Andre Drummond returns, Brandon Knight re-injured ankle and breaks nose, Pistons lose big in front of another home crowd

Toronto Raptors 99 FinalRecap | Box Score 82 Detroit Pistons
Greg Monroe, C 30 MIN | 3-11 FG | 5-6 FT | 13 REB | 5 AST | 0 STL | 2 BLK | 3 TO | 11 PTS | -16Monroe was solid on the glass and decent in the passing game, but he struggled with his shot and … well … let’s just not talk about the interior defense on Amir Johnson and Jonas Valanciunas tonight.
Andre Drummond, C 19 MIN | 8-10 FG | 1-4 FT | 4 REB | 0 AST | 2 STL | 2 BLK | 2 TO | 17 PTS | -7Drummond’s defense wasn’t great, either, but he scored around the basket, he blocked shots, he rebounded and he didn’t look all that rusty considering he’s missed the last 22 games.
Jose Calderon, PG 31 MIN | 3-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 7 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 3 TO | 8 PTS | -16Calderon wasn’t as sharp as we’ve seen him in other games, but for once, I can compliment his defense. He helped hold Kyle Lowry to a quiet game.
Brandon Knight, PG 26 MIN | 1-4 FG | 2-3 FT | 0 REB | 3 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 4 PTS | -24The bad news: Knight appeared to re-injure the ankle that caused him to miss games earlier this month. He also broke his nose. The good news: our grades tool now has the option for us to give ‘incompletes’ for players who are forced to leave due to injury. The bad news: Knight played a lot too poorly for too long in this game for me to to consider using the incomplete for the first time. Hopefully the Pistons didn’t rush Knight back too soon and hopefully his injury is not serious.
Kyle Singler, SG 33 MIN | 5-12 FG | 2-4 FT | 6 REB | 2 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 13 PTS | -15Same story with Singler — he was overmatched defensively against Toronto’s quick wings, but he hit open jumpers, rebounded and made enough hustle plays to make him among the better players on the court for the Pistons on a night when most of his teammates struggled.
Jonas Jerebko, PF 28 MIN | 9-14 FG | 2-2 FT | 5 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 20 PTS | -6Other than Drummond’s return, Jerebko was the lone bright spot for the Pistons. He was active offensively, moved without the ball well and, if he can (finally) add a consistent 3-point shot in the offseason, he’ll head into next season as a reliable rotation player again.
Jason Maxiell, PF 13 MIN | 0-3 FG | 0-0 FT | 2 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 0 PTS | -11Maxiell’s role was finally reduced, and if this had happened earlier in the season, perhaps Maxiell’s production wouldn’t have fallen off a cliff. All parties would’ve been better off with Maxiell in a smaller role much sooner than the last week of March.
Khris Middleton, SF 8 MIN | 0-4 FG | 2-2 FT | 0 REB | 3 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 2 PTS | +10Middleton didn’t make a shot and continues his slump since he had a brief stretch where he looked like he was ready to carve out a backup role down the stretch.
Viacheslav Kravtsov, C 6 MIN | 0-1 FG | 1-2 FT | 1 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 1 PTS | +6Kravtsov played a few cursory minutes and was his usual — big and awkward, but seemingly trying really hard.
Rodney Stuckey, PG 25 MIN | 0-3 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 3 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 0 PTS | -10An all-too-familiar scene this season — Stuckey playing significant minutes while barely making any kind of positive contribution to the game.
Kim English, SG 21 MIN | 2-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 6 PTS | +4English played a decent amount of minutes and shot 2-for-5 from three. On this night, that’s enough to make him one of the top players the Pistons put on the court.
Lawrence Frank

Frank immediately starting Drummond in his return from injury is enough to get him a (barely) passing grade on a night when his team looked awful in just about every way.

• Mar 29, 201311:14 pm
    by RalphHau

It looked to me like the Raptors were running circles around the Pistons.  Way too slow getting back, when Andre blocked a shot, Greg Monroe could not defend his guy and there nothing but easy putbacks.  This super duo is too slow!

• Mar 29, 201311:15 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

I promise but before BK got hurt I was gonna say he just Has not looked the same since he came back and I was wondering has he been playing injuried … then he gets hurt again…I said earlier if Knight need to not play in summer league to recover he should play anymore this season…

Glad to see u back Dre…you make it worth watching

• Mar 29, 201311:19 pm
    by robert bayer

Accurate grades … good article .. thank you .. far better than the Pistons are playing ..

• Mar 29, 201311:26 pm
    by Mark

I’m so tired of Rodney Stuckey.

The only value you bring to the team is your scoring, and in 25 min you get 0 pts???

wtf do we need this guy for?

I don’t care if we can get anything for him or not in a trade. His 4 mil in capspace by buying him out, and just having him off the team, will be more beneficial than any trade.

I heard someone say he was laughing on the bench again tonight, while we were getting blown out by 25.

GTFO

• Mar 29, 201311:40 pm
      by TDP

He needs to get bought the **** out.

• Mar 30, 20135:25 pm
      by Piston Truth

That Garbage bum need to go thats a disgrace calling him the “poor mans D-wade” he’s defently poor alright with that weak ass game idc ship his ass to china or Alaska

• Mar 29, 201311:28 pm
    by David

One more bitter-sweet bright spot tonight: More lottery combinations! After Michigan’s amazing win tonight I’m all in on Trey Burke. He’s got the NBA 3 down, he’s clutch, great vision. I’m biased as hell, but he looked a lot better than Mclemore.

• Mar 29, 201311:39 pm
      by Brigs

If the option is between mclemore and burke u gotta take mclemore he would be perfect for our team, he had a good game tonite too but he’s the only nba bound player on Kansas while UM had about 4 or 5 on the court at any given time. Btw I’m a huge Michigan fan and I would love for the pistons to get Burke but just not over mclemore

• Mar 29, 201311:43 pm
      by DasMark

Completely different scenarios for those two guys. Burke is the #1 option and always has the ball in his hands.

McLemore is the freshman playing with 4 other seniors and generally gets looked over. I recall more than an handful of plays where McLemore was calling for the ball, where he would have had an amazing look, and his moron teammates neglected him. (Note: Burke also has a WAY better team!)

As for NBA player, McLemore is on another level than Burke. Benny Mac has a quick release 3 pointer that’s picture perfect in form and he can nail it off the dribble and he has great athleticism.

Burke has good court vision, not amazing (Steve Nash is amazing). And he’s a score-first player, which works well at the college level, but imagine him trying to shake players like Derrick Rose, John Wall and Russell Westbrook. Those three are all bigger, stronger and faster than Burke. They will dominate him, and that’s exactly the players any contending team will have to deal with in the playoffs.

• Mar 30, 20132:44 pm
        by oats

How is Michigan a way better team than Kansas? That game was in overtime for a reason.

Athleticism is not a prerequisite for scoring. Steve Nash certainly isn’t a better athlete than any of those guys you listed either, but he’s scored pretty effectively. After his injury Chris Paul was both smaller and less athletic than those guys, but it didn’t effect him much. Plus, I don’t think Burke is as unathletic as you seem to be suggesting. He’s not an elite athlete like those guys, but he’s still reasonably quick.

His nearly 7 assists to two turnovers suggests he isn’t just a score first player. His passing numbers are slightly better than what Chris Paul did in college. He’s a point guard that can score, that’s different. Burke also happens to be Michigan’s best scorer. Sometimes he goes in to score first mode, but he does it because the team needs him to do that occasionally. Chris Paul does that from time to time too, but no one calls him a score first point guard.

I have a higher grade on McLemore than Burke, but Burke is a really good pro prospect.

• Mar 29, 201311:31 pm
    by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Yeah yeah we suck what’s new? Anyways definitely all in on Burke! If we have the chance to draft him and we pass I think I might be done with this team until Dumars is fired

• Mar 29, 201311:48 pm
    by Georgio

The Pistons will NOT draft Trey Burke, he has heart and he’s clutch but other than that he’s pretty average and the Pistons have enough average players. If they get a top 5 pick they need to get someone with elite athleticism, Drummond is the only elite athlete on the team and you can see what a difference that makes.

• Mar 29, 201311:58 pm
      by robert bayer

Total agreement .. Burke is not a top 10 pick though he is a top hero for the state of Michigan at the moment ..

• Mar 30, 201312:01 am
    by Mark

I like Burke too, but I just think the last thing we need is another rookie PG.

I don’t think Calderon is the answer either anymore, but if we were to go with another rookie, you can guarantee another lotto season before next year even begins.

This team is supposed to be getting older and more experienced by now at key positions, not younger.

Plus, I’m not even sure Burke is a PG, and at 6-0 he’s got no chance at any other position. He’s looked great in the tournament, but so did Knight in 2010. I’d hate to make the same mistake twice.

• Mar 30, 201312:24 am
      by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Burke definitely has more potential than Knight. Burke is getting compared by many to CP3 and at best I think Knight was compared to Jason Terry. Why pass on Burke when we could have a PG to build around for years? Yes Calderon is not the answer and I think Knight is suited best coming off the bench so who does that leave us? Billups? A guy who can’t stay on the floor anymore (out for the season…again) Portland took a chance with Lillard and he’s a lock for rookie of the year and I think Burke has more potential than him. Height doesn’t make the player, heart does. Thomas (Kings) CP3 (Clippers) Ty (Nuggets) don’t let height intimidate them they go out there and ball, and I can safely put Burke in their category (outside of CP3 for now)

• Mar 30, 201312:51 am
        by rick

Thanx for your insight man. Those other cats were just killing me hating on Burke and his game, but then again with this being a Piston fan site I can only imagine how many are Butt hurt Spartan Fans. Kid has game, and anybody compared to Chris Paul I want them. I have heard the comparisons as well. That is also why Chris Paul picked UM as his Final Four Champion. The haters gonna hate.

• Mar 30, 20132:15 am
        by Ron

Jason Terry was not Brandon Knight’s best case comparison when he was coming out. Regardless of your opinion of him now, at the time of the draft Knight was seen as a high potential prospect with good physical tools a good jumpshot but had problems running a team. Many people thought that with time he’d acquire a better command for the position as he gained experience. Up until now that hasn’t been the case, but thats neither here nor there

The point I’m trying to make is that you shouldn’t sell Knight short as a prospect because you love Burke, and likewise you need to overcome your bias and view Burke objectively. What makes you think Trey has so much potential? He’s undersized, a mediocre/bad defender and he has average athleticism. Usually smaller guards make up for their lack of size with elite speed and quickness, Trey has neither. What makes you so sure he’ll be able to get the same looks in the NBA as he does now? Think about it, he may be good but theirs a reason mocks are hesitant to put him in the top 5

• Mar 30, 20136:29 am
          by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Burke can run a team and Knight can’t. Even in college Knight only averaged 4 assist so he was never a good passer. The best comparison I saw for knight was Terry but if you can find a better player he was compared to, please by all means show me. Burke is clutch, has good vision and clearly shows he Dan win games when it matters most. He’s only in his second year. You know what’s so great about “prospects” is that hey have something called a CEILING and I’m very sure Burke has not reached his yet. I’m not own grading Knight as a scrub or anything the kid had heart too, but I haven’t seen anything that suggest he’ll become a better passer than even Burke who isn’t in the league yet. I think you’re selling Burke short (no pun intended) and after last nights performance watch his stock sore (he’s already number 9 on ESPN’s Chad Ford’s board and he even tweeted his stock is soaring. Again best case scenario I saw if Knight was Terry which could be great or us! Once we get rid of Stuckey Knight can be our six man and be instant offense and get a feel for the game and watch how the other team is playing the first few minutes instead of Knight running around commuting turnovers looking like a chicken with its head cut off

• Mar 30, 20137:06 am
            by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Way too many errors as far as grammar goes…hate this stupid iPad just fill in the blanks and figure out what I meant in this paragraph lol that *had heart should be *has heart for one…

• Mar 30, 201310:57 am
            by Ron

What makes a player have a high ceiling is that either they have great size for their position, great athleticism, and/or natural talent but underdeveloped aspects of their game. Trey has none of these things. How much better can he actually get? I’m not a Burke hater btw I’m just ereing on the side of caution when it comes to drafting him fir the pistons considering the message that would send to Brandon and also considering that Jose is pretty competent at the mmoment. For me to be on board with getting ANOTHER point guard and passing on players that fill a position of need, idk Trey needs to wow the hell out of me to seriously consider it. The good news is he’s half way to doing it after last nite’s game.

• Mar 30, 20136:41 am
          by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Oh and again with his height, I forgot to mention Tony Parker and Rondo for being just 6 feet…both are all stars Lilongwe with CP3 last I checked, so lets try not using height as a clear liability. Ty isn’t an all star now but he’s definitely a rising one and IT3 has shown at times (still getting it together he’s only in his second year) that he can run a team.

• Mar 30, 20137:02 am
          by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Burke moved up to number seven on Chad’s board…only a matter of time before people wake up and see that Burke is a top 5 prospect. Burke played like he’s the best college player all year and he’ll likely take that honor when it’s all said and done.

• Mar 30, 20138:35 am
          by robert bayer

Well stated!  I think we all like Burke … but  .. is he a top 10 draft pick? I would say not ..  Not big enough .. not fast eough .. We have blown enough picks on homestate players .. Where did that ever get  us?

• Mar 30, 20132:56 pm
            by oats

I think he’s a top 10 pick. The size and speed concerns seem to be largely overblown in my opinion. He’s not Ty Lawson fast, but he isn’t some slow dude either. He’s got the required quickness to play in the NBA. All the size concerns ignore the fact that he’s actually a really good basketball player. He’s shown an ability to play well against bigger players and there are plenty of short players that also happen to be quite good.

The home state thing is pretty dumb. The Pistons have missed on some, but they’ve missed on players from elsewhere too. There is nothing that suggests that players from Michigan under perform. Even if there was some actual historical basis for that, it doesn’t change the fact that Burke isn’t Mateen Cleaves. He is in fact Trey Burke. Where he’s from shouldn’t factor in to it, judge him on his body of work and his physical abilities.

• Mar 30, 20131:11 am
    by vic

Burke Is The Real Deal Ive Been Saying It For Months… Only Person I’d Take Over Burke Is Porter,MaybE Mclemore. ThE  Pistons Need A Wing More Than Anything.

• Mar 30, 20131:21 am
    by Mark

I’m not hating on Burke. I said I like him. I’m not a UM or MSU fan. I’m just leery of going through those growing pains with another young PG. We did it for 3 yrs with Stuckey, then 2 yrs with Knight. Are we really going to spend 2 more year banking on another young PG to develop?

Thats not even a diss on Burke, its just the fact that PG is a very hard position to learn and teams with rookie PGs don’t succeed in the NBA. Especially when the rest of the team is young too.

So he may have a bright future (I don’t see the Paul comparison, more like a smaller Irving if anything), but I just don’t know if its right for this team. We need to start winning.

What I would if I were drafting Burke, is  make sure Calderon is resigning. Then you have your veteran just in case Burke isn’t ready. And he could learn off the bench behind Calderon for a year or two.

Knight is clearly not a PG, and we do need to find a longterm answer. In this draft with so few talents, drafting a PG project wouldn’t be such a bad thing. But we’d have to go all out in FA to get talent to fill the starting SG/SF spots instead of getting it through the draft.

Knight is not a starting SG either.

• Mar 30, 20131:24 am
      by Mark

I really don’t know what is going to become of Knight next year. I think his best bet is as a combo guard off the bench for 20 min/gm.

If we draft Burke to come off the bench behind JC though, and sign an upgrade at SG in FA like Tyrke Evans perhaps, then where does Knight play?

Maybe we bring Burke/Knight off the bench next year?

But if we started Calderon and Evans that wouldn’t be many minutes to go around for 4 guards.

• Mar 30, 201312:22 pm
      by oats

The growing pains with Knight and Stuckey were because they didn’t know how to run an offense. There are a lot of point guards that have come in to the league and been ready to play. There are also tons of guys in every position that take awhile to develop. There is very little evidence to suggest point guard takes any longer to learn than any other position. Fans keep saying this, it isn’t true.

• Mar 30, 20132:35 pm
        by Mark

Forget what fans say, ask any coach or GM and they will say the same thing.

Its the QB positin in basketball. You put a rookie at the position with the most responsibility on the team, and its going to be hard to succeed.

Name me the last rookie PG that led a young team to the playoffs his 1st year?

We need to make the playoffs next year. Like I said, I have no problems drafting him, as long as he’s not starting next year. He’d be a great scorer off the bench for a year, taking Bynum and Stuckeys role , while letting a vet like Calderon lead the team.

• Mar 30, 20133:07 pm
          by oats

No, they won’t say that. There are probably some that will trot out that old cliche about point guard being the most difficult, but that doesn’t make it true. There is a ton of evidence that point guards can come in and make an impact immediately, and there is no evidence they take longer to get to that point than any other position. It doesn’t exist. Most GMs are well aware of this fact.

The problem with rookie point guards is that the good ones tend to be drafted to bad teams. Shocking, I know. The Pistons have had their rebuild going for a few years now, so they already have some pieces to help get them good. Plus, they happen to have a ton of cap space coming up. How many good young point guards have joined up with a front court like Detroit has? Not many. And of those, how many also had the ability to shore up the rest of the team as quickly as Detroit has a chance of doing this off season? Assuming they don’t blow it, there is no good reason they couldn’t be competitive with a rookie point guard.

• Mar 30, 20133:10 pm
            by Ron

Dammit oats you were first…

• Mar 30, 20135:25 pm
            by Blocks by Dre (Burke for the win!!)

Oats, you’re words of wisdom are appreciated
            <<<<<
            by this guy

• Mar 30, 20133:08 pm
          by Ron

Its not necessarily a matter of the young point guards not being ready to lead a team to the playoffs their rookie season, its just that the teams they’re drafted to are complete garbage and need to adress other positions and make changes before they can compete. I belie e Derrick Rose did it his rookie year but that’s also taking into account that Chicago was projected to get the ninth pick but wound up winning the lottery. If Chicago actually had the worst record and drafted Rose but couldn’t make the playoffs could you have really said that he wasn’t ready? Or would you rightfully blame the lack if talent?

• Mar 30, 20131:21 am
    by Delray313

Man i feel bad for singler he has to guard the best players in the league like Lbj Melo Gay Durant. He is better off the bench and get a more athletic defender who can at least slow guys down unless singler is going to out score his matchup. Stuckey and Max man i have no words. Frank still cant coach and his rotations were all off.

• Mar 30, 20131:27 am
    by jacob

DRAFT BURKE!!!

• Mar 30, 20133:13 am
    by Brandon Knight

Andre Drummond should have got an “A”.  C’mon 17 points on 80 percent shooting, 4 rebounds 2 steals and 2 blocks in just 19 minutes…What else do you want him to do in 19 minutes to get an A !???

• Mar 30, 201311:01 am
      by Ron

Umm playing better defense is a start. We can’t give up as many points as we score can we?

• Mar 31, 20133:47 pm
        by Lake Side Live

Come on man guy’s back from 22 games and played 10 less minutes than johnson and valcunias shouldn’t you be pissed at Monroe, Maxiell and Jerebko?  Who all played more minutes than Drummond.  Or our guards who were a comined 6-21?

• Mar 30, 20133:39 am
    by Jay

I really hope we don’t draft Shabazz.. he seems like another Ben Gordon. I REALLY do like McLemore though. And I really don’t wanna give up on Knight just yet. I feel if we take McLemore that’d help Knight’s game as well since he’s surrounded by players playing their actual position with athleticism. Imagine how fun a line up of Knight, McLemore, Singler, Monroe, and Drummond would be. It’d be like the old OKC team right as they were “growing up”. A team that’s exciting, passionate, and getting better. Hopefully we get someone good through free agency too though to cover up for the small forward weakness. Singer just isn’t good enough to start on a winning team. Good back up though.

• Mar 30, 20138:36 am
    by robert bayer

I still want Frank fired so that our players can develop … Bring Burke in under Frank? You’ll be saying how bad a pick it was by the end of the season ..

• Mar 30, 201311:04 am
    by Ron

So are you saying Frank is holding Knight back too?

• Mar 30, 20136:37 pm
      by Clint in Flint

His coaching is holding the team back.

• Mar 30, 201311:51 am
    by Visions

Coach Coach Coach…….. coaching coaching coaching……. When will you guys see what is really happening!!!!

• Mar 30, 201312:00 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Its the system…. we need burke …we need a aggressive Swing

• Mar 30, 20131:00 pm
    by Keith

On the game: this team is a wreck and seems to have already packed it in for the season. We aren’t very talented to begin with, but we simply don’t play hard on defense. That’s been mostly true all year even, and it speaks directly to coaching. Our guards don’t know where to be, our big men are physically overmatched (outside of Drummond), and overall our guys just give up a lot. If a team is this lacksadaisical on defense consistently, it’s a coaching problem. Personnel still factors in, but not alone.

On the draft: Burke will end up a good PG, but probably not elite. His size alone is not the problem, his main problem is mediocre athleticism by NBA standards. He’s more like Stephen Curry athletically than Tony Park or Rajon Rondo. All other players his size, who are now quality starters, have significant athletic advantages over Burke. Burke’s best case would be a better passing, worse shooting version of Stephen Curry. That’s fine, and I think it certainly could help the Pistons, but I don’t think he’s the best option available to the Pistons.

I would rather have Victor Oladipo. Burke is surely a better ball-handler, but Oladipo is actually a superior shooter. On top of that, Oladipo is good-sized for his position (SG), and has incredible defensive potential. Burke may end up the superior offensive player overall, but we need defenders in a big way. Oladipo coud be Tony Allen or Andre Iguodola on defense, and still rain threes on offense. That’s an incredibly potent combination. He can handle the ball, but he shouldn’t run the point. Ideally, we should be pounding teams inside with Monroe-Drummond, and Oladipo should lockdown the perimeter and take kick-out threes from Monroe or as an outlet from Drummond pick and rolls. Instead of trying to fit a player from a weak draft into too big a role, I’d rather have a role player that I know can be amazing in the role we have.

• Mar 30, 20133:33 pm
      by oats

I think I prefer Oladipo to Burke, but he isn’t a better shooter. At least, it’s hard to make that kind of statement. Last year Oladipo Shot under 21% on 3s. Either his 3 point shooting jumped by more than 20%, or maybe his numbers aren’t quite as definitive as that. Oladipo’s taken only 68 3 point attempts this season. That isn’t a great sample size. He takes so few largely because he doesn’t take many shots that aren’t wide open. It just isn’t possible to take a lot of shots in the NBA that are that open. Over his 3 years he’s hit only 34% of his 3s, and while it’s true that his last year is the most reliable predictor of his future success, I suspect that indicates he might not live up to 44% mark this year. In fact, it’s pretty easy for college players to have inflated 3 point percentages. Hulls shoots 44% and Watford shoots 48%, and both of them take a lot more shots than Oladipo. I suspect Oladipo is benefiting from defenses keying on Zeller and the superior 3 point shooters, and as a result he gets left open more than he should.

Don’t get me wrong, hitting open shots is a useful skill. I just expect Oladipo to be closer to an average shooter at the next level. I suspect that if Oladipo took as many 3s as Burke does he’d have a worse average, so I feel like like Burke’s the safer bet to be a good shooter in the NBA. I like Oladipo over Burke still, but that’s because I love his defense.

• Mar 30, 20131:49 pm
    by piston moribund

Burke is very undersized.  Just look at the Kansas game and you can see the problems he will be having.  The college game is a completely different animal then before because of these one and done so just because a player dominates in college, like so many do, that game doesnt always translate into the pros.
    Burke may have the vision to be a PG but he is a really streaky shooter as evidenced by a scoreless first half against KU and then getting hot in the second.  He is also too slow to get by people, even in college.  What does that mean when the competition will be faster, stronger, and bigger in the pros.  Lawson is small, but he is much quicker the Burke.  He had a lot of trouble against the bigger inside line as UM always does.  But all he could do was to shoot from the outside.  You cannot count on those shots falling all the time and they certainly wont be most of the time.  He is not quick or crafty enough to get around the big men even in college, never mind the pros.
    His game might play well in college, but it definitely wont in the pros, like so many college player of the year.
    The best prospect from UM this year is Little Dog.  Although he is not quite assertive enough or strong enough yet but he has a really nice stroke and passes the eye test in terms of size, quickness, and athletic ability.  A little bit of a project but whomever drafts him will get a good NBA player. not a great college player.
    I would rather have Oladipo because of his defense.  If the pistons are going to retain Bullwinkle, they are going to have to surround him with as many athletic defensive minded player as possible to make up for his complete lack of defense and athleticism.

• Mar 30, 20133:02 pm
      by Jon

“his game might play well in college, but it definitely won’t in the pros”. hahaha you’ve got to be kidding to say he “definitely” won’t do well in the pros. there is a chance that he won’t be productive in the pros, the same as there is a chance any player won’t produce in the pros but there is a far greater chance that he will produce at at least the league average for point guards given his good not great shooting, excellent handle, vision, and understanding of the game.

i’m not trying to say the pistons should draft him for sure but should they get unlucky and are drafting in the 8-10 range, burke would be a solid pick and it would set us up to have the essentially the same team as this year which would mean a chance to get an elite player early in next years draft

• Mar 30, 20135:22 pm
        by piston moribund

Great logic, lets draft someone in the lottery who will have absolutely no impact on the teams progress.  Burke is going to be the next Ed Obannon.

• Mar 30, 20139:17 pm
          by Jon

not all progress has to be immediate. playing behind calderon would make his impact negligible bc he wouldn’t play much. down the road he would have potential to be a top 10 pg. let’s be honest, outside of mclemore and maybe porter no one is going to have a huge impact on this team next season. there’s some talent in the draft that can be nurtured for the future but very little that will make an immediate impact

• Mar 30, 20131:55 pm
    by Riz

I love Burke but where was he the whole game… Ya he was great at the end. Not a better pg prospect than Marcus smart. Smart fills up the stat sheet every time he steps on the court.

• Mar 30, 20132:38 pm
      by Mark

Smart can’t shoot and he’s not a great playmaker. What does he do offensively?

He’s a great defender, but PG is an offensive position.

He reminds me of Lindsey Hunter.

• Mar 30, 20133:21 pm
        by Ron

I wouldnt say that he can’t shoot, his numbers were below average but he has a good looking stroke which leads me to believe tha his shooting will improve. He’s not a great playmaker right now but he has good pg instincts and that combined with decent assist numbers makes me think he’ll develop that part of his game as well. He has a huge frame at 6’4 200 pounds and he can drive through contact as well as post up smaller guards with great effectiveness. He has a winners mentality and is touted as a good leader. Combine all of these attributes and you have a top 5 prospect

• Mar 30, 20133:41 pm
          by oats

Decent assist numbers? Wait, when did that happen. 4.2 assists and 3.4 turnovers is not decent assist numbers. It’s downright awful. Also, calling 40% from the floor and 29% from 3 below average is way underselling things. Those numbers are really bad. He also doesn’t hit many of his shots at the rim, but he does draw some fouls. Still, when people say drive through contact they tend to be implying he can finish through contact. Smart doesn’t. He’s got Knight’s passing numbers and Stuckey’s shooting ability. He’s big, he’s athletic, and he is a really good defender. I get why he’s an NBA player, and I get why teams are interested in him. What I don’t get is why he is a point guard. If any team should be aware of how hard it is to get a player to add the point guard skill set on someone who it doesn’t come naturally too, it’s Detroit. He’s Brandon Knight with better defense and worse shooting, and the Pistons don’t need another failed point guard that has to play shooting guard.

• Mar 30, 20135:01 pm
    by G

Burke’s helping his draft stock, Oladipo & McLemore’s stayed pretty much the same, Porter & Shabazz hurt theirs a little. Burke looks all-world right now, I think he goes in the top 10.

The Pistons just need talent. Didn’t watch much of the game, but what I did see looked like some of the sloppiest D ever. Monroe kept reverting to his C responsibilities while Drummond was in, crowding the paint a little bit. We’ve been saying it all year, Monroe needs to develop an elbow jumper.

• Mar 30, 20137:49 pm
      by oats

I have to admit Michael Carter-Williams is helping his draft stock too. I wasn’t convinced he belonged in the lottery, now he’s starting to look like he belongs there. I’m still not all that high on him, but he looks much better now than he did earlier in the year.

• Mar 30, 20137:16 pm
    by Nick

If detroit cant get Mclemore I wouldn’t mind getting Shabazz but only if he is our sg. His season at Ucla kind of remind me of Drummonds season at Uconn were you see flashes of what he can do but just wasn’t consistent. Shabazz has a more Nba ready game scoring wise and he just didn’t fit ucla system. If you really think about it Larry Drew was Shabazz and Harrison Barnes pg. Barnes was some straight up garbage until they got rid of Drew and let Marshall take over.

• Mar 30, 20138:05 pm
      by oats

Now I’m defending Larry Drew? Weird. Drew isn’t the same player he was at UNC. He’s averaging 7.3 assists and 2.5 turnovers. He’s not a stud player, but those are some really good passing numbers. It’s hard to expect more than that from a college point guard.

Shabazz is the focal point of the UCLA offense. His rep in high school was that he was a good slasher, had a nice post up game, and he was a poor shooter. UCLA used him both as a slasher and as a post player, and they managed to get him shooting the 3 ok. Not only do I not get the idea that he has some hidden talents UCLA just wasn’t using, I think they got him to outplay his talents a little bit by making some 3s early in the season. The closest thing I can come up with to a complaint on how he has been used is if you feel he wasn’t working as a slasher enough. The problem is he did that enough to show that it isn’t an elite skill for him. He’s good at it, don’t get me wrong, but he isn’t a dominant slashing guard. He isn’t like Drummond where his team mates couldn’t figure out how to use him, Shabazz gets the ball a ton. He’s a high volume shooter, but not a particularly accurate one.

• Mar 31, 201312:58 am
    by gmehl

Has anyone else read this yet? He might be an option but once again if he opts out then it is for money and i am not sure if he is worth a huge pay day.

• Mar 31, 20139:15 am
    by george lento

The only real question relevant to Frank”s responsibilities, is not the talent (or lack of it) on the floor, but
    is that team playing as good as it can, given the youth,etc. In that area, Frank deserves an “F”.
    Playing with no urgency is all on the coaching staff. saying you wont blame frank for that, is askiong for another dismal year. he has lost the team and getting them back is not going to happen. Frank is ready for the broadcasting booth…

• Mar 31, 20131:03 pm
      by G

I’m not sure Frank has “lost the team”. They try hard in spurts, but lose focus a lot. The Pistons are playing out the string right now, there’s not much to play for except getting some reps in & getting a look at the younger players. Frank’s not a good coach, but he probably comes back next year.

• Mar 31, 20133:59 pm
    by pokerpro932

Guys, I just had this idea, tell me what you think about it. If we get lucky in the draft and get Oladipo,we should sign Iggy.My oppinion is that we slide BK to the pg,let him struggle it out until he learns,start Oladipo right away at the 2 , Iggy at the 3 with Singler as a back up and also sign someone , who can score of the bench in the frontcourt (ala J.J. Hickson,if he is not too expensive).

• Mar 31, 20136:24 pm
      by gmehl

I assume you realize that we can only sign Iguodala IF he decides to opt out. The reports are that he is LIKELY to opt out which he hasn’t yet. As for your proposal I think it would be great going with a team starting C-Drummond PF-Monroe SF-Iguodala SG-Oladipo PG-Knight. Then throw in Hickson, Brewer, English, Singler, Jerebko, Middleton, Bynum (resign) and i think we’d be on our way back to the playoffs no doubt. Looking at that line up i think we are lacking 3pt shooting but geez we wouldn’t have to worry about hiding Monroe on defence any more. We probably need a Mike Miller type to come in and spread the floor but maybe we can find someone similar in the 2nd round as we will have 2 picks if the Clippers keep on winning.