Pistons at MSG tonight

Essentials

• Teams: Detroit Pistons (18-30) at New York Knicks (30-15)
  • Date: February 4, 2013
  • Time: 7:30 p.m.
  • Television: FSD

What to look for

In the opening month of the season, Carmelo Anthony put his name alongside Kevin Durant and LeBron James in the race for league MVP on the strength of his terrific play at power forward as well as his team’s success.

He wasn’t just scoring the ball, he was doing it at a rate more efficient than what we had become accustomed to from him.

Melo spent part of last season monopolizing possessions to set up his defender with a series of jab fakes and then fired away a multitude of low percentage shots all the while completely halting the Knicks’ ball movement on offense.

But early in the 2012-13 season, Anthony was different.

He was on the block attacking bigger and smaller players by virtue of his foot speed and strength in the low post that just very few can match.

The Eastern Conference Finals seemed like a foregone conclusion with many assuming that dispatching the Miami Heat would be a mere formality based on the victories against them so far in the regular season.

But things have been a little different since the calendar flipped to 2013.

The Knicks are still winning ball games and challenging the defending champions for the top spot in the Eastern Conference standings, but Melo’s MVP bandwagon has come to an abrupt end, at least at present time.

Anthony has drifted a bit more to the perimeter as the season’s progressed and is consequently spending a little less time in the post, and more time away from the basket, firing long 2-point shots as well as 3-pointers.

Even when he does post up, he is getting pushed out from the box and when he catches the ball, he sees extra attention or perhaps a soft double-team, which prompts him to pass the ball to an open teammate, but he has trouble reposting again given that he was already pushed away from the block.

And keep mind, he’s also had to share the court in 2013 not only with Amar’e Stoudemire, but with Tyson Chandler flanking both of them as well, thus relegating Melo to the 3-point line. Per NBA.com’s advanced stats tool, the trio has played 129 minutes together since the January 1st and has in fact been quite productive.

Melo on the other hand has seen his shooting figures plummet as a result of an overreliance on long-range shots.

NBA.com’s advanced stats tool tells us that from opening night to December 31st, the Knicks’ superstar was averaging 28.5 points per game on 47.3 percent field goal shooting and 43.4 percent 3-point shooting. Mind you, from January 1st to today, Melo is scoring 28.4 points per game on 41 percent field goal shooting and 37.6 percent shooting from downtown.

His 3-point attempts have increased in the New Year while his free throw trips have diminished, which has had an impact on New York’s offense as a whole. Indeed, the Knickerbockers’ were scoring 112.2 points per 100 possessions prior to January 1st with the former Olympian on the court but have since regressed to 109.5 points per 100 possessions with Melo on the floor in the New Year.

Part of the offensive struggles might be a direct correlation of the absence of Ray Felton that provided NY with some good dribble penetration to attack the paint and kick out for open shots, but Melo has to do a better job of creating better shots if the Knicks are truly going to contend this season.

Tonight’s contest is a good place to get some insights on the Syracuse product’s mindset given that the Detroit Pistons don’t have anyone truly capable of defending him one-on-one.

Read about the Knicks

Knickerblogger.

Statistical support provided by NBA.com.

• Feb 4, 20136:04 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

defensively we struggle against teams like the Knicks…so I dont expect us to win this game, probably wont even be close…however, I do want to see how well Knight and Calderon play together

• Feb 4, 20136:35 pm
    by gmehl

Could we see a surprise insertion into the starting lineup tonight of a one Andre Drummond? Whoops ill wake up now.

• Feb 4, 20136:38 pm
    by Haan

This will be interesting.  Good game (and period of the season) to test a couple of hypotheses offered (implicitly at least) by hardcore Knight as PG defenders.  Beginning with the assertion that Knight’s foibles at PG are primarily traceable to bad coaching and inadequate/ non-fitting teammates as starters, the first, more extreme, hypothesis would be that no PG can succeed in these circumstances while the second, more moderate, contention would be that any PG’s productivity would be severely diminished by the Pistons surroundings.  I think we’ll soon find that #1 is bunk.  Assessing the second claim will be more complicated.  I expect Calderon’s early passing performance to be somewhat below his Toronto level, but clearly about Knight’s success as PG.  And I don’t think it will be long to see Calderon’s PG level to approximate (barring injuries) his Toronto level, with Monroe and Singler among the chief beneficiaries.

• Feb 4, 20136:40 pm
    by Haan

Meant “clearly above Knight’s success as PG.”

• Feb 4, 20137:11 pm
    by Vince

I think we can pull off an upset, I’m quite high on Calderon and I’ll admit I’m intrigued by Knight shifting to SG. Interesting backcourt to say the least.

For the best chance for a win tonight, Drummond would have to start, I’d love to see the damage a Calderon-Drummond pick and roll can create.

• Feb 4, 20137:53 pm
    by Blocks By Dre

6 to 15…welcome to the Pistons Jose! Hope you’re  expect much we wouldn’t want to disappoint you or anything. If losing is ok with you then you’ll make it here

• Feb 4, 20137:54 pm
      by Blocks By Dre

*mot expecting

• Feb 4, 20138:06 pm
        by Blocks By Dre

Damn it stupid iPad!

*NOT EXPECTING

• Feb 4, 20137:53 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

doesnt matter who is at point when no one is making shots…

also, we dont match up against the Knicks…you have to play man to man against the Knicks…
    they are beating us the exact same say thy beat us the last two times…

Make an adjustment FRANK!

• Feb 4, 20137:55 pm
    by Vince

Wow. Playing horribly.

• Feb 4, 20138:01 pm

no chemistry….

• Feb 4, 20137:58 pm

this is gonna be a joke

• Feb 4, 20138:00 pm
    by Nick

So Maxiel gets into foul trouble, and the first person Frank subs in is Stuckey to have a 3 guard rotation.  Great.

• Feb 4, 20138:02 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

why in the hell he had maxiell guarding Shumpert in the first place?

• Feb 4, 20138:09 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

LOL… all you can do is laugh…Knicks are the best 3 point shooting team in the league, and defensively your basically like…

Let them beat us with the 3….

Monroe,Drummond, Stuckey, Knight and Calderon line up axctually looked decent…but what do you do…

bring in Jonas and Charlie

worst coach ever

• Feb 4, 20138:11 pm

Blowout time

• Feb 4, 20138:13 pm

GOOD NIGHT!

• Feb 4, 20138:14 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

CAN WE GET A REAL BIG MAN COACH?

• Feb 4, 20138:18 pm

ATLEAST DRUMMOND GETTING TOCUHES

• Feb 4, 20138:18 pm
    by vali

i’m watching first time the pistons just to see how Jose is doing. Wow…I dont know what to say…but it seems that there is no plan, no chemistry, no system in place. I like BK but he looks pissed that he doesnt get to be the PG…I truly hope there is not another PG controversy involving Jose because he had so many of them in Toronto. Good news is …it can be only better, no?
    Wishing you guys good luck…

• Feb 4, 20138:18 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Really pathetic ….   they lay down for the Knick’s like they were world champs    bad line ups.  Caldaron looked best assisting himself (at least he made the shots he took )   I can not think for the life of me why Max is starting or even playing at times  his stat line remind me of when we were starting Curry at SF and let the Prince sit   WHAT with the coaching and management Stuckey doing his bull in a china shop retune flying in no idea where he is going.

• Feb 4, 20138:21 pm
    by Blocks By Dre

Well…the plan WAS to watch this and study for my exam tomorrow, but it looks like I might just be doing one and not the other especially if we decide we want to look like a JV high school team taking on an ALL NBA 1st team

• Feb 4, 20138:22 pm

shitty rotation!

• Feb 4, 20138:26 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

question why are we still leaving 3 point shooters open?

I HATE FRANK!

• Feb 4, 20138:27 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

I would let MAX STUCKEY AND CV  go FOR NOTHING just to get them off the team

• Feb 4, 20138:28 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

im not suprised not even upset

• Feb 4, 20138:35 pm
    by Butterscotch

What the hell???They look scared to death!!

• Feb 4, 20138:37 pm

embarrsing

• Feb 4, 20138:40 pm
      by Butterscotch

My thoughts exactly. We have to get some ballers quick, before the deadline.

• Feb 4, 20138:58 pm
      by swish22

Did a dude named Frank also steal your woman or something? See a psychiatrist dude . L F’s IQ I would argue is far superior to yours. Change teams and root for another coach’s team you like or go get a medical weed card and relax. The only future all star on this team is Drummond and he’s 19. You can’t make gold out of copper. He’s playing a lot of guys, giving everyone a shot knowing this team is not capable of going anywhere as it’s currently assembled. I hate Joe D’s roster would be more precise name if looking to blame someone. L F didn’t assemble this group and as Bill Parcells once said “if they want you to do the cooking you should at least be able to buy some of the groceries”, or something close to those words.

• Feb 4, 20138:40 pm
    by piston moribund

WTF, WTF with the lineup???????  I have nothing more to add?????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Feb 4, 20138:42 pm

LOL Jose needs to play SG

• Feb 4, 20138:45 pm
      by bvpiston

No he does not. He runs off the pick and roll, and since no one is there for the pass he has to shoot. That’s what a PG does. I’m sure he’d love to pass, but it ain’t happening right now.

• Feb 4, 20138:44 pm

Well Calderon is supposed to have good AST:TO ratios. Halfway through his first game in Detroit, 0 AST, 0 TO. Guess we’ll just have to wait a bit longer.

• Feb 4, 20138:47 pm
      by I HATE FRANK

with the Raptors he played with PF that can actually shoot the 15-17 footer..

He played with a super athletic SG….

They didnt play this slow, with no consistent scoring threat…

Calderon is not even breaking down his man….

• Feb 4, 20138:44 pm
    by apa8ren9

I just dont understand it.  It doesnt even look like they are running the same offense.  Where is the pick and roll offense and side to side action?  Where is the high post action with screens on the opposite side?  Are they so upset by one player in the lineup that they cant run their own offense?  I can accept a bad game but they arent running anything and they are still turning the ball over.  Act like you got a pair (Pistons) in the second half and play.  I dont think the New Yorkers are having fun with this one, its so pathetic.

• Feb 4, 20138:44 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Trade Knight …my fear has come true…all he is doing spotting up…and chucking 3′s…

Frank has no imagination on offense…

I HATE FRANK!

• Feb 4, 20138:51 pm
    by Prelove

this site has become a comedy thanks to ” I HATE FRANK”. Shut the fuck up, and use spell check. You obnoxious good.

• Feb 4, 20138:52 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Defensively …STOP TRAPPING THE BALL!!!!

we have given up open 3 after 3….. like you dont know what they want to do…

Frank is a idiot…. OR play 3-2 Zone,,,,

• Feb 4, 20138:53 pm
    by Georgio

Exactly what I said earlier today, mismatch city if he plays 3 guards and that’s just what happened. We actually stopped the bleeding a little bit when we went back to a more traditional lineup. We can’t play small ball with Stuckey at the 3 but in special situations, it can’t be a regular lineup. Singler or Jonas should always be on the floor and if Max comes out you have to bring in Drummond or CV. NO MORE SMALL BALL!!!

• Feb 4, 20138:55 pm
    by Prelove

the comment board on this site has become a comedy, thanks to ” I HATE FRANK.” And his multiple accounts he uses to reply to himself. Shut the fuck up, and use spell check, Goon.

• Feb 4, 20139:07 pm
    by I HATE FRANK

Knight can get to the rim, I hate that he settles for soo many 3′s….

Just need to keep moving without the ball

• Feb 4, 20139:08 pm

Calderon’s first assist as a Piston!

• Feb 4, 20139:08 pm

It went to Singler

• Feb 4, 20139:15 pm
        by I HATE FRANK

I just dont think anyone can stand still….

If we had a Princeton offense it would be good for this team…No shooting SG is gonna wanna chase Knight around…Monroe moves well without the ball…and So does Singler…

Bu right now…no one moves without the ball

• Feb 4, 20139:11 pm

everyone is moving!

• Feb 4, 20139:14 pm
    by apa8ren9

They finally started to run the offense and now they are getting some points.  At least make NY work.  They think they can mail in the second half.  If the Pistons play hard the rest of the way they can at least make it respectable.  I dont expect them to win but come on.  Keep playing!

• Feb 4, 20139:18 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

Starting forwards fist half:   Max and Singler  0 points

• Feb 4, 20139:31 pm
    by Elkarl

Calderon is a good player, but he has not team!!!

• Feb 4, 20139:45 pm
    by Jayknowsball

this is embrassing , not only is there no chemistry but when you know the Knicks are a three point shooting team why aren’t you guarding your man….it just seems the pistons have zero common sense .damn I could do better job coaching then this guy no defense at all

• Feb 4, 20139:45 pm

English
    Jerebko/Middleton
    Villanueva
    Maxiell/Kravtsov

• Feb 4, 20139:46 pm
    by Elkarl

And please… fire little coach!!!!!!

• Feb 4, 20139:47 pm
    by Jayknowsball

Jose is gon learn maxiell isn’t the one to past it to ….

• Feb 4, 20139:49 pm
    by gmehl

Hi guys i am only following this game via espn gamecast and was wondering why Drummond is only down as playing 8 minutes. Can anyne enlighten me as to wtf this is the case?

• Feb 4, 20139:49 pm
    by Jopl

I’m not watching the game but uh, where’s drummond?

• Feb 4, 20139:50 pm
    by Ozzie-Moto

So Drummond got 8 Min tonight ? really ?

• Feb 4, 20139:51 pm
    by Elkarl

s

• Feb 4, 20139:51 pm
    by Stuckey and Whoever

Monroe played so horrible in the first half, even what he did in the second couldn’t make up for it.  At least he did something but I swear if he has another 4+ turnover game again!..  Its ridiculous how bad he shows up when anyone half way decent guards him.  And the same for Knight..and they are so post to be our corner stone, think AGAIN!!  Jose & Stuckey need to start, and whoever next to Drummond.

• Feb 4, 20139:52 pm
    by gmehl

Also by reading the comments here i see we have a lot of Toronto Raptor fans here following Jose. I am not watching this game live but it is clear that we will have to give Jose and the team time to get used to each other. I mean the guy had a walk through in the teams hotel with a couple of players. I bet Jose doesn’t even know everyone’s name yet.

• Feb 4, 201310:03 pm
    by domnick

one more big trade… we need a go-to-guy!

• Feb 4, 201310:05 pm
    by Jayknowsball

Drummond had suffered a soar back so they sat him the rest of the game