Pistons pick Victor Oladipo over Trey Burke in ESPN’s first mock draft

In Chad Ford’s first mock draft, the Pistons use the No. 5 pick on Victor Oladipo, even though Trey Burke and Shabazz Muhammad are on the board:

The Pistons’ biggest need is at small forward. Since shipping Tayshaun Prince off to Memphis, they haven’t really had anyone fill his spot. However, I think Oladipo is a better fit for Detroit. Rodney Stuckey has worn out his welcome in Detroit and Oladipo is the type of player that thrived with the Pistons when President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars was still suiting up. Olapido is an elite defender, an explosive athlete and a rapidly improving offensive player. They could settle on a player like Shabazz Muhammad here, but I think Oladipo is the best player on the board for them.

Without yet knowing when the Pistons will pick, I’d be happy to get Oladipo. I’d also be happy to get Burke. Other players on my happy-to-get list – Nerlens Noel, Otto Porter and Ben McLemore – are more likely to be gone unless the Pistons move up in the lottery, so the Pistons’ decision very well could come down to Oladipo or Burke. I go back and forth between those two, though I I’d prefer Burke at this exact moment.

Whom would you prefer for the Pistons, Oladipo or Burke?

• Apr 10, 201311:40 am
    by MrBlockedShot

I’d rather pick Oladipo over Burke right now. Burke might have been the MVP during the March Madness, but Oladipo fits better into NBA game. He’s a terrific athlete and defender, something we have been missing all season long. Actually we do need to upgrade three spots: PG, SG and SF. Any of them will be welcome for sure.
    My pick list would be:
    1)Mclemore
    2)Porter
    3)Oladipo
    4)Burke
    5)MCW
    Of couse Norel would be among those players, but since we do have a starting frontcourt for the years to come there’s no need to add another starting big man.

• Apr 10, 201311:52 am
      by LT

i disagree. i think n. noel would be a great pick for Detroit. there are 96 available minutes for the PF and Center positions each game. Monroe – 32 min, Drummond – 32 min, Noel – 32 min. sounds like Detroit should allow fewer than 15 paint points every night with that line up. Seems like the pistons would be a lock for top 5 in rebounding as a team too.

• Apr 10, 20131:21 pm
        by Jon

the problem isn’t that there aren’t enough minutes. it’s that there’s not enough money to pay all three and still field a competitive team. i still wouldn’t be totally against drafting him but down the road someone would have to be traded to stay under the cap and if i’m picking two out of three, its the two the pistons already have since drummond and noel do the same things and drummond has better upside and a body that already fits in the nba. if detroit has the chance to draft noel, they should consider trading the pick bc someone will want him

• Apr 10, 20131:45 pm
          by Desolation Row

Just so we’re clear, you’re against drafting a guy because he might be too good and therefore demand a higher salary at the end of his rookie deal? I’m not sure I agree with that logic. At all.

• Apr 10, 20131:49 pm

I think his logic is that it is better to pay three guys big money who will be on the court together than three guys who won’t.

• Apr 10, 20132:10 pm
            by Desolation Row

Ah, that does make sense. I’d still opt for the best available and trade him later for a better piece. If I could get a guy that could land me an all-star in a trade vs. a guy who is a solid starter in a position that fits better, I’ll take the former. Collect the high-value assets, worry about the fit later. Cap not a problem for a few years anyways.

• Apr 10, 20132:13 pm

Agreed. But I see Noel as basically an equal prospect to McLemore and Porter. So fit would be my tiebreaker.

• Apr 10, 201312:03 pm
      by sloppy joe

oladipo cant shoot

• Apr 10, 20131:30 pm

Oladipo has been shooting fantastically all year. I wouldn’t count on the holding up if he had to carry on offense. But I see no reason to believe he can’t provide an efficient 14-19 ppg with fantastic defense while stretching the floor and going to the rim when openings appear.

• Apr 10, 20131:55 pm
          by Cliff

he has a really small sample size of threes compared to mclemore

• Apr 10, 20132:12 pm

Sure. I’d much rather have McLemore. But he can shoot, at least if he doesn’t have to force it on most possessions.

• Apr 10, 20136:42 pm
            by PG

But the thing is Mclemore will probably be gone at 6. Oladipo would still be a great consolation prize.

• Apr 10, 201312:01 pm
    by G

Slight edge to Oladipo. Plus, I think he brings more immediate impact. I think Burke will be good, but it’ll take about 3-4 years before that happens.

• Apr 10, 201312:01 pm
    by Quick Darshan

Porter and Oladipo would be the first choice.  I’d take them both over McLemore.

• Apr 10, 201312:46 pm
      by Scott Free

I dont follow college ball closely enough to disagree, but this seems to go against the common wisdom in the draft analysis I’ve read.  Any reason why?

• Apr 10, 201312:06 pm
    by sloppy joe

Burke is a natural shooter, and can take over games and make clutch shots.  I have seen plenty of Oladipo this season.  He is an excellent defender but his offensive game leaves a lot to be desired.  I think burke is the best fit for the pistons if it comes down to him and victor.

• Apr 10, 201312:10 pm
    by danny

I dont think porter will be that good in the nba, I could be wrong. I think he is like tay and needs to be on a team that has very good pieces to be effective.  Depending on what pick we get I’d take noel, oladipo, smart, or mclemore.

• Apr 10, 20131:34 pm

One thing that doesn’t often get mentioned about Porter is how Georgetown never seems to make players look as good as they are when they hit the NBA. Their individual greatness can be lost in the system.

• Apr 10, 201312:18 pm
    by MrBlockedShot

Is it me or Porter is the new coming of Tay Prince? Left handed, skinny, same shooting motion, great defender…

• Apr 10, 20131:47 pm

As a senior, Prince was putting up worse numbers than Porter as a Sophomore. And Porter’s sophomore year was much better than Prince’s.

Porter (So):  16.2 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.8 spg, 0.9 bpg, 1.5 topg, 48/42/78, 0.45 FTA/FGA
      Prince (Sr):   17.5 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.1 spg, 1.3 bpg, 2.0 topg, 47/34/70, 0.27 FTA/FGA
      Prince (So):  13.3 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.8 apg, 0.8 spg, 1.3 bpg, 2.0 topg, 42/31/71, 0.29 FTA/FGA
      I can see the comparison, but Porter is kinda like a Tayshaun Prince who is a little bit better at everything, especially getting to the line, and that is huge.

• Apr 10, 20134:28 pm
        by oats

Porter is a better 3 point shooter than Tay, so the comparison falls apart a bit there too. Having 3 point range is huge for a guy like Porter, especially when it comes to fitting in with a team like Detroit.

• Apr 10, 20135:11 pm

True. But I felt like accentuating their biggest difference, and to me, that appeared to be getting to the line. Porter does it about 65% more than Prince. But his three and his passing are huge too.

• Apr 10, 20136:49 pm
      by PG

Yeah he looked like Price (style of play) but with better upside. Very good all around player with hi bball iq pretty good passer too. But sometimes he becomes too unselfish. He sometimes pass on open looks. Still a good prospect.

• Apr 10, 201312:20 pm
    by Ryank

It depends on who they plan to target in free agency/salary trades this off season.  I assume it’s 50/50 whether Calderon will be back next season.  It would be a good thing to have Burke train under him for a season or two.  One thing is for sure, I don’t want to see Burke as our starting PG next season.  I’ve had enough of the losing…I want to see progress in the win column.  If we start a rookie PG, we will spin our wheels again next season.

I’d consider Noel because he might be the best player available when we pick.  Patch up that knee and consider him a trade chip for the right deal.  Monroe needs to get deadly with the 15 footer if Noel would be part of the plan here long-term.  Being able to bring him along off the bench would be a positive thing…behind Monroe and Drummond.

Small forward…Singler is our guy right now.  He’s probably a nice reserve if he can figure out a niche.  I’d rather have this position filled with a veteran defender than another young guy who doesn’t know how to play at the NBA level.  Maybe Oladipo would come off the bench for 2-3 seasons behind a veteran SF.

Drafting young guys and expecting them to turn things around here won’t work.  Young, inexperienced, players usually don’t start making teams better for a several seasons.  Drafting a young player with the intension of playing him heavy minutes is a mistake…unless he’s a franchise players and I don’t think there are any of those in this draft.

• Apr 10, 201312:23 pm
    by Jeremy

Without knowing where the team will be picking, my current list of preferred guys goes as follows:
    1) Noel
    2) Mclemore
    3) Burke
    4) Oladipo
    5) Zeller
    I know we need wing help but I am also taking into consideration the cap space and potential of bringing in guys via free agency and that is why I have 2 bigs on my board. The draft isn’t going to answer all our needs and honestly I am a big fan of having a reserve of big men, regardless of whether they are all starting caliber or not. Noel’s potential to be a defensive game changer is huge and it’d be a dream scenario to have very little drop off when subbing someone in for Drummond. Zeller may not be that high on people’s boards but I can’t look past his performance thus far in his collegiate career (2011: 15.6 pts, 6.6 rbs, 1.2 blks; 2012: 16.5 pts, 8.6 rbs, 1.3 blks) in what has been a very good Big Ten conference the past few years. Same thing goes for Burke. Ideally, we will retain Calderon and that combined with a Burke draft pick will once again create log jam at guard. However, the guy was arguably the best player in college basketball this year and played in arguably the best conference in college basketball. Going back and comparing Burke’s numbers to the college stats of pg’s that people consider the best in the game (CP3, Irving, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, John Wall), dude put up similar (like within 1/10th of a whole number) if not better assist and scoring numbers than all of them.

• Apr 10, 20132:22 pm
      by CNA5

Noel and Drummond have the potential to be Wallace x2 all over again.  Their length and athleticism paired would be scary.  Detroit could easily become a dominant defensive team again.

Plus, it gives you flexibility to trade.  The rarest commodities in this league are big men and point guards.

As far as Oladipo or Burke, I’d go with Oladipo.  I’m still concerned with Burke’s ability to get off his shot on the next level.  There are so many PG’s 6’2 and taller- Rose, Westbrook, Williams, Nash, Kidd, Evans (if he plays point), Wall, Irving, etc..

• Apr 10, 20134:32 pm
      by oats

Zeller is thin, a poor defender, and a poor rebounder. He also has no range on his shot. I think on the next level he gets pushed around and his efficiency falls off, but even if he doesn’t he’s a poor man’s Brook Lopez. That isn’t a compliment.

• Apr 11, 20138:27 am
        by G

He reminds me more of Darko. That’s DEFINITELY not a compliment.

• Apr 10, 201312:30 pm
    by frankie d

burke.  he fits the team’s needs.  seldom that a team gets a shot to draft a local kid who fits so well and i hope the team doesn’t blow this one.
    any of the other guys would be fine, also.
    noel, or porter or mclemore or oladipo would be fine.
    i think that smart would be a big mistake and i think any team that drafts muhammad in the lottery will regret it.  both smart and muhammad will play in the league for a decade, but i don’t think you draft guys like them in the top 5.   you can find guys like smart and muhammad later in any draft.
    i would add bennett to my wish list, however.  saw a couple of his late season games and have to say i’m impressed.
    he’s a tweener, and he is kind of lazy defensively, but he is a physical stud and i think he has enough skill and athleticism to play the 3.  he has legit 3 point range, great hands, a good low post game and an anthony mason-type body.  it will be crucial that he get good coaching his first few years as you can see he gets very little at unlv, but he is a rare combo of size, hands, skill, shot and he seems to be unselfish.  i’d take a chance on him if burke or porter wasn’t there at the pistons’ spot.  in fact, i might take him over mclemore, who tends to float a little bit too much for my tastes.

• Apr 10, 201312:35 pm
    by piston moribund

Been watching Burke play all year.  Burke is way too slow for the NBA.  He is even slow of the college game and he is slower then Siva.  Couldnt get into the lane to save his life and when he did, forced up a bunch of awful shots.  Hero ball is the kind of player he is and he is not good enough to play hero.  He is also too short and a shot first point guard.  The only reason his stock has gone up is because UM went to0 the finals.  His play during the tourney was not that good save one clutch game against KU.  McGary had a much better overall tourney.
    Porter is a bad clone of Tay.  Even shoots like Tay 2.0.  Last thing we need are two uncoordinated Georgetown players getting killed on D and laying bricks from the outside.
    Oladipo has no offense.  he can defend like hell and rebound.  Maybe he can develope a shot but for now I would choose defense over offense.  He’s like Stuckey if you swap defense and offense.
    Dont know much about the other players but from what I saw in Mclemore, his one good game against UM, he passes the eye test as having a pretty complete game, seems to have a load of baggage with him though.
    Would definitely pick best available player no matter who is on the board.  Drafting for need in such a thin draft seems like the wrong approach.  Dont want to get Darko’d again.
    This Draft is awful.  should give it to the Bobcats and have them deal with it in exchange for their draft next year.  Dupe MJ again.

• Apr 10, 20131:28 pm
      by Jon

being slower than siva is not a problem. he’s part of the fastest backcourt in college

• Apr 10, 20131:37 pm
      by MIKEYDE248

Obviously you haven’t been watching Burke play all year if you think he’s a shoot first, hero ball player.  All the commentators all season have been comparing him to Magic Johnson for his basketball IQ and being effective even when he isn’t shooting well.

I think his major downside is his size.  In the NBA, he will be playing against much larger and stronger player, but the league seems to be playing more guards lately, so it might not be too bad of a thing.

• Apr 10, 20131:37 pm
      by frankie d

elite level athleticism is definitely not necessary to be an all star quality nba point guard.  the list is so long it isnt worth repeating, but guys like steve nash, jameer nelson, post-injury chris paul will never be mistaken for russell westbrook or jrue holliday.   burke can play and he’ll get even more room in the nba.  he’s going to make someone very happy that they draft him and i hope it is detroit.
      this draft is definitely not as deep as some of the more recent drafts – like the one with blair and budinger being picked in the mid-second round – but the pistons will get an elite player if they draft 5-7.
      they will probably get burke or oladipo or porter or bennett or -hopefully not – mclemore and all of those guys have the potential to be solid starter/borderline all star players.
      i just hope they resist any temptation to draft smart or muhammad.  i get the strong feeling that most of the “fans” who talk about drafting muhammad have never really watched him play.  they’ve just read the draft profiles and looked at his numbers.  have to admit i’ve never seen such a huge gap between someone’s hype, their stats and his actual impact on a game.  saw a bunch of ucla games – living in pac 12 country – and cannot recall a single game where he was the dominant or most impressive or important player on ucla.  that guy was usually kyle anderson, a guy who doesn’t fit detroit’s needs but i wouldn’t mind having him on my team.  saw a comparison to boris diaw and that is accurate.  a boris diaw with more grit and better rebounding.  i’ll take anderson over muhammad off that ucla team anyday.

• Apr 10, 201312:43 pm
    by Scott Free

I think either would be an upgrade, but I give the edge to Oladipo.  I don’t think either will convert Detroit into a major playoff player, but Oladipo would be an upgrade on defense and another dynamic dunker in the starting lineup would be fun to watch (if nothing else).

• Apr 10, 201312:45 pm
    by Domnick

burke!! we need a good point guard of the future.. so there you have it… TREY BURKE!

getting a wing guy can be picked up from Free agents next season… but a good pg is hard.. so this is our chance to make things right!

• Apr 10, 20131:00 pm
    by Brandon Knight

I personally won’t gamble on another Point Guard. You really don’t know what you are going to get from Burke!

- Give Knight one more chance at the PG position
    - Draft a shooting guard (Oladipo-McLemore) to play along Knight
    - Sign a veteran SF that can shoot the ball.
    - Sign some good bench players

I think that’s all we need for next season.

• Apr 10, 20131:18 pm
      by MrBigShot

Agreed.

• Apr 10, 20131:49 pm
        by Keith

I don’t want Knight playing PG ever again. It’s obvious he is a score-first player, but he’s terribly inefficient when trying to create his own offense. He’s not a good enough passer, and has very narrow vision on the court. Knight needs to remain as a scoring sparkplug – not PG of the future.

• Apr 10, 20138:39 pm
          by jerrific

Yup! His only future is as a defensive/3 point specialist. Not a bad skill set for a role player, but he’s just a role player.

• Apr 10, 20131:04 pm
    by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

It’s pretty clear who I hope we get so I won’t say it…

<<<<<<<<<

• Apr 10, 20131:16 pm
    by Kobina

The Pistons need to draft Shabazz Muhammad and start him at SG where his size energy and natural scoring ability can be a difference maker.  I would trade Rodney Stuckey for Tyreke Evans, to be our new starting Point Guard, Knight can be moved to the bench (he’s not starting calibre).

Oladipo, Burke, Potter, they project to be good players (Burke maybe even an All Star) but there are only 2 players in this draft with elite, wing scoring potential and They are Muhammad and Mclemore.  Those should be the only 2 players the Pistons should be concerning themselves with at this point.  The biggest help for this team will come from Free Agency and that is where Joe D needs to really be careful.  I don’t know who the big-name haul will be but I would love to get Derrick Williams for a good price.

• Apr 10, 20131:55 pm
      by Keith

I don’t think I could disagree more with everything you said. Shabazz is an inefficient scorer who is old. His upside is significantly limited by his age (this is a historical trend, Shabazz would have had to be a lot better in college to say he has tremendous upside still). Tyreke Evans is NOT a PG. He’s also just a bad fit for our team. He’s a middling passer, relatively inefficient, and a terrible defender. He’s a slightly better version of Rodney Stuckey, so we already know he wouldn’t help out team and Sacramento wouldn’t downgrade in talent in a trade.

Derrick Williams I wouldn’t mind for cheap, but he’s shown almost no value thus far in the NBA. A Williams trade would be all about upside, and would probably fail, which is why he would have to be cheap.

• Apr 10, 20132:36 pm

• Apr 10, 20134:07 pm
        by Reaction

Not going against what you said but:
        1. Bazz is the same age as Mclemore and is not “old”
        2. Bazz put up pretty good numbers (I thought they were fairly comparable to Mclemore at one point)
        3. UCLA is known for not effectively using their players to their full potential IE. Kevin Love

• Apr 11, 20138:16 am
        by KaBa

Wow, way to go calling a college player old. That’s new.

• Apr 11, 20138:32 am
        by G

He’s older than he’s supposed to be, which limits his upside. McLemore is way better, and a few months younger.

@ Kobina – you seem to have a thing for inefficient volume scorers who don’t play good defense & need the ball in their hands. Tyreke as a PG? That’s a disaster. Muhammad is in the same mold, and Derrick Williams? Why?

• Apr 11, 20134:46 am
      by Lorenzo

I think McLemore would widely be the choice of most if we had to take our pick of perimeter players. But the more interesting case is Shabazz, to an extent I don’t think people are giving the kid his due on the basketball court; he is a pure scorer, plain and simple, the kid can ball. Yes he has his kinks as a player but I think the bigger questions with him has been and still is off the court. He comes off as a bit immature and selfish, and the father-son relationship the pair purportedly sport comes off as eerily similar to that of Todd Marinovich and his dad. The LA Times article suggesting Muhammad is a year older than suggested adds more fuel to the off-court issues rather than his basketball skill.

For me it’s an issue, but teams draft talent, in the NFL Cam Newton was drafted 1st over all, in the NBA DeMarcus Cousins was drafted top 5. Bottom line professional teams aren’t afraid to swing for a home run; on talent alone Shabazz fits very well with the Pistons’ current squad and has a high ceiling…while Oladipo is more than likely going to be a glorified Tony Allen type guy. Who would I pick….? All in all I would prefer to have McLemore fall into my laps in the dream scenario.

• Apr 11, 20136:18 am
        by oats

I have huge problems with Shabazz on the court. His ability to score efficiently steadily dropped all year. His 3 point shot completely abandoned him the last third of the season. Outside of 3 point shooting his game is largely predicated on being stronger than his defenders, an advantage that will largely disappear on the next level. Plus, he gives his team nothing outside of scoring. His passing is really awful. I just don’t think he’s that good of a basketball player.

I have Muhammad rated as the 10th best prospect for Detroit, and I suspect I’m over rating him because the team is really desperate for perimeter players. That is only factoring in on court play and with the off court stuff not being factored in. Well, I’m including the fact that he’s 20, but I’m not including the fact that he’s the first American I can think of that just lied about his age and turned out to be older than was believed. I just don’t see a special talent with Muhammad. He’s the kind of guy you can get in the 20s in most every draft including this one. I don’t get why I should like Muhammad that much better than Allen Crabbe, and Crabbe might not even be a first round pick.

• Apr 11, 20138:33 am
          by G

…and his 3pt shooting is overrated.

• Apr 10, 20131:18 pm
    by Corey

Oladipo! Great defender and athlete- and can shoot. He has shot the 3 well this year. At least he’ll be a 3 and D guy his rookie year, and grow from there. I only want Burke if his combine measurements show him more athletic than people expect.

Noel would be great if we get the chance, but that would mean either Noel or Monroe would be trade bait down the road- can’t keep Monroe Drummond and Noel under the cap if they all pan out. What trade bait, though.

• Apr 10, 20131:20 pm
    by Tommy B

Definitely Oladipo.  Versatile.  Can guard multiple positions.  Improving offensive game.

• Apr 10, 20131:25 pm
    by jake

why not trade knight for a lotto pick and take both??? this might be our only chance to land our point guard of the future…

• Apr 10, 20132:05 pm

Because nobody is trading a pick that has Burke or Oladipo still available for Knight. They’d rather have either of those guys. Burke and Oladipo have at least as high of a floor, a higher ceiling at this point, and more years remaining on a rookie scale deal.

You’d be lucky to get Gary Harris for Knight.

• Apr 10, 20132:15 pm
        by jake

take back bad contracts then! move expirings like stuckey and CV! we have PLENTY of cap space that probably won’t be going to many free agents. c’mon, think outside the box a little…

• Apr 10, 20132:38 pm

easy to do this hypothetically. if you have an idea of how it could really be done, make a post more along the lines of “the pistons should trade for such and such bad contract and send out such and such assets to bring in another high pick from such and such team.”

• Apr 10, 20131:33 pm
    by Matt

This team needs another guard that can’t shoot like I need a bullet in the head. With Andre to protect the rim and the fact that Moose needs space to operate in post, draft Burke and move Knight over to SG and this team looks set to score a bunch more.

• Apr 10, 20134:38 pm
      by vic

I’m leaning this way too.

Love Oladipo, but the big guys need more spacing than they need a guard whose best strength is offensive rebounding and putbacks. Put a few pounds of muscle on Knight and he can be a good defensive SG as well…

I think Burke maximizes dynasty potential, with star quality players at the 1, 4, and 5.
      Calderon isn’t guaranteed.

Only players I’d take over Burke are Otto Porter and Ben Mclemore.
      Porter is going to be the real deal.

• Apr 10, 20132:11 pm

Tier 1: Noel, McLemore, Porter
    Tier 2: Bennett
    Tier 3: Oladipo, Burke

I’m leaning to McLemore over Porter, but either would be awesome. Noel would be my third pick because of team needs. Bennett could be a Gerald Wallace/Josh Smith type with a jumper. I’m really warming up on Burke. I now have him as a toss-up with Oladipo.

• Apr 10, 20132:16 pm
      by jake

hate to burst your bubble, but bennett has NO shot at being the defensive stalwarts that gerald wallace and josh smith are…

• Apr 10, 20132:39 pm

i dunno. he reminds me of them. excellent defensive player when he’s really going at it. but he takes a lot of plays off. that describes those two as well. his body and athleticism are comparable too.

• Apr 10, 20133:07 pm
          by frankie d

definitely see the josh smith/bennett comparison.
          and bodywise, he is very similar to gerald wallace – maybe even a bit bigger and stronger – but he is way more offensively gifted than wallace.  wallace is sort of a bricklayer who just keeps coming at you and wears you down.   he is best in transition.  and occassionally he’ll get hot from outside and burn you, but offensively, he is not very smooth.
          bennett is like josh smith with legit 3 point range.  he may be a bit shorter, but he has the same type of explosiveness.  he can score down low, or take a guy out to the 3 point line.  if you watch him play an entire game, his versatility is truly impressive.
          defensively, bennett sucks.  he is lazy and does not put any energy into his defense, but i chalk that up to coaching.  he seems like an unselfish player, but he’s just been allowed to play a certain way his entire career.   pair him with a good coach who knows how to get guys to play defense and i think you’d have a monster in bennett.  he is strong, with good lateral movement, and very long arms.   the only reason he can’t play d is because no one has demanded that he play d.
          worst case scenario would be a thicker charlie villanueva with better rebounding and more heart.  best case scenario would be a josh smith-type with legit 3 point range and the ability to play the 3.
          he hit 38% on his 3′s this year, which is not bad for a big guy and his stroke looks smooth.  he just needs to learn when to shoot it, and he’ll be ok.
          have to say i’d ignored him for a long time thinking that he was only a prospect at the big spot, but after watching him a couple of games, it looks like he might have a legit shot at playing the 3.  and if he can play the 3, he would work out well in detroit.
          imagine, a floor spacing 3 with enough strength and power to keep lebron out of the paint.

• Apr 10, 20133:17 pm
            by frankie d

by the way, just checked the measurements on josh smith and bennett.
            smith has about an inch in height on bennett, but bennett has an inch in reach on smith.  7’1″ vs 7′.  both are outstanding, obviously.
            in fact, i’d bet that if you put ben wallace and bennett next to each other, they’d be almost identical interms of size, bulk and length.

• Apr 10, 20134:12 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

why are so many people in love with Porter?  what is the game or games you guys saw that makes you such a believer in him?

• Apr 10, 20134:37 pm

It wasn’t a big game. It was his consistent, excellent play. What makes you like Shabazz?

• Apr 10, 20134:42 pm
        by vic

Porter just produces points, rebounds, assists more than turnovers, steals, and blocks consistently better than any other player in the nation. He doesn’t waste a lot of shots either.

His only weakness is his defensive stance, which Arnie can handle.

• Apr 10, 20134:45 pm
        by oats

If you want his highlight games I can give them to you. A 19 point, 9 rebound game against a Notre Dame team ranked 24 at the time. He followed that up with a bad shooting night, but still had a 17 and 12 against Louisville. He put up a 21 and 7 against Marquette. He also thumped Syracuse with a 33 and 8. Heck, even that awful tournament loss he finished with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Don’t get me wrong, his shooting makes that in to an awful game over all. Still, even in his bad games he tends to find something to do to be useful.

Those games aren’t why I’m a believer though. I’m a believer because of how he played over all. He literally does everything well. He scored 16.2 points a game with great shooting numbers, also had 7.5 rebounds and 2.7 assists, and was the best defender on a quality defensive team. He did all of this despite how slow paced Georgetown plays. The cumulative result of all that is that he is just a really good player.

• Apr 10, 20134:52 pm

He basically looks like an even better Iggy. And one who has a decent shot from deep. Excellent player and perfect fit for the Pistons.

McLemore could be a Steph Curry type player though.

• Apr 10, 20137:11 pm
            by oats

The Iggy comparison is a little flawed because Iggy is just a better athlete. That lesser athleticism is not necessarily a problem for Porter since he has that kind of an impact on the game. It also suggests he will have a longer shelf life than Iggy because his game is less predicated on athleticism. I think I like Paul George as the comparison for Porter better though.

I don’t see McLemore passing like Curry, but he projects as a better defender. I think McLemore is a bit more of a hit or miss guy than Porter. He could be Afflalo, or he could be a slightly lesser version of Ray Allen. The difference between those two projections is massive.

• Apr 10, 201310:29 pm

Although, his D should be better than Allen’s. But yeah, Curry was a bad comparison.

As for Porter, he’s always appeared to have pretty elite athleticism to me.

• Apr 10, 201311:45 pm
            by oats

There are tons of scouts that say the same thing, that Porter isn’t a great athlete. He has good top speed, but his lateral quickness isn’t that great and he needs to get stronger. I feel pretty comfortable with the stance that Iguodala is the better athlete. My comparison of Paul George should be all the proof you need that I still think Porter is athletic since George is definitely a good athlete. I just don’t see Porter as the same kind of athlete Iggy is. Iggy is just more explosive.

• Apr 10, 20134:46 pm

But if you want one game, how about his 33 point, 8 board, 5 steal beauty against an insanely stingy Syracuse D that only allowed G’town a total of 57 points. But that was still more than enough for the win.

• Apr 10, 20134:48 pm

His St. John’s game was also beastly. 19, 14, and 2 with 3 steals, 2 blocks, and 12 FT attempts. And that was him on an off shooting night.

• Apr 10, 20132:18 pm
    by Keith

I would pick Oladipo. I don’t think it makes a whole lot of sense to say he can’t shoot when he hit 59% from the field and 44% from three. If that’s a guy that can’t shoot, everyone in college must suck. Now, I understand that his number were in smaller samples than others, but that’s not a death sentence. Oladipo hits open shots, wherever he gets them. That’s all I need out of a SG, especially one that projects to be a defensive ace like Oladipo. Isn’t that what we’ve been missing since Stuckey and Knight took over: a true off-ball guard that puts himself in position to finish plays, rather than demanding the ball and doing nothing with it? I love Oladipo’s tenacity and courage (just as I love that in Burke), but I like his physical tools so much more.

I expect early on Oladipo will look a lot like Thabo Sefolosha (OKC) or Danny Green (San Antonio). He’ll defend the opponent’s best wing, cut his teeth as a primary defender, but also knock down open shots. Because he’s a primary defender, and a rookie, he’ll probably see a lot of open shots off passes from his teammates (especially Monroe). If he can hit an above average percentage of those outside shots (~38%), it would be a huge boon to the offense.

Burke strikes me as a good player, but not an ideal fit. He’s a shoot first PG. That’s not a bad thing in itself, but he seems to be getting overrated as a scorer. Outside of the championship game, he didn’t have a strong tournament. He couldn’t hit from outside, and really wasn’t hitting many shots anywhere. Props for showing up big in the championship game, but he also had 4 turns to 3 assists that game. Overall, he has trouble finishing at the rim (size) and his jumper is pretty streaky. Also, he doesn’t look great in the pick and roll, settling for his own shot too often instead of the roll man (this is pretty important considering Drummond). If you asked me if I would trade Knight for him, I would say yes. Knight is not a PG at all, while Burke will at least be a solid player at the point. But Burke just isn’t as physically talented as Oladipo, and I don’t think he’s truly elite in any one area on the court to put him ahead.

• Apr 10, 20132:24 pm
      by jake

terrible analysis of burke. he’s a true floor general, a deadeye shooter both off the bounce and spotting up which is extremely important in the league, and he has a sick handle. he CAN run the p&r and is a very good decision maker as evident in his AST/TO ratio.

the only thing he lacks is size, but something tells me teams are going to start overlooking that.

• Apr 10, 20132:55 pm
        by Keith

1) He’s not a deadeye shooter. 38% from 3 isn’t even elite in the NBA, much less college (with a shorter line). He’s a solid shooter, but he is inconsistent. He struggles to get his shot off against bigger athletes, and often takes unnecessary shots that he isn’t good at (one example, the quick long two point miss at the end of the championship game – after he had managed to draw fouls when going to the basket).

2) The PnR and Ast/TO do not inherently say anything about the other. Burke’s turnovers are low in good part because he’ll shoot rather than make a tight pass. In the PnR, there are often tight windows for passes that will work, and Burke often will ignore the roll man and take a mid-range jumper (which isn’t a good shot). That’s not to say he can’t pass – he can. But, his assists come much more on setting up jumpers than setting up shots around the basket. This is non-ideal for our team because we have below-average shooting outside, and great finishers inside.

3) Size is not the only thing he lacks. He does not have great footspeed or side-to-side agility. He’s a great ballhandler, which makes up for a lot of that on offense, but he simply isn’t going to get to all the same places on the floor in the NBA. Also, as I’ve pointed out, his tendency to shoot in lieu of some (not all) NBA passes makes him appear to have limited court-vision. I can’t tell whether that’s a real limit or not, but it would be silly to pretend it isn’t a question mark at least.

• Apr 10, 20133:04 pm
      by Nick

@Keith Now that’s the truth wit some cheese on it. I love your analysis of Oladipo. I like Burke but im not in love with him as a pick for the Pistons.

• Apr 10, 20133:46 pm
      by frankie d

i think what most people mean when they say that oladipo can’t shoot is that he’s not a natural shooter with a clean, smooth stroke.  you can see that he’s kind of made himself into a good, spot-up shooter with lots of practice.
      don’t know that it matters as long as he knocks them down, but i think that is what lots of fans see with him and they wonder if he’ll get the same kind of looks in the pros.

• Apr 10, 20134:54 pm
      by oats

Burke’s pick and roll ability is definitely under developed, but I think that’s largely due to the fact that McGary was buried most of the year and Morgan really sucks at it. With Morgan setting the picks it made sense for him to err on the side of shooting too often. The question is if he can unlearn that bad habit or if that’s just part of who he is now.

• Apr 10, 20132:27 pm
    by Greg

Oladipo all day !!! Let Calderon walk, move Knight back to Point guard and start Oladipo next to him at SG. Taht would leave the Pistons with a tremendous defensive backcourt. The only player I would take over Oladipo is McLemore. In Free Agency Joe D has to go after young 2nd tier players who have potential to grow instead of overpaying for O.J. Mayo or Andre Iduodala. I would love the Pistons to pursue:
    - Jeff Teague (6 Mio/Year)
    - Gerald Henderson (4 Mio/ Year)
    - Corey Brewer (4 Mio / Year)
    - Jerryd Bayless (4 Mio /Year)
    - JJ. Redick (5 Mio / Year)

Of course we can´t get all of them and getting Teague will be hard without overpaying since Atlanta can match any offer, but this would but Detroit in the position to bring Knight as the 6th Man what I think will be his role in this league if he can´t get his turnovers down at PG.

Other players who woul be nice are J.R. Smith, Tyreke Evans and JJ.Hickson. J.R. and Hickson will probably get payed from someone so getting them for a reasonable price is not likely. Tyreke would probably require a trade for Stuckey and I don´t think SAC wants him.

• Apr 10, 20133:06 pm
      by RobG

I kind of have to disagree with you unless they only sign one of these guys.  You can’t win signing second tier guys to mid-level contracts.  It has been proven.  This team needs to put up money for all-stars or take back other team’s bad contracts for draft picks with their money.  They can’t toe the line.

Now, if Dumars thinks a guy like Corey Brewer is a great value at 4 million a year, then fine, but don’t waste all of your salary cap space on mediocrity.

It is sort of why I would really like to see the team get Ben McLemore.  I think he has the highest ceiling of the swing guys and would fit well with our current mix.  Honestly, looking at the potential draft picks for next year and knowing we have to get a top-8 to keep our pick, I would wait to add any free agent making more than a couple million and load up on as many picks as I can with the cap space and make next summer the go all in year.

• Apr 10, 20133:22 pm
        by Keith

I like second tier players to fill role-playing needs of the roster (we really need more shooters), but you’re right that they shouldn’t be the core of your team. Granted, I think Monroe-Drummond are the core here. Maybe someone in this draft could make up our own version of a Big 3, but even elite teams need strong role-players on reasonable contracts.

I know trades are unlikely, but I would love to steal Jared Dudley from Phoenix. He’s big, he defends decently, and he’s surprisingly effective on offense. He’s a good shooter and still draws fouls at a good clip. Not a star by any means, but quite serviceable at the 3 as a 4th/5th option.

• Apr 10, 20133:22 pm

The problem is there won’t be so much cap space next year with Monroe getting a big pay bump. Unless the Pistons are getting rid of him. And it would be a colossal failure if the Pistons were in the top 8 of the draft again next year. So perhaps structure deals in such a way as to be able to offer one more big contract next offseason, but don’t put all your eggs in that basket.

• Apr 10, 201310:08 pm
          by Keith

That’s not actually true, about the cap space next year. Because Stuckey and Villanueva’s contract end next year, we have almost no sizable contracts on the books in 2014. We would have no trouble extending Monroe and still being flush with cap. I still like the idea of frontloading contracts so they don’t interfere with Drummond/this year’s pick down the road, but in the short term we will have an almost completely clear slate financially after next season.

• Apr 10, 201310:35 pm

If there are any brains in the Detroit front office, Villanueva comes off the books this offseason.

Stuckey coming off the books frees up $8.5M. Monroe’s cap hold will be $6.1M higher than his salary the previous season. Apart from that, Slava and second rounders might come off the books or might get bug pay bumps. Other guys will get annual raises.

In other words, there will be virtually no new cap space (unless Dumars is an idiot and keeps Charlie for another year).

• Apr 10, 20133:12 pm

All good prices for limited players. And I’d be fine with Joe offering any of those contracts. Just not in that form. He has cap space. he gave up a first rounder to get it. He better use it. So if there are no desirable big ticket guys available, offer big signing bonuses and then make the annual pay rate about half of what you specified.

• Apr 10, 20133:30 pm
        by Greg

There won´t be big ticket guys available. No way Chris Paul leaves L.A. for Detroit. I´d rather pay 4 Mio to one of those guys than 10 Mio for OJ Mayo thats what I am saying. If Joe D saves the Money for next year with a much better free agency pool then so be it, but then the charlotte trade would make no sense, so I think Joe will spend his money this year. With Charlie V and Stuckey also gone next year we will have a little cap space there too. Not enough to sign Leron or Carmelo but they won´t come to Detroit anyway at least if the Pistons should somehow get into the second round of the playoffs next year. McLemore would probably need us to sneak into the Top 3. Orlando seems to like Smart and Charlotte probably will take Noel but other than those two probably all others have McLemore on top of their Draft Board. To have a chance to get him at 5 Benett is a nearly must to go before we pick.

• Apr 10, 20134:05 pm

There is no excuse for Charlie to not be off the books this summer. Stuckey’s expiring deal mostly cancels out with Monroe’s raise. There is only one decent way to have cap space for next summer (barring a big trade). That is to sign guys this offseason with a big signing bonus and a small annual rate (like Nick Collison’s extension, but perhaps even more so).

• Apr 10, 20133:22 pm
    by danny

i keep hearing victor can shoot and i look at his stats and he shots almost 40 from deep and takes two shots a game.  Yes his shot needs a lot of work and he couldnt shoot before but look at what one summer did for him.  now you want to ride him off after that improvement?  you guys must be crazy.

• Apr 10, 20135:00 pm
      by oats

Players often shoot way better in college than the pros. Chris Paul would be a pretty darn good example of a guy who was a good shooter in college and pretty mediocre on the next level. Indiana also has Hulls shooting the same percentage but on twice as many shots, and Watford shoots a higher percentage on roughly twice as many shots. It seems likely that Oladipo is taking advantage of defenses keying on better shooters, a very limited number of shot attempts, and the shorter college line to inflate his numbers. I wouldn’t say he can’t shoot, but I do expect him in the 35-37% range as opposed to the 40% or higher range.

• Apr 10, 20135:24 pm
        by danny

HAHA CP pretty medicor shooter? Now you can just stop typing you dont know what you are talking about.  yes the college triple is shorter but the fact that he has upped his shot attempts from there to two a game and is making 40 percent.  I’d say respect his jump shot.  Yes he is getting open shots that still doesn’t take away from the fact that he is making shots.

• Apr 10, 20135:45 pm
          by oats

Chris Pual is a 35.7% 3 point shooter on his career, which pretty much defines mediocre. He’s had a couple good years, but this year he’s down to a pretty bad 33.2%. Yeah, he’s mediocre. Paul also shot 46.5% and 47.4% from 3 in college, which is why I’m using him as an example of college numbers being inflated. They clearly were inflated for Paul.

As for upping his shots, Oladipo still took less than 70 attempts. That isn’t much, and it’s easy for that number to be wildly off from what you’d expect. He clearly got better at it, but his shooting numbers are hardly reliable. Everyone on Indiana was knocking down threes this year, and I suspect it has a lot to do with college defenses not being good against that kind of inside out game they had with Zeller down low and shooters all around him. Oladipo is further helped by often being only the 3rd best shooter on the court most of the time, so he definitely wasn’t the focus defensively. If you want to know why people say Oladipo can’t shoot, it’s at least in part that they don’t trust his college numbers to hold up.

• Apr 10, 20135:49 pm
          by oats

By the way, I thought it was obvious I was talking about Paul being mediocre on 3s. Everything in your post was about 3 point shooting, and I was only talking about that too. Paul is a great shooter from the field, but mediocre on 3 point attempts. Maybe I should have specified that Paul is a mediocre 3 point shooter.

• Apr 10, 20133:55 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

When I hear people say Shabazz is OLD! I find it funny …he is 2O and 1ill be 21 by the end of the season ….Saying he is an ineffient is another false statement …

Anyway, I’d be cool with Oladipo , Porter, Bennett , or Shabazz …

• Apr 10, 20134:26 pm

He’s not old, but he’s not young for a draft prospect either. He is about the same age as Oladipo and played much less well this past season.

Also, he’s not inefficient. But he’s not particularly efficient either.

That’s pretty much the book on Muhammad. He’s not a bad prospect in any way, but there’s nothing particularly great about him.

In the first half of the lottery, you don’t want to be picking up decent prospects without any glaring flaws or any great strengths. You want someone who can be special, not someone who can be Corey Brewer, or maybe, possibly Rudy Gay.

• Apr 12, 201312:05 am
        by KaBa

To bad they can’t draft an 16 year old. He would be probably of the right kind of age???

• Apr 12, 201312:43 am
          by oats

Is the 16 year old playing well in college? If so then hell yes I want to draft that guy. You seem to be missing the point. Muhammad’s play isn’t special and he is older than some other prospects. As such, he is closer to his physical peak than other prospects, and that needs to be taken in to account. If Muhammad was a better basketball player no one would care about his age. There isn’t a lot of talk about Oladipo’s age for example, and that’s because Oladipo is a better basketball player than Muhammad. Given his age Muhammad is not good enough to be a really high pick.

• Apr 10, 20134:36 pm

In summary, what makes Shabazz any better than say, Doug McDermott?

• Apr 10, 20135:04 pm
      by oats

Muhammad started off the season really efficient. Then in the middle part of the season he put up average efficiency numbers. In the final third of the season he was really inefficient. He ended up as a roughly average efficiency guy. Given that his game seems predicated on being stronger than his competition, I’d expect that his numbers will drop. Heck, his high school reputation was that he couldn’t shoot the 3 well, and I think the fact that it largely abandoned is indicative of his actual skill level. I think with the longer NBA season will show that those first 10 games were largely an aberration and those last 22 were closer to the real Muhammad. In short, that will make him an inefficient pro.

• Apr 10, 20133:57 pm
    by Omzz

As someone who attends the University of Michigan and is a life-long Pistons fan, I love Burke and his game. He is a great leader and leaves it all on the floor. I believe he will have a good NBA career. That being said, I think the Pistons need to draft VICTOR OLADIPO. The guy is a straight stud. He plays lock-down defense and can score in multiple ways. Oladipo better fits the mold of what a Detroit Piston is. His work ethic is phenomenal and he could be a staple of the franchise for years to come.

• Apr 10, 20134:53 pm
    by Windy

Love Burke but Oladipo is my pick and has been for awhile I’m just glad he is being talked about as possibly being a Piston. When I look at his game I just say over and over “that guy is a Piston”…he is a defense first, hardworking, efficient player…he has a knack for rebounding as a guard and time an time again came up with big games and plays when the Hoosiers needed him…ask Michigan and Michigan State if you need a reminder…we’re not goin to get an allstar in this draft so I would rather get a guy that can possibly be and allstar at one area of the game and in Detroit that is defense! With elite athletism  and continued growth he could take a step in being a premier lockdown defender and have some big gamea for us with minimal demand for the basketball…

I have aquestion, where do you think Knight would be picked if he came out this year because he stayed in Kentucky? He is 20…6’3 give the guy some time guys…if you started Knight and Oladipo in the backcourt that could have some promise, knight can bring some outside shooting and defense and Oladipo can bring the defense and athletism to get some easy buckets..Im not hating on Burke but Knight has shown at the age of 18,19 that he can score in the NBA…Knight has had a rough year to say the least but here is still promise…can we get Deing late as well haha

• Apr 10, 20135:14 pm
      by oats

Honestly, I don’t know what he would be. I do know that he made virtually no improvements offensively since his rookie year though, and that seems like a warning sign. Maybe he lights it up in college. I think it’s more likely that he follows the Cody Zeller path. He makes some improvement, but everyone comments on him not improving quickly enough and instead start picking apart his game. Honestly, if I had to guess I’d say somewhere in the 10-20 range because he is a junior. He probably wouldn’t look that much better than Russ Smith, and Russ Smith might not be a first round pick. This would be followed by him getting in to the league and playing more or less like he is now. That would be followed by people saying you shouldn’t let a guy drop that far just because he’s a junior. He probably should be drafted about 8-10 in this draft though.

• Apr 10, 20135:09 pm
    by vic

This is my issue: I like Oladipo, but Knight is an SG who would have been a junior this year as well.

Why have two junior SGs on the same team? Knight can add some muscle and hustle just as much as Oladipo can. If anybody has the heart of a Piston, its Knight.

Oladipo’s biggest strength is offensive rebouning. When Cody Zeller is your center, your SG better be able to mix it up in the paint. When Drummond and Monroe are your bigs, your shooting guard’s job is to hit open threes after he stays out of the way.

Burke however, has a “talent and skill set” that screams next star pg.

You’ve got two potential top 10 bigs, and a 32 year old pg who might be gone.

You need somebody to complement those two top 10 bigs.

You go with Burke over Oladipo, if you have any sense of team-building. Knight has shown non-pg skills, great SG skills, so why duplicate that with Oladipo?

Porter is first, because he’s a star SF that will complete a 5 man roster that can compete IMMEDIATELY, probably a championship contender within 2 years.

Burke is 2nd, because as a long term pg, he makes the team relevant for 10 years, though it will take a little longer to contend for a championship.

• Apr 10, 20135:21 pm
      by oats

Oladipo clearly projects as a much better defender than Knight, and defense is clearly the best thing about Oladipo’s game. Knight also has not shown starting shooting guard skills, so I don’t get how he can knock you off of drafting a shooting guard that looks better than him. Right now Knight projects as a bench player, so I don’t get how he factors in to draft day decisions at all.

By the way, hitting open 3s is kind of what Oladipo does. He also only takes open 3s, which could be a good thing depending on how you look at it. If you want your shooting guard to stand out of the way and hit open 3s, Oladipo is definitely your man. That is exactly how he was used in Indiana.

• Apr 10, 20135:39 pm
    by Windy

Getting another young PG is not what thisposition team needs…resign Calderon and let him play with some high flyers like Oladipo and Dre plus maybe another athletic SF…Calderon can shoot well and is pass first which is what we need if we’re going forward with moose and Dre…you would like to team up a sharp shooting SF in our lineup but in free agency it really isn’t there…possibly adding a Korver off the bench might make sense to help our perimeter shooting…we need defense here in Detroit it has always been our recipe for success, joe failed last time by adding Gordon and CV…must use this money to add athletism and defence especially with the likes of Calderon and Moose in your lineup, Knight coming in off the bench to run the point with Oladipo could set us up well…

• Apr 10, 20136:11 pm
    by Coach_Ackley

I think I’d go with Burke.. Now I do like Victor but I really think Burke can be a star with a little coaching.. Victor is not has down a great shooter but is improving and the only knock on burke is hi height but he is a solid all-round player.. I’m not concerned about his height he plays well for being 6 feet tall or a little less.. Now CP3 is about the same size and he plays well at that size and so does Ty Lawson.. Now my top 2 are McLemore and Otto Porter but they WILL be gone by pick 5, 6, 7, which ever pick we get but Burke will be there and I believe he’s a player we just can’t pass on… Remember we passed on Kemba Walker and how’d that turn out….. Go Blue and Go Pistons…

• Apr 10, 20136:35 pm
    by oats

Burke is a solid shooter and an excellent passer. People seem to label Burke a shoot first point guard, but they miss the fact that college teams often need their point guards to be shooters. Michigan certainly needed him to look to score. Chris Paul averaged 6.6 assists in his sophomore year, the exact same number Burke averaged. It’s just not accurate to call Burke a shoot first point guard. He’s a point guard that scores, not a shoot first point guard. Those things are different. Still, he sometimes struggles to get good looks, and his style of play seems to suggest he might have injury problems. Other than Iverson I can’t come up with anyone his size that got bumped around that much and stayed healthy. Even Chris Paul absorbed the contact in a way that allowed him to not take so many nasty spills. I do worry about his pick and roll offense too. I think it might just be that he spent so much time with bad pick and roll men, but he looks to score too often in the pick and roll. I hope that is something he learns to stop doing, but it might just be who he is.

Oladipo on the other hand is a great athlete and defensive player. He also can knock down an open 3. That makes him a 3 and D guy that also runs a fast break well, but I really don’t know if he can be more than that. He’s going to be a good basketball player, but I don’t know if he is more than a Thabo Sefolosha type on the next level. I legitimately wonder if Oladipo will ever be more than a 12 point a game guy. That’s not great value for a top 6 pick.

I go back and forth on these two. I honestly don’t think I’d care which one of these two Detroit took. They are in the same tier, and I see all 3 perimeter spots as roughly equivalent needs. In the time I’ve been writing this paragraph I’ve actually flipped on them twice. If I absolutely had to choose, I think I take Oladipo. Detroit’s perimeter D was just putrid this year and I don’t want to see more of that. I probably won’t make up my mind until I hear reports on their post combine workouts. I’ll be paying attention to reports on Oladipo’s shooting and ball handling, as well as Burke’s ability to get good looks and how he runs the pick and role. I really hate putting stock in reports from those workouts, but their body of work just leaves them with grades that are pretty much identical. I just don’t have much separation between these guys, and that’s when those workouts start to mean something.

• Apr 10, 20137:37 pm
    by Corey

I want Oladipo, as I’ve said, but I will admit great curiosity to see how Burke measures out at the combine. If he’s a little longer and more athletic than people think, he could be really good. I know I’d rather have Burke than Shabazz. A SF who won’t rebound or pass in college is not someone I want to see in a pistons uniform.

• Apr 10, 20137:40 pm
    by Wolverines23

As a Michigan fan…if we pick 5, I’d still go with Oladipo, if he is gone or we pick 6 or 7 I’d go with Burke. Brandon Knight would have to play PG if we draft Oladipo, if we draft Burke then SG, it all depends on how Joe Dumars and the management/coaching staff want to rebuild and move forward.

I strongly believe Calderon will not be here next year. Even if he is though, imagine Trey Burke getting 2 years or so learning under Jose, coming off the bench, and then taking over or earning his starting job. Also, then we don’t have to resign WILL BYNUM! :D :D :D

• Apr 10, 20138:11 pm
      by oats

Your first paragraph seems to assume Knight is starting next year. If Calderon signs, or if the team gets Jarret Jack or Jeff Teague then Knight will be a back up and Oladipo won’t change his postion. Also, if we get Burke we might make a move on someone like JJ Redick or OJ Mayo so Knight might be a back up anyways. I just don’t see where Knight actually factors in to the decision making. Knight just hasn’t earned that kind of consideration.

• Apr 10, 20138:08 pm
    by FreeDreDrummond

I wouldn’t mind seeing Burke in a pistons uniform next season, especially if calderon walks, but that might be me being a delusional wolverines fan.  I’ve been trying to compare burke to a successful pg in the nba who has his average athletism and less than ideal size and it’s not easy.  I’ve seen him compared to Kemba Walker and even though they are the same size Kemba is much faster.  Ty Lawson has similar size, passing and shooting ability but again athletically I don’t think its close.  I love Burke Michigan pg and the best player in college basketball but as far as the NBA Oladipo is the smarter pick.

I think the reason that Shabazz is mentioned here so often is because if the Pistons pick 6 or 7 theres a decent chance that Olapido is not going to be there.  And while its pretty easy to pick apart his game based on this season, I don’t think playing for Howland’s UCLA team with their slow it down half court style of basketball allowed Shabazz to fully showcase his talent.  My point is if Detroit is picking 7 and they are staring at guys like Bennett, MCW, Zeller and Shabazz they have to consider it based on their need for a wing who can put the ball in the basket.

• Apr 10, 20138:19 pm
      by oats

How about Chris Paul after the knee injury? Burke is easily as athletic as a one legged Chris Paul. I also don’t think Kemba is that much faster than Burke really, they seem pretty darn similar to me. Lawson is much faster than Burke, but not so much with Kemba. I also think Burke’s wingspan advantage on Walker has to factor in too.

• Apr 10, 201310:02 pm
        by Keith

Comparing Burke to an injured Chris Paul is silly. Paul is a generational talent at PG, completely out of Burke’s league. Paul sees and manipulates the game better than any PG since Magic Johnson. He doesn’t need athleticism because he’s so elite in every other way. Burke wouldn’t even be a top 10 pick in a deeper draft, so let’s not get crazy with the player comparison. You take away most top PGs athletic advantage and they wouldn’t be nearly as good as Paul has been.

• Apr 10, 201311:51 pm
          by oats

I’m not comparing Burke the player to Paul the player. I’m comparing Burke the little athlete to injured Paul the little athlete. That’s so not the same thing, but your point is valid. I’m not trying to say Burke will be as good as Paul. I’m saying there is a player with a similar size and athletic abilities that was still productive. When you then apply Burke’s talent level to Paul’s he obviously won’t stack up that well, but Paul’s success means it is possible to get by with Burke’s size and athletic profile. I see Burke as a pretty average starter because he just isn’t the same player Paul is.

• Apr 10, 20138:53 pm
    by Mr. Ba.Basketball

I I think we should get Trey Burke . I rather have Trey Burke than Jose Calderon, because I think Trey Burke and Brandon Knight are too young guards that can learn from each other, an both of them know how to push the ball up the court an develop a play for the big mans like Greg Monroe or Andre Drummond . Also they can develop play for themselves , and both of them are capable of doing that . Unlike Jose Calderon he just the passer he’s not the who is capable of taking over at the end of the game like Trey Burke . Trey Burke is a guy who you can depend on to take over the game While scoring or assisting. That’s why I think Detroit should you with their pick on Trey Burke .

• Apr 11, 20132:46 pm
    by Kee

The Pistons can have plenty of $ this offseason. If I were Joe D, I would make some drastic changes to the 2013-14 Pistons. And I mean drastic. I want rookies, I want free agents, and I want an up-tempo offense with guys constantly on the run looking for fast breaks. Maxiell, Calderon, and Maggette are free agents, and we should part ways with them (Calderon will be too expensive for my liking; we need future). We’re on route to have the #5 pick in the upcoming draft. I would also try and trade for another top10 pick in the draft. Trading Greg Monroe (who doesn’t fit into up-tempo) & Rodney Stuckey should be able to pull in, say, the #6 overall pick. I’d also simply drop Jerebko, English, Middleton, Slava, and Charlie V (or send them to NBADL, or attempt trading them for better draft position). Willy Bynum is a free agent, and we should surely resign him (energy guy, gets the crowd going, has scoring bursts). So the returning players are Drummond, Knight, Bynum, Singler, that’s it. Our draft consists of the #5 & #6 pick, plus two 2nd round picks.
    #5 overall pick, the Detroit Pistons select Victor Oladipo, shooting guard out of Indiana.
    #6 overall pick, the Detroit Pistons select Trey Burke, point guard out of Michigan.
    2nd round selections- Adreian Payne (PF, Mich St), Deshaun Thomas (SF, Ohio St)
    So 8 guys are now on the roster (4 returning, 4 draft picks). And now we fish the free agent market for four guys with our large sum of $ and free cap space. If everything occurred which I outlined above, we should have a lot of $, roughly $38mil (cap is $60mil – $11mil (rookies) – $11mil (Bynum, Drummond, BK, Singler) = $38mil). I would do what I could to use that $ to acquire free agents Brandon Jennings ($10mil), Andre Iguodala ($14mil) , JJ Hickson ($5mil), and Paul Millsap ($9mil).
    Now we have a brilliant, budgeted team who likes to run, likes to fast-break, likes to dunk, can score, and will play fast opportunistic defense. The depth chart looks like this:
    PG- Brandon Jennings / Trey Burke / Will Bynum
    SG- Victor Oladipo / Brandon Knight
    SF- Andre Iguodala / Kyle Singler / Deshaun Thomas
    PF- Paul Millsap / Adreian Payne
    C- Andre Drummond / JJ Hickson
    I like that. I like that a lot. I know it’s complicated and will take a lot of phone calls and persuasion, but you really need to make up for your Charlie V/ Ben Gordon hopes, Joe D. We miss the glorious Bad Boys of the late 80s and the Rip/Chauncey/Big Ben squad of the 2000s. Bring Detroit (baaasketbaaaalll) back to life. I’m dying for a playoff run in the near future, and antics similar to what I’ve detailed above could certainly bring that joy to the hoop fans of Michigan.

• Apr 11, 20132:57 pm
      by oats

Monroe for the 6th pick is insanely dumb. Monroe for the 1st pick is dumb. This draft sucks way to hard to make that kind of a move. In fact, I dislike most everything else you said, but I want the Monroe for pick 6 being one of the worst ideas I’ve ever heard of to stand on it’s own. You want to give away a young big man who averages a 16 and 10 for the 6th pick in this absurdly weak class. Monroe was a steal at 7 in a much stronger draft. This idea is insanely awful.

• Apr 12, 20137:58 pm
        by Kee

I don’t find it dumb. If you think Monroe is all that, well then maybe we could trade him along with Stuckey and whatever else need-be for the #1 pick, and getting Nerlens Noel to replace Greg is a tremendous upgrade, especially in an offense that wants to run the floor, gets big, and finishes with power. The fact is, Greg can’t shoot for sh*t. You need a big man who has a shot nowadays to spread the floor, and so you can keep the defender on his toes for the threat of shooting or driving. The Pistons set so many pick and rolls where Greg receives the pass afterward and he’s stuck there on the top of the key, waiting to pass because he cannot shoot.
        If this happened (draft Noel over Burke), well then I wouldn’t waste time and money on getting Paul Millsap, rather go after someone such as JJ Reddick (pure shot, hustles), Nick Young (fast breaker, dunk, athletic), or Nate Robinson (huge spark off the bench). So now we’re looking at this:
        PG- Brandon Jennings / Nate Robinson / Will Bynum SG- Victor Oladipo / Brandon KnightSF- Andre Iguodala / Kyle Singler / Deshaun ThomasPF- Nerlens Noel / Adreian PayneC- Andre Drummond / JJ Hickson
        That is better than before. And Middleton & Jerekbo are both complete garbage. Look at others at their position in the league, neither of them make the top50 at their respective position. JJ is not a guy I want on any team of mine; he is just so, so bad, end of story. Jennings is an instant scorer, something Detroit hasn’t had in a while; he’ll get you 20 pts & 8 assists, so if we paid him close to $10mil, that’s okay.  Singler is a hustle player, plays solid D, has a pure stroke, and spreads the floor. Having someone who can spread the floor is very beneficial with up-tempo run & gun offense. He’d be like Battier is to Miami, always nailing those sideline 3′s. I like Monroe, but he isn’t a championship C to me. His game is limited to post play, and he isn’t even that good at it. He just gets so many touches because he plays for one of the crappiest teams in the league. Jose Calderon is good, I love his leadership and shot, but he isn’t a young and athletic point guard (clearly), he isn’t the future, and he really just doesn’t fit into the game plan here. Andre Iguodala is 29 yrs old and currently makes $14mil for Denver. I don’t think he’s worth that amount either, but if we have the money and the cap space, it’s either get him or you don’t.. so get him! His game is so damn complete, other than a pure jump shot.
        Lastly, I know that Drummond nor Noel have a shot either, but they’re freak athletes, which makes up for it. The guards and SF’s I have listed have enough offensive game to carry the squad in half-court situations, and Nerlens and Andre would only need to worry about pick and roll ‘oops & bruising on the glass.
        All in all, the money & cap space allow the Pistons to make similar moves which I have described, and you cannot deny that the depth chart Ive listed is much superior to the one we currently have, and is surely a competitive playoff team, given time to build some chemistry. If nothing else Detroit, please, please just get rid of Jerebko, Stuckey, Charlie V, Slava, Maxiell, and English. I wouldn’t be disappointed if Calderon, Monroe, and Middleton stayed, but Id also move them.

• Apr 11, 20133:17 pm
      by oats

Ok, now that I gave the Monroe thing it’s own post, on to the rest of this. Dropping JJ is harder to do than to say. His contract isn’t particularly good. Then again, if the goal is to play up tempo then JJ is the kind of guy you want. I know this year he has been pretty shaky, but speeding up the tempo makes sense for him. He’d probably play over Adreian Payne in a really fast offense.

The Jennings thing is weird. I think $10 million is over paying him because I don’t think he’s worth $10 million, but I also think he gets paid more than that. Jennings is so far from being a logical acquisition that I’m a little dumbfounded by it. I don’t get how you can advocate paying Jennings that much but think Jose will be too expensive. Jose will sign for less than that. It’s especially problematic since you want to you one of two top 6 picks on Trey Burke. That means one of Jennings or Burke will always be saddled to the bench. This is even further compounded by trading away Monroe to help make this happen instead of just drafting Oladipo here. Absolutely no part of this plan makes any sense.

Iggy looks to clearly be on the decline and I don’t want him for $14 million.

Millsap doesn’t really play that up tempo either, but I guess he could. I don’t have any reason to think he’d handle up tempo that much better than Monroe. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have a quality passing big man like Monroe just focus on outlet passes to start fast breaks than to dump him and get a player who isn’t that much faster than him? Still, I’m betting Millsap signs for about $12 million and not $9 million. Already this plan is starting to fall apart on a financial level, and not just in a “You’re trading Monroe for what now?” kind of way. Or in a “why lock up Jennings for $10 million and then use a top 6 pick on his backup?” kind of way.

Hickson is one of the worst defensive big men in the league. This deal is ok I guess, but I really wouldn’t be excited about this signing.

You’ve also advocated dumping the more athletic and cheaper Middleton but want to keep Singler. I don’t understand this line of thinking. If one of them should go, it should be Singler given what you are trying to do. Since both of them are really cheap and therefore assets I don’t actually advocate dumping either, but Middleton also seems to have the higher ceiling so I really wouldn’t be pushing him out the door.

I really don’t understand what the point of all this is. This plan seems really, really bad.

• Apr 12, 20139:32 pm
        by Kee

The money and cap space is right. The (my) roster is much better. And the Pistons can’t get much worse. Nothing to lose by creating the depth chart I have.

• Apr 12, 20139:07 am
      by G

Dude… keep your day job. Sounds like you’d be worse at handling a team than Ted Stepien.

• Apr 12, 201312:34 pm
    by sop

Marcus Smart is preferable to both of these players if he comes out.

• Apr 12, 20138:04 pm
    by Nick C

I firmly believe that Brandon Knight is more of a 2 guard, and not a true point guard. I believe the obvious choice is for a new PG, and Burke would be the best option.

• Apr 13, 20139:44 am
    by Eric

Pistons Plan:

Trade Brandon Knight to the Bulls for  Luol Deng.  Deng has (1) year left on his deal and the bulls will not resign him.  They get a cheap PG/SG who may or may not develop.

Draft Trey Burke PG – He makes other players better that is exactly what they Pistons need.  Him lobbing passes to Drummond would be fun to watch.  Prototypical PG

Sign OJ Mayo - Pistons needs shooters and  OJ Mayo fits the build and is a prototypical SG.

I just fixed the three positions of need in one offseason, how difficult was that.

Starting Five next year:

PG Burke SG Mayo SF Deng PF Monroe C Drummond
    Reserves: Billups (leadership off the bench-mentor to Burke), Stuckey, Singler, Jerebko, Sign a vetewran big, developmental big in the draft, English

• Apr 15, 201311:15 am
    by Chris Luoma

Trey Burke, send over Brandon Knight to the 2 guard position and let Burke take over the point. Burke is a tremendous ball handler and scorer and is very underrated on the defensive side of ball. The kid has the attitude on and off the court that this team needs, as well as the leadership.