Hosting Philadelphia 76ers

Essentials

• Teams: Philadelphia 76ers (33-47) at Detroit Pistons (28-52)
  • Date: April 15, 2013
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

The city of Philadelphia certainly didn’t get what it was hoping for this season. Whether it’s the Eagles or the 76ers, things just didn’t pan out as anticipated.

Both the football and basketball teams collected a little talent and had hopes of competing in the postseason and making some noise. But unfortunately for the Philadelphia faithful, it just wasn’t meant to be.

Although they were aided by the injury of Derrick Rose, the 76ers still participated in the second round of the 2012 playoffs.

In the offseason they traded the face of the franchise in Andre Iguodala and brought back Andrew Bynum. The former Laker center was supposed to turn them into a contender.

No one in the Eastern Conference would have been able to match with Drew. His size and skill were simply far too imposing. And yet, when we fast-forward to the present, it seems as though the team has imploded.

Doug Collins is reportedly stepping down at season’s end and the city of Brotherly Love still has yet to see Bynum play for them. The big man has been injured all season and is scheduled to become a free agent at the conclusion of the 2012-13 campaign.

Now that Collins is apparently headed out the door, he will stop being part of the blame game. His jump shot offense is about to become a thing of the past.

The drawback should be evident mind you: the present and future of the Sixers is incredibly cloudy.

Anticipating their next moves has become a risky proposition. The only thing we know for sure right now is they have a game tonight against the Pistons at the Palace.

And well, that’s not exactly a ringing endorsement now is it?

Read about the 76ers

Hoop 76.

• Apr 15, 20137:47 pm
    by gmehl

So the game plan for the rest of the season is simple:
    1) Play good tonight against Philly then lose at the end
    2) Play good against Brooklyn then lose at the end
    3) Sacramento win tonight against OKC (Unlikely but you never know)
    4) Sacramento win against Clippers (as they rest CP3 and Griffin)
    5) New Orleans win against Dallas
    6) We win the coin flip against New Orleans
    7) We end up with decent odds to pick in the top 5
    8) We actually get something worth while to end this miserable season

• Apr 15, 20137:50 pm
      by Sloppy Joseph

I have a feeling Trey Burke will be around when we pick regardless.  I know he is a hometown guy and is overrated by us, but I think he can be something really special.

I’d love to see the pistons end the season on a 5 game streak.

• Apr 15, 20138:08 pm
        by oats

I think this draft is going to be strange because there doesn’t seem to be any consensus on the draft. I’ve seen some people with a top 3 rating on Burke because they have him as just being better than Smart. That sounds like the kind of puzzling move the NBA tends to make in years like this. Think Jan Vesely at 6. Just a weird decision. If there isn’t one really confusing move in the top 7 of the draft I’d be shocked.

• Apr 15, 20138:15 pm
          by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Dario Saric could slip into the top 10 according to Chad Ford…until I saw that earlier today I didn’t even know who that guy was which says a lot about this draft. After the top 12-15 are off the board, there’s gonna be a lot of “who’s that” in this draft

• Apr 15, 20139:36 pm

Jan Vesely was taken about where he was projected. I never understood the hype on him, but remember being terrified that the Pistons would basically get stuck choosing between Vesely and Walker (they were my least favorite of the top prospects).

• Apr 15, 201310:04 pm
            by oats

Yeah, I hated Vesely that year so I still think of it as really puzzling despite it being expected. Fine, I’ll concede the point. Think of Tristan Thompson at 4 and before Valanciunas.

• Apr 15, 20138:12 pm
        by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

New Orleans would probably pick Burke if they go before us in the draft and Burke has good workouts. They need a center, small forward and point guard so they would go best available with those positions and after Porter, Smart and McLemore are gone that leaves Burke right for the taking…hopefully I’m wrong

• Apr 15, 20138:20 pm
          by Sloppy Joseph

Should be an interesting off-season all around from the draft to Free Agency to addressing Frank and  Dumars’ situations.  I cant wait to see what happens

• Apr 15, 20138:23 pm
          by oats

If they do, I’d be open to trading Knight for Greivis Vazquez. Knight gives them some insurance for the Eric Gordon injuries as well as a 6th man, we get a starting point guard that they would be planning to replace with Burke. I could also see them doing something dumb like drafting Zeller, Len or Muhammad.

• Apr 15, 20138:41 pm
            by Blocks by Dre

Greivis has horrible perimiter defense (see Calderon) which is why Monty and the Hornets/Pelicans want to go in another direction. If you look at his assist numbers they look great, but when he went out with an injury, Brian Roberts came in and averaged just about as many assist as a starter and he even had a game where I think he had 15 assist. Vazquez will probably ask for more money than he’s worth because of his inflated numbers and for that reason i much rather us go for Burke or in another direction

• Apr 15, 20139:25 pm
            by oats

Vasquez has another year on his contract, so I’d worry about his contract then. I’m not even certain I’d want him back if he demands too much, but he at least can serve as a stop gap for a year, and potentially longer if his contract isn’t that long. I don’t see Greivis as a long term answer though. Obviously I’d prefer Burke, but this scenario only makes sense if Burke is unavailable anyways. I’d prefer him to MCW, and he gives insurance in case Calderon doesn’t come back.

• Apr 15, 20139:25 pm
            by oats

contract is that bad*

• Apr 15, 20139:26 pm
            by oats

isn’t that bad* I don’t know what’s up with these typos.

• Apr 15, 20137:48 pm
    by Sloppy Joseph

I’m gonna have to say no on the whole headband idea Andre…

• Apr 15, 20138:09 pm
      by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Yeah well he agrees cause he took it off after the first 3 minutes lol

• Apr 15, 20138:22 pm
    by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Dre changed his shoes and took his headband off…Dre turning into a NBA diva right before our eyes! I’m so proud of that man! You go Dre! (Sniff)

• Apr 15, 20139:28 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Bynum is so selfish!

• Apr 16, 20131:03 am
      by duke

I would expect that from you, did you go to highschool with BK or something? You defend him like a sidekick.

• Apr 15, 20139:33 pm
    by icantfind

o’men please stop winning !!!

kings&wolves gonna win today

go go go sixers and wizards

• Apr 15, 20139:37 pm
    by icantfind

*gonna lose

my mistake

• Apr 15, 20139:44 pm

Wolves still have a shot. Although, it only matters if the Pistons manage to end the season on a 5 game win streak. Kings are getting blown out.

• Apr 15, 20139:54 pm

Seriously? All four games going the wrong way? So not cool.

• Apr 15, 20139:42 pm

Atta boy Drummond. Turn that ball over. Come on sixers, you can get this one yet.

• Apr 15, 20139:47 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I haven’t spoke highly of Maxiell all season but he is easily the best dressed pistons I’ve seen all year

• Apr 15, 20139:52 pm
      by Sloppy Joseph

He’s gotta divert the focal point from his ugly ass face

• Apr 15, 20139:54 pm
    by Sloppy Joseph

Bynum has always been my favorite Piston.  While I will honestly be sad to see him go, he has been putting on a show every night lately, and I have enjoyed seeing him do his thing.

• Apr 15, 20139:57 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Pistons 4 game win streak GREAT! SMH

• Apr 15, 201310:37 pm
      by Russell

I hope you get a neck ache from s’ing your h

• Apr 15, 201310:07 pm
    by gmehl

Yep now we have to sit and hope for a miracle that the lottery gods work in our favor or hope that Charlotte, Orlando, Cleveland, Phoenix, New Orleans, Sacramento and maybe even Washington screw up there picks like we always do. I must be honest I kinda feel like we have been kicked in the nuts by these last couple of wins. We might’ve just lost 3 or spots in the draft. It’s like the team has said f**k you Detroit Piston fans :-)

• Apr 15, 201310:09 pm
    by D_S_V

If I were a season ticket holder there would be feces in USPS priority packages shipping to all Pistons management (in exchange for the DUMP they took on the 2012-2013 season and topping it off with a 4 game win streak to close the year and kill our shot at more talented talent).

• Apr 15, 201310:11 pm
    by oats

Monroe looked good… Yeah, I’m having a hard time not being ticked at this one. The first couple wins didn’t really bother me much, but this tendency to pick up wins when the team should clearly be tanking is really dumb. Brooklyn’s got nothing to play for, so this streak could easily go to 5 wins. They could end up tied for 8th worst record, and if they lose the flip that means they probably get the 9th pick. Just awful.

• Apr 15, 201310:11 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

We’ve done the same thing over the last 3 years…

Anyway back to watch Defiance

• Apr 15, 201310:12 pm
    by Venice

Man, I think Joe D. is out of the office. When a reporter asked Gores about Joe D, he was listening at first but disregarded it after hearing if he has absolute trust in him.

• Apr 15, 201310:27 pm
    by Reaction

Great job Pistons. When teams start to tank so they can increase their draft odds, the Pistons decide hell why don’t we start winning. Smart move

• Apr 15, 201310:51 pm
      by Edgar

Seriously. How many more years are we going to win 25-30 games and get the 7-9th spot in the draft? Treadmill of meh-diocrity.