Tom Gores wants to ‘go for it’ this summer with Pistons’ cap space

Ryan Field of Fox Sports Detroit:

In regards to #Pistons upcoming summer of cap space, owner Tom Gores told me he wants to “go for it”.

Tom Gores has given no reason to doubt his dedication as Pistons owner. However, in the short time since he bought the franchise, he hasn’t proven a willingness to spend. That’s no knock on Gores. It’s just the reality of a limited window to assess him.

I thought Gores would spend money this summer, but it was always possible the Ben Gordon-Corey Maggette trade and Tayshaun Prince-Jose Calderon trade were just about trimming the Pistons’ long-term salary obligations. Until Gores spends, he hasn’t spent.

So, it’s encouraging to hear Gores indicate he’ll spend in The Summer of Truth. It might be wise to wait until 2014, especially if the Pistons miss on their top targets, but there’s something admirable about an owner willing to ‘go for it’ as soon as possible.

• Mar 10, 201310:15 pm
    by Reaction

I hope the Pistons don’t go out n over spend / do anything too drastic. The 2014 draft is loaded with talent especially the likes of Wiggins, Parker, and Randle. Not to mention sooner or later we will have to resign Monroe and the others

• Mar 11, 201311:26 am
      by Huddy

The pick we traded to the Bobcats gets less and less protected so I think (not completely sure) next year it is only top 8 protected.  I’m not sure we should be hoping or expecting to be that bad next year so the draft shouldn’t be a main goal.  This year has been pretty bad and were are only in that 8th range.  Even if we had a high pick there it would be on a rookie contract for 3-4 years which is a long time for other players to expire or be moved.  We definitely shouldn’t over spend on anyone, but not because of next years draft.

• Mar 11, 201311:43 am

yeah, that was a bad trade, but no need to waste what little was gained from it by not capitalizing on the space this summer.

• Mar 10, 201310:33 pm
    by Mark

Watching this miserable roster plod around in LA, this is welcomed news. Because if they don’t go for it, and have to watch another year of this, they might as well contract the Pistons. I don’t know how much more I can watch of this team play like this.

• Mar 10, 201310:48 pm
    by jinzzy

jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! knight just got killed LOL

• Mar 10, 201310:49 pm
    by haydzzz

Save the cap… nobody any good would want to come to us this season at a reasonable price. The summer after maybe, hopefully we are better coz this season we are embarrassing.

• Mar 10, 201310:53 pm
    by NickB

I hope he’s reasonable about going for it. The free agent market is not looking great for us, and we have no idea how the draft will turn out. If he pushes, he might force Dumars into another situation like ’09, where we overspend on mediocre players and screw our salary cap. We have to be smart about this.

• Mar 10, 201311:18 pm
    by Haan

Sounds like a set up, but one that Dumars has maneuvered himself into.  When you give up a 1t rounder to divest yourself of Gordon’s salary a year early, you’d better have something good to show for it, soon.  Summer of truth indeed.  Either Gores’ naive about the likelihood of a big summer score or he’s demanding accountability from Dumars in accord with the time frame created by the Gordon trade.  Or maybe he just has an inside track on great trade possibilities that I don’t know about!

• Mar 10, 201311:25 pm
    by deusXango

Sounds to me like Mr. Gores is for re-signing Calderon, and going all out for a player like Josh Smith (regardless what our “fans” say about nobody wanting to come here) to making a blockbuster trade for an Aldridge…I don’t get the feel that he’s talking about repeating CV and Gordon. I fully expect an impact player or two to join Drummond on next years team. I got faith in the home team.

• Mar 11, 201311:04 am
      by Huddy

I don’t think people who are skeptical about all stars wanting to sign with Detroit are not “fans”.  Its got nothing to do with faith or home town pride.  It is just a fact of the NBA that big market teams pull in big names.  That doesn’t mean the Pistons can’t sign any talent.   Personally I don’t think Josh Smith is a good fit for the Pistons especially on the contract he thinks he deserves, but I think he would come here if we paid him its just that he isn’t worth that.  Fans can be honest and realize Lebron is never going to have a special on ESPN about making his free agent signing with Detroit without being unfaithful.

• Mar 11, 201312:15 am
    by Chris N.

“However, in the short time since he bought the franchise, he hasn’t proven a willingness to spend”

The Pistons bought out Rip Hamilton’s contract, hired Lawrence Frank as a coach, resigned Stuckey and and Prince to healthy contracts and spent on renovations to the Palace.   I agree that we haven’t seen the Pistons spend lavishly on free agents, but I don’t think that its accurate to say we haven’t seen Gores willing to spend money.

The question that I, and I think many on this site, want to see is how much he’s willing to spend when it means the difference between his staying mediocre and turning the corner towards legitimacy.

• Mar 11, 201310:49 am
      by sebastian

Chris N., you’re right about Gores already spending money, but WE are far from mediocrity during the two years since his purchase of the team.
      Since the start of the last year’s Lockout-shorten season, OUR Pistons are 44-87 (.335).

• Mar 11, 201310:54 am

Ugh. Enough with the ‘we’ and the ‘our.’ YOU do not own or play for the Pistons. YOU watch THEM.

• Mar 11, 201311:23 am

This is one of the super annoying things that is so common amongst fans that it’s gotten to the point that I would rarely consider it a battle worth picking.

But I fully agree with you and am happy to see someone else objecting to such terminology.

• Mar 11, 20131:31 pm
          by sebastian

WE, OUR, US!!!

• Mar 11, 20132:19 pm

To quote Barry Obama, “You didn’t build that!”

• Mar 11, 20133:12 pm
            by sebastian

To quote the late, Rodney King: Can’t we all just get along?

• Mar 11, 20136:44 am
    by Vic

Go for what? Go for who? That’s the question…

Paul Millsap? Tyreke Evans? That’s about it for me…

• Mar 11, 201311:32 am

Go for Howard and Paul. Neither will end up in Detroit, but if Joe doesn’t do his utmost to try to convince them to, that will be totally unacceptable.

Millsap is probably the best realistic target, though. Reke is nothing more than a solid role player. but because of his high draft position and excellent rookie year, he will be overpaid. Stay away.

• Mar 11, 201311:38 am

Also, i have no idea what Kevin Martin might go for. I’m not in love with the idea of Martin, but if he could be had at a decent price, he’s a guy who specializes at scoring in the efficient ways (threes and free throws).

• Mar 11, 201312:47 pm
        by Huddy

I really like Martin at the right price.  I think everyone that gets mentioned Martin, Mayo, Evans, Milsap, all of these guys can be good signings at the right price.  Most of the arguments against them is that they will be too expensive.  The new CBA might have quite an influence on what these guys can get on the FA market so someone may surprise us.  I don’t think I would be terribly unhappy with any of them as long as we don’t over pay and there is no reason to at this point.  With so much focus over the past couple of years on teams making cap room for players like Dwight and CP3, we should be able to get a bargain on one of the next tier guys.  Dallas is gearing up for a big move so they won’t throw a lot at Mayo, Tyreke is in an awful situation in Sacramento between Cousin’s foolishness and the team sale, there are a lot of factors that make me think atleast one of these guys could come at a good price.

• Mar 11, 20139:39 am
    by TheDoctor

We may have around 16 to 20 million or so to play with in 2014. Most will go to moose, but if anyone thinks we are going to go after a couple big names that year it’s silly.  Melo, lebron and all the big names that may end up being free agents won’t come here.
    Only chance I see we have is danny granger Or a restricted player like Bledsoe if we need a pg still.

My guess is they want josh smith and oj mayo this summer while keeping jose. Also if we save our money we would sign Jose and then dump 16 million or so into one year deals.
    Getting smith and mayo would help raise our talent level a lot more than what it is now. I think that would be a big step forward by doing that. Even though its not the dream scenario it would give us a very good young core

• Mar 11, 201311:42 am

Smith only if he could be had in the $11-13M/yr range. Mayo if he can be had in the $7-8M/yr range.

Otherwise, the Pistons are just putting bad contracts on the books. That won’t help at all. Better to sit on some cap space and offer some to mediocre role players in the form of a big signing bonus with a low per annum rate.

• Mar 11, 201311:26 am
    by brgulker

The Rip buyout suggests he’s willing to spend.

• Mar 11, 201311:31 am

I mean … not really. Didn’t he save money in the long run by buying him out?

• Mar 11, 20131:40 pm
    by Al

“Tom Gores HAVE ____”

Don’t you mean Tom Gores HAS

Wow.

• Mar 11, 20132:12 pm

Extremely minor typo is corrected. Settle down.

• Mar 11, 20138:36 pm
        by Al

Typo = misspelling of a word. What we had here was something learned at a very early age, not a typo.
        At this point I’m just questioning whether things are proof read before posted.

• Mar 11, 20139:54 pm

Wow, aren’t you a treat. To answer your question, we definitely try to eliminate mistakes, read before posting, etc. The occasional mistake slips through. BFD.

Also, proofread is one word.