Piston of the Week: Andre Drummond

Piston of the Week (4/7/2013 – 4/13/2013): Andre Drummond

15.6 points, 10 rebounds, one steal and 3.7 offensive rebounds per game, while shooting 69 percent from the field.

It’s Andre Drummond’s world and we’re just living in it.

Too far? Ok, so the kid is still only 19 and still has a ton he can improve on after the Pistons’ season wraps up on Wednesday, but for now, isn’t it nice to finally take the Ferrari out of the garage and flaunt around town in it?

This is 110 percent the Pistons’ equivalent of being the guys in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off who cruised around Chicago in Cameron’s Dad’s Ferrari.

Drummond’s emergence as a starter may have taken a full season, but finally having him securely inserted into the lineup is as big of a building block as you can find in a lost season.

We basically know what he can do now, though. He’s going to dunk (everything) and he’s going to rebound the heck out of the ball. Sure, his one-on-one defense leaves much to be desired, but at 19, he’s also one of the league’s top young help-side defenders when it comes to blocking shots.

If Larry Sanders wasn’t also in the Central, Drummond probably would be the best.

Even the free throws — he was 1-for-12 at the line last week — have kind of, sort of improved. He went 9-for-17 from the stripe against Cleveland, and he ended up stymieing Byron Scott’s plan of using the Hack-a-Dre to get Cleveland a win.

Really, who’s to say that Drummond can’t average his rookie year per-36 numbers (14 points, 13.6 rebounds, 2.8 blocks and 1.6 steals) next year?

That’s something we’ll have to wait and see, but within that waiting, who does Drummond need next year? Obviously there are a number of free agents who would help him, but let’s keep it in the draft. Who in this draft fits and benefits Drummond the most considering the Pistons’ summer situation?

Trey Burke, Marcus Smart? A young big man will always benefit from a point guard who can deliver an entry pass and make an open jumper.

Otto Porter, Ben McLemore? Wing players who know how to create some offense of their own, along with making open jumpers created off of double teams in the post, aren’t a bad thing.

Nerlens Noel, Anthony Bennett? Drummond’s already got a pretty good front-court mate in Greg Monroe, but when has too many athletic bigs who can shoot (Bennett) or block shots (Noel) been a bad thing?

We won’t know which of these guys, if any, end up panning out as NBA players, let alone being a Pistons draft pick for awhile, but in the meantime, they’ve got Drummond — so that’s a pretty good start.

Past Winners

• Apr 13, 201311:11 pm
    by Dacata

Andre Drummond is the next Shawn Kemp. I have no doubt that what we’re seeing is something very special.  Give this team some time to gel, and improve. A few veteran stars is althat this team needs. At the moment they’re very immature mentally and don’t know how to close out games down the stretch.

• Apr 14, 20132:42 am
      by gmehl

Shawn Kemp minus all the un-fathered children might i add ;0)

• Apr 13, 201311:29 pm
    by Reaction

Burke, McLemore, Smart are the three guys I think would really help the team. Smart would take longer to develop than the other two. I think Burke to Drummond lobs would be a thing of beauty.

• Apr 14, 201312:05 pm
      by NickB

Smart is awful, I can’t understand why people want him. He averages 4.2 assists to go with 3.4 TO’s. That’s not what you want in a PG. And he can’t shoot 3′s. He’s a worse version of Brandon Knight.

If you draft McLemore, you have to move Knight. Either back to PG (which I doubt you want, if you like Burke and Smart), to the bench (he’s better than a bench player IMO) or trade.

I like Burke a lot for this scenario. I don’t really trust BK to be our PG in the future, and Burke is actually good at the things we need a PG to be good at.

• Apr 14, 20137:04 pm
        by Reaction

He’s a rookie with no team. He put up similar stats to Burkes Freshman year + a ton more steals.

• Apr 14, 20138:25 pm
          by oats

Burke as a freshman had more assists, fewer turnovers, and shot way better than Smart. Burke also made the kind of leap that is really hard to project, and most players fail to ever make it. Knight is a good example of betting on a guy to make that leap and him failing. Knight averaged 4.2 assists and 3.2 turnovers at Kentucky, which is the same number of assists and slightly fewer turnovers than Smart. He was projected to make a leap, and he never did. I get why someone will take Smart and hope he makes that leap, I just wouldn’t want to be the team doing it. If he fails to do make a huge jump either as a passer or as a shooter he becomes hard to find a role for on this team.

• Apr 14, 20131:03 am
    by DasMark

With those draft targets, you’re forgetting that Detroit is doing its late season push out of the top lottery pick with winning meaningless games.

Oladipo, Shabazz or Burke are their likely best bet.

• Apr 14, 201312:12 pm
      by NickB

Shabazz…I would really not like that pick. Ugh. volume scorer who can’t hit 3′s like we need? No thanks.

Oladipo, what is the point if we have Knight? Unless you want Knight to be our PG. Sure, he’s bigger, but Knight has a much better offensive game than Oladipo does, and Knight is a pretty good defender.

Burke would be the best pick of those 3. Clearly we need a PG (Calderon has no reason to return, and Knight isn’t really a great option at PG), and Burke is a great PG. He takes care of the basketball very well. He can shoot 3′s, and he piles up the assists.

• Apr 14, 20136:14 pm
        by oats

Oladipo looks better than Knight. He’s a better defender, and projects as roughly an equivalent shooter. Knight wouldn’t go to point guard, he’d go to the bench where he probably belongs.

• Apr 14, 20133:15 am
    by Mark

Agree with everything except I think Drummond’s a much better one on one defender than you gave him credit for. At times he completely puzzles opponents in the post to the point where after 2 or 3 failed post-ups, they are already settling for jumpshots, and don’t go back in the paint the rest of the game. Plus there’s his on-ball perimeter D, where he takes on guards 1 on 1 and then takes the ball from them and goes coast to coast. Yeah, there’s times too when he gets scored on easily in the post, but he’s definitely shown me enough to believe he’s going to be an elite 1 on 1 defender as well as elite help defender. He’s got the total package on defense. Unlike Big Ben, who was never as great as he could’ve been defending the post, simply because of his lack of size. Drummond will never have that issue, and its actually the opposite, because his size/length us going to be a tremendous advantage in the post on defense.

I could see him being the next Hakeem or Robinson in terms of post defenders.

• Apr 14, 20136:55 am
      by jerrific

In prime Ben was one of the all-time great one on one defenders despite his size disadvantage. Way to early to say if Drummond even approaches his level,  but he does have the chance to if he puts in the work. I’m just not sure he’s tenacious enough to be a truly great defender.

• Apr 14, 20133:24 am
    by Mark

I really like the idea of Burke with Drummond. He’s got that unbelievable range on 3′s to where the court would be so spread it would be impossible to defense. With defenses having to worry about Dre/Moose in the paint, while also guarding Trey out near mid-court.

Plus he’s got that confidence and swagger that we really need on this team, especially at the lead position as PG/QB.

Just his shooting ability and the pace which he plays with would fit perfect. He’s almost lke a mini-Chauncey, how he controls the pace of the game and has that deep range shooting. But in addition he’s also great at penetration, which we saw how effective it was with Dre having a PG who can penetrate and dish.

In a way, Burke is kind of like if you took the best of Bynum and best of Calderon and combined them into 1 PG. He can penetrate like Bynum, but can also shoot like Calderon. AND he plays defense, albeit undersized, but you won’t have to worry about any matador D being played. He’s going to get in you and defend.

I also don’t think his size would be an issue here because we have so much size up front, we’re always going to be a huge team no matter how big our perimeter players are.

• Apr 14, 201310:59 am
      by Jacob

Hopefully he is still there when we pick.

• Apr 14, 201311:24 am
      by Vic

Yeah Burke is the guy if otto is gone.

I say that only because 6’8 wings with talent and no holes in their game come around a little less often than true pgs that can shoot. And those pgs will always be undervalued so there’s more chances to pick them up later.

• Apr 14, 20136:21 pm
      by oats

Burke shoots 38.3% on 3s in college. Calderon is the best 3 point shooter on the year at 46.1%, including 52% in his time in Detroit. I feel pretty good saying I don’t expect Burke to shoot that well in the NBA.

• Apr 14, 20139:07 pm
        by Huddy

Burke has raised his 3P shooting numbers from his freshman to sophomore year and he really takes considerably different shots than Calderon.  Burke is the best player on his team and the best at his position in all of college basketball, which commands considerably different defensive pressure than a pass first PG like Calderon does in the NBA.  Burke constantly shoots off the dribble and is force fed the ball to carry the team on a regular basis.  When you watch Calderon play he really only takes wide open looks and that is why his numbers are among the best in the league.  This is not to say Burke will hit a percentage like Calderon’s or anything, but it isn’t really fair to compare their shooting numbers like that because of style of play and role on their teams.  If Burke were to play for the pistons I would think we would expect less do it alone play that he often does at Michigan.  With out bigs he will probably feed the post, drive and kick, and take open looks when the D collapses like Calderon does so I would think he could raise his 3P numbers just by taking easier shots.

• Apr 14, 20139:40 pm
          by oats

I agree he can raise his shooting percentage, and I think he will shoot better by playing with the bigs on this roster. Actually catching the way Calderon is shooting is pretty tough to do though. What’s more, his style of play isn’t likely to change that much. He will probably always jack crazy long 3s, in part because he can be stymied by taller defenders. He will likely always take a lot of high difficulty shots, so his percentages will always be lower than it could be. I really like Burke, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t think you can say he can shoot like Calderon, in part because he will likely never be that selective of a shooter. That’s not necessarily a bad thing as Calderon sometimes fades in to the background when the team would really benefit from his shooting ability, but when it comes to pure shooting ability Calderon has an edge.

• Apr 15, 201310:18 am
            by Huddy

Yeah like I said I don’t think he will get up to Calderon’s level percentage-wise or anything.  I really do think that a lot of the desperation type shots are because of how heavily his team relies on him in college though.  Being shorter has made the step back and a quick release a must for Burke, but if we were to draft him I hope we utilize his passing ability more than having him be a first option on offense like he was in college.  There is some give and take as Burke is more athletic than Calderon and I would say is more likely to succeed in drive and kick scenarios as well as on the fast break thanks to Michigan’s style of play.

• Apr 15, 20131:19 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

“”I also don’t think his size would be an issue here because we have so much size up front, we’re always going to be a huge team no matter how big our perimeter players are”"

based on the team as is

Size is an issue, We have one proven athletic big that can defend the paint…

If you draft Burke, defending on coaching Knight moves to SG position, we still lack an athletic Wing, and Monroe will struggle at the 4 against some stretch fours…

• Apr 14, 201311:50 am
    by Travis

If the Pistons land the No.7 or No. 8 pick and no one is on the board that has an impact on the roster for the 2013-2014 season, I wouldn’t be opposed to the Pistons including the pick in a major trade on draft night.

• Apr 14, 201311:55 am
    by NickB

I like Porter Jr a lot. I think he should be our pick. That said, you’ve got to wonder about the PG position. If you think that we should move Knight back to PG, then McLemore is the guy you want, because he’s one of the best guys in this draft. If you think Knight can’t be a PG, then we need one (come on, why would Jose stay here? He could go back to Toronto and they might actually have an interesting team for once)- in that case, you have to take Burke, because we can’t expect to be any good without a stating PG. Do you want Stuckey there? Heck, if we keep Knight at PG and trade Stuckey, we might end up starting Will Bynum. Even though I love the guy, I can’t imagine him starting for us. He’d burn himself out the way he plays.

If we draft Bennett, we might as well trade Moose. Bennett is a big who can score but is hopeless on defense, so in that sense he’s basically the same sort of player. We might as well keep the younger guy who we won’t have to pay for a little while longer, who can shoot 3′s a little bit as well.

No point in drafting Noel. Unless everyone we need or want is off the board, at which point he is immediately a trading chip.

Marcus Smart sucks. If we want a PG, we should look elsewhere. How’s a 4 to 3 Assist/TO ratio going help us out at all? Plus, he can’t hit 3′s at all. At that point, we should just stick with Knight. We’d be better off drafting McCollum or McCallum than Smart.

• Apr 14, 20136:47 pm
      by oats

There are more point guards in free agency then that. Obviously Calderon is a potential target, and all reports suggest he is the primary target. I honestly think Jeff Teague might be my favorite point guard that is available. Jarret Jack could definitely start. I wouldn’t mind Mo Williams or Darren Collison. I’d also go with Devin Harris over Knight even if he is just a stop gap guy. Heck, I’d rather turn it over to DJ Augustin before I went back to Knight. Point guard is not mandatory in the draft.

Bennet is a clearly inferior player to Monroe, so Monroe shouldn’t go. Athletically there is no reason Bennet couldn’t be a decent defender, at least for a bench player. He just needs to be more engaged on that end. But if someone has to be traded, it has to be Bennet unless the Monroe/Drummond pairing unexpectedly doesn’t work. I’d say it’s starting to look like the Monroe/Drummond pairing is at least feasible so you don’t trade Monroe to make room for a prospect as unproven as Bennet. If there is a trade for Monroe you just can’t say no to then so be it, but I don’t find that scenario likely. Bennet meanwhile can get 20-25 minutes a night at the 4, and another 5-10 at small forward.  That would get him 25-30 minute a night, so he wouldn’t be a waste. I’d also like to point out that a 3rd big man that can spread the floor would be a huge positive for this team. If someone were to be traded, it will most likely be Bennet though.

• Apr 14, 20131:32 pm

Harris
    Carter-Williams
    Len
    Zeller

• Apr 14, 20132:03 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

Porter is a little overrated ….  i know you guys like him …and if he because a piston root for him hard …but do not believe he will become a better pro than Shabazz

• Apr 14, 20132:59 pm
        by Brandon Knight

He is a boring player! lol

• Apr 14, 20133:05 pm

I disagree. But would it matter anyway?

• Apr 14, 20136:59 pm
            by Brandon Knight

No! but fans would like to see some athletic and explosive players! ——–>  Oladipo!

• Apr 14, 20138:08 pm
            by oats

I’d rather see good players than athletic ones. Not that Oladipo isn’t good, he’s just not as good as Porter.

• Apr 14, 20139:13 pm
          by Huddy

Losing is boring.  Anyone who would value flash over quality has horrible sports judgement.  Oladipo is a solid player, but to base an argument for using a valuable draft pick on being flashy is stupid.  Maybe we should draft whoever has the bet victory dance.

• Apr 14, 20132:59 pm

I agree that Porter is not a good enough prospect to be considered for the first overall pick in most drafts. But this is kinda like the 2011 draft. There just is no Rose or Griffin or James or Davis.

As for Shabazz, the main reason I have him so high is because he seems to be seen quite highly and would have at least some trade value. But honestly, how is he a better prospect than someone like Doug McDermott (the best pure scorer in this draft)?

• Apr 14, 20139:27 pm
          by oats

I get the idea that if you missed out on the guys before Shabazz that you’d want to trade, and for some reason people actually like Muhammad for trade purposes. I agree with all that. I just really hate the idea of accidentally getting stuck with Muhammad instead of someone I think is clearly better than him.

I also think the 2011 draft is a pretty spot on comparison. There is enough depth that this isn’t an all time awful draft, but it really is lacking in top end talent and there likely will be a lot of mistakes made throughout the whole thing. Still, it isn’t the 2000 draft. At least I hope not.

• Apr 15, 201312:15 am

You’re probably right. On the plus side, it is unlikely that none of my top 6 will be available when Detroit drafts. The lowest the Pistons are liable to fall is to 8th overall. And since Smart is projected to go top 5 and there’s almost always one head scratching pick early, that should leave one of Burke/Oladipo/Bennett. And I’d be happy with any of those.

• Apr 15, 201312:56 am
            by oats

I use that to console myself about these wins too. I’d much rather have a good choice between a few guys instead of just getting the remainder, but I think someone solid will be there. I really want a top 7 pick because someone definitely takes Smart before pick 7. At pick 8 you are just hoping someone does something dumb. There is a good history of teams confusing me on draft day, so there are still decent odds that the 8th pick is decent too. That’s especially true if the Kings are in the top 7. If anyone takes Muhammad in the top 7, I’d bet on it being them. I just don’t want to rely on the incompetence of others.

• Apr 14, 20136:58 pm
      by oats

I have Harris, MCW, and Kentavious Caldwell Pope ahead of Shabazz. Pope especially belongs over Shabazz since he does everything Shabazz does but also passes and rebounds some. I just don’t get why Shabazz is better than any of them. Heck, I don’t think he’s better than Allen Crabbe. Those two seem like the same player to me, but one of them got over hyped by lying about his age and beating up weaker high school players.

• Apr 14, 20135:24 pm
    by Mark

• Apr 14, 20135:55 pm
    by Dacata

Pretty lame if true. It’s a very important free agency this season, I wouldn’t be going into it without a GM that knows this roster inside and out.  Drafting Drummond also a master stroke.

• Apr 14, 20136:06 pm
      by Mark

Depends who they’d be bringing in to replace him. And just because Dumars knows the roster doesn’t guarantee he’s going to make the right decisions with the capspace. Its possible ownership just doesnt trust him spending the money after the BG/CV debacle. Look how long it took to recover from that. This team can’t afford another 4 yr setback due to bad signings

• Apr 14, 20139:28 pm

It’s hardly a sign of genius to take easily the best prospect left on the board when he exactly fills your roster’s greatest need.

• Apr 14, 20136:04 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Shabazz is a Prototype Scorer! 6’6 225 …6’11 wingspan …Good athlete …. he has a solid jumper and 3 point shot … and know he is past his prime at the age 20! But he was still a freshman, and carried his team.

• Apr 14, 20137:54 pm
      by oats

Actually, Muhammad’s 3 point shot started out hot but faded. Throw in his reputation as a weak outside shooter in high school and it seems like his shooting numbers are likely inflated. The college line is closer than the pro line, and college defenses are worse than NBA defenses. The college season is also shorter, so it’s easier for a couple hot shooting games early in the year to jack up his shooting totals. A longer pro schedule would see those games weighted in a more reliable manner. His first 10 games he went 14 of 29, or 48.3% on 3s. The next 10 he went 13 of 34, or 38.2%. His last 12 he went 13 of 45, or 28.9%. Two things are happen as the season goes on, he’s making fewer and shooting more. It seems reasonable to think he’s really not that good of a 3 point shooter, he just hit some early on to artificially inflate his season average.

Not only is his 3 point shooting percentage likely inflated, he only shoots a decidedly average 44.3% from the field. That number is especially bad since he only takes 3.3 3 point attempts a game. He shoots 46.3% on 2 point field goals, a number that is pretty bad for a guy that likes playing as close to the basket as Muhammad does. That isn’t a prototypical scorer. I guess he gets to line reasonably well, but he’s only a 71.1% free throw shooter. That’s not that bad, but it isn’t that good either. That gives him a True Shooting Perecentage of 53%, which is pretty mediocre.

Now let’s compare him to Kentavious Caldwell Pope of Georgia, a guy Chad Ford currently has at 18 in his mock draft. I like him quite a bit better than Muhammad though. Here’s the easy test on his scoring. He scores .6 more points per game on .9 fewer shots. Yeah, more points on fewer shots equals a better scorer.

Now I’ll dig in a bit like I did with Muhammad. Kentavious also has a mediocre 43.8% field goal percentage, and an identical 37.7% 3 point percentage. Caldwell Pope takes 7 of those 3s a game though, as opposed to Muhammad’s 3.3. He also has been quite steady. His first 10 games he went 28 of 80, or 35%. His next 10 games he went 22 of 58, or 37.9%. His last 12 he went 36 of 92, or 39.1%. It should also be obvious why I trust the shooting percentage of a guy with 225 attempts more than a guy with 106 attempts. Pope is just a more reliable 3 point shooter. What’s more, the fact that he takes so many more 3 point shots makes his lower field goal percentage more tolerable. He shoots a very solid 50.5% on 2 point attempts. He also gets to the line a decent amount, only .4 times a game fewer than Muhammad. Because of all that he has a solid 58% true shooting percentage. In short, he’s a purer scorer and a better outside shooter than Muhammad.

Muhammad’s biggest advantage on Caldwell Pope is his size. Caldwell Pope is listed at 6’5″ and 205lbs. He also reportedly has a poor wingspan of only 6’6″, so he is just an average sized shooting guard. Despite that disadvantage, he gets an extra 1.9 rebounds a game. Kentavious is definitely quicker than Muhammad, and he projects at least as well if not better on defense than Muhammad. Kentavious averages 2 steals a game versus Muhammad’s .7, and Kentavious has been the better defender in college so far. Usually that size helps with 2 point shooting percentage, rebounding, and defense. Kentavious is better at 2 of them and is at least at good on the third, so why should I care about that size advantage exactly? What’s more, Muhammad’s a black hole on offense, averaging only .8 assists a game. Kentavious is not exactly a great passer, but his 1.8 assists is at least reasonable.

Kentavious Caldwell Pope is literally better at every facet of the game. What’s more, he’s actually 3 months younger. Muhammad got over hyped by lying about his age and beating up on high school players last year. Kentavious struggled a bit last year and plays on a lesser team, but he’s just a better basketball player now and that should be the deciding factor between them.

• Apr 14, 20138:36 pm
        by Talan

Great post. I like Shabazz even less now. Your post implied this, but I feel it bears spelling out. Kentavious Caldwell Pope played on a terrible team, he was the beginning and end of every offensive possession for Georgia. Teams solely schemed against him and yet he still put up efficient numbers. Shabazz had a more competent team around him and yet still struggled.

• Apr 14, 20139:11 pm
          by oats

Yeah. Keep in mind Shabazz also took more shots as well as have more help around him. UCLA did everything in their power to maximize Shabazz’s play. Shabazz also played with Larry Drew, and Drew averaged 7.3 assists a game. The leader in assists for Georgia is Charles Mann with 2.9 assists. Drew’s 7.5 points is also better than Mann’s 6.7. Shabazz also played with Jordan Adams, a 15.3 point a game scorer to help take pressure off him. The second leading scorer on Georgia is Nemanja Djursic, a 7.9 point a game scorer. Mann’s 6.7 actually was 3rd on Georgia. UCLA is just a much better place to play than Georgia was.

I don’t think there is anything special about Muhammad. He’s the kind of guy you can get in the 20s in pretty much every draft. Right now Caldwell Pope is projected outside the lottery and is clearly better than Muhammad. Allen Crabbe is projected either late first or early second and is more or less the same guy, although he is 7 months older. I don’t understand why anyone likes him. I don’t blame Tarsier for having him that high as trade bait since some teams seem to bizarrely like the guy, but I don’t know what people are seeing in Muhammad.

• Apr 14, 20139:34 pm

Another major part of the reason I have him so high is that, after 6, I have basically run out of prospects I really like. Experts seem to see a lot they like in Smart and Muhammad, so I trust that they have some intelligence in this area and put them at 7 and 8.

There is nobody after that who I would project as anything more than a solid role player. That’s nice to have, but in the lottery I’ll take a chance on someone who somebody else thinks has star potential.

• Apr 14, 201310:35 pm
            by oats

I kind of get Smart. Smart has a future as a defender at least. I see Muhammad as a guy whose only real skill he isn’t very good at. I really think he just lied about his age and beat up on guys he was more developed than in high school. That led to him getting hyped up. I think scouts either bought in to the hype and aren’t seeing things rationally, or they scouted him in high school and don’t want to admit how wrong they were.

I have Smart where you have him, and largely for the same reason. I just feel much stronger that they are off on Muhammad, and I have significantly higher grades on the Harris, Carter Williams, and Caldwell Pope group than him. Those guys all need some work, but I think they are significantly more likely to be good starters than Muhammad is. I think I might need to put CJ McCollum from Lehigh in that group too. McCollum could be one of those guys whose passing numbers suck because his team absolutely requires him to take a lot of shots. McCollum also had his 3 point shooting jump from 34.1% last year to 51.6% on 3s this year, but he only played 12 games and that number likely would have dropped. He’s another guy I have a hard time properly rating so I’ll rely on the team to properly scout him. After that group things start getting more even and I start leaning on the scouts again. I put Muhammad after the Harris, MCW, Caldwell Pope group despite having the same grade on him as guys like Allen Crabbe and Jamaal Franklin.

• Apr 15, 20138:16 am
        by I HATE FRANK

“”What’s more, Muhammad’s a black hole on offense, averaging only .8 assists a game. Kentavious is not exactly a great passer, but his 1.8 assists is at least reasonable”"

If Shabazz is a blackhole , then so was Durant in college.

Shabazz played the way he was asked to play

• Apr 15, 201312:12 pm
          by G

You’re really comparing Muhammad to Durant?

Durant shot FG’s, threes and FT’s better than Muhammad. He got to the line more. He passed more. He rebounded more. Yes he took more shots than Muhammad – about 200 more FG’s and 100 more threes – I have no problem with shooting a ton if that’s what’s called for. My problem is Muhammad isn’t NEARLY as efficient a scorer as he should be. The way his FG% fell off at the end of the year, I’m afraid he’s probably Monta Ellis 2 years ago level of efficiency. That’s not how to win games

• Apr 15, 20138:54 am
        by I HATE FRANK

Sorry im late, Im just reading this

but even if you really this Pope is a slightly more consistent player than Shabazz.

1. He is a 2 year player, verse Shabazz as a freshman
        2. Physically he is more limited than Shabazz 6’11 wing span vs Pope 6’5 wingspans , Shabazz 225 vs Pope 200lbs
        3. and the same way Shabazz struggled down the stretch like many freshman wing players do, Pope only shot 40% of higher 3 times in the last 10 games
        4.Shabazz has a larger arsenal of offensive tools than Pope, who is more of a long range shooter

I get what your saying but its not really close

• Apr 15, 20133:01 pm
          by oats

1) Why does 2 years in college matter. They are the same age. Your argument here is terrible.

2) He is a better athlete, and does the big guy things better than Shabazz, so I don’t see where Muhammad’s size actually helps

4) Except Caldwell Pope is actually better on two point attempts as well as 3s. No, Shabazz’s arsenal is not more effective, so who cares if it’s theoretically more diverse?

You are right, it isn’t close. It just doesn’t go in Muhammad’s favor

• Apr 15, 20133:48 pm

Sorry, missed 3 somehow.

3) His last 10 games Caldwell Pope went 28 of 79, or 35.4% on 3s. That’s just about average. In Muhammad’s last 10 games he went 10 of 30 on 3s, or 33.3% which is just a bit below average. Shabazz’s field goal percentage in those games was 39.4%, just a touch below Caldwell Pope’s 39.9%. Still as I already explained, you can live with the lower field goal percentage when a guy takes a lot of 3s. The reason is simple, 3s give you more points per shot and you can live with a lower shooting percentage as a result. That’s part of the purpose of true shooting percentage, to quantify how a guy shoots and factor in the extra scoring being missed by traditional shooting percentages. That is both 3 pointers and free throws. Over the last 10 games Muhammad had a true shooting percentage of 47.1%. Caldwell Pope had a true shooting percentage of 58.2%. It should be noted that Kentavious Caldwell Pope did a much better job getting to the line in those 10 games, taking 75 free throws to Muhammad’s 61. Kentavious was still good in that stretch, Muhammad not so much.

• Apr 14, 20139:30 pm

How is he more of a prototypical scorer than McDermott? McDermott has basically identical measurables and scored a whole bunch more. And slightly more efficiently.

• Apr 14, 20139:46 pm
        by oats

You are actually underselling McDermott. He was way more efficient than Muhammad and it isn’t close.

• Apr 14, 201310:18 pm
          by Talan

Didn’t Creighton play at one of the fastest paces in college ball last year? His numbers are likely a bit inflated. I don’t disagree though, McDermott has every shot in his arsenal. I think the fear with McDermott is his struggles on defense. He played the stretch 4 a lot in college. He’s not big enough to do that in the NBA and he is not fast enough defensively to play the 3. I see him as a bench scorer.

• Apr 14, 201310:47 pm
    by oats

Muhammad: 44.3% on field goals, 46.3% on 2 pointers, 37.7% on 3s, 53% true shooting percentage.
    McDermott: 54.8% on field goals, 57.3% on 2 pointers, 49% on 3s, 67% true shooting percentage.

Pace doesn’t change things that much. McDermott is a way more efficient player. I agree that McDermott is probably a bench player because of his defense. If he puts on a little weight I could easily see him as a stretch 4 though. Even if he is just a bench scorer, he might still be so good that he is more valuable than Muhammad. I have him rated behind Muhammad because of his D, but no one has scored as efficiently as McDermott.

• Apr 15, 20138:01 am
      by I HATE FRANK

How many of you have seen him play? the offense was designed for him to get up shots.

My However, my point is he is the Prototype SG. Name the other players in this draft built like him? with his skill set??

If you are looking for a perfect player in this draft there is none, Shabazz has the ability and physical tools to be a very good player in this league.

Just like I said last year about Drummond perception is not the truth.

• Apr 15, 201311:26 am

• Apr 15, 201312:02 pm
          by I HATE FRANK

“”I feel like your argument for Shabazz is entirely, “look at his body, he is built perfectly to be a dominant SG”. I guess that’s true, and it puts him several notches above other guys who produced comparably but don’t have all that tantalizing upside. But I want more than looking the part from a top 10 pick.”"

I think people are knocking all of his skills, I question how people here actually saw him play a game by the comments I read.

He moves very well off the ball, he finds open spots, he has a quick release, made over 40% shots off of screens pick and pop plays.

He can post up, shoot over defender, and reliable floater in the lane.

Sure he hit a freshman wall, but he proved that he can shoot the ball with range.

Knocks is Passing or getting other players invovled…not comparing him to Durant, However Durant averaged 1.3 ast in college; thats what happens when you have a ball-handler, and the offensive based on you moving without the ball, and when you recieve the ball, you are the scorer.

He is a good and capable athlete, does he his game needs to refined YES, does his Defense need to improve YES. But He is more NBA ready than most of the guys everyone here is talking about.

I read where someone here called him too old at 20!, Ben Mclemore is 20!

• Apr 15, 201312:14 pm
            by G

Dude, he hit the freshman wall at 10 GAMES! Look at how his numbers dropped off. It looks less like “hitting a wall” and more like “regressing to the mean”.

• Apr 15, 201312:48 pm
            by G

The “black hole” criticism with Muhammad comes from those possessions where he’s got the ball and between 3 to 5 defenders swarm, but he still shoots (and usually misses).

Muhammad hasn’t proven anything. He doesn’t have a reliable right hand, his shooting %’s started slipping after 10 games, and the only thing “NBA-ready” about his game is his body.

• Apr 15, 20132:10 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

if you watch how he plays, he plays an NBA Game.

This other guys dont, Ben Mclemore plays an NBA Game.

and the only time i saw him forcing the issue was in the tournament

• Apr 15, 20132:41 pm
            by G

It wasn’t something that just popped up in the tournament. All season long.

• Apr 15, 20133:11 pm
            by oats

Caldwell Pope totally plays an NBA game. He is in the mold of Ray Allen. He comes off screens, he takes long shots, he goes to the hoop, he gets to the line. He literally does everything you’d want from an NBA shooting guard. His game is literally the prototype for how to play that position.

You know who has a game that doesn’t look like the typical NBA shooting guard? Shabazz. A lot of what he does is camping out in the low post, and then catch and shoot from that block. Well, he does use his two steps a lot of the time, but that’s about it. He rarely puts it on the floor from there, and if he does he isn’t moving much. The only shooting guard I can think of who does that is Ronnie Brewer. There is a reason for that, it’s really hard to establish that position in the NBA. Even Kobe doesn’t successfully catch the ball that close to the hoop that often, and he is the best post up guard in the league. What’s more, catching the ball there tends to lead to getting your shot blocked. Ronnie Brewer does it anyways because his shooting range is maybe 4 feet.

Shabazz does other things that translate, don’t get me wrong. But the things he does that translates he does worse than what Caldwell Pope does, but all of Caldwell Pope’s game translates.

• Apr 16, 201311:41 am
            by G

It’s important to remember that Shabazz DOES have some aspects of his game that are important to have in the NBA. He hit open threes and he also hit shots running off of screens.

What concerns me is the fact that he’ll be 21 at the start of next season and he still hasn’t developed his right hand. This is why his age is a factor. It’s not like 20 is super old, but it IS pretty long in the tooth to start working on an off-handed shot.

I also have concerns about how the NBA three-point range will affect his shooting. We’ve been talking a lot about how Muhammad’s percentages fell off the final 2/3′s of the season. He may end up being an average to less-than-average three-point shooter, which would make him a less-than-average starter at SG.

• Apr 15, 20134:19 pm

So not only his body looks good, his mechanics do also? Is that your argument. The latter part is somewhat debatable, but I’ll give that to you. What is not debatable is that his production is mediocre at best. Surely you have to factor that in somehow?

• Apr 15, 20138:09 am
    by I HATE FRANK

also, im not gonna knock McDermott

but the level of competition that he played wasnt high

• Jun 13, 20134:20 am
    by Lisa

• Trackback

Aug 27, 20138:52 am
    by Kacper

Hubert producent chemii budowlanej je?eli chcesz wymieni? dach w swoim domu, powiniene? wiedzie?, i? czym? bardzo istotnym jest to, aby cho?by skorzysta? z pomocy dekarza….

proof je?li chcia?by? wymieni? dach w swoim domu, musisz wiedzie?, i? czym? niesamowicie istotnym jest to, aby cho?by skorzysta? z pomocy dekarzy….