This happened to poor, poor Brandon Knight tonight

The Pistons are not having a good night in L.A. (on the plus side, this should be an easy recap), but after this play from Chris Paul to DeAndre Jordan, Brandon Knight is having a less good night than any of us. It was painful to watch that from my couch, I couldn’t imagine watching it from Knight’s view.

Also, I think we need to ask the question … has Knight had the worst year on the receiving end of highlights? The Jordan clip and the Kyrie clip … man, I don’t wish those on anyone. Also, ‘RIP Brandon Knight’ is trending on Twitter. So if you’re looking for the Pistons to give up the fight and increase their possible lottery combinations, well, this West Coast trip is off to a great start for that.

• Mar 10, 201311:52 pm
    by GET WELL SUSAN

Knight worst moments come from him playing harder than anyone else… so its bitter sweet…

• Mar 10, 201311:58 pm
    by Brandon Knight

He was the only one defending! Respect for him for contesting that!

• Mar 11, 201312:05 am
    by Chris N.

I totally respect him for contesting the shot…that being said, ouch!  Going to make for an amazing looking poster.

• Mar 11, 201312:12 am
    by Lorenzo

Poor guy….a 6-3″ guy trying to block a 7 foot athletic freak; I think we would all expect that scenario to end up badly for the little guy…and it did. Brandon is going to be on the butt end of many comments nationally but honestly I give him credit for going up there for the block, with his team 20+ down, he could have easily stepped out of the way and saved some blushes…but the fact he didn’t shows me the guy works with heart and plays with pride. Kudos to the kid for not backing down against the odds.

• Mar 11, 201312:22 am
      by gmehl

Heart of a Piston might i add

• Mar 11, 20132:15 pm
        by Merwin

Agreed.  That’s something we should all remember.

• Mar 11, 201312:34 am
      by Tim

I am with you on this.  Never understood the idea that you should let them dunk uncontested to save yourself some embarrassment   Props to B knight.

• Mar 11, 201312:13 am
    by sb3

At least he tried. No one else on his team did. Monroe didn’t get on any posters, but he deserves derision for not even trying to stop Paul once.

• Mar 11, 201312:19 am
      by Chris N.

Why derision?

• Mar 11, 201312:32 am
        by sb3

Because he’s supposed to be a team leader and all he was doing was failing to do anything about anyone on defense (big reason why DJ was free as a bird to get that oop), and when he wasn’t doing that, he was whining to the refs non stop because he kept throwing up circus shots expecting to get bailed out but wasn’t. And he’s been doing this all year.

• Mar 11, 201312:53 am
          by Mrshourite

Yep!

• Mar 11, 201312:55 am
          by Chris N.

I could understand you wanting to to chastise or criticize Monroe, but deride?  Seems a bit harsh.

• Mar 11, 20131:27 am
            by sb3

Maybe it is a bit harsh, but he just pissed me off with his comments after the game. How can you criticize your team’s effort when your own was lacking? Just seemed a bit hypocritical.

• Mar 11, 201312:16 am
    by ryan

There was a photo from the Spurs game of Brandon Knight contesting Tim Duncan’s shot and I had the same thought as I do now, “Damn that kid goes hard.”

Tonight he went down hard as well. I hope he’s okay and I hope he never stops going hard.

• Mar 11, 201312:17 am
    by Scott Carter

That play pretty much sums up this season for us.

• Mar 11, 201312:18 am
    by gmehl

Notice the slow footed Monroe in the background. I really hope Moose sends Knight a get well card whilst he’s in hospital. Oh wait that’s where Moose was after MKG posturized him the other night. Also the headline for this should’ve been ‘KNIGHT’S OUT’.

Seriously though at least Brandon was there helping out Moose after he couldn’t stay with his man.

• Mar 11, 201312:19 am
    by Jay

Something I will never question is Brandon Knight’s heart and effort. He might not fully understand the point guard position just yet, but he will never give you anything short of 120% of his effort. Kudos to him. I know one play in the fourth quarter when Will Bynum was literally walking on his close out defense. He’s the one that should be getting called out, not Brandon Knight.

That being said, daaaaaaamn that shit was nasty by Jordan. This isn’t the last time we’re gonna be seeing it, i promise you that

• Mar 11, 201312:22 am
    by Brandon Knight

He should get an A++++ for contesting that dunk!

• Mar 11, 201312:33 am

Kudos to Knight’s determination. But it was a low basketball IQ moment. Not because he got posterized, nobody should worry about that. But he had no hope of stopping the play and he fouled Jordan. If you’re gonna foul, make sure to stop the shot. Otherwise you’re giving away a free point for nothing, albeit a meaningless one in a blowout like this.

• Mar 11, 201312:37 am
      by Brandon Knight

LOL Please Stop!

• Mar 11, 20131:14 am

Why? I gave Knight kudos. I like him more for that play. But it wasn’t a smart play. Are you arguing that it was?

• Mar 11, 201312:59 am
      by Chris N.

I think you’re simplifying it a bit Tarsier, Both guys leave the ground around the same time and even though Jordan has the size advantage, Brandon Knight is meeting him at the rim.  It wasn’t a given that Jordan was going to hit the dunk.

• Mar 11, 20131:13 am

What was a given was that Knight wasn’t going to steal the pass or cleanly block the dunk.

Of course it was possible that Jordan would miss. But it would have still been a foul. If you’re going to foul, make sure you stop the shot. That’s all I said.

• Mar 11, 20131:20 am

When your foul only reduced the odds of hitting the shot to “not a given”, that’s probably not a smart foul.

• Mar 11, 20135:25 am
          by maxwn

This argument ignores the fact that Deandre Jordan is an incredibly terrible FT shooter. I think there are very few circumstances where you should let Jordan get an uncontested dunk rather than try to contest it. Even if the odds of stopping the shot aren’t great, if you can increase them by even a relatively small amount, the facts that 1)He is not very likely at all to make both FTs in the miss-and-foul situation and 2)even if he makes the shot and gets the foul, he won’t make the and-1 a lot of the time. He did that time, but that doesn’t change the probabilities.

You can then try to say that Knight still should have fouled in a different way to guarantee Jordan couldn’t make the shot, but what I see in the play suggests that there was probably no way for Knight to do that, maybe short of something like trying to spear him or punch him in the nuts, which would presumably be flagrants. Actually, given the way that play went down, I’m not even sure that would have actually stopped him from dunking it.

• Mar 11, 20139:49 am

I’ll grant you that. It was just that, even as the play was first happening, it looked like there was, at best, maybe a 10% chance of stopping it. Like I said, I admire Knight’s willingness to go after that, but I would expect a more savvy veteran to realize it was time to cut one’s losses.

Trying to stop that was much ;like trying to draw a charge on LeBron. it will work once in a blue moon, but he moves so fast, it’s nearly impossible to get your feet set. And you’ll more often give up extra points than take any away.

But if you saw the play go down as something where Knight had at the bare minimum a 25-30% chance of stopping Jordan from hitting the shot, I totally get where you’re coming from.

I looked at the numbers, and, for someone who hits 41.6% of his free throws, you have to drop the odds of his hitting the shot by 26.3% to make it worth your while to foul (assuming you’re not in foul trouble or anything like that where the foul will have additional costs).

• Mar 11, 201312:37 am
    by gmehl

Maybe Knight should lend himself out as a prop for next year’s dunk contest

• Mar 11, 201312:44 am
    by sb3

No one watches that crap fest. Most boring part of all star weekend.

• Mar 11, 201312:54 am
    by Mel

I give props to Knight for being a man and someone needs to kick Monroe in his sorry ass. Dude was embarrassing tonight. I wonder about this guy sometimes. When he plays good he is good but when he plays bad boy I do not want to look. We need more guys that play with emotion. All these passive playing guys on the team is not going to get it done. Joe D like players that plays how he played. But we need more players that played like Zeke, Bill, Rodman, Rasheed, and Ben. You can get away with some guys that don’t play with emotion but those are special players. Andre is one of those players. But outside of Knight and Calderon, the rest of that funky bunch needs to go.

• Mar 11, 20131:05 am
      by Chris N.

“Joe D like players that plays how he played. But we need more players that played like Zeke, Bill, Rodman, Rasheed, and Ben.”

I think Joe likes players that can get out and play.  Tayshaun Prince said in an interview earlier this year that the Pistons need players with some grit to them, and I agree but I don’t think “grit” necessitates emotion.

Dumars was an amazingly gritty player.  That he wasn’t overly emotive when he played didn’t detract from the fact that he was one of the best players on the floor most nights.  That some of his Bad Boys teammates were more emotive than he was shouldn’t shield the fact that they had a heck of a lot of talent as well.

• Mar 11, 20131:01 am
    by george

I hope Drummond posterizes these clowns next year.  If not for Paul, the Clip would still be a joke.  Not a fan of BK’s role in our future, but too bad most of the rest of this roster lacks his heart.

• Mar 11, 20132:20 am
    by Mr Woods

I’m blaming that dunk on Monroe.  Why was Knight on him in the 1st place? Monroe is soft as hell to me & yes, I would trade him this Summer cause he has decent stock to get some talented players back for this team, plus I think he’s overrated

• Mar 11, 20133:56 am
    by Mel

Hey Chris N. Did you read “ You can get away with some guys that don’t play with emotion but those are special players.
    Joe D was special so he could get away with out showing emotion. Name which player I mentioned that had lest talent. Heck alot of guys got talent but if you don’t have something to prove or play for your just playing. Look at Kobe, Jordan, Chris Paul they play with grit and attitude. Sheed is the perfect example, he was what we needed to get us over the top. He brought attitude and that attitude provides energy. Now lets look at Stuckey, no emotion what so ever, has nothing to prove so he’s been one of the most talented below average non emotion Pistons I’ve ever witnessed. And I use to be a fan but the truth is the truth.

• Mar 11, 20136:46 am
    by Blocks by Dre

Monroe is overrated…said it before and I’m saying it again. His defense is TRASH

• Mar 11, 20136:54 am
    by Derek

I have nothing but respect for BK7 for going up with DeAndre Jordan.  There are other 7 footers who won’t do that.  I see more weight training in the offseason for  BK7.  Moments like these are going to make the kid a better player.

• Mar 11, 20137:41 am
    by Big Rick

Bottom line Monroe plays soft! Its a shame when your back court contests more shots at the rim, Knight and Stuckey then our “best player”. Nauseating!

• Mar 11, 20138:57 am
      by Blocks by Dre

Right!^^THIS!

• Mar 11, 20139:11 am
    by Jeremy

Was going to come in and argue that in reality it was Monroe and CV’s fault for watching CP3 and not Jordan. The video clearly shows it. While in essence CV was probably guarding Odom, he was the closest to Jordan when he made the break for the basket and probably should have picked him up. To be honest, I’m not sure Big Ben in his prime would have stopped that dunk – but then again, he would have stopped the vast majority before it and they would have thought twice about coming in like that because of it.
    I think in terms of being embarrassed/posterized, BK7 is officially having the worst NBA season.

• Mar 11, 20131:06 pm
    by vic

The whole thing was Greg Monroe’s fault.
    He was ball watching instead of staying with his man, he let Jordan use CV as a pick and sneak to the rim without him even knowing it.
    So then BK had to leave his man and contest a 7 foot alley oop machine.

Oh the stupidity of too much help defense. I’d go for a good old fashioned man-to-man with maybe 10% help… especially if your center is immobile and unaware on Defense.

• Mar 11, 20131:11 pm
    by matt

Yeesh. It’s entertaining and all BUT people going crazy over an awesome athletic play…that’s worth 2 points. Just like a layup. All this dunking and crossover-ing and fancy moves – who cares? It makes for a nice highlight clip, but how about celebrating smart passing and good team defense and such.

Would make for a better product for the fans. This stuff is fast food. A properly executed half court offensive set ending in an uncontested layup would be like filet mignon.

• Jun 14, 20137:47 am
    by michael kors bags

Hello?just wanted to tell you,I enjoyed this post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!