Don’t expect an extension for Greg Monroe this summer

Greg Monroe will complete his third season in the league this season, making him eligible for a contract extension in the offseason. But Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News talked to Monroe’s agent, David Falk, in Washington, and Falk says he won’t begin discussing a possible extension until 2014:

As for Monroe’s future, contract talks with the Pistons could begin after his third year, which would be this summer, but Falk said the sides will put things off until July 2014, when Monroe will become a restricted free agent.

“Greg isn’t gonna go backwards between his third and fourth year,” Falk said. “I don’t think I’ve ever done an extension after a third year. In the 90′s you maxed out a guy after his second, but the (CBA) rules are different now.”

“When I evaluate things, with a player of Greg’s stature: Take the money out of the equation. I can get it from five different teams. ‘Are there players I want to play with? A coach I want to play for? A city I want to live in?’ My job is to make the money as insignificant as possible (relatively).”

That’s not really surprising, and it actually makes some sense for both sides. Monroe hitting restricted free agency should give him a better sense of his market value, and, if he signs an offer sheet (max offer or otherwise), the Pistons can and will just match it.

Goodwill’s story is interesting beyond just the Monroe stuff, though. Falk gets into details about what he looks for in situations for his clients and even talks about some other high profile free agents he’s represented who considered the Pistons, including Juwan Howard and Dikembe Mutombo when they were in their primes.

• Mar 1, 20131:26 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

I wouldn’t mind signing Moose to a long term contract but not for a max contract, especially since I’m still not sure he and Drummond can play together on the floor cause Monroe has blocks for feet and can’t keep up with today’s stretch 4. I like Greg but I think if it did came down to him or Drummond the obvious choice is Dre. If Monroe does find a way to get more attic and quick over the summer then maybe a Max contract wouldn’t be so bad. Until then the only future max player I see on this team is Drummond.

• Mar 1, 20131:31 pm

If Hibbert got a max contract, so will Monroe.

And if Drummond develops into the star it looks like he will develop into, he can play with anyone. You could line up next to him at PF and look competent. The last thing this team should worry about is whether Monroe and Drummond would fit with each other. Of course they will.

• Mar 1, 20134:07 pm
        by G

What would Monroe’s potential max deal look like? 4 years, $48 million? Or less than that?

• Mar 1, 20134:19 pm
          by CNA5

Hibbert received 4 years ~$58M.

• Mar 1, 20134:45 pm
            by G

Meh… I think a borderline All Star is probably worth about that. Something to think about this off season, we definitely want to leave some cap space.

• Mar 1, 20131:48 pm
    by deusXango

I agree with Patrick Hayes 100%…of course Monroe and Drummond can play together. I’ve heard that ridiculous question asked all year but, have yet to see any valid reason to doubt them, mainly because their knuckleheaded coach wouldn’t play them for extended periods together, and allow Kravtsov to get his feet wet playing backup center.

I believe the topic was about not signing Monroe to an extension this summer, and the reasoning was given by his agent as to why…a lot can happen in a year to make Monroe worthy of a max contract. Who’s paying anyway?

• Mar 1, 20136:05 pm
      by Ryank

My understanding is it’s not about Dre and Monroe being able to player together, it’s about Monroe being able to defend the power forward position.  He’s struggling to move out on the perimeter against stretch 4s.

I’m not sure they are compatible for this reason alone…if Monroe can’t defend the 4, then the team will need to part ways with either him or Drummond go.  Playing Drummond at 4 puts too much limitation on his ability to defend the rim.

• Mar 1, 20136:28 pm
      by T Casey

Until they get a chance to actually play together for an extended period of time none of those questioned can be answered. Unfortunately we haven’t seen much of that pairing all year to get a good feel for what they can do together. Also, Monroe struggles to guard just about every kind of qualitiy player he goes up against so his inability to guard stretch 4′s probably wouldn’t be much of a hit as he struggles to guard most quality centers around the league as well.

• Mar 1, 20132:14 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

@Patrick idk…Drummond can guard both the 4 and 5 but on the offensive side, neither Drummond or Monroe can shoot the ball so they would clog the lane.  I want it to work but for that to happen Monroe would need a better jump shot. Ibaka improved his outside game in OKC to give them sort of a stretch 4. The Knicks have Melo at the 4, the Heat sometimes has LeBron at the 4. Asking Drummond to guard all them would mean he can’t protect the paint and bock shots which Monroe can’t block and his defense down low is suspect so…

• Mar 1, 20132:25 pm
      by XstreamINsanity

I think you misunderstood Patrick’s comment.  He wasn’t saying lineup Andre at the 4, he was saying YOU could line up next to Andre at the PF spot, Andre playing the Center, and it’d still be competent.  I wouldn’t doubt Andre could guard PFs, but I don’t think anyone wants him anywhere but the Center position.

• Mar 1, 20132:48 pm
        by Blocks by Dre

Yeah I realize I read his comment wrong. Still playing PF Monroe is a defensive liability right now. Doesn’t mean he’ll always be but for now he is what he is. Great at scoring in the paint and no where else. Problem is that Drummond will get his in the paint too and that’s clogging the paint. If we do pair them 2 up we definitely have to have a SF that could hit 3′s to stretch the floor which would mean Josh Smith shouldn’t be an option if we try signing him to play the 3

• Mar 1, 20134:17 pm
          by XstreamINsanity

This year, that might be the case, but last year he was pretty decent from outside:  http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=202328&Season=2011-12&display-mode=performance&viewShots=true

I think the biggest reason for it is because we haven’t really asked Monroe to shoot much from outside the paint.  He’s shown the ability to hit from out there, and practice makes perfect (no, this does not mean Dikembe will ever be an efficient 3 point shooter).  Also, I agree, we need perimeter players who can hit the 3, that’s why I love the acquisition of Calderon.  Singler and Knight can also hit the three.  Just think, Duncan and Robinson worked, I’m sure Monroe and Drummond can work.  Just have to have the right personnel around them.

• Mar 1, 20132:29 pm
      by Crispus

But if the choice is Monroe chasing Carmelo around or Drummond chasing Carmelo around, you obviously have to choose Drummond – putting him at the “4″ on defense.

• Mar 1, 20134:10 pm
        by G

‘Melo’s really a 3 though, and plays the 3 when Amar’e is in the game.

• Mar 1, 20134:33 pm
        by mike

well if carmelo is playing the 4 i can see that it would be hard for monroe or drummond to cover him but you have to remember that he would then have to cover one of them on defense. Monroe wouldn’t have a problem scoring on melo and if drummond can develop one decent post shot with is length and jumping ability melo probably woulndt be able to effect his shot.

• Mar 1, 20132:17 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

He gets beat up in the paint by bigger centers and is too slow to guard a stretch 4. In today’s NBA there are more stretch 4′s that I ever now. 10 years or so ago this would have worked but if we want to compete we have to adjust

• Mar 1, 20132:20 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

That was supposed to read ‘than ever now’ towards the end of that

• Mar 1, 20132:27 pm
    by Crispus

I agree with Blocks by Dre, currently there are too many holes in Monroe’s game for him to be worth a max deal. Assuming Drummond can’t create his own shot and Monroe can’t defend strong guys in the paint or quick guys on the perimeter, we’d need a pretty good third big to address matchup problems (if Frank ever decides to make in-game adjustments). Hopefully Monroe gets after it this offseason and next season and improves his defensive awareness and mid-range jump shot and the problem just goes away.

• Mar 1, 20132:35 pm

We can argue about these perceived holes all you want. What you or I or anyone thinks of his value is irrelevant. All that matters is what the market will pay him.

Monroe will hit restricted free agency as a 24-year-old big man who shoots 50 percent, averages damn near a double-double and is still improving. The market for those players is max deal. Hibbert last season is the latest example (and, coincidentally, Monroe and Hibbert have the same agent). Monroe is arguably better than Hibbert right now and he’s also younger. There is no doubt that if teams were willing to max Hibbert (and Portland and Indiana both were), they’ll be willing to max Monroe. Lamarcus Aldridge is also a very comparable player to Monroe who has a max (or extremely close to it) salary. Monroe certainly  has things to improve on, particularly defensively. Monroe will get a max offer, and the Pistons would be foolish not to match it.

• Mar 1, 20134:27 pm
        by CNA5

Even if he doesn’t extend, some team is going to offer him a deal starting in excess of $12M per.

Fans sometimes don’t understand that bigs carry a higher price tag, regardless of how many holes are in their game.  If you have size and play decently well at 6’10+ and 250+ and under the age of 30, you’re guaranteed $9M per.

• Mar 1, 20134:54 pm
        by mike

i know that it is most likely that someone will offer monroe a max contract but i don’t think it is set in stone. I know hibbert got a max deal and last year he put up similar numbers, but you are not including that hibbert has a lot more potential then monroe and is a lot better on the defensive end. If monroe doesn’t show any improvement on his mid rage game or his defense teams might be cautious of offering a max deal. Also he needs to not be so turnover prone, but  i don’t blame him for all of that, he shouldn’t be getting the ball 18 feet from the basket and run the offense.

Also on a side not i would like to have the pistons offer a big if not max contract to paul george next season. I see it as a win win situation, Either 1 the pacer don’t offer it and we get paul george or 2 they match it and pacers have to max players on there team which could keep them from getting better because they would have 2 max players on there team then.

• Mar 1, 20136:43 pm
          by oats

How in the world does Hibbert have more potential? He can’t shoot and isn’t exactly a good athlete either. Hibbert is only shooting 42% from the field right now. Monroe meanwhile played out of the high post in college, which suggests he can learn to do it in the pros. Even if he doesn’t, he still shoots so much better at the rim than Hibbert that Monroe will probably always be the better scorer. They are both fringe All Stars that could become the 2nd or 3rd best player on a contender but almost certainly won’t ever be super stars. Hibbert does it with defense while Monroe is an efficient scorer and a good passer for his size, but they have the same ceiling.

• Mar 1, 20134:59 pm
        by Revken

Well said, Patrick.  Unless Monroe falls off the map next season, it’s a given he’ll get a max deal, and he’ll probably be more worthy of it than Hibbert.  I also think the stretch 4 thing is overdone – most NBA PFs are not Dirk Nowitzki clones. Drummond isn’t a back to the basket center yet, either – he does most of his scoring on pick and roll alley-oops and putbacks.  There’s no reason why that can’t work with Monroe’s game.

• Mar 1, 20135:16 pm
        by Crispus

Lamarcus Aldridge is sooo much better than Monroe. He so much more smooth and effective. He has a dazzling array of offensive moves, shoots the jumper with confidence and is not so stonefooted and tunnel-visioned on D. Monroe may have the same talent, but sure as hell hasn’t grown into it the way LMA has.

Would it really be that foolish for the Pistons to let Monroe walk if say, he didn’t really improve much at all in the next year? He could become one of those albatross contracts that results from feelings of loss aversion. I know Detroit is not the most desirable destination (financial emergency declared today) but there has to be a point where we say maybe we can do better, especially if other young players on the team are coming along well.

• Mar 1, 20136:52 pm
          by oats

He is now, but check this out. Aldridge played 5 more minutes, so look at the per 36 numbers. Aldridge actually had a jump shot, so there is that, but Monroe getting an extra 3.2 rebounds per 36 minutes is huge. Oh, and Aldridge was a year older in that third season.

• Mar 1, 20133:12 pm
    by Jodi Jezz

I wouldn’t mind signing Moose to max deal, I would rather sign him a 5yr deal right under the max though…

• Mar 1, 20136:57 pm
      by oats

I want to save that 5 year deal for Drummond, and I expect we’ll have to max it.

• Mar 1, 20134:13 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

@G Amare is on a minute limit and can’t play over 30 minutes so Anthony spends a majority of time playing the 4

• Mar 1, 20134:48 pm
      by G

Like Mike said, maybe Monroe can’t guard Melo (who can?), but Melo can’t guard Monroe either. I think Monroe would do well against most of those stretch 4′s, it’s the bigger bodies he has problems with – Chandler, Howard, etc.

• Mar 2, 201311:30 pm
        by Pimp Zombie

Shiiiiitt, Melo is as good a 4 than he is a 3. I even prefer him there. He turns into no less than Dirk Nowitski when u put him at the 4, matchup problem-wise.

• Mar 1, 20134:36 pm
    by Corey

Monroe will almost surely get A max offer, and Pistons should match it.  It’s possible that they could trade him, but letting him just leave would be crazy.

As for him defending 3′s masquerading as 4′s: they’d have to guard him, too. Lebron could, but Melo and Durant could not guard him in the post. Andre has to become enough of an offensive threat that the other team can’t put their center on Monroe and a small player on Andre. It’s not just Monroe that has to improve.

• Mar 1, 201310:11 pm
      by Worm

This pretty much says it all. You can’t let a 24 year-old borderline all-star leave your team for nothing. If the Pistons decide that it would be in their best interests to find another 4 to play next to Drummond, the only logical move would be a sign-and-trade. And people worrying about stretch 4′s don’t know what they are talking about for the most part.

• Mar 3, 201312:00 pm
      by D_S_V

Also, what has not been mentioned (as far as I can tell), Monroe could become someone the Pistons “hide” on defense when there’s matchup problems – a la Carmelo and LeBron. I must qualify my comment, I’m not fully booked on the Monroe-Drummond pairing as some are, and I definitely think putting your chips in the Drummond basket is the right way to go. So if I had to choose, I’ll take Drummond with a savvy Monroe trade every day. I don’t think we have enough of a sample size to judge the fit of the two just yet, but as far as the defensive liability of Monroe – I think they can put him on the weakest offensive player of the opposing team, or at least easiest to defend, if they have Drummond inside to protect the paint. Read Zach Lowe on Grantland and he’ll tell you all about hiding the talented offensive but not so apt defensive players in strategic ways.

• Mar 2, 201312:37 am
    by Big Rick

But why? But why haven’t we seen our 2 best players on the court together for long stretches of time? Why not let them develop together? Why keep playing Monroe at the 5 if he is gonna play the 4 with Drummond? I don’t agree with Patrick’s analysis on Greg 100%, but I do agree that he will get paid nicely. Whether or not he deserves it, is yet to be seen and is a matter of opinion. The new CBA may play a factor. We’ll see. Sounds like a little bit of posturing from his agent though.

Remember we have a new owner that’s all about “value”. LOL Someone will pay him. There has got to be a reason as to why we haven’t seen our prized rookie and our “best player” on the court together for most of the season. Most chalk it up to Lawrence Frank’s buffoonery, but I have a gut feeling that there is more than meets the eye with keeping Greg at center playing along side Max. I think that it may have a lot to do with Greg’s defensive limitations. He struggles offensively going against bigger more athletic centers and he struggles defensively trying to guard smaller quicker bigs that can space the floor or anyone for that matter. Basically he is one dimensional but it is kind of disguised because of his rebounding prowess. If we were really playing for our future what’s to keep them from playing Greg at the 4 next to Slava for stretches?Why have all these questions heading into next season. its easy for us to speculate and the organization to tell us that Drummond probably would be starting if he was healthy, but why wait til now to suggest that since you dont have to implement it due to him being hurt? Why? Why drag out the rebuilding process by not seeing what you have NOW? WHY?

• Mar 2, 20133:58 am
    by Icebergcool

• Mar 2, 20135:06 am
    by DG

The question isn’t whether or not Monroe will get a max contract from Detroit or not.  The question is whether he will sign it.  If Detroit doesn’t start winning more games he may decide to move on.  It will be his decision, not Joe’s.

• Mar 2, 20131:13 pm

Not really. He will be an RFA. So Detroit can match a deal he signs with anyone.

• Mar 2, 201311:25 pm
    by Pimp Zombie

Im often a monority when I say this, but I look at Monroe and feel like he’s a slightly better 15 footer away from peaking. I don’t see a career 20-10 guy but instead a guy that can excell as a “Horace Grant” type on a contender….and thats not a knock….a best big man/3rd best player type. Put Monroe at PF and teams will eat us alive with the pick and roll, drummond or no drummond, esp if calderon is the starter next year.

Alas, the Pistons have no choice but to max him. I saw that Hibbert deal a year ago and shook my head. I’d sign/trade him while his stock is high for a guaranteed 20 pt shot creating wing player and a rotation big right now (a Carl Landry type).

Drummond is the only exceptional player on this team at the moment. If Monroe was as good as his nubers sometimes indicate the team would NOT be out of the playoffs….I call it the “Shareef Abu-Rahim illusion”

• Mar 3, 201312:13 pm
      by D_S_V

I won’t fully, but I’ll partially co-sign your statement. Monroe is quite obviously the currently most productive player we have – but in a way that’s akin to the “the smartest student in a ___ ed class”. I can’t see how a tried and true Pistons fan wouldn’t overvalue Monroe considering the last 5 years of the team. When you’re working from a position the Pistons are in – you can’t just lure in high profile FA’s with your cap space despite being a currently awfully constructed team – you have to make shrewd decisions. I feel like Monroe could be one of those shrewd decisions – a guy who has obvious value and will certainly make it in the NBA, but also one who could drown you financially if you overcommit to him in the wrong circumstance. Is the current state of the Pistons the wrong circumstance? Hard to tell having not seen him and the for sure best up side Piston play together too much… I’d be hesitant, and look very closely at the two together over the next season. If they can surround them with “3 and D” wings and a smart PG, maybe there’s potential. But wasting a second max contract on Monroe (taking for granted that Drummond will develop along his current arch and be fully worth the 5 year max) and disallowing you to add a big time playmaking guard/wing and finding that they do not click as most hope? Welcome to the sub-contender version of mediocrity. I will say that as long as Monroe doesn’t significantly regress, he’d still be tradeable in a max-sorta deal, but it seems that you usually don’t get your full value when trading the max contract for pieces – another reason I’d be wary of just handing over the contract.