Pistons regress to season-opening lows with second 0-8 stretch

Detroit Pistons 101 Final
Recap | Box Score
112 Portland Trail Blazers
Jason Maxiell, PF 38 MIN | 4-6 FG | 2-4 FT | 5 REB | 3 AST | 2 STL | 1 BLK | 3 TO | 10 PTS | -6

Maxiell defended LaMarcus Aldridge as closely as one could hope, but there just wasn’t much the 6-foot-7 Maxiell could do against Aldridge, who is 6-foot-11 with a high release and had 31 points and 12 rebounds.

Greg Monroe, C 36 MIN | 5-9 FG | 4-8 FT | 9 REB | 6 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 14 PTS | -6

Monroe quietly had a very nice, efficient game. He scored, rebounded and passed well, showing off his versatile skill set. After picking up two early fouls (and wisely being allowed by Brian Hill to remain in the game), his defense even looked adequate. This might be a glimpse of what Monroe can do when both the Pistons’ two most-used guards play well and take attention off Monroe, which hasn’t happened much this season.

Jose Calderon, PG 24 MIN | 5-8 FG | 0-0 FT | 4 REB | 5 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 13 PTS | -1

Calderon hasn’t controlled the offense as much lately, which might be problematic as far as making him like the Pistons. When Rodney Stuckey and Will Bynum play this well, it’s perfectly justifiable to shift Calderon off the ball and rest him longer. But how will Calderon react this summer when he hits free agency? That question shouldn’t color Hill’s rotation, but we should be aware of the ramifications.

Rodney Stuckey, PG 40 MIN | 12-23 FG | 6-7 FT | 3 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 32 PTS | -12

Every once in a while, Stuckey shows a will to compete that makes him a very good player. Tonight he had it. Evidence: Stuckey made 3-of-5 shots while being fouled, which is actually better than he shot while not being fouled (9-of-20). Stuckey’s will was clearly focused on scoring, and he had a season-high 32 points. If you watched the game, you saw Stuckey, with a chipped tooth and a bad cut above his eye, playing hard despite looking like he had just lost a fight. But no assists in 40 minutes? That partially explains why Stuckey, even when he plays well individually, probably isn’t good enough to play a major role on a good team. Unfortunately, when not dominating the ball, Stuckey rarely plays well. It’s a catch-22.

Kyle Singler, SG 40 MIN | 2-10 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 4 PTS | -4

His baseline drive and reverse dunk looked pretty awesome, especially to all his fans in his home state of Oregon. Singler is more athletic than he gets credit for. Unfortunately, Singler otherwise missed a lot of shots and didn’t use his athleticism to help in any peripheral way.

Jonas Jerebko, PF 16 MIN | 2-4 FG | 0-0 FT | 5 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 2 TO | 4 PTS | -7

Jerebko showed nice hustle and didn’t appear intent on shooting every time touched the ball, which is how I’d like to see him play more often. This wasn’t his best showing of that style, but at least he didn’t chuck up the possession-wasting shots that he has been prone to taking much of this season.

Charlie Villanueva, PF 6 MIN | 0-0 FG | 1-2 FT | 2 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 3 TO | 1 PTS | -3

Three turnovers in six minutes. Yeesh. I wonder whether Villanueva’s return to the rotation will last for only one game.

Will Bynum, PG 28 MIN | 10-14 FG | 3-3 FT | 2 REB | 4 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 23 PTS | -10

Cool and calm, Bynum picked his spots well to smoothly drive either with a quick attack or on a pick-and-roll. Bynum has score more before, but I can’t recall him ever making it look so effortless. Unlike Stuckey, he also sprinkled in a few assists.

Brian Hill

The Pistons went on a 10-0 run coming out of a timeout late in the fourth quarter to cut the deficit to two points before Portland pulled away, and Hill deserves some credit for that. Unfortunately, his 0-6 record as acting head coach can’t be ignored.

• Mar 17, 20131:11 am
    by GET WELL SUSAN

I’m ok with this loss

• Mar 17, 20131:20 am
    by Brandon Knight

When I see the explosiveness of Stuckey and Bynum I look at Calderon and wonder…. Should the Pistons resign him this Summer?

• Mar 17, 20131:29 am
      by Vince

Yes. Yes they should.

Stuckey will only have a game like this maybe 6 times in a season, Bynum is a bit more consistent in my eyes and I think he has proved that this year. I would think more teams would be interested in Bynum than Stuckey at this point in their careers, and I’d much rather keep Bynum on the roster than Stuckey.

Calderon does what neither of them do consistently: pass. The Pistons need a pass-first PG, they already have two explosive guards who are athletic and can shoot, one should be starting at 2-Guard (Knight) and the other should be/is the backup PG (Bynum).

Stuckey still has a year left on his contract after this season, I say deal him for a pick, include him in a bigger deal or at least trade him for an average rotation player. Try and resign Calderon and keep Bynum.

• Mar 17, 20131:47 am
        by Jon

they should let em both go and sign tyreke evans to be either the sg or part of a 3 guard rotation with knight and calderon. then draft shabazz or porter whichever is available and cory jefferson in the second round if he’s still there to hopefully put together a competitive roster.

another option in the second round would be myck kabongo (if he slips) to eventually replace calderon in a couple years

• Mar 17, 20132:01 am
          by Vince

Myck Kabongo slipping that far would be a bit surprising but I wouldn’t rule it out. I wouldn’t mind picking him up either. The Pistons also have the Clippers’ 2nd round pick which is in the 55-60 region. Not too sure who we can pick up in that range who can contribute meaningful minutes.

On another note: no no no no no no. I like Tyreke, but I like him more when he isn’t on our roster. Unless he proves he can consistently play to his ROY days then fine, sign him, otherwise he is just another, younger Stuckey. I’m not sold on Shabazz after watching a few of his games, I like McLemore, Porter and Oladipo much more and I know the odds we draft any of them are pretty low. This is a PF-C heavy draft and we don’t need either. I’d take a gamble on Burke… maybe McAdoo, but not Shabazz. Call me crazy.

• Mar 17, 201311:21 am
            by Jon

yeah i kinda agree with you on evans, but i disagree that he is the same as stuckey. they both get their points in the same way, but the difference is that evans does it from the sg and at an elite level while stuckey has to have the ball in his hands and he does it at an above average level which is the only reason i would i want to take a chance on tyreke. i definitely know how it could turn out but i just really like watching him play.

as for shabazz, i can’t decide. he has good effort and a competent midrange  game. the problem is he is not as athletic as advertised coming out of hs which is necessary at the wing positions. one thing to keep in mind is that ucla players under howland are consistently drafted below their value due to howland’s playing style, which is why i give shabazz the benefit of the doubt that he is better than he is playing. not mcadoo. i go to NC State and therefore watch lots of unc games to enjoy watching them lose, and mcadoo disappears in games a lot. i constantly don’t realize he is on the floor

one thing is for sure. detroit needs a scorer. our roster currently has most of what it needs to be a contender, but the one thing lacking is a perimeter guy who can take over a game and win it by himself.  i don’t think monroe is that guy. he is more of a gasol type guy who does everything else. i don’t know who that guy will be but that is the last step in this rebuilding process

• Mar 17, 201311:57 am
            by George

The second round of this year’s draft could have some solid guys.  Besides Kabango, I like Crabbe (Cal), Bulluck (UNC), Nash (OSU), Young (Florida).

Of the guards projected in the lottery, I like McClemore and Oladipo the most, just because both are good at filling the score sheenot even on days they don’t score much.  Muhammed seems to score, but that is basically it.  He isn’t a committed defender, he doesn’t make teammates better, but he does shoot at a decent clip, and he is an good rebounder for his size.

• Mar 17, 20132:05 am
        by Brandon Knight

Man Bynum and Stuckey can take over the game! Calderon can’t, he is very limited offensively and defensively. When Bynum and Stuckey get hot and play the right way, they are lethal!

• Mar 17, 20132:10 am
          by Vince

“When Bynum and Stuckey get hot and play the right way, they are lethal!”

When Bynum and Stuckey get hot and play the right way, they are lethal!

When

Bynum and Stuckey get hot and play the right way, they are lethal!

When  When When When

• Mar 17, 20132:21 am
            by Brandon Knight

I don’t know man they have all the skills to be great but they are not consistent. Like literally Stuckey and Bynum looked like super stars today! So why can’t they do what they did every night? Well I am not sure, but I blame the management.

• Mar 17, 201310:05 am

Do you also blame management for Nate Robinson?

• Mar 17, 201311:08 am
            by Jon

yeah they’re good 1 in 10 games. stuckey will never be good here unless he has the ball in his hands. the problem with that is that everyone else does worse when the ball is in his hands. he could do damage in the right situation, but that is not in detroit

• Mar 18, 20138:24 am
            by G

And don’t ignore the fact that while Stuckey had a good game, they still LOST.

• Mar 18, 201311:06 am
          by Huddy

Calderon isn’t limited offensively, he is consistent and efficient.  Passing and taking care of the ball and shooting at good percentages are far more important than occasionally having a good scoring game in a losing effort for the team.  One game can really blind people to years of inconsistent play, maybe thats why Stuckey got a new contract despite his performance.

• Mar 18, 201311:57 am
      by sebastian

Brandon Knight wrote: Should the Pistons resign him this Summer?
      Hell no! A Calderon signing would only represent an endorsement of mediocrity.

• Mar 17, 20131:25 am
    by jerrific

Here’s to hoping the Pistons play their way into a top five draft pick.  I would hate to see us go on another late season run that accomplishes nothing for our team now or in the future. I’m not saying they should intentionally lose, but let the injured players rest up for the remainder of the season and play the crap out of the other three rooks.

• Mar 17, 20131:31 am
    by Vince

One of the best games I’ve seen this season. Very happy with the effort and production the Pistons put on the floor tonight. Hopefully this shows they’ve turned a corner as a team, but I’m not holding my breath, lets see how they finish the season.

• Mar 17, 20131:35 am
    by Mark

Stuckey should get an F for trying to ruin our tank, lol

Seriously though, he deserves more than B+ for putting up 32 pts. So what if he didn’t have assists, he was playing SG, not PG.

He certainely looked to have impacted the game more than Monroe, who somehow got a better grade. Though I didn’t watch the whole game. Monroe played good though, just not as good as Stuckey, so it just seemed odd that Stuckey got the lower grade.

I’m glad they didn’t win though. Let the tank continue….

I think we’re in for the 4th pick as of now

• Mar 17, 20131:52 am
      by Vince

Yeah, agreed, any guy who can go out and drop 32 like that whilst being that banged up deserves at least an A.

I’m happy with Bynum’s grade, but Dan/Patrick, do you think you can get any follow up on Bynum’s right-hand injury? Sounds painful to say the least and the fact he has been playing through pain for the past two months makes me admire his determination and grit even more.

• Mar 17, 20139:26 am
      by sebastian

PistonPowered can also be called … “Everybody Hates, Stuckey”.
      Stuckey can’t win for losing. Besides, we all know that Singler, Calderon, Will B. are all better players than Stuckey.

• Mar 17, 20132:11 am
    by Jodi Jezz

Singler makes my Pistons look so bad!..

• Mar 18, 201311:52 am
      by sebastian

Jodi Jezz, you better watch out for the PistonPowered Possessive/Personal Pronoun Police. They will really rip into you, when you type: My, We, Our, Us, etc.
      Trust me I have been personally admonished.

• Mar 18, 20133:14 pm

And I’ll keep doing it until people realize how stupid it sounds.

• Mar 18, 20134:16 pm
        by G

I do my best to stay out of the 1st person plural, but I still slip up sometimes.

What IS okay is using the 2nd person as a literary device. Example:
        “You’re the Pistons’ GM. You’ve got roughly $33M coming off the cap this summer, who do you want to get & what do you want to pay for them?”
        or
        “You want to pick up Paul Millsap in FA? You’d have to pay around $10M to get him, you want to pay a guy that much to come off the bench?”

I think it’s also ok (feel free to disagree) to use first person singular from time to time. Example:
        “I wouldn’t offer OJ Mayo more than $10M”
        or
        “If I were Stuckey, I wouldn’t shoot so many threes”

The implication being if I had the resources, job title and skill sets that Dumars & Stuckey possess, I would do things differently. Or whatever.

• Mar 18, 20134:33 pm

Slipping up once in a while is different. Everyone does that. These clowns do it routinely, that’s what is annoying to read constantly.

• Mar 17, 20132:16 am
    by Brandon Knight

I love it when Stuckey and Bynum play hard like that. I wish they can play like that every night. They amazed the fans and more importantly Detroit Basketball looked a lot different and well respected! Why why why can’t Stuckey and Bynum play like that every night????

• Mar 17, 20137:15 pm
      by oats

Because they aren’t that good. There’s really nothing else to figure out. They are rotation players that occasionally have good games. They aren’t good enough to play at or near their best very often though. If they were better players they would do this more often. They aren’t.

• Mar 17, 20132:53 am
    by Big Rick

When l posted the other day I mentioned that Moose rarely if ever guards the oppositions’s best post scorer. Which was obvious tonight. Maxiell is losing his touch. I remember when he used to give Dwight Howard fits.

• Mar 17, 20133:55 am
    by kllp

middleton also play.

• Mar 17, 20139:02 am
    by Georgio

Guys have to make shots for Stuckey to get an assist. He passed to Middleton in the corner for a wide open three that he missed and I remember a pass to Singler and a pass to Max that both missed open shots so it’s not like he didn’t pass when the opportunity presented itself, it just that they missed.

• Mar 17, 20139:28 am
      by sebastian

Georgio with the keen observation!

• Mar 17, 20135:17 pm
      by inigo montoya

I was going to note those 3 potential assists too.

Furthermore, 6 out of the 12 shots Stuckey made were assists from somebody else so it is not like Stuckey was always getting his shots while dominating the ball.

I really don’t pay much attention to the grades given, but I do read the justifications for the grades.  Give Stuckey credit, in my mind he played an A/A- game.  To get an A or A+ one needs to shoot better than 12 for 23 even though it is good for Stuckey.

In the recent past Stuckey was shooting horribly, I don’t know the reason for that.  In the past 2 games Stuckey has shot a lot better.  Maybe it is a sign of better things to come, I don’t know.  But it seems as if some people hope that he does not shoot better in the future so that they can be proven right on Stuckey which is ultimately more important to them than  Stuckey shooting better which makes the Pistons better whether they trade Stuckey or not.

• Mar 18, 201312:09 pm
        by Huddy

Stuckey hasn’t been shooting bad for “the recent past”.  He has been inefficient for his career, especially at the rim.  I don’t want him to play poorly but it is crazy to read things like “recently” or hopefully this is a good sign for the “future”.  The guy is on his second contract and has underperformed for most of his career.  Obviously he has had better years, but mostly just because of being on the floor more, he was always inefficient and inconsistent.

Also, who counts potential assists?  He never passes well and everyone has to deal with people not making shots they take.  Good passers still get assists and put guys in position to capitalize look at his career stats or at least more than one game.

• Mar 18, 20136:33 pm
          by inigo montoya

I do look at his career stats.

In the season 2010-2011, Stuckey had the 11th highest PER among point guards.

Note in that season Stuckey’s assist ratio was comparable to Rose’s and Westbrook’s but Stuckey had a much lower usage rate so to state that he never passes well is not supported by the facts.

Last year, when Stuckey played 75% of the time at SG, Stuckey had the 6th highest PER among SGs with a lot of minutes played, (take out Elliot Williams)

Note too here there were only 7 SGs with a higher assist rate.

For the 2010-2011 and 2011-12 season, Stuckey has had a shooting percentage of around 55%, this year he is around 50% so he is shooting much poorer this year. The league average is usually around 53 to 54%.   I understand that a  team usually wants their PGs and SGs to shoot higher than that, but a TS% of 55% although not All-Star level, is not inefficient by a long shot.

No, the prior 2 years for Stuckey were much better than his current year and the measurements, PER, assist rate, usage rate, take into consideration efficiency and minutes played.

As a GM you want to get more out of your players than you are paying them, considering that the average salary, i.e the 2nd player off the bench, is $5 million/year and the salary cap.

Using various metrics I estimate that Stuckey was putting out much more value in 2010-2011 than he was getting paid, last season he was putting out slightly more value than he was getting paid and this season Stuckey is not putting out the value he is getting paid.

• Mar 17, 201310:18 am
    by ShawnG

I feel like Stuckey always plays great against Portland.

• Mar 17, 201312:56 pm
      by frankie d

he does play well against them.  he is a seattle native and i am sure there are lots of his old friends and relatives in the stands when he plays herein the rose garden.
      he always gives a huge effort in what is essentially a homecoming game.

• Mar 17, 20139:40 pm
    by bball4224

Singler is like my current version of Michael Curry. Piston player I can’t stand to watch because I don’t think he’s very good at anything, but yet he starts and plays a ton of minutes no matter what he is/isn’t doing.

• Mar 18, 20138:27 am
      by G

Nice comparison! The only difference was I could never understand why Curry was playing over Tayshaun, but in Singler’s case I don’t see anybody who deserves the starting spot more. You could make a case for Jerebko, but Singler’s probably better.