Pistons squeak out a 92-91 victory in Charlotte

Detroit Pistons 92 Final

Recap | Box Score

91 Charlotte Bobcats
Jason Maxiell, PF 22 MIN | 7-13 FG | 0-0 FT | 4 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 0 TO | 14 PTS | -3If Maxiell stops shooting so many mid range jumpers and gets to the bucket more, he shoots better? What a novel idea! I wish someone would have thought of that before!
Greg Monroe, C 29 MIN | 2-11 FG | 2-2 FT | 9 REB | 8 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 6 PTS | 0This was a tough game for Monroe. His 2-11 from the field was not a misleading stat. He forced so many bad shots against competition that he should be clearly better than (Byron Mullens, Bismack Biyombo and Josh McRoberts). His defense was average, but again, he was playing against some of the worst starting big men in the league.
Jose Calderon, PG 30 MIN | 4-8 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 6 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 11 PTS | -8Calderon had another solid night. He was good shooting from outside, but probably could’ve gotten the ball inside a bit more (he did to his teammates, but took no shots in the paint himself). He had six assists, but probably could’ve gotten more if the big men could get all of their shots to go down. His defense wasn’t great, but Kemba Walker is a hard player to stop.
Brandon Knight, PG 37 MIN | 4-10 FG | 1-2 FT | 6 REB | 4 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 5 TO | 10 PTS | 0In his first game back from his ankle injury, Brandon Knight was a disaster. He played a lot of minutes (a lot at point guard late in the game), but turned the ball over too much and shot very poorly. (16.5% from three). The only saving grace tonight for Knight was his stellar defense (see: Dan’s last post about Knight’s underrated defense).
Kyle Singler, SG 28 MIN | 2-6 FG | 2-2 FT | 7 REB | 2 AST | 1 STL | 1 BLK | 2 TO | 6 PTS | -7Singler wasn’t too involved tonight, but when he was, he didn’t shoot too well and got in foul trouble. His defense was nothing too great, but he didn’t look lost.
Charlie Villanueva, PF 20 MIN | 7-13 FG | 0-0 FT | 4 REB | 0 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 18 PTS | +7Villanueva basically split time at power forward tonight with Jason Maxiell,and did about just as well in every facet of the game except for shooting, where he was good tonight long range. Oh, also, he had a monster dunk late in the fourth quarter.
Jonas Jerebko, PF 22 MIN | 3-6 FG | 2-4 FT | 3 REB | 2 AST | 4 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 8 PTS | -2Since the Pistons gave up on their season, Jerebko has been finding himself in the rotation more, and tonight was no different. Jerebko logged solid minutes but wasn’t very involved, shooting at a mediocre percentage and getting eight points.
Khris Middleton, SF 16 MIN | 2-3 FG | 2-2 FT | 4 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 6 PTS | +10Middleton has been finding himself playing a lot since the Pistons began tanking as well. Tonight he had six points and played surprisingly well on defense, forcing a lot of misses and turnovers.
Will Bynum, PG 6 MIN | 0-1 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 0 PTS | +1Unfortunately, Will Bynum didn’t play after the 5:35 mark in the second quarter due to his lingering hand injury. He didn’t really make an impact in his six minutes on the floor.
Rodney Stuckey, PG 30 MIN | 5-8 FG | 1-2 FT | 2 REB | 8 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 5 TO | 13 PTS | +7Stuckey was expecting his minutes to go back down after Knight returned from his injury, but that was not the case. He played a lot tonight and shot well, but the best part of his game was the way he ran the offense. He has eight assists and was spreading the ball around very nicely.
Lawrence FrankFrank coached the Pistons to a win and did a nice job managing the team in crunch time, but it was against the Bobcats. It would have been nice to see Kravtsov and English log some playing time instead of Bynum and Stuckey. It was good to see him get Jerebko and Middleton some rotation time, however.

• Mar 24, 20131:13 am
    by Brandon Knight

When Brandon Knight got injured against Utah and only played 4 minutes he got a ”D+” from  Dan. However when I asked why since he got injured and didn’t have a chance to play. Patrick responded by saying:

“Grades are based on impact on a given game. A guy who barely played, missed two shots and didn’t score didn’t have any impact on the game, hence the D+. This isn’t rocket science. Even a simpleton like you should be able to figure it out.”

Ok now can you explain to me what kind of impact did will Bynum make to get a “B-”  ????

• Mar 24, 20131:52 am
      by Blocks by Dre

Man @Brandon Knight, right or wrong at least you’re consistent, and in this case I have to give it to you. I remember that conversation on here and how Patrick put you on blast for trying to figure out why Knight got a D- so a response from him should be interesting…if he even bothers

• Mar 24, 20131:53 am
        by Blocks by Dre

*+ not a -

• Mar 24, 20132:06 am

For what it’s worth, Patrick is also consistent in that he grades based on some set of expectations. For Knight, those expectations are apparently set by the Pistons brass as one of the franchise cornerstones/building blocks for the foreseeable future.

So it’s much more problematic when a guy of that caliber has virtually no impact than when a guy who is supposed to be a spark plug off the bench for the rest of this season before parting ways with Detroit has virtually no impact.

So really this is just back to an issue of unrealistic expectations for Knight, which are in fact consistent.

What I don’t get is why “Brandon Knight” is complaining. He/she appears to be the one person in the universe who believes the Detroit front office is underestimating Knight. So from that perspective, the expectations aren’t at all overblown.

• Mar 24, 20132:13 am
          by Blocks by Dre

I agree with this, but Patricks explanation doesn’t really go as in depth as yours just did. Patrick’s reasons was because Knight didn’t impact the game, and Bynum did no such thing tonight neither. If Patrick went about it and explained it like you just did then it would be fine but as quoted above that’s not how he explained it.

• Mar 24, 20137:54 am

I didn’t write this game recap. Bylines people. Come on.

• Mar 24, 20132:55 am
          by Brandon Knight

@tarsier this has nothing to do with what I said!

• Mar 24, 201310:53 am

How does it not?

You were complaining that Bynum was not graded by the same standards as Knight.

• Mar 24, 20132:10 am

Also, Patrick didn’t write the grades, but that probably doesn’t really matter because I am betting he would get behind them anyway.

• Mar 24, 20135:20 am
      by gmehl

Also Patrick is on record as a self admitted Will Bynum slappie :-)

• Mar 24, 20137:57 am

@Brandon Knight and Blocks By Dre:

I didn’t write this recap, so I’m not sure what you want me to respond to. Yeah, personally, since I didn’t have an ‘incomplete’ at my disposal since the software we use doesn’t include it (although it sounds like that is being added by the designer as we speak for those who have been asking for it), I generally give D or F to players who get injured, not to be harsh, but it just is what it is … they didn’t impact the game much if they got injured and couldn’t play.

Not every writer uses the same methods though, so you should probably bother to read the byline on a post before you start sniping down here. Also, you should probably stop commenting forever on the internet. That would be cool too.

• Mar 24, 20138:42 am
        by Blocks by Dre

Yeah definitely didn’t see the byline so I’ll admit I was wrong. My bad Patrick. Yeah you didn’t write it but you also didn’t write the last one “Brandon Knight” was referring to but were quick to explain that since Knight played a few minutes he gets a D+. Will gets a B- and plays 6 minutes and you explained that it isn’t rocket science as to why Knight got his D-. Not sure what ‘Brandon Knight’s” motives were but I just wanted your opinion on why you agree (if you do) with the grade that Will got. That was, of course, until I just seen  that Dan didn’t write this.

• Mar 24, 20139:15 am

I don’t agree with Bynum’s grade in this post, but this also isn’t like a school grading scale. Each writer probably has different biases or criteria they use, and this particular instance is a good example of us probably needing to have a bit more discussion about a uniform criteria that we all agree on and use. If Bynum played only six minutes and didn’t make a shot, there’s no way he had any impact on the game.

In fact, I’d love to do away with letter grades entirely and just use numbers or something, but I’m not the designer of the tool we’re using, so I can’t make that call. Letter grades are useful to me because you can roughly assign something that everyone is familiar with to evaluate a performance. Unfortunately, I think what happens, is people are way way way too sensitive to actual letter grades. We use them as a simple evaluator and people immediately go back to being in high school hating some a-hole teacher who gave them a C- when they thought they deserved a B. Letter grades might be a bit too polarizing. Honestly, my advice to everyone would be to focus way, way more on what is actually written about the player in these recaps than the letter grade. For me, the letter grade is an afterthought, trying to summarize what I’ve written. The important part is the actual content or explanation.

• Mar 24, 201312:28 pm
            by G

I know I keep bringing this up, but how’s that sh– pie graphic coming along?

• Mar 24, 20131:26 am
    by Aj

I think Moose grade should be a bit higher. Yes he took bad shots this game but he did a good job at setting up teammates and rebounding. I think he should get a C- at least. Loved seeing Bk7 back though

• Mar 24, 201312:29 pm
      by G

^Agree. His shot wasn’t falling for some reason, but he was probably the Pistons best passer last night. He found Charlie V for some key buckets in the 4th.

• Mar 24, 20134:00 pm
      by TRJ

Well a big part of the reason his shot wasn’t falling was that he was regularly being double/tripple/quadruple teamed. He did a pretty good job of dealing with that, with an 8-to-1 assist to turnover ratio. He also managed (nearly) a rebound every three minutes… (I agree, it should be higher)

Not sure about Frank’s grade either, seems like he did well enough this time out. He’s getting docked for playing two of his three best guards a combined 36 minutes? And 30 of those went to Stuckey who was the best player out there according to these grades – he should have had fewer minutes? I’m confused, are these grades based on wins or losses as the desired result? And what does playing them have to do with Kravtsov anyway?

I have to say, I think I prefer the older game recaps. There’s not a lot said in these beyond what you can see in the box score, and the letter grades are apparently not meant to be worth much (see Patrick’s comment above.)

• Mar 24, 20131:44 am
    by Javell

bk7 needs to attack thebasket wayy more.. He settles for wayy to many jumpers to me! Irritating!!!

• Mar 24, 20131:59 am
    by Blocks by Dre

Saying Jose Calderon’s defense wasn’t great is an understatement and pretty much sums up his time here on that end of the floor. However, I can’t ignore the fact Knight did finish with 7 TO’s so for now there definitely shouldn’t be a changing of the guards at the PG spot…you know…if we want to win, but who really wants that these days?

• Mar 24, 20138:52 am
      by Blocks by Dre

*5 TO’s

I think I got him and Trey Burke’s TO’s yesterday mixed up somehow

• Mar 24, 20132:08 am

Is there any way to block these Excedrin/Vegas ads from filling up half the screen without hitting the x on them every single time I open a new article or post a comment on this site?

• Mar 24, 20132:30 am
    by D_S_V

Charlie V… impressive. He even manages to negatively impact Detroit’s long term outlet three years after signing his disaster of a contract. If you don’t think the Pistons benefit a whole lot more from a top 5 pick than a top 10 pick, please put me in contact me with your dealer.

• Mar 24, 20133:49 am
    by Jay

Something funny I just noticed….Miami’s win current win streak is longer than the amount of games we’ve won all year… :/

• Mar 24, 20138:49 am
      by Blocks by Dre

To say that we’re garbage would be sugar coating how we really are the way we been playing lately. When Charlie V saves the day you know we ‘re in trouble

• Mar 24, 20138:47 am
    by Blocks by Dre

I think we can all agree that hopefully next year, we don’t have a team sorry enough to root against when playing the Bobcats and with the money we have to spend this summer and a hopeful top 5 draft pick, this should all be a thing if the past real soon. Still might need a new coach down the line but other than that we have players to at least start building around.

• Mar 24, 20139:49 am
    by Big Rick

Maybe it’s a by product of our horrendous season, but this site is becoming sort of a drag. Come on fellas liven up!

• Mar 24, 201312:32 pm
      by G

People spend a lot of time bitching. Bitching about the grades, the team, the moronic comments… I agree, but it’s a rough season, so I don’t have an answer for you.

• Mar 24, 201312:35 pm
    by G

Getting into a tanking mindset effs up a fan base.

• Mar 24, 201312:55 pm
      by oats

Rooting for losses really sucks. With the draft and free agency coming up I’d like to think the team can fix that by next year. I want to get back to rooting for wins.

• Mar 24, 20131:09 pm
    by Herman Neutic

If the discussion is about impact on the game, we should include Ben Gordon. Practically single handily, he out tanked the Pistons by shooting 1 for 7 with three turnovers in 15 minutes. Gordon’s technical in the waning minutes was brilliant and turned out to be winning margin.

• Mar 24, 20132:15 pm
    by tim

weird that JJ is said to have shot a poor percentage when he shot 50%.  Ill take that, especially with 2 assists and 4 steals.  He may not have been awesome, but overall, this was a weird recap.

• Mar 24, 20132:21 pm
      by oats

He also shot 50% from the line, which is terrible. I’d say that combined his shooting would count as mediocre.

• Mar 24, 20132:51 pm

I too would be happy with 50% shooting from him everyday. But it is still accurate to call that mediocre because he didn’t hit any threes. League-wide, the average 2pt% is almost exactly 50% (FG% is pulled down by the fact that about 25% of FGAs are 3PTAs, which are only converted at about a 35% clip). And it’s higher for PFs.

• Mar 24, 20135:35 pm
    by danny

Still hopeful for Knight, but wish we had taken Walker like I wanted.

Guy is gonna avg. 20 points in his career.

• Mar 26, 20137:14 am
    by Derek AKA Redeemed

I have mixed feelings about BK7 returning to the lineup.  Seeing him out there giving such effort on defense when his ankle clearly bothers him is yet another testament to his toughness and dedication.  My hope is that he doesn’t hurt himself again and this somehow assists his continual development.