Off to Charlotte…

Essentials

• Teams: Detroit Pistons (23-47) at Charlotte Bobcats (16-52)
  • Date: March 23, 2013
  • Time: 7:00 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

Something has to give tonight.

The Detroit Pistons have won 8-of-34 road games this season while the Charlotte Bobcats have been victorious in 10-of-34 contests at home.

One trend will have to take a brief pause tonight when these teams square off.

The Pistons have lost 10 games in a row entering the matchup this evening and will desperately be attempting to remedy the situation.

Unfortunately for the Pistons’ faithful, Detroit was part of history Friday night on the road in Miami. After opening the contest with a great offensive showing, Lawrence Frank’s unit faltered in the second half and gave Miami their 25th straight win.

Greg Monroe was dominant against the Heat’s diminutive frontline and his play coupled with Jose Calderon’s allowed the Pistons to drop 54 points in the first half.

Erik Spoelstra had his team turn up the pressure in the second half and Miami seemingly snuffed out every Piston play.

In the game’s preview, we had pointed out that outrebounding the Heat wouldn’t be sufficient and it wasn’t. Detroit was dominant on this front, grabbing 47 rebounds to Miami’s 33 but it hardly mattered.

Charlotte on the other hand is coming off a victory Wednesday night against the Toronto Raptors. The win gave the Bobcats their first back-to-back set of victories since November.

Their great offensive showing against Toronto came as a product of their interior assault combined with their outside shooting. The Bobs scored 46 points in the paint and converted 8-of-16 shots from 3-point range.

The Pistons should allocate a fair amount of defensive attention to Byron Mullens when the teams meet tonight. For whatever reason, teams tend to lose track of him be it on the perimeter or on the boards, which gives him multiple easy scoring opportunities.

Mullens was a terror against the Raptors, pouring in 25 points on an efficient 7-of-11 field goal shooting.

Read about the Bobcats

Queen City Hoops.

• Mar 23, 20135:59 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Ladies and gentlemen lets welcome Brandon Knight back to the lineup!

• Mar 23, 20136:34 pm
    by gmehl

At this point of the season is winning really winning? As far as i can see winning will be doing a lot worse for us than good and you all know what i mean so i won’t spell it out.

• Mar 23, 20138:47 pm
    by jinzzy

and people want to bring back calderon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mar 23, 20139:14 pm
      by oats

Yep. I’d consider making a point here, but you didn’t bother with it either.

• Mar 23, 20139:17 pm
      by Brandon Knight

Yeah I love the passes, yeah I love the leadership, yeah I love field goal percentage, and yeah I love the assists/turnover ratio. But since Calderon joined the Pistons, the Pistons have been so terrible. I don’t know but when Knight was playing the PG position the pistons were playing better. That doesn’t mean Knight should switch back to PG position, I actually like him a lot playing SG position. The pistons shouldn’t sign him this offseason and should try to get Trey Burke in this draft.

• Mar 23, 20139:25 pm
        by oats

Yeah, but that isn’t the cause and effect. Calderon didn’t make the team bad. The team was healthier before he arrived, therefor they looked better. The schedule also got harder pretty soon after Calderon took over, and that helped contribute to their apparent decline. Also, not long after he arrived the team had given up on the season. That’s not on Calderon, that’s on the team. The team is worse because they are playing worse, not because Calderon is screwing things.

• Mar 23, 20139:27 pm
          by oats

*screwing things up… Although I guess screwing things would work too.

• Mar 23, 20139:32 pm
            by Brandon Knight

lol… What do you think of Trey Burke? I saw him play today, and he was good. I think he can be the next Chris Paul. The Pistons really should try to draft him and put him next to Brandon Knight.

• Mar 23, 20139:34 pm
            by Vince

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Trey is generously listed at 6’0, I’m not sure he has the tools to succeed in the NBA, he is a good passer but I’m not sure it’ll translate to the next level. I’d rather take a PG in the 2nd Round: Kabongo (If we’re lucky), Brown or McCallum.

• Mar 23, 20139:43 pm
            by oats

I like Burke a lot. Most would say he’s not the next Chris Paul because he’s not quite as quick as Chris Paul. Then again, one legged Chris Paul after his injury was still pretty great. The real reason he can’t be Chris Paul is that Paul is an elite defender while Burke is only a decent defender. Plus it’s always foolish to compare someone to the best player at his position on the planet. Just saying.

Burke doesn’t top my draft board, but he is a guy I’d be really happy to get. Even if we did, that doesn’t mean Calderon couldn’t come back. If Calderon’s contract is front loaded then he could start for a year while Burke adjusted to the NBA game and then switch to a reserve role and be possibly the best back up point guard in the league with a salary appropriate for that role. I’m good with that. More than that though, if the plan is to bring Calderon back then the team won’t feel unduly pressured to get Burke and can instead just get the best player available. It definitely could be Burke anyways, but I’m hoping the pick is high enough to get one of the guys I have ranked ahead of him.

• Mar 23, 20139:51 pm
            by oats

@Vince. Why can’t Burke’s passing translate? The way he passes reminds me a lot of Calderon actually, using movement to set up safe passes. The last few games he’s been a little turnover prone, but I still see his passing to hold up.

Also, Chris Paul is 6’1″ and Ty Lawson is 6′, that doesn’t seem to hold them back much. Heck, Zeke was probably generously listed at 6’1″. The kid is a good basketball player.

By the way, Kabongo is turnover happy. In the second round that’s a risk you take, but I definitely don’t like him nearly as much as Burke.

• Mar 23, 201310:01 pm
            by Vince

Oats. By no way was my comment supposed to diss Burke, I like him, I really do, I’m just worried that his size will limit him in the NBA. He is a great passer, he is an average defender and he can usually take care of the ball.I’d be happy to take him, but I do have my reservations.

The thing with Paul and Lawson is that they’re more aggressive, they’re very athletic (well at least Lawson is) and make up for their stature by being knockdown shooters and very fast. I’m not saying Burke can’t become more athletic, aggressive or a deadeye shooter, but I’m just weary of who we pick depending on where we pick. If we get a top 5 pick, I’d be a bit reluctant to draft him there, if it was 6-10 I wouldn’t mind as much, 10+ yeah I’d jump of him for sure. I just want a surefire draft this year, I’m sick of cellar dwelling with the other crappy NBA teams.

• Mar 23, 201310:06 pm
            by Vince

And in regards to his passing, I’m more referring to its efficiency TO wise. I know young guards tend to make mistakes, but I’m not sure whether his passing well be as effective as in college. Size has a bit to do with that, but the NBA is much more different than college and will take some adapting, a lot of point guards have failed previously because they couldn’t adapt.

• Mar 23, 201310:19 pm
            by oats

Burke’s tendency to be aggressive is actually one of the things I don’t like about him. He occasionally decides he needs to carry the offense and starts rushing things too much. But it seems like I just took that comment as being more critical than it was intended to be. We seem to have similar ratings on Burke actually. The Pistons could easily be in the 7-9 range, and if they are then Burke is the guy who is most likely to be atop my draft board when they make their pick. I’m actually really good with that scenario though because I’m really high on Burke.

• Mar 24, 201312:07 am
            by gmehl

Another PG to look at who might be there early in the 2nd round is Isaiah Canaan from Murray State. He could effectively end up being Will Bynum’s replacement. IMO i think he’ll be gone early in the 1st round though.

• Mar 23, 20139:29 pm
          by Vince

^ This. Calderon has nothing to do with the shitty turn the season has taken.

• Mar 23, 20139:35 pm
            by Brandon Knight

Man Calderon’s defense is killing the Pistons! Every single point guard he plays against shits on him.

• Mar 23, 20139:39 pm
            by Vince

So his shitty defense – only his – is the reason we’re getting blown out by 30 points? Yeah sure. Keep thinking that buddy.

• Mar 23, 201310:11 pm
            by G

Yeah, if Calderon could’ve shut down Dwyane Wade last night, they win. The Miami game was entirely his fault.

• Mar 23, 20139:26 pm
    by Vince

Well Moose got the memo. CV didn’t. We’re tanking damn it! I’d be happy to lose the rest of our games for the season! Winning ain’t improving our lottery odds.

• Mar 23, 20139:39 pm
      by Brandon Knight

This is related to Calderon, I can’t reply there anymore! So did you see today what Pargo and Walker did to him… and did you see the difference when Knight started guarding

• Mar 23, 20139:51 pm
        by Vince

Lets go back Pre-Calderon and see how many PGs torched Brandon Knight. He is better defensively than Calderon, I’ll give you that but Jose brings more to the table. Like Blocks by Dre said: “that’s where Drummond comes in and his presence will make others think twice before going to the paint after driving past Jose.”

Unlike Knight, Calderon can pass, pass well, pass accurately and take care of the ball. We don’t need him to drop 30 on a team when he can just get 8 assists and 1 TO. Heck, thats what he got tonight! Knight got what, 4AST 5TOs? His responsibility is to shoot and he couldn’t even do that efficiently. Like it or not Calderon is a better option offensively at this point, Knight will hopefully get better and become more consistent and take care of the ball but until then I’d rather have Jose on the roster.

• Mar 23, 20139:59 pm
        by oats

Knight aptly showed the argument for and against Calderon. His defense was better, that part is true. He also shot inefficiently and turned it over 5 times. That’s why Calderon still had the better game, even with his crappy defense.

• Mar 23, 201310:12 pm
        by G

@Brandon Knight – just please shut up

• Mar 23, 201310:20 pm
          by Brandon Knight

Excuse me! Who are you to tell me shut up! If you don’t like my comment don’t read them!!!

• Mar 23, 201310:22 pm
            by Brandon Knight

@G I don’t know how you consider yourself a writer with that attitude!

• Mar 23, 201310:43 pm
            by G

You say the same crap, have nothing to back it up with, and it makes no sense. Overandoverandoverandover….

I’m tired of it. Find something new to say.

• Mar 23, 201310:51 pm
            by G

Knight plays better D than Calderon, but turns it over an obscene amount and doesn’t have a consistent shot. The Pistons’ problems before adding Calderon were shooting, turnovers, and defense (in order). Since acquiring Calderon, their problems have been shooting, defense, and injuries.

It’s not like defense wasn’t a problem before. Calderon isn’t the straw that broke the camel’s back, his back was already broken. Get real.

• Mar 23, 201311:02 pm
            by G

Btw, I would hardly be the first writer to tell someone spouting drivel to shut up.

• Mar 23, 20139:55 pm
      by Herman Neutic

This is the worst game of the year by far. They needed this loss. I’ve rooted for Villanueva in the past but no more. He gets an F because he goes 7 for 13, which includes four 3s, in 20 minutes of playing time. On top of that he goes and makes the winning basket with only 15 seconds left. Frank gets a D for not getting CV out of there. Of course, Monroe gets an A. Maxiell gets a D. Stuckey gets a D for shooting 5 for 8 with 8 assists, but not an F because he had those 8 turnovers. But the real villain was Ben Gordon. He shoots one of seven with 3 turnovers in 15 minutes, plus in the waning minutes he gets a key technical foul, which turns out to be the winning margin. Gordon must really hate the Pistons.

• Mar 23, 201310:03 pm
        by oats

Mornoe’s passing played a huge part in that win. Heck, he assisted on Charlie’s baskets to close the game out. 9 rebounds, 8 assists, 2 steals, and only 1 turnover. That’s at most a B-, maybe a C+ assuming that the goal was losing. He did shoot really poorly though.

• Mar 23, 20139:28 pm
    by Edgar

So, Villanueva is probably my least favorite Piston of all time. He is the absolute king of worsening our draft position in the season’s garbage time. I truly hope this crappy win against the worse team in the league in a lost season led by a worthless player who shouldn’t even be on the team let alone getting minutes helps Frank sleep better tonight. Because, seriously, who needs a top-three pick?

• Mar 23, 20139:53 pm
      by frankie d

this is a charlie v special.
      the guy doesn’t show up when it counts, but when the games are meaningless, he turns into the player everyone always hopes he’ll be.
      must admit, CV looked awesome tonight and he played the way everyone who’s always gambled on him – like joe d – has always imagined he could play.
      the dunk on the high/low pass from monroe was one of the prettiest plays the pistons have run since frank came on board.  and it was one of the few times they have come out of a timeout and actually ran something that worked.
      hated the win.   loved the way stuckey and max and CV played.
      if only the team had a coach who knew how to use those guys over the course of a season, all 3 could be productive rotation players.  instead of being guys who tease you with inconsistency.

• Mar 23, 20139:28 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Here we go we won when Brandon Knight came back :P lol….. He didn’t shoot that well, but he played good defense. The Pistons should try to setup more plays for him. In the second half they didn’t pass it to him when he was open.

• Mar 23, 20139:32 pm
      by Vince

They were probably scared he’d turn it over again.

• Mar 23, 20139:43 pm
        by Brandon Knight

Actually the Bobcats guards were playing good defense. Anyways how would he turn it over when he is open to shoot the jump shot!!!

• Mar 23, 201310:08 pm
          by Vince

Believe me he’d find a way.

• Mar 23, 201310:36 pm
            by G

It’s not technically a turnover, but bricking open shots that the other team rebounds is KIND of a turnover, right?

• Mar 23, 20139:33 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

Well, the Pistons record wise have been worse since Calderon came over, but I’m sure that has a lot more to do with Drummond being out than anything. Calderon is a good PG and great at setting up players but when it comes to defense…the man probably couldn’t guard Ben Wallace at the perimeter! But again, that’s where Drummond comes in and his presence will make others think twice before going to the paint after driving past Jose. I’m really on the fence with signing him over the summer or letting him walk because if we keep winning against teams that are really bad like tonight (and I know we have at least 6-7 something games left we here we go against so legitimate scrubs) we might fall out of the top 5 and have to look in the 6-8 range in the draft. I rather us get Porter or McLemore but if we fall and them and Victor are gone then I’m going right back to preaching to the quire about BURKE! If we get him then I don’t want to sign Calderon and want to move on to building our young core. If we do suck to our potential (pause) and get a top 3 pick and its not a PG then I wouldn’t mind keeping Calderon around.

• Mar 23, 20139:40 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

anyone else bummed that we won?

• Mar 23, 20139:46 pm
      by Venice

ME ME ME !fck it would really help us if we lose this one .higher chance to get McLemore. Damn!

• Mar 23, 20139:46 pm
      by Brandon Knight

I actually didn’t care if we won. They season is over! and losing is better than winning

• Mar 23, 20139:49 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Why can’t I damn reply to a reply!!!!! It looks like you can only reply once for me. Vince and Oats can reply multiple times???? how come?

• Mar 23, 20139:55 pm
      by oats

Because I’m better at the internets than you.

• Mar 23, 201310:36 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

If BK needs the summer of the heal properly, just sit him and Drummond….I
    Don’t even care at this point

• Mar 23, 201310:45 pm
    by baines

Not sure what this has to do with anything, but, boy is Ben Gordon playing bad!  1 – 7 from the floor with 3 turnovers in just 15 minutes!

• Mar 23, 201310:56 pm
    by G

If Charlie V played like that every other game or so, he’d have earned his contract

• Mar 24, 20131:06 am
    by Moparguy

I dont want to beat up on Calderon. He is a very good PG.  Just not for this team.  As mentioned he is a defensive liability against most PG’s in the league. He would be best on a team that is offense based with and established star or 2 that has a good shot at outscoring their opponent. Like Dallas for example. He would thrive in their system.

His strengths are minimized and his deficiencies are much more glaring. With him on the team the Pistons will now have 4 positions that they will routinely have the less athletic player on the floor. And while just  having better athletes isn’t a recipe for success, You simply cant be a mismatch at every position with the exception of Drummond.  I would much rather see them put Knight back at the point and find and actual good SG.  That way you can live with Monroe and Singlers weaknesses alot better.

Also dumping all the dead weight that is on their bench would be a nice move also.  While I am no fan of Stucky at least he can play D.  Why on earth Charlie hasn’t been amnestied yet is beyond me,

• Mar 24, 20131:18 am

Thank you!

• Mar 24, 20133:44 pm
    by Greg

Lokking at the remaining schedules of all lottery teams the pistons have one of the easiest schedules for the rest of the season. They will probably end up with the 8th pick this year which means that McLemore, Porter and Oladipa will alle be gone at the time they pick.

• Mar 24, 201310:46 pm

With only 11 remaining games, I wouldn’t lay odds on Detroit catching very many teams.