Pistons annual feel good late season winning streak reaches three games

Charlotte Bobcats 93 Final

Recap | Box Score

113 Detroit Pistons
Greg Monroe, C 32 MIN | 4-9 FG | 4-4 FT | 6 REB | 4 AST | 4 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 12 PTS | +10Monroe’s offense wasn’t needed much tonight, but Monroe had a nice all-around game, particularly with his quick hands defensively, coming up with four steals against the sometimes overly aggressive Charlotte frontcourt.
Andre Drummond, C 28 MIN | 7-13 FG | 1-4 FT | 9 REB | 0 AST | 2 STL | 1 BLK | 5 TO | 15 PTS | +4By Drummond’s standards, it wasn’t his best game. But you look at is final numbers and … well, there’s not a whole lot to complain about, save for the five turnovers, a few of which were simply Drummond being a tad too aggressive on offense. Drummond had a couple of highlight plays and filled up the statsheet, like he does every night.
Brandon Knight, PG 34 MIN | 6-9 FG | 4-6 FT | 7 REB | 2 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 5 TO | 19 PTS | +6Knight was aggressive offensively and helped on the boards. He also had five turnovers and didn’t always play great defense when he was matched up with Kemba Walker, but those points are relatively minor in a game that he’s making shots in.
Rodney Stuckey, PG 26 MIN | 1-7 FG | 1-1 FT | 2 REB | 9 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 4 PTS | +8Stuckey shot poorly, but he distributed the ball well, took good care of the ball and helped force Gerald Henderson into a poor shooting performance.
Kyle Singler, SG 22 MIN | 4-6 FG | 0-0 FT | 6 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 10 PTS | -2Singler is typically about average. When his shots are falling, like they were tonight, and he’s rebounding (six boards in 22 minutes), he’s a useful player to have on the court even with his limitations.
Jonas Jerebko, PF 28 MIN | 9-18 FG | 1-1 FT | 8 REB | 1 AST | 1 STL | 1 BLK | 1 TO | 21 PTS | +17Jerebko’s late-season surge continues to be one of the few good developments for the Pistons late in the season. Hopefully, he carries this into the offseason, works on that 3-pointer some more and comes into next season able to give productive minutes like these at both forward spots.
Charlie Villanueva, PF 7 MIN | 2-2 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 0 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 6 PTS | +7Villanueva barely played, but he made shots in the few minutes he saw the court. That’s about all you can ask for from him at this point.
Khris Middleton, SF 26 MIN | 4-8 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 4 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 1 TO | 9 PTS | +22Middleton, along with Jerebko, continues to impress with his late season minutes. He’s a real candidate for a rotation spot next season if he can take his performance down the stretch into the offseason.
Will Bynum, PG 27 MIN | 5-10 FG | 4-4 FT | 3 REB | 10 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 4 TO | 15 PTS | +15Bynum’s production and flashiness (including an amazing lob to a cutting Jerebko in traffic in the first half) was appreciated as always. He, like most of Detroit’s players, got sloppy with his passes and picked up four turnovers. That’s rather nitpicky, though, when he’s otherwise pretty productive.
Kim English, SG 10 MIN | 1-1 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 2 PTS | +11English made a shot, but otherwise didn’t do much in his 10 minutes to distinguish himself one way or the other.
Lawrence FrankFrank continues to give big minutes to young players down the stretch, a welcome change from how he handled the rotation last season. On a going nowhere team, that’s all you can ask for from the coach.

• Apr 13, 201312:26 am
    by Jacob

Bobcats make the Pistons look LEGIT!

• Apr 13, 20133:46 am
      by jerrific

The Bobcat’s could make a D-league team look legit.

• Apr 13, 201312:44 am
    by I HATE FRANK

Dre makes us legit

• Apr 13, 201312:45 am
    by Jay

Is Calderon actually hurt or did Dumars already decide we’re not resigning him?

• Apr 13, 20131:38 am
      by Brandon Knight

Maybe but we don’t need him anyways!  As you saw the Pistons play much better without him.

• Apr 13, 20133:51 am
        by jerrific

No, we just play better with Drummond, and against other lottery teams. Doesn’t necessarily mean we play better without Calderon. Neither Stuckey or Knight can produce like this consistently against good teams, and Stuckey didn’t even have a good game.

• Apr 13, 20134:50 am
      by oats

The last time I heard something from Dumars about Calderon it involved wanting him back. Admittedly that was awhile ago, but it still suggests Dumars hasn’t closed the book on a Calderon return.. Calderon has clearly been the best point guard the team has had this year, and there is little to suggest he wouldn’t be the best player on the team next year if he came back. At most Dumars might have demoted Calderon to a fall back plan in case he misses out on someone else he covets, but I think there is no chance he has decided that Calderon definitely won’t be back.

• Apr 13, 201312:53 pm
        by Brandon Knight

No No No the Pistons are so much fun to watch without him! I just don’t get why do we need him!

• Apr 13, 20131:14 pm
          by I HATE FRANK

I will say this Calderon is a master in the half court offense, and his shooting has been outstanding. However, I just think going forward he does not fit.

Nothing to do with his talent, but he just don’t fit.Maybe its coaching, Maybe he has know the guys long enough

• Apr 13, 20131:57 pm
            by oats

I don’t understand this. How doesn’t he fit? We’ve only got two obvious starters for next season, and that’s the big guys. Monroe’s game goes well with a half court game. Drummond can run, but he is also great at the pick and roll, and Calderon is good at running the pick and roll. Plus, those two guys really can use a floor spacers at the other 3 spots to open up space for them. Calderon clearly works with those guys. I guess Monroe and Drummond could work with a faster paced offense than what Calderon likes to run, but that most definitely is not mandatory. If Knight is taken in to account as a starter I think he’d work better in more up tempo offense, but not that significantly. I’d also say Knight’s propensity for turning it over makes it more of an imperative to get a guy that doesn’t turn it over much than it is to get a faster paced player, so I’d still consider Calderon a solid fit.

• Apr 13, 20131:38 am
    by Jacob

We probably shouldn’t resign him.

• Apr 13, 20131:39 am
    by Trent

Any news on Dre’s foot/ankle? Looked straight forward as an ankle roll but when you put 290lbs through of pressure through it it’s a different story. Hopefully minor sprain and we shut him down and save him so he’s ready come preseason.

haha funny point from tonights game as well. BG is struggling so bad that even Kim forced him in to a turnover! I’ll miss our first rounder whenever the bobcats may get it but I couldnt be happier to see the back of that cancerous, self-centred P.O.S.

Also, as much as I think Frank should be replaced, when was the last time you saw such a poor team so happy and cohesive? There is no in-fighting, no one questioning anyone and even in our bad games we look like we are trying to work through it? Maybe Frank is the right guy for now?

• Apr 13, 20131:55 am
      by Mike

Franks is the right guy alright… for Rutgers.

• Apr 13, 201310:51 am

Franks is not the name of anyone associated with the Pistons.

• Apr 13, 20132:20 am
      by Brandon Knight

Drummond said he is great on Twitter!

• Apr 13, 20132:38 am
    by Mark

Langlois said x-rays negative. Drummond said he will be ready for the final 2 games. Great news

• Apr 13, 20134:01 am
    by jerrific

The Pistons are killing me with all these late season wins. It probably won’t matter much in this draft, but I really don’t understand why we’re so committed to winning at this point, when clearly all it does is hurt our long term outlook. We mailed in half the season, why not keep it up for the last few games that actually matter? (in terms of our lottery odds.)

• Apr 13, 20136:57 am
      by Jodi Jezz

That’s a losers mentality…

• Apr 13, 201310:51 am
        by jerrific

No it’s an intelligent mentality.  We have what, three games left?  I don’t condone players trying to lose games. Every time a player steps on the court he should give it everything he has.  But that doesn’t mean coaches can’t give big minutes to unproven players like slava and kim english.  We gain the benefit of testing little used players,  and in all likelyhood increase our lottery odds as well. Do you really think going on a late season winning streak against the dregs of the NBA, not to mention dropping one or possibly two spots in the draft, helps us in anyway because we had a “winners mentality”? That is a naive mentality.

• Apr 13, 201311:26 am

that’s a long-term perspective

• Apr 13, 20133:46 pm
      by CNA5

Developing chemistry between your cornerstone bigs > any draft pick.  Drummond and Monroe are the franchise and the improved play has largely centered around them playing together.  I can live with that because it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know and understand that those two are long term pieces.

I’m not in favor of stunting those two for a few more lottery combinations- especially considering that I see the two trying to mesh- from Monroe taking a few more 15 foot jump shots to create room for Drummond in the post to Drummond challenging shots and having faith that Monroe will rebound it.

I don’t think there’s anyone in this draft that can provide more impact than the our two young bigs growing and learning to maximize each other’s talents.

• Apr 13, 201311:35 pm
        by jerrific

That is probably the best argument I’ve heard against tanking from anyone on this site. I would agree with you if there were twenty ish games left,  but when andre came back there was to little of the season remaining to develop any real chemistry. There’s a chance,  however slim it is in this weak draft,  one spot could be the difference between a bench player and someone special.  I’ll take that over a handful of games for Drummond and Monroe to get a feel for each other. I agree that is important,  but they’ll have plenty of time for it next year.

• Apr 13, 20137:36 am
    by Moparguy

Its really not a losers mentality, Its just realistic.  More than most teams the Pistons are going to have to rely on the draft for its talent as high end free agents will have little desire to play in Detroit.
    I think the most realistic possibilities for the offseason are not the type of moves fans would really think would put them over the top.
    I would hope to get a hold of Trey Burke to compete with Knight to start at PG. Sign a solid FA like Andre Igodala who would give the team some scoring and very good defense. And then I would dial up Orlando and try to send them Charlie V and Stuckey for Big Baby and Afflalo. It would net the team a solid reserve PF/C and a solid SG that can start.  And while a SG/SF combo of Affalo and Igodala isnt  on the same plain as a team like the Heat. It would still give them more athletic wings that are both excellent defenders. And who can provide some timely scoreing to boot

• Apr 13, 20137:43 am
    by Corey

since the winning has been driving me crazy, maybe I’ll try to look on the bright side: proving Drummond is really good before the season is over may help in free agency this summer. Convincing one good player to sign with us at a same price would be worth more than a few spots in the draft. Now I want to see a Kravtsov/CV frontcourt for 49 minutes the last two games!

• Apr 13, 20138:15 am
    by Robb

Why the **CK are we trying to win games and lose another position in the draft?

STUPID!! STUPID!! STUPID!!

• Apr 13, 20138:41 am
      by Russell

oh my god stop it.  We are not tanking for the top pick. It’s not a great draft, and if it was…we are still talking about the players (human beings with at least a shred of dignity).  They’ve been through a rough season…for the ones that are staying, these are important wins.

if winning a couple of games gives us a lesser pick, it’s not going to tuin the franchise (more so).

Also, you try telling the players to stop trying.  They aren’t  calculating minds…they are ball players.  And paid to do a job.  They sucked this year, it doesn’t mean they are quitters.

• Apr 13, 201311:08 am
        by jerrific

Are you suggesting players don’t understand the concept of lottery odds? Okay that might be semi legit because most people don’t really understand how it works, but they have to know winning right now hurts their draft stock.  I agree with you that the players will and should try to win,  but that doesn’t mean we have to put our best players on the court for most of the game. getting a few wins right now and feeling good benefits nothing. Who cares about feelings? These are grown men getting paid to do a job. Besides, they know they had a terrible season. I doubt they feel much better about it because they just beat Cleavland and Charlotte.

• Apr 13, 20137:00 pm
        by PG

True. Plus if I were an NBA player I don’t want to lose to the Bobcats. lol

• Apr 13, 20139:13 am
    by I HATE FRANK

2 things

1. Drummond has NO PAIN Tolorence …everytime he goes down he rolls around like he just blew out a kneee or torn an ACL…. I love the kid but he need to toughen up

2. Drummond is too BIG… 270 is a better weight for him than 290

• Apr 13, 201310:16 am
      by Venice

Even 270 is too high for him. Look at Howard. A complete muscle dude, but at 256 lbs only. Drummond would be perfect at 250-260

• Apr 13, 201311:39 am
      by Travis

@I HATE FRANK Apparently the Pistons need to fire Arnie and hire you since you seem to know how to condition Drummond far better than Arnie does. Drummond has self-reported that he has five percent body fat.

• Apr 13, 20131:28 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

@ Travis …I think Arnie is gonna bust Drummonds ass in the off season 290 is just not a good weight for him.

Thinka bout it, at Uconn he was around 260, at the combined he weighed in at around 278 , draft that had him at 270,and somewhere between Summer Camp and now he is at 290. He jumps and runs too much for that kind of weight.

At uconn he looked very tone, not soo much now.

• Apr 13, 201311:22 am
    by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

We’re only a game ahead of the Wizards with 2 games left…McLemore, Noel, Smart (thank goodness), Porter, Victor and maybe Burke (to the Pelicans) will be gone. If all of those players are gone then who do we even go for after at that point?  Best available would be Bennett and I can realistically see us picking 7th so then what? Guess its Shabazz or bust. Every time it seems like we can land a top 3 pick this dumb ass team keeps messing things up. Deeeeetroit Badketballlll…

• Apr 13, 201311:24 am
      by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Sacramento can pass us (only a half game back I believe) in the draft

• Apr 13, 201311:35 am

Bennett would be a great pick. I don’t like Muhammad, but I guess he is probably the 8th best prospect. I mean, who else do you grab at that point? Zeller? Len? Harris? MCW?

• Apr 13, 20131:44 pm
        by oats

I have Harris and MCW over Muhammad. For Detroit I’d put Muhammad at 10, but if I was almost any other team I’d rate Zeller and Len over him too. Detroit’s need on the perimeter is too big so Muhammad goes a couple spots higher. Why is Muhammad a significantly better prospect than Allen Crabbe? Crabbe is projected as a very late first or early second round pick. Muhammad is the kind of player you can get in the 20s in most every draft, so why take him at 8?

• Apr 13, 20131:51 pm
          by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

I think Harris is staying at State for another year, but as far as potential after the players mentioned i would take a look at Glenn Robinson III. He has nice potential and after the first 5-6 picks the rest IMO is based off potential

• Apr 13, 20132:02 pm
            by oats

Agreed Harris probably stays, but I don’t know that. For now the rankings stay the same unless he actually says he is staying in school.

As for GR3, see below.

• Apr 13, 20132:52 pm
        by oats

I forgot a guy because people are so undecided on if he will go, but I prefer Kentavious Caldwell Pope from Georgia to Muhammad. His shooting numbers are pretty much identical, but he is better at getting rebounds, assists, and steals. Not only does he do more things outside of scoring, but he was way more consistent this season.

• Apr 13, 20136:52 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

I would love Shabazz at the 2

I enjoy his skill-set more than most people, I just can do what we need out of the 2…

• Apr 13, 201312:06 pm
    by Nick

If the Pistons are drafting 8 or 9, do they go with Glenn Robinson? I think that’s definitely a consideration.

• Apr 13, 20131:38 pm
      by oats

I don’t see why Robinson is a top 10 pick. He put up 11 points and 5.3 rebounds a game. He also only shoots 32.4% on 3s. His field goal percentage is good because he dunks a lot, but the kid has pretty limited range. He also hasn’t shown an ability to assert himself while playing on a team as young as Michigan, he is just a long ways away from being ready to assert himself in the NBA. What’s so appealing about that guy?

• Apr 13, 20132:01 pm
        by Jacob

What about mitch mcgary if he comes out

• Apr 13, 20132:19 pm
          by oats

McGary is a bit of an oddity. I spent most of the year trying to figure out why he was buried on the bench, and I can’t come up with a single good answer for that. Once he did start he looked like the second best player on the team, but that’s a really small sample size. He looked like a stud against Kansas but looked terrible against Louisville. He probably goes somewhere in the late lottery, and that seems about right. He’s not terribly consistent, but he’s an athletic young big man. Like Robinson he gets drafted more on potential than production, and like Robinson he shouldn’t go in the top 10 but could go anywhere after that because this draft kind of stinks.

• Apr 13, 20137:01 pm
            by Jacob

Honestly I think Robinson and Mcgary should stay another year.

• Apr 13, 20137:45 pm
            by oats

That’s one of those things that it depends on how you look at it. Both of them are potential lottery picks. If they stay in school they have a chance to take on bigger roles and make some real progress as players. Or they could stay in school, make improvements, but not improve at the rate people think they should and have their draft stock drop. Look at McAdoo and Zeller if you want an example. The kind of leap needed to actually jump up from where they are is pretty hard to do, and they both could fail at it. What’s more there is the risk of injury. If either guy gets hurt they would have hard time not losing their draft stock. On top of all that, next year’s incoming freshman class is supposed to be stacked. This draft is likely to be much weaker than the next one, so it kind of makes sense to get in to the weaker class. They are both in the 11-20 range and they are at least as likely to slip from that spot as they are to move up. Given that, it makes sense to go now. I honestly think the odds are good that all of the Hardaway, Robinson, and McGary group join Burke in the draft.

• Apr 13, 201312:08 pm
    by Travis

I hope the Pistons get the 8th pick so I can read in the comments for the next three years why the Pistons would have been better off had they lost more games in 2011-2014.

The Pistons lost several close games this season, which could have easily added 5-7 wins this season for the Pistons. So a few “meaningless” wins at the end of the season doesn’t harm the team.  They already tanked in those 5-7 games.

its very hypocritical for the pro-tankers to advocate losing by putting an inferior product on the floor to get more lottery combinations and in the same breath saying that Lawrence Frank needs to be fired because of his W/L %. I think Frank has accomplished what many of the pro-tankers are advocating for; losing.

I want the team to win, Frank to win, and the season ticket holders watch a competitive Pistons team at the Palace.

I understand why Pistons fans in name only, want the team to lose. I get it. It’s fun seeing a team lose so you get the pleasure of having the chance to have a higher lottery pick. I get it. Lions fans have been doing it for decades now. The NFL Draft is the Super Bowl for Lions fans and the pro-tanking Pistons fans want in on the party.

• Apr 13, 20131:38 pm
      by jerrific

First of all, implying someone else doesn’t love the game or their team because their opinion is different than yours is incredibly narrow-minded. No one is implying you don’t really love the Pistons because you want them to win a few meaningless games at the end of the season, so don’t attack someone else because you disagree.

Secondly, wanting Frank to lose his job based off of his performance and wanting him to play our bench guys a little more is no way hypocritical, in fact it’s actually the opposite. I want him to lose his job because he mismanaged the lineup AND mishandled Drummond’s minutes all year long. I want him to lose his job because the team was unable to close out games they could have won. Talent-wise, it was not unreasonable to expect this team to compete for an 8th seed at the beginning of the season based off of what we saw at the end of last year. Then this season started and the Pistons consistently looked lost and rudderless. Another reason I want him to lose his job is because now, even though the season is already lost, Frank is more concerned with his own outlook by adding a few empty wins than he is with improve the teams long term prospects. Furthermore, finding out if there Kim English or Slava have anything to offer this team would help us assess their value going forward, so we wouldn’t be tanking just tank, but would actually be accomplishing something valuable in the short term and long term.

Also, you do realize that winning these meaningless games actually does harm the team right? We could finish as far down as the 8th pick when we were slotted for the 5th. Just because we got lucky with Monroe and Drummond doesn’t mean another elite prospect is going to fall into our laps late in the lottery.

• Apr 13, 201312:28 pm
    by Travis

(On ending season on a high note): “We’re professional athletes. We get paid to do a job and that’s not to quit. We have to build and keep getting better. All the guys are headed in the right way and as a team we just have to get wins.” - Will Bynum

(On winning games): “It feels great that we’re winning these games down the stretch. We’re looking really poised and it’s a good sign for next year.” – Drummond

(On using these wins for next year): “We’re just using this as a stepping stone. We’re just going to continue to work together and try to get better as a whole for next season.”  – Drummond

(On winning three in a row): “We really disappointed our fans that are rooting for a higher draft pick. Hopefully in the final games we won’t let them down and we can end on a losing streak.” – Said no Pistons player ever.

• Apr 13, 20133:00 pm
      by D_S_V

You realize that all those quotes are just fillers. I’m not saying they don’t believe in it, just that those quotes may as well be the standard responses you choose from in those NBA2k video game interviews.  The end of a season has absolutely nothing to do with the beginning of the subsequent one and don’t go looking too hard for evidence of that because the beginning of this year is proof enough. As someone who watched/DVRed all but maybe 3-4 games this year, I’m much more irritated with this meaningless win streak when you combine it with the collective DUMP that was taken on the 2012-2013 season and the impact it will have on the Pistons’ draft positioning.

• Apr 13, 20132:42 pm
    by Wolverines23

Chill out everyone we are going to lose the last two games…it’s all good. Definitely going to lose against the nets, not sure about the Philly game. We’ll probably pick 5th or 6th…which means we have a shot at Oladipo, Burke, Shabazz group…we’ve already ruined our chances of drafting Mclemore, maybe even Porter, hope one of them drops down like Drummond, Knight, and Monroe have in the past. Doubt it though.

• Apr 13, 20137:10 pm
      by PG

I think we will win against the nets. I think they won’t care if they win or lose at this point. They are already locked to be in the playoffs so they will probably bench their starters to get more rest for the playoffs.

• Apr 13, 20134:57 pm
    by piston moribund

There is really no one in the draft that will be a big upgrade for the Pistons like Dre and Bullwinkle has been in the past.  This could go down as one of the worst ever if you consider that the first pick could go to Mr.Xmas, injured and didn’t play much.  Doesn’t really matter much.  In fact, its probably better to trade out of the lottery and get a pick for next year.

• Apr 15, 20138:25 am
      by G

That’s quite a statement. Most experts believe this draft doesn’t have top tier talent, like a Blake Griffin or Kyrie Irving, but it does have All Star talent. There are players in this draft that would be difference makers for the Pistons, but they probably won’t end up with a high enough pick to draft one.

• Apr 13, 20135:25 pm
    by joe

The best move the Pistons can make in the draft, is to trade down for two picks grab Dieng with one of the picks and grab a small forward with the other pick. Dieng will give us a big man that can back up Drummond and even Monroe. The reason why I feel we should grab a small forward with the other pick is because I would like the Pistons to give Stuckey and Knight a real chance. Oh by the way I’m not sold on the Pistons picking DeShaun Thomas with the second pick but I like his game.

• Apr 13, 20135:34 pm
    by joe

Now for the 2nd round if the Pistons really want a steal, they would draft this SG name Ricky Ledo. If you not familiar with him you tube him. The boy is nice, I’m just saying?

• Apr 13, 201310:18 pm
    by Robert Bayer

Would like to point out the author .. really well written .. just one correction … Frank still dragged his feet on playing the young guys .. even JJ .. over the first half of the season .. things only opened up because Tay was traded and Jmax got hurt .. Frank is not the smartest cue ball in the rack.

• Apr 14, 201312:47 pm
      by T Casey

This is one of my big problems with Frank. He doesn’t make necessary changes, even ones that everyone else sees would benefit the team, until he has no choice but to because of injuries or trades (this one may make sense) or, in the case of benching Stuckey earlier this year, us getting off to the worst start in franchise history. You can’t really give a guy much credit at all for making changes he had no choice but to make because of the circumstances.