Corey Maggette a buyout candidate

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:

Should we keep an eye out for more major buyout candidates?

KB: I thought Jermaine O’Neal would be the biggest one, but he says he’s staying in Phoenix. I don’t know why he would do that; New York, Miami and Boston certainly would’ve been interested. Beyond that, I view Corey Maggette and Raja Bell as the most likely candidates.

I nearly posted shortly after the trade deadline Corey Maggette could be bought out, but I held the post because I’m not convinced Maggette can play anymore. His style doesn’t hold up well with age, and he hasn’t played at all since Dec. 15. Contending teams could do better, and I’d advise Maggette to reject a buyout for less money than the Pistons owe him unless he has a guaranteed next destination.

For the Pistons, it would be nice to sign a younger player in Maggette’s place. If Maggette accepts a buyout for his salary less a minimum salary, that should be no problem. But if Maggette commands his full salary in a buyout, the Pistons might not have room under the luxury-tax line to sign a replacement.

• Feb 25, 201311:10 am
    by MIKEYDE248

Unless they can buy him out for a lot less than they owe him, I see him just expiring at the end of the season.  Best of luck with a job in the front office or coaching.

• Feb 25, 201311:19 am
    by DoctorDave

Corey owes the Pistons nothing. It is silly for him to even consider taking less to retire right now than to take his full amount and retire in 10 weeks.
    Am I missing something?

• Feb 25, 201311:22 am
      by MIKEYDE248

Only reason I could see him taking it would be if he thought another team would pick him up, but I don’t see that happening and I don’t think he does either.

Kind of like CV picking up his player option for next years money.

• Feb 25, 201312:04 pm
    by Franks Must Go

Wow, can you guys please report news not speculations? We fans do enough of that on our own… Let us know when he get bought out.. Until then, it’s not news, so what did you really just inform us that we couldn’t speculate about on our own?

• Feb 25, 201312:06 pm
    by Franks Must Go

I want Dan Feldman job… get paid to sit behind a desk and speculate about what could possibly happen and report it as news…

• Feb 25, 20137:47 pm
      by gmehl

Show some respect you asshole. Dan and the other guys do a great job at pistonpowered and if you don’t like what they have to write then f**k off and get your piston info somewhere else. I’m not saying you have to like what they write but don’t act like they have it easy writing about a team that has been terrible the last 4-5 years.

• Feb 26, 20131:09 am
      by Talan

Pretty sure that PistonPowered is a fan run website with no full time staff. I doubt there is much money being made. These guys have full time jobs and other commitments but still manage to put out Piston’s content on a daily basis. I appreciate it, and you should too.

• Feb 25, 20131:18 pm
    by Derek

If Maggette thinks he can attract interest…AND
    If Maggette thinks he has more in the tank…AND
    If Maggette has a strong desire to make one last run at a title…THEN

I see him taking a buyout.  HOWEVER

I don’t anyone’s looking at him.
    I don’t there’s anything in the tank.
    I don’t he has any desire to chase a ‘ship.

So we’ve got Corey for the rest of the season.