Better outlook: Pistons or Cavaliers?

ESPN asked five panelists, “Which East team with a losing record has the best long-term outlook?” Four of them chose the Cavaliers, and one picked the Pistons:

Tom Sunnergren, Hoop 76: Detroit Pistons. Among the rarest commodities in sports is a young, dominant NBA big man. In Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond, the Pistons have two of them. Add Jose Calderon and "Exciting Young Lottery Pick X" to the mix, and suddenly you have a team that could make waves as soon as next season.

You might remember Sunnergren as that crazy guy who believed Andre Drummond should have been an All-Star, and as fond as I am of Tom’s writing and his frequently pro-Pistons opinions – he also named Jose Calderon the most overlooked player on a losing team – I once again disagree with him.

I’ll take the Cavaliers, and here’s my breakdown of the key pieces:

• Andre Drummond < Kyrie Irving
  • Greg Monroe > Tristan Thompson
  • Brandon Knight = Dion Waiters*
  • Rodney Stuckey < Anderson Varejao
  • Owing the Bobcats a first rounder < Receiving a first rounder from the Kings, Heat (two) and Grizzlies
  • No LeBron James < Even the most unsubstantial rumor that LeBron James might return

*If I had to pick one player, I’d pick Knight, but they’re close enough to a tossup that I wouldn’t criticize either choice.

An edge in second-most-valuable players doesn’t make up for all of Cleveland’s other advantages.

Which team do you believe has a brighter future?

• Mar 8, 201310:55 am
    by mixmasta

Which team do I believe has a brighter future?

This is a Pistons blog for Pistons fans. I choose the Piston, of course.

• Mar 8, 201311:03 am
    by G

At this point the Pistons could have a better or worse draft pick than the Cavs, so that’s a wash. The Pistons have more cap room this off season, the Cavs have team options on everyone signed past 2014. I feel like the Pistons are better than their record & the Cavs aren’t, but I’m not sure if that’s an advantage for the Pistons.

I don’t know. The Cavs have Irving, who’s better than anyone on the Pistons roster or in the draft, but the Pistons have more young, promising players than the Cavs. I think the Pistons could make the playoffs next season, I don’t think the Cavs could.

• Mar 8, 20134:36 pm

The Cavs are probably better than their record just because they got a bunch of losses when Irving was out. They’ve won 28.6% of their games without him, 36.2% with him.

Also, they are probably hurt by the loss of Varejao.

And the picks are huge.

But the Pistons are definitely the better bet to make the playoffs next year. Because they could go sign someone like Iggy or Millsap (or I’d be fine with signing some scrubs like Brewer, Redick, or Speights to a nice signing bonus with a contract for about $1M/yr).

• Mar 8, 201311:17 am
    by Vic

Irving is good but a great scoring guard <<<< Dominant defensive center

Pistons all the way. Varejao is always injured, and the Cavs suck at drafting unless they get the #1 pick.
    they turned two years of  multiple lottery picks into
    Zeller, Tristan, waiters, Irving

When they could have had
    Irving, Kanter or Valanciunas, Terence Ross or Jeremy Lamb, John Henson or Terrence Jones

As far as I’m concerned they already missed their chance to pass the Pistons up in the rebuild

• Mar 8, 201311:28 am
      by Vic

Pistons have done more with less, and have cap room to fill in the gaps.

• Mar 8, 20134:41 pm

A guy who could be poised to inherit the mantle of best PG in the league (and is already easily top 5) is a much better asset than a center who looks really promising but has only played 20 mpg, primarily against backups.

• Mar 8, 20135:15 pm
        by Huddy

A dominant center is more valuable than a top tier scoring guard we just don’t know how dominant Drummond is because he was under utilized.

• Mar 8, 20135:21 pm

A dominant center was more valuable 30 years ago. In today’s NBA, do you have any evidence to support your claim?

• Mar 8, 20136:02 pm
            by T Casey

Dwight, who only averaged woughly 20 and 12 with 2-3 blocks, I say “only” in terms of dominant centers, had his Orlando squad near or at the top of the east for close to 3 years. We may not have had many truly great centers in the league for a while, but the impact a guy who can give you 20+ points and dominate on the glass and defensive end is almost incomparable. Tim Duncan’s dominance as a c/pf over the past decade or so is a big testament to that.

• Mar 9, 201312:53 am

And what about great PGs? How have Paul’s, Rose’s, and Nash’s teams done when they were healthy?

A great player will always be incredibly valuable. But I see no evidence that a big is more valuable than a guard.

• Mar 8, 201311:31 am
    by Matt

Wow! Cleveland has amassed in trades 3 first rounders? That’s pretty damn savvy. And yeah, love Drummond, but think dominant bigs are of lesser value than they used to be compared to dynamic/efficient scorers like Irving.

• Mar 8, 20134:43 pm

Also, Irving is a score first guy. But he is much more than a scorer. 6 apg is really not shabby for a guy in his second season.

• Mar 8, 201311:40 am
    by G

@Dan Feldman – You said you disagree with Sunnergren on “most overlooked player on a bad team”… Who do you think it is? I don’t think Irving qualifies, since he made the All Star game and put on a show. He was 4th in voting for the guard position, so even while he wasn’t voted in, the fans recognized him.

• Mar 8, 20131:13 pm
      by GET WELL SUSAN

irving is a baller…but 4th in voting has alot to do with Hype….He has Uncle Drew commercials…

Drummond has a Star Wars bettle with our mascot on Youtube….

Huge difference

• Mar 8, 20131:15 pm
        by G

My point was Kyrie Irving isn’t exactly getting overlooked. So…

• Mar 8, 20131:21 pm
          by GET WELL SUSAN

see we agree again….

• Mar 8, 20131:56 pm

Twice in 2 days… We gotta put a stop to this

• Mar 8, 201311:55 am
    by Patrick The Troll

“and as fond as I am of Tom’s writing and his frequently pro-Pistons opinions…  I once again disagree with him”
    big surprise, dan disagrees with somebody that has a positive view of the pistons.  Most of the time when there is a tough call that could go either way dan goes against the pistons.  I did say most, so please don’t spend 12 hours searching for a the one or two posts where is sides with the pistons on a tough call.

• Mar 8, 201312:28 pm

This is the only example anyone needs to research to respond to your post:

• Mar 8, 20136:29 pm
        by gmehl

That is your favourite GIF of all time isn’t it Dan :-)

• Mar 8, 20136:39 pm
          by gmehl

*correction…Patriick

• Mar 8, 201312:00 pm
    by Jacob

I fell that both teams are about the same right now. I would say wait until the summer, after the draft and free agency. Then we will have a really good idea of who will have the brighter future. Andre Drummond = Kyrie Irving. I’m not sold on first round picks. The NBA draft is so hard to pick the right player. Someone who is good and can fit on your team. It looks like the Pistons best option would be to draft Burke. Thats if we stay around the 8th or 9th pick.

• Mar 8, 201312:11 pm
      by Jacob

Also something that I haven’t heard anyone talking about. If Nerlens Noel happens to somehow fall to us, Do we take him? If we end up tanking and picking like 5th or 6th he could fall to there.

• Mar 8, 20132:05 pm
        by G

At some point it becomes ridiculous to pass on a guy, even at a position of strength. Probably what you look to do is draft Noel & look for a trade partner further down in the draft. Say we draft Noel, and then Minnesota or Toronto (picking for OKC) drafting a couple spots later gets Burke. We deal Noel for Burke & a 1st rounder TBD.

• Mar 8, 20134:58 pm

I’m not sold on Burke just yet because he doesn’t really have an NBA body and he would have to turn into a fantastic player. A decent PG just doesn’t fill a need for Detroit.

There are a number of other guys I think I’d rather trade down for.

• Mar 8, 20135:16 pm
            by G

What if the Pistons don’t re-sign Calderon? Or what if Calderon turns 34 someday? What then? PG is a need, believe me.

• Mar 8, 20135:25 pm

There is still Knight and even Bynum. Yes, PG is a need. But only if the guy looks likely to be a star. A decent PG would not be worth adding at this point. There are so many good PGs floating around the league that replacing Calderon would be easy at almost any time.

That’s why I’d rather go for MCW or Smart than Burke. Definitely lower floors. But higher ceilings. And competent play at PG is too easy to come by to be wasting top 20 picks on. Star-level play is another story…

• Mar 11, 20138:41 am
            by G

MCW & Smart are combo guards. I’m sick to death of combo guards. We have Knight & Stuckey already, if we keep stockpiling combo guards, what is Orlando going to do?

Again, I disagree about competent PG’s being easy to find. There are MAYBE 20 in the league, and when a team gets a good one, they do their best to lock him up.

• Mar 9, 20132:34 pm
          by G

MCW & Smart are combo guards. I’m sick of combo guards. We’ve had almost exclusively combo guards ever since we dealt Billups. I disagree about competent PG’s being easy to find, I estimate there are less than 20 in the NBA and the teams that have them do their best to hold onto them.

• Mar 8, 201312:03 pm
    by jerrific

I agree with Dan’s assessment, for now. Irving has had a stronger season then Drummond certainly,  but I think Drummond’s ceiling is higher. It’s still no sure thing he makes it, but I think his chances are a lot higher now than I did when this season started.

• Mar 8, 201312:22 pm
      by G

I’d say Drummond’s ceiling is equally high as Irving’s, or close to it. Irving’s ceiling is multiple scoring titles, Drummond’s ceiling is best center in the NBA. I’d say Irving is a lot closer to reaching his ceiling than Drummond is, but it’s REALLY early for both.

• Mar 8, 201312:27 pm
        by Mark

Irvings is multiple scoring titles. Drummonds is multiple titles. End of debate

• Mar 8, 201312:39 pm
          by vic

Thanks

• Mar 8, 201312:40 pm
          by G

What? Don’t you need a TEAM to win multiple titles?

• Mar 8, 20132:06 pm
            by vic

you typed that Drummond’s ceiling is best center in the NBA. How many best center’s in the NBA don’t have multiple titles

• Mar 8, 20132:08 pm
            by G

Dwight Howard comes to mind… Patrick Ewing was on that list once…

• Mar 8, 20132:14 pm
            by vic

only exceptions to the best bigs in the game not winning a title are Jordan, Lebron, and Isaiah Thomas.
            Other than that the most dominant big man or big man combo usually gets it.
            Duncan, Shaq, Olajuwan, Kareem, Wallaces, McHale/Parish, Chandler/Dirk, Garnett, Wilt, Russell, Mikan etc…

How many high scoring pgs win championships?
            Iverson? Pistol Pete? Stephon Marbury?

• Mar 8, 20132:17 pm
            by vic

I’ll give you Dwight… but look who beat him. Lebron.

And I’d say the Pau/Bynum combo beats Dwight anyway.
            2 best centers in the game is better than one.
            And this year he’s injured, so it doesn’t count.

• Mar 8, 20132:25 pm
            by G

Yeah, but… KOBE. Who were the last 4 teams in the finals? Miami, Miami, Dallas and OKC. How many dominating centers in that group? ZERO.

• Mar 8, 20132:42 pm
            by G

By the way, every single big you named had a guard or wing player carrying a significant portion of the load in those championship seasons. Duncan had Parker, Shaq had Kobe & Wade, Kareem had Oscar and Magic, Wilt had West, Dirk is basically a 7ft SF, Garnett had Pierce and Rondo, McHale/Parrish… c’mon, that was Bird’s team. I can’t believe you said Mikan, they didn’t even jump back then.

• Mar 8, 20133:57 pm
            by Vic

Let me say it an easier way:
            Teams whose biggest producers are in the paint win more championships than teams whose biggest producers are guards/wings, exception being Jordan (beat Ewing), Lebron (beat Dwight), and Isaiah Thomas. KD could be an exception to that rule one day too. Kobe has never won it all without a dominant big

• Mar 8, 20134:19 pm
            by G

Allow me to put it another way – that “must have a dominant center” rule was iffy in the ’80′s and ’90′s, and it’s all but gone now. Here are the top 3 teams in each conference, along with their top producers:
            East
            Miami – LeBron, Wade
            NY – Carmelo
            Indiana – Paul George

West
            San Antonio – Parker/Duncan (it’s a tie, really)
            OKC – Durant, Westbrook
            LAC – Chris Paul

Out of those 6, I count 1 with a dominant big. 2 if you want to throw Chandler in with Melo. Last year was basically the same, only Chicago had what might be called a dominant big in the East, SA and LAL in the West (and the Lakers are always carried by Kobe).

• Mar 8, 20134:39 pm
            by G

List of teams to win a ‘ship when the best player was NOT a center, going back to 1980:
            ’81 Celtics with Bird
            ’84 Celtics with Bird again
            ’86 Celtics with Bird
            ’87 & ’88 Lakers with Magic
            ’89 & ’90 Pistons with Isiah
            ’91-’93 Bulls with Jordan
            ’96-’98 Bulls with Jordan
            ’04 Pistons with Billups
            ’06 Heat with Wade
            ’08 Celtics with Pierce
            ’09 & ’10 Lakers with Kobe
            ’11 Mavs with Dirk
            ’12 Heat with LeBron

That’s 22 out of the last 32 NBA Champs where their best player was not their center. You could make a case for a couple of those early ’80′s Laker teams that Magic was the best player, upping it to 24 out of 32.

Also, look at the increased frequency. Beginning with the ’04 Pistons only the Spurs in ’05 & ’07 won it all with a dominant center as their best player.

• Mar 8, 201312:47 pm

“End of debate”

Only if you’re debating someone without a brain.

• Mar 8, 20135:05 pm

Are you claiming that Irving could not lead a team to multiple championships?

Although, i do doubt that Irving will win scoring titles. That’s tough to do as a PG. I think Iverson, Archibald, and Bing are the only ones to do it. Since 1980, Iverson, Arenas, Rose, Westbrook, and Payton are the only PGs to even crack the top five.

• Mar 8, 20132:02 pm
        by jerrific

In response to G, I’d say Drummond’s is higher because he has the chance to become an incredible force at both ends of the court. Irving is a solid defensive player,  but he’ll never have the kind of impact Drummond is capable of achieving. Drummonds offense has a long way to go though. I won’t argue with you that Irving is closer, and far more like, to reaching his ceiling.

• Mar 8, 20132:13 pm
          by G

By the same token Drummond will never have the offensive impact Irving has. It’s a wash at best.

• Mar 8, 20135:08 pm

Indeed. Centers are in a better position to clean up others’ defensive mistakes. But PGs are in a better position to make the whole team perform better offensively.

• Mar 8, 201312:15 pm
    by ryan

I think both teams have excellent futures. I feel that Brandon Knight is significantly better than Dion Waiters so I count that in Detroit’s favor but the Cavs aren’t tied to any ugly contracts like Charlie Villanueva’s.

The key for each will be establishing the right culture and keeping a core together without overpaying.

• Mar 8, 20135:09 pm

The Pistons are not tied to CV. They can amnesty him. The ugliest contract “tied to” is Stuckey, who will be an expiring deal next year. Maybe Jerebko if you think he truly has no shot of recovering some of his old value.

• Mar 8, 201312:20 pm
    by Jeremy

I personally am not impressed by Irving. I guess I just might not see what others do in him – and then I looked at the numbers and I still am not impressed with him. Since he will probably always be compared to BK7 let’s look at both their careers thus far:
    Irving

0.1
    0.8
    2.2
    2.7
    13.4

My Analysis:
    Irving averages what, 2 more assists per? But he actually turns the ball over just as much as Knight. I question what Knight’s assist numbers would look like if he was playing with (other than Monroe) guys who were better offensively. Irving gets to the line more often, makes more of his free throws, puts up on average 4 to 6 shots more per game, and its just a small percentage more shots than Knight does. While it may sound like I am making a case for Irving being the better of the two, it honestly is a wash in my mind. The only real difference lies in their ppg production and that is directly tied to Irving putting up more shots, getting to the line more, and hitting more free throws. So in my mind, the only difference may be that Irving is a far more aggressive offensive player that Knight – should Knight be more aggressive? I don’t know the answer to that.
    Please note, this analysis is purely based on the numbers above that I copied from ESPN. It is very well likely that Irving averages 2 more assists per game because his aggressiveness may suck defenders in and get his team mates open. It could very well be attributed to the only guys on the Pistons that like to dive to the basket after a pick and roll are Drummond and Slava – both guys that Knight has had limited court time with.

• Mar 8, 201312:22 pm
      by Jeremy

Whoops, sorry about that. The tables definitely didn’t turn out like they appeared in this comment box. I tried to edit it, but to no avail.  I ban myself from commenting for 1 month because of it. Just go to ESPN and look at the numbers.

• Mar 8, 201312:26 pm
        by Mark

haha, it defiitely didn’t turn out right.  Its all good though, you dont need to ban yourself lol

• Mar 8, 201312:35 pm
      by G

Dude, it’s not a wash. It’s not CLOSE to a wash. Irving is clearly better. He shoots better, he gets more assists while getting the same number of TO’s, and he has a SICK handle. Imagine what Irving’s assists would look like if HE had better teammates (he actually has worse teammates than Knight does).

What you call “aggressiveness” I call “being good with the ball”. Irving has a better handle than Knight (than anybody, really), so he’s better at attacking, he sucks players in, and he blows by defenders more easily. If you want to compare two guys, do just look at the stats, check the tape.

• Mar 8, 201312:47 pm
        by G

*Should be “don’t just look at the stats”
        My bad

• Mar 8, 20131:29 pm
          by GET WELL SUSAN

in not gonna argue Irving is a better player than Knight… but its in a totally different situation…. Irving play alot of one on one basketball… they spread the floor…

Even with guys like Zeller, Thompson, and Varejao ..,can play outside the lanes….

End of the day he is a scoring PG….in a system which gives a freedom designed for his skill set….

• Mar 8, 20132:00 pm
          by oats

I kind of feel like pointing out that the stats aren’t close. Irving doesn’t just shoot more. Irving is a much, much better shooter than Knight. 46.5% from the field vs. 41.2% from the field. 42.1% from 3 vs. 37.5% from 3. 56.5% True Shooting % to 51.9% True Shooting %. 51.7% effective FG% to 48.3 effective FG%.

Knight’s only shooting advantage is that a higher percentage of shots he attempts are 3s. This is because Irving uses penetration to set up his passing. Because of shot choice Knight actually should be pretty close to Irving as far as points scored if he shot as often as Irving did, but his assist numbers would drop significantly. Meanwhile, if Irving wanted to maximize his scoring on his shot attempts he could shoot more 3s and pull away from Knight, but he too would have his passing numbers drop. In both of those scenarios it is pretty clear that Irving is just better than Knight.

• Mar 8, 20132:15 pm
            by G

^this. Irving should have an even higher TS% but he takes a lot of 20ft shots & threes with a foot on the line. As he gains experience, those will turn into threes & the TS% will go even higher.

• Mar 8, 20135:15 pm

He only scores more because he shoots better and gets to the line more? those are like two of the most important things for a player to do. And he gets about 50% more assists than Knight. And he plays for the Cavs. The Pistons are 16th in the league in FG%. The Cavs are 26th. I’d say that’s hurting Irving more than Knight (I don’t like to use this argument, but since you did, I thought I’d point out that it contradicts your point).

I could use your argument to say that Kevin Durant isn’t that much better than Rudy Gay.

• Mar 8, 201312:24 pm
    by Mark

Irving is not rated better than Drummond as longterm prospects are concerned.

At his best Irving could be the next Isiah. At Drummonds best he could be the next Shaq.

As much as I love Isiah, you take Shaq 10/10 times. 4 championships to 2.

In other words, Drummond has the greater chance to lead us to a dynasty than Irving does for CLE.

And then when you factor in Monroe is better than other player CLE, its no question, imo.

• Mar 8, 201312:44 pm
      by G

How many championships did Shaq have before Kobe? Championships are based on team effort, not individual accomplishment. When you rate someone’s ceiling, you’re rating the peak of their INDIVIDUAL potential. John Salley < Karl Malone, but Salley has rings on both hands, Malone has none.

• Mar 8, 201312:53 pm
        by G

Fact checking… Salley only has 4 rings, so not quite a handful. However, Robert Horry has 7 rings, and only a great fool would claim that Horry was better than Malone…

• Mar 8, 20131:43 pm
    by XstreamINsanity

Possibly because of being a fan, but honestly trying to think objectively, I’d have to go with the Pistons.  In two years, Kyrie has missed 29 of 127 games, or roughly 23%.  That is likely to get worse throughout his career.  Anderson Varajao also misses many games due to injury.  Andre Drummond has missed 13 games, and that number will go up, due to something that once healed shouldn’t be an issue again (but we’ll see, we have Arnie).  And while the Pistons have one pick to Cleveland’s four, the draft is more geared towards wing players and Cleveland kind of already has too many (or are set in the ones they have).  So unless they plan to draft or use those picks as trade bait, they aren’t really guaranteed to do much.  The Pistons have more cap room, let’s just hope they use it wisely.  And if they resign Calderon, I think is beneficial for his time here as well as whoever he mentors.  So BARELY, I think the Pistons have the better long term outlook.  I don’t think the Pistons and the Cavs are that different, including their potential.

And I personally would take a dominate defensive center over a dominating guard any day.

• Mar 8, 20132:14 pm
      by oats

The Cavs don’t have a SF. Alonzo Gee and Omri Casspi are their SFs, so no they aren’t set there. They also don’t have a decent 3rd guard, unless you see Waiters eventually getting demoted to 6th man. Honestly, that doesn’t sound like such a bad idea to me. Either way, there are holes along the perimeter to fill with a pick this year. I like Tyler Zeller all right, but they could also find a potential upgrade at center since it’s only a matter of time before they trade Verajao. This draft also has a bunch of 7 footers. Cleveland should definitely find help in this draft.

• Mar 8, 20135:18 pm

The injury issue is the one good argument I’ve seen for the Pistons so far. Drummond has missed 21% of his career, but that is a small sample size and it would be silly to extrapolate from it.

• Mar 8, 20132:15 pm
    by piston moribund

Cavs definitely have the best player in Irving but have whiffed prettry badly considering their draft position in the past.  He’s also more entertaining to watch and can make the highlights, but really.  Its too early to tell what Dre’s ceiling is.  but even if you have a dominant PG, its probably harder to get your team in the finals without the size you need to dominate.  Chris Paul, Nash, Stockton are just some examples of HOF PG who was at one point or another, the best in the game but never amounted to any ships.  But if you look at the dominant centers like the dream, Shaq, Timmy, they had better chances because scoring, rebounding and defense counts more then assists and scoring.  Howard is no where near their level.  I think Jose is a good example, that you can have outrageous assists total and still get blown out.  This obsession with assists is really a product of these advanced stat numbers where numbers somehow equals wins.  The Pistons dont need a PG, they need a coach.

• Mar 8, 20132:22 pm
      by G

Ewing, D12, Mutombo, Yao…

• Mar 8, 20135:20 pm

It would be foolish to assume, at this point, that Drummond will be better than that list. Those guys are pretty nice company.

• Mar 9, 20132:37 pm
          by G

Just naming REALLY good centers that never won a championship. For some reason there are a lot of people in this comments section that are under the impression that having a dominant center = championships.

• Jun 10, 201312:08 pm