So about Ben Wallace coming back…

The Pistons have one open roster spot, and now, the possibility of filling it via trade has closed.

Is it Ben Wallace time?

Keith Langlois of Pistons.com tackled the question a week ago:

I wouldn’t expect the Pistons to do anything with their available roster spot until after the Feb. 21 trade deadline, Tim, just in case an attractive deal comes along that involves taking back an extra player, just as the deal that allowed them to get Jose Calderon required trading away two players. If we get to Feb. 22 and the Pistons are still under the 15-man roster limit, I’d say that has a chance to be a consideration.

So you’re saying there’s a chance.

• Feb 21, 20134:44 pm
    by Westen Shelton

As much as I love Ben, I like that Slava is actually getting a chance to learn and prove himself right now. That goes out the window if Ben returns.

• Feb 21, 20134:52 pm
    by Bo

For all practical purposes, Westen (above) is correct: Slava needs to get some court time if he is to be out back-up center in the long run. Also, does the return of Wallace take the reigns of leadership that have (seemingly) gone to Monroe and Knight and pass to Wallace? And if those two young guns are the team leaders, is it wise to bring in possibly the one person who could take that away?

Emotionally, I’m torn: seeing Ben Wallace in a Pistons jersey would make me very happy…hearing the gong (if he returns, they better dust that off)…having him talking in Drummond’s ear…et cetera. I looooove me some Ben Wallace.

I guess this means I’m happy either way. Pro and cons for both scenarios.

• Feb 21, 20136:07 pm
      by Piston Truth

Just to correct the leadership thing I think the past couple weeks Jose Calderon looks like he’s  the all out leader of this team and maybe Monroe as the leader by example. Thats why I hope they bring Jose back to kind of build around him to make a ready made playoff team because he’s not getting younger. he’s a damn good floor general period. I just dont see Knight as a vocal leader on the court when I watch him he def has a shooting guard attitude.

• Feb 21, 20135:14 pm
    by Seto

Ben is my favourite player and always will be, but for the good of the team, we should use the open spot to try young players, like JaJuan Johnson or Malcolm Thomas etc., see if they can stick…I think Max is done after the season, so we should give his minutes to someone younger with potential..

• Feb 21, 20135:33 pm
    by Trent

Vernon Macklin is still available? But Jajuan Johnson has some serious upside. How he isn’t on an NBA roster staggers me. I would rather both of these guys then charlie and Max.

• Feb 21, 20136:00 pm
    by Piston Truth

If we was on a solid playoff run I would say get ben but no. Just try to get a young guy to fill the spot  I think Ben will come here and stun some growths of some younger big men especially slava. I rather see Ben on a winning team making a difference on trying to get another ring.

• Feb 21, 20137:36 pm
      by Venice

We dont need Ben to play. Let him mentor our young guys. He can just sit at the end of the bench and talk to the young guys. Similar to what Maggette is doing to Drummond.

• Feb 22, 20131:05 am
      by T Casey

Same. I’d love to see Ben on the team with the young bigs we have. They could benefit from watching his toughness and work ethic.

• Feb 21, 20138:11 pm
    by rick

Im dying laughing at all you for saying Slava needs to get run,lol. He is garbage and anything Ben comes in and does will or should not hinder his progression. Let’s be real dude is trash(stop looking at him with Geoirge Blaha’s glasses on,lol), and to hear half the responses as if he has shown great promise cracks me the hell up. Please make it stop right now.

• Feb 22, 20139:10 am
    by Gareth Masters

I wish Macklin would have gotten a proper opportunity last year. Is Slava really better than him?

• Feb 22, 20139:25 am
    by NickB

Bring Big Ben back to play center with Moose or PF with everyone else. Moose gets more work at PF where he’ll be when Andre returns, Slava’s minutes won’t be cut, but Max/CV’s will. Works out like everyone wants it too.