Sad Andre Drummond makes me sad

Andre Drummond has been the best thing about this Pistons season. Nothing else is really close. He plays with great enthusiasm, and he has talent to match. I defy find a single Pistons fan who isn’t enamored with him.

So, when he got hurt, I avoided reading these pieces for a while, but it’s worth knowing what Drummond is going through.

Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

As you could expect, Andre Drummond isn’t exactly himself nowadays.

Normally a gregarious presence in the Pistons locker room, Drummond was subdued talking to a small media contingent after the Pistons’ thrilling 105-100 victory over the Bucks on Saturday night.

The topic was the bad back that will keep out for probably a month – possibly longer.

“This is my life,” Drummond said in his first comments since the Pistons announcement Friday. “It’s all I know so not being able to play, it sucks, but I gotta move forward and worry about my teammates.”

Terry Foster of The Detroit News:

Frank said the injury is especially rough on Drummond because it is his first injury — and he might not be able to handle things as well as a veteran who has been injured before.

"This is his first time going through anything like this," Frank said. "A veteran guy kind of understands the nature of it. But when you are 19 years old and this is your first injury you can become invisible sometimes. You know that happens sometimes. You not only can become invisible but it is easy to not just take care of yourself 100 percent. When you are young guys don’t know."

David Mayo of MLive:

The 19-year-old is naturally outgoing and upbeat. But for the next few days, the Detroit Pistons rookie center might find himself playing the part of the sad clown.

"Just gotta recover," he said. "That’s all there is to it."

Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

The wide smile and jovial nature that accompanies Andre Drummond was understandably absent after the Pistons’ 105-100 win over the Milwaukee Bucks on Saturday.

Having to miss crucial time in a rookie year is enough to make anyone lose their easygoing approach, and Drummond will sit the next four to six weeks with a stress fracture of the fifth lumbar vertebra.

Alright, enough! Here’s some happy Drummond:

• Feb 15, 20139:37 am
    by MIKEYDE248

I’ll agree with you that Drummond is the best thing about the Pistons this year, but to say nothing else comes close is a stretch.

We have Monroe playing even better than we could have hoped the last couple of weeks, especially after his mediocre start to the season.  They traded away Prince and Daye and brought in Jose, who seems to be fitting in pretty nice.  Right now we don’t know if he will just be an expiring contract or a piece for the future, but either way it is a positive.

For the first time since the CV and Gordon signings they have some room to sign some free agents.
    I think Pistons fans finally have something positive to think about with the team.  They are maybe one trade or one free agent signing (or one new coach) from being a playoff team.

• Feb 15, 201310:12 am

Those are all nice things, but I agree with Dan that they don’t come close to having what looks like a defensive-superstar-to-be on the team.

• Feb 15, 201310:32 am
        by Huddy

I would say he is definitely what stands out.  Monroe is playing really well but thats not really new.  Drummond had a lot of question marks at the beginning of the season and is silencing critics, so I think for this season he is really the shinning star.  The cap space is nice and I look forward to what happens, but we don’t know who we are going to get yet in comparison to being able to see Drummond right now.  This off season we may decide that what Joe D does with this fiscal freedom is the biggest step in our turn around but for now I’d go with Drummond.

• Feb 15, 201310:30 am
      by DasMark

If Jose is brought back, he will likely be viewed as more of a stop-gap until they find a young, long term replacement for the PG position.

I mentioned this on MLive, I’m curious of what Pistons feelings are about Brandon Jennings? He’s a restricted free agent, Dumars could probably get a sign and trade done if they sent Knight and/or Stuckey to Milwaukee.

Would Jennings be a good fit in Detroit? Would he want to come to Detroit? Is he worth his asking price, and what is that price?

• Feb 15, 201310:40 am
        by Huddy

I see Jennings as doubtful.  He is a better scorer than Jose, but Jose doesn’t have to be a stop gap.  He may be older but with his style of play he really can play for another few years and is one of the most efficient PGs int he league.  With the Buzz about Knight’s potential to basically be a Jennings type player I doubt we trade to get another undersized scoring guard.  The biggest reason is probably that Milwaukee wouldn’t want this deal.  They have a chance to resign Jennings who is basically a more proven version of what this trade proposes sending to them.  I want to get rid of Stuckey too, but its tough to think of a solid trade proposal considering his inconsistency and how much he makes.  It is easy to think of someone we would like to see and harder to justify why the other team would want him.  I would like to look at something like Stuckey for Wilson Chandler from the Nuggets.  Their contracts are similar and the Nuggets already have Danillo who is playing great and Iguodala/Brewer all of whom can play the 3.  Stuckey would give them a quicker scoring SG option of the bench and Chandler has size, athleticism, and great D that we could really use, but again I’m not confident in Stuckey’s stock.

• Feb 15, 201311:24 am
        by Keith

Jennings is all hype. He’s NOT a good scorer. He takes a lot of shots, but he’s very inefficient. He is a poor outside shooter, poor finisher, and doesn’t draw a lot of fouls. Add to that, he’s not a strong passer and is a terrible defender.

Jennings is going to be looking for a big payday this year, but he plays like Will Bynum. Total pass. If it were for that big scoring month as a rookie, and that 50 point game, people would be asking if the Bucks even intended to extend him.

• Feb 15, 201310:28 am
    by DasMark

That injury also killed his momentum for a rookie of the year bid. Which is sad, because as Damian Lillard was cooling off, Davis was melting down, Drummond was beginning to put up eye popping stats.

Oh well.

• Feb 15, 201311:04 am
      by MIKEYDE248

I think Franks lack of playing time for Drummond killed his chances way before this injury.

• Feb 15, 201311:38 am
    by Zach

It’s sad, really, when you consider how (in theory) the talents of Stuckey, Knight, and Calderon should complement each other in a 3-guard rotation of maybe like 30 min. each. Calderon can pass and shoot, but doesn’t have the athleticism to defend or drive. Knight doesn’t have a sense of playmaking yet, but he is a natural scorer when his streaky shot is going in. Stuckey can’t shoot, but he can get to the cup and play defense when he wants to.
    But…Calderon is a free agent-to-be; Knight’s development seems to have stalled; and Stuckey has never tried to refine his game–and now he sulks half the time.
    All the more reason why the Pistons must get an elite perimeter player this offseason, whether by draft or free agency. Marcus Smart, Shabazz Muhammad, Brandon Jennings, OJ Mayo, or a combination of two of those…please?

• Feb 15, 201312:38 pm
      by Huddy

Stuckey can kick rocks he gets to the rim but doesn’t finish when he arrives.  Calderon may suffer athletically but his spot up shooting and assist/turnover efficiency makes up for it especially considering the development of a defensive big like Andre assiting on D by clogging up the lane.  I like OJ for the team depending on the price tag.  I don’t see us getting Shabazz based on where we will probably be in the draft and Jennings isn’t an upgrade especially for a high price tag.  I like the idea of keeping Jose so we have a distributor rather than another driving scorer and I think we can get him back for a reasonable price.  He stayed with one team for a long time and as far as family goes Detroit is relatively close to where he has been for the last 8 years so thats positive for us unless Toronto tries to get him back as some have suggested, but I really don’t know why they would pay him when they did all the work to Kyle Lowry.  Like I said above Stuckey for Wilson Chandler would be great or even long shot free agency signing of Andre Iguodala what be awesome and we have the money to pay him.  His point production has gone down but Danillo playing well and Ty lawson being on the team contributes to that.

• Feb 15, 201311:57 am
    by hoophabit

Drummond wasn’t ever really in the running for ROY.  It really is an award to the most NBA ready player from a draft class.  Lillard cooled off for one game.  He is clearly ROY.

However, Drummond has to be one of the most exciting things to happen for the Pistons in quite a while.  The (and here, I’ll use the word correctly) awesome athletic gifts are just fun to watch.  Seeing the defensive tenor of the game change because Andre is standing down in the paint.  The clever blocks, startling one-hand put back dunks, steal and length of the court drives, and the lobs flash superstar potential.

The Pistons are wise to be careful of him, both before and after the injury.  Second youngest player in the league.  Who knows if he is even done growing at just nineteen.  The current injury is said to be common of growing athletes.  I’d much rather see a collection of MVPs over a ROY in any case.

• Feb 15, 20133:15 pm

Don’t get your hopes up too high. I wouldn’t expect any MVPs out of Drummond. WE can hope for some DPOYs. But even that will still take a lot of development.

• Feb 15, 20135:29 pm
    by hoophabit

What’s the point of sports if we don’t hope.  Sure, he might be destined to suffer chronic injury and just be a flash in the pan.  He might go crazy with his sudden wealth and become complacent.  Can’t be sure, but I’m not ready to limit this kids potential to just defense so soon.  If Drummond cares about his place in the game, and maintains the work ethic and receptiveness to coaching that is reported, he can be very special.  I agree though that there is lots of development yet to occur.