Greg Monroe: “I don’t have any problems with being here”

Greg Monroe, through no fault of his own, is in the midst of his third losing season in three years as a Piston. Losing tends to make productive young players like Monroe want to seek opportunities elsewhere, but via USA Today’s Jeff Zillgitt, Monroe hasn’t let those losses disrupt his belief that the Pistons will be a better team very soon:

“Losing is always frustrating, if you care,” said Monroe, who is closer and closer to becoming an All-Star.

But Monroe also sees the big picture. He is the cornerstone of the rebuilding process, and when he becomes a restricted free agent after the 2013-14 season, the Pistons will do what they can to match offers and keep him.

“I don’t have any problems with being here,” Monroe said. “I know the guys here are putting in the right effort. The more time we spend together, the better we’ll get.”

Those are obviously encouraging comments, and they highlight one of the things I’ve admired about Monroe since he’s been here. He has always voiced his displeasure with the team losing, but he also always does it in a constructive, positive way. Monroe is the Pistons’ best player, so if he let the losing affect him negatively publicly, it would trickle down to others on the roster. His ability, as the team’s top player, to always calmly handle those questions that I’m sure he can’t want to answer repeatedly has been a big reason the Pistons have avoided some of the public turmoil and fracturing the last couple years that is typical of teams that are struggling.

Hat tip to reader Gareth Masters

• Mar 6, 201310:40 am
    by I HATE FRANK

I really Like Greg and he’s a player that will continue to get better ….

And I dislike always beating on Frank I really do…but I feel like his stubbornness will hurt Monroe next year… Likely Monroe moves to PF next year so he will be asked to play on the perimeter more on offense and defense …. This should have took plays 40 games ago …. Now the Pistons will be putting Monroe in a slow start situation next year… And HOPEFULLY their will be a coaching change, even then Greg has to adjust again….

• Mar 6, 201310:49 am
    by Ryank

I think Maxiell is holding Monroe down.  They cheat on Maxiell and that results in Monroe always having a double team.  Drummond lurking around the rim will open things up for Monroe 10-15 feet out.  If either player (probably Monroe) can get a jumper that’s automatic from 15 feet and in, it will open up the paint for high percentage shots inside.

Drummond needs to get his free throw percentage up to at least 50%…65-70 would be career changing.

• Mar 6, 201311:30 am
      by Huddy

I definitely agree.  I think this is a big reason why we see so much of Greg getting the ball poked away in the post.

• Mar 7, 201310:18 am
        by T Casey

Maxiel’s poor play may let defenses load up on Monroe more, but most of his turnovers are his own fault for being careless with the ball.

• Mar 6, 201312:06 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

all comes down to coaching….

Maxiell should have never been exposed offensively this way….

The moment we start to rely on Maxiell shooting as a part of our offense I knew we were in trouble…. Drummond on the offensive boards alone make him a better offensive player than Maxiell…

• Mar 6, 201312:10 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

Maxiel has a nice jump shot…reminds me of a young Jordan (DeAndre)

• Mar 6, 201312:16 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

Greg Monroe a game time decision…get ready to watch Max play center tonight folks. FULL TANK MODE!!

• Mar 6, 20131:14 pm
    by Tiko

I can’t wait til Monroe and Drummond are dominating the league. The future is bright just be patient. 2 years from now they’ll be blossoming

• Mar 7, 201310:21 am
      by T Casey

Those should’ve been blossoming at some point this year. And certainly next year. If not, serious concerns abound.