Pistons open West Coast trip with embarrassing loss to Clippers

If any of you have anything constructive to say about tonight’s game, feel free to do so in the comments. The Clippers shot 63 percent for the game (and would’ve been pushing 70 percent if they didn’t empty their bench). Blake Griffin had 14 points on 6-for-6 shooting in his first six minutes of action, and would’ve done even more damage if he didn’t pick up three quick fouls. Chris Paul had 20 points, 14 assists and no turnovers in just 31 minutes. In short, the Clippers completely picked the Pistons apart, Detroit played no defense and there was literally nothing redeeming to take away from this game. Grades below.

Detroit Pistons 97 FinalRecap | Box Score 129 Los Angeles Clippers
Brandon Knight, PG 19 MIN | 3-9 FG | 2-2 FT | 0 REB | 3 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 10 PTS | -28Any nondescript losing team like the Pistons struggles to get national news coverage throughout the season as interest wanes. But not every losing team has a selfless up and coming player like Knight, who selflessly goes out of his way to get his team headlines all over the national media. Players all over the league could learn a thing or two from the way Knight approaches his job.

The only two Pistons who played reasonably well were Jose Calderon, whose solid offensive contributions were dwarfed by those of his counterpart Paul, and done so relatively easily, and Jonas Jerebko, who got the bulk of his points when the benches had been emptied.

• Mar 11, 201312:49 am
    by Scott Carter

Yeah I wouldnt wanna see the grades for the rest of the team either.

• Mar 11, 201312:51 am
    by Brandon Knight

He deserved that A+, who would challenge a dunk like that? Respect for Brandon Knight!

• Mar 11, 20131:01 am
      by PistonFanSinceDay1

I agree

• Mar 11, 20138:33 am
      by G

Greg Monroe owes him a dinner. That was his guy, and Monroe lost him because he was ball watching.

• Mar 11, 20131:06 am
    by Leo

With all the talk in sportsabout streaks lately how come no one is talking about the pistons? Lost 5 in a row, easily on our way to 10(check the schedule. I honestly think there’s a good chance of landing top 4 in the lottery.

• Mar 11, 20131:26 am

Anywhere from 3-11 would not be surprising. Charlotte and Orlando are going to get 1 and 2 (pre-lottery) barring anything crazy happening. But Toronto, Philly, Detroit, Cleveland, Washington, New Orleans, Minnesota, Phoenix, and Sacramento are all really tightly bunched.

On the plus side, Toronto and New Orleans each gained a game on Detroit tonight.

• Mar 11, 20131:29 am

Unfortunately, Philly has lost 12 of the last 13 and is making a serious run at undertaking the Pistons among others.

• Mar 11, 20131:17 am
    by Haan

Silver lining: we’re well on our way to picking up that bottom-5 pick from the Clips.

• Mar 11, 20131:28 am

Why would the Pistons have the Clippers’ pick?

• Mar 11, 20132:37 am
        by Worm

2nd round pick from the Alex Acker trade.

• Mar 11, 20139:25 am

Ah, I’d completely forgotten about that.

• Mar 11, 20132:00 am
    by GET WELL SUSAN

I hate that Knight is gonna turn Into the New Jevell Mcgee …but I love the heart, for him to even challenge that dunk… end of the day 6″3 190 vs 6’11 250…and the 6’11 250 had a running start…

• Mar 11, 20132:17 am

Why would he turn into Javale McGee?

• Mar 11, 201310:04 am
      by G

Yeah, I don’t get that…

• Mar 11, 20132:09 am
    by MrCarter

It goes back to the Alex Acker trade a while ago. Simply put, if the Clippers 2nd round pick is 56-60, we get it.

• Mar 11, 20132:16 am
    by gmehl

I’ve got one thing to say about Knight going up for that block and that’s if he had of blocked it we’d be talking about ‘block of the year‘ not dunk of the year. As embarrassing as it might be for him he sure as hell earned my respect for that play.

• Mar 11, 20136:01 am
      by oats

Yes, if an incredibly improbable reversal of the actual events were to happen the conversation would be completely different. Knight wasn’t actually close to getting that one, so I don’t see the point in bringing up something that clearly had no chance of happening on that play. I like the effort too, but talking about what happens if Knight blocked the shot seems crazy to me.

• Mar 11, 20137:08 am
        by gmehl

Yeah it might sound crazy to some but hey if you don’t try you might as well just be another CV and show no heart whatsoever. Are you telling me he saves face by just moving out of the way and letting him dunk it uncontested?

• Mar 11, 20137:25 am
          by oats

Not even close to what I was saying. Look, when it comes down to it I’d rather have the guy who gets dunked on than the guy who gets out of the way. I don’t know how to say it more clearly than I did though. Knight couldn’t block that shot, so why talk about what happens if he does?

• Mar 11, 20139:18 am
            by gmehl

I never said that he was going to get the block i just said at least he tried. I felt that if Knight didn’t lose his balance the way he did he had every chance of making Jordan miss the dunk even if he still fouled him. Did Knight feel he had a chance to block the shot? I don’t know but all i can say is that if he did then his stock just rose a couple of notches in my book.

• Mar 11, 201310:09 am
            by G

Knight got tomahawked dude. It wasn’t about to be a block. Credit to Knight for stepping in, but what happened was inevitable.

• Mar 11, 20139:42 am
      by Derek

Knight already had my respect; however, his block attempt solidified it even further.  I remember a buddy of mine bringing a pic to school of Isiah (my favorite player) getting dunked on by Michael Jordan.  Initially I wanted to tear the pic up, until I thought about the competitive fire Zeke had to even try to block dude’s dunk.

I see fire and heart in Knight.  I would love to see a team of guys with the same sort of heart.

• Mar 11, 20133:34 am
    by robertbayer

There is plenty of fight in Brandon Knight!

• Mar 11, 20133:35 am
    by robertbayer

Keep your eyes on Jose Calderon’s D each game … Now I know why the Raptors didnt start him … Love his offense but ..

• Mar 11, 20134:06 am
      by Sable

I live in LA so I see more Clippers games than Pistons games.  Jose’s defense actually didn’t look any worse than other guys I’ve seen Paul go against so I can’t judge him on this game.

• Mar 11, 20138:35 am
      by G

Why bag on Calderon’s D when Monroe’s is worse?

• Mar 11, 201312:19 pm
      by Huddy

The Raptors did start him for about the last 6 years with the exception of this year when he shared almost exactly equal minutes with Kyle Lowry and often out preformed him.

Nobody defends Chris Paul well, but to the every game point, make a list of the best defending point guards in the game and then see what their asst/to ratio is, look at their 3p%, ft%, are they better than Calderon?  who is the whole package?  Are there even 3 PGs in the entire NBA that are efficient playmakers at an elite level and play tough gritty defense?

I generally hate player comparisons because there are so many other team factors and such but look at Steve Nash.  He has basically no defensive ability and yet was MVP of the NBA twice, no one would have regretted him being on their team.

Does everyone who complains about Jose’s D hate Ben Wallace?  He was a supreme defender, one of the best in the league for many seasons and was horrendous on Offense.  He had no offensive ability besides dunking and was even awkward at that at times.  It is the exact same situation with Jose.  He is a piece that has a positive effect on the whole team at an elite level on one side of the court and needs other pieces for the team to succeed just like Ben Wallace did when he was great.

• Mar 11, 20134:03 am
    by Sable

The way I see it, a guy who gets dunked on (no matter how nasty) is showing a samurai’s warrior spirit and should be honored as such.  Don’t celebrate the cowards who creep away meekly into the shadows.

I had a feeling this could get ugly because our best player, Monroe, just does not match up well with the athleticism of the Clippers.  I just wish the Pistons had emptied their bench earlier.  Why?  I don’t really need to see the vets struggle against the Clippers.  The rookies have a much better excuse and they might actually learn things.

• Mar 11, 20134:25 am
    by Derek

I have a ton of respect for a guy that does not give up on plays.  I love it when players have the fight to lay their bodies on the line.  Knight caught a horrible dunk and will get clowned.  That’s cool.  Everybody gets dunked on.  Not everybody has the tenacity to contest on plays like this highlight with D’Andre Jordan (or the ones against Kyrie).

Let’s see what the kid does with these embarassing moments.

• Mar 11, 20134:32 am
      by gmehl

‘Let’s see what the kid does with these embarrassing moment”

This is what i was thinking too Derek. This could be something that brings out the best in Knight or it could be something that eats away at him. Hopefully for his sake he takes it with a grain of salt and rises above it.

• Mar 11, 20136:54 am
    by Vic

BK will be ok. He’s a competitor, not a scared player. He’ll definitely make everyone pay the next few games. Great leader at the shooting guard position. I agree he is rebuilding the heart of the Pistons.

• Mar 11, 20138:37 am
      by G

I liked his response, “scouting report didn’t say the Clippers threw lobs”.

• Mar 11, 20136:59 am
    by Blocks by Dre

Only reason I don’t like Knight trying to defend the dunk is because he could’ve gotten injured in the play, other than that love that he at least tried unlike some overrated player on this team!

• Mar 11, 201310:16 am
      by G

Agree, it was a dangerous play for him to step in on. I can only guess that he was trying to get to the pass before Jordan did, but obviously that didn’t work out.

• Mar 11, 20137:58 am
    by Derek

Indeed he could have gotten hurt. In fact, having missed the game I thought he did get hurt and that was the reason he only played 19 minutes while Stuckey got burn.  Dude number 1 plays hard makes mistakes and plays 19 minutes.  Dude number 2 plays without a care makes 1 field goal in like 4 or 5 games and gets 25 minutes off the bench.

Why play Stuckey at all?  There’s no hope in increasing his value.  There’s no hope in game changing contributions.  He is who he is: inconsistent malecontent with a limited game, limited range, and limitless conceit.

• Mar 11, 20139:22 am
    by Blocks by Dre

Greg Monroe just put the team on blast for not showing effort…so I guess he showed effort right? Especially his amazing defense Vs Jordan…

• Mar 11, 201310:19 am
      by G

Yes, plus 2-8 shooting with 5 boards in 33 minutes does not distinguish yourself above your peers.