All that Jazz…

Essentials

• Teams: Detroit Pistons (23-42) at Utah Jazz (32-31)
  • Date: March 11, 2013
  • Time: 9:00 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

The Pistons have lost five straight games and are in desperate need of a win. During this recent stretch of losses, Detroit has fallen three times on the road and twice at home.

And if that wasn’t already cause for concern, this is: their next five games are all against playoff hopefuls. The Pistons’ four-game Western Conference road trip started last night with a 32-point loss at Staples Center where the L.A.P.D. are still trying to determine whether to charge DeAndre Jordan with a misdemeanor or felony after attacking Brandon Knight’s manhood with a violent dunk.

Lawrence Frank’s group will have to be prepared for a tough turnaround entering tonight’s game in Utah.

Knight and his teammates will be playing the back end of a back-to-back set. After playing one of the most athletic and explosive frontlines in the NBA last night, the Pistons will be playing a Jazz team whose starting frontcourt is equivalent to UPS Ground in comparison to the Clippers’.

Tyrone Corbin’s unit is methodical and likes to run the offense through its big people. Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap will spend most of their time attacking from either the low block or the high post.

This presents a difficult matchup for the road team given that their interior defense has struggled for most of the season.

On the other side of the coin though, tonight’s hosts will be playing their first home game since returning from a four-game eastern road trip that turned into a disaster.

The Jazz lost all four games.

They were defeated in three close heartbreakers and routed in the last contest by 29 points at Madison Square Garden by the New York Knicks.

The losses themselves were deflating for the team and its fans, but it also knocked them out of the eighth spot in the Western Conference standings.

The Los Angeles Lakers now have the inside track on the Jazz and might finish the season by making the playoffs at the expense of Utah.

The Hollinger Playoff Odds predict that Corbin’s team will miss the playoffs by a mere two games. Jefferson and company obviously still have a chance at making the postseason, but that requires them to win games like the one tonight against the Pistons.

Read about the Jazz

Salt City Hoops.

• Mar 11, 20137:55 pm
    by AJ

• Mar 11, 20139:43 pm

It’s not so much about getting one more lottery pick as it is about getting some stars on the team. Lottery picks are the easiest ways to get those, but even they are far from sure things. But since the season is lost, might as well root to lose so that Detroit can pick higher where the odds of getting a star are much better.

The thing is that I have no desire to see the Pistons become a team that can perpetually make the playoffs and try to scrape into a top 4 seed. Better to cycle through sucking and contending than to be decent.

That’s why it is key this summer to pick a star up in the draft and sign another in free agency. Sure, at that point, trade around for better fitting pieces. But this roster is still well short of having enough talent to contend. Monroe+Drummond+draft pick+free agent at least has the potential to be enough talent.

• Mar 11, 201310:14 pm
        by Reaction

I think lottery picks are the easiest way to get stars or at least decent players. For example, say this year we draft Shabazz and next year we get a top 4 pick. That could = us having Knight Bazz (Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Noah) Monroe and Drummond. That would be one hell of a lineup in my book. However, unproven I feel that a lineup like that would do levels better than what we have out on the court now and could make our team into a potential contender or at the very least playoff bound.

• Mar 11, 201310:20 pm

That’s certainly true. But it will take a pretty disappointing next season for the Pistons to keep their pick

• Mar 11, 20137:55 pm
    by AJ

I know a lot of you might have different views on what I say but just hear me out and I’ll hear you out, no need to call names or anything, I just wanted to put my opinion out here and hear you guys. Now that that’s out the way, I hear/read people saying that the Pistons should tank this season and get one more lottery pick. I get that they have nothing to play for now but this seems to be the same M.O. every year. We have hopes then the pistons start doing bad and we go into this notion of “just one more pick.” I say that is complete crap. We have talent on this team. 3 lottery picks and a pretty well rounded supporting cast. Is it a championship team? No but we do have the talent right now to be a playoff team. I just think that this team is not meshing well and I think it’s time for Dumars to stop talking about cornerstones and start talking about building around a center piece. Drummond has the highest ceiling of everyone on our team even over Monroe imo. Dumars should explore for trades and surround Drummond with players that fit in with him. You can have all the talent you want on your team but they need chemistry and they need to have skills that opens things up for your teammates. Talent is not the only thing that makes a good team. The Lakers has 2 of the top 10 players, one of the best PG’s ever and a pretty above average PF and they still started off rough. Talent doesn’t instantly make you good. Look at Miami and you notice that they have both talent and a team that fits well with each other. Chris Bosh has a killer mid range and a shaky 3 ball and the other Miami role players are great long range shooters which opens the floor for Wade and Bron and its basically a pick your poison type of game. Do you let the 2 best players on the team drive or do you prevent the 3 ball? That’s what we need. Drummond is a beast on lobs so why not surround him with better shooters and let the defense choose to deny the lob or deny the long range 3. Trade Monroe for a more complete PF that can clear the paint for Dre, trade BK for a more consistent scorer, trade Singler and Jerebko for more complete SF’s who can shoot and drive. Why do you think the bench was doing so good during that stretch with Drummond? You had a driving PG and SG in Bynum and Stuckey followed by shooters in Daye and CV and Drummond always found himself in a good position for a lob or offensive rebound. I’m done with my little rant wonder what you guys think and please no complete negative comments. We all are pistons fans at the end of the day so whats the point of arguing with each other.

• Mar 11, 20139:26 pm
      by Blocks by Dre

I like it. Knight and Monroe’s ceiling is still rather high and I also think Drummond has the best potential out of anyone on the roster so why not see what we can do to help accommodate our future centerpiece? I would rather not trade Knight cause I think he could be a great 6 man, but he shouldn’t be seen as untouchable. People know how I feel about Monroe already (overrated) so I say trade him now before his defense really gets exposed and his value slightly drops.

• Mar 11, 201310:29 pm
        by gmehl

“I say trade him now before his defense really gets exposed and his value slightly drops”

Too late cause he was exposed last night…exposed all over Knight’s forehead that is!

• Mar 11, 201310:44 pm
          by AJ

HAHAHAHA!!! I can’t take it anymore!!! lol

• Mar 11, 20139:12 pm
    by Blocks by Dre

I’m actually hoping we win this one! If Pistons can get the win then Lakers are a game ahead of the Jazz and I’m a Lakers fan…well more of a Kobe fan than anything as he’s my favorite player. Still, Pistons are my favorite team but it’s kind of a lost season so we need as high of a draft pick as possible, so lose away after today guys!

• Mar 11, 20139:14 pm
      by Blocks by Dre

Wait I take that back…I want us to draft unless so unless we get a top 3 pick I’m cool with drafting between 7-9 and taking Burke, who should still be there for the taking.

• Mar 11, 20139:46 pm

Burke will probably be a decent player, but do you really think he has what ti takes to be a star in the NBA? I don’t. And that’s what the Pistons need. Decent players are for filling out the roster once you have enough stars. And the Pistons don’t yet.

• Mar 11, 201310:01 pm
          by Worm

He goes to Michigan, that’s what he sees in him.

• Mar 11, 201310:09 pm
            by Blocks by Dre

Kentucky is my favorite college so going to Michigan has nothing to do with it…but you know me pretty well where you can make that fair assumption right? Oh wait…

• Mar 11, 201310:06 pm
          by Blocks by Dre

Do I think Trey Burke can be a star in this league? Yeah, I do. I think he displays great leadership, has a nice jump shot and can attack the basket. He’s only 6 feet so that’s something against him, but I think Burke has the potential to be a CP3 like player. If we do get Burke (assuming we don’t resign Jose and Burke starts) we would need a SG that is a good defender and doesn’t give up size which is why I like Knight in that 6 man role. If we get a top 3 pick then we should go after Ben Mclemore but outside of hat happening I really like Burke for our team as the future at PG.

• Mar 11, 201310:31 pm

I couldn’t care less about “leadership”. That’s just a function of his being his team’s best player. And I don’t see Burke having CP3′s ability to seemingly slow down the game all around him and constantly be three steps ahead of the competition (Paul is the NBA’s Wayne Gretzky; he is almost always matched up against guys who are bigger, stronger, faster, and more explosive, but somehow he almost magically makes that not matter by seeing everything coming).

On the plus side, Burke does seem to share the apparent incapacity to make mistakes on offense. But he doesn’t share the preternatural instincts for when to and not to gamble for steals. Nor the ability to always stay in front of his guy in spite of physical disadvantages.

Paul really blossomed in the pros, and Burke could do the same, but I just don’t see him as likely having as much upside as a bunch of other guys including Oladipo, Porter, Shabazz, Noel, and McLemore.

• Mar 11, 201310:30 pm
      by AJ

Haha yea I’m a Dwight fan… always have since his rookie season so it’s good to see him and the lakers finally winning again.

• Mar 11, 20139:55 pm
    by George

Not watching the game now, but just wondering, if you were JoeD, would you be open to trading Monroe for D.Favors/filler? Our front court athleticism would be fantastic with Favors/Drummond. I just think the more I see Monroe, the more I just can’t see him as a franchise cornerstone. Sure he is worth a near max deal, but I just don’t see him as a guy to build around as many of you seem to think as well. We are still a couple years from really being a force.

Favors seems to have the skills needed to play PF now, versus Monroe, who’s defensive limitations will only be magnified at the position.

• Mar 11, 201310:38 pm

Only if the filler was Kanter and Hayward, sure.

I don’t think Monroe will be a superstar. But he is a sure thing to be at least perennially in the all-star conversation, maybe perennially in the game. You don’t usually trade a sure thing for prospects.

• Mar 11, 201310:14 pm
    by Brandon Knight

Wow what happened to the Pistons?! I don’t hate Calderon but after trading for him the Pistons started sucking! Maybe because Andre isn’t there! When Brandon exited the game I stoped watching the game lol. The Pistons are really boring without him! Also I am starting to hate Monroe, he is not looking good at all! What do you guys think?

• Mar 11, 201310:33 pm
      by AJ

I’m trying to muscle through this game but I am definetly falling asleep while doing it haha. It still seems like they are having little effort and excitment out there. I still like Jose and I do believe that we will be better when he has a player like Drummod to pass it to. On the defensive end… I can’t even bring myself to talk much longer lol

• Mar 11, 201310:32 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

In years past when power forwards were more low post / defenders / rebounds  Monroe would be a OK fit at power forward but now days not so much.  Yes there are teams that play 2 bigs but usually one is a drop dead shooter for 15 or even a stretch 4 hitting 3s.  Once again the Pistons are still a very UNBALANCED team.  (it been years i been harping about it ).  One of our back court first 3 players has to have some SIZE and either the shooting guard or the starting small forward need to be athletic and able to get his own shot at will WITH All star potential. I don’t think that Monroe is a bad fit due to his passing ability but his midrange shooting is not up to snuff and a bit plodding movement wise.  SO Tom Gores / JD figure out what kind of team you need around a few players and build it. Well OK not sure JD is the guy for that to much out of step thinking and to much loyalty to not very good players.  But you get the idea  MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A BALANCED TEAM.   The best PF to team with Dru would have a drop dead 15 footer / good free throw shooter / solid position defender. Strong but be able to get up and down the court. Another PF on the roster needs to be able shoot the 3 ball. The line up should look like this. C Drummond  PF like above.  Killer SF that can get to rim and shoot. Tall good defending 2 guard that can shoot the 3 ( A. Affalo would have been nice start ) and a passing point guard that can shoot (J Caldaron is it on offense but a better defender also would be even greater )

• Mar 11, 201310:40 pm
      by AJ

That’s what I tried to get at above. I wish Greg would trust that mid range a bit more. As for our guards, Calderon seem to be the only one able to create his own shot effectively. Bynum, Stuckey and BK prefer to drive (which clogs the lane even more), Singler moves around well but he is definetly no Rip Hamilton when it comes down to being automatic from the mid range coming off of screens. Kim English is streaky and he just hasn’t shown the shooting that we need. Charlie is streaky, Jonas is streaky… It seems like our most reliable shooters right now is Khris Middleton and Jose.

This team is a total mess right now and these injuries makes it worse…

• Mar 11, 201310:39 pm
    by George

Man, I could see JoeD getting offered a deal that could take us over the top for Monroe, like a Love or Aldridge, but he loves all his draft picks a little too much.  Maybe Monroe is, at best, a 15 and 9 guy who is a liability on D.  I wish he would show some superstar attribute in at least one area.

• Mar 11, 201310:41 pm
      by AJ

I would love Aldridge. Is he the best defender? no but he is longer than Monroe which helps and he has a pretty good mid range which can free up space for Drummond to operate in the paint.

• Mar 11, 201311:05 pm
    by GET WELL SUSAN

Middleton had been a pleasent surprise

• Mar 11, 201311:07 pm
    by jinzzy

jose killing us on d jeez!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mar 11, 201311:14 pm