Greg Monroe asked Pistons to scout Andre Drummond before NBA Draft

Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News on Greg Monroe:

He doesn’t get involved in personnel matters but, unsolicited, he went to the front office during the college basketball season and asked the Pistons to take a long hard look at Andre Drummond.

I hope – and believe – the Pistons would have drafted Andre Drummond without Monroe’s input, but good for Monroe not to take that chance.

• Mar 15, 20133:43 pm
    by Big Rick

Exactly! Makes no sense whatsoever in why they haven’t been given sufficient minutes together to try and develop some sort of chemistry.

• Mar 15, 20133:47 pm
    by G

This sh– is like torture to me. Frank saying “dude, I was TOTALLY about to start Drummond before he got injured”, now THIS…

• Mar 15, 20134:56 pm
      by Mark

I hear you. It feels like the Pistons sole goal has become just to troll their fans lol

• Mar 15, 20136:03 pm
    by DG

Anybody could have picked Drummond in the Pistons shoes.  Lets see what Joe does with a high draft pick and a lot of free agent money this time around.  They have to make the playoffs next year IMO.

• Mar 15, 201310:29 pm
      by Reaction

I don’t think they are going to sign any good free agents to a “good contract.” They would probably have to overpay to get them which I really hope they do not do. I think we need both the 2013 n 2014 drafts to get a solid playoff team together. Having Drummond and Monroe together gives us a solid front court. However, our backcourt needs a ton of work. In particular, PG, SG, and SF positions need work.

• Mar 15, 20136:13 pm
    by Chris N

“This, at minimum, strongly hints Monroe believes he’d play well with Drummond. It’s a shame they’ve spent just 248 minutes on the floor together – the 37th-most-used combination on the Pistons, according to NBA.com/stats.”

Dan, I’m pretty sure the horse you’ve been kicking is dead.  I don’t think you need to keep kicking it.

• Mar 15, 20138:21 pm
    by Vic

In similar news Drummond follows James Ennis on twitter. I wouldn’t mind trying Ennis with the last pick if we miss out on Otto

• Mar 15, 201310:26 pm
    by Reaction

I know this is going to sound ridiculous but does any think that Monroe might not resign with the Pistons or if he does he will be unhappy doing so (Restricted free agent 2014)? After these last few games and Monroe’s unhappiness I’m uncertain he is going to want to resign with the Pistons… I think we will need up to the 2014 draft to get a good team that can be playoff bound together.

• Mar 15, 201310:33 pm
      by gmehl

Hope your not relying on that 2014 draft pick of ours which might actually be ours around that time

• Mar 15, 201311:42 pm
      by oats

You pointed out the obvious though, he’s a restricted free agent. What he wants doesn’t matter. The team will have him locked up long enough for the team to reverse it’s fortunes, so hopefully it never actually comes up. Keep in mind this year involves both a lottery pick and a lot of cap space. Assuming Dumars doesn’t repeat the BG/CV debacle we should expect pretty quick turnaround. I don’t see the team contending any time soon, but they should make the playoffs in the next couple of seasons. I admit I have no first hand knowledge of Monroe’s thinking but he seems like the kind of guy you can sell on being a key part of a rebuild. If the team still looks like it needs a rebuild when this upcoming contract is winding down then the team is in trouble, but I think he can be sold on the rebuild to keep him happy when he really doesn’t have any means to get out of town anyways.

• Mar 16, 20131:22 am
    by Tom Y.

I quite clearly recall him being enthusiastic about playing with Drummond early in the season. He mentioned to the press a couple of times after Drummond’s big games (including the one in OKC where they played some mintues together and Dre got 22 points) that he hopes they will play more from now on. And I thought some of Monroe’s frustration was that that wasn’t happening and that he didn’t have the help he was hoping for.

• Mar 17, 20132:52 am
    by Killacam

Its all good guys!  we have no shot at winning it all so bring em along slowly no pressure we ll get a great draft pick again and continue to build.

• Jun 17, 20134:48 am
    by http://Wallinside.com

Wow, this article is pleasant, my sister is analyzing these
    things, thus I am going to tell her.

• Jun 20, 20135:13 am
    by Pilar

I am curious to find out what blog system you happen to be
    using? I’m experiencing some small security problems with my latest website and I’d like
    to find something more safe. Do you have any recommendations?

• Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I’m hoping to offer something back and help others like you aided me.

• Aug 21, 20133:44 am
    by charoulette

What’s up Dear, are you really visiting this web site regularly, if so afterward you will absolutely take nice knowledge.

• Apr 16, 20142:17 pm
    by Anne

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted
    at this site is actually nice.

• May 16, 20147:50 am
    by homepage

I absolutely love your blog and find the majority
    of your post’s to be exactly I’m looking for.

Would you offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on some
    of the subjects you write related to here.

Again, awesome weblog!