The other option – inserting a high level assistant/replacement on the bench – would also undermine Detroit’s coaching next season. The Pistons should fire Frank once this season ends and try again for a new coach who actually helps the team.

• Apr 16, 20135:08 pm
    by G

Drew Sharp drives me nuts.

• Apr 16, 20135:29 pm
    by Edgar

I haven’t watched enough games to really get a feel for what kind of an X’s and O’s coach Frank is. Do they have offensive sets/plays or do they just run basic, conservative stuff/iso plays? Is Frank any good at diagramming plays out of timeouts? Is Frank innovative in any ways either offensively or defensively? I think we know he wasn’t great at rotations and allocating minutes, but how is he in terms of X’s and O’s?

• Apr 16, 20136:09 pm
      by oats

I’m a layman, but I’ll do my best with this.

I’d say he’s kind of average with X’s and O’s. He likes some pick and roll action with Bynum/Drummond, but oddly didn’t have Calderon/Monroe do much of it. I know Drummond is a way better finisher, but Calderon ran the pick and roll so well that you’d think he’d run it more in Detroit. The team favored isos a bit more when Prince was here and is doing it again now that Stuckey is starting. With Calderon running things he had a bit more movement to free up Knight and Singler, but nothing all that creative. He also ran the offense through Monroe a decent amount, which was a good idea I guess. The team didn’t have great shooters so teams would collapse on Monroe and cause turnovers, so that move was a bit of a mixed bag. I thought his plays coming out of timeouts were similarly average stuff. He also had a thing about not calling plays after getting stops, so it’s a little tough to get a read on just how much of the offense he is controlling. I’m also not convinced his system was able to get the most out of Knight and Stuckey, although the vast majority of the blame for their play lies on their shoulders. Not really much to like about Frank’s offense, but he isn’t Michael Curry bad at running an offense.

As for defensively, Frank believes in the Thibodeau style hyper aggressive defense. The team hasn’t really ran it much though. He doesn’t feel like the perimeter guys, especially the young ones, are good at knowing when to pack the paint and when to get back on their guy. Still, you can see hints at it, but usually in a way that confirms that suspicion. The team really turns guys lose for wide open 3s a lot. This is a pretty miserable group of defensive players, so it’s hard to put the blame on his system. It could be in part that he isn’t teaching it well enough though, but that’s hard to verify. As things stand the best defender on the team is Drummond and then Knight. I guess Maxiell might be next by default. After that we’re talking about JJ who can’t guard the position he usually plays (PF), a rookie in Khris Middleton, and known bad defenders like Monroe, Stuckey, and Calderon. Just a terrible roster to judge the merits of the system. By all accounts this is supposed to be Frank’s strong point though, and he served as Boston’s defensive coordinator just before getting to Detroit.

I’d say he’s a little better than average overall at Xs and Os, but that’s based more on his time running the defense in Boston than what he’s done in Detroit.

• Apr 16, 20136:16 pm
        by Edgar

Good stuff, man. Thanks.

• Apr 16, 20137:03 pm
          by mshansky

It seems to me that the relevant questions regarding coach Frank are:
            1. Did the team improve during each of the last 2 seasons, as the season progressed?
            2. Has the team improved in the 2 years since Frank has been the head coach?
            3. Putting aside the discussion of x’s and o’s, what part, if any, did coach Frank play in the MANY games
                this year in which the team simply did not even try to compete?
            4. How many games in the last 2 seasons were there in which coach Frank was the determining factor in
                the win/lose outcome?
            5. Has coach Frank gotten the maximum from the players he was given?
           Whatever my personal opinion, i believe these are the issues which should determine the future of coach Frank with the Pistons.

• Apr 17, 20133:29 pm
            by Keith

I’ll throw my opinions in the ring:

1) No, I don’t think you can really say this given the facts. We started slow in both cases, and kind of ended on a higher note. Of course, our schedule turned at exactly the same time. Adjusting for opponents, I don’t think we were any better in the 2nd half of either season.
            2) I can’t really point to anything that would say that either. Team-wise, our offense is about 3 points better, but our defense is 2 points worse. Looking at the change in personnel, that’s almost exactly what you would expect replacing Ben Wallace with Andre Drummond. Has anyone on our team improved since Frank took over? Monroe has almost the same numbers, but was less efficient. Knight hasn’t improved at all. Stuckey has gotten worse. I’m not sure there’s anything you can point to that has notably improved from year one to year two under Frank.
            3) This I don’t think we can really quantify. I would say that it is a coach’s job to motivate, but players should also show some pride in their play. We are a very untalented team, and getting blown out happens to untalented teams. I don’t think I would make a claim either way. We aren’t good enough to say we should have been all that competitive every night, but it’s certainly disconcerting how often we just mailed it in.
            4) Again difficult to quantify. It’s easier to see the games Frank lost (with silly lineups and poor rotations) than the ones he won (a few extra points from an expectedly strong lineup that tilted the game).  I would say that I remember a lot more poor utilization of personnel than any particularly clever uses of lineups or rotations.
            5) That depends on just how good you think these players can be. He certainly didn’t get the most out of Drummond simply by measure of minutes played. It looked like he tried to expand Monroe and Knight’s roles at different times, but failed to implement it in most cases. The biggest issue to me is defense. I will admit athleticism can be a big factor, but you don’t need athleticism to be at least decent. Our defense improved the first year (and our offense plummeted), but then got worse again. A good defensive coach shouldn’t take 3+ years to implement his system and get his players to at least know where they are supposed to be. Many Pistons still look lost through screens and off-ball motion. We don’t guard the right parts of the floor well (threes, the rim). We aren’t aggressive or fundamentally sound. If the team isn’t getting any of that 2 years in, why would we expect change in the future?

• Apr 17, 20133:54 pm
            by oats

@Keith. On point 5. To be fair, this roster included 4 rookies, 3 of them were second round picks, and Corey Maggette. Maggette actually looked more clueless than the rookies, so I’m throwing him in there. Last year he really didn’t have any time to work on implementing his schemes due to the lockout, so the learning curve on Frank’s schemes might be thrown off a bit. While I agree you don’t need athleticism to implement a scheme, you do need smart players. Detroit’s biggest problem is mental mistakes. Maybe that falls on Frank, and I’d say it at least partially does, or maybe it has something to do with them having a lot of guys that aren’t smart defenders.

Before the Prince trade the team was actually pretty average defensively. Now they are awful defensively after moving a plus defender (or at least an average one) for yet another minus defender. I’d hazard a guess that the trade is part of why the defense looks so bad. It seems reasonable to think Frank could do more with better defenders. I’m not saying he could do enough to justify keeping him around since I think Frank should be fired, but I am saying it is reasonable to think increased talent and more smart defenders would have a significant impact on the defense even with Frank coaching. That’s why you expect change in the future, you expect the roster to change, or at a minimum to have fewer rookies on it and no Maggette.

• Apr 16, 20137:12 pm
    by frankie d

i’m trying to figure out where frank’s reputation as a good/great defensive coach comes from.
    certainly not from any evidence that can be pointed to.
    his time in boston?
    boston had a championship level defense before he came on board for a year, and they have maintained the same basic  level of defense since he left.  the evidence is pretty strong that boston’s defensive success has little to do with frank and more to do with rivers and the system thibedeau and rivers instituted in boston.
    and one of the more solid nba cliches is that good defensive coaches can take any player and turn him into at least a competent defender if they have the right system.  you see it every year in the nba, where guys who never played a lick of defense all of a sudden become good defenders because the coach lets it be known that they either play defense or they don’t play.
    george karl runs that type of ship in denver and even a guy like gallinari ends up playing good defense because he’s in a good system and karl demands that he play defense.  the idea that the pistons cannot play even competent defense because they don’t have the right players is contrary to what happens in the nba every year.
    even here in detroit, guys like james edwards and dantley and mark agguire had horrible defensive reps before they became pistons.  guess what?  daly laid down the law and all of a sudden, all of those guys became at least competent defenders.  none was all-league defensive, but they could maintain their role in the complex defensive rotations dick harter ran because that is what chuck daly demanded.
    of course, popovich does it routinely in SA, taking retreads and rejects and plugging them into his system, getting surprisingly solid defensive contributions from guys who’d previously had horrible reputations.
    so, no, the team doesn’t have great, individual defenders, but so what.  that shouldn’t prevent frank from putting a solid system in place and having a team that at least plays like it has an idea and a philosophy on the defensive end.  and unfortunately, both defensively and offensively, the team runs around most nights like it doesn’t have a clue.
    the only time, imho, the team has looked as though it consistently had an idea about what it wanted to do – defensively or offensively – was when calderone ran the offense. and that is more a reflection of calderone’s skill, rather than  frank’s coaching.
    if the team had developed some type of identity, some distinctive manner of playing, then frank might have an argument for staying on.  but after 2 years of coaching the team, the pistons are no closer to reflecting  a real vison, going in a real direction, as they were when kuester coached the team.  that should be unacceptable.

• Apr 16, 20137:51 pm
      by oats

First of all, I don’t think he’s a great defensive coach. I think he’s got a decent handle on how to run a defense, which is hardly the same thing. I just to make certain we are clear on this. I think Frank has a basic understanding of schemes and not necessarily running a defense or teaching it, I’m uncertain if he is able to do that particularly competently. I even agree Frank hasn’t done enough to stay on. That said, I’ll handle your points as best as I can.

For starters, Boston’s success defensively is most definitely not due to Frank. Thibodeau set it up and deserves most of the credit, as do the players in Boston. That said, Frank did competently run that system, which seems to suggest at least a solid handle on the Xs and Os.

That cliche about great defensive coaches is largely nonsense as far as I can tell. Take Karl. He can’t get even competent defense from Javale McGee and Kenneth Faried. Those guys are objectively bad defenders, and if they share the court the team defense just falls apart. That’s why they so rarely play together. They do have some quality defenders elsewhere to help hide that though. Iggy, Chandler, Koufos, and Brewer are all plus defenders. That’s a lot better than what Detroit can toss out.

Here’s what does work. Good coaches with a couple good help defenders can hide bad defenders. That happens all the time. The problem is, Detroit only has one actually good defender and he’s a rookie that sometimes makes mental mistakes. That’s not a knock on Drummond, he really is a quality defender despite that, but it needs to be kept in mind. Knight is the next best, but he is still pretty average. This isn’t San Antonio where Duncan and Bowen/Leonard can help cover most of the problems, and even San Antonio has had some defensive problems in recent years. San Antonio has also relied on a few more guys that are at least average, whether it be Finley or Jackson or Green or whoever. It’s not really a fair comparison.

• Apr 16, 20138:47 pm
        by RussellC

What Faried and McGee are bad defenders? What are you smoking. You know rebounding is part of defense and Faried is one of the best in the league. A lot of defense is effort and how many players give more effort than Faried. McGee is not exactly a poor defender. He previously tried too hard to make the Sports Center highlights but that has calmed down. He is actually a pretty decent last line of defense now. I have watched Denver quite a few times lately and he always seems to make a positive impact when he comes in.

• Apr 16, 20138:57 pm
          by oats

From Zach Lowe back in February. The guy being quoted in this article is George Karl:

First: Denver’s pick-and-roll defense is very shaky. JaVale McGee and Kenneth Faried are below-average defenders, which is why Karl has been hesitant at times to play them together; Denver is about plus-4.3 points per 100 possessions overall, but minus-4.2 so far when that pair shares the floor; the decline is drastic on both ends. “The numbers are telling the truth on those two,” he says. “It’s not a great defensive lineup. It’s not a good offensive lineup, either.” Kosta Koufos has been Denver’s steadiest big-man defender, and Karl says Koufos also has a better understanding of how to space the floor on offense.
          Faried and McGee are jumpy and unsteady on their feet, and they have trouble containing point guards on the pick-and-roll. Faried has a tendency to stand up straight, with his arms at his sides, and that makes it easy for point guards to hit the roll man on pocket passes

Ok, I get rebounding is part of defense, but Faried makes a lot of mistakes actually defending his man or giving help defense. McGee does too, although his is more about hunting for blocked shots instead of playing sound basketball. You are right that he’s toned that back a bit, and he has improved some. He also has a generally positive impact now, but that’s because Denver really needs shot blocking. He’s not actually a quality defender though. Karl effectively hides McGee’s weaknesses reasonably well, but part of that is being extremely careful with who he lines McGee up with.

• Apr 17, 20138:11 am
          by G

I feel like rebounding is its own thing, and defense is its own thing. Most of defense has to do with how you play the man you’re guarding and how that fits in with what everyone else on the court is doing. If a player is slow-footed in man-to-man or unaware of how the offense is moving around, he’s not a good defender. Greg Monroe is a perfect example of a good rebounder/bad defender.

• Apr 16, 20137:57 pm
      by Edgar

Agreed. Putting aside wins and losses, it seems like Frank hasn’t had much of a positive effect on the team. They didn’t get better defensively or offensively. You can’t really point to a player that improved from last year to this year. Stuckey got worse. Knight isn’t really developing. Basically the only good thing that has happened under Frank’s watch has been Drummond’s play. But, I’m not even sure how much credit to give him for that. Drummond is just good, it seems like.

So, if Frank isn’t a great defensive or offensive X’s and O’s guy, nor is he good at player development, what are his strengths? Everybody always mentions that he’s professional, super prepared and he works hard. Those are fine qualities, but they do a head coach make. Frank seems like the ideal lead assistant to me.

• Apr 16, 20138:13 pm
        by oats

I agree with that. I see Frank as solid assistant coach who is out of his depths as a head coach. He’s not a great Xs and Os guy, just a competent one. His in game adjustment leave a lot to be desired, and the wild changes he makes to his rotation is even worse. His player development skills are sub par. He is generally well liked, he is a hard worker, and he is a professional. Those positives just don’t out weight the negatives.

• Apr 16, 201311:59 pm
          by frankie d

i pretty much agree with that assessment.
          i do think he has a good grasp of the things he needs to know in order to coach – either as an assistant or head coach – but i think there is just a gap in his ability to teach others or in his ability to get them to perform as he wants them to perform.
          i also think, however, that good coaches have a system that they teach and that they can plug players into.  i think the trick is being flexible enough to know how to adapt your system in order to accomodate various players’ strengths and weaknesses.
          for instance, you mentioned faried and mcgee and karl earlier.  i think that example kind of shows what i believe to be true.
          karl has his system.  even though mcgee and faried might be substandard defenders, as individuals, they do perform competently in denver’s system….as long as you don’t play them together.  so karl is very good about making certain they don’t get on the floor at the same time.
          and denver therefore can take advantage of faried’s rebounding and frenetic energy  and mcgee’s shotblocking.  plugged into the right system, surrounded by the right teammates, they can be highly effective, doing what they do well.
          i think frank tends to insist on using his system, regardless of those kinds of considerations.  too often i’d be smh at the sight of some of the combinations he’d have on the floor.  it was almost as though he just didn’t care about the player’s true abilities and tendencies, but rather just thought that they would, someway, somehow, eventually just fit into the role he wanted them to play.
          the most obvious/glaring example of that was the way he used stuckey at the beginning of the year, on offense.  amazingly, the team’s offense was intentionally set up so that stuckey would get open 3 point shots.  if i’m the opponent, i’m loving that play design.  as a pistons’ fan, it was unbelievable.

• Apr 17, 201312:15 am
            by oats

That’s a fair point about Karl, and I think we are starting to come to a consensus. A good coach can get good defensive play from poor defenders if he mixes and matches his guys to some extent. What he can’t do is take a lineup with 4 minus defenders and make a good defensive team out of them. Unfortunately, Detroit has one plus defender in Drummond, one average defender in Knight, and everyone else is a minus defender. That means they often have 4 minus defenders on the court all at the same time. That’s a problem Frank just can’t fix, and I don’t think anyone could. That’s why I think it’s fair to point at the roster and say Frank doesn’t get all the blame for the defense. He does get some though because he doesn’t seem to have maximized the potential with the roster.

Your assessment on Frank is still pretty spot on. He doesn’t really tailor his system to his players well. He kind of just dumbed it down a bit instead. That really doesn’t work, and it left the players with contradictory ideas on how they should play. It isn’t a good look. And Frank really doesn’t seem to do a good job mixing and matching players to try to make them play as well as possible. The best example I can think of was in that last game. In the second he trotted out a lineup of Bynum, English, Middleton, Jerebko, and CV. I laughed and made a comment that Frank finally figured out the whole tanking thing. Turns out that wasn’t the goal because the rest of his decisions seemed to be an attempt to win, so that leaves me baffled on how he thought that lineup was supposed to work. Of course that lineup couldn’t buy a stop and gave up a run, they are awful defenders that don’t make any sense as a unit. Frank seems bad at getting his guys on the same page, and he is bad at finding optimal rotations. That’s where the criticism of him is justified.

• Apr 16, 201310:09 pm
    by domnick

i think we should not stick with frank next season… with several coaches out there to help our team as contenders… we don’t need to stick with frank…

the good thing about L.Frank is our team has been more committed than their previous coach – Kuester… it is visible that Frank has done a better job than Kuester or Curry… and Frank is no nonsense… we almost had a chance to become the 8th seed… until we lose more games… unable to reach .500 and yeah injuries, personnal problems… bad luck started..

the bad thing about Frank is slow starts… if we want to become contenders then we need to show consistency… our team hasn’t done that… we won 4-straight or 5 but we also lose the next 3-4 games or worse 8 games… we can’t afford to do that if we are seriously going to the playoffs…

overall, our team is in good position financially, we should consider every move that will make our team better… with alot of cap space.. we should first focus on signing players before hiring our next coach… my ideal coach will be a guy who embraces Fast-Paced game… as our team is young and more athletic right now… we need to play faster…. defense is also a priority.. but we need to score at will… we can’t contend if we are not scoring better too… on the other hand defense needs to be better and we have to stay committed.

• Apr 17, 20136:14 am
    by Dacata

Frank is gone.  I put my money on Stan Van Gundy and Nate McMillan.  Players don’t respect Frank and the 0-10 starts to the season two years running is unacceptable.

• Apr 17, 20139:03 am
      by jerrific

Where did you get that notion from?  There have been zero respect problems since frank was hired. In fact the players all talk positively about him and seem to genuinely like him.

• Apr 17, 20138:55 am
    by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

It’s best we fire frank immediately after the season so he can hurry and take the head coaching position for the Rutgers…let him be their problem

• Apr 17, 20138:58 am
    by Vic

No. The slow starts, the mismanaged players, the win giveaways, the win streaks only when it doesn’t matter. The loss streaks when it does matter.

Laimbeer or SVG. You’ve got potentially 2 great BIgS, time to lock into a championship run in the next few years and get the coach that can take you there. Laimbeer is a proven winner in the nBA and the WNBA. He competed with other coaches and won it all. He competedwith other players and won it all.Period.

SvG at least knows how to build an offense around a dominant paint presence and get to the Finals.

Frank is known for losing streaks.

• Apr 17, 20139:12 am
    by Brian Garcia

Frank should be given more of an opportunity. I agree with one of the writers. If the injury bug did not hit the Pistons so hard this year they would be a 8-6 seed. Which still isent very great but we would’nt be having this discussion would we? It is unfair to expect to Frank to cleanup the mess of 3 lousy ex coach’s, disgruntled veterans, a horrible free agent class that Dumars is finally getting off the books and more than HALF the team knowing they will be playing somewhere else next year! I like Frank, I think he’s patient, hes a leader. People have been on his case all year about the Drummond PT thing. Yes, I would have preferred 35+ MPG BUT IM A DESPERATE PISTONS FAN! Frank cares about DEVELOPMENT, their HAS to be some form of a plan! Now, I say 2 years, after 2 years of seeing how this last lottery pick turns out and who we sign with the next 2 years of free agency/trades & possible amnesty of Chuck V. Let’s see how the Frank/Dumars team can do with a legit owner who’s going to “spend” and 1 more chance. They have done it before! They can do it again!!! GO PISTONS!!!

• Apr 17, 20139:12 am
    by Tom Y.

Pretty sure Frank’s gone. And he should be, if the team wants to take a significant step forward, but this also requires they find a better replacement. SVG sounds like the best of available coaches.

• Apr 17, 201310:20 am
    by Nick S

It should depend on the Dumars situation, If he is fired (fingers crossed), it should be up to the new GM and Gores; If not, there is no way he should be fired and Dumars stays.  Dumars created this mess, after four years of bad moves, he has to be accountable!

• Apr 17, 201310:55 am
    by Brian

Lawrence Frank may be good in practice situations, or in teaching players concepts that will improve them in the long run, I really don’t know. The eye test tells me that he is terrible when it comes to making in game adjustments, and that he is routinely out-coached by his opponent. Putting aside his use of Andre Drummond, his player rotations have been questionable at best, and sometimes borderline bizarre. I am also amazed at the number of times the Pistons come out of a timeout and not only don’t score, but actually run a play that appears to have no chance for success.
    I hate that the coaching carousel with the Pistons now looks like it is on a two-year cycle, but that is what happens when you have three straight bad hires. Like many others, I am left wondering what is wrong with Bill Laimbeer that we are unwilling to give him a shot. He has a proven championship track record, both as a player and a coach, at the professional level. Do we really think he would do worse than Curry, Kuester or Frank. I would not suggest that he would ever equal Larry Brown (few have!), but it is not hard for me to imagine him matching the success of Rick Carlisle, who had two good years with the Pistons and more recently won a championship with the Mavericks.

• Apr 17, 201311:02 am
    by Huddy

How disappointing is it that Marcus Smart isn’t entering the draft?  I don’t want to draft him, but if we pick 8th he is one more guy that  another team picks sending someone we want into our lap.  Who that is at all useful will still be there at 8?  At 8 we were literally in the last possible place to get atleast someone that is in the discussion for being a good pick Noel, Smart, Mclemore, Burke, Oladipo, Shabazz, Porter, Bennett….and now zip.

• Apr 17, 201311:14 am
      by G

At the moment the Pistons are sitting in the 7th spot. ESPN’s mock draft generator has them ending up with either Oladipo, Muhammad or Bennett in the 7th spot and Gary Harris if they land in the 8th spot. Trey Burke has jumped and is often projected in the 4-6 range. While it was conceivable that Porter or McLemore could fall to the Pistons at the 5th pick, now there’s no way they get either unless they win a top 3 pick

• Apr 17, 201311:23 am
        by Huddy

We are 8th because we are tied with Washington and we beat them every meeting this year.  The only way we move to 7 is if we lose and Washington wins tonight.  Harris is leaning towards staying at MSU…so pray for the lottery.

• Apr 17, 201311:35 am
          by Jacob

Oh man we  are in big trouble now. Hopefully we lose and somehow Washington wins.

• Apr 17, 201311:36 am
          by G

Check the mock lotto thing, it’s got Detroit picking ahead of Washington in every scenario.

• Apr 17, 201311:40 am
            by Jacob

If we both lose, doesn’t it got by head to head?

• Apr 17, 201311:45 am
            by Huddy

The mock thing varies because it is doing a different lottery every time, I just checked it and it had the pistons dropping to 9 one of the times 8 some times all the way up to 5.  As far as I know position in the lottery is based purely on record and ours is the same as Washington’s and we have won all the match ups with them so unless there is something I am unaware of we are higher than them as of now.  We could even tie records with Minnesota tonight, but we lost both of those match ups so I think we are safe there.

• Apr 17, 201311:47 am
            by G

Nope, coin flip

• Apr 17, 201311:50 am
            by G

In ESPN’s mock draft, it’s based on current standings. The only scenarios where Detroit picks 8th or 9th are when with better records win a top 3 pick and bump them down.

• Apr 17, 201311:58 am
            by Huddy

Ok that is slightly better because of the coin flip, but our current standing are the same as Washington so we are no more likely 7 than 8 because we are tied for 7 and it is based on a coin flip.  This makes the possibility to tie with Minnesota worse because the coin flip as well.  @G why would Washington have worse odds than us with the same record?

• Apr 17, 201312:12 pm
            by G

No idea. I’m assuming the mock draft is giving Detroit the coin flip for some reason, and that also resulted in an extra lotto combination.

• Apr 17, 20133:40 pm
            by Keith

I think Detroit is getting the coin flip just because they are first alphabetically. But there are no tiebreakers for lottery position. Both teams will have the same odds (slightly worse than 7th normally, slightly better than 8th), with one team getting the extra number and higher slot based on a coin flip. Here’s hoping we lose, the Wiz beat the Mavs, and the Clips rest their starters against Sac.

• Apr 17, 201311:38 am
    by Jacob

Nbadraft.net has oladipo sliding to 8th right now. That is assuming zeller and len are top 7.

• Apr 17, 20133:42 pm
      by Keith

ESPN has Shabazz jumping into the top 7. Assuming Oladipo and Len on the board, I think the Wiz take Len anyway so we can get Oladipo. Wiz don’t have much use for a SG after drafting Beal last year.

• Apr 17, 20136:47 pm
    by Dacata

Stan Van Gundy only because he can turn franchises are with young players. Coached a poor Miami team with a very young Wade into the playoffs when Pat Riley had given up on the team, took over Orlando and took them to the finals while coaching a young immature pouting Dwight Howard.