Andre Drummond ‘not coming back anytime soon’

Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

Pistons coach Lawrence Frank was initially optimistic before Monday’s game against the Nets in terms of how Drummond would be evaluated, leading some to believe Drummond was on the way back.

But after Wednesday’s practice he cleared the air, closing the door on such sentiments.

"There’s no update, it’s gonna be slow," Frank said. "He’s not coming back anytime soon. He’s made progress. You gotta think, the doctors restricted us from doing anything. Just from a conditioning standpoint, it’s gonna take time."

As difficult as watching this team without Andre Drummond can be, the Pistons are wisely showing patience. Plus, sitting Drummond comes with the bonus of increased lottery odds.

There is no good reason to rush Drummond back, and the Pistons know that.

• Mar 21, 20139:48 am
    by Corey

Keep him on the bench! They’re now tied for 4th worst record (with 2 other teams) and Cleveland is just one win worse currently.  A few more losses could give us the 3rd worst record, and guarantee a player in the Marcus Smart/Ben McLemore/Otto Porter/Victor Oladipo range. Just a couple wins could push us all the way back out to the 8th pick.

One all star quality perimeter player to go with Drummond and Monroe and we’ve got a strong core for the next decade.

• Mar 21, 201310:14 am
    by DasMark

Wow, some wise decision making from the Pistons brass, nice to see.

The worst possible thing they could do is put him back prematurely and have him re-aggravate that injury.

• Mar 21, 201311:37 am
    by Blocks by Dre

Good! As much as I need Drummond or my fantasy team, I rather him wait until he’s healthy…that and I want us to keep losing! Pistons going 0 for March!

• Mar 21, 201312:36 pm
    by Lake Side Live

Gonna play devil’s advocate, But I feel Drummond should be back by next week.  Why you may ask?  Because I have tickets to two games next week and I wanted to see some fun monstrous dunks by our future!  I hope that’s not too selfish :)

• Mar 21, 20131:07 pm
      by G

Agree. I’m going to an April game, want something to watch.

• Mar 21, 201312:44 pm
    by Domnick

The problem is…. We dont know f tandem monroe and drummond will work … We need to find out before the season ends… Not next season…. Coz that year is playoff time