Will Bynum suspended one game for punching Tyler Hansbrough

The NBA has suspended Will Bynum one game for punching Tyler Hansbrough during the Pistons-Pacers game Saturday. Bynum, via Brendan Savage of MLive:

"It wasn’t (done) intentionally but it kind of happened through the course of the game," Bynum said in the empty Pistons locker room. "The game was kind of physical. It was during the heat of the moment.

"It was nothing intentional, though."

• Feb 24, 20138:42 pm
    by Anthony

For all the dirty plays he takes part of he can take a hit to the stomach from a pg wills size. I can’t stand that dude hansbrough. dirty player.

• Feb 24, 20139:06 pm
      by ryan

They should suspend Tyler Hansbrough for being a “bitch” (thank you Kyle Singler).

• Feb 24, 20139:10 pm
        by Ryank

Yeah, I could read his lips to…Something “BITCH!” a couple weeks ago…

• Feb 25, 201312:11 am
      by rueben

I agree but how can you punch someone in the gut unintentionally

• Feb 25, 20131:17 am

Being short doesn’t make someone worse at punching. And look at their bodies. I’d rather be hit by Hansbrough than by Bynum.

• Feb 25, 20137:58 am
        by Ryank

Believe me, you would rather be hit by a guy who weighs 180 than a guy who weighs 250  It’s not the height, it’s the weight behind it.  Bynum could probably swing with better punching form, but he could never make up 70 pounds of weight standing under it.

I’d rather not be punched by either one.

• Feb 25, 20138:06 am

I understand what you’re getting at. And typically, you’d be right. But a person can’t put all his weight behind a punch. I have boxed people both 5’2″, 160 lbs and 6’4″, 160 lbs. Trust me, it’s not the same thing at all.

I wasn’t even referring to form. I was referring to thickness/stockiness, or how much of the weight could be put into the punch.

That said, I agree, I’d rather not be punched at all. I was just responding to the comment that “he can take a hit to the stomach from a pg wills size”.

• Feb 24, 20139:06 pm
    by MNM

He out hustles others and we’d love him as a Piston.

• Feb 24, 20139:19 pm
      by ryan

I was thinking a bit about the Tyler Hansbrough-Bill Laimbeer comparison and it’s true we might love him as a Piston. The thing is Laimbeer could really play Hansbrough thrashes around and makes intense faces I think I’d still hate him.

• Feb 24, 20139:18 pm
    by Ryank

Well our chances just got better for the next game.

When I saw that I assumed there was some sort of dirty play that provoked it…Maybe not.  Hansbrough seems like a guy that is irritating to play against…Bill Laimbeer like.

• Feb 24, 201311:22 pm
      by duke

All you do is complain about Will Bynum, like he’s the only issue we have on the team. I will apologize for whatever he’s done to you, dang and you’re suppose to be a fan.

• Feb 25, 20138:16 am
        by Ryank

I accept your apologize.  It’ll be a surprise to me if Bynum is in the league next season…I doubt any team is going to sign him.  He couldn’t get an offer from another NBA team 3 years ago…yet Joe D still gave him $10 million for 3 years…insane.  He shouldn’t have been signed at all, and certainly not for more than the minimum.

He should be playing in China, Israel, or somewhere else that’s a double AA version to the NBA.  Those places he can dominate the basketball and have a chance to win games in his style.  Putting the ball in the hands of a guy like him at this level produces the type of results we’ve seen from the Pistons during his time here.

• Feb 25, 20139:59 am
          by duke

I am glad you did. A few facts for you, he had three other offers prior to signing back with the Pistons. They were from the Heat and Lakers, granted not as much money, and Celtics who he played for briefly. I agree he won’t be here next season, but he will be in the league playing for some winning team. Have you ever attended any of the practices? Has Will every complained about anything that you know of? Has he gotten us back into more games than out of? Do you even know about the 4in 1out or High Pick and roll offense the second team runs, the only two plays? Who else on the second unit can create their own shot? Who else besides him wants to actually play for the Pistons? I ask these questions because you seem not to know, or care. So now I ask you, attend a practice and see which of our players gives 100% and which dated back to when Will got here have been negative and still are. I ask you to research what options come from our two plays so you can better understand what happens on the court and why. Finally go down our roster, who plays with more heart and is more dedicated to this team? I am a Piston fan so I know the answers, what are you?

• Feb 25, 201311:37 am
            by MIKEYDE248

Agree with you completely.  I would say that he has been our best bench player for the past couple of years (which isn’t saying much). I’m not counting Drummond, because he should be starting.  Most of the time he was the lone scoring thread and still scores.  It wasn’t until he started playing with Drummond that other parts of his game started improving, because he finally had some help.

• Feb 25, 201312:03 pm
            by Ryank

Find me a link from anyone else other than his agent that says anything about him getting offers from other teams.  I clearly remember the situation…it was a long dragged out negotiation between Bynum and Dumars.  There were no other offers and Joe D went as far as saying that he would match other offers when he sees one…he didn’t see any.  http://rotovalue.com/cgi-bin/News?league=9&year=2011&player=1949&skip=80

I’m a Piston fan who knows Will Bynum is not an NBA level player.  Pay me $10 million and I’ll show up for every practice, out work everyone, and answer every questions beginning with Sir and ending with Sir.  If we’re giving contracts out to people with good work ethics who don’t cause problems, then we will continue to be one of the worst teams in the NBA.  Contracts need to go to guys who can help us win…not the Will Bynums of the world.

Bynum dominating the basketball is/has hurt(ing) this team badly.  He’s a sideshow, nothing more.  If they’re giving contracts out for guys who work hard, show up, and don’t cause problems, then Bynum is earning it.  But he’s not earning it based on his ability to help the Pistons.

• Feb 24, 20139:35 pm
    by gmehl

Will Bynum: ‘I tripped and his stomach ran into my fist’

• Feb 24, 201311:00 pm
    by Mark

I don’t condone violence, but at least someone on this team has a heartbeat.

• Feb 25, 20134:34 am
    by ZekeKhaseli

I can’t still get over the fact that the player that supposed to show his “grit and grim” is not in this picture somehow. Heck, he’s rarely foul out or pick up a T. Jason Maxiell is the coaches pet that losing his cred as a tough guy real fast in this club. Kudos to Will

• Feb 25, 20134:55 am
    by Lorenzo

ehhh no biggie for me…I’m a fan of 80′s style basketball; a little “rough and tumble” is ok with me. Hell if this was Hockey we would be praising the grit, keep at it Will, keep playing hard.

• Feb 25, 20139:36 am