Greg Monroe receives Most Improved Player vote

Greg Monroe received a second-place vote in Most Improved Player voting – Paul George won the award – and, while it’s appreciated when the Pistons receive national recognition, the choice is a little surprising. Here’s what I wrote when Monroe received a Most Improved Player vote in an ESPN panel:

Monroe showed a more well-rounded game this year, a sign of improvement as a player. But an increased attention to the less-efficient areas of his game (ball-handling, mid-range shooting, passing) at the expense of the more efficient areas of his game (offensive rebounding, interior scoring) made him less productive.

I’d argue Monroe is a better player than a year ago simply because he can do more on the court, and assuming his rebounding and low-post skills haven’t deteriorated, that bodes well for his future. But because of his change in focus this season, Monroe produced less for his team.

There are plenty of players who meet both criteria – real improvement and increased production – who are far more deserving of the award.

Many award voters make their picks public. Did anyone see someone declare a second-place vote for Monroe?

• Apr 23, 20132:38 pm
    by G

This is like Jeter winning all those gold gloves – makes no sense.

• Apr 23, 20133:12 pm

If it was the same person who gave Jordan Crawford a first place vote for 6th man, that person’s ballot should be revoked.

• Apr 23, 20134:04 pm
      by G

Monroe fell in almost every statistical category (including a 2.5 drop in PER), there was practically no improvement in his defense, and his slow adaptation to the PF role delayed Drummond’s move to the starting lineup. How is that Most Improved-worthy?

• Apr 23, 20134:08 pm

Ummmm, my comment was clearly implying that Monroe should not get any MIP votes, just as Jordan Crawford should not have received any for 6th man.

Although, on the latter count, I wonder if somebody just got mixed up between the different Crawfords. That would actually be pretty hilarious.

• Apr 23, 20134:16 pm
          by G

Sorry, I should’ve been more clear. I was posting that in agreement with you. Or agreeance, whichever you prefer. I’m assuming the guy DID mix up the Crawfords, because many of these voters are MORONS.

• Apr 23, 20134:07 pm
      by G

It’s like the dude let his dog vote for him or something.

• Apr 23, 20133:23 pm
    by Big Rick

I second that G, I think quite a few people just look at the stats in trying to decipher Moose’s game. Basically stayed the same as last year with a slight increase in turnovers, and a decline in FT & FG percentages. I didn’t check but it didn’t seem like he hit as many steals or deflection as he did last year either. His overall efficiency seemed to dip a little, maye due to higher usage rate than previously. I think a case could be made for him regressing a little vs improving this past season. I think he can become an All-Star if he does 3 simple things.
    1. Work on his jumper and don’t hesitate to shoot in games.
    2. Play defense with at least 1/2 the effort and intensity that he displays on the offensive end.
    3. Get aggressive, STAY aggressive on both ends of the floor. (May sound repetitive, but I can’t stress how key this is in our success and him developing)
    I would be happy with 2 of the 3 but if he focused on all 3 this upcoming season he will either be an All-Star and/or leading us to the playoffs. I’m just saying.

• Apr 23, 20134:09 pm
    by Ryank

Last year he could have gotten the vote, but this season he didn’t improve much if any.  His jumper was such a disappointment.  Keith Langois on pistons.com made it sound like his jumper at 15 feet had become automatic…

Drummond for MIP next season?  I hope so.  A few post moves and over 65% from the free throw line might make him the talk of the league.

• Apr 23, 20134:23 pm
      by G

Langlois is on the Pistons payroll and can be a bit of a slappy sometimes.

Monroe took 0.4 shots per game from 10-15 feet this year & shot 33%, 2.0 shots from 16-23 ft and shot 31%. So yeah, not exactly automatic.

For reference, Duncan takes about 6 shots total from those distances, shooting 45%. Pau was similar until this year, and Marc is deadlier, taking roughly 5 shots from there & hitting 49% of them. Monroe has a ways to go.

• Apr 23, 20137:22 pm

You’re talking about him almost doubling his FT%. That’s highly improbable.

• Apr 24, 20133:37 am
        by Tom Y.

When it’s that low to begin with, and it being mostly a mental issue, and with him being so young, I think it’s quite possible. I’d actually claim it’s more possible to go from 37% to 65% than from 80% to 90%.

• Apr 24, 20138:15 am
          by G

Agree. It’s a lot easier to go from a crappy FT shooter to merely bad. I’d be happy with 55% or better, and I think it’s entirely doable. Probably the #1 thing Drummond should work on this summer, that & his footwork.

• Apr 23, 20137:28 pm
    by Big Rick

He has solid form, just need to polish it up a bit and gain a little confidence shooting FTs.

• Apr 23, 20138:32 pm

I’ve never heard of a bit of polish and confidence raising someone’s FT% by 30%. Do you realize how huge that number is?

• Apr 24, 20138:16 am
        by G

Again, since the reason his FT% is so low is probably some kind of mental block, confidence probably WOULD raise his FT% by 20 or 30.

• Apr 23, 20139:43 pm
    by domnick

does he need to win most improved player award? he has alot on his plate than the MIP..

he should focus on next season.. getting to the playoffs… he will eventually improved… his production is already good right now… he just needs to lead..

• Apr 23, 201311:46 pm
    by Serge

guys don’t be harsh like that.. there just a yr late to realise the improvement that greg monroe has made.
    that means next yr Drummond is gonna be ROY X-D

• Apr 24, 20137:48 am
    by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Finally, the jury is out on Monroe! He’s no longer the most overrated player anymore

• Apr 24, 20138:18 am
      by G

That’s not what “the jury is out” means.

• Apr 24, 20139:12 am
        by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

People like him, people like myself think he’s overrated. The “jury is out” means there’s no agreement, so tell me, where am I wrong here? Does EVERYONE like Monroe? If not then get off my back

• Apr 24, 20131:57 pm

Saying “finally, the jury is out” never makes sense. One may say “the jury is still out” because people have yet to reach a consensus. But you don’t go from a consensus to a jury being out.

• Apr 24, 20132:03 pm
            by G

That too.

• Apr 24, 20139:13 am
        by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

For a while it seemed like EVERYONE loved him, now he’s finally getting exposed, so he’s no longer what Dumars would consider a sacred cow which means….the jury is out

• Apr 24, 20139:25 am
          by G

People like him or don’t like him, but we know what he is. The jury isn’t out. He’s a solid offensive player, rebounder and a good passer who needs a mid-range shot and to learn to play defense. That’s the book on Monroe. If you’re using “the jury’s out on Monroe”, what you’re effectively saying is we don’t know if he’s good or not. That’s not the case, Monroe has been pretty consistent.

There’s also pretty much a consensus that he shouldn’t have garnered any attention for most improved, since he didn’t really improve.

• Apr 24, 20139:36 am
            by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

For me, the jury is still out on a few things:

1. Can he and Drummond co exist
            2. Is he a building block for this team

Before the season, everyone including myself was excited about Monroe paring with Dre, but now there are some, including me, that think it might not work out which brings me to my second question above.

and if you want to add a third question,  it’s can Moose p,ay at the 4 and be good at it?

• Apr 24, 20139:51 am
            by G

That’s different then. If what you’re saying is the jury is still out on Monroe at the 4, then yeah it is, but initial results are promising. Check his splits the last 10 games playing with Drummond.

Is he a building block for this team? Absolutely. He’s currently the best player on the team. I don’t think he could be the best player on a contender, but he’s easily a #2 or #3 guy. I’d consider that a building block.

• Apr 24, 20139:39 am
    by jerrific

Monroe has to be the first player to recieve a vote for this award based purely off of preseason speculation that he would be deserving of it.

• Apr 24, 201311:23 am
    by Domnick

sorry blocks by dre… monroe can play the 4 and has the offseason to work on things to make him an effective 4.. right now monroe showed promises… he can dominate and score…. jumpshots or not… he can still be effective with drummond…

the key right now is… Drummond to show more next season….. if drummond has shocked everyone already… then next season is another step forward… things he need to improve is post-up game and hitting better ft percentage… monroe will get better if drummond also gets better… tandem rocks!

• Apr 24, 201311:23 am
    by Huddy

I definitely don’t think Monroe deserves any MIP votes, but I think his slight dip in most stats has to do with drawing more attention after a break out year with no real help added to the team.  After a good sophomore year he came back to a team playing next to Maxiell who draws no defensive pressure away and spent a good chunk of the season without Tayshaun on the team who was a lot more of a defensive draw than Singler.  I get that he played with Maxiell last year as well, but after having such a good year I think teams are keying in on Monroe even more since he was showing that he deserves the most pressure and since we are lacking talent around him its easy for teams to key in on him even more, which could be contributing to a drop in FG%, TOs, lack of open jumpers, etc.  I like what I saw the last 10 games (besides draft position drop) so I think we can expect more from Monroe when he joins a better front unit.  Defense is the biggest question for him.