Jose Calderon’s family has moved from Detroit to Spain

Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

Jose Calderon and his wife, Ana, took a look at the Pistons’ second-half schedule, and they came to the same realization.

With 14 road games versus only eight home games over the final two months of the season, Calderon was going to be on the road a lot.

So after Ana and their two children moved to Detroit briefly after the Jan. 30 trade that brought Calderon to the Pistons from Toronto, his family moved back to their off-season home in his home country, Spain, a few weeks ago.

Calderon, who misses his family dearly, will join them shortly after the conclusion of the regular season April 18.

Just as Jose Calderon moving his family to Detroit was only a positive in terms of his likelihood of re-signing with the Pistons, this is only a negative. Neither necessarily means Calderon will or won’t return, but they’re indicators.

Especially in light of Calderon’s emotional return to Toronto, I wonder whether Calderon realizes more and more he has relatively no connection to Detroit. That’s not a knock on Detroit, just an acknowledgement of timing. It’s basically impossible for someone to feel the same emotions about a place he spent 7.5 seasons as a place he spent half a season. The standing ovations the Raptors fans gave him might have reinforced that difference. And if Calderon realizes how relatively little Detroit means to him, then what’s the difference between Detroit and a place like Dallas?

Perhaps Calderon has grown quite fond of playing for the Pistons, but it’s difficult to imagine those feelings match those of playing for the Raptors – especially if his family isn’t sharing the Detroit experience.

• Apr 2, 20134:12 pm
    by MNM

…and that this team sucks.

• Apr 2, 20134:42 pm
      by Clint in Flint

…and there is no way he is going to sign with the Pistons.

• Apr 2, 20134:55 pm
    by Otis

I never would have bet that he would have re-signed here. I like the trade for several reasons, but Drummond went down before the trade deadline, and I would have taken that as a cue to trade Calderon (who was probably very valuable) rather than gamble on him sticking around.

Also, I’m not salivating to bring him back or anything. He brings good stuff to this team, but he’s not a long-term answer and the team needs to put long-term answers as their top priority right now. Calderon is an afterthought.

This team does everything wrong.

• Apr 2, 20135:08 pm
    by hoophabit

Way too harsh!  It’s okay if he stays or goes.  He could be good to keep around for the right money, but will a 32 year old (next season) really be part of the next great Pistons team?  This is a transitional player no matter how it goes.

• Apr 2, 20135:16 pm
    by gmehl

Putting everything aside geez Calderon is a class act. After the poor attitudes we’ve experienced over the years from Darko, Rip (last piston seasons) to Stuckey his professionalism really is a breath of fresh air. I will go against the grain here and say that with a full pre season with Monroe and Drummond and games worth playing to win Calderon would look a lot better than what he has. Anyone with eyes can see we are in tank mode and Calderon even hinted at it a week or 2 ago. Depending on the draft i for one would love him back at the right price.

• Apr 2, 20135:30 pm
      by Revken

Agreed.  He’s clearly a class act and has a lot to contribute to our young team as a floor general.  The fact that Raptors fans love him so much says a lot about him as a player and a person.  The only FA PG out there that I would consider of similar worth is Jarrett Jack.  It would be a major step back for us to start next season without a true PG.  While Calderon has every right to consider all his options, I hope we keep him.  I think his maturity will be a major plus for us.  And if Knight can’t learn how to play the point from Calderon, then he never will.

• Apr 2, 20136:31 pm
        by MNM

I would think it’s somewhat difficult to learn to play the pointguard position from Jose, when the organization immediately tells you to go concentrate on playing a new position now.

• Apr 2, 20136:20 pm
      by Otis

I’ll give you that he seems like a good teammate and a real professional, but it’s easy to put on a happy face for like 20 games. If he was stuck here for the foreseeable future while the Titanic’s sinking, it might be a different story. You shouldn’t have to pat someone on the back for showing up and doing their job and making 8-figures.

• Apr 2, 20136:35 pm
        by MrBigShot

Agreed.

• Apr 2, 20136:53 pm
        by gmehl

“You shouldn’t have to pat someone on the back for showing up and doing their job and making 8-figures”
        I agree with you on this but its widely known around the NBA that Calderon has always conducted himself as a true professional and that is from all the losing he has experienced with the Raptors all the way through 2 seasons of trade rumours to them signing Kyle Lowry. I thought the way he outplayed Lowry for the starting PG spot as the start of the season was pretty awesome considering they brought Lowry in there to replace him. Some might say that they were shopping Calderon but i don’t believe that because anyone could see that Lowry didn’t have his measure.

Even though the chances of retaining him are slim i think its been great for the young guys on this team to have such a true professional to show them how to conduct themselves. There is nothing wrong with having transitional players on this team that might not be here when we start contending and i think a lot of people forget that the seeds of how to conduct yourself as a pro need to be planted in order to put us on the right path. Chauncey Billups had that guidance from Sam Mitchell by memory and i recall Chauncey saying it was little things like that that made him the player he eventually became. For every Chauncey out there there is 100 Darius Miles who end up out of the league with nothing to show but wasted talent.

• Apr 2, 20136:33 pm
    by frankie d

He’s gone.  Too bad cause he would be a solid asset going forward.
    One scenario:  resign calderone…draft burke…let burke play with calderone for one to two years and then trade calderone to a contender…
    Everybody wins.
    If he doesnt re-sign then they have to draft burke or carter-williams.

• Apr 2, 20136:48 pm
      by jacob

Burke

• Apr 2, 20137:15 pm
      by gmehl

Yeah I having been watching a bit of Burke throughout the tourney and have been warming towards him but only if McLemore, Porter, Oladipo and Noel are gone. I’d go for Burke over Shabazz and would only be choosing Noel to see what we could get for him (trade down).

• Apr 2, 20136:53 pm
    by Corey

He’ll resign if the Pistons offer the most money. The question is whether someone else offers enough that it’s not wortoutput bidding them.

• Apr 2, 20137:10 pm
    by haydzz

Apparently Iggy is going for free agency.. If Dumars thinks we need a defensive athletic wing on the team, maybe he should go for him

• Apr 2, 20137:20 pm
      by gmehl

If he leaves it will be for a bigger pay day so we wouldn’t get him at a good price. If we want a defensive upgrade at the wing then i’d look at Trevor Ariza first.

• Apr 2, 20137:30 pm
        by oats

Eh, Iggy might be going for long term security. I don’t know how self aware he is, but Iggy’s numbers appear to be on the decline. He’s getting a bit older, and he has to know that athleticism is a big part of his game. Sometimes guys opt out just to get the security a longer contract provides and figure they’ll make up the difference in the long run. Besides, he might think he’s getting paid but that doesn’t mean he is. I’m betting he gets overpaid, but there is a chance it doesn’t happen.

• Apr 2, 20138:02 pm
          by gmehl

Unfortunately the athlete himself is always the LAST person to realize that he is in decline. See Iverson, McGrady, Rip and so on and so on and so on. Here is Iguodala opt put story. Is he worth 50, 60, 70 or 80 million like he mentioned in the story or is he after job security?? I don’t know but with athletes usually nothing makes you feel secure like $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Apr 2, 20138:54 pm
            by haydzz

By all means Joe D should be careful about how much he spends, I do know his stats are dropping but to be honest I dont care too much about his stats, I would just like to see detroit have one or two defensive players on their roster, also maybe one or two athletic wings

• Apr 3, 201311:11 am
            by G

By stats I think they also mean defensive stats. Going by advanced numbers, Iguodala’s been defensively going in the tank the last 3 years. He’d be an upgrade on D over what they have now, but Dumars would have to pay him 8 digits a year for 4 years. That’s not a good deal for Detroit.

• Apr 2, 20137:10 pm
    by Trent

Jose is 32 and loved and adored everywhere he goes. Hell he has been on our team for less than half the season and he is already one of my favorite pistons. I hope he goes to a good playoff team, from memory he has only been to the post-season once in his career. I don’t think anyone would begrudge him taking a pay cut to go to say the Bulls? the Grizz? the Warriors? Just a team that will give him a shot to back up a star and play some meaningful ball. I feel sorry for such a great player, teammate and most of all a great person being stuck on these crummy teams. I hope he leaves for his own sake.

On a side note. Could we trade our pick this year for a good proven player? I see McLemore going at no.1, which we likely wont get and apart from that there is nothing out there worth putting our time and resources in to. Noel would be one but we’re set in those positions. We are going to have cap space so why not use it in a trade with our valuable first round pick?

• Apr 2, 20138:19 pm
    by Vic

This is why you gotta draft bpa.
    Porter,Mclemore, Burke

But if they get Porter there should still be Calderon insurance available in Nate Wolters. I think he’s going to be good.

• Apr 2, 20138:47 pm
    by Mark

I dont know that this is any indicator of anything. Don’t a lot of players move back to their hometown in the offseason?

Just because his family chose to move back a few weeks early doesn’t mean anything, imo.

Even if he resigns, was he and his family going to live in Detroit all spring/summer?

They are kind of here temporarily, still undecided on the future, and probably living in an apartment. I don’t blame them for wanting to go back to their homes early.

If they had bought a house in Detroit we could say thats an indicator. The only thing this says is they aren’t decided yet.

• Apr 2, 20139:45 pm
      by gmehl

Agreed. Why commit moving to Detroit when you have had no reassurance that you will actually be retained. Yeah Joe said that he would like to keep Jose but until pen is put to paper with a contract nothing is 100%. I’d say 30-40% don’t actually live in the city they play for.

• Apr 3, 201310:29 am
      by Huddy

I can’t believe it took so long to find commentors that didn’t think this news was the end of days.  Seriously if you got a temp job with the possibility for full time would you be buying a home?  Of course it is still up in the air, I like Calderon, but if a PG is BPA in the draft he may not be a good decision to bring back.  Its not like he purchased a house in Spain to escape Detroit, his family is just going to their summer home.

When do players ever say “I’m going to play for this team regardless of what offers I am given.”  Everyone at least tests the market to see what their value is.  Some guys like Dirk and Kobe are assumed to remain on their teams, but the vast majority of players at least entertain their options.  At this point no report is going to tell us yes Calderon will stay in Detroit or no he won’t.  All the speculation about how he wants to play for a winner is just made up.  He hasn’t expressed that in an interview or shown it during his career remaining on the Raptors.  That doesn’t mean i know he doesn’t want to play for a winner there just isn’t a reason to believe we know what he is thinking.

• Apr 3, 201311:02 am
      by G

Plus, where would YOU rather be right now? Detroit? Or Espana?

• Apr 2, 20139:24 pm
    by domnick

time to draft trey burke :)

• Apr 2, 20139:46 pm
    by Eric Dates

i say if he wants to leave then let him leave, but then again by june i wouldnt be so ready to give up on Brandon Knight as the point guard of the team because he is still young and still learning…but otherwise draft trey burke, which at this point i highly doubt because Joe D will most likely go for needs at this moment which is not a PG, it is  a 2 guard

• Apr 2, 201311:01 pm
    by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Out with the old and in with the new…welcome TREY BURKE!

• Apr 3, 201312:51 am
    by Big Rick

Funny you mentioned Dallas Dan, I just had a conversation with a buddy and I said that I wouldn’t be surprised if Mark Cuban made a run at Andrew Bynum and Jose, after he went after Dwight and CP3 this offseason.

• Apr 3, 20138:55 am
    by G

You know, I was mainly expecting a bunch of “this is NOT news” comments. I should’ve known better. What a bunch of over-reactors. There are 7 games left, 3 of which are played in Detroit. I don’t think Calderon is giving us any kind of discount, but I didn’t think that before. Developing chemistry with Drummond will do more for keeping him here than his family hanging out in Birmingham or wherever.

• Apr 3, 201310:06 am
    by Robb

I absolutely say re-sign Calderon as he is our glue to our offense…

We do not need another guard unless we some how lose both Stuckey and Bynum at the same time…I say we keep B Knight for his speed and hope he learns from Calderon…

Draft needs are  Porter, Olynik or Oladipo…Replace them for the russian and Magette…Charlie V I’m undecided on keeping for his outer game and his defense…

• Apr 3, 201310:29 am
      by G

Kelly Olynyk? Why draft a backup center with a top 10 pick? And why would Porter or Oladipo replace Maggette? Either would probably come in as a starter, over either Singler or Knight. They may try Oladipo out as a SF, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

The Pistons need talent. If the best player available at their pick is a guard, they should draft a guard. Calderon is going to be 32 next year (and may not be a Piston), Stuckey will be a free agent next year (and Detroit would be wise to let him slide), and Knight hasn’t exactly impressed anyone.

Charlie V isn’t good on D, don’t know where you got that. He has shown he can be a useful player though, so I don’t think they should amnesty him unless they’re really going after someone in free agency this year.

• Apr 3, 201310:40 am
    by danny

charlie has shown to be a useful player?  what games are you watching?  dude is allergic to rebounds and cant guard a parked car.

• Apr 3, 20132:02 pm
      by G

I didn’t say build a team around him, just that he was useful. More useful than Maggette anyway.
      3/31 he got 14 pts & 5 boards in 24 min
      3/23 he got 18 & 4 in 20 min
      3/8 he got 12 & 3 in 14 min
      3/3 he got 10 & 10 in 25 min
      2/13 he got 11 & 5 in 29 min
      2/9 he got 18 & 13 in 25 min
      2/8 he got 21 & 8 in 33 min

That’s like 1 out of every 4 or 5 games. You can’t count on him at all, but he’s useful. Scoring off the bench, floor spacing, whatever. With Drummond starting, he’s probably Detroit’s best bench player, then Stuckey or Bynum.

• Apr 3, 201310:41 am
    by Robb

I retract my Olynyk comment, I thought he was a forward…As far as Maggette, unless we get a new coach too then he is out as Frank has refused to use him…I’m not saying get both Porter and Oladipo, we just need one of them…The games I have watched we have been beat because they get through our painted area, I’m just trying to protect the box a little more…

Regarding Charlie V an defense, every time both Monroe and Drummond are on the bench at the same time I have seen him step up, thats the defense I’m referring too…

• Apr 3, 201310:57 am
      by G

Olynyk could play PF (and probably should), but that’s not the point. He’s not good enough for a top 10 pick. I knew you didn’t mean Porter AND Oladipo, so that’s ok…

Charlie V’s D is more often Not There than There. Much like his overall game, actually. Most of the time he’s atrocious on D. I picked that clip because it shows him trying (and STILL failing), and it exposes why his D is bad – abominably slow feet. Sometimes he shows up and defends the post well, but his PnR defense is worse than Monroe’s (which is pretty bad).

• Apr 3, 201310:52 am
    by Wolverines23

Charlie V is awful at D. Amnesty him please.

Players I’d like to see leave this season: Will Bynum, Rodney Stuckey, Maggette, CV (everyone besides Stuckey is probably leaving, Stuckey leaves after next season unless he’s traded).

Earlier I would have put Maxiell on this list, but because now we know he won’t be starting, as a bench player he could be damn effective.

Draft: Mclemore, Porter, Oladipo, Burke

Free agents: Mayo, Iggy, Brewer, Cayman (as back up to Drummond), Nick Young, Martell Webster, Jaryed Bayless, Jeff Teague

I think if we go for a guy like Brewer and start him at the 3, and are in a position to draft Oladipo, we’d look real good. I’d also spend a few mill on Cayman and have him backup Drummond, and we would need a backup PG, unless we draft Trey instead of Oladipo, and maybe bring in Martell Webster or Nick Young in FA.

This offseason could go in so many different directions. Can’t wait to see what Joe D and the management does. I really hope we only win 2 out of the next 7 games.

• Apr 3, 201312:07 pm
      by Huddy

I’d much rather see us bring in a PF than Kaman.  With Monroe also being able to play C and Slava on the bench, we would be much more versatile with a true PF rather than another C in the mix.  Kaman might be real cheap since he is 30 and hasn’t been given great opportunity on the Mavs, but hes not really an area of need.

You are very right though this offseason, while not as exciting and full of stars as 2014 is supposed to be, has a lot of options for change.  A lot of people are worried about wasting money when next year is supposed to be so good and I get that, but looking to the future if Drummond is a max contract guy, Monroe will get paid, and whatever happens with the draft picking up role players this year might make more sense than banking on attracting another star in 2014.

• Apr 3, 201310:56 am
    by Wolverines23

I’d rather have Porter then Brewer though…

• Apr 3, 20132:31 pm
      by Huddy

I like Porter too, but I think it is less and less likely we are looking at a top 4 pick, probably 6-7 range.  That being said, Maclemore, Porter, Noel, Smart…probably not even a debate since they will be gone.  It seems to me we are looking between Burke, Oladipo, Shabazz, and Bennett.  Obviously the lottery isn’t set and we could lose out, but I think those will be who we are really looking at and I would be happy with Burke or Oladipo.  No matter what the end of this season is going to drag on with all this uncertainty.

• Apr 3, 20133:23 pm
        by G

To get McLemore the Pistons would have to win a top 3 pick, which is reasonable to expect but not extremely likely. Porter could be had with a #5 or 6 pick, depending on the breaks. Same with Oladipo.

• Apr 3, 201311:32 am
    by danny

Don’t draft Kaman how many games has he played in the last 3 or 4 years.  Dude is always injured and plus we have slava and I think he will learn how to play in the US over the summer.  Things like this take time and I know we were in a weird situation but the last 3 years we have been rebuilding properly.
    We dont need a high profile guy we just need to draft certain people and get a few key guys in FA.  I’d rather have Oladipo and brewer than porter and someone else in the  FA.  I think guys this year are going to get way over paid.  Mayo is a good player but without having the ball in his hands at all times he is not as good as people think.
    Look when dirk was out mayo was looking like a poor mans kobe.  Now with dirk back he is not as effective.

• Apr 3, 20131:12 pm
      by G

Is Kaman projected as a lottery pick? Didn’t know that…

• Apr 3, 201311:47 am
    by Nick

I think I would roll with Oladipo over Porter. The energy alone that Oladipo brings would be contagious on our team. He is just a straight up beast and already has a NBA body. His defense will help from day one. I just can’t go another season watching Knight getting abused at SG. Would love Brewer at Sf over Porter. I don’t have a problem with Porter I just don’t think he is top 5 talent. Top 10 yes but not top 5.

• Apr 3, 201311:58 am
      by danny

We think a like.  I think Oladipo would handle most two guards and shut them down.  He also has the ability to hit the open shot and handle the rock which will take pressure off knight.

• Apr 3, 201312:24 pm
        by Nick

Yeah I would rather take Oladipo than give Mayo a max contract. Brewer would not demand a max contract and if Calderon come back at a decent price we still got cap space for more complementary players. Then we can move Knight to 6 man .

• Apr 3, 20133:07 pm
    by DG

If we are lucky enough to draft Burke, I think we should shop Knight for a second draft pick.  Utah?  Knights too short to put next to Burke and not worry about the perimeter defense.  I think Stuckey is a better fit and he wouldn’t have to handle the ball all of the time.  Then if we get a second lottery pick for Knight we might be able to go after a wing like Robinson.

With our free agent money we might be able to retain Calderon and go after Mayo as long as neither become too expensive.  I wouldn’t break the bank for either one since Calderon especially wouldn’t be part of a long term solution.

Then we’d have Calderon/Burke at PG, Mayo/Stuckey at SG and Singler/Robinson at SF.  Include Monroe and Drummond and that should be enough to make the payoffs happen while developing young players.  The rest of the bigs could sort themselves out.  I’m not really a fan of Maxiell, Villanueva or Jerebko.  i’d probably lean towards keeping Villanueva just because he provides a different dimension (3 point shooting).

I think Knight has potential, but I think Burke is already more of a point guard than Knight will ever be.  I see him more as a scoring threat coming off the bench.  I wouldn’t get too upset to swap Knight and Stuckey in the above scenario either.  But one of them probably needs to go.

• Apr 3, 20133:47 pm
      by G

Went over this before, but you know Stuckey is only an inch taller than Knight, right? Add in the fact that Stuckey’s offensive game doesn’t mesh with Burke’s AT ALL, and I like Knight better next to Burke than Stuckey. Burke’s height shouldn’t be too much of a problem on D since the average PG is 6’2″ and the tallest starter is 6’4″ (Burke is 6’1″-ish).

Have Knight hit the weight room this off-season & pack on 10 lbs of muscle. His D is already better than Stuckey’s, a little muscle will help him out when bigger players try to post him up.

If the season ended today, I think Utah would be picking 17th. In a weak draft, I’m not too excited by the players there & don’t think that’s good value for Knight.

• Apr 3, 20136:06 pm
    by danny

You know whats funny is when people complain about height of players.  I’m sure ben wallace heard that as well as sir charles.  If a player can play height really doesnt matter.  There are plenty of players that dont fit the mold and were over looked throughout their career.