Pistons miss fourth straight post-season, their longest playoff drought in 30 years

With the Milwaukee Bucks’ win over the Los Angeles Lakers tonight, the Pistons have been officially eliminated from the playoff race. That makes four straight seasons without reaching the post-season, Detroit’s longest drought since missing the playoffs each season between 1977-78 and 1982-83.

Few expected the Pistons to make the playoffs this year, though most of us hoped they’d at least contend. Unfortunately, a lack of progression from young players, poor coaching, too few minutes for Andre Drummond, a trade that unbalanced the roster and other factors have given the Pistons an even worse winning percentage than either of the previous two seasons.

The good news is the Pistons will keep their first-round draft pick rather than sending it to the Charlotte Bobcats, but the stakes are higher next season, when it’s just top-eight protected.

Missing the playoffs this season will probably help the Pistons in the long run. Next season, that probably won’t be the case.

• Mar 29, 20139:46 am
      by oats

Well, it starts with complaining about his scoring in March. Umm, he’s been hurt for most of the month. He’s scoring 11.9 points so far in 8 games, but one of those is the 0 point 3 minute game. I suspect his crappy month has more to do with not having enough games to counter balance that 0 point performance. So the opening page is dumb.

Most of the arguments for him are why he should play shooting guard. It talks about his shooting and his ability to guard shooting guards for crying out loud. That’s the argument for Knight the shooting guard. For Knight the point guard they need to talk about his ability to run an offense.

The other thing is it never once addressed why Knight is a bad point guard. It didn’t address his turnover issues, at all. It compared him to Conley, but Conley had 4.3 and only 1.7 turnovers in his second year. That’s better than a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio, and gives some inkling that he might have aptitude for the position. Knight’s at 4.1 assists to 2.8 turnoves, or less the 1.5 assists per turnover. Pretty much no point guard who couldn’t get to the 2 assists per turnover mark by this point has ever been good. Even if Conley was a good comparison, and he isn’t, Conley is still an exception and not the rule. Most point guards show more signs that they will be good point guards by year two than Conley, and yet Conley still has given more reason to be optimistic than Knight.

• Mar 29, 201310:09 am
        by G

^This, especially the last bit. Everybody keeps saying Knight needs time to learn the position, yadda yadda… He should’ve shown an inkling of aptitude by now. Every time somebody brings up a player who took 3 years or more to develop into a PG, they pick a player who was either buried on the bench, traded around or injured. And STILL the guy would have shown aptitude in his second year, getting to that 2/1 AST/TO ratio.

• Mar 29, 20131:13 pm
        by G

Btw, Bleacher Report? Not a site I’d recommend for in depth analysis. Lists, yes. Pics of an athlete on vacation, more lists, and top ten lists, all on Bleacher Report. For in depth analysis, try Lowe or Goldberry on Grantland, Basketball Prospectus, stuff like that.

• Mar 29, 201312:56 pm
      by Desolation Row

He’ll be a solid 6th man SG who occasionally steps in at PG for matchup/player rest purposes a la Jason Terry. Probably 3rd best player on the team with guys starting who just fit a particular role better (i.e. distributor at PG, shutdown defender at SG). Will have games, potentially even in the playoffs, where he’s the leading scorer on the floor and others where he just fills a role. Honestly, I think that’s a great outcome and am not sure why people seem to take offense when others point out that he probably will never be a starting PG on a contender.

• Mar 28, 201311:57 pm
    by robertbayer

Thanks for the BK7 link, Brandon Knight (fan) .. I still believe in Brandon Knight (player) ….as a PG ….  Go Pistons!  Lets try a much better head coach and prove that this is the case …

• Mar 29, 20131:01 am
    by allweatherfanaddict

Thanks BK. Still think we need Calderon around a couple seasons to be safe. Did I just see Michael Carter-Williams DOMINATE Oladipo on the big stage? Interesting. IDK who I want in this draft anymore. I will admit I don’t watch too many college games, just look at Mock Drafts and articles. Someone help me out, I want a 2 or 3 that is athletic, can defend, and most importantly be a go-to scorer, like immediately. Who best fits that description, and if it is McLemore and he’s gone, then who? Suggestions…please…from someone who actually watches these guys?

• Mar 29, 20139:57 am
      by oats

I’d say McLemore is the best fit, but he’ll primarily be a jump shooter immediately and his defense is only average right now. If he’s gone I don’t think anyone fits that description that well. The next best fit for that is probably Otto Porter. Porter’s a closer to an average athlete than McLemore, but he is a really good defender. Porter’s also more of 2nd option on offense in my opinion. The problem is that everyone in the draft is a 2nd option, Porter and McLemore are the two with the best chance of being a number one option though.

• Mar 29, 201310:13 am
      by oats

Almost forgot, MCW looks good right now, but I don’t know if he finally figured something out or if he just is on a hot streak. He doesn’t look like the same player in the tourney he did most of the year. For most of the year he kept forcing shots and not hitting them effectively. Maybe he figured out how to use the shot as a counter to defenders jumping passing routes hard instead of looking to shoot first, or maybe he’s just had 3 good games in the tourney. I really don’t know. I still prefer Burke to him because Burke’s been playing well all year, but Carter-Williams looks more like the kind of player I’ve wanted him to be all year.

By the way, I wonder about how good of a defender Carter-Williams actually is. The Syracuse zone has a tendency to inflate steals and hide weak defenders. He looks good on D, but it might be a mirage. The interesting thing about him is that if he can’t guard point guards that he might be able to guard shooting guards, and we have Knight who could take the point guard on defense. Even still, I don’t know if he’s a quality defender at either position to be honest.

• Mar 29, 20132:28 am
    by jerry

absolutely shabazz. I used to care about effort and defense until the nba made it impossible to win wit those things. Now its about having stars and running pick and roll, and I really think Shabazz is going to be a go to guy. Ive been watching him closely.

• Mar 29, 20139:52 am
      by oats

Ick. I hate Shabazz. He scores either in the post, an area that will be tougher to score at in the pros, or at the 3 point line. His rep in high school was that he couldn’t shoot 3s, and his 3 point numbers have steadily been dropping. I think he hit a few early in the year, but he really isn’t a good 3 point shooter. I see him as an inefficient shooter that just keeps jacking up bad shots. He’ll score, but he’ll take a lot of shots from better scoring options to do it.

• Mar 29, 20132:41 am
    by Venice

If we can’t get McLemore ,I think it’s good to have a good perimeter defender with Oladapio. If he can work on his offensive game, he MIGHT become the next Dwade. Another prospect that I like is Glenn Robinson. He is compared to Igoudala. If Knight can’t develop into a solid PG, Robinson can create for his teammates .Both player can be a solution to our wings.

• Mar 29, 201310:01 am
      by oats

I don’t think Robinson is even a lottery talent. We’re talking about a guy that scores 11 points a game for crying out loud. He should absolutely stay in school. He’s also getting a whole 1.1 assists per game, so the idea that he might be a point forward is absurd. If he goes someone will take him in the first in the hopes that he leaves up to his pedigree and his athletic ability, but Robinson has not done anywhere close to enough to go in the top 15 picks of the draft.

• Mar 29, 201310:39 am
        by Venice

If we are looking at stats, maybe he is not a lottery pick. I think what this team needs is an athletic player that can create for his teammates and also can create his shot. We need to look at some factors why his stats at like that. He is playing alongsIde Burke and Hardaway jr who mostly has the ball in their hands. If I can choose a player in this draft that would fit this team nicely, there is no doubt that it is Mclemore. Considering that it is unlikely that He will be there when we pick, I strongly recommend to look at Oladipo and GR3 . GR3 might be too passive at times but, If he will get that much needed killer instinct, I believe that he will become a star in this league.His father will also help have an excellent career. I think his draft stock will rise during this upcoming draft combine. Joe D needs to closely look on this player.

• Mar 29, 201310:55 am
          by oats

Hardaway Jr. is likely not even a first round pick. If Hardaway is really holding Robinson back that much, then Robinson just isn’t ready. He’s an athlete, and he has a pedigree, so he will get his chance to prove himself. That said drafting the sons of good basketball players is hardly a fool proof system. I feel pretty confident saying I’m better off with Trey Burke and no NBA pedigree over John Stockton’s kid. Robinson is a serious project at this point. If he can’t assert himself on a team as young as Michigan, how long will it be before he asserts himself on an NBA roster? No thanks.

If we want a guy who can do those things you are missing on Otto Porter. He’s not quite as athletic as Robinson, but he’s bigger. Porter’s a really good shooter while Robinson is a barely adequate 3 point shooter. Porter is better on the boards, and he plays much better defense. Porter also happens to be the better passer, getting 2.7 assists. Georgetown runs the Princeton offense that preaches passing, and he’s good at it. He’s just a much better player than Robinson and it isn’t close.

• Mar 29, 20133:25 am
    by Reaction

We need this draft n the 2014 draft to have a solid young lineup for the ages… the next draft is loaded with Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Noah etc..

• Mar 29, 20137:47 am
    by I HATE FRANK

I honestly want BK to be the starting PG …. but he does have to make better decisions with the ball…. he is a natural scorer who is willing to pass the ball… so sometimes he’ll be in scoring mode, then be like “maybe should pass this in mid stride” ….that’s where he gets in trouble …in those “Maybe Moments” he just needs to be decisive ….. Next season is year 3 it will be what defines him as a Piston

• Mar 29, 20138:21 am
      by jmak

That’s exactly what I’ve thought too (about his deciding to pass when he shouldn’t). When he seems to just play his game, I think that he looks good. It just seems like he tries to force it, like you said, and that’s when he gets most of his turnovers. Playing with the same group of players can help that, and it can help everybody get used to what everybody else is going to do, which I think is a big issue on defense as well. Even veteran stars, like when the Heat all got played together, took time to gel and learn how to play with each other. Once Drum, Moose, BK, Singler, and whoever else on our roster that will continue playing on our roster gels and understands each other’s thought process, we will look like a much better team.

• Mar 29, 201310:29 am
      by oats

The problem is Knight also has a tendency to turn it over with just sloppy ball handling. It’s not always bad decision making, he just hasn’t shown that point guard skills are a natural part of his game. He seems to be thinking too much and slows down while at the point instead of just playing. He’s looked more natural at shooting guard, it just seems like he’s better off not having the burden of running an offense.

• Mar 29, 20139:31 am
    by Scott Free

Trade that unbalanced the roster?  I agree thats what happened, but it smacks of hindsight.  Earlier in 2013, if someone said “Lets trade Tayshaun, get rid of Austin Daye and end our glut at SF, for a pass-first point guard”  NO ONE at the time believed this would throw off chemistry for the Pistons.

• Mar 29, 201310:18 am
      by G

When the trade happened the Pistons were a few games out of the #8 spot in the playoffs. I think everybody pretty much knew at the time that if the Pistons didn’t acquire a quality SF somehow, they weren’t catching Boston or Milwaukee. I remember thinking that. I didn’t think they’d completely go in the tank, but I thought Drummond would be starting & catching alley-oops from Calderon.

• Mar 29, 201310:25 am
        by oats

I agree with that. Both before and after the trade I thought they were a piece short of making the playoffs. Then injuries caught up to them and they fell apart. That happens to bad teams. They had no margin for error, and even average injury problems over the course of the season was enough to knock them out of contention.

• Mar 29, 201311:42 am
    by pokerpro932

DRE IS STARTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mar 29, 201312:00 pm
      by Brandon Knight

Yeahhhhhh …… I just read the news. Hopefully he plays 30+ minutes. A lot of things to watch for. Calderon/Drummond, Monroe/Drummond and Knight/Drummond. Let’s see how they play with each other. I am so excited!

• Mar 29, 201312:04 pm
        by Brandon Knight

I will be disappointed if I don’t see some lobs! Lol

• Mar 29, 20131:04 pm
        by G

It doesn’t sound like he’ll be playing 30+ minutes. They’ve been saying things like “ramp his minutes back up” and “getting his legs back” and stuff like that. I’ll be happy if he gets at least 20.

• [...] It also helps (or hurts?) matters that the Celtics are in the Eastern Conference, where the bottom feeders have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a long, long time. [...]