‘No team in coaching circles is rated as more likely to make a change than the Pistons’

Marc Stein of ESPN:

Even with so many teams being discussed here, no team in coaching circles is rated as more likely to make a change than the Pistons, whose 4-18 record since the All-Star break and increasingly frequent struggles to keep games competitive have clearly put Lawrence Frank’s job in jeopardy despite the one season, followed by a team option, left on his contract.

League coaching sources consistently submit Frank’s name as poised for dismissal when the regular seasons ends, with the Pistons said to be increasingly concerned by some of the body language and lukewarm responsiveness from Frank’s players that’s often evident to scouts sitting courtside.

Few coaches in the game are as prepared and thorough as Frank, but it’s not resonating with this group. It would thus be a big surprise, at this stage, if the Pistons aren’t soon in the market for a coach — possibly a former player — who might be able to vibe better with Greg Monroe, Andre Drummond & Co.

Lawrence Frank has fallen quickly in Detroit, especially considering Joe Dumars said at Frank’s introductory press conference, “We are desperately trying to settle into a long-term coach.”

There’s no point in keeping a poor coach for the sake of having a long-term coach, but just two years ago, it seemed like Dumars would give Frank every benefit of the doubt. However, 93 losses later, that might not be so easy for Dumars to actually do.

• Apr 11, 20132:44 pm
    by jerrific

But no one is calling for Dumars’ job because he built this shitty team? Sure, Frank needs to go. But Dumars got us here in the first place. I think this offseason will be a make or break one for him. For the sake of the franchise I hope he gets it right.

• Apr 11, 20133:00 pm
      by mixmasta

I am not an all out JD supporter but Dumars did not hire Frank though. Could have been a different season with a different coach.

Another is that Dumars had his hands tied by Karen years before. So, technically, he did not build this team as he was not allowed to trade.

• Apr 11, 20134:21 pm
        by Otis

Ok so his hands were tied. Then what happened once they got untied? What was he able to do?

Pay Rip $14 mil to go away, give away a first round pick to dump Ben Gordon’s awful contract, re-sign his OWN free agents in JJ, Stuckey and Prince, whom he subsequently salary-dumped.

So what are these trades Karen Davidson was keeping Joe from making, huh? Who was going to take Ben Gordon or Rip or Charlie off our hands?? Give me a damn break and think for yourself, son. The proof is in the pudding. Joe would have had ZERO success trying to trade any of these awful contracts, and that’s not up for debate. Quit making excuses for him. This is ALL his fault.

• Apr 11, 20136:13 pm
          by PG

Lol relax.

• Apr 12, 20133:52 am
          by rick

People with hindsight really make me laugh. The funny thing is we never know what Dumars does. We only hear about it. I do know he tried to pull a trade for Kobe, and if players have provisions in their contracts that prevent them from being traded what can the man do? Btw Dumars wanted Woodson not Frank, it was Gores who signed off on Frank.

• Apr 12, 20131:06 pm

Compare him to what other GMs were able to do. Who cares if he tried to get Kobe? He didn’t succeed. That doesn’t make him a bad GM. Lots of other respected GMs never got Kobe either. But they made other smart moves.

You can say all day that this and that is not his fault. Maybe you’re right. But I don’t care. I want a GM who is responsible… for making good moves, not one who bad things just happen to beyond his control.

• Apr 12, 20137:48 am
          by lisa

I blame Joe for this mess and all these lost seasons. I think it started with that stupid trade of Billups for “I don,t practice”. It was a mistake that snowballed. Here we are today, still at the bottom of the hill. If he doesn’t pull off a miracle this summer he should be gone!

• Apr 11, 20134:32 pm

Dumars did not hire Frank? What? You think the Pistons had another GM just for that day?

• Apr 11, 20136:50 pm
          by Travis

It’s been referenced by sources in the Pistons front office that Woodson was Dumars’ choice and Frank was Gores’ choice.

• Apr 11, 20137:03 pm
            by oats

But Dumars still made the hire. He might have been following his owner’s lead, but Dumars did hire the guy.

• Apr 12, 20138:22 am
            by G

I guess he liked his job… Come on, if your boss says I really want you to hire this guy and you disagree but are unable to convince your boss of the alternative, what do you do? You hire the guy your boss wants. Be realistic.

• Apr 12, 20132:38 pm
            by oats

Does anyone really think it was hire Frank or be fired? I really don’t think it was.

• Apr 12, 20132:44 pm
            by G

No, but crossing your boss that early in the relationship is never good. Gores probably wouldn’t have fired Dumars just for that, but it would’ve given him an itchy trigger finger. Is this not common sense?

• Apr 11, 20133:10 pm
      by G

Next year is a make or break year for Dumars. He hit the jackpot with Drummond, he’s got money to play with and little incentive to tank the season since the Bobcats are probably getting next year’s pick. A repeat of 2009 would end his career as a GM.

• Apr 11, 20133:26 pm
    by Mark

I get that Joe wanted to settle into a longterm coach, but that wasn’t just for the sake of longevity. I’m sure Joe wants to win more than have longevity. If Frank had shown SOMETHING to give reason to believe he could be successful longterm, Joe could maybe keep him another year. Like if he had gone .500. But when you only win 30% of your games two years straight, who wants more of that?

Finding a longterm coach is great if they are a winning coach, but if they don’t win you want it to be as short term a relationship as possible, and rightfully so.

Joe should not feel he needs to keep Frank just because of past coach’s failures. If you don’t win, you get fired. That’s how it goes.

• Apr 11, 20133:41 pm
    by Travis

I don’t dislike or like Lawerence Frank, but it seems one more year for Frank on the Pistons bench would send a message to the league/coaches that the Pistons aren’t a 2 year you’re out team for coaches. Plus, this would be some of the players 3rd coach in 5 seasons if they were to fire Frank.

Jerry Sl

• Apr 11, 20133:46 pm
    by Travis

Jerry Sloan could be an option, but he might be reluctant to sign with a team that is notorious for having a fast-moving coaching carousel. Plus, most coaches on the market aren’t known for developing young talent. Let alone so many rookies and sophomores on one team.

• Apr 11, 20134:50 pm
    by by key decisions know

We need to have good coach now to bring  key pieces and maybe superstars because who wants to play with Franks as Head coach.

• Apr 11, 20134:51 pm
    by MIKEYDE248

Bottom line is, if they can upgrade at the coaching postition, I think they should do it.  If they can only bring in another coach that will need to be replaced in 2 years, may as well keep Frank and see if is system finally catches on with the players.

• Apr 11, 20134:53 pm
    by Reaction

I am just praying we do not lose our next years draft pick (2014). The talent I see in that draft is ridiculous. I hope people realize that there seems to be a lot of potential in that draft (players that may end up as stars).

• Apr 11, 20135:02 pm
    by Desolation Row

I think he gets canned. Unfortunately, the reasons may have more to do with Dumars’ job security than Frank’s performance. As other commenters have noted. Not to say he’s done a particularly good job, but that the primary motivation for his exit will be for reasons slightly out of his control unless he was an epically great coach capable of making talent-depleted or weirdly constructed rosters overperform (i.e. Rick Carlise/George Karl).

I don’t particularly care one way or the other as long as the Pistons improve. Frank seems like a legit dude, so I hope he gets the Rutgers gig and can spend more time with his wife. Hopefully this works out for everyone.

Jerry Sloan would be huge. Surprised more people aren’t pining for Laimbeer. My own pick might be Chauncey Billups :)

• Apr 11, 20135:45 pm
      by EMan

In my fantasy, we hire Laimbeer and Mahorn. I would buy season tickets again to see that.

• Apr 12, 20132:02 am
        by Desolation Row

That’d be an interesting coaching duo to pair with Monrummond.

• Apr 12, 201310:06 am
        by Clint in Flint

Sounds like a winner! Almost anyone except Curry, Kuester or Frank.

• Apr 11, 20135:59 pm
    by Mel

It’s funny how people say coaches worry about teams that let coaches go too quickly yet there is always a coach ready to work. Look NBA coaches makes millions just Mike Brown made over 6million  after getting fired from the Lakers and the day he found out that he was fired he was at Chick Fil A taking a pic with an employee smiling talking about the Lakers is a great organization. Franks not making over 6million but he’s living well with 2 million so I don’t feel sorry for letting coaches go to get another one cause another one will be ready to work. I just want Joe D to work with a better list of coaches, Nate Mcmillian, Bill Laimbeer ( so what he only won in the WNBA coaching is coaching) Scott Mitchell he’s better than Frank, Vangundy Bros, etc

• Apr 11, 20137:38 pm
      by Mark

I dont buy that firing Frank after 2 yrs would have any effect on luring a new coach. There’s only 30 jobs in the world, and when you have 1 of them, have 2 top young big men, loads of capspace, are one of the leagues most storied franchises, and an owner willing to pay big money, you can get any coach you want practically.

Plus all coach’s understand that if you only win 30% of your games in 2 yrs, you deserve to be fired. I dont think anyone would hold it against the Pistons for wanting more than a 300 win percentage.

• Apr 11, 20136:10 pm
    by George

I really wish JoeD would trade our 1st rd pick this year for the Bobcats 2014 unprotected 1st rd pick

• Apr 11, 20136:20 pm
      by oats

Why would Charlotte do that? Let’s say they get the top pick. The Bobcats should take Noel and not play him at least for the first 60 games of the year. Then they suck again and have a decent chance at the top pick in next year’s draft. Isn’t that about 100 times better than doubling up in this lousy draft? I’d say so.

• Apr 11, 20137:13 pm
        by George

I think Bobcats would be open to trading for our #1 this year.  They have been a losing franchise for a long time, so at some point, they have to figure that they have to put out a decent team.  They already have MKG and Kemba as pieces to build on, and 2014 is full of sg/sf types, but not any real good bigs.  This year’s draft could net them a guy like Bennett along with Noel.

Hell, they may figure that they are getting our first pick anyways next year.  Our 2014 pick is top 8 protected.

“Charlotte will get the Pistons’ first-round pick next year if they make the playoffs for the first time since 2009, the person said. If Detroit is in the 2013 draft lottery, it will keep the first-round pick if it is within the first eight selections overall. The first-round pick the Pistons owe the Bobcats from the deal would then be protected only if it is No. 1 overall in 2015 and it is unprotected in 2016.” – quote NBA.com

• Apr 11, 20137:34 pm
          by oats

Right, but why is now the time to make a move? They couldn’t possibly alienate their fans more than they already have, so why not stick it out to get a roster that might actually be good? It’s not like Charlotte seems afraid of sucking. Is Bennet good enough to give up on the top of much better draft class? Why not just loading up on talented players next year and call it a plan? What’s more, Julius Randle is supposed to be one of the best players in the next draft, and Willie Caulley might be around with that Detroit pick. They also have Bismack Biyombo and Byron Mullens as young big man prospects, and I have them adding Noel. It seems to me that shooting guard is probably going to be one of the picks for them in the next two years, so why not do that in next year’s stacked draft for wing players? This seems like a much more sound plan than getting Noel and Bennet this year and then only having the Detroit pick as their means of filling that shooting guard spot, especially since Detroit will have no motive to lose and will be going all out for a playoff spot next year. With my idea they get whoever the best player is at the top of a stacked draft instead of Bennet and then still have the option of addressing shooting guard with the Detroit pick if needed.

• Apr 11, 20136:42 pm
    by MNM

Before you get rid of Frank..first things first: GNP…. Get.New.Players.

Next thing: Jerry Sloan? Since when is he coaching again? Did I miss the news? And since Frank is awful in manys eyes, then what makes sense about hiring a former teamate in Laimbeer who had one year of asst.coaching experience like 2 years ago and since then has gone back to coaching womens basketball? If your a new owner and your looking to make somewhat cohesive and intelligent desicions in order to make your team more succesful again, then why would you do that? If your Dumars, and your hoping that you don’t get fired sometime in the near future, why would you do that..especially when your track record with coaches has now become somewhat of a running joke since you’ve been in charge..Isn’t Frank like the 8th coach in charge of this team since Dumars took over as GM in 2000? And that’s just since HE has been the GM.. Grant it, Michael Curry and John Kuester should never have seen the light of day as a head coach, but still there they were. And at least you could for a second say that Curry was at an unfair disadvantage when Billups was traded for A.I. 3 games into the ’08 season to play with Rip and Stuckey… Some blame can go to Bill Davidson, but jesus.. I think people need to get a grip and realisticly look at the situation.

• Apr 11, 20137:00 pm
      by oats

Actually, the team is in a very good position to get a new coach and new players, but it actually makes sense to get the coach first so he can have input on the new players coming in.

The Sloan thing is purely speculation. He clearly didn’t retire because he wanted to, so it’s reasonable to think he might be open to coaching again. It’s not a certainty obviously, but it isn’t like anyone seems to think it is. You are kind of ranting about nothing there.

Laimbeer’s resume isn’t that bad all things considered. I get that the women’s game is way different, but are you actually suggesting Laimbeer doesn’t understand the men’s game? If not then I don’t totally get your argument. Laimbeer is a guy who has a shot to be a good coach, while Frank is a known bad coach. Why doesn’t it make sense to make that change exactly? I’m not saying Laimbeer has to be the guy, but I’d rather roll the dice with him than continue trotting out Frank.

I’m just not buying the argument that the team needs to keep Frank to avoid being the coaching carousel. Here’s a hint, they already have that reputation. Holding on to a bad coach for an extra year won’t change that, it will just leave the team with a bad coach for another year. A desire for consistency shouldn’t outweigh poor performance. Frank should be graded purely on his own merits and not on what the team has done in the past. I think he fails that test. I also could see how the team might not feel that way. I don’t know what Dumars thought of the way Drummond was being used. If Dumars likes that slow approach then Frank might stay around. I thought it looked like Frank planned on taking things slow with Drummond and he didn’t have the ability to adapt when it became obvious that plan wasn’t necessary. If it turns out the organization was still urging Frank to hold back with Drummond then much of the fault for this crappy season lies elsewhere.

• Apr 11, 20138:42 pm
        by MNM

“Ranting about nothing”?..Uh, I don’t know what the hell your talking about.(probably because it’s coming out of your ass). Im not the one who has brought up Jerry Sloan on a number of occasions on this site as if it has been reported time and time again that he is looking to get back into coaching…Yea, that wasn’t me. Is Frank a really good coach? I wouldnt say that. Is this roster close to garbage? Yes, I would say that. And That is the point. It is so easy for you and others to swing and “low hanging fruit”. Jerry Sloan as well as any other coach currently employed or retired right now couldn’t fix this mess..It’s not rocket science. If they wanna fire Frank, that’s fine.. I don’t care that much, because he isn’t the biggest problem with this team.. THAT’S the point. I think you and others give this roster too much credit..and that’s kinda sad. And the point about Laimbeer.. I don’t know what you didn’t understand about that.. he doesn’t have enough asst. coaching experience in this league for a owner who is a very succesfull business man and who wants playoffs real soon to justify hiring him and to know that he can handle dealing with NBA players and if NBA players can handle him.. Gores isn’t the type to “roll the dice” as you would.. which is why your sitting on this site and not running a team.. Yes would it make readers on this site excited and give people something to talk about because he played here and won here over 20 years ago. But so what. Why not give the job to Isiah? Because that’s worked out so well.

• Apr 11, 201311:47 pm
          by oats

Ok, let’s start this off. First of all, I’m going to try to avoid using too many personal attacks here despite you not showing the same restraint. I’ll try to let that go for now and address your points, something you also didn’t really bother to do for me.

Jerry Sloan is a potential coaching candidate. That doesn’t mean it’s likely,  or that anyone even thinks he is going to coach again. Every single time he’s been brought up there is something about it not be a likely hire. There is absolutely nothing objectionable about the way his name is popping up. He is a dream candidate, not a likely one. No one thinks it’s going to happen and you are taking all of that way out of context. That’s why I said you are ranting about nothing, and there you go doing it again. It’s not about him looking to get back, it is just that it is vaguely reasonable for him to do so and as such I get why he pops up in potential ideal candidates. No one has claimed he is coming back, and no one has said he will coach in Detroit. You are arguing a point that isn’t actually being made.

I am not over valuing the roster. This roster sucks. It had no chance of making the playoffs even with a good coach. I agreed that the team needs new players, and agreeing that team needs an overhaul is the only thing I said regarding the roster so I don’t see how you could come to such an erroneous conclusion. I also didn’t argue Frank was the biggest problem, so don’t pretend like I did. The point is that Frank is actually a bad coach. He can be a bad coach with a bad team. Several of his decisions have been really bad. The way he buried Drummond is awful. His game day adjustments are awful. His tendency to make huge changes in the way he allocates minutes is confusing and it makes it hard for the team to get in a rhythm. All of these suggest he is in fact a bad coach. Bad coaches should be fired. What’s more, while they don’t have total control, coaches do give input in personnel decisions, and personnel decisions are made with the coach’s system in mind. The team has some serious cap space coming up, and it makes sense to have a better coach in place beforehand so the team can get guys to fit with him. I guess this is where I should ask you if you want Kuester back because the roster sucked when he had them and apparently that excuses terrible coaches for being terrible.

Look at what I actually said about Laimbeer for a second. I believe I included the words, “I’m not saying Laimbeer has to be the guy.” Yeah, I did. My interest in Laimbeer is not because he was a Piston, but it does have something to do with how he played. He was a smart player who was fond of toughness, he emphasized defense, and he helped to jump start the era of understanding the value of 3 point shooting by helping to usher in the stretch 4 movement. Those are all positive signs from his playing career. He also has not only coached at a high level, but he actually won there. I get that the women’s game is really different than the men’s game, but it isn’t like Laimbeer is out of touch with the men’s game. I think he has an outside chance of being able to make it. That doesn’t put him atop my coaching search, but it gets him in as a fringe candidate. Why should I care that he only has 2 years of assistant coaching in the NBA. Kuester had tons of assisting coaching experience and was awful. What matters is how well he knows the game, and how well he can handle players. By all accounts he has the first half down, and he’s arguably can do the latter. That gets him in a list of potential candidate.

The entire point of the Laimbeer paragraph is that a relative unknown still makes more sense than keeping an incompetent. I thought it was abundantly clear that it was less advocating Laimbeer and more talking about why I don’t want proven bad coaches. So how in the hell did you get Isiah into it? That is the exact antithesis of my point because Isiah is another proven bad coach.

• Apr 12, 20131:59 am
          by Desolation Row

Dude, if you’re just looking to $h*t on someone for the sake of it, I’m sure you can find a willing partner on Craigslist. Otherwise, please read **and comprehend** people’s responses before responding so inappropriately. It adds nothing to the conversation.

• Apr 11, 20137:41 pm
    by Andy

First thing needs to do is fire both LF and JD.
    Second thing is to get a real point guard like Rondo, Irving, Wall or Lin by using BK plus another to trade for.
    Third thng is to hire a coach with experience developing centers or power forwards to make AD and GM both improving and expanding their potentialities.
    Last thing is to let go some players like CV, JM, CM and even JC.  In return, to urgent hunt for a couple of real quality Small Forward and Shooting Guard.
    Pistons will stay out of play-off contending if first JD still in Detroit and not get an experienced coach.  Think deep! Don’ t waste another year with LF and lose the lovely fans…….!

• Apr 11, 20137:49 pm
      by oats

Detroit is not trading Knight for one of those guys without including one of Monroe or Drummond. Well, maybe Lin, but that probably takes Knight and probably the draft pick this year. I don’t see what else the team has to offer them. Lin also isn’t all that good, so I don’t get the desire to get him.

• Apr 11, 20137:42 pm
    by Mark

Lets go after Phil!

Gores said he’s going all in. He’s got that LA connection and probably knows Phil from his days on the Lakers. Make it happen Tawfiq!

Give him 20 mil/yr and make him the highest paid coach ever.

idk how average players can get 20 mil/yr deals so easily, but the Michael Jordan of coaches can’t get that much? Esp when it doesn’t even count on the cap. Teams will max out a player thinking he will change the franchise, why can’t they do it for a coach when you know for certain he will win you championships?

• Apr 12, 201310:54 am
      by MIKEYDE248

I would rather keep Frank than bring in Phil.  When had Phil ever done anything with a team that didn’t have at least 2 superstars on it?  The only thing he does is coach egos.  That’s not at all what this team needs.

• Apr 11, 20137:59 pm
    by Corey

Stan Van Gundy is the coach we should hire. He built a top defense out of Dwight Howard and a bunch of defensive scrubs (Rashard Lewis, Turkoglu, Nelson, etc…).   He could make Detroit a top defensive team again, building around Andre.

• Apr 11, 20139:14 pm
      by domnick

svg is a good coach but also makes his players to leave… look at orlando… after success… they left…. only few remain…

• Apr 11, 20138:37 pm
    by deusXango

I’m a big Bill Laimbeer fan! I had to get that out of the way first so if anyone wants to tune me out they can. I have only three coaching candidates in mind and two of them are NBA champions. Laimbeer, Brian Shaw, and Nate McMillan. I think those three are in touch with todays athlete, and would make excellent teachers of the pro game to a young, rebuilding team. They are all upgrades over the last three, possibly four coaches we’ve had.

Laimbeer had a long and distinguished career as a contending big man; won a couple of league rebounding titles, and was a defensive terror. One of the most mentally tough players to step on the court. I think that he’d have more respect coming from Monroe and Drummond than Frank (no matter how much one might think he’s getting from them). He’s not just an ex-Piston, he’s a basketball hero at the Palace; a winner with both the Pistons and the Shock! All those who poo-poo Laimbeer’s coaching efforts in the WNBA probably look down on their sisters, wives, aunts, mothers simply because they’re women, and feel that they can’t contribute the same effort to compete, win, or otherwise excell in sports, based on physical differences. I don’t think it takes a feather out of his cap, but adds another one! With the last few clowns to come our way, Laimbeer deserves a chance.

Brian Shaw is a past champion on another franchise, enjoyed a fine NBA career, has an excellent reputation for preparedness, is of high character (with integrity), and has learned coaching the game from one of the best in the NBA. As yet he’s not had his turn to lead a team like a lot of little knowns who are leading contenders today. I’d take a proven hopeful over a proven loser any day; Frank is a proven loser.

Nate McMillan would be a safety net and selected only if I couldn’t sign either of the first two; he’s better than the last three!

• Apr 12, 201312:32 am
      by oats

It is unfair to cast everyone who points out that Laimbeer’s success is in the WNBA as being misogynists. There are plenty of valid reasons to doubt how well WNBA success translates. The best reason is that the game is just played very differently. It’s not just different athletes, the style of game and strategies being used in the NBA are not the same as it is in the WNBA. Considering how much college coaches have struggled adjusting to the pro game due to similar changes, it seems logical to question how well his success there will translate to the NBA game. Then throw in the kind of egos involved in the NBA. Players know they make a lot more money than their coach, and it is easier for a team to move a coach than to move a player. There is a different coach/player dynamic in the NBA than any other level of basketball. Even the great Jerry Sloan got fired because he couldn’t handle Deron Williams.

• Apr 12, 20133:54 am
        by T Casey

I’m sure a guy like Laimbeer who was one of the leaders of one of the greatest nba teams around would know how to adjust his play calling/coaching strategies for the nba. Fact is, he’s a proven winner, multiple times, at every pro level of basketball he’s been at and even took the Shock from last to first in one season. The guy knos basketball.

As for egos and what not, that depends on the culture you’ve built as a franchise, the players on your roster, and what/who your franchise is committed to. Take the Spurs for instance, Popovic is very stern and hard on his players, but he’s proven himself to not only the franchise but his players that he’s a winner and fair and players buy in or they’re shipped out and replaced with someone who will. Also, I don’t think this roster has those kinds of egos on it. All the young guys still seem fairly impressionable and willing to conform for the sake of getting better/winning. My point, if I haven’t explained it well, is that there’s a remedy for this kind of issue, but the team has to be willing to give the coach their support and trust. In turn, of course, the coach would have to deliver wins.

• Apr 12, 20137:11 am
          by oats

I actually like Laimbeer as a candidate. Laimbeer isn’t my top choice, but he absolutely belongs on the list of candidates. My point is simple, I think the concerns about Laimbeer’s ability to translate his WNBA success into NBA success are legitimate. As long as there are legitimate reasons for that line of thinking it is unfair to write it all off as people looking down on women. That’s why the bulk of my post went the way it did, to give an example of how to disagree with the original stance without seeing women as inferior. It’s that characterization of people who disagree with the pro Laimbeer stance that is so objectionable to me.

• Apr 12, 201312:14 pm
            by T Casey

Understood. And I agree labeling those who are critical of certain aspects of his wnba coaching success bigotted def isn’t fair.

• Apr 12, 201312:33 pm
        by Ozzie-Moto

There is a big difference:  Most Collage coaches NEVER PLAYED IN THE NBA. Lamb did and one of the best aspects is that Bill had a big hand in the shocks player evaluations and trades and he put together a  balanced and winning team instead of all the mismatched unbalanced teams we have had for the last 5 years.

• Apr 11, 20139:12 pm
    by domnick

i think for us to suceed next season… we need a coach that loves to run… we need to play fast pace game…. as our team is getting younger.. we need to improve our offense.. and also defense… i want our team to play like Denver Nuggets… they play well without a Star… while we have potential all-star players… but the system doesn’t fit to our team….

• Apr 11, 20139:21 pm
    by Travis

Wow, lots of hostility from fans on a coaching change that is only hinted at because of ESPN and the Rutgers opening. It seems that Laimbeer draws the most attention, but IMHO Gores and Dumars won’t hire him because of the potential for Curry 2.0.

Laimbeer wasn’t even offered an assistant coaching job as the big man coach. Just sayin’.

• Apr 12, 20134:05 am
      by T Casey

Laimbeer is no Curry. And if that’s the concern, we shouldn’t hire anybody because you can always point to some Curry like disappointment of a coach as an cautionary tale for why not to hire a guy. Judge the coach/basketball mind on his own merits. And with that said, Laimbeer is far more proven as a coach and winner than Curry was so I have a hard time believing that was the case. And if so then the front office really needs to re-evaluate how they determine who to hire as head coach because the way their doing things now is reeling in nothing but obviously overrated dud after dud.

• Apr 12, 20137:20 am
      by oats

Frank has worked with Rogers as his big man’s coach for years. It was only natural that he kept his guy instead of having Laimbeer forced on him. For the most part a head coach is given a lot of leeway to create his own staff, so I don’t think that was some sort of indictment on Laimbeer so much as Frank getting a guy he knew he was comfortable with.

• Apr 11, 201310:38 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Jerry Sloan would be a complete disaster ….
    hard ass straight old school guy not good match with a
    young team that will make mistakes and need some positive energy.
    Sloan the kind of guy that could Coach at Boston if Doc retired.

Thy need a more creative passionate guy … That they would go to
    battle for … intense but not grumpy …(Sloan wears player good will
    out.) or to academic  (Frank)    Tom Isso esg. (not thinking he is interested)
    good with BIG men..

I know one smart ass coach that fits the Bill.

• Apr 12, 20138:28 am
      by G

You must not be familiar with Jerry Sloan’s work.

• Apr 12, 201312:14 pm
        by Ozzie-Moto

I am that’s why i said what i did … I know he a good guy, and a long term kind of coach but also know the kind of player he is used to working with. Just not a young teams kind of coach in my book.

• Apr 12, 20131:22 pm
          by G

What makes you say that? The only issue I’ve heard of was with Deron Williams, and he wasn’t that young then. Also, the only guy on the team that appears to be difficult to deal with is Stuckey. I don’t think Sloan wants to come back to coaching, but his flex offense would be perfect for the Pistons.

• Apr 11, 201310:50 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

PS   Curry wasn’t a coaching choice. it verged on nepotism, or JD having blinders on.    It is maybe hard to have the guts to hire Bill L but he be a draw and get the team going as a team. Only worry is that there would be a built in prejudice from the league based mostly on myth. But if not BL then someone with some balls. The Pistons need a confidence builder and someone to build a focussed Offense and designed a defense around Dre

• Apr 11, 201311:38 pm
    by Mark

Guys, my theory on why Dumars won’t hire Laimbeer is related to philosophy.  Granted, we want our players to be good citizens and players, but Dumars has steered away from the type of gritty players outside of Ben Wallace that were the hallmark of his own team.  I believe that he feels deep down inside that Laimbeer represents the worse of the old tradition and in hiring him this would put a target on the organization in the eyes of the NBA(The Stern Effect). Thoughts?

• Apr 12, 20139:12 am
      by Jeremy

I am not so sure about this. Sheed was just as good a defensive player as Ben was, he just lacked the athletic explosiveness that Ben had. Billups was perhaps the best defensive PG in the league for the years while Detroit was on top. Rip was an underrated defender and in my opinion Tay was actually the worse defensive guy on the team (he did 2 things: shut TMac down as a Rookie and run a Reggie Miller looking for his AARP card down on a shot and blocked it). We repeatedly watched guys he was supposed to shut down (LBJ, Pierce) destroy us in the playoffs. That’s a completely off topic here though.

I honestly think it has more to do with the fact that for years Joe played (rather successfully to a Hall of Fame career) under the limelight of other guys on this team. Davidson and Zeke (prior to 93 or so) had a great relationship with each other and we would be complaining about Zeke right now if it were not for their falling out. As much as people hate on him, Zeke is still one of the best PGs to play the game. Laimbeer, Mahorn, et al. that were enforcers on the bad boy teams were the one’s getting attention from writers, other players, announcers, other teams’ fans, etc. All the while Joe went about his business. Grant Hill came along after the bad boys were deconstructed and had the whole nation asking if he was the second coming of Jordan. Meanwhile Joe quietly went about his business earning 7 all star game honors (4 consecutive starting with the 1990 game). Remember there was also word that Lindsey Hunter had clauses in his contract that moved him into the front office post retirement and that never came to fruition. John Salley also expressed interest a few years ago about coming back to work within the organization and that hasn’t happened. My hypothesis is this: Joe hasn’t brought back any former teammates into basketball operations related positions (Mahorn’s radio gig doesn’t count) because the GM position puts the spot light on him and when the team wins (04 Championship, 6 straight ECF, 2 final appearances), the credit goes to him. Bring in someone like Laimbeer to coach would pull all the attention and recognition away from Joe.

Before anyone attacks me on this, I know Joe is a team first guy. Joe is one of my favorite all time players. However, guys can be team first guys and still want some piece of individual recognition for their accomplishments.

• Apr 12, 20139:39 am
        by G

Tay wasn’t the worst defensive player on the team. Rip was. Billups had problems handling quicker guards. Sheed and Tay were on about the same level. Tay did a good job on LeBron most days, nobody was shutting that guy down. He did a great job on Kobe. Ben Wallace was the best defender, Tay was the best perimeter defender.

• Apr 12, 20139:45 am
        by G

Besides, how often does a top defensive player actually “shut down” a top offensive player? Not that often, actually. Check the Tony Allen-Kevin Durant match-up. Allen is arguably the top perimeter defender in the league. Durant is arguably the best scorer in the league. How many times do you see Allen shutting down Durant in their head-to-heads?

• Apr 12, 201312:15 am
    by Craig

SVG OR BUST!!!

• Apr 12, 20131:10 am
    by Jason

The most interesting candidate that no one is talking about…Patrick Ewing. If the players don’t respect him, then they do not deserve to put on an NBA jersey.

• Apr 12, 20131:51 am
      by oats

I can’t speak for everyone, but part of it is probably that Ewing and his New York team’s had a reputation for wilting under the pressure. It might not be fair, but that tendency is not one I want to introduce to a locker room. If I’m trying to be perfectly rational I’ll admit that there isn’t a good reason to think that would somehow follow him in his coaching career, but I do think that is why I forget to list him when thinking of coaching candidates. Yeah, Ewing is a guy that should get a look over, along with any number of assistants.

• Apr 12, 201310:07 am
        by G

And then there’s Ewing’s involvement in the Gold Club scandal, which caused me never to take him seriously again (yes, I still took him seriously after Space Jam).

• Apr 12, 201312:16 pm
      by Merwin

“We might make a lot of money but, we also spend a lot of money.”

• Apr 12, 20132:05 am
    by Franks Must Go

Franks should be fired, that’s a no-brainer. Joe D., to me is actually doing a good job, and players around the league respects him. If you look at our last three drafts(Monroe, Knight, Drummond) all were steals at their picks, most noticeable was Drummond at number 9. He have the team entering the summer with significant cap space. It’s not his fault that this year free agent list is thin on talent. The future look bright for this team, which is why the Piston coaching job will be a desired one. The team is loaded with young talent, a top seven draft pick and money to spend on free agents. Dumars got us in this position. We are not the Clippers, Bobcats or Timberwolves, who front office keep making bad moves and the team stay bad for decades. We missed the playoffs for a few years, but that will soon be over and we will be back contending for a title soon. I would rather Dumars take the road he just took, then for us to make the playoffs every year as a mediocre playoff early exit team like Atlanta or Orlando with Dwight. Franks must Go, because he is a bad coach who make awful decisions about player rotations and in game adjustments. This year never should have been about trying to make the playoffs. It should have been exclusively about developing the young talent on the team to see what we had there and he should have sat the veterans. But his decision to play and start Maxiell sealed his fate. Middleton and Slava should have seen minutes all year because unlike the players he did give minutes to like Maxiell and Tay, they will actually be part of the team next year.

• Apr 12, 20132:22 am
      by oats

People keep calling Knight a steal and I don’t get it. He is about the 7th to 10th best player in his draft and went 8th. Sure there were some bad picks ahead of him, but several guys after him should have gone before him. While he often went higher in mock drafts, those mock drafts were projecting for a team to reach on him. Most experts had him in the 6-10 range on their big boards. He went where he was rated, and he also went about where he would go in a draft redo. I’m just not seeing a steal there.

• Apr 12, 20138:52 am
        by Travis

@Oats – You are portraying the 2011 Draft with revisionist history. Just like Tarsier you are making counter arguments based on your own world view, not cold-hard facts.

• Apr 12, 20139:55 am
          by G

If you’re arguing that Drummond and Monroe were “steals” because they outplayed their draft positions, how does Knight fit that same description? On draft day, Monroe was viewed as a bit of a reach (Ed Davis was the most projected pick). Drummond was viewed by many as a risky pick. Knight was viewed as a bit of a steal on draft day based on potential.

Now that we’ve seen some results, Monroe and Drummond (especially Drummond) are viewed as steals. Knight? Not so much. If you re-draft the 2011 draft, Knight probably goes somewhere in the 7-10 range, like oats said. That doesn’t qualify as a steal. You can’t have it both ways, either Knight was a steal and the other 2 weren’t, or Drummond & Monroe were steals and Knight wasn’t.

• Apr 12, 201310:45 am

Monroe was viewed as a reach?!?!?!

Ed Davis was the most common projected pick for the Pistons because Monroe was always off the board by then. I did not see a single mock draft in which Monroe fell past the Pistons. On draft day, everyone talked about how dumb GS was for taking Udoh over Monroe and how lucky the Pistons were to get Monroe all the way at 7.

• Apr 12, 201310:46 am

Drummond was a risky pick much higher. But by the 9th pick in the draft, he had enough upside that he was considered well worth the risk. Again, it would have been really hard to find a mock in which Drummond got past Detroit.

• Apr 12, 201311:35 am
            by G

My memories of that draft are admittedly fuzzy. Whatever. Monroe was taken within a pick or 2 of his projection, Drummond was risky, and Knight wasn’t that much of a steal. Can we stop getting sidetracked please?

• Apr 12, 201310:25 am

Nothing revisionist about it. Revisionist history has people like Leonard, Thompson, and Faried going way over Knight.

At the time of the draft, most mocks had Knight going 3rd to Utah or 5th to Toronto. But the associated blurb was always that the team was reaching a bit to get a player at their position of need.

Part of how you know that wasn’t actually accurately reflecting how good people thought Knight was is the fact that none ever had him going 2, 4, or 6. It was just 3 or 5 because those were teams in need of PGs without a lot of good options.

It’s kinda like how most seem to believe that Geno Smith is a second round talent, but plenty of mocks have him going in the first round, sometimes even top 10, because some teams need a QB.

• Apr 12, 20133:49 pm
          by oats

I personally think the proper way to evaluate a steal is to look at the player and ask where he should have gone in a world where teams actually got it right. Knight’s definitely not a steal using that metric, but I guess that is revisionist history. I honestly think revisionist history is the proper way to judge if a guy is a steal or a bust. Yes, a draft steal is the polar opposite of a draft bust, and as such you assess it by using revisionist history if you will. Darko is a bust because he failed to reach his lofty expectations, and he should have gone much later. If he was picked at 35 he wouldn’t be a bust, the term is based on value relative to where he was drafted. The same is true of draft day steals. Ok, let’s stick to actual history then.

When ranking players independently of team needs every big board I saw had all off Irving, Williams,  Valanciunas, and Kanter ahead of him. He often went 3rd to Utah because they already had Jefferson, Millsap, and Favors but Williams had just left. That was a need based assumption for them, not one based on where Knight belonged. The other assumption was that everyone agreed those were the top 4 guys, and as such Toronto would not have a chance at one of the two centers they coveted. Toronto wanted to move Bargnani to the 4, but it looked they couldn’t do that. They also had been looking for a long term replacement for Calderon and were thought to be interested in Knight to develop behind Calderon for a few years. Turns out Cleveland liked Tristan Thompson more than they liked Valanciunas, but the year wait might have played in to that. With the two point guard needy teams passing on Knight he “fell” from where he was projected.

The problem with that narrative is that Knight wasn’t universally considered being worthy of that top 5 pick. In addition to those top 4 there were other guys rated ahead of him. Most big boards had at least one of Tristan Thompson, Bismack Biyombo, Jan Vesely, Kemba Walker, or Marcus Morris rated ahead of him. Toronto was assuming Valanciunas would go 4, so they were actually talking trade with Detroit. They knew Detroit wanted to go big, and Washington wanted not a point guard, so if they slipped they would be able to hit on one of the Knight/Walker group. If Knight really was their guy, they wouldn’t have been willing to risk losing him like that. What’s more, the difference between Knight and Walker was considered minimal, but Knight often went in the top 5 while Walker rarely went in the top 8. Knight really wasn’t graded as a top 5 guy before the draft, he just wasn’t. People look at projections to reach on him and think he was a top 5 guy, but they are wrong. Knight was almost always projected from 6-10 as a talent. Detroit got him right in the middle of his range.

• Apr 12, 20138:57 am
    by AJ

• Apr 12, 20139:38 am
    by Venice

Off the topic, what range do you think Gary Harris will be picked? I really like his skill set but I think its a reach to pick him with our pick. What  mid 1st rnd team do you guys think that can trade there 1st round for our second rn pick for our expiring contract? maybe stuckey or cv?

• Apr 12, 201310:01 am
      by G

Gary Harris gets picked next year. Everything he’s said sounds like he’s coming back. Same with Payne, I just don’t see him leaving a year early to get drafted in the second round.

If you think a player is good, draft him and to hell with what everyone else says. I actually think the latter part of this draft is pretty deep. The front end of the draft looks weak, but the back end looks pretty strong, as far as back ends go. I think the Pistons will do fine with their 2nd round picks.

• Apr 12, 201310:26 am

If Harris declares, I can’t see him falling to the second round.

• Apr 12, 201310:31 am
          by G

Agree. Probably somewhere between 10 & 14, maybe somebody reaching in the 7/8/9 range. But it sounds like he’s going back to school.

• Apr 12, 201312:15 pm
    by Aruna

Does anyone else feel like the only reason Detroit is viewed as likely to switch coaches is because of Joe’s track record of dumping coaches after 2 years?  While I don’t think Frank has earned an extension, I just don’t see anyone out there who’s both better and likely to accept a job with the Pistons.  Unless there’s some new coaching prospect bubbling under the radar, there’s a reason the folks who aren’t head coaches aren’t head coaches.  Either they’re very selective about where they would coach (likely not Detroit) or they aren’t impressive enough to get a job (Laimbeer included).  I just don’t see Frank being gone this summer.

• Apr 12, 201312:34 pm
      by G

Yeah, I agree with that. That and the possibility that Frank takes the Rutgers job, knowing he’s likely done in Detroit in a year or 2.

• Apr 12, 201312:49 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

David Thorpe said that Drummond should pattern his game after Blake Griffin, and i was soo ready to disagree.

then he said, its because Blake Griffin plays the game like he is a hammer, and the rest of the league are nails, especially when he explodes to the rim; then I could not agree more with that thinking.

So I decided to do my own for the 22 and younger group

Monroe should study Tim Duncan – Monroe will never be the dominate player duncan was on both sides of the floor: What he can learn from Timmy: is Even though Timmy is limited in athletic ability he has a varitey of ways to score, and he is ALWAYS,ALWAYS, ALWAYS decisive.

Brandon Knight should Study James Harden - Hate or love BK everyone know he competes: what he can learn from Harden is getting to the FT line. Knight has alot of good things and bad thing about his game, but the one that I hate the most is 3.0 FT’s …

Klye Singler should Study Shane Battier – kyle is The Pistons Mr. Fundamental; what he can learn from Battier is Maximize your fundamental skills turn it into a reliable art form that makes you the glue guy

Kris Middleton should study Jimmy Butler  - Kris has come on late in the season, what he can learn from Butler is take advantage of the time given during the season, and in the off season train like you are going to start next season

Kim English(i know he is older than 22) should study James Jones - I like English we all like kim. But what he can learn: Is be a specialist Jones use to try to do too much as a Pacers. Master your shot in the NBA and you will be around for along time, you dont need to try to be more than what you are

Drummond should study Nikola Pekovic – We all know Drummond is a freak athlete, does thing that 6’11 270 players shouldnt do, and cant do. What he can learn From Nikola is to be Physically imtimidating, Drummond needs to become the guy no one want to match up against.

• Apr 12, 20131:40 pm
    by Wolverines23

Pistons need a coach they can look up to, and a coach who has been successful before. Someone who knows what winning is like, and can motivate the team when required. Toughness is a must. That’s why a lot of people say Laimbeer.

Coaches I’d pursue:

1. Nate McMillian – Definitely brings toughness to the table, has a knack for working with young teams and turning around franchises (Seattle, Portland). But to me what’s been missing is passion amongst the coaches who have been in Detroit the last few seasons: Michael Curry, John Kuester, L. Frank. I think they try way too hard to be a good coach and protect their image as a coach. They don’t bleed blue and red, they are not passionate about being a Detroit Piston, representing the city and state, and working together as a team and improving each and everyday. McMillian I feel could bring that. His flaws would be that he hasn’t had too much playoff success.

2. Stan Van Gundy – He’s been to the NBA finals with the Magic (who I never really thought had a chance), he also lost to the Pistons 4-3, as head coach of the Miami Heat. I’ve always felt that he’s needed stars like Wade, Shaq, Howard to win but every team who has ever won has either developed players to win or just simply had great players. I think he’s definitely an upgrade to Frank, but that’s not what we are looking for (a long term coach).

3. Scott Skiles – I like him for his work with the Chicago Bulls in particular from 2004-2007, the Bulls improved their defense significantly and with Derrick Rose put up some great playoff appearances in the first round, conference semifinals, and challenged the Celtics, Pistons, and Heat. Obviously his success with the Bulls didn’t translate well with the Bucks.

4. Flip Saunders – The guy coached nearly 10 years in Minnesota, before coming to the Pistons, and winning 64 games in his first season, and started 37-5, was named head coach in the all star game. His next two were pretty good as well, but his biggest flaws have clearly been playoff success. I’m not going to count his Washington years or look too much into that. The fact is that Flip has the experience and capability to be an NBA coach and do it  at an elite level. Yes, there were rumors that he was too soft and the Pistons during his years as coach never respected him. But you don’t win 64 games and reach the NBA eastern conference finals each year without a good coach. The teams that beat us Miami Heat, Cleveland Cavs, and Boston Celtics, the heat and the celtics won the championship. The most disappointing year was the series loss to the cavs, losing 4 straight playoff games.

I’m not counting Jerry Solan/Phil Jackson (as much as I respect them as coaches, they both still are yet to succeed with a team that didn’t have hall of famers like MJ, Kobe, Shaq, Malone, Stockton). And they probably will never come coach for Detroit. Also not counting Stan Van Gundy, I’d love to see him coach, but I think he’s happy being a commentator.

My vote goes for Nate McMillian.

• Apr 12, 20132:01 pm

1. Yep
      2. Yep
      3. Skiles is a decent coach, but he wears out his welcome pretty quickly. He’s pretty abrasive, loses the players, and you have to chuck him after a year or 2.
      4. Flip has the opposite version of the same problem. Players don’t respect him. He lost cred in the locker room in Detroit & Washington. Skiles suffers from too much discipline, Flip too little. Plus I don’t see the Pistons going back & getting a guy they fired.

I agree, unlikely that Sloan, Phil or JVG (I assume that’s who you meant) come back to coaching.

• Apr 12, 20132:20 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

I wouldnt mind Avery Johnson

• Apr 12, 20132:41 pm
        by G

No. Same problems as Skiles, plus he has an annoying voice. No thanks.

After SVG, I think the Pistons should start looking at promising assistants. I have to admit, I don’t really know the assistant coaching ranks that well, but I’d rather roll the dice with a top assistant over a retread like Skiles, Flip, or Avery Johnson.

• Apr 12, 20133:08 pm
          by I HATE FRANK

Once again, I wouldnt mind Avery Johnson.

I like averys experiece, he has been on both side as a player and a coach.

He know what it feels like to win and lose, I dont consider him a retread 3 successful years in Dallas and he only had 1 full year with the Nets.

I’d like to see what he can do with a team like this….

• Apr 12, 20136:49 pm
          by I HATE FRANK

but I agree about his voice

• Apr 13, 20132:50 am
    by Gabe

Dumars should get Isiah as a coach, Lambeer and Mahron as Assistants and Dennis rodman as a defense or rebounidng coach for drummond and monroe, draft OlaDipo, and  Chauncy as a backup PG and Put the D back in Detroit, Keep the 1990s John Daly Legacy alive

• Apr 15, 20138:10 am
      by G

That sounds like a great idea. Maybe Isiah could replace Dumars as GM also when Gores eventually fires him for hiring Isiah. Rodman could expand the Pistons’ market in Korea…

Gotta keep that 1990′s John Daly legacy alive. Too many people are against self-destructive gambling, drinking and weight gain these days. Solidarity!