At least we don’t have to endure calls for Brian Hill to replace Lawrence Frank permanently

New York Knicks 87 Final
Recap | Box Score
77 Detroit Pistons
Jason Maxiell, PF 37 MIN | 7-12 FG | 0-0 FT | 9 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 2 BLK | 2 TO | 14 PTS | -8

Maxiell dunked four times, three thanks to Jose Calderon’s ability to run the pick-and-roll. If only Maxiell had stuck to that. He was 0-for-3 on jumpers outside the restricted zone.

Jonas Jerebko, PF 27 MIN | 5-8 FG | 1-3 FT | 4 REB | 2 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 12 PTS | -1

In his first 12:41 of playing time, Jerebko had three shots and two assists. Per 12:41 entering the game, Jerebko averaged two more shots and one fewer assist, and the Knicks seemed to know that, overplaying him for the shot. I get Jerebko wants to score more, but he’ll do so more effectively if he’s less focused on shooting all the time. Once the Knicks adjusted to Jerebko’s willingness to pass, he had room to score. Amar’e Stouemire (22 points on 8-of-12 shooting) torched him, but I won’t blame Jerebko much for that. With Greg Monroe, Andre Drummond and Charlie Villanueva out injured, the Pistons didn’t have the size to defend Stoudemire. Unfortunately for Jerebko, he just got stuck guarding Stoudemire more than anyone else did.

Jose Calderon, PG 40 MIN | 4-10 FG | 1-1 FT | 3 REB | 16 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 3 TO | 10 PTS | -3

Who leads the NBA in 16-assist games? That’s right, it’s Calderon. With his fifth of the season, Calderon broke his tie with Rajon Rondo.

Brandon Knight, PG 39 MIN | 6-17 FG | 1-2 FT | 5 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 5 TO | 17 PTS | 0

Three of Knight’s first seven shots would have been assisted. He shot 1-for-7 on them. Nine of his next nine shots would have been assisted. He shot 5-for-9 on those. (His final shot was with the Pistons down 10 with 34 seconds left, when it was fine for Knight to force the action in isolation.) Also, Knight’s five turnovers were each pretty ugly, though it’s possible Calderon was out of position on one pass from Knight that went out of bounds. In short, Knight was pretty good when working hard off the ball to get good looks and awful with the ball in his hands.

Kyle Singler, SG 42 MIN | 6-12 FG | 0-0 FT | 8 REB | 0 AST | 2 STL | 1 BLK | 2 TO | 13 PTS | -1

Singler put in work tonight, playing a season-high 42 minutes and grabbing eight rebounds, which ties for his second-most. The undersized Pistons needed both, minutes and rebounds, and Singler answered the call, but he wasn’t overly effective in any one area.

Viacheslav Kravtsov, C 12 MIN | 2-2 FG | 0-0 FT | 2 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 3 TO | 4 PTS | -2

I can’t tell whether Kravtsov moves slowly on defense because he’s slow-footed or because he’s unsure where to go. Either way, it makes his defense poor.

Will Bynum, PG 17 MIN | 2-8 FG | 0-0 FT | 2 REB | 0 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 4 PTS | -17

I could tell you everything Bynum did wrong, or you could go read something nice about him.

Rodney Stuckey, PG 26 MIN | 0-5 FG | 3-4 FT | 3 REB | 3 AST | 2 STL | 1 BLK | 2 TO | 3 PTS | -18

When many people see Stuckey shot 0-for-5, they assume he didn’t give much effort. I don’t think that’s fair. Stuckey was trying tonight. He was just bad.

Brian Hill, acting head coach

Hill was pretty unimaginative, playing the starters a combined 185 minutes. The only other time the Pistons’ starters played more was Detroit’s double-overtime loss to the Nets, and the starters played less in regulation than they did tonight. I’m fine with this, because part of Hill’s job in his one-game fill-in for Lawrence Frank is to maintain the status quo. Fans might not like everything – or anything – Frank does, but as long as he remains head coach, Frank must maintain clear authority. If you don’t understand that, two words: Ron Rothstein.

The Pistons were outrebounded, 48-36, and I don’t mention that above, because only injuries are to blame. But that is a big reason Detroit lost, so if grades skew high, it’s because I’m not focused on a losing rebounding battle that has no bearing on the Pistons’ actual ability to rebound.

• Mar 7, 20131:03 am
    by Brandon Knight

Please no bullshit about Brandon Knight, he played the hardest on the court. No body plays harder than him. Yeah he makes some mistakes but he is only 21. I watched every single game, the players that I feel play the hardest and love the game are (The Moose, The Big Penguin, The Swedish Eagle, and off course BK7)

With the players that we currently have this is how our lineup should look like.

Greg Monroe

Andre Drummond

Jonas Jerebko

Brandon Knight

Jose Calderon

• Mar 7, 20131:26 am
      by Vince

6 for 17 isn’t terribly efficient, chuck in 5TOs for 1AST and you’ve got yourself a pretty terrible game, sure he hit 50% of his 3s, but he also hit 50% of his FTs. He had a disappointing game, but it was still an alright-ish one. He needs to improve a whole lot.

• Mar 7, 20138:35 am
        by I HATE FRANK

“”6 for 17 isn’t terribly efficient, chuck in 5TOs for 1AST and you’ve got yourself a pretty terrible game”

@Dan and Vince The shooting was not efficicent and turnover to ast was not good at all OVERALL….HOWEVER! Knight started the game 0-6 shooting in the first qrt…and finished 6-11, that included 4-5 for 3′s…his burst of offense got the Pistons back into the game in the 3rd qrt….. ITS AMAZING HOW He gets NO CREDIT! for the Good that he does and pick apart all he does wrong…

Im Not gonna attack Calderon to prove a point but Felton dropped 26pts on 10-15 shooting… all im saying theres two sides to the story…

Sometimes I feel like you guys do not really watch the games…

“”sure he hit 50% of his 3s, but he also hit 50% of his FTs. “”

50% for 3′s 4-8 for 3′s = 12pts , 50% of his FT HE WAS 1 for 2!!!! …that has to count as one of the lamest comparisons ever!!! when using percentages……

This Board has a Witch-Hunt out for Knight…

• Mar 7, 20138:54 am
          by G

Felton lit up Calderon, but he also had 7 TO. I don’t give Calderon full credit for that, but his D wasn’t mind-numbingly bad. Plus, any game with a 6’6″ center is going to be rough.

Knight didn’t have the best shooting night, but it wasn’t all that bad. The 5 TO he committed WERE bad, however, and probably why he got a D- more than the shooting. If he shot well, like 8-14 or something, he might’ve gotten a C+. I’ll agree though, that 50% FT comment was dumb.

• Mar 7, 20139:07 am
            by I HATE FRANK

“”Felton lit up Calderon, but he also had 7 TO. I don’t give Calderon full credit for that, but his D wasn’t mind-numbingly bad. Plus, any game with a 6’6? center is going to be rough.”"

1. did you watch the game? atleast 4 of Felton turnover was unforced turnover, he had a Palming call for good sake, lost the ball out of bounds, over threw it his name…atleast 4 had little to do with calderons defense…

2. Im not defending Knight Shooting at all, and im not even defending his To’s cause if you watch the game you can disput atleast 2 of those….. Im saying he impacted the game… he started off very Poorly, but in the 2 and 3rd offensively he put the Pistons in a good position….That all give the man his due….If he sits for 6-7 minutes and the opposing team goes on a 16-8 run… and no one can score… thats not Knight fault…Hill dissapointed me, taking out the hot hand

I’ll agree though, that 50% FT comment was dumb.

• Mar 7, 20139:18 am

• Mar 7, 20138:55 am
          by I HATE FRANK

I’ll go a step futher…

When Knight went out the game in the 4th qrt around the 9:30 mark in the 4th qrt… the score 68-65 Knicks

Knight comes back in the game with 3:45 minutes remaining in the game…and the 84-73 Knicks ….

During that Stretch on time Calderon had 1 ast and 1to…. But Ignore that…. and continue with the Witch-Hunt….

• Mar 7, 20139:05 am

• Mar 7, 20139:22 am
            by I HATE FRANK

“”Hard to get assists when everyone’s laying bricks. How about this – for that 6 minute stretch when he was on the bench, Brandon Knight had 0 turnovers.”"

I agree… Knight was the best scoring option…and he was on the Bench… Thats Coaching…and i dont blame Calderon.

But If i wanted to nitpick …in that same stretch of time as a team…they were 3-9 from the field and had 3to’s ….

• Mar 7, 20139:37 am
          by G

If you want to knock Knight’s accuracy in the game, you have to consider his true shooting %, which accounts for threes and FT’s. A really good TS% is in the 0.600 range (Calderon, Nash, Tony Parker), a bad TS% is in the high-0.400 range (John Wall is .489, Rodney Stuckey is .486, Monta Ellis is .483).

Knight’s TS% last night was .475. That’s not a good number. He kicked it up a notch after going 0-6, but you know, he did start the game 0-6. And had 5 turnovers. So… not a good game for Knight. You don’t need to apologize for him, he’s incredibly streaky as a player right now. He could go 10-18 tomorrow and have 5 assists.

• Mar 7, 20138:56 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

overall Knight has a 52% TS … so u can argue he is in the middle of the pack

• Mar 8, 20138:41 am
            by G

You could say that I suppose. Another way of saying it is by saying there are 77 guards in the NBA that are more effective scorers.

• Mar 7, 20134:52 pm
          by Chris N

“This Board has a Witch-Hunt out for Knight…”

Says the guy with a screen name that reads “I HATE FRANK”…

• Mar 7, 20135:03 pm
            by G

Well… Frank is definitely a sub-par coach. The jury is still out on Knight. One more year of Frank wouldn’t kill me though, he’s not the worst.

• Mar 7, 20138:54 pm
            by I HATE FRANK

Difference is frank is proven as a losing coach…and Knight is a 2 year player … Huge difference

• Mar 7, 20132:25 am
      by Jerrific

No one cares about effort. Terrible production is terrible production, and he played poorly. I sincerely hope that all of Knights very evident hard work pays off and he becomes an all star. But I really don’t think it’s gonna happen. Detroit needs to get value from him now while he still has it. Another year like this and everyone will realize he’s just another athlete that can’t put all his apparent potential together.

• Mar 7, 20138:46 am
        by Chris N

What would you surmise Brandon Knight’s “value” as right now seeing as how you think he isn’t likely to develop into an upper echelon player?

• Mar 7, 201312:08 pm
          by jerrific

He still has value based on potential.  Him meeting that potential is unlikely at this point because we’ve seen what he can do for almost two years, but it’s still easily enough that some teams might take that gamble. We should cash in now because, honestly,  I don’t think he will ever develop into a consistent player.

• Mar 7, 201312:13 pm
            by jerrific

*early.  damn swype.

• Mar 7, 20134:14 pm
      by Brandon Knight

How can you not love Brandon Knight????

Road to Motown: Becoming BK7, Part 2

• Mar 7, 20135:00 pm
        by G

5 TO, 1 assist, .475 TS%. I want him to be good, but he disappoints me a lot.

• Mar 7, 201311:45 pm
          by Brandon Knight

First, he is not playing the PG so you can’t really compare Assists to TO. Second, if you don’t turn the ball over then your not a human. Yeah 5 TO is a lot, but what do you expect from young player like Knight? Perfection?

• Mar 8, 20138:46 am
            by G

Just because he’s not a PG doesn’t mean that the stat is now irrelevant. For the SG position, most players average an A/TO ratio somewhere in between 2 & 1. I don’t expect perfection, but I do expect more good games than he’s given us.

• Mar 7, 20131:25 am
    by jacob

Hopefully on our way to the #6 spot in the draft.

• Mar 7, 20131:42 am
    by Trent

Where was Frank? hopefully packing up his office….

I’m praying we get lucky in the draft and catch a slider again. Let’s start some rumours about McLemore and Shabazz in a hope they fall to us.

• Mar 7, 20138:20 am
      by G

Not crazy about Shabazz. His game looks VERY average, and he’s got a crappy attitude.

• Mar 7, 20139:26 am
        by I HATE FRANK

I think his overall Talent is overrated… Kind of Remind me of Jason Richardson, but not as athletic of course…

But he is legit…and would be a excellent addition to his team

• Mar 7, 20139:39 am
          by G

Yes, a less athletic version of Jason Richardson. That’s a pretty good comparison. I’m not sure that makes him a legit starter though.

• Mar 7, 20139:45 am
          by G

…and then factor in the part where he’s a jack@$$

• Mar 7, 201310:29 am
            by frankie d

agree on shabazz.
            actually, he is an exact replica of the old kentucky guard, jack givens, down to the left handed shot.
            the kind of guy who will  probably play 10 years in the league, but end up with a jason richardson-like career.  not bad, but definitely not top 5 lottery material, imho.

• Mar 7, 201311:19 am
            by oats

@frankie d. I agree he’s probably not top 5 lottery material, but rumors are starting that the NBA doesn’t see him that way either. Chad Ford’s lottery machine routinely has him going 6-8. I’d say 7-10 is about right for him, and as of now that seems like a safe bet for Detroit’s pick. I could live with Jason Richardson with the 7th pick in the draft. I’d be disappointed with Muhammad if Detroit got into the top 6, but as of now I think there is a chance he’d be the best player available.

Comparing Muhammad to Givens is awfully tricky. Givens played before college used the 3 point shot. The short time he played in the NBA the shot was seen largely as a gimmick. Muhammad is a 44.6% 3 point shooter and the 3 point shot is considered a huge part of being a quality team. I think that inside out game makes Muhammad pretty valuable, and it just isn’t useful to compare him to a player from that far back. I actually like the Jason Richardson comparison better since it’s easier to quantify what that means, even if he is more similar to Givens athletically.

• Mar 7, 201311:28 am
            by G

Again, we’re spending a lot of time talking about his game when his attitude should cost him a couple spots in the draft also. If you think his skills make him a 7-10 pick, the attitude drops him into the 10-15 range. I’d rather have Burke. I’d rather have Gary Harris than Muhammad, truth be told, and I’m not crazy about Harris either.

• Mar 7, 201311:39 am
            by oats

I find it tricky to quantify the poor attitude thing. I don’t know how it will actually play in the locker room o how much it actually matters. I mean, I always thought Paul Pierce came off whiny, and I thought he had a bad attitude. Turns out he is really well respected in NBA circles. It is just really hard to properly assess his attitude by watching his games and hearing a handful of interviews. What’s more, spending a lot of time worrying about the attitude of 19 year old kids seems a bit odd. I have no idea how he’ll mature. That might be part of why Pierce is well respected, he has had a lot of time to mature since he entered the league. Given all that, I put no weight into that portion of the evaluation made by fans. I won’t complain if the team comes to the conclusion that he isn’t a safe pick due to his attitude, but they will have so much more information on that. After the season ends and teams stat leaking their thoughts on the subject I can start trying to put some weight on his attitude issues, but as of now the only information that I have and trust is his talent.

• Mar 7, 20138:56 am
      by Lorenzo

I actually likes Shabazz’s skill set, would fit in well with us. But I have to agree with G….his attitude and demeanor really turns me off…he has prima donna written all over. Might not be the best ingredient to bring into a young a team.

• Mar 7, 20139:02 am
        by G

Shabazz looks like a 3 & D guy to me, not what I want out of a lottery pick.

• Mar 7, 201310:23 am
          by oats

I don’t know, but I think Muhammad might be more than that. It needs a lot of work, but he’s shown signs of a pretty nice post game. As of now it’s based more on his size advantage over college defenders, but the fact that he’s willing to go down there is a good sign. If he really puts some work on putting some polish on it, that skill set should translate to the next level and leave him with a solid inside/out game. After he starts getting good at posting up pro guards he should focus on passing out of the post. In short, I’d want him to play like an old man. Think Kobe Bryant when his knee sucked and he didn’t have his athleticism. Not exactly a steal in the top 3, but in the 7-10 range he might have some good value.

• Mar 7, 201310:37 am
            by G

See, that’s what I’m talking about. I don’t think that post-up game holds up in the NBA. He’s a 6’6″ SF, a lot of his success come from being bigger & more athletic than his opponents. In the NBA he’ll only be average in size & athleticism.

• Mar 7, 201310:51 am
            by oats

I think he gets by at the 2. I think you deal with his lateral quickness problem in order to keep that post stuff in his game. I mean, if Jared Dudley can guard shooting guards then why can’t Muhammad? If he is a small forward his usefulness falls off a bit and he is more of a 3 and D guy.

By the way, I know some people will point out that teams can switch their small forwards on to him on defense. I think you want to pair Muhammad with a big SF so you always have their 2 running into a potential mismatch no matter who he guards.

• Mar 7, 20137:31 pm
          by Lorenzo

I’m not going to go into a long scouting report-ish response but will just say this…Shabazz doesn’t have the jump out the gym athleticism or size (at least at the 3) from a lot of guys you see at the 2 or 3… but that was never his game, he was never a physical specimen. What he always had working for him since his H.S. years was his basketball IQ on the offensive end, his development and understanding of the game on that side of the floor is very polished and developed. The guy is a very smart offensive player, he just knows how to score. At the pro-level he is probably more a 2 than a 3…but even if he doesn’t have the build for a 3, he has the length… which should serve him well on the defensive side of the floor in the pros. I would say Joe Johnson or Harden comparisons are fair…and his skills should translate well in the pros. It’s just his attitude, unfortunately as composed and intelligent as he comes off in interviews his off camera persona fails to match expectations.

• Mar 8, 201312:01 am
          by jacob

Shabazz shot 4-19 last night. Garbage.

• Mar 8, 20139:14 am
            by G

LeBron went 4-14 against Memphis last Friday. What a scrub.

• Mar 8, 20139:32 am
            by G

Let’s back up a second. First, if you’re breaking this draft up into tiers, then I think there are about 6 players in the top tier and there’s a bit of a drop off to the second tier. I think Shabazz Muhammad belongs in the 2nd tier.

Oats pointed out Muhammad probably gets a lot of time at the 2. I think he gets time at both spots, SG & SF, and his ceiling is maybe Dan Majerle with better defense. At worst he becomes a 3&D player, like what Thabo Sefolosha has become.

• Mar 8, 20131:28 pm
            by Lorenzo

Well I think it’s too early to get into tiers right now, we haven’t even had a peak at the conference tournaments let alone the NCAA. We can have plenty of talk on tiers and ceilings after the dust settles on that. It’s all subjective but I think at this point he is a sure bet Top-5 pick, and unless he has a disastrous post season or a few of the other guys have stupendously good tournament performances…I can’t see him dropping out of that perch. He has been pigeon holed as a top 5 pick for a couple of years now so he has some traction in all this. I obviously think more of his skill set than you, you might very well be right though; time will tell.

• Mar 7, 20132:20 am
    by Jerrific

Best headline ever. This isn’t a defense of Lawrence Frank, but there is more wrong with your team than coaching. Anyone that still thinks we’re a playoff team minus Frank is kidding themselves.

Hopefully we keep losing games the rest of the season. We need all the ping pong balls we can get. I would hate to see the Pistons odds destroyed again by another late season effort in a vain attempt to make the team look respectable, when all they’re really doing is hurting themselves in the long run.

• Mar 7, 20139:03 am
      by Chris N

“I would hate to see the Pistons odds destroyed again by another late season effort in a vain attempt to make the team look respectable, when all they’re really doing is hurting themselves in the long run.”

Greg Monroe:   #7 pick 2010 draft
      Brandon Knight #8 pick 2011 draft
      Andre Drummond #9 pick 2012 draft

How exactly have the Pistons hurt themselves in the long run by “trying to make the team look respectable”?

And if the team does go so far as to commit itself towards losing as many games as it can, isn’t management sending a signal to its current players that it has no faith that they are capable of improving?

Think of what committing to losing entails.  It means actively trying to be as bad as possible.  Its not simply playing the worst players on your team.  Its also active regression.  Don’t get better.  Extinguish all thought that its possible to win the next game or any game.  Its embracing a losing psychology which undermines what should be the ultimate goal of winning as many games for as long as possible.

And for what?

The opportunity to draft a young player into a team with that culture of thinking?

No thanks.

• Mar 7, 20133:27 pm
        by Herman Neutic

“Think of what losing entails. It means actively trying to be as bad as possible.”

I think there is an art to it. You try get better and build the team concept, keep the players involved, and keep the games as close as possible, but you don’t worry about winning this year. It takes a good coach to pull this off.

• Mar 7, 20138:27 pm
          by Chris N

“You try get better and build the team concept, keep the players involved, and keep the games as close as possible, but you don’t worry about winning this year. It takes a good coach to pull this off.”

I think what you’re describing isn’t what I understand tanking a season to mean.  What you are describing is what last season looked like for the Pistons.  Build a team concept, try to develop an identity, compete and build momentum both for the current season and the next one.  Success should come not from the overall ledger, but in the amount of progress the players and the team made.

Tanking is completely throwing in the towel on a season and on a team.  There’s not much ‘momentum for next year’ because in all likelihood the team is headed towards a major overhaul and many of the faces currently on the roster won’t be there next season.  There’s a lethargy and an anxiousness to get the season over with as a breaking point has either been reached or is fast approaching

I don’t think that’s where the Pistons are yet.  As disappointing as the season has been at times, I still get a sense that the team is on the ascent.  I think barring an unfettered catastrophe the last few weeks of the regular season, Lawrence Frank will return and that his job will be to continue to evaluate the players that he has that will be here next season.  I think Joe Dumars will look to build and refine the nucleus he has rather than deconstructing it and starting from scratch.

If next season is as disappointing as this season has been; if the offseason is a bust rather than a success, then I think we might very well see the organization “tank” towards the end of next season in an effort to rebuild itself.  But not yet.

• Mar 7, 20133:09 am
    by PistonFanSinceDay1

Why is it every time I look on this site these writers give Singler a good grade? Singler is the weakest player on our team and his defense is beyond terrible. Knight, Maxiell, and Jerebko should have the highest grades tonight without a doubt. Calderon sucks on D and gave up 26pts to Felton, no why in hell should he receive an A-.

• Mar 7, 20138:47 am
      by Chris N

PistonFan,

Do you think that the Pistons should cut Singler as you think he’s the weakest player on the team?

• Mar 7, 201311:03 am
      by G

Singler is about the only guy on the team who plays to or above expectation, other than the 3 best guys on the team. He’s not fantastic, he probably shouldn’t be starting on an NBA team, but he doesn’t look out of place either.

On the other hand you’ve got guys who play WAY below expectation, like Stuckey, Maxiell, and sometimes Knight and Jerebko. Maxiell had a rare good game. I wasn’t surprised by Jerebko’s. But the problem with them is Maxiell is USUALLY bad, and Jerebko has no consistency. Singler’s steady effort is better than either of them most nights.

Knight was bad. He shot poorly and turned it over a ton. Don’t know which game you were watching, but he certainly didn’t earn a top-3 grade.

• Mar 7, 201311:22 am
        by Jodi Jezz

G, Knight played defense and hustled!.. That deserves a better grade than all the other bums on our team who played no defense and run around the court looking friendly…I can’t believe your making an argument that Singler plays above expectation…Singler sucks and he’s an embarrassment to the Pistons organization…Just watch a Pistons game, it seems like our opponents take turns abusing Singler…No one respect that dude….

• Mar 7, 201311:49 am
          by G

So Singler doesn’t hustle? Tell me, who was abusing Singler last night? Knight took more off the table last night than he brought, that’s why he gets a bad grade. Singler was… steady. Not great, not terrible. Knight was bad.

On your average NBA team, Singler is probably a backup SF. On THIS team, he’s a starter.

• Mar 7, 20132:41 pm
            by Huddy

Singler is a second round talent that is destined to be a role player.  He does most things average and thats it.  Like you said (G) he is a back up that is starting on this team and it is probably just for the end of the season until we make some changes in the off season.  Knight is a top 10 pick and had a bad game all of this “he tries more” stuff is just opinion.  He is playing well at SG but he just had a bad game against a pretty good team even without Melo (especially since we were missing Monroe).  No one needs to complain about who was the worst or pick other dudes that “look like they aren’t trying as much” it was a bad game just like the Spurs 30+ pt loss, no body was great.  Singler didn’t get abused, Felton and Amare were the leading scorers in the game and Sinlger is not a PG or a PF so I don’t see much of their scoring falling on Singlers shoulders.  J.R. Smith scored 20 but on 30% FG shooting, thats not abusing anyone that inefficient scoring.  No one else scored more than 9 pts so I am curious to hear who the abuse came from.  Comments like “opponents take turns abusing Singler” and “no one respect that dude” are not based on anything.  Is there some player respect poll we haven’t read? no? its more likely he is a decent talent especially for the 2nd round that is playing utterly average in the starting line up.

• Mar 7, 20133:28 am
    by Mel

Knight will be alright, give him time. Next year he will be ready to hit the ground running. This is his second year , remember most guard blossom quicker than others. Knight wants to be great. He’ll get there because he works at it. Stuckey think he is great , he will never get there because he doesn’t work at it( Wasted Talent). Knight has shown plenty of games what he’s capable of this year. Once he gets consistent I can see him make the all star  team a couple of times. We have to be patient with him. It would be good to see him work out with other point guard during the summer more instead of staying at the palace working out. That way he can learn and grow from other players.

• Mar 7, 201310:03 am
      by T Casey

I hope so. His development may be a hidden x-factor so to speak for us moving forward. Monroe’s proven himself to be an above average, near all star quality big man and Drummond, if he works on his game properly, already has been labeled as potentially the next great big man. If things can click for Knight this summer and he’s able to be at least a consistently solid player, the team could make a considerable jump next year. I like his attitude and he seems like a true Piston player, moreso than most guys on the team, but he’s got to begin producing like everyone else does. No dodging that.

• Mar 7, 20135:04 am
    by Derek

Stuckey wasn’t trying period.  Dude tripped on defense and laid on his side and waited for the play to end.  He didn’t the slightest effort to get up.  We need to decrease his minutes by 25 and bring him to zero.  Yank him out of the rotation and let Kim & Khris play.  I can’t support dude anymore.

• Mar 7, 20137:21 am
    by robertbayer

really good article dan .. funny and sharp .. only quibble is what has already been mentioned … Calderon’s Defense was bad .. He just cannot stay in front of his man nor with him .. Felton burned him .. So .. his grade even with 16 assists might had better been a tad lower .. Love Calderon’s Offense .. hate his defense .. and he is only going to get slower at 32 next season … He is only a temporary “fix” …

• Mar 7, 20138:12 am
    by Chris N

Wow…no I HATE HILL screen names popping up in here.  Where are the tirades about how he failed to start Slava Kratsov over Maxiel?  What about the ‘lack of effort’ at the end of the game?   Apathy must be setting in on this board.

• Mar 7, 20138:40 am
    by G

Loved to see Jerebko doing well. It’s a shame Frank left him out of the rotation most of the year.

• Mar 7, 20139:04 am
      by Brigs

jerebko is a quality player I think he would be a great 7th man on any team, he just had a horrible start to the year. Bk7 also is showing me a lot at the SG spot, u can’t expect him to be perfect but he already is an above average 3 pt shooter with great athleticism which puts him above where rose and wall were in their sophomore years if he keeps this up I think he will surprise a lot of people next year and hopefully makes the leap that rose did. I’m not saying he will be an mvp candidate but I think he could be a fringe all star guy.

• Mar 7, 20139:06 am
        by G

He’s got miles to go before he’s a fringe all star, but I agree, he’s looked better as a SG than as a facilitator.

• Mar 7, 20139:31 am
          by I HATE FRANK

“”Did you read the part where I said “I don’t give Calderon full credit for that”? The knicks were throwing the ball around like they had a 6th guy on their team but he was in the 3rd row.”"

wasnt coming at you…it was for the readers to know
          “”We know Calderon’s defense is bad, but it looks worse when everyone around him is also bad. What he DOES bring is ball security (one of Knight’s BIG weaknesses), accurate shooting and… offense-running… for lack of a better term. He’s Steve Nash-esque on the defensive side, but I’ll take it with what he brings to the table on offense.”"

Exactly how I feel about Knight, He’s a scorer…and decent shooter… sometimes they start slow, and sometimes they are streaky…but you have to take the good with the bad

“”Knight is a better defender than Calderon, but not enough to make up for his mistakes on offense. Knight needs to work on ball security and try to play off the ball more. If he does that, I think he can be a legit starter at the 2-guard position. If he continues the way he’s been, up & down, every night is different, then he has to come off the bench. He’s still developing, I’m not saying close the book on him just yet.”"

i agree again, but he needs a defined role….I think he can be a force at the SG position

• Mar 7, 20139:42 am
            by G

We may be coming to an agreement on this…

• Mar 7, 201310:08 am
            by Brigs

I don’t think he’s too far away, if his work ethic is anything close to how good they say it is I could see him come out next year and avg 17+ pts while playing solid defense and keeping his t.o down. If we have a winning record that definetly makes him a fringe all star player

• Mar 7, 20131:24 pm
            by Huddy

Knight is on the right track to solidify his role at SG, which is really good for him and the team(we’ve had far too much mismanagement of player positions).  I don’t think a lot of fans understand the give and take with Calderon.  He is not a great defender, but guys whit his skill set often aren’t.  Unless we are bringing in a very top tier player like Chris Paul you are going to give and take something.  Another PG may defend better, but won’t have the facilitating ability of Calderon, or might not be an outside threat, or may turn the ball over more, more like they will do some combination of those things.  I for one would rather have some one facilitating the offense at this point than just have someone locking down the opponent’s PG.  Facilitating is good for our young bigs to shine, it take pressure of a player like Knight so he can play his game, and defense is a lot easier to fix with the help of our other players(especially in the paint) than distributing the ball is.  For every “I told you Calderon can’t play D” post I would like to see who people think we should reasonably bring in in his place.

• Mar 7, 20131:53 pm
            by G

AGREE! Especially the bit about Calderon. I keep telling people we need to get a couple more good defenders on this team and you won’t even notice Jose’s bad D.

• Mar 7, 20131:12 pm
        by Huddy

@Briggs Knight is definitely showing promise at SG and should stay there.  He also is definitely not where Rose or Wall were their sophmore years.  If you were only talking about 3pt shooting i guess but in scoring, athleticism, assist numbers he isn’t above them.  I don’t like Wall really and think BK can be better than him in the long run though.

• Mar 7, 20131:49 pm
          by G

I agree, Rose & Wall are bad comparisons. Knight is better from outside & playing off the ball, both of them are better inside & handling the ball. Rose’s 2nd year he was scoring 20 pts a game & looked like a PG.

• Mar 7, 20135:38 pm
          by Brigs

I was talking about the 3 point shooting only.  bk7 is no where near where rose was at and is doin much better then wall in a couple of areas which is why I beleive that with his work ethic he will be come a fringe all star player next year. Remember rose only became great when he developed his 3 pt shot so this gives me alot of confidence in bk7 since he already is pretty reliable with it

• Mar 8, 20138:53 am
            by G

Rose & Wall are COMPLETELY different players from Knight. Rose wasn’t some bum that developed a 3pt shot and suddenly became MVP. He was still a bad 3pt shooter his second year,  but he averaged 20 & 6. He’s STILL not a good 3pt shooter, his .312% is below league average.

3pt shooting is one of Knight’s strengths, probably his biggest one. Rose & Wall have other strengths that Knight will probably never have, just like Wall will probably never have a good shot & Rose will probably be only average at best from 3. It’s a bad comparison.

• Mar 8, 20139:41 am
            by G

It’s like comparing Magic Johnson’s lack of a 3pt shot to Craig Hodges in 1986… Hodges already HAS a 3pt shot, all he has to do is work on that other stuff!

• Mar 7, 201310:06 am
    by Big Rick

Stuckey was horrible. He needs a change of scenery in the worst way!

• Mar 7, 201311:07 am
    by GEORGIO

Stuckey has given up, he’s not happy with his role, which I think that 1 game suspension was about. People forget that Stuckey and Drummond were our catalyst off the bench and he was playing quite well in that role. Then he hurt his ankle and missed 3 games and when he came back Will was in the rotation as the PG. This put Stuckey back in the position of SG and running off screens or spotting up which was the reason he vonluntarily left the starting unit. As the backup PG with the ball in his hands he was happy and effective and that’s the way he should be used. If Will is not resigned and if Stuckey’s not traded this summer, I think he will be fine next year as the backup PG.

• Mar 7, 201311:12 am
      by G

I’d rather re-sign Will. He’s got a better attitude and embraces his role.

• Mar 7, 20132:19 pm
        by Huddy

Will should be considerably cheaper as well.  We really need to move Stuckey because he is far overpaid to be an inconsistent role player.  His contract is based on him being a main feature of the team and he isn’t there.  I think Stuckey being played at the SF was a terrible decision but besides that his production is his own problem not the coaching staffs.  He has had years to prove himself and just hasn’t done it.  He went between PG and SG, but really thats just because of his size.  He is a combo guard so you have to see where his skills work best and it seems like nowhere.  He is not great with the ball in his hands.  He doesn’t distribute particularly well or finish his drives (or any shots for that matter) at a good rate (below 40% FG shooter) he simply doesn’t produce.

• Mar 7, 201311:33 am
    by Al

Yea I think Stuckey is officially called it a year! I think the Pistons should just part ways with him this year. We dont use him the right way and he is probably not happy im sure. He is professional to an extent but im sure he will never come out and just say it. Unfortunately he will bennefit from another team like all the rest of our former players we failed to use the right way.. But, I do think its time to get whatever we can for him.. Smh I did have high hopes for him and the team this year, they had a nice summer….

• Mar 7, 20131:04 pm
      by inigo montoya

I thought Stuckey gave some effort last night, he is just not a good shooter.
      If Stuckey shoots better, it helps the team immensely, also it helps his trade value.  You are likely to get less for Stuckey now versus more when he shoots better

What is the problem with Stuckey’s shooting?
      If it is confidence, then one of the ways to correct it possibly would be for him to shoot more and let him ride out some 2-16 games.

If he gets shooting better, it will be better for everybody, including potential trading partners

• Mar 7, 20131:56 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

Off topic, but I’m gonna be the biggest troll between now and the draft so with that being said…DUMARS DRAFT TREY BURKE!!!

• Mar 7, 20132:07 pm
    by Pratik

I was at the game and it was painful to watch. Had no idea Monroe and Melo would be out when I bought the tickets.

There was nothing exciting about the entire game until that stretch by the starters in the 2nd half that gave us a 10point lead. And then Felton JR made a few threes, and we turned the ball over a lot. But what was most annoying about the entire night, was Brian Hill playing Rodney Stuckey and Will Bynum for the majority of the 4th quarter. Both had terrible games, and still continued to get minutes. The players who were productive in the game were Singler, Knight, Calderon, and Jonas Jerebko. Even without a center, Maxiell and Jonas although were getting killed by Amare, still put up a decent fight. But both Jonas and Knight sat throughout the 4th until the 3 minute mark, when we lost the lead and were down by 10. Game after game, this only proves one thing, we have a terrible coaching staff.

I know this stretch the Pistons have looked horrible and everyone is blaming the players. But we had some good moments this season, but we probably lead the NBA in giving up huge leads and losing games, there is some crazy stat out there that someone once posted. I agree we don’t have amazing players and the best of talent, but we have a foundation and some players who do compete, inconsistently but one of them usually shows up each night, good enough to give us a double digit lead. Now it’s up to the coaches to manage the game, rotations, call the right play, set up plays for players who are actually feeling it and playing well during the game. Not for Rodney Stuckey who struggled the entire game.

Was really disappointing and a waste of money to watch this team play.

I think we have to start this off season by firing FRANK and Joe Dumars. Dumars has been given enough chances to rebuild or at least become a .500 team. Gores has to take this franchise moving forward with another GM, because JOE D’s decisions will always be determined by two factors: 1) As a player he won championships with the Pistons, and 2). As a GM he once built a team that was good for 5 seasons, and won a NBA Championship. All of that doesn’t matter anymore, and JOE D is going to continue to reflect on the past, as he continues to do when he says Calderon and Knight are going to be like Isiah and Joe D, as Knight claims in his interviews when they moved him to the 2. He said the same thing to Stuckey when he was switched to the 2 after Knight was drafted.

He’s gotta go!

• Mar 7, 20132:41 pm
      by Chris N

So in firing Joe Dumars at the beginning of the season you gain….what?  If anything, if they were so inclined, the Pistons would need to fire him him in order to get a team together in time to formulate a plan for the offseason.  Waiting til the end of the season would hamstring everything.

But again, what does firing Dumars gain you?  I’d understand if he’d missed all or most of his draft picks in the past five years.  But he didn’t.  Andre Drummond could be a potential superstar waiting in the wings.  Greg Monroe is a very solid player with upside and Singler’s got the look of a good “glue” guy.  Brandon Knight is still something of an enigma but he still shows a fair amount of potential

I’d understand firing him if going into this post season the Pistons were stuck with a roster riddled with overpaid players and no cap space.  The Pistons look to have substantial cap space this off season and possibly in 2014 as well.

I might be more amenable to the idea if Joe Dumars didn’t admit and rectify his mistakes.  But he takes ownership and changes his mistakes in to assets.

So I ask again, what does firing Dumars get you?

• Mar 7, 20133:46 pm
    by jacob

Draft Trey Burke

• Mar 7, 20135:40 pm
      by Blocks by Dre

^^yes! THIS! ^^

• Mar 7, 20134:09 pm
    by Trent

Everyone is talking about shabazz’s attitude and demeanour….read all the articles about Dre before the draft, he was exactly the same! This guy will flourish in the NBA and if he played for a contender in the NCAA he would be a top 3 pick. He, like Dre, is in a no win college situation and when he comes out and plays his first month everyone will be saying “damn! How did we let him slide so far.”

there is so much talent there and if you watch him down the stretch or when his team is down he puts them on his back and fights. Isis attitude will get ironed out pretty quickly at the next level and he will become a good-great NBA scorer.

• Mar 7, 20134:31 pm
      by G

Except there’s SOME credence to critiques about Muhammad’s attitude while the questions about Drummond’s motor were vague impressions people had. I don’t think he should fall more than a couple spots, unless something else happens. It’s not like he stole something or punched a teammate out, he just acted like a little bit of a b*tch

• Mar 7, 20134:33 pm
      by G

I don’t think he’ll be a good-great NBA scorer though. His game doesn’t look good enough. I think he tops out at 15 pts a game, maybe 16. I could be wrong but I don’t think his game translates well.

• Mar 7, 20136:01 pm
    by Trent

Ok then G, apart from Shabazz who do you believe has to upside and desired skill set for the pistons to pick from around the 6-10 range? Of course the balls could call our way, we get McLemore, but if they fall the way they usually do, who we picking?

I think Porter will be off the board, smart is ANOTHER combo guard and we dont need a big. So do you think Robinson III? or Oladipo?

Another point to ponder. There are some talented 2′s and 3′s that are just beginning to blossom so if we get say…pick 8, could that become a trade chip? We already have outstanding youth with Moose, Dre and BK so could we use that pick and our cap space to try and get a 3rd-5th year guy that can come in and contribute? To often I believe teams place to much value in draft picks which is something we could take advantage of and try and win us a ready made player.

If we go for a two then let BK return to the point and say adios to Jose or if we go a 3 man then give jose a deal and we could start Jose, BK, Traded in player, Moose, Dre. That coupled with smart bench players could be playoff bound..

• Mar 8, 20139:02 am
      by G

Robinson III? I don’t even think he belongs in the draft. He needs to go back in the oven & bake a little, he’s not done yet.

Wish list goes like this: McLemore, Oladipo, Porter, Burke… I guess Gary Harris, and if none of them are available, then Muhammad. In the second round I think we should go for Ray McCallum or Adreian Payne.

I think if we draft a 2 we should still keep Calderon. Knight isn’t a PG, trying to force him to play there just screws with his development. I’m usually against dealing picks because that rookie scale means you have (hopefully) a quality player for something like 9 years at a (relatively)  small salary.

• Mar 7, 201311:22 pm
    by Pratik

@ Chris N:

Firing Dumars gets you a new ideology, management, and coaching system (if L. Frank also leaves) in place. In the last decade Detroit has never been a ball club that manages and grows it’s young players, and realizes their true potential, they just don’t give enough opportunities for player development and growth. Examples: Darko (terrible pick, but also poor managed), Aaron Afflao, Carlos Delfino, Amir Johnson, Austin Daye.

We are a young team now! And I agree with you that we have talent in Monroe, Drummond, Brandon Knight, Kyle Singler, and maybe even Kim English and Khris Middleton. But I’m totally convinced that these players do not have anyone to look up to and learn from.

• Mar 8, 20139:09 am
      by G

New isn’t always better. Dumars has made a lot of mistakes, but then you just listed 6 promising players that Dumars also drafted. Wait & see what he does this off-season, and I suspect there’s more to come in the Summer of 2014. Wiping the slate clean would set the team back. You do that when they hit bottom, not when they’re rebuilding.

FYI, Afflalo’s first name is actually spelled Arron. Not a big deal, it’s probably the most misspelled name of any American-born player.

• Mar 8, 201310:51 am
        by Chris N

“In the last decade Detroit has never been a ball club that manages and grows it’s young players, and realizes their true potential.”

That’s not accurate.  Tayshaun Prince an Mehmet Okur were both drafted by the Pistons and played a prominent role in helping the Pistons win the 2004 championship.

And the reason most of the other players on your list didn’t get the type of playing time that younger developing players often need is that they were a successful team with a veteran-centric roster.  Not the environment that’s usually conducive towards “developing” young talent.

The Pistons may have erred in holding on to their veteran core for as long as they did, but that’s an observation made with the benefit of hindsight.

As I mentioned before, gutting the front office now could be a dangerous move and very ill-timed. The Pistons would need to 1) interview and find a GM that would then have a matter of weeks to 2) get up to speed on the pistons assets and liabilities talent and cap-wise,  3) make a plan of action regarding cap space and free agency, 4)interview and hire a coach and 5) prepare for the draft and go through free agency.

That’s a lot to try to accomplish at a critical juncture.  I think that the Pistons would only attempt to do something like that if it were evident that ownership had a complete lack of confidence in Joe Dumars.  I don’t think that they do.

• Mar 8, 201311:22 am
          by G

^Agree. This team FEELS like it’s headed in the right direction, even while going to a 4th straight lottery. Obviously Joe D has to use his cap space well, but I think he deserves a chance.

Part of the problem with the post-2008 Pistons is Dumars was trying to rebuild the team’s core on the fly, which is EXTREMELY hard to do. If he had instead decided to blow it up & start over, we wouldn’t have made the playoffs in 2009 but we probably would be 2 years ahead of where we are now. The bad contracts & Davidson’s death also delayed the “blow it up” process for another couple years, but now we’re there.

We have a young, somewhat talented core, cap space, and a lottery pick. This is the best position the team has been in since they held the #2 pick in the 2003 draft. Don’t blow it!