Villanueva drills game-winner in Pistons victory in Milwaukee

Detroit Pistons 105 FinalRecap | Box Score 100 Milwaukee Bucks
Jason Maxiell, PF 32 MIN | 2-4 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 1 TO | 4 PTS | -3With Drummond being out, Maxiell has had to take on an even bigger role than before. Tonight, he didn’t adequately fill that role. His jumper was off, he wasn’t a threat on the boards and he racked up four personal fouls. Luckily, he didn’t take too many shots.
Greg Monroe, C 35 MIN | 6-12 FG | 2-3 FT | 13 REB | 4 AST | 4 STL | 0 BLK | 4 TO | 14 PTS | +12Monroe was a force tonight on the glass, but didn’t shoot too well. 6-12 for a normal player is alright, but he was 50% shooting in the paint, which is 6.5% under the league average.
Jose Calderon, PG 35 MIN | 10-13 FG | 0-0 FT | 5 REB | 10 AST | 3 STL | 0 BLK | 3 TO | 23 PTS | +15Calderon was probably the best Piston out there tonight. He was shooting really well and passing well, pretty much the two things he was brought here to do. The only thing preventing Calderon from getting an A+ is the three turnovers he had throughout the night.
Brandon Knight, PG 25 MIN | 2-13 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 3 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 4 PTS | 0If there was one word to describe Knight’s game tonight, it would be the word putrid. He went 2-13 from the floor, including a 1-9 in the paint (45.4% under the league average, if anyone was wondering). The only real upsides to his game tonight were the two turnovers he forced.
Kyle Singler, SG 29 MIN | 5-11 FG | 1-2 FT | 5 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 11 PTS | -3Singler played all right tonight, shooting a mediocre 45.5% from the field, grabbing five rebounds and just being a solid contributor overall.
Charlie Villanueva, PF 25 MIN | 7-13 FG | 0-0 FT | 13 REB | 1 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 3 TO | 18 PTS | +4Imagine if Charlie Villanueva always played like this. The Pistons might actually be contenders. Villanueva was sharp-shooting all night, going 57.1% from beyond the arc and eventually drilling a three to close out the game for Detroit.
Viacheslav Kravtsov, C 4 MIN | 0-0 FG | 0-2 FT | 1 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 0 PTS | -3Kravtsov didn’t play much tonight and didn’t get a chance to make a big impression. He grabbed a rebound, but got fouled and missed both free throws.
Will Bynum, PG 28 MIN | 4-8 FG | 4-4 FT | 2 REB | 3 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 12 PTS | 0Bynum shot 50% from the floor tonight and nailed all four of his free throws he shot. He did have two personal fouls and two turnovers, however. He was adequate tonight, just not the BYNUMITE we like to see.
Rodney Stuckey, PG 26 MIN | 5-9 FG | 8-8 FT | 3 REB | 2 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 3 TO | 19 PTS | +3Stuckey played a pretty good game tonight, most notably hitting all eight of his free throws. He got a fair amount of playing time, but did have three turnovers in those 26 minutes.
Lawrence FrankWith Tayshaun Prince getting traded and Andre Drummond getting hurt, people were excited to see the prospects of Jonas Jerebko and Viacheslav Kravtsov. Unfortunately, Frank has decided that he’s not going to give them playing time. Tonight, Kravtsov played four minutes and Jerebko didn’t play at all. There should be a change in that department.

• Feb 9, 201311:48 pm
    by sloppy joe

I told myself I would never let this happen, but I’m starting to like Charlie V a lot.

• Feb 10, 20132:36 am
      by Jodi Jezz

Get off the Charlie V bandwagon, we don’t need you…jk

• Feb 11, 20132:14 pm
      by MIKEYDE248

Everyone jumped on the CV bandwagon earlier in the year when him, Daye and Bynum were winning them games.  Usually only take a couple of days and he’ll be back in everyones dog house.

• Feb 9, 201311:50 pm
    by Trent

Anybody know who number 31 was playing for the pistons tonight?

• Feb 10, 20136:32 am
      by ryan

Not a damn clue. He must be a D-League call up or something.

• Feb 10, 201312:03 am
    by Jay

I gotta say, I don’ think there is anything Jerebko is gonna give us that we don’t already have. I feel like he’s very overrated. Definitely shouldn’t be in the team’s long term future. I’d rather have Middleton or English playing in his spot…but I don’t really mind if they don’t for now. I like the lineup frank has out right now.

• Feb 10, 201312:04 am
    by Mel

I’ll say this again. Give the keys to Calderon. He’s the reason we won. Pay him.

• Feb 10, 201312:04 am
    by CNA5

What has Jerebko done to EARN playing time?  For that matter, why aren’t we clamoring for Kim English and Khris Middleton?

I’m sorry.  Jonas was handed the backup 4 position to start the year and blew it with his inability to hit the open 3 without hesitation and his inability to be strong enough to guard 4s in the post.

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I don’t believe Jerebko has the perimeter ballhandling skills or the requisite quickness to play the 3 in this era.  20 years ago when they played more in the post, maybe.

I’m 90% sure that Frank came into this year believing he wasn’t going to get anything out of Charlie V and expecting Jonas to play 20 mpg or so off the bench.  Jonas hasn’t lived up to that expectation.

• Feb 10, 20131:00 pm
      by Worm

Just bein real here, fans love Jerebko because Jerebko is white and people like to see people of their own race succeed. It’s the only logical explanation, same reason people loved Walter Hermann, Brian Scalabrine, etc. Nothing inherently wrong with it, just how it works.

• Feb 10, 201312:24 am
    by Kamal

Jerebko is not a good NBA player. He’s too slow to play the 3 and not strong enough for the 4. He can’t defend either position to save his life. That Achilles injury took away his quickness. He’s a bum now. I would rather have Daye.

• Feb 10, 201312:40 am
      by Vince

Now now, lets not get hasty. I like to think of Jerebko as a rich-man’s Lou Amundson, he’s a hustle player who can energize an offense, play D, shoot (albeit terrible this season) and rebound.

There is a place for players like them in the League. 12-15 minutes a night would suffice imo, but I guess JJ just hasn’t given Frank reasons to play him, which, although I’m deeply disappointed by – I ultimately understand. If/When CV is dumped and Maxiell is traded/waived/disappears under mysterious circumstances, JJ will play (or so I hope), there are just too many players ahead of him that have proved themselves. He just needs to outplay them, and to be honest I know he can, he knows he can, he just needs to do it.

• Feb 10, 20135:45 am
      by justme

Daye was nothing but inconsistent crap for us. No way im taking him over JJ

• Feb 10, 201312:33 am
    by Vince

Maxiell was crap. Knight was crap. Everyone else played great, I could be fickle and complain about a few flaws in the game but why bother? Moose was reliable, Singler was serviceable, Villanueva, Stuckey and Bynum came up big and Calderon’s play tonight was stellar. Out of his three turnovers I’m pretty sure one of them was a pass Maxiell couldn’t catch because he was born without the ability to do so, I’m fairly certain his crappy hands are the reason Monroe has so many TOs as well. Great call by Frank to sit him for the rest of the game.

For all you people saying Bynum didn’t play well: Right, so you’d rather have the walking liability that is Knight play instead? Great argument. I’d love to destroy it if someone is crazy enough to bring it up. Again, great call by Frank to let him play crunch time.

Villanueva. Wow. Thats all I can say. I’d love him if his contract was about half its’ current size but I guess I’ll have to deal with liking him for now.

Stuckey played well, surprisingly. Everyone has, really. I’ll go ahead and pin that on Calderon and back up Mel. Give him the keys. The Pistons are his. Joe D better resign him – to a smaller contract of course.

NOW. My favorite segment of my comment: “Let the bench players play”. And in tonight’s section – for once – I will back up Frank. Sure it’ll be fun to see JJ, English, Slava, Middleton to see the court but I like what Frank said at halftime. If his starters don’t show up he’ll use the bench, and he did. If people are playing well, he’s not going to stop that. And he didn’t. Tonight he acted like a coach, he let the good, strong players play and benched the crappy ones.

Great game. We looked good out there, heck, we looked like a decent team.

• Feb 10, 201312:40 am
    by Brady Fredericksen

Jerebko isn’t really a bad player, he did average nine points (on 48% shooting) and six rebounds in pretty legit playing time over the previous two seasons. He hasn’t quite been as productive since his rookie year, but his role has also been shuffled since then.

• Feb 10, 201311:31 am
      by CNA5

How can you say ‘shuffled’ when he averaged 20 mpg off the bench for the first 14 games?  He got the opportunity and blew it trying to be the Swedish Superstar Small Forward when the Pistons really needed (and wanted) him to be their athletic stretch four.

• Feb 10, 201312:50 am
    by Mark

um, no, there shouldn’t be any change in the playing Jerebko and Slava department. They are both bad, bad basketball players. If Slava played more than 4 min tonight we probably lose this game. Had he played less than 4 min, we mightve won by 10 instead of 5. No need for either player in the present or future. Neither are anything special worth committing PT to developing

• Feb 10, 20131:29 am
    by Mone

Good game.. I rather push Middleton than Jonas..

• Feb 10, 20132:40 am
    by Jodi Jezz

Good win from my Pistons!..Calderon, Stuckey, Monroe, and my boy Charlie V went off tonight…I wish Knight would have played well to join the party…

• Feb 10, 20133:34 am
    by Domnick

trading chips = Stuckey, Jerebko.. but where?

• Feb 10, 20135:47 am
      by justme

Maybe JJ to Denver for Mozgov

• Feb 10, 20137:16 pm
      by Crispus

Wouldn’t Mozgov be redundant with Kravtsov?

• Feb 10, 20133:38 am
    by Pg

Who is this Villanueva guy and when did we sign him?

• Feb 10, 20134:20 am
    by Herman Neutic

Detroit playing for the second night in a row, wins on the road, against a playoff team, in a great game that goes down to the wire, and Frank gets a B- because he didn’t play JJ and Kravtsov? That’s a joke right?

• Feb 10, 20134:23 am
      by Vince

Agreed, I would’ve given Frank an A.

• Feb 10, 20135:55 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

I agree, give him an A….

But we could have been playing fast all year….

Caledron is shooting the ball way better than I expected….

But it goes back to what I said originally ..he really didnt like Knight at PG….he now has a guy who he likes and who he wants….

• Feb 10, 20134:50 am
    by Mark

I thought this last stretch of games was going to be the end of our playof hopes, given all the contenders we had to play in the last few weeks. Especially with BOS surging, and now with Drummond out.

But then we surprisingly win b2b games over SA/MIL,, and now have a stretch of winnable games coming up. And even thogh BOS is playing great, MIL is not, and we may only have to catch them for the 8th seed.

Only 6.5 games back now, and we now own the tiebreaker with them. Plus, while we have an easier schedule coming up, they have a tougher one. It could get interesting in the next week or so, if we can get on a streak here behind some great PG play from Jose.

And maybe we can sneak in w/o Drummond, off our newfound offense, and Drummond could come back in time for the  playoffs. Even though we’ll still lose in the 1st round, it would be good exp for all involved.

• Feb 10, 20135:01 am
    by Mr.BlockedShot

Given the production Maxiell is providing for the last games, he deserves the bench much more than Jerebko. Jonas must take advantage of the minutes he is given, which he isn’t. Anyawy could be a trade chip or a bench player for some minutes. My concern right now is who are we tradIng before the deadline, Maxiell, Bynum, both? Don’ t think Stuckey or JJ will be in the package. And, of course, right now it doesn’ t make sense to move CV unless you get someone you can’t reject.

• Feb 10, 20137:24 am
    by Mrshourite

Calderon is a STUD!!!

• Feb 10, 20138:26 am
    by Gareth Masters

This Carlos Newtown guy seems a decent player

• Feb 10, 20139:04 am
    by Clint in Flint

Joe needs to give Calderon a reason for staying. Another good trade or two just might do the trick.

• Feb 10, 20139:29 am
    by D_S_V

Where’s I HATE FRANK ?

• Feb 10, 20133:35 pm
      by Herman Neutic

Somewhere looking for a new pseudonym?

• Feb 10, 20135:51 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

or maybe Church…i got fanfare?

• Feb 10, 201310:56 am
    by Tony

A coach’s job is to win games.  Why would Frank play two guys (JJ and Slava) who are more likely to contribute to a loss.  Coaches are judged on Wins.  Coaches make decisions based on the real world.  Playing guys just because they are young or because they may or may not have potential get coaches fired.

• Feb 11, 20132:06 pm
      by MIKEYDE248

Then why is Max still in the lineup, he hasn’t contrbuted in weeks.

• Feb 10, 201311:18 am
    by Adrian

Damn. As a raptors fan, I miss Jose. What a great PG.

• Feb 10, 201311:57 am
    by mctagga9

I have to agree with most others on here regarding Jerebko. Look, the fact is that we all got really excited about Jerebko a couple of years ago when his rookie hustle and willingness to hit the deck for a loose ball was one of the few bright points of an otherwise unbearable Pistons-purgatory.
    At this point, however, I’m convinced that Jerebko is an all hustle / no finesse player, and the reality is that you cannot trust a player like that to be on the court when your team needs to win. This is not college ball where players falling all over the court is exciting and perfectly acceptable. In an NBA game, you need players who have control over their body and the ability to finish.
    I do not believe Jerebko has this ability, especially after the game vs the Nets the other night. He did finally hit a crucial shot with time winding down, but that was after missing multiple point blank opportunities at the rim. In general, he just looked physically overmatched, defensibly lost, and extremely rushed in taking his shots. The display he put on was not just “a bad game” -  it was a display of who he really is as a player.
    Don’t get me wrong… he might be able to play NBA ball at some point, but at this juncture I think he’d be better served by playing in Europe or the D-league so that he gets more comfortable with playing the game. It is sad, because we were all hoping for more from him, but I do not stand by playing him any longer. I’d prefer to play the true rooks, or even Maggette if we need a warm body on the floor. At least Cory can get to the rim and hit some free throws.

• Feb 10, 20133:17 pm
      by Scott Free

Yeah he’s playing like someone that gets few opportunities…

• Feb 11, 20132:08 pm
      by MIKEYDE248

Also looks like he is being very badly coached.  Why is it he looked so good his first year.  Different coach.  Maybe the injury set him back, but I think it’s mostly coaching.

• Feb 10, 20132:14 pm
    by Westen Shelton

Please never let Jameson do grades again. Absolutely robotic analysis, Mentions Will Bynum had TWO WHOLE personal fouls? God no! Docks frank for not playing two guys who haven’t really played well in a win? Oh no! Monroe only shot 50% from the paint, but he also earned those shots in the paint, and had 4 friggin steals. And no, I don’t need to know the league average percentages for everything. Especially when the difference between hitting those league averages in most of these examples are one shot due to sample size.

• Feb 10, 20133:31 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Knight Deserves an F!!! For not scoring…

But his Defense was borderline…”A”

He looked in on Monte Ellis, and when he got switched on Dunlevy a few times he forced the ball out his hand, and he did a very good Job on Jennings……

Offensively he missed lay ups but you have to love that he was attacking…

I would have gave him a D+ …

Overall, I look the new attacking style of offense, it would be even better if we had dry protecting the rim…and even better if we found minutes for Middleton,English and Jonas

• Feb 10, 20138:33 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

“locked”  in

• Feb 10, 20136:40 pm
    by swish22

Charlie V getting thirteen boards.  Wow.   I’m stunned he’s contributing like this but kudos for the hard work he has put in.  Kudos to the staff and LF for having the confidence in him.  Great to see a true point guard distrubuting the ball.  The future looks more promising than ever.  Go stones!!

• Feb 10, 20139:30 pm
    by Javell

Bknight got fouled like 5 times still no calls…..