Brian Hill turns down offer to coach Venezuelan national team

Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

Pistons assistant Brian Hill turned down an offer to coach the Venezuelan national team. When asked why, he said: "I just did."

I have no idea what made Venezuela offer Hill that position, but it’s nice that the Pistons have such a highly regarded assistant coach. You know, in case they ever need an interim or anything.

• Mar 4, 20132:52 pm
    by Mel

Whats funny is this guy has been the assistant coach for two coaches and he has a better winning percentage than  Q or Frank. Shit make him the coach. He got Shaq to the finals against Jordan and the Bulls.

• Mar 4, 20133:01 pm
    by MIKEYDE248

Maybe would should submit his resume to Joe D?

• Mar 4, 20134:32 pm
      by G

Like the man said before, a lateral move at best.

• Mar 4, 20134:23 pm
    by mongoslade86

There was rumor that he cause the rift between Shaq and Penny hopefully he learn his lesson.

• Mar 4, 20134:42 pm

Yeah, Shaq and Penny both hated him allegedly and Penny got him fired according to the rumor mill at the time. I think he’s a fine assistant. I wouldn’t be excited about him as a head coach.

• Mar 4, 20134:33 pm
    by Anthony

If you look on one of the comments I posted on another article then you will know that I truly idolize Hill. I was pulling for him or Woodson to be coach (no I’m not saying Woodson because of the way Frank is coaching but because I love Woodsons coaching style more.)

Look at Frank Vogel, Woodson and the interim Coach that L.A. had after Mike Brown was fired. They all stepped in and their team started to look like a better team than before…

• Mar 4, 20134:52 pm
    by Jordy Sayers

He is a great coach. Come check it out at a game. Ill get you discounted tickets! Call me 248-375-4009. Season ticket for the 13-14 season are out and we will be a winning team next year.

• Mar 4, 20138:48 pm
    by Mark

How has Brian Hill remained an assistant here for so long? Its almost as puzzling as how Frank has remained coaching for the last 7 yrs, despite not posting any winning seasons, while posting some of the worst starts in NBA history (0-16, 4-20, and 0-8).

• Mar 4, 20138:55 pm
      by Mark

Thats a combined 4-44 to start his last 3 seasons in the league. Would Gores and Joe really be that naive to allow him to start next year as well, and risk the same kind of results, essentially ending another season before it even begins?

I know Joe may care more about his own resume and ego, than whats best for the team, but certainly Gores isn’t going to allow that is he?

I doubt Gores cares about Joe tarnishing his resume with another fired coach. All he probably cares about is winning and filling seats. And I’m sure he’s figured out by now that you need a proven veteran coach to do that, if you have a young unproven team like we have.

Unproven coach + inexperienced players =/= success. You either need proven veteran players or a proven veteran coach, or both.

• Mar 5, 20131:19 am
    by piston moribund

Bill Laimbeer

• Mar 5, 20138:29 am
      by Clint in Flint

The man knows how to win.

• Mar 5, 201311:34 am
      by MIKEYDE248

I’d love to see Bill coaching the team, but I think the only  way that would happen is if Joe was no longer the GM.  I think he has too much respect for some of the former player and as much as he thinks they may be coaches, he doesn’t want to risk it if they don’t work out.

• Mar 5, 20136:01 pm
      by T Casey

I’m done with the excuses or Joe. He’s just made poor decisions with coaches. There’s always a risk a guy can fail. You don’t turn away a better prospect because you’re afraid of the impact it will have on his reputation if he failed. That part of a hiring job would be the applicant’s responsibility, not Dumars’. Joe has just had a habit of picking poor coaches lately.

• Mar 5, 20131:20 am
    by piston moribund

Ticket sales

• Mar 5, 20131:20 am
    by piston moribund

Dont have to pay him anything.  Soda and a bag of chips

• Mar 5, 20131:21 am
    by piston moribund

If the team still losses, dont cost you anything.  Its like having Frank, only hes not there, everyone happy.

• Mar 5, 20133:33 am
    by Saul

@piston moribund AGREED Hire Bill Laimbeer. He’d have respect from the players and he wouldn’t tolerate slacking off either.

• Mar 5, 20136:47 am
    by ryan

The most interesting candidate out there is Nate McMillan but that’s only if he’s willing to play a more uptempo style. He was a very good coach with the Trailblazers but he had them playing slowly and that wouldn’t make much sense here.

If he’s open to playing a bit faster then I think he would be a great hire and a guy who would be here for a good long run. I also think he could take us on some good long playoff runs, even a title if we assembled the right talent.

One of the things that impressed me most during his time in Portland was how he adjusted to all the injuries with Greg Oden and Brandon Roy. He kept those teams competitive when the foundation they were hoping to build on crumbled.

• Mar 5, 20137:25 am
    by robertbayer

Then may I officially offer Brian Hill coaching duties for the rest of the season?

• Mar 12, 20132:51 am
    by Rock Climbing Gear

I got this web page from my pal who to told me to visit. I’m glad I did.