Brandon Knight on DeAndre Jordan’s dunk: ‘I can laugh at it’

Brandon Knight, via Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

"You’re gonna get dunked on. It won’t be the last time. I’ve dunked on people. It’ll happen plenty more times."

on the reaction: "Just the culture of today. People take stuff and make it a much bigger deal. I can laugh at it, it’s funny to me."

"It’s unfortunate I’m not 6’11. It was a good play, a great play. I’d jump again. With my stature it didn’t happen with a block."

"Instead of me getting mad at it, it’s gonna happen. You laugh when you see other people get caught. It’s not gonna break my confidence"

Me and my friends we laugh. the most athletic big we’ve ever seen. I’m not weak minded, I’m a strong guy. People can say what they want.

People are ready to jump on you just based on who you are. For that to happen in any situation ppl are quick to jump in a negative way

Good for Knight, who began making jokes the night of the incident. I was bit concerned when he slipped out of the locker room Sunday without speaking to the media, but there’s nothing wrong with a player needing a little time to gather himself. It appears Knight has a healthy view of the situation.

• Mar 12, 20139:39 am
    by Derek

He’s a strong minded kid with what appears to be the character of a leader.

• Mar 12, 20139:57 am
    by Jay

Man I love this kid. Him and Greg really are becoming the leaders lately. Speaking of leaders, damn do I miss Lawrence Frank. Is it possible that he made the worst team in the league as a mediocre team? After seeing these last few games with Brian Hill as coach, who I don’t want to put all the blame on, I definitely miss Frank.

• Mar 12, 201310:12 am
    by Ryank

He tried to defend the play and he gets this kind of attention for not successfully stopping the basket.  When’s the last time you saw a 6-2 guard up trying to defend the rim like that?  Knight should be commended for that happening to him, not humiliated or embarrassed.

He’s competing where other guards just are content to just give up the basket.  If the whole team put that much effort into defending baskets, the Pistons would have a winning record.

• Mar 12, 201312:05 pm
      by T Casey

Eh, there’s a difference between being tough and being dumb. A 6’3″ guard trying to contest an alley oop or any kind of dunk head on from a center is a pretty dumb move. He gets props for his effort, but next time he should just move out the way. And if he wants to keep contesting those kinds of attempts, he can expect to keep getting embarrassed.

• Mar 12, 201312:32 pm
        by Ryank

The difference between winners and losers is having an opinion like your’s…a loser has your opinion.

• Mar 12, 20136:46 pm
          by T Casey

@Ryank
          Because winning pg’s get posterized trying to block alley oops head on, right? I’ll wait for you to name one that got posterized like that and thought it was a good idea afterwards…

• Mar 14, 20136:42 pm
            by T Casey

That’s what I thought. You have no clue what you’re talking about.

• Mar 12, 20132:13 pm
        by Derek

I think what we saw was a guy trying to lead by example and show his bigs how to be tough and his team what it takes to be a winner.  The next time he shouldn’t have to make that choice.  His bigs should lay a body on their man and be prepared to stop guys from disrespecting them with a improvised dunk contest.  This Clippers team is not able to put on the same ariel display against OKC and the other upper elites.

We have to do better and it looks like the road to improvement is marked by personnel change.  We need the right people.

• Mar 12, 20132:31 pm
        by Scott Free

The best defensive squads contest EVERY shot.

• Mar 12, 20136:53 pm
          by T Casey

I’m not saying you don’t contest every shot you can, but you have to know how and be smart about it. If you’re a pg in the paint, you’re supposed to swipe if the big brings the ball low before he goes up, you don’t jump up and try and block a center head on, especially one known for his dunking. That’s just not a smart move.

• Mar 12, 201311:42 pm
            by Jon

his job was to foul the sub 50% free throw shooter. he did that, he just didn’t expect to be thrown aside like he was hit by a freight train. he did exactly what the scouting report said

• Mar 13, 20131:21 pm
            by T Casey

Really? I’m as big a B Knight fan as anybody, but lets be real. Did he got the foul? Yeah. But he definitely wasn’t going for the foul. He was going for the block and fouled Deandre as a result of being completely out of place to make a play on the ball resulting in an and 1, the exact opposite of what you want to happen.

If you try what B Knight did 10 times against the likes of a dunking center/pf, you’re likely to get dunked at least 7 or 8 of those times and you’re far less likely to block the ball like Brandon was tyring to do. It’s a gutsy play, and I appreciate the heart, but it’s just not a smart one. There’s no two ways around that.

• Mar 12, 201310:48 am
    by Keith

Maybe if our bigs weren’t so ridiculously terrible in defense, Knight doesn’t get put in that kind of situation. If anyone should be getting mocked, it should be the player whose actual assignment it was to guard the 7 foot Deandre Jordan.

• Mar 12, 201311:10 am
    by ryan

I support Brandon Knight 100% but there is part of me that misses the Bad Boys. Back in the day they might’ve take Deandre Jordan’s legs out from under him and sent him crashing on his head. There’s good and bad in that but I miss the toughness they used to have.

• Mar 12, 201311:20 am
      by Keith

During the Bad Boys era, it wasn’t Isaiah Thomas putting players on their asses. Has any player EVER feared driving the lane against Monroe-Maxiell-Villanueva?

• Mar 12, 20131:53 pm
        by Derek

Actually Isiah was laying hard fouls on cats.  He wasn’t one of the main enforcers, but he was engaged in the physicality of the game.

• Mar 12, 20132:13 pm
          by Keith

Which is exactly what Knight was doing. Though, just like Isaiah, he’s not going to stop a guy with 9 extra inches and 70 extra pounds from finishing the shot.

• Mar 13, 20135:11 am
            by Derek

@Keith

Perhaps, but what Isiah and Brandon both do in that situation is set a precedent.  They both draw a line in the sand putting their respective teams on notice.  The thing I’m proud of is that he separated himself from the pack and demonstrated the intangibles of a leader.  He did with stepping up on the court and stepping up to face the backlash.

• Mar 12, 201311:58 am
      by Ryank

The Bad Boys wouldn’t be allowed to play in today’s NBA. The fouls they used to put on Pippen and others would have earned instant ejections and suspensions for the following game(s). The game is officiated differently now.

We don’t need that brand of basketball to have good basketball. Tough defense doesn’t have to be dirty or borderline dirty. We saw that in the Sheed BW era. They weren’t putting guys on their backs, but it was known that there would be no layups in the the gym.

If Drummond could get that smile off his face and we can put a side kick next to him to form a two headed defensive monster in the paint, the team is .500 without getting any better in other categories.

• Mar 12, 20133:10 pm
    by Some random guy

They are wrong for this http://hw-mobile.worldstarhiphop.com/u/vid/2013/03/03/frgedwy6dtywed6tewgd6ewfdgew6fetw6d5fewd56wetgwe3ewewdweddewdedew_mobile.mp4 RIP Brandon knight

• Mar 12, 20133:13 pm
    by Some random guy

• Mar 12, 20134:08 pm
    by Sloppy Joe

When doesn’t he “slip out of the locker room without talking to the media”?  You’re acting like he doesn’t try to do this after every game.

• Mar 12, 20135:14 pm
    by gmehl

Knight’s mental toughness just went up 3 notches in my book. Good for him.

• May 11, 201311:24 pm
    by Lee Mungaro

This is a great play. dunk of the year

• May 17, 201312:13 am
    by Silvia

Appreciating the dedication you put into your site and in depth information
    you present. It’s good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed material.
    Great read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

• Aug 27, 20133:36 am
    by Czarcieswawole

Just desire to say your article is as surprising.
    The clarity to your submit is simply cool and that i could assume you’re knowledgeable in this subject. Fine together with your permission let me to clutch your RSS feed to stay up to date with approaching post. Thank you one million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

• Mar 21, 20144:41 pm
    by top reggaeton 2014

What’s up, I would like to subscribe for this website to obtain newest updates, therefore where can i do it please
    help.