Hornets a better team going forward?

Essentials

• Teams: Detroit Pistons (23-37) at New Orleans Hornets (20-39)
  • Date: March 1, 2013
  • Time: 8:00 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

The Detroit Pistons will resume their three-game road trip tonight with a stop in Louisiana to face the New Orleans Hornets. The contest away from home is going to raise an uncomfortable question for the Detroit faithful: which roster is preferable going forward?

One might be inclined to immediately side with Detroit given the presence of a potential elite big man in Greg Monroe coupled with the ever-promising Andre Drummond.

The Georgetown product should at least remain a Piston until the summer of 2015 while Drummond is a sure bet to remain with the franchise until the 2017 offseason.

Also, Brandon Knight has shown flashes of brilliance that suggest he may well become a top-flight lead guard one day and his qualifying offer would kick in for the 2015-16 season.

Jose Calderon may choose to stick around for the long haul, but he is projected to become a free agent at the end of this season and the Pistons are scheduled to have a bit of cap room to potentially spend on a player or two.

But here’s the tricky thing: the Hornets have roughly those same advantages if not more.

The Pistons have more victories than the Hornets, but their records are quite similar and the Hollinger Power Rankings indicate that Monty Williams’ team has played tougher opponents by virtue of the conference they compete in.

Things get interesting when we look at the Hornets’ salaries for the foreseeable future. Barring any trades, the core of Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson and Anthony Davis will remain together until the summer of 2016.

Anthony Davis’ rookie deal would tentatively expire at the conclusion of the 2016-17, thus giving the franchise time to possibly surround him with more talent.

Keep in mind, New Orleans should in fact have as much cap room available this summer as Detroit. The Hornets’ future seems to include Greivis Vasquez (third in the league in assists per game) who is signed until the end of the 2014-15 season to a contract paying him peanuts in comparison to the NBA’s top assist leaders.

The New Orleans Hornets have a young roster, but all of the players will be given a chance to grow together as the team gains experience through trial and error.

The last point is particularly interesting given that they have been awful defensively this year, a fact that can be attributed to their youth and inexperience. Two seasons ago, Monty Williams’ defense was ranked in the top 10 (in terms of points allowed per 100 possessions) and progressively got worse as the roster became younger.

It stands to reason that he will once again be able to implement his sound principles with the team as they gain more experience and understand the finer details of NBA defenses.

Thus, it’s quite difficult to project for these Pistons to ascend more rapidly than these Hornets. The one wildcard in all of this though could be the strength or lack there of in the east.

The Milwaukee Bucks and Philadelphia 76ers will have some interesting summers this year given the players that will become free agents. It could potentially derail both teams or make them better.

Mind you, these very same potential free agents (Andrew Bynum, Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings) could also end up signing with other teams in the Eastern Conference that are fringe playoff contenders and consequently block Detroit’s path to ascension.

The Hornets may not look like much now, but in a very near future, they could become a team Pistons fans envy.

Read about the Hornets

Hornets 247.

• Mar 1, 201310:26 pm
    by Domnick

what is stuckey doing? wtf!

• Mar 1, 201310:31 pm
      by gmehl

Hey leave Stuckey alone. He is delivering us a top 5 pick jacking up that 3. He is the ultimate team player in my book (sarcasm).

• Mar 1, 201310:28 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

that last possession Stuckey should have guarded Vasquez….put Jose on Aminu

• Mar 1, 201310:32 pm
      by gmehl

Yeah but that would entail good coaching

• Mar 1, 201310:29 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

sad thing it looked drawn up that way

• Mar 1, 201310:32 pm
    by Matt

Interesting conversation – silly conclusion.  I’m more than happy with a core of Drummond, Monroe, Knight and Singler.  N.O. has one big man who’s a PF, and we’ve got an elite C and top notch PF.  I come to the exact opposite conclusion you do.  Pistons have the better future.

• Mar 1, 201310:35 pm
    by gmehl

I hate this time of the season as i’m finding the last 3-4 years myself looking at the standings and hoping we lose.

• Mar 1, 201310:36 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Knight locked down Gordon in the 2nd half…. Jose Defense is WAY WE NEED DRUMMOND!

• Mar 1, 201310:37 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

BTW: Knight another strong game 16+ attempts… was robbed for not going to the line with how he was attcking the basket… Just saying.. The Small Sample is growing

• Mar 1, 201310:41 pm
    by Javell

bk 7 never get calls

• Mar 1, 201310:41 pm
    by Vince

Those last three minutes showed Frank’s shitty coaching strategy.

Game tied, you need scoring and defense, Maxiell can defend-ish and Stuckey can score-ish, fair enough, I’m not happy with the lineup on the court but heck, there isn’t any other option really.

Now, you’ve got 12 seconds left, you’re down three,  so you need a 3 to keep the game alive right? So you’d put your best three point shooters on the floor and draw up a good play, right? JOKE IS ON YOU. For all those times Frank has gone small, this should’ve been it, 5 3 point shooters on the floor – Villanueva, Jerebko, Singler, Knight, Calderon – 5 options. Best case scenario for a 12 second play? Easy.

Have Villanueva inbounds the  ball from the left side of the court, Jerebko, Knight and Singler at the top of the key with Calderon in the right corner. Inbound to Knight at halfcourt, have Jerebko set a screen for CV down the left side of the court and have him curl around heading towards Calderon. The latter moves up towards Knight who is dribbling towards the three point line. With CV now in the right corner and Calderon at the right elbow have JJ cut hard to the basket and Singler slides into the left elbow. Knight then has the choice to either pass it off to Calderon, or Singler straight up for 3, or he can shoot it over Gordon. If he passes it to Calderon then Calderon can swing it to CV for the corner 3, or alternatively Knight can throw an alley-oop pass to JJ and hope he dunks it and get fouled.

Anyhow that play makes sense in my head. Having Moose, Max, Stuckey, Knight and Calderon on the floor doesn’t make sense to me, especially when you don’t seem to have an actual play set up and Stuckey takes a 28 foot 3 heavily contested by a hornets player. Poor coaching lost us that game.

• Mar 1, 201310:45 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

if frank comes back we are throwing next season away…

pay mike brown or Avery…

• Mar 1, 201310:51 pm
        by Vince

Screw that, hire me, I’m cheaper and pretty sure I can out-coach Frank.

But seriously, I’d go after McMillan, or Avery I guess, I don’t think Brown would fit in Detroit.

• Mar 1, 201310:56 pm
          by Domnick

mcmillan is a better choice…. he can also build teams without a superstar.. so i like him

• Mar 1, 201310:59 pm
            by Vince

That and the Portland team he coached resembles our current roster.

• Mar 2, 20138:14 am
          by I HATE FRANK

lol@vince other than you putting Knight in the doghouse, you probably could out coach Frank

I like Brown because he coached Gasol and Bynum… and that Big man Princeton offense would be good for a team like this….

• Mar 1, 201310:49 pm
      by Vince

Also before any of you Knight fanatics get on my case about “16+ FGA!!!!!! Kniight iz the best player in the whole entire world”

He had another game against a terrible team, albeit an up and coming terrible team – a terrible team none-the-less. Now, I was happy to see him play so well today against Gordon because I’ve always considered Knight to be Gordon-esque – a fringe all star who can shoot (although poorly), I think thats his ceiling, which really isn’t that bad.

I’ll just reiterate my previous point from a few days back that Knight needs to do these kinds of performances regularly and consistently against good team to prove he’s on the level you guys say he’s on.

• Mar 1, 201311:12 pm
        by T Casey

I don’t think anybody has said Knight is on any level above what he has been all year, a struggling 2nd year player who’s still one of the more impactful players on his team. We hope he reaches the level where these kind of games are routine, but, like everyone knows and like you said, he has to make these kind of performances the norm for that to happen. In any event, let’s hope he contiues to play like he has lately and builds on what he’s doing now.

• Mar 2, 20138:18 am
        by I HATE FRANK

terrible argument, to say… look at the teams that he doing it against…because if he played poorly you say “see..he cant even play good against bad teams”….

its a damn if you do and damn if you dont situation with some of you guys

• Mar 1, 201311:07 pm
    by Mrshourite

Right on Vince!

• Mar 1, 201311:48 pm
    by Mrshourite

I think BK7′s game is starting to flourish for 2 reasons, he doesn’t have the responsibility of having to run the offense and set up others so he is able to create for himself and allow the game to come to him. 2nd reason is having a veteran PG like Calderon who has the ability to make the game easier for his teammates. With that being said, good article with valid cases for both teams but honestly I wouldn’t want my rebuilding team’s future hinging on Eric Gordon’s knees. Now if he was healthy then it would be more of a head scratcher, but I like our bigs.

• Apr 9, 201311:53 pm
    by Woossybom

Hello! I just would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the fantastic information you’ve here on this post. I might be coming back to your weblog for a lot more soon.

[url=http://coolchristianlouboutina.2kool4u.net]christian louboutin sale shoes[/url]