Larry Bird still hates Bill Laimbeer

Easily the best thing about 1980s and early 1990s NBA basketball was the development of blood feuds. There are rivalries today, but the ones experienced back then are truly remarkable, to the point that the participants will never, ever move past them. The latest example, in the video above, is Larry Bird still discussing his dislike of Pistons legend Bill Laimbeer with Grantland’s Bill Simmons.

• Mar 20, 201312:36 pm
    by G

Funny how everyone still hates Laimbeer. He wants to coach & I think he’d be good as an NBA head coach, but too many people hate his ass.

On the other hand, nobody still hates Mahorn, the original bad boy.

• Mar 20, 20131:11 pm
      by Jeremy

Interesting that the writer discusses Mahorn being ready to lead a team – either via coaching or the front office. Everyone always brings up Laimbeer’s name, but I think it would be interesting to see what Mahorn could do leading the charge.

• Mar 20, 201312:49 pm
    by Derek AKA Redeemed

They’re afraid to hate Mahorn.

• Mar 20, 20131:47 pm
    by DoctorDave

I understand Bird’s hatred of Laimbeer; I still hate Bird.

• Mar 20, 20132:27 pm
    by MIKEYDE248

He was probably one of the mosted hated players in sports, but one of the mosted loved by Pistons fans.  Every coach and player out there said they hated him, but would take him to play on their own team in a heart beat.

I would love to see him coaching in the NBA, hopefully it will be with the Pistons.

• Mar 20, 20133:13 pm
      by tim

Im with you mikeyDE.  Dude was great in his stint with the Shock (RIP).  He can clearly coach and would not allow his players to take plays off. I think he would be great on the pistons.

• Mar 20, 20134:39 pm
    by Clint in Flint

Laimbeers strong point is he knows how to win. He is a proven winner. I’d like to see Laimbeer coach the Pistons and beat the Pacers every time they play. It would make a great rivalry .

• Mar 20, 20135:20 pm
    by Big Rick

I think today’s equivalent to Rick Mahorn and Lambeer’s nastiness is Reggie Evans, minus the flopping. Lol. Not saying his level of physicality pis on par with either but with how the game is played nowadays him, Camby, my man from the Grizzlies. I’m at a lost, the 2 guard…. they all play with that sort of mean streak.

• Mar 20, 20135:23 pm
    by Big Rick

I HATE it when we go up against Reggie Evans but I would live if we could bring him in on the cheap this offseason. Maybe show our bigs how to play with a chip on their shoulders and bring some toughness to front court CONSISTENTLY!

• Mar 20, 20136:03 pm
    by Big Rick

Live = love

• Mar 20, 20138:21 pm
    by hoophabit

This confirms my view of Bird, although incredibly talented, as a prima donna pu$$y.  What player was ever seriously injured by Bill Laimbeer?  Did he ever do anything so egregious as Parish’s assault on Laimbeer from behind?  Sure, Bill was very physical in the style of his era, but I can’t remember ever witnessing him clearly trying to injure another player.  I’d love it if he were given a chance to coach the Pistons.  The man can coach.

• Mar 20, 20139:33 pm
    by robertbayer

As a Piston Fan .. I find it pure looney that bums like Curry, Kuester, and Frank have been coaching the Pistons even though they never succeeded at anything. They each have been spectacular failures and yet never deserved the chance to coach and there was never even a good basis to say they should have been chosen to coach the Pistons. I still resent the fact Laimbeer has not been given a chance to coach the Detroit Pistons, a team he would never allow to fail.

• Mar 20, 201310:53 pm
      by Chris N

Hoophabit,

Maybe you should write a letter to the Pistons telling them how offended you are that they’ve hired “bums” and resent that Laimbeer hasn’t been given a chance to coach the Pistons.

• Mar 20, 201310:04 pm
    by Vic

Laimbeer has to be the Pistons next coach

• Mar 22, 20138:18 am
    by mera

[... ]you a chance to go through or look at the content or maybe sites looking for associated with below the[... ]… mera http://flatratewebsupport.com/wiki/index.php?title=Prime-ten-Tips-for-World-wide-web-Entrepreneurs

• Aug 19, 201310:48 pm