Pistons lose to Heat, and that’s OK

The Pistons haven’t had much of anything to play for for weeks now, and their 10-game losing streak and often disinterested play is a reflection of that. But we got a nice reprieve tonight as the Pistons gave a game effort and actually led at halftime as they took their turn at trying to end Miami’s historic winning streak. Not surprisingly, they weren’t successful, and that’s OK. It was nice to simply see some fight — including Jonas Jerebko, who always seems to irritate the Heat whenever the teams play, inducing a flagrant foul out of Mario Chalmers and Greg Monroe having one of his best games of the season with 23 points, 15 rebounds and six assists. Also, Kim English continues to be highly entertaining — he played solid defense in his 12 minutes of action. A little too solid. He picked up six fouls and fouled out in those 12 minutes.

The Pistons have had plenty of halftime leads and seen them evaporate this season, but tonight’s three-point lead seemed particularly unsafe. The Heat have been toying with bad teams a bit of late, including overcoming a 27-point deficit to beat the Cavs earlier this week. The Pistons, at the very least, played hard, played physical and made the Heat work hard. Or, at least work as hard as any team can make the Heat work right now.

Grades generator is down, so you’ll have to settle for text only tonight. Box score is here if you need it.

Jose Calderon (B-) – He shot the ball well and also moved pretty well without the ball — Monroe and Jason Maxiell both found him on nice cuts to the basket. But he was uncharacteristically sloppy with seven turnovers and he lost Mario Chalmers a couple times for open threes.

Rodney Stuckey (B-) – Stuckey didn’t shoot well, but the fact that I’ve watched so much college basketball the past two days has made me less harsh about that (seriously … college basketball is the worst). Stuckey played hard and did a pretty good job defensively against Dwyane Wade.

Monroe (A) – Monroe had his entire, beautiful offensive game on display tonight. He beat guys off the dribble. He passed from the high post. He took pretty good care of the ball. He made post moves. He even hit an elbow jumper. Monroe has been less consistent this season than we’d been accustomed, but there is no doubt that he’s one of the most skilled big men in the league offensively, and the more weapons the Pistons can put around him next season, the better he’s going to be.

Kyle Singler (A) – Singler made open shots, he rebounded, he moved without the ball and he had one of his best games of the season. He didn’t guard LeBron James particularly well, but who does?

Jason Maxiell (C+) – Maxiell had a nice pass to a cutting Calderon in the first, then also had an early turnover trying to make an extra pass, not bad for a guy who rarely looks to pass.

Jerebko (B) – Jerebko didn’t shoot well, but he did make an open three (something that is vital for him to improve if he’s going to be a rotation player), he grabbed eight rebounds and he was the feisty irritant and hustle player that made him gain so many fans in the first place

Will Bynum (F) – Bynum only played 13 minutes and made no impact in a game the PIstons really could’ve used his scoring off the bench.

English (C-) – English continues to shoot poorly, but he gave the Pistons good minutes defensively, even if he was too foul-happy. He took a good, hard (and clean) foul on James on a run-out that would’ve been a dunk in the first half and he handled himself well defensively against Wade and Ray Allen. I have no problem with is aggressiveness, even if he did pick up quick fouls.

Charlie Villanueva (F) – Ditto what I wrote for Bynum. If the Pistons got any offense at all out of either of their two bench guys whose job is solely to provide offense, they would’ve had a chance to win this game.

Lawrence Frank (A) – After weeks of this team playing like they didn’t care all that much, Frank deserves credit for getting the Pistons prepared enough to compete hard against the Heat. Whether he’s the coach here beyond this season or not, that’s a sign that he’s still respected in the locker room and, even in a lost season, can still motivate the team, even if trying to end Miami’s winning streak was also a motivating factor. The Pistons had a good gameplan. They were physical with Miami, they let Monroe dominate inside against Miami’s collection of stiffs they throw out there at the center position when Chris Bosh isn’t in and, if they got any shooting at all from Bynum or Villanueva, they would’ve had a chance to win on the road against the probable NBA champions who are playing out of their minds right now. Not a bad night for Frank.

• Mar 22, 201311:18 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Kim English highly entertaining???? He made us lose! All the six fouls were unnecessary.

• Mar 22, 201311:25 pm

If you don’t love Kim English, you don’t have a soul. And based on your comments you leave here, I’m not sure you have a functioning frontal lobe. So also being soul-less would be bad for you.

• Mar 22, 201311:50 pm
        by MNM

Can you guys construct a bracket of the “Most Annoying Commenters” on this site…?

• Mar 22, 201311:54 pm
          by Vince

Or a spam button?

• Mar 22, 201311:59 pm
            by MNM

..yes, or spam button.

• Mar 23, 201312:23 pm
          by Piston Truth

I agree and the title is pathetic dude just like this season so its ok to lose?.. unacceptable great way to sell us into reading the article smh

• Mar 23, 201312:33 am
        by Brandon Knight

I actually like English, but today he was horrible. 6 fouls in 12 minutes says it all. BTW what kind of solid defense your talking about??? … Whoever thinks English played well is an Idiot!

• Mar 23, 201312:56 am

Who said he played well?

• Mar 23, 20131:11 am
            by Brandon Knight

“Solid Defense”! “Highly entertaining”!

• Mar 23, 20131:13 am

Neither of those things say ‘well.’ You can be entertaining and still not play well. And his defense was fine. He was physical, and he got called for fouls. Whatever. English is an end of bench guy, not someone they are counting on to play more than a handful of minutes. He took chances and they got called. BFD. I hope he defends that aggressively every single time they give him minutes.

• Mar 23, 20136:32 am
            by G

I like English, but c’mon – his last 3 fouls were 4) knocked over Battier after he let go a corner 3, 5) knocked over Anderson while positioning for a rebound on a shot LeBron made, and 6) touch foul on a LeBron layup.

The first 2 were BEYOND stupid and displayed incredible lack of awareness. The last was simply dumb, either get your money’s worth or get out of the way. All of them helped Miami pad its lead when the game was still close. That’s 6 points he gave them for free in a tight game.

• Mar 23, 201312:39 am
        by Brandon Knight

Oh btw Patrick I really don’t like your silly comments. Unprofessional!

• Mar 23, 201312:53 am

Well, judging by the reaction your comments get, I would guess that very few of our readers appreciate yours. Most people would take the hint.

• Mar 23, 20131:01 am
            by Brandon Knight

Most of my comment are opinions, and as a writer you should respect that. However, going back to my comment, I don’t think I said  anything wrong or dumb!

• Mar 23, 20131:15 am

Your comments are opinions that are rarely supported with any kind of data. Your opinion amounts to, ‘I love Brandon Knight beyond all reason!’ That’s fine. I know where you stand. But I have way more respect for the opinions of commenters who are actually analytical, who make logical conclusions and can actually supported there opinions with something more than, “This guy is great because I love him!”

• Mar 23, 20136:42 am
            by G

It’s too bad Knight didn’t play, those 40 points would’ve come in handy.

• Mar 22, 201311:31 pm
      by Vince

Yeah and the only reason we lost is because Brandon Knight didn’t play?

Get over yourself, English played alright. He hasn’t been shooting well but at least he showed he could play some semblance of D, something this team has been lacking at times.

• Mar 23, 20132:48 pm
      by TRJ

I have to agree. How does English play good defense while making so many terrible fouls? Watching the game it felt like those fouls did as much as anything to turn the tide towards the Heat.

• Mar 22, 201311:33 pm
    by Jacob

If Moose does this when we get Drummond back watch out. Also on another note I hope we take a good look at Corey Brewer, I really like his game.

• Mar 22, 201311:34 pm
    by Big Rick

You have to give L. Frank a little credit tonight. Pre-game he was asked about how to beat the Heat, and he said it starts with “believing” they could win and come out swinging. They came out swinging and went down swinging against a juggernaut sorely undermanned. I think the team deserves an A for effort.
    Been lacking for awhile.

• Mar 22, 201311:41 pm
    by Big Rick

Yeah, Moose needs to play like this ALL the time. Might not have so many stat stuffers but if he brings the aggressiveness and EFFORT like he brought it for most of the game tonight then he might be well worth a max deal. I may be nit picking but the one thing that stood out to me is when he got ripped by Wade he didn’t attempt to chase him down. I knew it would probably be a few futile attempt to catch him, but we’ve all seen wackier stuff happen in this league.

• Mar 23, 201312:33 am
    by Big Rick

Would be interesting to see who made it to the final four.

• Mar 23, 201312:34 am
    by Mark

Forget the game. English needs seasoning. Stuckey needs to go. Above anything else do not take Mohammed in the draft. I’m watching the UCLA and Minnesota game and he shows that he has a spotty jumper but can slash to the hole. Not sure than as that much upside.

• Mar 23, 201312:56 am

Yeah … good luck to whichever lottery team takes him. Basically Stuckey’s skillset (maybe slightly more athletic) with an insane dad.

• Mar 23, 20132:45 am
        by Reaction

Patrick what is your take on who the Pistons should draft? I’m really liking Marcus Smart’s game. + There is tons of SF talent in the 2014 draft (if we don’t improve)

• Mar 23, 20132:52 am
          by Vince

Smart would be great, but would he drop down to us? I think he’ll go in the top 3. Unfortunately this draft is full of C and after the top 5 there aren’t that many solid prospects. I’d personally go for Robinson III, he seems to be the only non C/PF who has a solid future.

• Mar 23, 20136:47 pm

GRIII? Are you serious? Maybe in the second round… MAYBE

• Mar 24, 20137:29 am

Robinson III is more likely to come out in 2014, but DraftExpress considers him a lottery pick. If he came out this year, he’d merit consideration late in the lottery for sure, even if he has been pretty wildly inconsistent.

• Mar 23, 20133:34 am
          by oats

I kind of hate Marcus Smart, at least for the Pistons. I don’t get it with him. He’s a point guard that can’t pass or shoot, but he turns it over an awful lot. I get that he’s a fantastic athlete and a good defender, but what is it exactly he does on offense that makes people like him so much? He shoots 41% from the field and 29% from 3, both of which are in Rodney Stuckey territory. He has 4.2 assists per game and 3.3 turnovers, so his assists are in Stuckey territory but he turns it over way more often. Why isn’t he Stuckey with better defense and worse ball security? I don’t see how he’s a top 5 pick, and I really don’t get why people think he’s the best point guard in the draft. The thought of the team rolling with Knight and Smart and just hoping one of them can become a point guard seems like a really bad idea. I get why some teams are interested, but if a team that isn’t ok with him failing to become a point guard then they shouldn’t be interested in him. If he is a shooting guard, like I really think he is, then him and Knight are pretty interchangeable as prospects. No thanks on that.

• Mar 23, 20133:40 pm

My favorites are still Oladipo, Porter and Burke.

• Mar 23, 20136:08 pm
            by MrHappyMushroom

Think GTU’s first round face plant will make Porter more likely to be around  when the Pistons pick? There really doesn’t seem to be a consensus order for the top six or seven and as he’s done so early, it’s harder to see him making a sudden run up the list.

• Mar 23, 20136:43 pm
            by gmehl

Yeah i’m all for Oladipo too. If we have a chance between him and Porter then i’m still torn on who we take.

• Mar 24, 20131:12 am

Not Harris anymore?

• Mar 24, 20137:30 am

I still like Harris as a late lottery option. But I think he’s probably (though continued strong tourney play could change this) more likely to stay another year and I’d put him a notch below those three you mentioned. I would take him over Shabazz though.

• Mar 23, 20139:51 am
        by I HATE FRANK

I know Shabazz is a way stronger finisher than Stuckey, and his jumper is already advanced …. he has a chance to be more dominate than Porter

• Mar 23, 201310:29 am
          by G

Yeah. I’m not a fan of Shabazz, but he’s got a much better jumper than Stuckey.

• Mar 23, 20133:42 pm

It didn’t look good last night. Shabazz shot 37 percent from three this season in college, which is decent. But Stuckey also had a 37 percent from three season at Eastern Washington. I’m not convinced Shabazz is a good or even decent jump shooter yet.

• Mar 23, 20133:16 am
      by oats

While the Minnesota game was somewhat alarming, it was also really predictable. UCLA’s second leading scorer got hurt in their last game, so Muhammad had absolutely no one to help carry the scoring load and the team didn’t really have time to adjust to losing Addams before the tourney. Minnesota really only had one player to try to stop, and despite that Muhammad still put up 20 points. His scoring wasn’t particularly efficient, and he did nothing outside of scoring, but given the situation he was in it’s hard to kill him too much for that game.

• Mar 23, 201311:13 am
      by Jon

his jumper is actually not that bad but as soon as the news that he was lying about his age came out i stopped wanting him. the fact that the reason he’s been dominating throughout high school and into college is he was older than everyone he is playing significantly diminishes his value. before that report he was still my number one choice bc we need a scorer and that’s what he is but now i don’t think he’ll be nearly as good

• Mar 23, 20133:15 am
    by Nick

Can someone please explain what’s so special about Otto Porter? Every game I watch he stinks it up. To be honest I don’t think he is better than Singler, but that is just my opinion. I would not draft Porter in the lottery.

• Mar 23, 20133:23 am
      by oats

He is literally good at everything you could ask him to do. He shoots a high percentage, both on twos and threes. He rebounds well for his position, and is a decent passer. He also might be the best defender on a really good defensive team. In short, everything is to like about Otto Porter. He’s had 6 bad games all year, and about 15 very good ones. He’s the single most complete player in the draft, so I’m really glad you aren’t making the selection.

• Mar 23, 20134:39 am
        by Nick

Well where the hell was his defense and all that s*#t you was talking about tonite. Porter ain’t showed me nothing that will make him a top 5 pick

• Mar 23, 201310:30 am
          by G

Then base your opinion on a selection of his games, not just one. If you watched last night’s game, you’d have thought Chris Bosh was the worst player in the NBA.

• Mar 23, 20131:51 pm

I’m glad he had a bad game in a one-and-done tourney appearance. It can only help the odds that he’s available wherever the Pistons end up picking.

That said, it was one more data point to push my inclination for the top of the Pistons’ draft board toward McLemore over Porter.

• Mar 23, 20133:22 pm
            by oats

Honestly, if Detroit can choose between them in the draft then they really can’t lose. Well, they could pass on both for Marcus Smart, but that’s another issue. McLemore and Porter are really tight on my draft board, and I can’t see the team going wrong with either of them. I’m still leaning a bit towards Porter, but it is practically a coin flip for me.

• Mar 23, 20134:11 am
    by robertbayer

The Legend of Lawrence Frank continues to astound us all. Goodness he was awesome tonight as head coach. A ten game losing streak and ….. we bow down before this master of the hardcourt.  I think A+ is more appropriate than an A because …. well … just because …. The MSM sports journalists like this guy .. and peon Piston fans better tow the line if they know what is good for them. Piston fans tend to be very emotional with nothing to support their views. Especially those who like Brandon Knight, which is true in my case.  On the other hand, there is so so very much evidence that Lawrence Frank is a great head coach and that he deserves a good rating as the 10 game losing streak mounts and we become more and more certain that the Pistons as a team are truly on their way .. Go Pistons! Go L. Frank … far far far away!

• Mar 23, 20133:46 pm

Lawrence Frank has received Ds or lower in, I would estimate, 75 percent or so of our recaps this season. The team played well against the best team on the planet, had a lead and would’ve been in it late if one of the three out of Stuckey, Bynum or Villanueva had a remotely good shooting game. Lawrence Frank did nothing wrong in last night’s game. That certainly doesn’t redeem him for anything this season, but there’s also nothing at all wrong with saying he coached a good game and had his depleted roster prepared well.

I know thinking logically isn’t your strong suit, but try it sometime before you start hammering away at your keyboard.

• Mar 23, 20135:32 am
    by Moparguy

This draft is going to be a pretty poor one to have a top 5 pick. Unless they manage to get #1 overall.  2 centers, a SF who is offense challenged (potter) yet another tweener guard. Are most of the talent that is available. Obviously I think Mclemore is the best fit overall and probably the most talented. But after that its a bit of a crapshoot. Bennett is a good player who doesnt really have a position. Muhammad is not as good as he thinks he is. And as hard as Oladipo works he really isnt the type of player you want that high in the lottery. I guess if he fell to them they could take Noel being one of the few teams picking that high who wouldnt need him to start. And while he would just be a rotation guy for the first couple of years Their defense would be pretty good in the paint when he and Drummond were on the floor

• Mar 23, 20136:35 am
      by G

Porter had a bad game. What do you want to do? Judge him based on 1 game in the tournament or based on his entire season? Too much value gets  placed on how a guy performs in the tournament. Sometimes a guy gets a hot hand & ends up getting drafted in the 1st rd instead of the 2nd. Or like Porter, you see a bad game (which wasn’t THAT bad) & devalue him.

• Mar 23, 201311:32 am
      by Jon

mclemore
      bennett
      oladipo
      porter

it’s hard to make a pick after mclemore but i think with bennett if he realizes his potential as a stretch four with elite athleticism he could be worth a lot going into the trade deadline next season and might be able to fetch a top 10 pick in next years draft. it seems like regardless who we pick after mclemore, the team will not be able to compete for a championship until we sign a scorer. next year should be a playoff team no matter who is picked but unless its mclemore we’ll keep falling to the teams who have scorers who can get their points whenever they want them

• Mar 23, 201312:29 pm
      by oats

Porter scores 16 points a game on a slow paced Georgetown team while shooting 49% from the field and 43% from 3. To call him offensively challenged is pretty absurd. He also gets a very reasonable 2.7 assists a game and 1.8 offensive rebounds, so he also contributes in other ways offensively. There is no doubt for me that Porter is in the top 2, and he’s still number one on my board.

• Mar 23, 20132:36 pm
        by ShimmeringWang

(REPOSTED from the bottom)

Reasons to LOVE Otto Porter:
        1) Size: He’s a 6’8 SF. He’s a touch thin, but not embarrassingly so. This is not uncommon for 19 year olds, and shouldn’t be a tough fix at the next level.
        2) He’s an elite defender. At 6’8, he’ll be a defensive force against wings and stretch 4s into his 30s.
        3) He has an advanced offensive game. Good handles, good jumper off the dribble, and improved 3-point range (He’s shooting 40% this year, and that’s often something that really develops at the next level)
        4) He’s at least an adequate rebounder. It looks like he’s at 7.5/game this year, which seems fine given their pace. I’ve never heard him referred to as a rebounding monster, but I can’t imagine he’s lacking in that category.
        It seems to me like he’ll fill a number of roles: defensive wing stopper, secondary scorer, mismatch shooter.  Consider that he’s a good passer, and he can develop a high post or back to the basket game that would be criminal with Monroe/Drummond.
        I’d much rather have a 6’8? SF who plays elite defense and has no weaknesses than a better scorer. This team is being built in a very interesting way, and I think Porter fits in perfectly. An above average defender at the 2, an elite defender at the 3, an elite shot-blocker/rebounder. A weak on-ball defending PF and a no-defense pass-first sharp-shooting PG.
        If they can find offense from Knight, get Porter on the board, expect 18/10 from Monroe, and suddenly this is a team that has a base to really build on for the long term.

• Mar 23, 20138:52 am
    by Clint in Flint

How a losing coach can get an A boggles the mind. Maybe it’s the 10 games losing streak.

• Mar 23, 20133:48 pm

His team, with two of its best players injured, with three of its more reliable scorers shooting the ball terribly, played really well against the best team in the world that no one can beat right now. It’s really very simple. Lawrence Frank did everything that Lawrence Frank can do to have the Pistons ready to play well vs. the Heat, and for most of the game, they did play pretty well. Their gameplan was good. They played with effort. The Heat are just the Heat and the Pistons are the Pistons. That was the difference.

• Mar 23, 20135:09 pm
        by Clint in Flint

What does he get IF we win one?

• Mar 23, 20135:38 pm
          by G

Depends on if he coaches well or not. I seem to recall him getting some bad grades in wins because of his insistence on holding Drummond to 20 min or below.

• Mar 24, 20137:38 am

Frank, as G noted, has received poor grades in wins.

Honestly, the infatuation with blaming Frank for every single thing wrong with this team is obnoxious in the comments here. He’s a run of the mill below average coach. The NBA is FULL of them. And in fact, the Pistons have had two coaches worse than him in recent years.

Frank — and any coach — are essentially graded on four things from my perspective – Was there a noticeable gameplan? Was said gameplan a good one or bad one? How did he manage the rotation? Did he make necessary in-game adjustments?

In the Miami game, he did all of those things pretty well with a depleted roster against the best team in the league. The team vastly exceeded my expectations in this game, and Frank certainly deserves credit for that.

I get it. You dislike him and want him fired. That doesn’t mean I shouldn’t try and evaluate him semi-objectively on a game to game basis just like I try to do with every player on the roster.

• Mar 23, 20139:15 am
    by Blocks by Dre

Cleveland is messing up our chances of getting a shot at the 4th pick…can’t stand that team (or the state of Ohio) even more now

• Mar 23, 201310:48 am
      by Jacob

I know it, and some think Cleveland has a brighter future than Detroit. Kyrie is great, but when your best player plays half the games every year, good luck. They are in tank mode from day 1.

• Mar 23, 20131:55 pm

I think Cleveland has a brighter future because of all their prospects and picks.

But it’s true, as good as Irving is, his lack of durability is highly disconcerting.

• Mar 23, 20139:22 am
    by Blocks by Dre

BTW @Nick Porter is a good player and prospect with room to grow. Reminds me of a younger and less experienced Rudy Gay. You could make an argument that Noel and McLemore are better prospects but after that there’s really no one I would rather have. I wanted us to get Burke when we looked likely to have a pick in the 7-9 range but now that we have a decent shot at a top 4, maybe even top 3 pick we definitely should consider Otto. We need a SF and since free agency won’t help that cause (unless we try out Josh Smith in that position) then SF should be our biggest need

• Mar 23, 201310:32 am
      by G

Don’t see the Rudy Gay comp. Porter plays defense and has a better 3pt shot.

• Mar 23, 201312:26 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

Lebron is the only player that more athletic than Rudy Gay…. Porter even on that level …..Porter  more like Deng

• Mar 23, 20132:03 pm

If Otto Porter can be had, is as good as Paul George, the rest of the Pistons’ young guys improve slightly as young guys are wont to do, they can stay healthy, and the coaching staff lets Drummond play big minutes, especially alongside Monroe–that should be enough to have the Pistons at least vying for a top 4 seed. Especially if they can also pick up another big time contributor in FA.

• Mar 23, 20133:27 pm
            by oats

George is a good comparison. I love me some Paul George by the way. Probably part of why I’m so high on Porter.

• Mar 24, 20131:14 am

I so wish George was a FA this summer. He is the guy I would LOVE for the Pistons to get. A perfect fit for the current mix of guys.

• Mar 23, 20139:33 am
    by I HATE FRANK

Would have loved to see what we could have done with a healthy team against the Heat … but oh well ….

@Brandon Knight – Do you! At the end of the day its just a blog …
    @Patrick – I like your sarcasm
    @The Board – Lighten up guys like Brandon Knight and even “cherry picking me”  are good for places like this … We are glass half full types …. It keeps places like this interesting ….

Potter vs Shabazz both dissapointed

• Mar 24, 20137:39 am

You’re not in the category of commenters like Brandon Knight. As someone else pointed out, even if I or others argue with you, you do make reasonable attempts to back up what you say with facts or data. The annoying, unreadable comments are from the people who make no attempt to do those things and just rant.

• Mar 23, 201310:55 am
    by Pratik

I hate Kim English because he effed up my bracket…picked Missouri for him in the first round. FAIL! lol guess I have no soul either.

No but I would have rather seen Middleton play last night instead of Kim. Kim was just too small to guard anyone on Miami’s defense last night…and didn’t knock down open shots. I still loved the intensity and his intent was definitely on the right track, but sometimes things don’t go your way. His fouls were because he was just trying way too hard to help his team. That happens when your a rookie you can’t fault him because of that.

I’m happy the Pistons showed some heart today. And for all the people on this blog who were calling for a Greg Monroe trade you can suck it hard! Monroe is the best player on this roster as of now. Drummond may have the most upside, but Greg isn’t going anywhere.

I’ve always said I wouldn’t like to resign Calderon, and wished that he got an opportunity on a consistent playoff team or contender, I was about to change my mind, as he played just an amazing first half. So much confidence with his passing and shooting, he was controlling the game. I loved that he sprinted up the floor each time and tried to push the tempo whenever he could. But he just didn’t do that in the 2nd half. I don’t believe that him and Brandon Knight should start together next year, or are a good starting back court for us, only because of their size. I think BK with his much improved defense is more effective at the 1 for us. I hope that we continue to lose more games and draft a solid shooting guard like Mclemore or Oladipo, if we go with Porter then we have to target a shooting guard in free agency like Mayo.

Kyle Singler was outstanding, I actually thought his defense on Lebron was exceptional in the first half, but I also thought that Lebron was saving his energy for the 2nd half and in particular for the 4th quarter. Singler definitely showed us yesterday that he can start at the 3, he has it in him, but the main thing with this team is consistency. No one besides Monroe or Calderon play this hard on a nightly basis. Yesterday the entire team played hard, except for WILL BYNUM! I thought he was horrible.

• Mar 23, 201311:08 am
      by G

Monroe was especially disasterous on D though. He lost Chris Anderson several times for open layups.

• Mar 23, 20133:06 pm
      by oats

I loved picking against Missouri against Norfolk St. I’d seen a few games and knew O’Quinn was really good. Plus I hate Missouri’s coach. He can recruit, but man is he a bad coach.

• Mar 23, 201311:13 am
    by Pratik

Yeah but when that happened he was usually helping out Stuckey who was guarding Lebron, or doubling on someone, which was required. If he looses his man, it’s Jonas or Maxiel who have to switch and protect the rim.

It gets tough with Miami as they have guys like Shane Battier, Ray Allen, who spread the floor and just chill at the three point line, so Jonas was way too far away for plays like that.

But it’s all good, because we will have Drummond and hopefully a guy like Porter at the 3 or Oladipo at the 2 next year.

• Mar 23, 20135:40 pm
      by G

There’s a difference between helping out & ball watching. He was ball watching.

• Mar 23, 201312:31 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

If we draft a SG… Knight moves back to PG…. It just means the style of play has to change… our record as a team got worst with Calderon …NOT BLAMING HIM, but it shows he’s not a savior for this team

• Mar 23, 201312:57 pm
    by ShimmeringWang

Reasons to LOVE Otto Porter:

I’d much rather have a 6’8″ SF who plays elite defense and has no weaknesses than a better scorer. This team is being built in a very interesting way, and I think Porter fits in perfectly. An above average defender at the 2, an elite defender at the 3, an elite shot-blocker/rebounder. A weak on-ball defending PF and a no-defense pass-first sharp-shooting PG.

• Mar 23, 20133:10 pm
      by oats

I have to agree with most of this. The only thing I’d point out is that Monroe is truly awful help defender, but is slightly more competent on ball. His biggest weakness as a defender is in the post, but at the 4 he’ll do that a bit less and have Drummond nearby to help out. He’ll still be bad, but I think he’ll look much better than he has at center. Porter fills the team’s needs better than any player in the draft.

• Mar 23, 20133:50 pm
        by Tom Y.

What about Oladipo? An elite perimeter defender who can slash and shoot, and brings great toughness and energy. I know his shooting percentages won’t look like they have this season, but I think they will end up somewhere between his first two years and this one. That’s good enough, given his great D and hustle. Knight moves into 3rd guard Vinnie Johnson role where he could be a real plus. Sign Kyle Korver to start ahead of Singler and we’ve got a really nice starting 5 plus two really useful players off the bench.

Calderon/Knight
        Oladipo/Knight/English
        Korver/Singler/Middleton
        Moose/JJ
        Dre/Slava (or 2nd round big)

• Mar 23, 20134:18 pm
          by oats

Oladipo doesn’t shoot much from anywhere on the court, especially from 3. While he’s shooting a really high percentage this year, last year he was about 25% worse on 3 point attempts. I’m not willing to count on him being an above average shooter at the next level, and his ball handling needs work before he can start to become a threat in the half court. I really like Oladipo, but I have him as third on my board and rated well behind both Porter and McLemore even if I do think he’s the best perimeter defender in the draft. His offense is just too shaky to put him above those guys, and they both project as quality defensive players even if they aren’t on Oladipo’s level defensively.

By the way, calling Korver part of a really good starting 5 is stretching it a bit. He’s not that good. I just don’t see how that is better than adding Mayo or Reddick at the two and Porter at the 3, or even leaving Knight at the 2 next to Porter and adding any shooter to come off the bench on the wing. There are a lot of shooters on the wing. I mean, is Korver that much better than Roger Mason Jr. or Anthony Morrow? Not really, and the fact that they are much cheaper leaves us free to pursue a 3rd big man in free agency so we don’t have to hope JJ can turn it around. If we go with Porter then the starters will be much better defensively than if Kover is starting because the drop off to Korver is just steeper than the drop off from Oladipo to Porter.

• Mar 23, 20134:23 pm
          by ShimmeringWang

I like Oladipo a ton. He’s an incredible athlete and a lock-down defender with some room for growth on offense.

On the other hand, he’s a tad bit undersized, and can’t really play small forward in the NBA. I prefer Porter’s length and ability to play and check opposing SFs. I’d rather keep Knight on the floor, and use him as a scoring guard, which is tough to do if you bring Oladipo into the mix. That said, I’m not a huge Knight believer to begin with, so while I definitely think he is a useful piece, I wouldn’t be upset if he got moved to a 3rd guard combo role, and if Oladipo is there, I’d be really happy if we snapped him up.

• Mar 23, 20134:36 pm
            by oats

Just for the record, Oladipo might be undersized at the 3, but he is perfectly fine at the 2. Yeah, that pushes Knight to third guard like you said, but I’m not convinced that is a problem. I’ve long thought that would be the best way to use Knight, even if his play lately has got me a little encouraged that he might become a starting shooting guard. Knight just hasn’t done enough to justify worrying about if he will start when it comes to the draft. I like Porter better because I think he’s a better player, not because I give a crap about Knight’s role going forward. I also feel like pointing out that Oladipo was the best at defending small forwards in the country this year, so I wouldn’t completely rule out going small with him at the 3. He’s probably the second best small forward in the draft even if I don’t see him as a small forward. The one exception is if Bennet can play the 3, but I see him as an undersized 4.

• Mar 23, 20134:52 pm
            by ShimmeringWang

Oladipo is, listed at what, 6’5? If he’s a full 6’5, that very small for a SF, just passable at the SG spot. I love Oladipo, but he really needs to turn into an offensive weapon — great outside shooter, great penetrator — to be a star. If he were 6’8″ and playing the wing, it might be a different story.

I love ‘Dipo, but I’m IN LOVE with Ottoman.

• Mar 23, 20135:13 pm
            by oats

I’m not arguing he won’t be small if he has to play small forward. This draft just stinks for SFs in the lottery. After Porter we’re looking at maybe Muhammad if he’s big enough, and he looks like an inefficient chucker. Oh, and Poythress who wasn’t particularly productive and took a back seat to Archie Goodwin even though Goodwin isn’t that good. I’m out of lottery caliber small forwards already unless your buying into Robinson III. Robinson is an inch taller than Oladipo, isn’t a particularly physical guy, is less athletic than Oladipo, and he looks like a shoting guard to me. Robinson is also a bad 3 point shooter, and he is reasonably likely to stay in school. Yeah, I’d rather play Oladipo out of position over those guys because Oladipo’s been really good defending small forwards.

Oh, and 6’5″ is not just passable at shooting guard. It’s pretty much average. 6’6″ is often thought of as tall for that position, and 6’4″ is still adequate. Knight is 6’3″, and you seem ok with playing him at the 2. Considering that, it’s hard to call Oladipo’s height just passable.

• Mar 23, 20135:44 pm
            by ShimmeringWang

I suppose adequate would have been a better word choice than passable, but since he’s potentially shorter than his listed height — I’ve seen him described as “undersized” here and there, even when listed as a guard — I doubt his height is more likely to be a disadvantage than an advantage, especially considering the fluid nature of NBA lineups.

Like you said, though, his elite athleticism and motor make it likely he can defend NBA SFs if they play small. I mean, it’s not like teams run out the prototypical 1-2-3-4-5 lineup all the time, so his ability to defend 1-2-3 is all that really matters, right?

TL;DR I wish he were a little bit taller, but he’s a baller, and athletic enough to mitigate my concerns re: height

• Mar 23, 20136:06 pm
            by G

Say Oladipo’s 6’4″… He’s got a super long wingspan, maybe 7ft or longer. That’s gotta make up for maybe being an inch shorter than the average SG, right?

• Mar 24, 20131:17 am

I like Oladipo, but, as an older player, he has less room to grow than some other prospects. That drops him from my first tier (McLemore and Porter) to my second tier (Noel, Bennet, and Oladipo).

• Mar 23, 20132:17 pm
    by qm_22

Once again here to complain about the great shammockery of Singler getting graded too high. From his box score it does look productive, and he did a good job of knocking down open shots, but he also had his complete repetoire of play-fumbling that hurt us without showing up on the box score. Singler is often scared to make a basic pass and slows down the ball movement and lets Miami’s defense get away with pressure or guys slipping by. I don’t blame him for being scared given his history, but he is a disaster with the ball in his hands. A good example was when Singler was inbounding the ball and after a lot of decoys and screens Jose breaks free to get wide open and receive the ball. Singler hesitates for some reason and allows Chalmers (or maybe Cole I forgot) to get within centimeters of Calderon far in the backcourt when he does finally pass, with Calderon unable to proceed.
    In earlier consecutive possessions Singler had the ball, had a little bit of pressure and dribbles backwards in an overprotective manner, which enticed Miami to pressure him more and gain an advantage both times. Singler needed someone to come in and be super, super safe to make the pass, and one of the second of these consecutive plays resulted in a turnover and the first a messed up offensive set.
    Then it became obvious in the half court Miami was helping off of Singler’s man. There was then only one open man to pass to, Singler. And if he wasn’t shooting it was a offensive-killer for the Pistons. This happened a lot in the 2nd half when we started going away from good execution through Monroe, Calderon, and even Stuckey.
    Why on Earth is he playing so many minutes? Still riding his first 9 games of the season? He’s just god awful, routinely. I preferred when Hill was playing Middleton.

• Mar 23, 20133:53 pm

Haha, classic. The illogical ramblings of people here … wow. I have to stop reading this crap.

• Mar 23, 20135:42 pm
        by G

There need to be more paragraph breaks or I lose it after the 2nd sentence.

• Mar 23, 20137:56 pm
        by qm_22

Well, it doesn’t look like you did read by any evidence available. But, if it offended you that someone elaborated a bit on why Singler was vomit-inducing again, I’m glad he has someone sticking up for him since it also might mean some scout out there thinks he has trade value. Though, I doubt it, since it seems like every team that we play has Singler’s weakness on their scouting report and I haven’t seen anyone watching a Piston fan stick up for Singler since at least midseason. I’m sure Singler fatigue will hit you too one day if you are not distracted by the numerous other problems on this team.

re: Frank’s coaching…
        We had 14 points in the 3rd quarter, 22 points midway through the 4th, and only a few well-executed plays. You credit Frank for executing vs. the Heat, but it looks like there was no execution once the Heat got slightly serious. That’s fine, although by this standard every coach would get an A vs. the Heat most of the time.
        Glad I made your worst posters list, I would argue I should win this award on quality since I only post ~10 times a season.

• Mar 23, 201310:34 pm
          by G

“Quality” being the operative word… Watch the textual diarrhea, homey. I got “Singler’s getting graded too high-blahblahblahblahblah”

Here’s why Singler gets cred – he played the better D on LeBron than anyone else on the team is capable of, he actually shot the ball well, and he rebounded well. If you’re upset because he can’t break guys down off the dribble or something, c’mon. He’s a limited player, but he’s been playing well inside himself, and he had a good game last night. He’s NOT this team’s problem.

• Mar 23, 201311:22 pm
            by qm_22

Well, I get that you got as far as the first sentence by your lack of a point, since it responded to an imaginary criticism I didn’t write. Singler’s defense on LeBron wasn’t the problem. He constantly fumbles plays.
            He gets targeted frequently when he’s on defense though, since you brought it up. If you go beyond the Heat game you see guys set up their half-court by letting Singler’s man attack, and it usually works. Pretty sure he’s on the scouting report as a liability. Singler is the only guy I’ve seen routinely set picks for the other team and has the ability to rotate defensively that I doubt is D-league level.
            He makes a lot of crappy mistakes which hurt his team and don’t show on the box score. E.g., hesitating on pass to the point it allows the defense to recover and anticipate and putting the receiver in an awkward position. His bumbling incompetence breaks up plays. On offense, too, he seems to be on the scouting report. Last night they were helping off Singler, leaving him open. That is how we began a lot of our half-court sets last night. Go to the 3 point line and pass to the open Singler.
            Singler is the first Piston I’ve seen getting Michael Curry comparisons for his inability to get benched by bad play.

• Mar 23, 20132:45 pm
    by qm_22

Also… how is Frank getting an A for a stretch of a moral victory. I doubt Frank’s efforts are what motivated our players. The Pistons get up for Miami and have for years, as do a lot of other lotto teams against the Heat, especially now they are defending the title. A **lot** of lotto teams have come close to beating Miami. Clearly Miami playing down to competition is a factor. You can assume Frank is to be credited for Monroe’s good game, but there was a huge discrepancy in the amount of touches, shots, and assists made by Monroe after he hurt Miami in the first half, and the execution was awful in that half. And the absence of touches did not come from more attention being on Monroe and easier opportunities for teammates, we simply did not initiate through him. If Frank is credited for designing Monroe’s stellar first half, he is culpable for not taking advantage of his team’s best asset. That was a total disaster of a 2nd half all around.

• Mar 23, 20133:57 pm

Oh, you wrote more? Wonderful!

‘how is Frank getting an A for a stretch of a moral victory”

He’s not. He got an A because the Pistons were prepared well, had a decent gameplan to go to Monroe a lot, executed said gameplan and played hard and competitively against the best team in the world. Frank got an A because he did everything a coach can do in a single game. There weren’t instances in this game anyone could realistically point to and say, “Frank didn’t adjust to this” or “Frank’s rotation made no sense.” You can say those things in most games.

Someone above suggested having a March Madness style bracket of worst commenters on PistonPowered. Between you, robertbayer and Brandon Knight, I think we have three of our four No. 1 seeds.

• Mar 23, 20134:26 pm
        by ShimmeringWang

Admittedly I am new here, but I hope I HATE FRANK is in the discussion for the last spot on the top line.

• Mar 23, 20135:45 pm
          by G

Nope, FRANK is an 8 seed. I think he says something insightful for every crazy thing he says.

• Mar 23, 20137:58 pm
          by qm_22

I don’t know what he did but by his username he seems like he is keenly observant of basketball.

• Mar 23, 20134:22 pm
    by ShimmeringWang

• Mar 23, 20134:46 pm
    by T Casey

I know we played Miami, but an A grade for coaching after a 17 point loss is a bit generous. I know they came out tough in the first half, but we still wound up getting blown out in the end.

• Mar 23, 20134:55 pm
    by T Casey

Oh yeah, great game by Monroe. He completely dominated the matchup with Bosh.

• Mar 24, 20133:39 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I think you guys are hyping Porter up a bit to much