His name is Metta World Peace, so call him Metta World Peace

Me at the Free Press:

Pistons announcer George Blaha gained a bit of recognition for saying, “This building brings out the Ron Artest in Metta World Peace,” after the Los Angeles Lakers forward punched Brandon Knight on Sunday at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

The line was clever, of course, recalling the Malice at the Palace. That incident forever will be the first thing that comes to mind when people hear the name Ron Artest. I have no problem with that line.

But Blaha repeatedly calling him Ron Artest instead of Metta World Peace throughout the broadcast was problematic.

Considering that Blaha called the player World Peace more often than he called him Artest, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that his switches to Artest were unintentional. I believe, or at least hope, Blaha would be above intentionally calling him Artest.

But the difference between doing it intentionally and unintentionally, while meaningful, only mitigates the problem.

• Feb 8, 201312:02 pm
    by Desolation Row

Why is it problematic? Why must a guy of Blaha’s stature be subjected to the humiliation of calling a guy by “World Peace”? It’s ridiculous. He’s Ron Artest, and I don’t see how it’s a problem if an announcer just calls a guy by his real name rather than cave into some publicity stunt where the guy can get people to call him World Peace instead by applying for a form that says so.

Ron Artest is a joke, he shouldn’t have to bring everyone else down to his level.

• Feb 8, 201312:31 pm

“He’s Ron Artest, and I don’t see how it’s a problem if an announcer just calls a guy by his real name rather than cave into some publicity stunt”

No, he used to be Ron Artest. his real name is Metta World Peace. It was a legal change of status. Just like someone’s adoptive parents are their real parents. They still have birth parents, just as Artest still has a birth name. But that is no longer his real name.

“Why must a guy of Blaha’s stature be subjected to the humiliation of calling a guy by “World Peace”?”

And what is humiliating about calling someone by their name, no matter how weird, regardless of stature? But let’s imagine for a moment that it is about stature. World Peace’s stature is much greater than Blaha’s.

• Feb 8, 201312:35 pm
        by Count that baby and a foul

“World Peace’s stature is much greater than Blaha’s.”

Not in this town buddy

• Feb 8, 201312:53 pm

Sure, in one city in the world, it is debatable. Amongst Pistons fans in the city, Blaha’s stature is probably greater. But even in Detroit in general, I bet more than half the people don’t know who Blaha even is. Much fewer won’t know who Metta World Peace is.

So if he debatably has a greater stature among one very small subset of people and a much lesser one among everyone else, clearly Blaha has the lesser stature.

However, the whole stature thing wasn’t even the point. It was an aside.

• Feb 8, 201312:58 pm
            by Count that baby and a foul

That “one city “”and “small subset of people” are the people reading this blog… are lakers fans on here reading this? You don’t have to go all true blue keith puff peice every article, but some love for the home team would be nice… Defending a guy that beats up your home team fans and players is not a good way to go.

• Feb 8, 20132:04 pm

I recognize that. I was responding to the idea that it is humiliating for Blaha to debase himself to the point of acting like World Peace is an equal.

• Feb 8, 20135:50 pm
            by Scott Free

Tarsier, I think you’re confusing notoriety with respectability.  By Blaha’s stature, they aren’t talking about his fame — they’re talking about his level of class, which isn’t even in the same league as “world peace’s”

The name itself is a joke for a player as violent and aggressive as Artest, and Blaha is right not to feed the troll.

• Feb 8, 201312:44 pm
        by Jacob

Ron Artest is trash and should be treated as such.

• Feb 8, 201312:56 pm

Ron Artest does not exist. Well, there is probably someone with that name. But he is not someone many people have heard of. So I don’t know why you would be putting him down.

You can dislike World Peace. You can even think he is a bad basketball player, although you’d clearly be wrong since he made it to the NBA. But calling for a human being to be treated like trash is just not acceptable. It shows a complete lack of grace and character on your part.

Please  avoid talking if that is the kind of drivel that will come out of your mouth. The world is better off without any such comments.

• Feb 8, 20131:03 pm
            by Jacob

Never said he was a bad basketball player but the NBA shouldn’t even allow him on the court. Kids watch these games and see him punch another player in the face, along with all his other negative actions. He shouldn’t be allowed to play. I went to work and punched someone I would be fire. You must either be his boyfriend or think its ok to go around just punching anyone that you don’t like. So maybe you should quit posting things.

• Feb 8, 20131:33 pm
            by oats

“You must either be his boyfriend…”

Come on people. Please don’t use homosexuality as an insult. That is NOT ok. I know it’s the internet and all, but I don’t want to stumble upon this garbage in the small handful of comments sections I actually do read.

• Feb 8, 20131:58 pm
        by Desolation Row

@Tarsier — I understand your opinion, and you’re certainly not incorrect from a certain point of view. This may be a bit presumptuous, but I think this whole thing is a bit of an ego play by Artest to be called World Peace. Indulgence in narcissism. Or some other chemical imbalance. Regardless, I don’t think anyone is particularly obligated to oblige to Artest’s wishes given the grandiose/ridiculous-sounding nature. I’m not saying Blaha would be wrong in calling him World Peace, I’m just saying that I don’t think it’s particularly problematic for him not to. Other media types haven’t. See: Barkley, Charles.

Also, I never said Blaha’s stature was above Artest globally. I simply meant to say that a well-respected figure in his field shouldn’t have to be subjugated to sounding ridiculous over a broadcast by calling a guy “World Peace”. You can disagree, but I certainly don’t think you are justified in acting as if there is a universal standard to which we must all oblige here either.

• Feb 8, 20132:12 pm
          by Crispus

Almost everyone, especially show biz and public broadcast professionals, has to sound ridiculous at times by calling celebrities their chosen names. If Blaha was talking about Lady Gaga performing at halftime he wouldn’t call her Stefani Germanotta to avoid sounding silly, he’d call her Lady Gaga.

On the other hand when you know someone by a name and they suddenly change it, it can be hard to change the habit, especially if you think their motivations are less than ironclad. I have a couple friends who decided to go by other first names (nothing crazy mind you, regular names), but it’s very hard for me to think and refer to them by the new name, especially since the changes seem superfluous to me.

• Feb 8, 20132:18 pm
            by Michelob Mike

…and when their actions run contrary to their supposed ‘change’ and in line with their ‘old’ persona.

• Feb 8, 20132:40 pm

well stated

• Feb 8, 20134:53 pm
            by Desolation Row

That’s a good point. But there is definitely a difference between an industry rife with pseudonyms like the music industry and athletic sports where players are commonly referred to by nickname. I think there is a gray area here — I’d love to understand why there isn’t, because nothing written so far has convinced me that there isn’t. So, just to humor my point, let’s assume there is — is it necessarily problematic, in that case, for Blaha to not refer to Artest as MWP?

Moreover, for everyone on this thread crying racism — how would you respond to Barkley referring to MWP constantly as Artest? He used to do it a decent amount… it’s a giant leap to make the racist assertion. And completely baseless.

• Feb 8, 20135:36 pm
            by Crispus

Well duh, Charles Barkley can say the A-word because he’s black :)

• Feb 8, 201310:46 pm

Black people are racist too.

• Feb 8, 201312:21 pm
    by Victor

Absolutely brilliant Dan. Glad to read the whole thing. I’ve been reading this blog as a primary source on Pistons info for a long time, but never seen such a clever, classy post.

As a brazilian Pistons fan, I’m delighted to read a guy who understands History enough to take its scars seriously. If more people were able to think in such a fresh way I’m sure there wouldn’t be the so-called anti-american movments in Latin America.

Keep the good job.

• Feb 8, 201312:26 pm

Dan,

I don’t mind when you give players crazy grades that have no logic to them. I don’t mind when you write negetive stuff about the pistons, I even don’t mind that you show your dislike for your job by picking davis over drummond (which no pistons fan should do at all… they are too close to say which one for sure would be better, so show love to your team) it’s your opinion any you have a right to say/write it… but the second you start taking swings at George, you cross the line. If Mr. Blaha responded to your little dribble article with a “yeah, i did it intentionally. That guys a di#$ and i hate him with every bone in my body” Then the rest of us should say, “yes sir” and hate the bastard too. Blaha has more knowledge about basketball in one thought then most of us will have in a lifetime. Why don’t you try to get a job writting for a team you like? It would make your writting better for sure. You have to enjoy what you do.

• Feb 8, 201312:35 pm

So knowing a lot about a sport makes someone above reproach? If I know a lot about football, is it ok for me to, on a public broadcast, make reference to Ray “murderer” Lewis?

The fact of the matter is that referring to a player by a name that he has deliberately separated himself from and which IS NOT HIS FREAKING NAME ANYMORE is highly unprofessional, even more so if intentional. No matter how much you love Blaha, when he behaves unprofessionally, he deserves to be called out.

• Feb 8, 201312:41 pm
        by Count that baby and a foul

How much i like Blaha is directly related to how much he loves the pistons. I bet he does truly dislike RON ARTEST for hitting Detroit fans in the stands. If you were at that game i bet you wouldn’t like RON ARTEST much either. I was at that game and i can tell you i will never be a RON ARTEST fan, nor will i ever call him anything that has the word peace in the title. Would you like it if you were a christian and somebody clearly not of that faith changed his name to “Jesus God McChristian” then went around telling everybody how good he was, all the while punching people half his size and elbowing people in the head?

• Feb 8, 20131:11 pm

Nobody is asking you to be a fan of the former Ron Artest or the present Metta World Peace. I was not at that game. I was in the Philippines at the time. But I did watch it. In fact, it was one of the rare games I watched live while there. And it was a shocking debacle.

But there are a couple important points to be addressed here:

1) Malice at the Palace was far from all Artest’s fault. There were a lot of people who deserved blame. Out of them, Artest possibly deserves the most. But don’t put it all on him or even all on the Pacers. Some Pistons, and especially their fans, behaved in altogether unacceptable manners.

2) That total meltdown is in the past, and quite a long way in the past by now, too. I am not the person I was that day. You are probably not the same either. Why assume Artest/World Peace is?

3) Even if the entire incident is to be laid at the feet of Artest. And you don’t care that it is in the past so you still hold that grudge just as strongly against World Peace (and so does Blaha), nobody is asking anyone to like the man, just to call him by his name.

Also, I am a Christian and I couldn’t possibly care any less if a non-Christian changed his name to “Jesus God McChristian”. It would probably bother me somewhat if a Christian did so, but not that much because I know we include a lot of crazies just like any large subset of people. Would I like him being jerk and telling everyone how nice he is? No, because that’s absurd. But it wouldn’t particularly bother me either because someone who changed his name like that, I’d expect to have a few screws loose.

If you want to call out World Peace for being an asshole who pretends to be a wonderful person, knock yourself out. Heck, you can even call him Artest, childish though that may be. But I expect professionalism from people in roles like Blaha’s. And that includes not calling people by the wrong name. He can even say “the former Ron Artest: if he really wants, although he would come off as petty.

But calling World Peace “Artest” is unprofessional because it’s inaccurate. It is comparable to calling Kyle Singler “Conan O’Brien”.

• Feb 8, 20131:30 pm
            by Michelob Mike

In this case, I don’t think a small bit of unprofessionalism is unwarranted on Blaha’s part. If you want to read deeper into it, Blaha’s basically saying “you can change the name but not necessarily the person.” Call him what you want, he hasn’t improved as a person on the court from what I can witness as a basketball fan.

• Feb 8, 20131:33 pm
            by bh

The last point is actually not a good analogy.  Kyle Singler didn’t change his name to Conan O’Brien.  The rest of the logic flows pretty well, but this last thought really doesn’t even make sense.

• Feb 8, 20131:36 pm
            by Count that baby and a foul

because he is still elbowing and punching people, if you were 15 when that happened sure you are a much much different person if you were 25 the change would be less dramatic

• Feb 8, 201312:37 pm
      by Rich

“Blaha has more knowledge about basketball in one thought then most of us will have in a lifetime.”
      Does he?  I mean, honestly, I can’t say I’ve ever heard him offer any evidence that he is some kind of basketball genius.  A great homer, sure, and a guy who makes nice calls on TV.  But I can’t say I can ever once recall an actual insight about the game of basketball coming out of his mouth.
      I also recall him, in the 90s, refer more than once to a non-called foul as a Piston getting “raped.”  That’s at least something he seems to have stopped doing, though.

• Feb 8, 201312:44 pm
        by Count that baby and a foul

read his articles, some of them may be puff pieces for sure, but most come with a healthy dose of wisdom. I don’t dislike dan, but the more i read his stuff, it just seems like he doesn’t like the pistons. I understanding trying to ber objective, but you write for a pistons publicaton. If the decision is that close between davis and drummond, don’t you think it’s good for reader moral to vote drummond. Hell even if drummond was clear cut number 2 option, you show love for your team, and pick drummond.

• Feb 8, 20131:12 pm

I don’t think anyone is particularly worried about reader morale.

• Feb 8, 20132:44 pm

‘Reader morale’ is the best thing I’ve read in the comments here in a long time. Seriously, the ONLY person you should be taking your reader morale complaints to is Mr. Dumars. He’s been responsible for my low writer morale for years now.

• Feb 8, 20132:57 pm
            by Count that baby and a foul

Yeah he sucks, i can’t believe he only got us to 6 conf finals, only two crapy nba finals and top it off we only got one stinking nba championship out of him… how does he top that off? you guessed it, the idiot made us suffer through three years of meaningless basketball before he brought in a team that is exciting again…. what a jerk.

i’m not going to go to the “you couldn’t do his job better” that’s not your feild… but you can’t do your job better then he does his, so there’s that.

• Feb 8, 20133:44 pm

“he brought in a team that is exciting again”

Where exactly is that? He has a team with exactly 2.5 exciting young players and a bunch of either role players or expiring contracts. A team that will be in the lottery again this year. If that’s your definition of exciting …

Also, I absolutely don’t think I can do the job better than Dumars. But does that mean that, as a fan, I can’t be critical just because I’m not as good at the thing I’m being critical about?

You write like dogshit based on your comments. So by that thinking, since you can’t write well, shouldn’t you refrain from being critical of people who write better than you? And I’m not referring to just me — tarsier and quite a few other commenters write much better than you too. You should probably refrain from responding to anyhting they write as well.

• Feb 8, 20134:07 pm
        by sloppy joe

You still hear a “rape” slip-up from Blaha from time to time.

• Feb 8, 201312:40 pm

Also, not showing Pistons bias in an attempt at objective analysis shows a dislike for the job of covering the Pistons? That’s like saying that if you are trying to decide whether you prefer a Lincoln or a Buick, and it’s really close, and your friend drives one of the two, you have to choose that one.

Maybe your decision-making process is that muddled, but don’t assume everyone’s is.

• Feb 8, 201312:48 pm
        by Count that baby and a foul

it’s more like saying you are picking between a lincoln and buick, and you work for one of the two…. yes you should buy the one you work for if it is that close a call. Agree with that?

• Feb 8, 201312:52 pm
          by Michelob Mike

also, if the other car is a complete dick that shouldn’t be on the market anyway

• Feb 8, 201312:55 pm
            by Michelob Mike

nevermind, I meant Artest is the dick, which doesn’t work here heh

• Feb 8, 20131:15 pm

No it doesn’t, but I was entertained anyway.

• Feb 8, 20131:14 pm

Only if they’re giving me a discount. Otherwise, no. I buy whatever I want. And if I work for Buick but have the ever so slight preference for the Lincoln, that’s what I’m getting.

Also, Dan doesn’t work for the Pistons.

• Feb 8, 20131:04 pm
      by TRJ

So, Count – just out of curiosity, are you purchasing everything that Saint Blaha shills each night?

I mean, I like the man as much as the next guy, but you’re being a little silly.

And while we’re nit-picking, is anyone else a little tired of hearing Kelser say, “If you’re the Pistons…” a hundred times each night? Brother needs a new line.

• Feb 8, 20131:55 pm
        by Count that baby and a foul

As i said, some of his stuff is just puff n’ fluff, but i don’t think i could have made it past the teal days without george. He IS the link between bad boys, goin’ to work and what ever the next team that wins it for us will be called. This is not about ron ron. This is about a Piston legend, who bleeds piston red white and blue. He has earned the right to say what he wants… i don’t have to agree with the man to know he has earned the right to say it. Even if he were talking about a person that deserved to be treated with respect (which he wasn’t) you have to give it to him. I have never heard him talk bad about any player, coach, GM, or owner so if he “ment” to insult ron by calling him by his given name so be it. i doubt that is what he was doing, if he was more power to him.

• Feb 8, 201312:47 pm
    by Michelob Mike

lol Blaha hates Artest and for good reason. Sometime last season, I think it was, Ron did the ‘kiss his own biceps’ thing after a play and Blaha said something like “there’s no words for that…….TACKY that’s what it is TACKY” haha.

I also remember when he went off on T-Rob after the elbow to Jonas. “Someone needs to be T-ed up, he can afford it, he’s got that top five money, even though he’s not starting.”

Blaha calls him Artest when he does something stupid and good for him. Lack of bias in this instance is okay with me because Blaha is the announcer for the Pistons and because Artest deserves it. Show no respect, get none. If this were on ESPN though, it would be a different story but no, it was on FSNDetroit.

Way to go on defending a guy who BEAT UP OUR FANS though, Dan. Sorry, but I find most of your articles to be rather inane. Let’s get back to talking about CV’s DISTURBING free throw percentage lol.

• Feb 8, 20131:18 pm

I’m all for calling out such nonsense. But if you are in a professional capacity, be professional about it.

• Feb 8, 20131:20 pm
        by Michelob Mike

he mostly is though, he went back to calling him MWP after that. I think Artest has been classless enough around here to deserve a little soft teasing like that. I mean, if you want to talk about unprofessionalism…

• Feb 8, 20132:01 pm

I wasn’t watching this game. But according to the article, that was not the case.

• Feb 8, 20132:05 pm
            by Michelob Mike

well I did watch the game and it was the case (sometimes he’d slip in some ‘the artist formerly known as Ron Artest’ quips though, to be fair). Also, we’re still comparing light teasing of an individual’s name to a guy who has repeatedly been a thug on the court, I think the balance is still in George’s favor.

• Feb 8, 201312:49 pm
    by Jacob

Maybe Artest will be smart like chad johnson and change his name back, because it makes him look even more retarted than he already is. He should of been kicked out for 20 games. The only difference between ARTEST and a bucket of crap is the bucket.

• Feb 8, 20131:22 pm

You claim he looks retarded while writing “should of”? I make a strong, conscious effort to nitpick writing infrequently.

But if you don’t know what the word “of” means, how it differs from “have”, or the fact that the contraction “should’ve” is not the same as the nonsensical, meaningless “should of” in spite of the fact that they sound similar, please think long and hard before insulting anyone else’s intelligence.

• Feb 8, 20131:25 pm
        by Michelob Mike

oh please, that’s a cheap shot and irrelevant to the discussion

• Feb 8, 20131:34 pm
          by Jacob

I don’t care bout grammer on a blog broseph hahaha (personal attack removed)

• Feb 8, 20131:56 pm

Yes, the only reason I could possibly want people to behave professionally concerning a man, regardless of how positive or negative they feel like being about him, is because my ultimate desire is to have sex with him. Congratulations on working that out. You are incredibly insightful.

• Feb 8, 20132:00 pm

Also, I don’t particularly care about grammar on a blog either. However, your problem was not a grammatical error. It was a lack of the fundamental understanding of meanings of very basic words. You clearly don’t know the difference between “of” and “have”. This isn’t misplaced punctuation. This is like not knowing the difference between a backboard and a rim.

• Feb 8, 20132:49 pm
            by G

*you’re, not your, “a part” is actually one word, “retarted” is actually spelled “retarded” and “grammer” is actually spelled “grammar”.

I usually overlook spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors in the comments section but yours were particularly egregious. It’s hard to take any argument seriously when there are that many errors, even if the argument is intelligently laid out (which yours clearly isn’t).

I think we’re done here. Let’s move on.

• Feb 8, 20133:13 pm

And I’m just relieved nobody got their panties in a bunch over the fact that the word “retarded” was used.

• Feb 8, 20131:44 pm

It is irrelevant. As is World Peace’s level of intelligence. But I got annoyed with you for using one of the most idiotic common mistakes out there while calling someone else retarded.

I make mistakes too. I’d rather people not act like my arguments are invalid because of them. But Jacob’s statement was petty and worthless (and probably wrong) to begin with, so I thought I’d point out that it was also hypocritical.

• Feb 8, 201312:59 pm
    by Michelob Mike

wow, clicked on the actual article and you actually brought RACE into this, Dan??!! I can’t believe the Free Press runs your tripe (or maybe I can). Blaha was a huge ‘Sheed fan btw, get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.

• Feb 8, 20131:17 pm

How was race brought into it?

• Feb 8, 20131:18 pm
        by Michelob Mike

click on the link to the full article at the free press, it’s ridiculous

• Feb 8, 20131:26 pm

Yeah, the inclusion of the race card really hurt the article.

• Feb 8, 20132:57 pm
          by G

Yes, he put Artest/World Peace in the same category as Muhammad Ali and Kunta Kinte from Roots. Now THAT’S ridiculous.

Maybe Blaha just has a hard time calling somebody who’s constantly getting in fights on the court “World Peace”. It’s a joke. Besides that, his rap label was “Tru Warier” (which was supposed to be pronounced “true warrior”) and he constantly refers to himself as a “soldier”. I have a hard time calling him “World Peace” myself and usually fall back on “MWP”.

• Feb 8, 20134:26 pm
      by Dan Feldman

This nation’s racial history is the only reason this is matters at all (and not that it matters much, anyway). A white announcer mistakenly calling a white player by his previous name opens no scars. It’s like someone who doesn’t know its history incorporating black face into a Halloween costume. That doesn’t make the person a bad person racist or anything like that. But it would be better if that person was made aware of the history of black face and what it once represented.

• Feb 8, 20134:57 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. As someone who did not grow up in this country , I have virtually no sensitivity to American-specific racial issues. Which makes referencing them without elaboration feel like nonsensical race-card playing tendencies.

• Feb 8, 201312:59 pm
    by Piston87

What to say about such a useless article? Nothing

• Feb 8, 20131:01 pm
    by Michelob Mike

acck, chokin’ on my own rage here

• Feb 8, 20131:10 pm
      by Jacob

He says he still has rights!! AHAHAH maybe he should read a criminal justice book because when you break the law you lose your rights and respect.

• Feb 8, 20131:29 pm

You really believe that the American criminal justice system says that once people break the law, they sacrifice all their human rights for the rest of their lives?

I hope you have never done a rolling stop, because otherwise, apparently now anyone is free to come into your home, take all your stuff, and handcuff you naked to the nearest park bench.

• Feb 8, 20131:40 pm
          by Jacob

Maybe you can come explain to my 4 year old daughter, who was watching the game why that mean man punched the other man.

• Feb 8, 20131:57 pm

Sure, tell her he was behaving like an idiot. It was highly unprofessional, mean even, and he received consequences for his actions.

• Feb 8, 20132:03 pm
            by Michelob Mike

“Daddy, why is that man’s name World Peace when he elbows people in the temple?”

• Feb 8, 20132:06 pm

“Because names don’t actually tell us anything about the people. If someone has a nice name, that does not make them a nice person. If someone has a stupid name, that does not make them a stupid person.”

This is a good thing for your daughter to know.

• Feb 8, 20132:10 pm
            by Michelob Mike

“but if someone changes their name to something stupid as a publicity ploy and still act as stupid as they’ve always been, they probably are stupid, honey”

• Feb 8, 20132:41 pm

True, true.

I don’t think Artest has acted the same as ever. But he is a dirtier player than most.

• Feb 8, 20131:06 pm
    by Crispus

You wouldn’t Call Snoop Dogg Calvin Broadus, Whoopi Goldberg Caryn Johnson or World B Free Lloyd B Free. Metta’s name represents a new beginning for him, and although World Peace hasn’t been a saint, he has a better attitude than he did before. Hell, he auctioned his championship ring and donated the money to charitable causes. People calling MWP Ron Artest is just a sign of holding a grudge and rooting for the man to slip. Don’t root against human beings in life, only on the court in basketball games.

• Feb 8, 20131:11 pm
      by Michelob Mike

It’s not that deep. The lack of class Artest has continued to show in Detroit (blowing kisses to the crowd in his first game back after the Malice, his shoutouts to the guy that threw the drink at him, kissing his biceps, hitting BK) show that he still does not deserve our respect here and Blaha called him out on it. And rightly so.

“Rooting for the man to slip” lol, the whole reason he started calling him Artest is BECAUSE he slipped and the classless things I listed above he’s done since being here. Not to mention the elbow to Harden’s TEMPLE.

Yeah, he does some community service and charity work, that’s nice but not THAT big of a sacrifice to a multi-millionaire, especially when the rest of your actions are still terrible.

Respect is earned, sorry.

• Feb 8, 20131:34 pm

You don’t have to respect him. I don’t see why you’d respect Snoop Dogg either. But calling someone by a name that is not his is unprofessional, can we at least agree on that? That’s why it’s message board trolls and not announcers who typically use terms like Kobrick, Westbrick, LeBum, or Gasoft.

• Feb 8, 20131:37 pm
          by Michelob Mike

I’d agree if he did it all the time. Blaha is the consummate pro 98% of the time (actual researched percentage ha) and only crosses the line into what some would deem unprofessionalism when a player’s (or ref’s) actions are reprehensible enough.

If he refused to call him MWP as soon as he had changed his name then sure, I’d agree. After a cheap shot to one of our players? I’m fine with it.

• Feb 8, 20131:41 pm
            by Michelob Mike

also, it’s Snoop Lion now. Not sure why you’re still calling him Snoop Dogg :)

• Feb 8, 20131:39 pm
        by Mike

Its also not like his actions with the Pistons are all hes got on his Douche Bag resume, what about the elbow to Harden?  are you kidding me?  The dude isn’t going through a rebirth.  What did he say following the punch to BK?  he acted like he had never heard of him and was above responding to his actions anymore.  I’m all for someone like Ray Lewis trying to overcome stigma strictly by performing and being a leader for his team and discontinuing the kind of behavior that gave him a bad name to begin, if you believe him or not hes strictly making a positive effort.  Changing your name to some BS gimmick pursuing a rap career that interferes with your basketball career and continuing your on the court cheap shots is not a transformation.  Whoppi Goldberg isn’t out elbowing her fellow cast members in the face on The View.

• Feb 8, 20131:45 pm
          by Michelob Mike

yeah and obviously, those celebrities were never famous with their original names. It’s a bad comparison.

• Feb 8, 20131:07 pm
    by Big Rick

WTF!? So what he called him Ron Artest. George’s character shouldn’t be judged just because he didn’t refer to him by “Meta World Peace”! Just sounds idiotic anyway.
    Not too much else going on when you have to actualy write this. George is a class act.

• Feb 8, 20131:37 pm

So it’d be cool if during today’s game, Blaha called Duncan “mona Lisa”, Parker “john smith”, Ginobili “hugh hefner”, Leonard “mark sanchez”, etc…

Call people by their names.

• Feb 8, 20131:46 pm
        by Count that baby and a foul

who the hell would have a problem bing called hugh hefner?… do you get the “perks” of being hef as well?

really your just making the same inaccurate point you made above. their names were never mona lisa, johns smith, or hugh hefner.

• Feb 8, 20132:07 pm

So? You were once a toddler. You aren’t anymore. MWP was once Ron Artest. He isn’t anymore.

• Feb 8, 20132:08 pm

in name only

• Feb 8, 20132:43 pm

Yes, but “Ron Artest” is nothing more than a name. So no longer being Ron Artest in name alone is a pointless disclaimer.

• Feb 8, 20131:36 pm
    by brgulker

Mountain, meet molehill.

• Feb 8, 20131:38 pm

well that’s Dan for you

• Feb 8, 20132:44 pm

True. And I helped to perpetuate said mountain. But my point was always that whether Blaha is a saint and MWP is a douche is irrelevant to the matter.

• Feb 8, 20131:50 pm
    by Travis

During college and law school, I’ve read a lot of great worldview changing articles over the years, but this is not one of them.This is a lazy attempt to craft a social commentary piece for the readers of the Free Press. The connections you make with Ali and Haley’s character from ‘Roots’ is a lazy connection, if not ignorant.Ali lived in a time of racial divide and during the movement to reclaim back the African heritage in the black community. Artest cannot claim the same motivations.  World Peace legally changed his name because of public relations, similar to a way a corporation alters a products name and label in wake of negative media attention. In fact, Feldman, you are doing a disservice to Ali and the significance of Clay’s name change by connecting it with World Peace. Ali wants to thank you for watering down history by associating him with World Peace.As for Blaha – connecting him, announcing Meta as Ron, and him and Blaha being a Caucasian male is a blatant attempt for you to feel insightful or educated. I’m not saying you aren’t educated – you do know how to write and run an online enterprise, but you ignored or omitted a fact that would nullify your key discussion; Greg Kessler, who is an African American, called World Peace as Ron Artest on more than one occasion. If I were your editor, I would have challenged you to make a more intelligent narrative before publishing a social commentary piece.Stick to sports writing and less social commentary. You could have penned an article about politics, sports and gun control, and it still would have been more respectable then this lazy social commentary.However, entertain your readers by penning a commentary piece about Chad Ochocinco. I’m sure that will be as enlightening as this piece.

• Feb 8, 20131:53 pm
      by Travis

Sorry Ladie and Gents. my comment was ment to be broken up into paragraphs, but the ‘copy and paste’ from my Word Document did not break it into paragraphs.

I apologize for the eye sore of a comment. I personally dislike comments that are not broken into paragraphs.

Once again, my apologies for the eye sore.

• Feb 8, 20132:01 pm
        by Count that baby and a foul

It was a well written eye sore, so all is forgiven.

• Feb 8, 20132:41 pm
        by Crispus

Don’t you think that Metta World peace might had the same motivations and role models that Dan alluded to? Of course MWP is never going to be Ali or Kunta Kinte or Malcolm X, but should we scorn him for tarnishing their legacies, or be forgiving because he is trying?

And frankly I think it was sort of brave for Metta to come out and say that he’s got legitimate mental issues. I remember particularly how incensed Dave Chappelle was that everyone snap-judged him as “crazy” when Chappelle’s show was falling apart and he took that trip to Africa. He later spoke out (in a great interview on behind the actor’s studio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NjYRTHpfU) about how “crazy’ has become a dismissive catch-all that people use to protect themselves from having to exercise empathy or understanding – somewhat more in the black community where metal illness seems to carry increased stigma. Unfortunately MWP got about as far as Royce White (partly because the respective messengers’ actions weakened their messages) and people still call him WORTHLESS THUG GARBAGE no matter what he does.

THAT BEING SAID Blaha has a right to be resentful given that MWP went after Brandon Knight, one of Detroit’s beloved new players, and a kid half Metta’s age and size. If MWP had apologized or made a gesture toward Knight it would be immature for Blaha to hold a grudge,   as it stood, a very slight slip in professionalism is excusable.

• Feb 8, 20133:00 pm
        by Victor

College? Law school? Seriously?
        Go get your PhD and maybe then you could return here and claim that you have academic background to support such statements.

Dan’s piece is nota about MWP being Ali or even being in the same situation, but instead, about the legacy civil rights left, allowing MWP being called the name he’s chosen.

If you’re not able to interpret a simple news article, I can only imagine what you do while interpreting law.

• Feb 8, 20134:09 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Travis,

“World Peace legally changed his name because of public relations”

It makes no difference to me why he changed his name. It just matters that he did. People like Ali blazed so World Peace could change his name with less backlash.

“Ali wants to thank you for watering down history by associating him with World Peace.”

Do neo-nazis or other such groups peacefully demonstrating water down Thomas Jefferson by exercising their first amendment rights? Or do they show that one thing that makes this nation great is that rights are supposed to belong to all citizens?

“Greg Kessler, who is an African American, called World Peace as Ron Artest on more than one occasion.”

I didn’t catch those, but if you say he did, he probably did. I don’t think that’s right, either. But it doesn’t open the scars that Blaha’s oversights did.

• Feb 8, 20132:00 pm
    by 19880607

One thing everybody is forgetting in this debate is that announcers call players by their legal names only about half the time. Everybody know who K-Mart is? CP3? BK-7? Big Ben? MJ? Sir Charles? None of those are LEGAL names. If Ron Artest wants to change his legal name to Metta World Peace that’s his right. Guess what– His new nickname is now “Ron Artest.”

• Feb 8, 20132:09 pm

But are those names that the players are deliberately trying to distance themselves from?

It is more like referring to guys as Westbrick, Kobrick, LeBum, LeBronze, and Gasoft. Would you not consider it unprofessional for announcers to use those names?

• Feb 8, 20132:16 pm
        by Michelob Mike

he’d fare better by distancing himself from the actions instead of trying to whitewash things with a shallow ploy like changing your name. If he changed his name AND his actions, we wouldn’t be discussing this right now. Again, Blaha has had no problem calling him MWP before the cheap shot.

• Feb 8, 20132:41 pm
        by 19880607

Calling someone the name his parents gave him because he is acting like the persona that he is allegedly repudiating is not quite the same as distorting a name to make fun of him. After the Harden concussion I felt he should have been out of the league permanently. I have no respect for him or any of his names. It’s not because of his competitive aggression or the mere fact that he has hurt people, it’s because he is out of control and he hurts people irrationally for no apparent reason. When he said “I don’t remember” about the Knight punch I believe him. I seriously doubt the guy is in control of his own arms and legs.

• Feb 8, 20132:50 pm

The Harden concussion should have permanently put him out of the league? Are you for real? That was a dirty move but it was not shockingly dirty. It was not a “Woah, that’s gotta be the worst thing a player has done all year” moment (although it may have been the worst thing of the year, I don’t remember, but the point is that it wasn’t jarringly awful).

The fact that Harden was concussed is irrelevant. Discipline the behavior, not the results. And if that deserves permanent expulsion from the league, the NBA would have to make permanent expulsions fairly regular. Not a good plan.

Also, the Knight “punch” was more of a slap than anything. It was uncool, but no more so than Knight’s reaction, which was overblown. And much less o than some PP commenter’s suggestion that Brandon should have kicked him in the balls.

• Feb 8, 20133:08 pm
            by Michelob Mike

you’re right, the Harden elbow shouldn’t have gotten him kicked out of the league, but the Malice should have.

• Feb 8, 20133:11 pm

I could see that. But still, a one season suspension seems plenty harsh. I mean, has anyone ever had a harsher discipline from the NBA for anything?

• Feb 8, 20133:50 pm

“I mean, has anyone ever had a harsher discipline from the NBA for anything?”

I think a few guys got permanent bans for drug use. Pretty sure Tarpley ended up with a lifetime ban.

• Feb 8, 20134:58 pm
            by Crispus

Kermit Washington almost killed Rudy Tomjanovich with a punch, he was suspended for 26 games.

• Feb 8, 20132:01 pm
    by Michelob Mike

they still call Glen Davis ‘Big Baby’ when he’s specifically asked not to be called that anymore too

• Feb 8, 20132:08 pm
      by 19880607

True. That’s an even better example.

• Feb 8, 20132:10 pm

That is comparable.

• Feb 8, 20132:12 pm
    by Travis

Well Feldman did achieve the same result that every “shock jock” in America achieves by making a statement that incites the masses; increased attention and exposure.

Kudos to Feldman and PistonPowered for achieving that much with this piece.

• Feb 8, 20132:15 pm
      by Michelob Mike

most of us already read PP though, I think : )

• Feb 8, 20132:20 pm
        by Michelob Mike

Come to think of it, I really hope there wasn’t anything nefarious behind it (to increase readership). I wouldn’t come back if that were the case.

• Feb 8, 20132:43 pm
          by Count that baby and a foul

Everything they write is to increase readership, that is their job. True some might try to do it with quality of writting but not all can do that. It’s why they write stuff that they know people will disagree on. I’m starting to think they get $.01 per comment on the side. Why else would they always take other teams side and make all the subtle comments about how bad the players are. Is brandon knight an all-star, no. Do some people expect to much out of a young guard with little training, yes.

• Feb 8, 20132:52 pm

Let’s just agree that 1 cent per comment would not be worth their time. It is a rare post that hits 100 comments. And that would be worth a dollar? That wouldn’t be worth an additional 5 minutes of effort.

• Feb 8, 20132:53 pm
            by 19880607

We could always use another article about why Drummond needs to play more…of course now I’m just hoping he has a better BACK than Dwight Howard.

• Feb 8, 20132:54 pm

“I’m starting to think they get $.01 per comment on the side.”

No, we don’t get paid by comment at all. In fact, I could get paid $1,000 per comment and it wouldn’t be enough to read some of the moronic nonsense you and a few others post down here.

“Why else would they always take other teams side and make all the subtle comments about how bad the players are.”

OK, it’s PistonPowered’s fault the players are bad. Everyone got it now?

“Is brandon knight an all-star, no. Do some people expect to much out of a young guard with little training, yes.”

That exact thought (albeit much more well-articulated) has been written dozens of times by Dan and myself on this site.

• Feb 8, 20133:16 pm
            by G

Patrick, I agree with you guys a lot, but that article was pretty bad. He calls out Blaha for repeatedly calling MWP “Artest”, suggests it’s a racial issue, and then says he doesn’t actually think it’s a racial issue but it kind of is.

Do you guys watch other games that aren’t broadcast by FSD? Because if you did, you’d see that the national broadcasters do the SAME THING, be they black or white. Probably half the time they call him “Artest”, the other half “World Peace”. and never once did it seem to me that it was racially motivated (and I tend to be pretty sensitive to that sort of things.

I would suggest that Blaha slips up and calls him “Artest” so much because a) that was his name for the majority of his time in the league, and b) because MWP is so far from embodying the idea of World Peace that calling him such feels ridiculous.

You know what would be a better comparison to Muhammad Ali and Kunta Kinte? How about Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, or Isaiah (JR) Rider? I don’t recall there being much issue with them. The Metta World Peace/Ron Artest verbal slip has so many more plausible explanations than “race” and “disrespect”.

• Feb 8, 20133:30 pm

@G:

I won’t really get into the piece by piece analysis of what was written. I didn’t write it, so I don’t want to speak for Dan and try to explain it.

I will say that I get what he was doing — he was taking something that is probably mundane to most people (the fact that, as you point out, many announcers intentionally or otherwise don’t call MWP by his legal, preferred name) and he used obviously exaggerated examples to highlight on a grander scale why it’s important as a professional to call people, even people who seem ridiculous like MWP, by their preferred names. Does it mean he called Blaha a racist or stated that the slips were racially motivated? Of course not. But he did use historical examples to reinforce why announcers today who speak to people from all walks of life really should be more mindful of the many different ways something can be interpreted. It’s not just announcers, it’s everyone in media. If I called him ‘Ron Artest’ in a column repeatedly and didn’t correct myself, I would deserve to be corrected on that.

What I’m responding to in the comments here are some asinine thoughts from a few people — it drives me nuts that the second anyone mentions ‘race’ then dipshits like a few of the people above fly off the handle and say “OMG RACE CARD YER REVERSE RACIST SHUTUP!” Also, the ‘reader morale’ comment was one of the most hilarious/insanely dumb things I’ve read. So yeah, feel free to disagree with the column, I don’t care about that. Your points are well-taken. I love disagreements. I just wish people would do it in a more thoughtful or at least funny way when they do it instead of just being rage-filled, poor-spelling trolls who make no logical points other than “I HATE U DIE DIE DIE” like a few above were.

• Feb 8, 20133:41 pm
            by G

Or “your gay” or whatever. I know. My issue is I have problems calling MWP “World Peace” because of who he is. World Peace isn’t just a name, it means something. Now take the biggest jerk you know. If his mamma named him “Friendly” or something, you’d have a hard time calling him that, even if it was his given name.

I give Blaha credit for calling him World Peace as much as he does.

• Feb 8, 20133:46 pm
          by Dan Feldman

This article will do nothing for our traffic, and that’s the truth. The Pistons making a trade? Our traffic spikes like crazy. But this doesn’t register, and I never expected it to. The number of hits will go up because it’s only 3:45, but this would be our slowest day in weeks if it ended right now.

I’ve never written something I don’t believe to get traffic, and I don’t think anyone who writes for this site would, either. I certainly wouldn’t be OK if they did.

• Feb 8, 20132:46 pm
    by Kazuma

Never thought I would see the day when people were attempting to make Detroit fans more politically correct. Obama must have gotten onto here somehow. Metta World Peace, Ron Artest, it’s the same person. He can’t change his name and expect people to think he’s somehow different. Sorry it doesn’t happen that way. If he had legitimately changed I could see people wanting to call him by his new name considering the difference in character, but come on. He’s the same loser he’s always been with the same temper problems he’s always had. He should have been kicked out of the NBA after going into the stands because he is a professional athlete and it shouldn’t matter what the fans are doing he should keep his cool. It goes back to that old Spider-Man saying, “with great power comes great responsibility.” Fact is those fans were being stupid, but Artest was the one with the power in that situation. The NBA is only keeping him around because Stern likes headlines and Metta brings them by the truck load. As they say in the NBA any press is good press.

• Feb 8, 20132:51 pm

Well, someone is bringing Obama into a MWP conversation somehow, so this thread is officially derailed now.

• Feb 8, 20133:15 pm
        by Michelob Mike

I thought it was “entertaining”

• Feb 8, 20133:21 pm

The column? It was entertaining. The comments in this thread? Mostly not entertaining at all, except for in a Nelson Muntz laughin’ at jerks kind of way.

• Feb 8, 20133:24 pm
            by Michelob Mike

I suspect a bias on your part that is…shall we say…Blaha-esque

• Feb 8, 20133:24 pm
            by Michelob Mike

Btw, I’ve rarely seen a blogger so disdainful of his readers as you, Patrick. Keep up the good work.

• Feb 8, 20133:33 pm

“I’ve rarely seen a blogger so disdainful of his readers as you”

A healthy amount of disdain is good for any reader-writer relationship. And I don’t have disdain for all readers. Just annoying ones who lack critical thinking skills. Very few who comment here fall into that category, actually. Arguing with people doesn’t mean I hate them. It just means I think they make weak or stupid points. If they aren’t weak or stupid points, then by all means, argue back with better evidence.

• Feb 8, 20133:42 pm
            by Michelob Mike

There were only a few trolls in here, you wrote off the majority of the discussion and seem overly defensive about a way off base article, imo (which goes for most of Dan’s articles, btw).

• Feb 8, 20133:51 pm

OK, so you think I’m a dick to readers and you think Dan’s articles suck. Remind me why you’re here again?

• Feb 8, 20133:58 pm
            by Michelob Mike

well I don’t usually post because the articles aren’t quite as ridiculous as this one – moreso just pointless, but I’m a Pistons junkie and I enjoy some of the discussion from some of the readers.

Thanks for telling me to fuck off in so many words though, I was planning to after this anyway, so we agree on one thing at least.

• Feb 8, 20134:05 pm

THIS IS THE AUSTIN DAYE OF BLOGS

• Feb 8, 20132:50 pm

I fail to see how anyone can’t be semi-entertained by a column that worked MWP, Blaha and Kunta Kinte all into it.

Was it an over-the-top way to highlight what is actually a reasonable point — that the many broadcasters (and it’s not just Blaha) who still call MWP ‘Ron Artest’ are a bit unprofessional for doing that? Sure. Last I checked, sports columns are supposed to be entertaining. Lighten the effe up people.

• Feb 8, 20133:07 pm
      by Victor

The proof it’s entertaining is the number of comments.

Dan scored high on this one. For the record, I do think he has a point.

And no. He was not disrespectful at all to Blaha.

Over the top? Probably.

Sensitive to History and its scars? Hell yeah.

• Feb 8, 20133:13 pm
        by Michelob Mike

“Sensitive to history and its scars” oh my GODDDDD man, it’s RON ARTEST. You can’t seriously believe that’s a valid point. Or rather, I won’t be able to take you seriously if you do.

• Feb 8, 20133:22 pm
          by Victor

Who are you? I don’t need you to take me seriously. And please turn off the caps lock.

• Feb 8, 20133:23 pm
            by Michelob Mike

I used caps to emphasize my disbelief at your response to Dan’s inanity.

• Feb 8, 20133:12 pm
      by Michelob Mike

It was entertaining in that it helped pass about an hour of a slow day at work. The article was garbage and the points it made were not light-hearted and tried to bring in serious references to race and civil rights in a friggin’ ARTEST article. Lighten up? How about writing more substantial articles? I’ll compromise, let’s get back to discussing CV’s free throw shooting and how it’s going to affect us and our playoff hopes lol.

• Feb 8, 20133:05 pm

@ Patrick
    let me make sure i have it right. George Blaha, living legend, shouldn’t call somebody by his birth name because it’s unprofessional, but Patrick Hayes should call his readers comment moronic because that is the beacon of professionalism?

• Feb 8, 20133:09 pm

Levels of expectation. No one complains about commenters here calling MWP “Artest” because we don’t really matter.

Blaha is announcing, as his job, at a professional venue, being publicly broadcasted. Patrick is co-running a blog with ESPN affiliation.

• Feb 8, 20133:09 pm
      by Victor

He didn’t call anyone moronic. He just said that some of what was written was moronic. I wrote moronic things all the time. Doesn’t mean I’m a moron… Well, maybe in my case it does, but that’s not the point.

• Feb 8, 20133:13 pm
        by Count that baby and a foul

it didn’t say he called anybody moronic i said “but Patrick Hayes should call his readers comment moronic because that is the beacon of professionalism?”

• Feb 8, 20133:23 pm
          by Victor

Sorry about that, I’m a moron.

• Feb 8, 20133:17 pm

Couple things:

George Blaha is a long-time respected broadcaster who I’ve grown up watching and is very good at broadcasting. I don’t know anything else about him. He’s not owed any special extra reverence just because I’ve happened to enjoy him calling basketball games. He works in the media, therefore getting called out on things is part of the territory. It’s fair to say that broadcasters (not just Blaha, the many who still use ‘Artest’ count in this too) should be held to a basic standard of calling players by the name they’ve been chosen to go by and, in MWP’s case, is in fact his legal name.

“Patrick Hayes should call his readers comment moronic because that is the beacon of professionalism?”

Couple of things — I’m not a ‘professional’ in the traditional sense. I blog about a team I like as a hobby. I’m not pursuing this as a career. You’re right, if I were, I would probably be more selective about how I comment or not comment at all if I did consider this my career. But I don’t. At all. I’m just occasionally hanging out here and talking about a team I like, just like everyone else. And yeah, your comments in this thread are moronic (see: “reader morale” above). I don’t know you though, you might not be a moron.

Also, you’re publishing stuff on the internet. In my mind, if you click that ‘submit’ button, you’re fair game to get called out or questioned just like any other person who publishes stuff in any form on the internet.

• Feb 8, 20133:33 pm
        by Michelob Mike

I don’t see how it’s unprofessional for an announcer to interject his own opinion when the time calls for it. None of you have called Blaha unprofessional before when he gets on the refs for calling bad calls against us. If Blaha outright refused to call MWP after he changed his name on principle, you’d have a case. But he did it after Artest pulled a dick move. And he went back to either calling him MWP or ‘the artist formerly known as Ron Artest’ after that anyway.

• Feb 8, 20133:36 pm
          by Dan Feldman

Blaha called him Artest before the incident with Knight.

• Feb 8, 20133:46 pm
            by Michelob Mike

so has Special K. Your point?

• Feb 8, 20134:07 pm

Oh Dan? Dan? I await your response to this

• Feb 8, 20133:34 pm
        by G

Back up a minute chief – do you honestly think that MWP gets called “Artest” so much because its a way the white man can put him down? Or do you think people feel ridiculous calling someone who intentionally hurts people on the basketball court “World Peace”?

• Feb 8, 20133:39 pm
          by Dan Feldman

Neither. I think people don’t take enough care to call him by the name of his choosing, the name that’s on the back of his jersey. I think it’s just sloppiness, but it’s sloppiness that reminds of this country’s unfortunate racial history.

• Feb 8, 20133:45 pm
            by Michelob Mike

^lol okay, I think I’m done with this site if this is the quality of thinking going on around here. It couldn’t POSSIBLY have anything to do with Artest and who he is and what he’s done (and not only right on our home court). No, perish the thought!

• Feb 8, 20133:57 pm
            by G

That racial history that you refer to wasn’t sloppiness, it was intentional. People intentionally called Ali “Cassius” as a way to knock him down, not because they were being careless. Artest changing his name to Metta World Peace reminds me more of AIG changing its name to AIU because the name AIG had “bad connotations”. The company was the reason the name had bad connotations!

MWP/Artest is responsible for his own name and its connotations. When I think of Artest, I think of a guy rushing into the stands and swinging away (and his other accomplishments, but that one stands out). When I think of World Peace, I don’t want to think a guy starting a brawl.

• Feb 8, 20134:14 pm
            by Dan Feldman

You: “Look, if you want to say “we really should respect MWP’s wishes because of the racial history in this country”, I don’t have a problem with that. But I thought it was sloppy to suggest that Blaha or anybody else called him Artest intentionally or in a racially motivated way.”

Me: “World Peace is still a man who has rights. It’s important we treat him as such. … I truly believe Blaha’s mistakes were innocent.”

So we agree?

• Feb 8, 20134:28 pm
            by G

Kinda, not really. I think you should look into how the player actually feels about it before calling the national media onto the carpet. Perhaps the reason people flip-flop on which to call him has more to do with MWP/Artest’s lack of conviction in that area. It’d be one thing if he said “I wish to be called “Metta” now”, but that’s not what he said. I bet his mom still calls him Ron.

• Feb 8, 20133:40 pm

I have no idea why people call him Artest. It’s probably a lot of reasons. I do have an idea of the expectations of working in media though. As others have pointed out above, even if his name is ridiculous, it’s his name. If you’re a reporter writing a newspaper story and you think his name is ridiculous, you still have to write it. if you’re a broadcaster calling a game, you still have to say it. So just learn to say it. It’s not hard.

• Feb 8, 20133:48 pm
            by Michelob Mike

Most likely because he had just done a very Artest thing in cheap-shotting BK. Don’t be disingenuous now.

• Feb 8, 20133:54 pm

I’m amused that a fan of the Pistons — a franchise that counts among its heroes several players who would make MWP look like a Grant Hill-level gentleman by their dirtiness standards — is getting hot and bothered about an elbow.

Cheap shot? Sure. Something MWP does pretty regularly? Yeah, I’d say he’s among the dirtier (but not dirtiest) players in the league. But anyone who has watched the Pistons for a long time has seen far worse from many players we’ve not only cheered but loved over the years.

• Feb 8, 20133:59 pm
            by G

What? Rick Mahorn, dirty? I bite my thumb at you sir!

• Feb 8, 20133:59 pm
            by Michelob Mike

Granted, but I also wouldn’t give a fuck about what another team’s announcers had to say about Laimbeer.

• Feb 8, 20134:03 pm
    by MIKEYDE248

I can’t believe that this got so blown up.  Reminds me of when Prince changed his name to a symbol.  People called him the artist formally know as Prince.  To me Artest changing his name to MWP is the same thing…ridiculous.

For someone that deserves as little respect as Artest, we shouldn’t be spending this much time defending him.

• Feb 8, 20134:04 pm

But racism d0oD!@@@!!

• Feb 8, 20134:09 pm

If that’s your takeaway from the article, you clearly need better reading comprehension.

• Feb 8, 20134:12 pm
          by Austin_Daye

uh, it was clearly one of the main points of the article

• Feb 8, 20134:14 pm

“ it was clearly one of the main points of the article”

Yes it was. To mouth-breathers incapable of having intelligent discussions.

• Feb 8, 20134:15 pm
            by Michelob Mike

It was clearly a joke. I’ve been partaking in intelligent discussion for most of this thread.

• Feb 8, 20134:16 pm
            by Michelob Mike

but you’re right, name-calling is a clearer indicator of intelligence

• Feb 8, 20134:19 pm

“name-calling is a clearer indicator of intelligence”

Maturity maybe. Not intelligence. History is filled with some highly intelligent name callers. Lincoln famously made grown men cry in the Illinois legislature because his public criticisms of his peers could get so personal. So just think of me of the Lincoln of Pistons bloggers.

• Feb 8, 20134:06 pm

“For someone that deserves as little respect as Artest”

He’s a complex guy with a ton of problems who has certainly had some insane (and a few illegal) missteps in his life/career. But before you decide he’s worthy of almost no respect, check out some of the work he’s done to help raise awareness for mental health issues.

• Feb 8, 20134:06 pm
    by G

FYI guys, it’s not like Artest has a problem with people calling him that.
    From the article:
    “He also said he’s not forcing people to call him by his new name and that his teammates can call him anything”

• Feb 8, 20134:09 pm
      by Michelob Mike

Artest is clearly insensitive to American history and its scars, way out of line here

• Feb 8, 20134:11 pm

The point is, broadcasters/journalists/media are NOT held to the same standard as people/teammates/whoever. His name is Metta World Peace. It’s what he prefers to go by. It’s on his jersey. If you’re a professional covering the league, you should call him by that name. It’s really not a hard concept at all.

• Feb 8, 20134:13 pm
        by G

So call Chauncey Billups by his name, not Mr. Big Shot. Got it. Broadcasters should always call players by their legal names.

• Feb 8, 20134:14 pm
        by G

We’re getting into the ridiculous here.

• Feb 8, 20134:20 pm
        by G

First question Tony Kornheiser asks: Do you prefer that we call you “Ron” or “Metta”?
        Artest’s response: “It’s not like a thing where I’m trying to tell people ‘you must call me this’…”

I believe Kornheiser was asking him how he (Kornheiser, a professional journalist held to those higher standards you refer to) should call MWP/Artest, and Artest’s preference was…whatever. So broadcasters/journalists/media people call him both names. I fail to see the issue.

• Feb 8, 20134:45 pm
          by Dan Feldman

I’m obviously not going to tell World Peace he shouldn’t be OK with people calling him Ron. But to the NBA public, his name is World Peace. That’s the name on the back of his jersey, the Lakers roster and everywhere else similar. Players — to what degree, I’m unsure — can dictate which name is used in these spaces. The man chose World Peace, and I think in this area, that’s what Blaha should call him.

• Feb 8, 20135:11 pm
            by G

What you’re doing is saying its ok for MWP to not care what people call him, as long as those people call him by his given name…

Again, please explain since when it became crucial for play-by-play guys to call people by their legal names as opposed to, say, Worm, Spider, Buddha, and Mr. Big Shot? Or McNasty and McSwine, as Johnny Most used to call Rodman and Mahorn?

• Feb 8, 20134:54 pm
        by CNA5

I didn’t see the game, so I’m not sure about the uses.

There’s actually a recent example that’s a parallel- Chad Johnson (Ochocinco).  The play by play was largely normal calling a catch by Ochocinco.  When they went to more conversation in between plays, they talked about how Johnson was so physical breaking bump and run coverage.

Artest/World Peace is tough because the players and coaches go back and forth to the media.  I remember watching a pregame show a couple of years ago and Phil Jackson said that he thought Ron’s defensive intensity is something that was critical to their success.

It makes me wonder if that complicates things.  It’s really not like Mohammed Ali or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Abdul-Rauf where they never used birth names again.  When players/coaches were interviewed, it was always Mahmoud and not Chris (Jackson).

• Feb 8, 20134:12 pm
    by Clint in Flint

After wasting part of my afternoon reading this tread I have one question. Why would anyone care what Blaha called the idiot?

• Feb 8, 20134:13 pm
    by Austin_Daye

yes, because all announcers are 100% professional all the time lol…you guys should feel fortunate that we have one of the best that only reacts like this to players who DO deserve it.

• Feb 8, 20134:14 pm

anyway, I’m out, nice chatting with SOME of you

• Feb 8, 20134:34 pm
    by Crispus

I think what gets distorted in our judgments of NBA players is the scale of their goodness or badness. The worst thing Ron Artest ever did was the Malice at the Palace no? Maybe punching a fan? The worst thing MWP did was that elbow on Harden right? So what we have is a pro athlete with poor emotional control who gets physical and hurts people (but not seriously and only a couple times at most). Yet the talking heads of internet comment boards (not necessarily this one) quickly lump World Peace in with the first negative stereotypes they think of, inevitably informed by race. Now MWP is a “Thug” who drives around with big rims and smokes blunts and sells drugs, has 8 children by 5 women and the hate grows and grows until he’s metamorphed in the collective imagination into some gold-toothed Willie Horton. “Artest should have gone to jail for 15 years for that Harden elbow!” the comments howl. Metta World Peace has a spotty history as a BASKETBALL PLAYER, but the quick association to larger society’s bad actors who look like him (THUGS!) is a racial reaction. I want to give credit to the commenters on this board for using restraint, but go over to ESPN and you’ll see all kinds of ugly vehement racism sprayed all over any article about Artest or Zach Randolph, or Stephen Jackson or anybody who isn’t a choir boy (like our beloved Kim English).

And I’m curious, when NHL players who are white (and are allowed to fight – go figure) do something awful on the ice, like an egregious high stick, or a sucker punch, how are they judged by fans and commenters? Are they also “thugs”? Are they conflated with some negative white stereotype – serial killers or anti-government kooks like Timothy McVeigh or hillbillies or something like that? What are the differences? The similarities?

• Feb 8, 20135:31 pm
    by Ryank

Screw Artest and World Peace.  Neither one is worthy of respect and we should not even be talking about him.

• Feb 8, 20135:34 pm
    by brandow

me: yo ron artest
    him: its metta world peace
    me: I CAN CALL YOU WHAT EVER THE F**K I WANT!!!!!!
    lol so true

• Feb 8, 20136:09 pm
    by Danny

That was awesome!  Thanks for the laugh George!  Very clever and very truthful!  WMP is a joke and an oxy moron.

• Feb 8, 20136:43 pm
    by GaryN

That really is quite possibly the worst ‘opinion piece’ article i’ve ever read. I can only assume (hope?) that it was written tongue in cheek, and that equating Blaha calling MWP Artest with the white establishment refusing to recognise Ali’s name change, was some kind of a huge satirical joke…
    I mean, did you actually take a second to look back and read what you actually wrote before you published it…? Staggering. The Detroit Free Press clearly didn’t cast their net very far when looking for writers for their Pistons feature artcles…

• Feb 8, 20136:52 pm
    by Travis

Chad Ochocinco is jealous that Meta World Peace is recieving so much attention on a sport fan blog. He’s thinking: Why couldn’t have a local blogger like Feldman wrote the same article, but substituted World Peace for my Ochocinco and Blaha for the local broadcaster?

BTW— Drummond is out 4-6 weeks now…fml as a Pistons fan.